User Reviews for Adderall

Learn more about Adderall.

Narcolepsy 36 reviews 15 medications

8.7
ADHD 229 reviews 38 medications

8.4
Summary of Adderall reviews 265 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Adderall

For ADHD "I would like to first say that my experience with Adderall was overall successful, it most definitely helped my concentration and ability to focus. However, there are some side effects that I think are worth noting. I had minimal anxiety prior to taking this medication (only when traveling). My anxiety dramatically increased to the point where I was put in therapy and almost took a medical leave from work. (I quit taking the medication once I realized it was a significant contributing factor - although not completely to blame) I had a very dry mouth while prescribed, which actually ended up leading to cavities according to my dentist. Noticeable lower back pain & problems sleeping (both are alleviated once you quit taking the meds)"

DelaneyMarie August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Narcolepsy "The efficacy of Adderall in any condition that you take it over is dependent upon the quality of the generic brand that your pharmacy carries. Although a pharmacist will not want to tell you this, a generic product can vary plus or -20% variation from the brand-name drug. This was A result of the Hatch-Waxman Act. Moreover, and most disturbingly, only the generic company itself knows The results that they conducted and required for a generic manufacturer to manufacturer a generic drug require Bioequivalency testing. However, they, and I emphasize "They" because it is only the generic company itself that conducts the test and knows the results besides the FDA. Only the generic firm and the FDA knows the exact test results. Research different generic reviews, because this makes all the difference in your experience with generic Adderall IR"

Drkatzjr27 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "This medication is absolutely amazing for those who really suffer from ADHD. You will experience side effects such as, loss of appetite, loss of sleep, hyperactivity, dry mouth and dehydration, but they go away with time. There is a right dosage for everyone. Try to find your dosage and genetic brand that works for you, and with proper nutrition it will change your life! I've suffered from ADHD since I was a child. I was never able to focus or finish tasks. I would do so much better in life, in every aspect of it, if discovered this medication earlier in life! But like a lot of people on here say, better late than never! I am now on 15mg IR twice a day. Give it a try, just do it right!"

Milashka (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Narcolepsy "Adderall has helped me greatly, though it is not perfect. Many doctors have suspected that I have narcolepsy, but my insurance company won't pay for the sleep study because I'm only in my 20s (what??). Anyway, my doctor prescribed Adderall because I simply could not stay awake in class, driving, riding the bus, watching movies, doing homework, etc. Basically everything. I remember the first dose I took. I felt like a normal person. Not hyper or overstimulated (my doc was worried about this because I also have bipolar I), just normal. I just went about my day and did my homework and washed the dishes and read a book like a normal person. This drug has really changed my life. I gave it an 8 because I still have to take naps throughout the day"

MD1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "I used to take Adderall. My current doctor told me that Adderall is actually amphetamine and that while amphetamine will work for ADHD, it damages dopamine cells by releasing the dopamine inside the cell. She also said that there is increasing evidence that amphetamines increase risk for parkinson's disease even when it is used as directed."

be careful (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "When I first started taking it, it helped me immensely with my ADHD. Pretty quickly, however, it stopped working. For one thing, it gives me crazy mood swings. It really amps me up at first, and I get super euphoric and happy for two hours, and then I feel awful and anxious and depressed. It actually potentiates my ADHD symptoms. It makes me extremely thirsty all the time, so I keep having to leave class to go use the bathroom or fill up my water bottle. Adderall makes it harder for me to appreciate the beauty of nature. I feel less in touch with my emotions when I take it. I understand that Adderall helps people a lot of the time, so it's worth a shot. But it didn't help me AT ALL. In fact, it probably made things worse."

Tobey L (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Narcolepsy "I have been taking Adderall for now 5 months. This medication has completely changed my life. It is one of the most effective smart drugs out there. Adderall Improves concentration and ability to focus on your work. I suffer from Narcolepsy. I take 30mg adderall after a weak. It works very well. I have personal experience with the Adderall is absolutely great for me!"

traceymiller (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "I have been diagnosed with ADD . I have always pushed myself to get good grades and to take as many AP and honors classes as I can handle. I enjoy learning about new things; however, my lack of focus got in the way of my learning. It bothers me when people say ADD/ADHD is made up. I know that people who don't have this disorder can't truly understand what it's like. Without adderall my mind is foggy and I can't take the fog away to learn about the things that I love. All my friends know that I have a strong passion for physics and astronomy, but it's very hard for me to pick up a book without forgetting most of what I read after I finished it. On adderall I feel like the fog fades always and my mind is like a clear sunny day. Oh how I wish that I didn't have to take this every day and just naturally be as focused. I am just an 18 year old who is trying to pursue her dreams, but without this medication I'm not sure how I can get through college to learn what I love. I can now look through my telescope at the stars without the clouds getting in the way."

