User Reviews for Concerta

Narcolepsy
6.9

Reviews for Concerta

Amir · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2021

For Narcolepsy: “I have both mixed sleep apnea and narcolepsy, I have been taking 18mg Concerta pill each morning for 6 days now. From day 1 the continual tiredness and falling asleep has stopped, I am able to concentrate and focus at work for prolonged periods of time, where as before I would take a break wash my face every 30 minutes to try to avoid feeling sleepy. Now I am sleeping better ( using CPAP machine) and awake as normal during the day…really happy with the results…. Also so far I have had no side effects other than on day 3 my vision was a bit weird for about an hour then returned to normal…. Overall a positive experience”

Anonymous May 1, 2021

For ADHD: “I am a 35-year-old female. I suspected I had ADHD, generalized anxiety and Depression for many years based on severe mental illness in my family but have only recently been diagnosed. After the effects of Covid and a family crisis while trying to finish a Master's degree, I was overwhelmed and unable to do anything. I began Concerta and it gave me hope. Drugs are not a magic pill. If you think only taking Concerta will fix you, that is the wrong attitude. You have to make other efforts like counselling, or changing your environment. Concerta changed my life, but it was coupled with a lot of effort to create the right conditions for me. I began waking up early to work in the morning so would not be distracted by anyone or anything. I made sure to eat my three meals a day, even if the drugs suppressed my appetite. I highly recommend it. It's really worth a try. I'm on the 54.mg”

Nick the Greek · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 28, 2021

For ADHD: “I believe that has no effect at all. They joke with us.. Last year was working for 2 month at least . But now the production gives only fast heart rate and impulsive. Waste of money. I can't understand their reason.”

Seabass February 11, 2020

For ADHD: “My 9 year old son has been on 18 mg of it for a month now and it truly is a miracle! We literally noticed a difference in him the very first day. His appetite has actually increased! His sleep has not been affected..He actually goes to bed now the first time we tell him to. He will still express that he doesn't feel tired and that he doesn't want to go to bed but when we tell him that he needs to he just goes to his bed without the fighting or trying to do anything else to stop from going to bed. He is more loving and affectionate now whereas before he was always so defiant. He does cry a bit easier now but it's better than the anger he felt before. He's helpful and considerate and empathetic. We reluctantly gave him this drug and it has saved my marriage and our overall quality of life has improved drastically. He did a presentation in school and received an A! Just try it.... You will know right away if this works for you..hopefully you are one of the lucky ones.”

Chippy · Taken for 10 years or more October 4, 2020

For ADHD: “I am 54 been taking methylphenidate (ritilan first then concerta) for 14 years, decided to come off cold turkey to see if the doctor made a misdiagnosis lol.. After a month I was sleeping in the woods, homeless driving a Mercedes Benz, when I realized something was wrong ! I am on meds for second day now and after an hour I could feel myself becoming, emotionally and mentally comfortable! I couldn’t stop running for an outside solution to an inside problem! Could not focus, could not engage at work, so I didn’t work therefore everything started to crash down around me , I almost lost everything I had and loved! ADHD for me is here too stay ! I will end with this I have no chance on a normal life without the help of medication!”

Pat1414 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

For ADHD: “Having suffered with Depression and ADHD as an adult, honestly this medication is a godsend. I'm only on 18mg (Extended release) and take it with Wellbutrin (for the depression) and I must say it's a life changer! (The X release makes a big difference - blood levels are more stable) No more emotional moods, no more crying, no more feeling like dying, no more negative thoughts. Also, you can concentrate for long periods of time and not get frustrated and be very clear minded. I can study for 6 hours straight! After trying so many medications, this just works. Side effects: Fast heart beat, LOTS of energy and maybe a libido boost. Really good for adult ADHD and Depression. Please note. Everyone is different. You might have a different experience.”

