User Reviews for Concerta

ADHD
7.1

Summary of Concerta reviews 7.1 302 reviews

Reviews for Concerta

For ADHD "Crash all the time and can't get through a full day of work"

Seano (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2019

For ADHD "I have been taking Concerta for 2 years after I had heart issues with Ritalin to treat my ADHD. In the two years my grades have been well but I feel like I am losing myself slowly, I'm not as active and happy as I was when off medication. But recently I have been experiencing side effects more frequently with higher intensity. I am taking 54mg of Concerta daily except for Sundays. I have had a lot of shaking in my hands lately and it does not affect my daily tasks but it is really worrying since I never experienced this before. Anyone else having this issue? Although this drug has side effects it has really helped my grades. My advice is if you really need this medication be weary of the side effects because everyone reacts to the drug differently and from what I found online, not many people have had these hand tremors like I do when on Concerta."

Justastudent (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 31, 2018

For Narcolepsy "I had difficulty staying awake. I was taking all kind of meds for mood disorders and most of them caused drowsiness and weight gain. In 2016, I did a sleep study test, but didn't qualify for a CPAP machine. So I tried narcoleptic meds but they didn't work well for me. My doctor prescribed Adderall XR which was great for a while until I needed higher dosages to function but the side effects weren't worth taking the med. So I stopped all stimulants. Did a sleep study test in January of 2018 and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. The CPAP machine wasn't enough alone for the narcolepsy. Now I take Concerta and feel alert and I usually wake up before 6am. Concerta helps me and I only take 27mg."

Jetter775 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2018

For ADHD "I started taking Concerta a few days ago. It seems to have less side effects than Adderall. It helps with concentration and focus. However, when it wears off about 7-8 hours I begin to feel depressed and don't want to leave my house. I heard that adding Ritalin IR @ 5mg may help. So next time I see my doctor I will discuss this with him. I don't want to change my current antidepressant but if I begin to crash again I may switch from Lexapro to Wellbutrin which is also good for ADHD (off label use)."

Maxwell812 (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2018

For ADHD "No effective, and bad side effects"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2018

For ADHD "I was on this drug all through my childhood and feel emotionally ruined because of it. My brain didn't have a chance to develop properly because it was on drugs all my life. When I graduated high school my parents stopped forcing me to take it and I've been off of it for 5 years trying to deal with the symptoms that are actually just manifestations of developmental trauma. (Read "Scattered Minds" By Dr Gabor Mate if you want to know what I'm talking about) All in all, don't push drugs on your kids. There are alternatives. I took a pill the 3 days ago because what I was doing wasn't working and I needed something extra and I had muscle pain and weakness and headaches for 2 days after, could barely sleep, and have had constipation since."

Sally Shaker (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2018

For ADHD "This drug is a life saver. If it wasn't for this drug I would be failing in college and sleeping all day. Concerta has help me study and lessen my depression symptoms. Its definitely worth the risk. The only downside to this drug is that it doesn't last 12 hours well at least for me. It lasts like 9 to 10 hours. Also as with other ADHD medicines, you can become tolerant to the point you don't notice it working. My grades improved with this medicine and I was able to write a 10 page paper in the 12th grade and a 25 page paper in my junior year of college. I'm even more organized outside of school. I wash my clothes and shower more on this medicine. I can finally read more without getting mentally tired as much. I wouldn't be able to pass my classes in college if it wasn't for concerta. EVERYBODY with ADD OR ADHD should try medicine for it. I recommend concerta because it lasts throughout the day. It lasts longer than ritalin."

Omegatron (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 13, 2018

For ADHD "My brother was prescribed Concerta two years ago, and I feel the need to share his story so everyone knows how helpful this drug is for people suffering from ADHD. He is taking it and Strattera both for his condition, and the Strattera worked well for a long time, but when he was prescribed Concerta in addition to this to further help with his symptoms, it was just amazing. His breakdowns and tantrums decreased in number, he started doing his chores and homework again, and he started doing random little things to help other people out. This medication is a controlled substance, so it's harder for him to get than his other medicine-- he has to have an appointment with a specialist every two months to stay on it, though I don't think it's that way for everyone. He was born addicted to the painkillers my mother was on, as he was seven weeks early, and therefore has a higher chance to become addicted to substances in the future, but this does not seem to be a problem so far with Concerta."

