User Reviews for Valproic acid

Also known as: Valproate Sodium

Valproic acid has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 46 ratings on Drugs.com. 50% of those users who reviewed Valproic acid reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Mania   10.0
Epilepsy   3.0
Summary of Valproic acid reviews 6.1 46 reviews

Reviews for Valproic acid

Joe · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 7, 2021

For Epilepsy: “valproic acid is a horrible medicine Try to avoid. I lost 5 years of my life to memory loss before switching to vimpat (not 100% but definitely better)”

Ben January 20, 2021

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “I started to take Epival 1 month ago for schizoaffective and epilepsy. So far so good although I am a quite hyper on this. But I do tend to take the reverse on some medications. It has helped drastically for insomnia, depression and severe anger issues and my seizures. Hope everything stays good. Time will tell.”

ResearchDetective · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 7, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “This drug is clearly extremely dangerous for some people. It was for me. I felt like I was an entirely different person - and not a normal person either. It was as if an alien had taken over my body. I had bizarre paranoid thoughts, started thinking I was seeing symbols in everything. I lost all motivation and purpose. I became depressed and suffered from chronic insomnia that caused me to be awake at night and asleep during the day. My right hand started to tremble involuntarily. It got so bad that I couldn’t write or type. I lost the dexterity of my fingers such that I had to purchase voice recognition software to type and use my computer for the work I was doing. And my memory crumbled. I would walk into the kitchen from another room only to forget why I went there. This happened constantly and daily.”

Lo · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’ve been taking 125 mg in the morning and 375 mg at night (total: 500 mg daily, I’m very small— 4’11” and 100 lbs), and I feel like this med has helped me a lot. I have bipolar 1 disorder, which was never severe until last year when I turned 27. A few months ago, I was almost hospitalized after not sleeping for a week and being very agitated/hallucinating, but then started this med. I’m sleeping 9 hours a night, and able to work again! It has been about 2 months since I started the med, and I’m slowly rebuilding my life.”

Tobo · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 6, 2020

For Epilepsy: “After my first seizure at age 9, I was prescribed 600mg of valproic acid daily, so without comparison it’s unclear if it reduced my seizures. I had a few more in the first two years. Definietly not worth the side effects. It made me fat, socially reclusive and depressed to the point of suicidal ideation. (A big contrast to before) I felt it hard to find the energy to wake up every day. I was joyless and lethargic. Teachers noticed, so I was diagnosed with ADD and prescribed amphetamines. This led to a drug habit (I used weed to sleep after amphetamine-insomnia) and a distrust in doctors. To this day I’m seen as “all over the place” and it’s a consequence of this neuro-drug rollercoaster in my teens, starting with valproic acid. Good news: I’m seizure free since 2012, without meds. Using mindfulness to avoid triggers worked well enough for me to grow out of it.”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “So previously I was on sodium valproate awhile ago for Bipolar Disorder and I think I was on a low dose along side with lithium and back then I didn't notice any side effects. However now I am on a 500mg dose and it is causing some problems. I've noticed that I am starting to urinate all the time, and I also believe it has gotten to the point of also causing unpleasant pains in my testicles. My gut feeling is this drug is not really the suitable for bipolar as it also slows the mind and also creates bad brain fog from which I've experienced. Lithium really is the go to for Bipolar or lamotrigine.”

Bjay · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Have used this medication before with great results but due to alcoholism have always stopped taking it I also have Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis which during severe flare ups have to use corticosteroids to control it, which make my bipolar symptoms uncontrollable especially the mania. Have started this medication again and this time I will stay on it because I feel it will literally save my life. Some minor side effects like weight gain, dry mouth etc but that's nothing compared to the symptoms of my illness. All the best to everyone in a similar situation.”

veronikanchad February 29, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Once diagnosed with bipolar 2 they switched me from seroquel to sodium valporate. Initially 200mg am & pm. Difference was amazing! Sure bit of loose bowel but that went away. I was clear focused & calm. We did base line blood levels. But whilst waiting to see psychiatrist next I went slightly high then crashed next week. Fortunately I managed to get a message to Psychologist & psychiatrist. Dr wanted to increase dose but when you've lived with lows it becomes normal. I didn't know how bad I was. Luckily my appointment with psychiatrist was about 4-5ndays later. He realised I could hardly tell what day it was. I little memory of the previous few days. He wanted to admit me but I have no care for my son. So he increased my dose immediately to 500am & pm. Bit groggy first am but came good extremely fast. Absolutely an amazing drug. Acts so fast. Little bit of dry mouth but think that'll pass. It's a life saver. I really wanted to stay working & it got me back to normal very quick.”

Eima · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 25, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “This drug valproic acid has been very good for my schizoaffective disorder mixed bipolar type. I take 250mg dose in the morning and 500mg dose in the evening with like 0 side effects. Miracle drug !”

