User Reviews for Celexa (Page 3)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Celexa.

Anxiety and Stress
7.6

Postpartum Depression
7.3

Depression
7.3

Summary of Celexa reviews 7.4 661 reviews

Reviews for Celexa

For Depression "I got prescribed this medication for mild anxiety & minor depression. I usually get overwhelmed by things that should feel not so worrisome, & replay things that irritate or upset me over & over in my head. I've been on a light dose of Celexa for about a week now. I take it at night & don't have trouble sleeping. I will say right when it hits 645 - 7am I wake up & am immediately wide awake though. I have definitely noticed a positive change. Not a huge one, but just enough to make me feel more "normal". I can be a bit of a drag sometimes, & just not my peppy self that I know is hiding in me. This has made me feel much more of a positive peppy "good parts of myself" come out more & I can manage my stress better & lighter than I was before."

AEsp February 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I love Celexa. I have anxiety and it was really starting to effect my performance in college. I started Celexa (10mg) and the first 2 weeks were miserable! I was seriously depressed but after that two week adjustment phase it worked wonderfully! I could feel a tangible difference overnight! I love it but I would warn that the adjustment phase is brutal."

pacea February 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I'm on the generic version Citolopram. First 10mg for 7 days then up'd to 20mg. Now on that for little over 4 weeks. Still feel blah. I've been switching when I take it to see if it helps sleep. Well apparently you need to take at night! It's cousin to lexapro. I just took my 20mg at 9a.m.(to see) an its 2 hrs later an I'm very sleepy. I'm giving it 6 wks . I'm on med #7. I hope this works. Not many left for me to try. Not much side effects with Celexa. Occasional anxiety but I also have Klonapine when needed. So going back to take at night. I am having night sweats occasionally also but lethargy during day."

Zio10 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "This medicine seemed to be helping with my anxiety somewhat, but I had to stop taking it because it was making me extremely forgetful! I would forget simple things, like my daughter had to go to school, what I had for lunch, just things you shouldn't forget. I felt in a fog..was very strange. I'm currently looking for another medication to help with my anxiety and depression, so far no luck :("

AmberLP February 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Coming onto this medication at first I didn't notice anything in particular. I was on the train and I just noticed that my disoriented thoughts and feeling super nervous calmed quite a bit. I did notice I didn't talk as much as I did before I started the medication. It helpsx with my depersonalization. But at the same time it adds fuel to my underlying depression that I had in the past. At the same time I believe that's a good thing. Because it's helping me heal hidden broken parts of myself. It especially helps when talking to my therapist about my past. I hate how tired I am, as I am typing this I think I yawned at least 8 times. Delayed orgasms suck as well...but sometimes I take a day off from taking one pill so it's okay."

brittneywins (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "this made me very weak and made my panic attacks worse. I had almost all side effects including weight loss as I'm already a thin person so I binned it after a few days. I went to my doctor and suggested zoloft instead and it had NO side effects and that helped my panic attacks go."

Blade Runner (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "My mother is 100 1/2 years old and has been living in a nursing home for the past 10 years. Last year she developed severe anxiety (not really depression), fearful of almost everything around her. Totally irrational. At the request of the family, the nursing home put her on 20 mg Celexa and her mood turned around almost immediately with no side effects. She was cheerful again and was willing to take life as it came her way. To see if she could function on a lower dose, about a month ago they dropped her dose to 10 mg and the anxiety returned. Today her dose was brought back up to 20 mg, and we are anticipating a return to her non-anxious self."

Dr BobR February 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I have severe anxiety at work and suffer from OCD. It got to the point where I was having chest pains, shortness of breath, and panic attacks at work. I have taken Xanax occasionally and it seems to help, but only temporarily. I am not a "pill popper" and was very disagreeable when my DR suggested I take a SSRI. I reluctantly agreed to take Celexa as I was in fear of loosing my job. I have been taking 10 mg for two weeks now and I am already seeing a difference. I do not feel anxious or panicky as much and I am able to think with a clear head. I do not seem to worry either. The only side effect so far is hot flashes at night. Celexa has changed my life!"