Anonymous October 4, 2018

For ADHD "I am have been taking concerta for 3 months now and I don't see any improvement in my concentration when it comes to learning. 18 to 37 dosage. I think I going to have to stop concerta."

Fernando September 7, 2018

For ADHD "A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with inattentive ADHD and was first given Vyvanse. It caused me to have awful anxiety and chest pains. This turned me off to stimulants for a while. Finally, I started seeing a new Dr and he prescribed me Concerta XL for my long days at work and it has definitely changed my life. At first it was for my ADHD but it also helps with my depression. It makes me feel awake but not jittery and anxious. I feel more social and talkative (I'm very shy and people always make comments on how I don't talk that much). I don't have as many bad days like I was having before. I still get them but they seem to be more mild and less often. There is a slight come down period when it is wearing off and you can get a little bummed during this time. Its not as bad with the long acting Concerta like it is with regular methylphenidate. I highly recommend trying these medicines."

krispkripi August 21, 2018

For ADHD "On this Medication I have experienced decrease in appetite, increase in libido, difficulty falling asleep, irritability, increased anxiety and times where I seem to lack positive emotion"

Jtc763 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2018

"I took a 36 mg concerta, for the first time ever taking it, yesterday and everything was super enhanced like the speed that I could work things out and perform basic tasks yet it really messed with my senses (mostly taste sight and sound) , heart beat (doubled at resting) and temperature (cold hands and feet) but the weirdest thing of the trip was I was playing jelly bean boozeled and all of the terrible flavours like dog food and barf tasted alright."

Drugmandan (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2018

For ADHD "Concerta works very well in the first years. Gradually I started showing many signs they have here, headache, flu like symptoms, I cannot sleep, out burst of excitement, changes in personality, nausea, and skin rash and skin splitting. I am going to change to another product that does not have all these symptoms."

Topaz (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2018

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with inattentive ADHD/ADD at the age of 21 while at university, as well as mildly chronic fatigue, and was prescribed concerta; first 18mg (which wore off too fast) and now 36mg. When I first started taking it it felt like a miracle drug - for the first time in my life I felt awake, driven, and organized. Over time, it has become less effective - its definitely tolerance building - but it's still way better than going without. I get chest pains and headaches sometimes, I have started getting mild anxiety (which I never had before), and I feel the cold a lot more than I used to. All of this would be completely fine were it not for the main side effect of concerta: weight loss. After around 18 months of taking it daily, my weight has gone from 130lbs to 104lbs - regardless of how much I eat."

Sanamun June 24, 2018

For ADHD "I grew up with severe panic attacks. When I was 19 up until the age of 27, I stayed in my room. I couldn't leave my house. I had/have severe anxiety and depression Years went by and I lost hope. I didn't have a job; I was a loser. I took a mindfulness class and after each mindfulness tape, I noticed I was in extreme pain; more so than the other people sitting around me. It was then that I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was prescribed adderall and Vyvanse for my adhd but they made me extremely tired. Currently, I am on cymbalta, concerta, and Remeron. With this combination, I began a full time job. I have been employed for 7 months and I would be lost without Concerta. If you're looking for a drug that is similar to Wellbutrin, Concerta is the answer. Do not give up hope. Never give up hope. Don't take 'no' for an answer and if a doctor is diagnosing you incorrectly, leave and find a different doctor. There is a right combination of medication out there for you. Never give up!"

29 female April 15, 2018

For ADHD "I was recently switched from my Adderall XR 10mg to Concerta 18mg because my insurance didn't want to cover my Adderall until I tried Concerta. The transition has been terrible. I've only been on the medication for 5 days and it has been horrible. I was optimistic going in because I've never tried it before, but it has been a rough 5 days. On Concerta my restlessness is worse, I have no desire to eat because the thought of food disgusts me, I get headaches, I have zero motivation to do anything, and I feel extremely down/apathetic. I've heard this medication works for some people, but it was horrible for me. I'm so glad I can switch back to Adderall."