Gabby · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2020

For ADHD: “I’ve been on Concerta for the past week and a half. On one hand, it works really well when it comes to productivity and organization, as it keeps me energized and focused, and also improves my driving skills! However, taking this medication has significantly worsened my mental health, causing me to experience paranoia, mood swings, anxiety, and even some suicidal thoughts. Although it does its job, I can’t keep taking it simply due to the effect it’s been having on my well-being. I’ll be scheduling an appointment with my doctor to change my prescription momentarily. However, just because Concerta hasn’t worked for me, that doesn’t mean it can’t/won’t work for you.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more July 8, 2014

For ADHD: “I've been taking Concerta for the past 14 years since it came out (24 now) and I don't plan on changing unless I'm forced. I've tried other medications and none work as well with as few side effects. Right now I take the 54mg. Sure I experience some side effects, but I've learned to manage them over the years (force myself to eat etc). The treatment of ADD/ADHD is only effective through a multifaceted approach, medication AND counseling/therapy/behavior coaching. Without Concerta I would never have made it through school or had successful relationships. ADD makes life hard, but with the right combination of treatments it is more than manageable.”

Together · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 27, 2020

For ADHD: “Since starting on Concerta, I have been able to effectively get my life together. I am no longer impulsive, hyper, inattentive or anxious. The last two years have been the best I've ever experienced. I struggled with procrastination and mood issues prior to being medicated for ADHD. Past inaccurate diagnosis caused doctors to label my ADHD-I with a number of false mental health issues. The wrong medications caused a lot of damage in my personal life. Now, I have finally been able to get my life together. Concerta is a very good medication for those with ADHD/ADHD-I.”

Jack · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

For ADHD: “My 9 year old son has struggled for years, in school and at home. Impulsive behaviour, anger, inappropriateness. I always fear the worst and avoided medication for 2 years. It’s been one week since he has been on 18 mg concerta, and it’s been a lifesaver. He enjoys school now, not getting in trouble, he’s so much better at home as well. No side effects so far, eating and sleeping no problem. So happy we choose this path Hopefully self esteem and relationships can be saved:)”

Nurse and mom · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 30, 2013

For ADHD: “I am a pediatric nurse and a mother of a child with ADHD. The nurse in me hated the thought of medicating my son with anything yet the mom in me knew something needed to be done. My son went on Concerta at age 6. He takes 36 mg and today is 12 and still on the same dosage. It has helped him in so many ways...grades, focusing, decrease aggressive behavior, and friendships just to name a few. Though I was resistant this was the best choice for my child. It's been 6 years and he is great. It does decrease his appetite during the day time but he does catch up in the evening with calories. I highly recommend a daily Carnation shake with whole milk or a multivitamin if your pediatrician agrees, to prevent missing any nutrients. Good luck to you all.”

Anonymous February 22, 2010

For ADHD: “I dont know how I feel about it. I'm 21, I was diagnosed with adhd this summer. My grades went from c's and b's to A's and deans list. I can't say I hate it, But i can't say I love it either. I use to be this free spirt girl who was bubbly and loved to go out with my friends.. Although, I did have issues with controlling my impulsive mood swings, I still was really happy. Since taking it the past 7 months, my friends call me the cave dweller. It's sad because I'm actually content with being alone. It use to drive me nuts. I'm almost scared to talk to people i dont know My social life has gone in the dump. Nothing bothers me. It makes me get really good grades, but it takes away the passion. I feel like a computer.”

Mommyandson · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 5, 2013

For ADHD: “My son was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 6. I was extremely against trying medications, but after an extremely difficult kindergarten and start of first grade, I decided that it was worth looking into. My son was miserable, and it broke my heart to see him coming home everyday in tears. We tried a variety of behavioral interventions, but nothing worked and my son was not happy. We decided, based on a friend's advice (her daughter had success with concerta) to give it a shot. OMG! It was like night and day! Slight decrease in appetite initially, but other than that, it's been a godsend. Wishing all you parents the same success we had!!!!”

Jennie · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

For ADHD: “I've been on Concerta for a few weeks now, I was just recently diagnosed with ADHD and it's my first medication. I am a 15 year old female. I started with 18 mg but didn't feel any difference. It only decreased my appetite (I lost about 5 lbs a week) to the point where I became underweight. My doctor recently upped my dose to 36mg and I feel worse than before. I've been having a hard time falling asleep and have slept very restlessly. I am still losing weight. I've also noticed that I feel more moody and impulsive. And I have been hyper fixating more and lashing out on my family. I have a doctor's appointment next week where I hope to switch medications.”