Samanthaa98 May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "Such an amazing contribution to the pharmaceutical world. So much better than its ugly step sisters, such as Ritalin and Vyvanse. Adderall steals the show every time. 30mg/day does the trick. Been on it for 12 years, I've taken personal breaks for tolerance. I've never had any type of "withdrawal" or "come downs" at the end of the day. This drug has the ability to put me to sleep when I take it, honestly; and that's because my dissociation (caused by my ADHD) causes my anxiety to skyrocket. But when I take my adderall, I am able to focus on reality, making my anxiety disappear for a few hours. Calms me down. Relief is a blessing."

amphetamint (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "I am 51, and have been on Adderall for 15 years. I take 20mg twice a day. It helps me concentrate, and stay focused. I skip taking it for one day every week, this helps me see where the Adderall helps in my life, and was suggested by my doctor to help my body not build a tolerance to Adderall. At this time I personally don't believe Adderall is "addicting", when taken properly. While on vacation, I went a week without it, and never felt any withdrawal's​ from the Adderall. I keep my Adderall, and other med's in a metal lock box, that locks onto a shelf in my fridge, because people do abuse Adderall."

TiffieD (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "I have been taking 2- 10mg IR tablets each day for about a month. I have noticed a significant difference at how well I perform at school since I've been on adderall. I have many honors and AP classes, which always have a big work load. Each day I had to struggle with my ADD and having to look over the material numerous times. I am now able to focus and have confidence in my classes. Usually I am the last person taking a test and now I am one of the first people done because I am finally able to focus. Negatives- as adderall wears off I feel anti-social, weak, agitated, and slightly depressed the positives definitely out weigh the negatives ADD is hard to deal with and finally being able to focus means so much to me"

Sammie2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over two years ago, have been struggling with it for about 7. Recently went to a psychiatrist because my pain doctor and pcp suggested it because of me complaining about concentration and fatigue issues. I have only been on this a short time but so far it's been A LIFE SAVER. I was started on a low dose of course just 10mg once a day IR. I could easily take 3 of these a day. My pain doctor recently put me on the lowest dose of a butrans patch and it's made a huge difference but my energy was still gone and I still struggled (I only worked on average 20 hours a week because doing much more has been too hard and I have an easy job in an office ). This adderall may save my life I'd write more but it won't let me"

LaLaurie (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I first began taking it, it was very intense-my heart raced, I had too much energy. For a while it was great-the racing heart and too much energy wore off after about a week. It did become less useful over time, but not to a great extent. The trouble with Adderall for me, was taking two a day at the "right" times. It was really the second pill, figuring out the right time to take it, in a way so it would help me the rest of the day, but not so late it would disturb my sleep. Since I had/have a poor sleep schedule, that was challenging."

Owlem (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "I started taking Adderall when I was 26 y/o and it was AMAZING for about 2 years. My dose started out at 30mg/day in the beginning and after 2 years was up to 60mg/day (30 mg IR twice daily). I started getting increasingly paranoid, losing, what seemed like, more and more sleep with each passing month. I kept thinking that I was seeing red and blue lights on my walls at night, which made me think the cops were after me outside. Even though I didn't do anything that would require police assistance. Until one day when I lost my mind, literally. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and put on a 72 hour psychiatric hold for which I ended up staying at the hospital almost 2 week. Diagnosed with amphetamine induced schizoaffective disorder!!!"

ADDERALL WILL MAKE YOU INSANE (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Narcolepsy "I was diagnosed with narcolepsy wth cataplexy about two years ago. I was always the friend in the group that was falling asleep in the car, movies, and middle of class. I actually got voted "most likely to be sleeping in class" for my senior year. Even though it was funny for others, it's not for me. It's so hard to live a normal life when your constantly tired and all you want to do is sleep. I took nuvigil for the first year and half. It was working fine but I grew a tolerance for it with adverse effects. I started adderall 1/2 a year ago and it's the best thing ever. I've never felt so normal before in my life. I take 10mg XR when I wake up along with 10 mg regular release tab. And 10mg later on in the day. Best choice ever by my doctor!!"

