User Reviews for Ritalin

7.4

ADHD

Summary of Ritalin reviews 7.2 116 reviews

Reviews for Ritalin

For Narcolepsy "I have narcolepsy w/cataplexy and was prescribed Ritalin. Doc started me on a low dose to be taken twice day. The first 2 days I felt awake & alert, didn’t nap till 4:30 pm. After that, I just got sleepy. Never had that get-up-and-go like those first few days. Now after being on it for over a month, about 15 min after dosing I’m falling asleep. Literally head bobbing. I nap off and on all day long like before I was on Ritalin or I feel sick. I also notice that my chronic pain is heightened. Everything seems magnified on live wire. My eyes hurt, I’m more sensitive to light & have daily headaches on top of my chronic migraines. I finally see my neurologist tomorrow & hopefully he’ll have an alternative plan for me."

“Sleepy-all-the-time” (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2018

For ADHD "I’ve been on Ritalin for almost a year now, and it hasn’t been great, but at the same time it hasn’t been bad. It helps me study and focus, but once it wears off it leaves you feeling like you were a zombie the whole day. All in all, it’s okay, but it does have some side effects you should be aware of."

o4marie (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2018

For Narcolepsy "Let me start by stating that I am a 24 year old female with history of Idiopathic Hypersomnia, coarctation of the aorta and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA). I was recently in a car accident and received my second concussion. Upon visiting my neurologist for headaches/migraine complaints I brought to his attention my debilitating fatigue I've experienced since the last concussion. I've been to multiple doctors and they pushed aside this symptom. I was almost in tears when my neurologist prescribed Ritalin. Day 3: improved concentration AND more energy!. So far so good. I was worried I would have problems because of my heart conditions but it is anatomic and not rhythmic so I'm okay! He also assured this will help with weight loss which is great! Hope to continue to see great results with this medication."

ncos3 July 21, 2018

For ADHD "It's something that is useful. It helps me focus and gives me energy to help get my day started. The only thing that bugs me is a suppressed appetite and at times makes my depression worse until it wears off also makes my have to urinate more frequently"

Nicknameman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

For ADHD "This drug has been nothing but a miracle for me. After years of suffering with concentration/attention problems and a string of failures this drug has allowed me to achieve what I want and excel in my academics and life. I take 20 - 30 mg/day 3 - 5 days a week with regular drug holidays. If you have ADHD and are suffering because of it with a history of failures in your life you won't regret getting treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2018

For ADHD "I think it's a very good medication and it can helps a lot! I have been taking this drug when I was 14-15 years old and at the beginning it works well but then because I took a high dosage of Ritalin (around 60-80 mg daily) I experienced a few side effects (just like increased heart rate, weight loss and insomnia! So I stoped taking this drug and after that I have been taking Strattera (atomoxetin) for a year but that was terrible. I had insomnia so bad I couldn't sleep for 36-60 hours maybe twice a week and besides that I usually slept 3-4 hours), I also had increase hearth rate (maybe 100-130 in the morning, increase blood pressure(100/190), headache and stomach problem. So I stoped taking this medication too. Now I am 18 years old and I started to take Ritalin but not every day only when I have to learn a lot and just 10mg twice a day and I think it works very well and it has no any side effects. So I thing its a very good and useful medications just the "normal" dosage is very important!"

Miklos25 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

For ADHD "Side effect for women. I took this for 8 months and bled every day. I was in my mid 20’s and did not realize it was this pill. Even one pill of the lowest amount will cause me to spot. This is a rare condition of .07%. The bleeding was horrible and constant. I spent hundreds of dollars getting tested on my female body to see the cause. Once I realized it was the meds I stopped. Scariest time of my life!!! Be warned ladies. This could happen to you."

Kw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2018

For ADHD "Ritalin works well for ADHD. It is not a long lasting medication. Most of the the time it’s given in tablet form and does only last about 3-4 hours. So you will need to take it a couple of times throughout the day. I have been on vayvanse and adderall as well. Adderall works best for me. Vayvanse also works well but it lasts for so long, 12 hours or more. I can still eat and have appetite on adderall and Ritalin but with vayvanse I could go all day without eating. Ritalin is a good medication when taken correctly that will help with adhd."

