Jornay PM vs other methylphenidate formulations - how do they compare?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 1, 2022.
What is the difference between Jornay PM and other once-daily methylphenidate formulations?
Jornay PM is taken once-daily in the evening. Other once daily methylphenidate formulations are taken in the morning.
The difference between Jornay PM (methylphenidate extended-release) and other once-daily methylphenidate formulations for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is the time of day in which they are taken.
Jornay PM is approved for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in patients 6 years and older and is taken once-daily in the evening. Other once daily methylphenidate formulations are taken in the morning, and include:
- Adhansia XR
- Aptensio XR
- Cotempla XR-ODT
- Metadate CD
- QuilliChew ER
- Quillivant XR
- Ritalin LA
Timing of administration for Jornay PM is adjusted between 6:30 pm and 9:30 pm in the evening to optimize side effects and effectiveness the next morning and throughout the day.
Jornay PM utilizes a unique methylphenidate delivery technology known as the Delexis platform that delays initial release of the drug for up to 10 hours and then controls release throughout the day. An advantage to this delayed-release mechanism is that it allows control over ADHD symptoms in children during the early morning routine, which remains a significant concern for parents.
Related medical questions
- How long does it take for Concerta 18mg to kick in?
- Concerta vs Adderall - What's the difference between them?
- Ritalin vs Vyvanse - What's the difference between them?
- What are the brands of methylphenidate?
- What is metilfenidato used for?
- How is Cotempla XR-ODT different to other brands of methylphenidate?
- Is QuilliChew ER a controlled substance?
- Adderall vs Vyvanse - What's the difference between them?
- How soon for Vyvanse to start working and how long does it last?
- Modafinil vs Adderall: What's the difference?
- Does Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) show up on a drug test?
Related support groups
- Concerta (58 questions, 357 members)
- Methylphenidate (31 questions, 136 members)
- Metadate CD (4 questions, 22 members)
- Ritalin LA (4 questions, 34 members)
- QuilliChew ER (3 questions, 3 members)
- Cotempla XR-ODT (3 questions, 4 members)
- Quillivant XR (3 questions, 8 members)
- Jornay PM (2 questions, 4 members)
- Aptensio XR (2 questions, 5 members)
- Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (437 questions, 2,470 members)