User Reviews for Valproic acid

Also known as: Depacon, Depakene, Stavzor, Valproate Sodium

Learn more about Valproic acid.

Mania 2 reviews 15 medications

Epilepsy 2 reviews 41 medications

3.5
Summary of Valproic acid reviews 28 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Valproic acid

For Epilepsy: "After 2 years on this pill I'm starting to feel severe joint and muscle ache, swelling of the arm and legs... the swelling was so severe that it I couldnt walk. The side effects of this drug really outway the benefits."

excelljess34 May 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with Bipolar Effective disorder in Aug 2016 I was initially started on 500mg per day, but found my symptoms were still there, after seeing my psychiatrist the following month this was increase to 750 mg I still felt the same, so again I saw my psychiatrist who increased again to 1000mg by this time I was getting fed up, thinking whats the point are these meds ever going to work, anyway I carried on taking them but still no joy so I went back, the psychiatrist increased my dosage another 250mg so I now take 1250mg per day, 500mg day / 750mg night after a couple of week I noticed a big difference in my personality and so did others. I'm much less stressed my moods are normal, I'm so much more laid back its untrue"

Scharcarnie March 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy: "I was diagnosed with Juvinile Myoclonic Epilepsy when I was 16. For nearly two years now I have been on Valparin. Although I haven't had a siezure for that duration at all, I must say there were some unpleasant side effects. Firstly, it made me loose my focus very easily. I was getting distracted at the slightest of provocation. It also made me unable to cry, you know, to let it all out just wasn't possible. And then there was also some bouts of depression that made me wonder if I am on the right drug. My final opinion is that take this med for a longer duration only if you can cope up with the side effects. Talk to your doctor if you feel uncomfortable with this drug."

TroubledTeenager (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 26, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I came off this because of the flat mood where I had no real feelings but I wish I hadn't cause I would've saved time cause I got a manic episode 8 months later with lamictal but I felt like I always did better and felt better on lamictal but I guess I was only on 300 mg so it made my mania worst when I wouldn't sleep enough because I was doing my work. and all semester long I felt like I was getting manic and psychotic but I guess I didn't realize it takes longer to recover from a manic episode. I'm thinking of going back on Epival and Invega or Epival and Latuda cause there's almost no options left and I hated clozapine cause it gave me seizures and broke my ankles. my main problem is I can't take my vitamins with Epival."

alligator112 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 21, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "My p-doc wanted to get me off lithium, which I have been on for 12 years. Lithium was causing a big strain on my kidneys which would eventually put me on dialysis. Lithium gave me amazing stability, but the combination with Geodon caused ED to be a factor on a semi frequent occasion. I lost 14 lbs recently before I started Depakote, and since I've been on Depakote for 3 months I haven't gone up in weight at all. I've had a bigger appetite. My only complaint has been stomach diarrhea, many times with sudden onset. Sometimes it's constipation for a day followed by several days of diarrhea."

beefcake77 August 7, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I hated this medication. it gave me no mood, no feelings, not able to cry or a supposed flat mood my psychiatrist said plus it made me gain tons of weight in plus of the clozapine I used to be on that gave me seizures and made me break my ankles and it was completely useless cause I never needed it even though they thought "nothing has ever worked for you". I was only on it because they forced me to take clozapine and it was giving me seizures and the clozapine wasn't even good cause I didn't make any friends and I didn't really like anybody. ever since I've been on Lamictal 300 mg and Invega 12 mg I've felt more normal and I'm able to cry and feel true feelings like I used to."

alligator112 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Was percribed this while rapid cycling and in a mixed manic state. Works great, I had no side effects. Been stable on it for 2 months now, taking 1000mg at night."

Crash747 January 30, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "This was the first drug I was prescribed when I was diagnosed. I took it for seven months, and in the beginning it seemed to worse. I ended up having to take three a day, but even that didn't feel like it was working. Towards the end it made my manic episodes worse and made me feel like I was spinning out of control. I had to switch drugs."

Kimblerly January 14, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "One dose of Valproic Poison (Depakote) gave me a rash on my arms and legs. 3 weeks later, I still have the rash. I didn't want to take this medication in the first place because of all the horrible side effects and my doctor convinced me to take it. Trust your instincts"

Anonymous128914 December 18, 2015

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakene (valproic acid) for Seizure Prevention: "I wouldn't give this to my worst enemy. The side effects are so severe that they outweigh any benefit regarding seizure control. After 2 years on this medication, I was a walking zombie."

LeiGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 23, 2015

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakene (valproic acid) for Seizures: "I was on this for 4 1/2 years, right up to a very high dose. I got the side effect of constantly feeling hungry yet never feeling full, no matter how much I ate. That immediately caused me to gain 10 lbs. a month for 6 months: 60 pounds! It also gave me the side effects of major depression and a generally unpleasant mood overall. It was of the usual average effectiveness in controlling my seizures, which began due to neurological brain damage in a traffic accident. Note: This medication is highlyY dangerous to pregnant women. It will cause permanent damage to their fetus."

SensiblePi July 16, 2015

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "Hemiplegic Migraines cause a severe aura with ataxia that leave one side of my body paralyzed. Valproic Acid & Magnesium Sulfate are the one thing that will counteract it every time!"

MeyerAD (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 10, 2014

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Mania: "Bipolar I, I never went manic except during extreme stress, impending death of a family member, when I was under so much stress that I could not remember if I had taken my medication. I have never been one to abandon medication because I "missed" the high. The only other hospitalization was when a rural local 'doctoe in a box' prescribed Prednisone, despite the fact it is contraindicated for Bipolar and that I listed that I was Bipolar on intake sheet. That resulted in an 11 day hospitalisation to get my medications straight. In 2005 changed to Valproic Acid. I did have a manic episode requiring hospitalization prior to my brother's death in 2007. Since then I have had no problems, except low level depression, which I call being 'flat'."

LLG (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2014

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Brilliant. After 40 years of bouncing from one medicine to another, this was my answer. It gave me the control of my own emotions, not fully, but enough. I'm on a high dose, but the best thing of all is it just one medication. Nausea yes was there, but I found it worth pushing through."

farexinian January 7, 2014

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakene (valproic acid) for Bipolar Disorder: "Appreciated what this medicine has done for me. I'm on a pretty high dose and haven't experienced any of the symptoms of nausea or anything like that except right in the very beginning and that quickly wore off."

tkdmom (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2013

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "53 yrs old. Coming on for approximately 6 months I couldn't think or remember anything. Stayed in bed for days (retired). My face would grimace. Hands and feet would just "have" to move trying to "make the feeling stop". Relatives said I was avoiding answering direct questions. I was scaring myself, went to doc. Already on an anti-depressant, he added valproic acid 250 mg 2x a day. Worked perfectly for 13 days, then stopped. Went back in and he said just hang in there. After another 10 days, it started working again. Every once in awhile "it" comes back, so I take a pill maybe a bit early. Stayed on 3 a day. It has been a miracle for me. Today, I took apart my ceiling fan that had been broken for 2 years and wasn't afraid to do so. "

I'm better now August 22, 2013

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakene (valproic acid) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Effective for mood symptoms when at therapeutic level."

gertie67 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2013

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Hullicanation's, depression, mania, aggression."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2012

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Stavzor (valproic acid) for Mania: "This medicine is expensive, but it works. My son started taking this 4 weeks ago. He has experienced no side effects and it is working like magic on his mania."

RubyL February 23, 2012

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakene (valproic acid) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "After trying about 10 different medicines this one has been the best."

cottonkandie October 9, 2011

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakene (valproic acid) for Bipolar Disorder: "My Doctor prescribed me this medication and on the first night I took it I had bad nausea. I told my doctor about it and decided to give it another chance a few days later. The second time it caused nausea, heartburn and left an acid feel in my mouth so I don't know if it works for other people but the side effects weren't worth it. "

cautiousgirl_87 July 6, 2011

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures: "Depakote sprinkles is the formula my son was taking. It was an almost too good to be true solution for him for over 20 years. For those 20 years he experienced the following manageable side effects; weight gain, periodic hand tremors, constipation. It also gave him a much deserved good 'feeling'. After that his seizures broke through and other side effects appeared such as hair loss, skin issues and more severe constipation. We'll miss Depakote."

Lynnrx52 July 1, 2010

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I use Valproate Sodium for manic episodes I believe. I take 4 tablets per day. The main problem is weight fluctuation - expect a great increase! - and fatigue. If you forget to take the pills, you find a whole host of problems which is also awful but on the whole it works well."

arianelakyahoo.com December 1, 2009

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures: "Very effective medication while I was on it, I did switch to Keppra though due to some side effects. It made my hands shaky and weak."

Lizardoli November 3, 2009

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakene (valproic acid) for Seizure Prevention: "The side effects of this drug were so harsh I didn't stick around for its alleged benefits, i.e. seizure prevention. "

Rx2009 October 27, 2009