Anonymous September 9, 2009

For ADHD: “My son is 10 years old. I suspected he had ADD when he was 6 and the teacher kept telling me he was spacing out in school, but he is also so smart I decided maybe the work was just too easy and he was bored. In 4th I couldn't take the complaints (almost daily)and had him tested and he was diagnosed with ADD and given Concerta. I can only tell you that his math teacher sent me home a note on the day he started medication to ask where I got my new son from, she could not believe it. She said he even went in during his lunch break to catch up on some work. He lost his appetite for the first week or so, but regained it and hasn't had trouble sleeping at all. He is happier, his teachers are happier and I am HAPPIER! Thank You CONCERTA.”

28 March 7, 2010

For ADHD: “I've used Concerta for 5 years and loved the improvements at first - I became successful, in perfect shape, and did most things extraordinarily well. My life did a complete 180. Once unfocused, unmotivated and disorganized, I transformed to near perfection in everything I did. The price you pay for perfection - I've lost my friends and my social abilities. I used to be fun and full of life! You begin to seclude yourself because you are too focused, too mechanical. You lose weight because your appetite goes away and you are indeed anorexic. I couldn't sleep, had extreme anxiety, headaches, dry mouth, highs and lows....I can go on and on. It changes you and you may think it's great but ultimately you lose yourself in the process.”

nursebunney · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2014

For ADHD: “My 4th grade son began taking Concerta 2 1/2 weeks ago. It has been the best decision I ever made. His teacher says he is a completely different child. His funny personality remains but he is on task, finishes all his homework in class, and actually tells other children to quite down. I lamented for many, many months about whether or not to have him begin a stimulant. It is obvious that it was the right decision. I make sure he eats a hearty breakfast. He knows he needs to push himself to eat something at lunch and drink plenty of fluids. He did tell me he felt "prickles in his head" for the first 2 days. His teacher reported he was a little tired for a couple days as well. He says his mind is more clear and "not so jumbled". We're thrilled”

John · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2020

For ADHD: “I am in my early thirties and very recently started drug trials for ADHD. After trying Vyvanse which didn't work out I moved to concerta. On the lowest dose I had concerns, as it seemed to make my ADHD symptoms worse. I became more irritable and more distracted. After a week I moved the dose up the next level and had a terrible day. Extremely irritable, so lethargic I could do almost nothing all day, difficult time sleeping... I had difficulty dealing with my children if they did the slightest thing wrong. Concerta is not for me, I will try something else.”

Kate432 January 6, 2015

For ADHD: “My son is in 4th grade and just started taking Concerta two days ago. So far so good! He is dealing with severe ADHD. He was a very angry child and since he started taking it the teachers have sent notes home saying how well he is doing! School is easier so far which means a happier boy! He hugs me and kisses me and we have had less fights about getting homework done. We are very pleased!”

carly_t February 2, 2008

For ADHD: “my daughter just started taking concerta for ADD about 3 weeks ago and she has made significant improvements. she is now able to stay on task and complete assignments, which she was having a hard time doing before. there has been no difference in her personality, which was a concern of mine. she also has developed a better sleeping pattern, whereas before she had tendency to have insomnia. ”

Ziggy36 April 20, 2013

For ADHD: “Concerta has made me more focused and things seem to be easier to understand for me. I am 36 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD. This is a wonderful medication and for me, life changing. I now know I needed this medication for many, many years now. And so far no side effects, sleep better and still have my appetite. I have more energy and I don't procrastinate anymore when I need to do something I just do it without procrastinating about it. Exercise is also easier, which is good because I am overweight and need to lose some weight. I seem to be able to interact with people a lot easier and now I can have a conversation with people without blurting out things before I forget what I want to say and having to pause in between sentences.”