CindyRella1224 February 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "For the last 15 years I've changed I didn't know what was wrong never wanting to leave my tiny little bedroom not caring what was going on anywhere making excuses not to leave my little comfort zone the funny thing is that I was always an outside person hated being inside now I don't care if I live or die I think it would be better if I would die I think about the unthinkable all of the time I need serious help but don't want to go to a doctor don't like going out does anyone have any suggestions?? I was given this medicine by a doctor about 6 months ago does anyone think it will help I'm on my last hope!!"

Kayfant February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "After self medicating my anxiety for a couple of years with booze, I took initiative to regain control. Went to the ER, they gave me librium to detox at home. Helped tremendously. Walked away from my business (had to, that was my huge stressor, and it was going to kill me). Went through the roller coaster of emotions being sober. So here I am a year later. I asked my Dr for an anti depressant last month to help the lingering bouts of anxiety. She prescribed 20mgs of celexa. Starting with 10 for a week. First week, I seriously felt like I was on e. Euphoric, music sounded better, relaxed...but could not sleep "normal". My sex drive is back and in full swing. Still staying on 10mgs as it still feels strong. Sleeping better the past 10 days."

Quince (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I had severe anxiety when driving and just in general for the past 8 years. I would get so nervous while driving I would shake and my heart felt like it was going to explode, I would get really dizzy. I mostly stayed home and it turned into depression. I had taken Celexa before as a teenager when dealing with anxiety, at that time it worked well for me but I got pregnant and stopped taking it since, that was 8 years ago. My doctor prescribed me to Celexa again and after about a month I started noticing that I was feeling so much better. I could drive without much anxiety at all. I wasn't shaking or feeling I was on the verge of an attack. I never realized how much anxiety was taking over my life. The only side effect is pretty bad dry mouth"

BenTen (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I suffered with anxiety my entire life, and I graduate school it became dehabilitating. I would have panic attacks randomly and my heart was always racing. My GP put me on 10 mg of Celexa, and after about a week I was feeling much better. I have been on it for about 2 months now and feel like an entirely new person! The only negative side effects I have experienced were a bit of drowsiness when I first started (my body has adjusted), and frequent, very vivid dreams."

Ronda3556 January 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postpartum Depression "This is by far the worst antidepressant I have ever taken in my life. I took this pill for Severe post-partum anxiety/OCD. I stayed on it for 17 months. And it was truly the worst 17 months of my life. The worst intrusive thoughts I have ever experienced, felt like I was in a constant panic attack 24/7 where I literally felt like I was going insane, my thoughts were constant loops of irrational fears and I would do anything to try and make them stop, I thought I had something spiritually wrong with me or I was going insane, horrible derealization, lost connection with almost every person except my boyfriend, no connection with my baby, couldn't feel any of my body, lost all faith in God and hope."

aasldfhasdiovpasdifafasdfpaosd (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Celexa does get rid of anxiety, however, it also destroys the rest of your life. The should call it the boner killer, because you will never get an erection as long as you take celexa. And its tough to call yourself a man if your junk isn't working. That leads to depression. So right now I am in a tough spot. Go back to anxiety, or stay depressed? I don't feel like this throwing darts type treatment is good. Either something works or it doesn't. In my opinion, if the side effect are worse than the problem, drug doesn't work."

Rob1111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I lived with anxiety/depression for years. Everyday felt like a struggle. I experienced a period of intense stress during grad school in my early 30's, and decided to seek help. If I only did this in my 20's I could have accomplished so much more. Celexa took away my anxiety and depression, but it took a couple months to work on 20mg. I felt like myself, I felt happy. I had no side effect, no weight gain, nothing. Since I felt so great I attempted to taper down and had bad withdrawal. I decided to stay on it. My 20mg stopped working after two years so I got up to 30mg...I think it "pooped out". I have bad depression now- sleeping all the time and anxious. I was switched to an SNRI, but celexa changed my life and I'm glad I tried it first."

Beachboxer (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I had severe anxiety and agoraphobia. Every time I would get in a car I would wonder if I was going to die that day. These symptoms all started when I had children. I started to wonder what would happen to my children if something happened to me. And I thought about how attached they are to me and how it would break their hearts. So I told my doctor about it. She prescribed Celexa. I've been on it for about 2 months now and the quality of my life has changed so drastically. I'm not always thinking about dying. I'm able to go out in crowds and not be worried. Yesterday I was dealing with something stressful and I was stressed about it, but I stayed calm and I moved on. It didn't consume me like stressful events used to do."