Taylorr February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "I stopped taking this medication 6 years ago because I built up a tolerance to it. But, it seriously was the best thing to ever happen to me. I've always had untreated ADHD and when I finally received treatment, I flourished. Now, after 6 years I am giving it a try again. So far it's working great. The two things I don't like about Adderall is that I talk WAY too much, share WAY too much information. In fact, I call up family members and talk to them to death.I had to write myself a note and tape it to the phone to not call or text anyone! And the second thing is the comedown, by the time the medication wears off, I am drained!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "This drug works great at first until you need more and more to focus. Stay away from this med if you don't truly have ADHD or you have hypertension."

Txcb2004 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "While not perfect, this drug helped me achieve around an 80% improvement in my focus, attention, and ability to see tasks through to the end. I take 20mg IR in the morning and 20mg early in the afternoon. I was never diagnosed with A.D.D when I was a kid likely because I barely went to see doctors as a child. I used illicit drugs my whole life until it caused me to almost kill myself. After being clean for a year, I noticed my problems persisted with attention, focus, and finishing tasks. After seeing a Psychiatrist and getting a proper test/diagnosis, I'm grateful. It's helped a lot."

WOW. Major Improvement! (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "This has helped me a lot, but I have a couple tips. There are different brands that people will react differently to (I thought they would all act the same but no). I had a bad reaction with the first generic brand I tried, tried a different generic brand, and had a better experience. So look into that because not everyone believes that there's such a difference between different brands but to me there was. Second, I'm overweight and thought "decreased appetite? good!" but I would advise to still make sure you're eating frequently enough. Food has such an impact on brain functioning so not eating for 6 hours because you didn't feel like it is a bad habit to start! Once I got those slight issues settled, this drug really helped.Just be smart"

Sprite93817 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "Has helped me focus and I have motivation to do work . But the crash sucks , unless you have Valium or xanax"

Richieminaj January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "I never thought I could have done better than how I was before. I am doing better at sports, behavior wise, and paying attention in class."

Ny12314 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "Having ADD has been a bumpy ride for me, especially when it comes to finding the correct medication. As a Mechanical Engineering major, my work load is very heavy and being able to focus is essential and Adderall Xr certainly gives me the ability to do so. I've been taking 30mg xr for about 2-3 years. Prior to adderall I took Vyvanse and Concerts which did not work as well for me as adderall. It also took me a while to work adderall into my schedule as efficient as possible as I don't like taking it EVERYday. But I've got to say I found a happy medium that allows for the least amount of side effects and it is working absolute wonders for me."

Jhest603 January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "Please be aware of all side effects before taking this drug. Adderal is highly addictive and it is very likely that 1 taking this drug will continue to do so for a long period of time out of necessity. Its best to slowly decrease the intake of the drug so the withdrawal symptoms are not 2 intense. Taking more than prescribed can lead 2 severe & even life threatening situations. Hallucinations, hearing voices, severe insomnia, & personality changes are inevitable if abused. With that being said, this is a highly effective yet short term solution bc of the dependency factor. At times the side effects may be so severe that the person taking the drug doesn't even notice bc they are so happy and focused on everything else.Notice Excessive Movement?"

Lawstudent1738-be cautious! (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "While Adderall definitely helped my ADD symptoms, the comedown was absolutely horrible. I was on 30mg per day (20mg IR in morning, 10mg IR 5hrs later). It made me finally able to focus, and stay organized for the 5 months I took it. However, as soon as it started wearing off, I turned into a real big jerk, and I even lost some friends because of it. I eventually discontinued it after having a mental breakdown, and due to several of my closest friends and family approaching me about how I was acting. I ended up switching to Concerta and currently take 36mg per day. I find that it works 10 times better than Adderall did for me. Long story short, Adderall, while definitely very effective at treating my symptoms, wasn't the right fit for me."

average_16y/o_guy December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD "I began talking Adderall about 3 months ago, I was scared to say the least. Many people I talked to advised against taken the ADD meds, instead suggesting naturopathic (?) meds. I wouldn't know where to start! I have suffered from depression since I can remember, started taking meds for that in my early 20s. Looking back at my life as a child into my teens and adult years, there was no doubt in my mind that I also had ADHD. Now 20 years later, I realized it was time to do something about it. Dr started me off at 5mg, then 10mg, up to 20mg now. It's amazing how this stuff works, I can ACTUALLY concentrate AND complete something!! The only complaint I have is that I am a little (more) spacey, could be because I'm a mother of 3 though!!! "

3lovelies December 8, 2016