User Reviews for Ritalin

Learn more about Ritalin.

Narcolepsy 18 reviews 15 medications

7.8
ADHD 74 reviews 36 medications

6.9
Summary of Ritalin reviews 92 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Ritalin

For ADHD "I am a 28 year old female. I have been taking 20 mg Ritalin per day for 8 weeks, first short acting, then tried the long acting. By far the short acting helped my concentration in school, work, and my social life. When I switched to the extended release it felt like it wasn't doing jack, even though I was taking the same dose. The only thing I don't like about the short acting was the loss of appetite. So annoying. But I'm about to start back with the short acting and with 40 mg per day. I can't wait to have my concentration back!"

Cluck clack (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2016

For ADHD "I wanted to update about my medication. I am now 20 mg. of Ritalin twice daily and 50 mg. of Zoloft generic once daily. Having suffered bipolar depression, PTSD, ADD/ADHD throughout different periods throughout my life. I also Borderline/Mild General Learning Disability a labeling in terms that is least offensive to Mild Mental Retardation or Borderline/Mild Intellectual Disability. In my case the GLD is extremely least severe in slightest degree. Ritalin actually works very well for me while Zoloft treats the anxiety, depression, and some mild obsessive compulsive behavioral thoughts but nothing extreme severe or seriousness. In some people depending DNA, generics how medication effects the individual might be very different, etc."

AshleyNave100 November 15, 2016

For Narcolepsy "Recently diagnosed with narcolepsy and was given provigal. That did nothing. Given Ritalin and this is doing nothing either. Started at 10mg twice a day. Increased to 30mg twice a day. This is nothing more then a decent cup of coffee. Lasts no longer then an hour. Need better help for my tireness."

Tobycainryan (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2016

For ADHD "I've been taking Ritalin for about 4 months now and it has helped me immensely. I'm a college student and suffer from ADD, Major Depressive Disorder and OCD. I was put on this during a hospitalization because in the past I was on Concerta and it worked wonders. So being on this medication I have been able to concentrate better on my schooling and other tasks. The downfall with this med is that it lasts for about 5 hours before it wears off. The other downfall is that I am recovering from an eating disorder and the loss of appetite makes it hard to want to eat."

Shaylyngramza (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2016

For ADHD "I took 15 mg instant release Ritalin for ADHD, to combat daytime sleepiness, and focus on med school studies. I have mixed feelings about this medication. It improved my focus a lot, but it also had some negative effects. I was very nauseous after taking the pill and would sometimes gag. Nausea was absent on days I didn't take it. I had no appetite so I wasn't eating enough, which isn't ideal because I am already thin and not looking to lose weight. I would try to eat before taking the pill but I did notice either a decreased efficacy of the drug. It also increased my heart rate to about 120 beats per min (I am normally about 75). This did help me feel motivated and get work done, I just wish I didn't experience these side effects."

-- (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2016

For Narcolepsy "I have narcolepsy, and have been taking Ritalin for about 20 years. I was diagnosed with depression about 7 years ago, most recently taking Effexor, and citalopram. About 6 days ago I spiralled down fast and hard. Couldn't eat, sleep, reason anything good, was crying hysterically, horrible feelings, felt like I was slowly going crazy. I had stopped taking my Ritalin thinking it would keep me awake. Today I took my Ritalin, went for a nap and woke up clear. I was calm, it's been 8 hrs of no crying, no churning inside, no hysterics, I am sleeping, I can can think things through....absolutely night and day. No one ever told me that Ritalin could be helping my depression too."

DepressedNarc (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 22, 2016

For ADHD "I've been taking methylphenidate (Ritalin) for years. I started during my professional career, because according to my psych, I am "too smart to sit still", and that because of that, my brain gets bored easily then my attention span fades. With Ritalin I can focus like a laser on tasks, get much more done, stay organized, and it also helps with that afternoon sleepiness. Added bonus is it revs up your basal metabolic rate, and reduces appetite so you can lose weight easily. Downside, it increases BP. If you have high BP you may want to avoid it. I take a 20 mg pill 3-4 times a day, never after dinner if you want to sleep."