Fuzzy June 6, 2019

For ADHD: “My daughter was 9 when she was diagnosed with ADHD, but I always knew, but figured if it didn't effect her schoolwork, why treat it. Well, come 4th grade her teacher commented that her grades are okay, but she's much brighter than what she displays and is completely distracted. Just a week or so before the teacher meeting, I was just starting to think I would get her evaluated since she started to hate herself, getting in her own way (you ADHD folks know what I mean by that). She was put on Concerta and is now in honors math and a straight A student. The best part was seeing her go from hating herself to loving herself and her owning how bright she is. People would tell her she's bright, but she just didn't believe it until she was able to work up to her full potential. Also, afterwards I was diagnosed with ADHD and am having great success with Ritalin and will be switched to Concerta at my next visit.”

C11 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

For ADHD: “I've struggled with ADHD and depression for about half my life, I started this medication around 3 months ago. I take the 54 mg dose. I've tried probably every antidepressant there is, and quite a few for anxiety. But this I think personally Concerta has helped quite a bit in regards to both. Because of it I've been able to wean off my antidepressant and no longer have to take it. The appetite suppressant does help me out since I'm working on weight loss, but it can also be a struggle to eat at times or find a food that is appetizing in general because of it. And the medication can cause constipation and dry mouth, which is inconvenient. Overall, I think it's helped me a lot in focusing on course work and it's intended purpose.”

Vin9321 September 17, 2014

For ADHD: “If you have ADHD, pills like Strattera (non-stimulant) do not seem to work. You do need a stimulant. Concerta is amazing medication. I used to be on it from 2nd grade all the way until 9th. Looking back now, at 21 years old, I see that after I stopped it in high school, my grades dropped. Just started taking the average adult dose of 36mgs and it has really helped me in class, although there isn't an insane change. MAKE SURE TO TAKE IT WITH A DECENT MEAL OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER. If you don't, you'll find yourself with an upset stomach for a lot of the day.”

Sunny · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2020

For ADHD: “It took a while to get used to but I weigh about 160 lb. and take 54mg daily now. Overall, it just makes it so much easier to be focussed and organized, with the meds I can actually keep routines. Biggest side effect for me is the appetite loss, I lost 30 lb within the 1st 6 months. Thankfully, that has lessened a lot and I’ve gained some of the weight back but definitely something to consider if you have concerns about being under weight or disordered eating. As well, if you try to have caffeine, nicotine, sativa, or any stimulants you’re going to feel like absolute garbage, so follow the doctors order and avoid them. Only other warning you might not find online is that the brand name Concerta is expensive and not always covered (in BC, Canada). It wasn’t covered by my university health plan but it’s covered by my work plan with blue cross. For 90 tablets of 54mg Concerta (brand name, my doctor told me not to take the generic) it costs 400$.”

Van Man · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 23, 2014

For ADHD: “My son started on Concerta about a year ago. It has transformed his life. I don't like giving medicine but I have tried absolutely everything else - swimming, brain gymnastics etc.. nothing really helped. He is naturally bright but just couldn't concentrate - particularly when it came to classroom work and focusing on a project involving writing. The transformation has been incredible. He had an excellent school report in every area. His teachers are thrilled, he is confident and happy and enjoys school. He doesn't take Concerta in the holidays or at weekends and manages fine going back on it on a Monday morning. Only one side effect which is lack of appetite. We ensure he goes to school with a good breakfast and then he has a huge meal when he gets home.”

Anonymous February 25, 2008

For ADHD: “My son was taking the 54mg for 8yrs when all of a sudden he started to get severely depressed and thoughts of hurting himself. He was immediately taken off the Concerta. I had read about the side effects but it seem to be a small percentage of children getting this. Make sure you read ALL side effects and the long term usage on how it will effect your child.”

TomTucker · Taken for 10 years or more January 24, 2020

For ADHD: “I've been on this medication for about 14 YEARS now. And I love it but hate it. It's considered an abusable drug now so getting and filling this prescription is absolutely insane. I have to take a pee test to get the script 4 times a year, then a pre-approval from the doctor, THEN I can buy it for $30 instead of $300. I wish I was joking. As far as the drug itself it's great! High focus, low appetite, it's great. The only problem is it makes my hand spasm and sometimes it can mess with your head. But all meds have cons.”