ADHDer (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For ADHD "I was on Vyvanse but since I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, I wanted to try other meds to see whats the most effective. I tried Concerta and it was awful. It didn't do anything for concentration, made me feel nauseous, stomach aches and some crazy anxiety. Went back on vyvanse! At least now I know I don't react well to Methylphenidate meds."

Dx March 28, 2018

For ADHD "I've been on concerta for ADHD for almost 2 months and feel better than in 25 years. I also suffered with depression and anxiety. My depression and anxiety are better, I feel alive and myself for first time in decades. I can get things done. I forgot to take citalapram 20mg/celexa last week and now haven't taken citalapram for 6 days and feel great. I am concerned as when I tried to stop citalapram in the past I felt crazy and could not do it and that was using step downs method - this is cold turkey. It seems somehow the concerta is offsetting weaning off symptoms so I hope this all lasts. It is a life saver. I was so tired of being depressed, overwhelmed, pretty lethargic, overweight. It is great to feel excited and not have food cravings."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

For ADHD "This med is the worst thing. I feel completely numb to everything. Only sometimes does it make my depression worse because I'm not able to express myself because of the numbness the medicine causes me. I hate I wish I could change meds but my mom and doctor seem to think this is good for me"

lacey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2018

For ADHD "It did help me to calm my brain, but it gave me a very fast heart rate, anxiety, and caused me to loose weight. My normal weight is about 140 and at my lowest on concerta I weighed 123. It did help with the ADD, but didn't work completely, so I stopped taking it because the side effects outweighed the help."

Viv (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

For ADHD "I was seven years old when I was diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Concerta. I took this medication for three years and there were definitely a lot of changes. Yes, I was able to focus in school I remember that. I remember while on the medication I always wanted to try and do my best. But I was never hungry, never tired, never wanted friends, never wanted to talk. I was like a zombie. I remember being bullied by other students because they thought I was weird. I remember crying all the time because I was always sad. Once I stopped taking the medication I finally gained weight and started talking; as well as paying attention in class. Concerta may have helped me focus more, but it took away three years of my childhood that I can hardly remember now. I will never be the same."

KaitlynnLouden February 20, 2018

For ADHD "Like many others this has definitely changed my life also. I can function and do things I never thought possible."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 16, 2018

For ADHD "I have both ADHD and mild/moderate narcolepsy. I have been on concerta for 9 months. I had not taken any medication til I was a teenager (my parents were very against it) so I took Wellbutrin for a while to help with depression and my ADHD and narcolepsy however it was not strong enough, so I switched to concerta and am taking 36 MG. It changed my life. For years I could not go a day without taking a nap, could not focus at all in class. I just started college a few months ago and got a 4.0 my first semester which seemed impossible for me years ago. I can finally focus and stay awake, I cried a lot at first because I was so not used to this!! The only negative parts are insomnia, anxiety, and irritability. I recommend having the same bedtime every night and having something like melatonin on hand to combat this. Also take your concerta at least 12 hours before you plan on going to bed. These side effects aren't horrible though, the good by far outweighs the bad!"

avery48 February 13, 2018

For ADHD "I have a love-hate relationship with Concerta. The pros of the drug are that I can put two and two together, stick with mundane tasks (and look forward to them), read long, boring documents and catch errors, etc. The cons are the side effects- no sex drive, (sometimes) anxiety, a weird "aura" or buzz that lasts for awhile and depression. Lately I've been using natural treatments that are effective. Overall, though, Concerta did help me."

Pacercop (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 29, 2018

For ADHD "This medication was literally life changing for my son with ADHD (impulsive and hyperactive). He had impulsive, hyoeractive and aggressive behavior and they tried other meds like antipsychotics which made him worse! He started concerta (after I demanded a stimulant) and he is a different child - able to focus, not as impulsive and hyperactive and the aggression is gone!"

Kattyh (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2018