Chicago engineer August 31, 2016

For Narcolepsy "Taken Ritalin over 15 yrs for NARCOLEPSY. Provigal to $$. Over the years I have increased to 40mg two times daily. Have not (and won't) increased dosage in over 5 yrs. Retired now so it's easier to adjust mg. If I feel it's not working, I will stop taking it for a week or two (if possible) and then go back 10 mg at a time. May be time consuming but never had addiction. Considering the SR."

Jeanettesretired (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2016

For ADHD "COULD NOT STOP EATING! After taking Ritalin for about 1 month, I noticed a strong desire to snack. Just munch on anything; crackers, peanut butter, carrots. Whatever was around. It was like the constant munchies. Then the snacking turned into constant eating after another month. A constant desire to eat in order to feel good. It was as if I didn't feel well, and only eating would take the edge off. So about 2 months and 10 pounds later, I switched to Adderall. Why this made me eat like mad I'll never know..."

PollyDarton May 29, 2016

For ADHD "I was recently prescribed generic form of Ritalin for Aspergers/lack of focus issues. I am in my low 40s and used Meth recreationally for years, although I gave that up thankfully, a while back. This is the third pill I have taken and I assure you, the effects of this drug mimic, in many ways, taking a moderate amount of Meth, although not as strong. However, I realize that it affects different people, different ways based on their chemistry. I am not sure I will take it all the time but it does give me energy and new focus, I was lacking. I can see how this drug could be addictive to some people. But it is extremely expensive."

MercuryMan (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2016

For ADHD "Life saver"

Kie Kie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2016

For ADHD "I am an adult female. I was prescribed 10 mg once a day. My counselor advised my Behavioral Health MD to treat me for possible ADD/ADHD. I'm also taking clonopin and Ambien, which might account for my reaction- Ritalin made me sleepy and kind of depressed! I was really surprised, as I'd never heard of that reaction. Also taking Lamictal and Trileptal for bipolar. Hm.... I sure would like to know if others have this reaction, or if upping the dose would possibly make me not so depressed."

msluckey1 April 10, 2016

For ADHD "I take the generic form of Ritalin. I have actually lost weight and appetite with this medication. I also have Bipolar Depression, PTSD,social anxiety, and Borderline/Mild General Learning Disability(formerly called or known as intellectual disability or mental retardation: I use a much more updated suitable labelling of disability. I am actually too advanced and higher functioning. In some cases GLD is more proper or acceptable for me.) My medication does in fact help. I also take Vistaril. I actually had ADD/ADHD symptoms as child growing up that might have caused G.L.D., linking it to a chemical imbalance of the brain equals intellectual disturbance. So people maybe undersigned for certain conditions."

Ashley Nave April 7, 2016

For ADHD "Diagnosed in 1992 ADHD & prescribed Ritalin. Before I took Ritalin, I was forgetful, daydreamed, moody, couldn't focus for long, did soft drugs, drank alcohol, smoked cigs., and was negative minded. Now, I do none of the above. It makes me feel motivated to go to work, everyday, and I read novels from page 1 to the last page. Before, I never had the patience to read past page 1. My Doc. prescribes me 60 mg. per day. To start my day, I take 1- SR20mg. with 1-10mg; then 4hrs. later, I take 1-10mg.; then 4hrs. later I take 1-SR20mg. The problem is, after the first 8hrs., I know I need a 10mg. for the next 4hrs. But my Doc. won't prescribe me over 60mg. per day cause he thinks that is the max. per day allowed. Any suggestions?"

Beebop56 April 6, 2016

For ADHD "I have suffered from ADHD since childhood. After trying several medications, Ritalin is the only one that continues to work for me."