Huron92 April 11, 2018

For Narcolepsy "Had Narcolepsy from age 5 due to brain swelling. Ritalin has definitely helped. I can do a lot of things other than sleeping when I am on it.... When I am on it sometimes I Hyperventilate however. I take in everything around me (sounds, sights, smells). And I do worry sometime does it overload my brain and in long term would that end up making more problems down the road? Also because I need to be put on a higher does because my body becomes use to it. Pupils are always big on these meds (so I wear sunglasses to look after my eyes when I am out. Heart rate resting sits around 130bpm and goes up when going to the gym or working out. And cannot do long distances running. My hands shake a lot often need help from husband to drink tea as it can be difficult. All in all I guess it does sound bad my side effects but it gives me my life back. I gives me time were I am not tired so I will do it."

ShortyGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with severe ADHD - inattentive type and Ritalin literally is the difference in me getting through my To Do list or just wondering what in the world I have been doing all day. Over the years I have run across multiple medical professionals who will not prescribe this mediation. Like an idiot I listened to them and tried other medications. ALL of these medications had worse side effects and did NOTHING to correct my ADHD. They tried all of the non stimulant medications and Bupropn HCL - none worked and several had VERY bad side effects. Medical professionals who refuse to listen to their patients should lose their license to practice. You are messing with people's lives here, people! The worse side effects I had with Ritalin was appetite suppression and mild anxiety specifically if I drank too much of coffee with the medication. This is over a period of 15 years on the medication."

Anna Mouse March 22, 2018

For ADHD "30 year old male. Recently diagnosed with ADHD. Been taking 10mg x3 times a day. 8am (with breaky) 12pm (with lunch) 4pm (with snack) I realised after a week that I can NOT mix it with coffee, if I do, it makes me feel very anxious and "Jittery" however I don't find the side effects that bad at all without coffee. I do want to keep playing with the doses to tweak it but off to a good start. Glad I realised it was the coffee making me feel like rubbish before I gave up on the drug."

RP (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2018

For ADHD "Diagnosed at 33 when I was finally able to find the right psychiatrist, I was prescribed generic Ritalin and it quite Iiterally changed my life. It was a bit of a journey to find the right formulation and dose. I take this form of short acting Ritalin after the Ritalin LA wears off (usually 6-7 hours). Pros: Works quickly, cheap, well known and researched, relatively easy to obtain (not as much of a shortage as other more "fancy" formulations), and works for a large population of people with ADHD. Cons: Wears off quickly (sometimes 2 Hrs for me), feels like a bumpy ride of ups and downs, hard to remember to take on time. Drink lots of water, make sure you graze on high protein snacks to avoid getting hangry, take a shower and get up and do something. I get sucked into "the zone" if I take my meds and then come online... for example :) Good luck to you in finding your best self!"

Stewarln1 March 11, 2018

For ADHD "I've been ritalin for a little over a week now and I have noticed that the mornings in first period are much easier to get through, but throughout the day when I'm on it I'll experience these low points of depression where I'm literaly just sitting at my desk and not be able to do anything. It works for calming me and I'm a lot less restless but once it wears off it feels like a wave of ADHD hits me and I start running around out of control doing things like yelling and jumping."

Carlosdielol February 13, 2018

For ADHD "I'm 18 years old & just got prescribed ritalin for ADD. The first day I was studying for 5 hours and then felt completley drained mentally. In general I can do a lot more then before but I feel like its losing effect very quickly, as I can't feel it anymore so I don't take it when I don't have to study(so i don't get too high of a tolerance) I started on 10mg once a day and after a week I upped to 10mg 3x a day. I drink a lot of coffee, guarana and stuff so the effect are better. If I finish high school it will because of ritalin"

zzara December 20, 2017

For ADHD "I started taking Ritalin recently and it has already dramatically changed my life. I was diagnosed with nervous depression last year and prescribed Zoloft, which significantly drew me out of my depression. But Ritalin made me understand what it is like to be highly functioning. I cried after the first day I took it out of pure elation. I was able to stay awake at school the whole day (a huge personal rarity for me) and I stayed on topic and could hold conversations way easier after the first week. I stopped being so scatter brained. My only complaint would be slight nausea and insomnia. I just wish it helped with my hyperspaces, as i am still jittery, but I am on a low dose."