JLK87 December 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on celexa for a bit over a year to treat my clinical depression which I had for 5 years and general anxiety which I had for 3, and it has literally saved my life. I started with 5mg and worked up to 40mg, and I've never felt better than I do after being on celexa. It's helped me so much, I can finally live and enjoy my life again"

Jess_18 December 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I was on 20mg for about 9 months for severe panic disorder. I was having 2-3 panic attacks per day. Once I was on the med for two weeks I was so much better. Unfortunately about 9 months in the panic attacks came back worse than before. Only side effects were mild nausea and sore leg muscles during the first few days."

J1988 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "2nd time on Celexa. First was in 2011. I weaned myself of. Started 20mg daily this year due to extreme anxiety and panic attacks. No I'll side effects. It's a blessing to me."

GeckoBrak November 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "My doctor started me off with 10mg then two weeks after I went up to 20mg. I feel great and my depression is gone. However, ive been on it for a month and a half and find that I can't sleep. Before celexa I was sleeping too much and now I cant sleep unless I recreationally take xanax. Now my anxiety is high because I can't sleep and when I do sleep it's because of xanax which makes me sleep for 12 hours and then I wake up late and I'm unmotivated to do anything. Should I see my doctor for this? I love xanax cause it makes me feel better for my anxiety a night but I'm scared I'll start abusing it especially since I don't have a prescription."

Becca136 November 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I had been on Wellbutrin, which worked great for me but my insurance would not cover the cost and my insurance does cover Celexa so my Dr. switched me to Celexa to see if it would work for me. The first 2 weeks I felt great! I had tons of energy and just felt really good. I did have some mild nausea but not something that I couldn't handle. After 2 weeks I started feeling extremly tired and went from sleeping 6-7 hours per night (the most I have ever slept at night) to sleeping 10 hours a night. I also feel really tired and just blah all day. I got to the point that I just feel numb and stopped caring about anything. Dishes and laundry piled up, don't care. Family needs dinner, don't care. Needless to say I will be switching meds!"

DanniLeigh November 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on Celexa for 2 months for depression, starting at 10 mg, then 20 mg, and now at 30 mg, which is a good dosage for my symptoms. In 2015 I spiraled into a dark depression which I never experienced before. It was a very lonely, empty hopeless feeling. I lost interest in everything I had previously enjoyed, and dreaded waking up in the morning. It went on for a year before I decided to try medication. For the first 2 weeks on Celexa, there was no change. Then, the 3rd week I was able to cope with negative things so much better. By the 4th week, I slowly began to do things again. I am now back to my old self again, which is a great feeling! The only side effects are groggy mornings accompanied with intense yawning."

Renee L. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "So for months I have been having severe anxiety and panic attacks. I finally went to the doctor because it has made my life a living hell on a day to day basis and depression has started to creep in from being so stressed out over having the anxiety itself. I was prescribed citalopram 20mg but after reading reviews I let it sit on my counter for 2 weeks for fear of taking it and making my anxiety even worse. Yesterday I finally said screw it and took 1/4 of a pill (5mg) to start. I was at the point where I'm just sick of having anxiety every day and nothing, not even the side effects could be worse. I didn't have any weird reactions. I did get really sleepy about 2 hours after taking it but it was late evening so I didn't mind."

serendipity83 November 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I recently started celexa, my doctor told me to start with 10mg for a week than go up to 20mg. I noticed a difference with the very first pill, I felt more anxiety and severe nausea. I kept taking the pills and it got worse with every dose. I couldn't leave my house or bed, it made everything worse. My doctor said to keep taking them so I did. 6 days later I couldn't take it anymore so I stopped and the withdrawal side effects are just as bad, extreme nausea and excessive anxiety, it's been a terrible roller coaster ride. After not being on it for a week I'm finally starting to feel better."

Harrycat November 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was placed on Celexa in 2008 and have been on it ever sense. Although at one point in 2011 I thought I could stop taking it and took myself off for about 3 months and felt the difference. It has truly given me back my peace and happiness!!!"

LDeeHappyLaddii November 10, 2016