Howechick (taken for 10 years or more) March 24, 2016

For ADHD "I was first given Ritalin at 6 years old. Ritalin made it hard for me to sleep. Being on Ritalin made me feel nauseous. Ritalin caused tremors in my arms. Being forced to take Ritalin made me self-conscious. Ritalin increased my anxiety. My anxiety turned into panic attacks so I was prescribed with antidepressants like Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I was also prescribed with Lamictal, an anti-convulsant. For me, Ritalin was the "gateway drug.""

Sarare (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2016

For ADHD "Horrible. In my 30s going to a high demanding graduate school. Helped me early on in undergrad but now after all these years i hate it. My family gets the worse of it as i am always pissed off and irritable while on it and cant think clear without it. Its a double edged sword. Waiting for the day i can say FU to this horrible man made addiction."

Biggyb (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2016

For ADHD "I take 10 mg generic Ritalin as needed. It gets me moving and I can focus a little better. I already have hair thinning and the doc warned me that this is a known side effect for some. However, I don't know if the Ritalin contributes to my hair loss or not. For me, I need to take it about 2 hours after breakfast for it to work. Then it lasts about 4 hours. I probably need a script to take this twice a day instead of once."

wannabbetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2016

For ADHD "I have mixed feelings on Ritalin I am 16 years old Diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome and ADD. I started taking 20mg in the morning, After about 10 minutes I would start feeling it, i felt full of energy and moderately euphoric. I don't know if this is a "Normal" reaction but it would make me feel almost manic like. But all in all the effects were helpful! When I would usually just sit on my computer the Ritalin somehow made work enjoyable. I hated math but when on Ritalin and in school it was interesting even fun! it made everything feel positive and perfect. The reason I don't give it a 10 is because it only lasts for 3-4 hours. The comedown from this drug is quite terrible. And it gave me some annoying tics."

Anonononononnn February 1, 2016

For ADHD "I started on 10mg short acting. I'm in the process of finding something different. I'm a student and in a competitive feild studying nursing . I'm a busy person and this didn't help me in any way except for test cramming and homework. It would last about 2 hours and if I wasn't done with my work I needed to take another. Doctor said use it on an as needed basis . But I want something that will help me through the day. Help me focus on everything I need to do in the day. I can't take this short acting stuff, because when it wears off I'm nervous and I feel cloudy minded and weird. I don't want to be around people at this time because I feel off. I'm going back to the doc on Monday. I heard adderal doesn't have the nervousness sideeffects"

Student 1982 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

For ADHD "This medicine worked well . I didn't have that many side effects. I took adderall and this one was much better ."

Tigereye100 January 31, 2016

For ADHD "I've been on and off this medication for a few years now. I have mixed feelings towards it. The first 30 minutes to an hour of taking it , I feel a rush and a feeling of I can do anything. That rush motivates me to go to the gym actually. After the rush is gone I feel more focused and alert. After the alerteness has warn off I feel moody and irritable. I'm very aware it's the medication making me on edge and try to control it. I get a bit headachy sometimes and it bothers my stomach from time to time. Always hungry? Not on this medication. Appetite gone, at least for a while until the next pill. Make sure to eat! I would say this medication is addictive and would not recommend it to anyone that has an addiction problem."

DeeDoubt November 25, 2015

For Narcolepsy "My 15 year-old son has narcolepsy. Ritalin gave him nightmares, which he rarely had, and kept him awake half the night. Discontinued after 11 days."

NikolopoulosJ October 26, 2015

For ADHD "Taking 20mg of Ritalin three times per day for my ADHD symptoms was less effective than taking regular caffeine."

InfiniteBravery (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2015

For ADHD "Helped me a lot. Been using it for 8 months and now I'm on a 20 mg 2 times a day. I never had the power to just sit still and stay on one task. Now I'm able to actually sit down and focus on one task. I'm 16 and was diagnosed at 15. Ritalin doesn't last long enough though which is the only down side. Only lasts for 3 hours but it's good because you could get your appetite back. No side effects just a little nervous at times and head aches which are rare. Also suppressed appetite the first hour you take it."

Eddie024 July 11, 2015