ali78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2017

For ADHD "I’m a 19 year old athletic kid, and when I was prescribed this 3 years ago it did wonders. It was my junior year of high school and I was prescribed 10mg twice a day, once in the morning and once at lunch, with an optional one in the afternoon if I had a lot of homework or studying. My grades were much better and it didn’t have any side effects. Now, 3 years later I have a bad tolerance and I had to up my dosage to 20mg three times a day. I now take it to even make it to class and if I don’t take it I can barely stay awake. Like many people said it makes you feel extremely sluggish like a zombie, and it’s an absolutely awful feeling. I lose emotions, have mood swings and even my sex drive with my girlfriend is completely destroyed."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 30, 2017

For ADHD "It's bad for kids with ADHD because when I was 5 they gave it to me it kept me up for 72 hours and I took it every 4 days."

blakers September 13, 2017

For ADHD "I was prescribed the 10mg IR Ritalin, to be taken three times a day a few weeks ago. To say the least, I have developed a tolerance to the drug. It has a bad comedown 2-3 hours after I take the drug. But it has done wonders for my depression and ADHD symptoms. The only downside I found is that it makes me feel like a zombie, too focused, much nervous and has a nasty after-effects. But so far it has been a revolutionary step in my life. I will try switching to the LA version though."

caduhunterbr (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

For ADHD "I have only been on ritalin for a couple days now and the results are great. My concentration and focus has improved, I can get more things done and I feel more motivated and self assured. My social life is better and can keep a conversation going. The downsides for me where fast heart rate which made me feel anxious, a bad headache when I first took it and a decreased in appetite. Overall this is working for me so far and I would say to not abuse this drug, combine it with alcohol or anything else and to eat well before taking medicine. hope this helps"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

For ADHD "There are some things I love about this medicine, like my ability to focus and get things done. But I really hate the side effect of having no appetite because I'm skinny to begin with. It also increases my heart rate which can make my feel anxious. It also gives me diarrhea which my doctor said does happen to some people. It's super effective, but I wish I could get rid of those side effects. may be better for people who do not need to focus 12 hours a day like I do because I require 3 doses a day."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 3, 2017

For ADHD "Fantastic controlled for the first time in my life"

Bloomers (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

For Narcolepsy "When I was first diagnosed with narcolepsy at 13, I started with Ritalin and was taking about 40mg per day and definitely helped with my narcolepsy but wasn't strong enough to keep me fully awake and repress my cataplexy. I now take 81mg of concerta and 10mg of ritalin in the mornings and if needed another 10-20mg ritalin in the afternoons or when feeling tired. It's definitely been a life saver especially during class or when I'm out. Didn't have or had any significant side effects and am so glad to have been introduced to it"

jezzml (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2017

For ADHD "Been on and off Ritalin for yrs. The reg. version works well for me, but its effect was gone in under 3 hrs. The extended release was useless - I metabolize it too quickly and was ODing on it after about an hr. When I was working, it was great not wasting time getting distracted by crap: no retracing my steps to remember what I was looking for; no wondering why I had the telephone in my hand - was I calling or answering, etc? But I didn't like driving under Ritalin - I was used to having my attention all over the place and being able to see EVERYTHING that was going on around me: traffic slowing 5 blocks up; a wingnut weaving thru lanes 2 blocks behind. I only took it while working or when I needed to focus. Same thing now."

LaFleik (taken for 10 years or more) March 21, 2017

For Narcolepsy "Hi I was Diagnosed when I was 6 years old and I am now 25 years old. I have taken Provigil, Adderall, Nuvigil, Ritalin, and now methylphenidate ER. I could not take the recent medication due the side effect I use to get all the time and it wasn't until I started taking folican xr that my life had change . I felt like I was never diagnose at all . I started taking folican when I was maybe in middle school up until a year ago . I was put on another medication which is methylphenidate which seem to make me more tired . The things I could do as a person without narcolepsy I can no longer do them . Emotion that by itself put strain on me . This by itself seem to do nothing . 10mg 1-2 a day . When I was on folican I took 15 mg 3 times"

sleeping beauty BD February 6, 2017

For ADHD "I am a 28 year old female. I have been taking 20 mg Ritalin per day for 8 weeks, first short acting, then tried the long acting. By far the short acting helped my concentration in school, work, and my social life. When I switched to the extended release it felt like it wasn't doing jack, even though I was taking the same dose. The only thing I don't like about the short acting was the loss of appetite. So annoying. But I'm about to start back with the short acting and with 40 mg per day. I can't wait to have my concentration back!"

Cluck clack (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2016