Lucky · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Valproate sodium has been very, very helpful with the symptoms from bi polar have tried lots of other medications for this with no success until I was put on sodium valproate”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2020

“I have been on valproic acid for approximately 8 months which they gave me for borderline personality disorder. Unfortunately this medication has neither helped with my mental health and the side effects are dreadful. I have been experiencing nightmares, tremors, weight gain, paranoia, depression, difficulty breathing, and I also had a kidney infection. As a result, I am weaning off of this medication and working with my medical team to utilize a non pharmaceutical approach to treat my mental health.”

Crys January 9, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was prescribed this medication after being diagnosed with bipolar. After a few weeks I found I was in the most depressive state I’ve ever been in - no hope, no will to live, the most insecure I have ever felt in my entire life. Did I mention the weight gain aspect of it? - actually water weight, not fat but it isn’t pleasant regardless. I work from 6am-5pm every day. I go to the gym from 6pm-9pm every night, yet I couldn’t sleep for the life of me. The insomnia it caused had me sleeping less than 3 hours a night which when dealing with bipolar is just asking for trouble. I don’t like this medication, the side effects I had a problem with may seem “stupid” but to me, feeling that way in general and about myself is not a life worth living. This medication made every day more of a struggle to get through than ever before. I have talked with my Dr. and am going to explore more natural supplements along side my healthy lifestyle and therapy.”

Miss P. · Taken for 10 years or more December 23, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Have been on Valproic acid 1000 mg. Recently was told lower to 750mg at bedtime for insomnia. Feel flat affect; would like my feelings back. Tremors were a problem. Less after lowered meds. Diarrhea aplenty! Thinning hair, depression, nightmares. Sharp pain right abdomen wakes me up from sleep.”

Ludvic · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 7, 2019

For Seizure Prevention: “My 13 year old has been on this medicine for seizure prevention after he reached 2 seizures a week; It's been 2 years since we started, and it's been great! Almost seizure free; He only had 1 seizure after watching the incredible 2 movie- I didn't know that the movie warned to be seizure prone. Aside from that episode, it's been great. Note that it also stabilized his mood- no more uncontrollable tantrums( he is also autistic).”

gray kitten June 19, 2019

For Seizures: “I do suffer from seizures but also depression and it helps with both”

Bipolarbear · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Not for me. Didn’t do much to stabilize me at low levels and sedated me at high levels. Also the side effects of Nausea, hair loss, zero sex drive etc didn’t help. There were periods where I thought it was working but those never lasted.”

Casanova · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Wow. Quick acting and highly effective in stabilizing bipolar II disorder. Some initial side effects were vivid dreams, trouble sleeping, racing thoughts and upset stomach. All of which have passed. That being said, this is my first mood stabilizer but it has been really effective none the less. Turns out I’ve had bipolar and not just manic depression. Really worked for me. I’m on 500mg CR per day”

Bloo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 27, 2019

“I was on this for borderline personality disorder. It was Ok at helping some aspects. Impulsive behaviour was made worse, anger returned within months, couldn’t remember anything and had a permanent brain fog. Hated it.”

M33gzz October 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “Awful awful medication. Give me anger like I've never had and at very random times. Also I am not an angry person in the slightest. Secondly also gave me very depressive tendencies and sent me to the ER.”

Pally5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’ve been on it for about 3 months now. I can’t say it has been good at all. Last month has been the worst - aside the lack of efficacy I experienced weight gain, thinning hair, tremors, diahrrea. From a ‘mind’ point of you I have never been so confused, one minute good the next very anxious and with lots of irrational racing thoughts (and I’ve been prescribed it over lithium for its supposed anti- anxiety properties). I’m trying to convincing my doctor it’s not the drug for me. Best wishes to you all”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “The jury is still out on this medication (branded as Epilim). I was prescribed 1.5g a day to act as a mood stabiliser. It's hard to tell if it's any better than previous medications. I didn't suffer any immediately obvious side effects and my mood does appear to have been mostly 'stable' since using it. Though I have suffered from increasing memory loss in the years since taking this drug so there could be possibly be a link there? I have read on some of the epilepsy (a condition this medication is usually prescribed for) forums that some 'users' have also experienced short term memory loss. Perhaps one day (probably after I'm long gone, or at least after my mind has faded away) evidence will come out to support this? For this reason I can only rate this drug as a neutral 5, with not much firm evidence either way. It's unlicensed for my condition and hence I am (as we all are) being experimented on to some degree.”

excelljess34 May 4, 2017

For Epilepsy: “After 2 years on this pill I'm starting to feel severe joint and muscle ache, swelling of the arm and legs... the swelling was so severe that it I couldnt walk. The side effects of this drug really outway the benefits.”

Scharcarnie March 17, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was diagnosed with Bipolar Effective disorder in Aug 2016 I was initially started on 500mg per day, but found my symptoms were still there, after seeing my psychiatrist the following month this was increase to 750 mg I still felt the same, so again I saw my psychiatrist who increased again to 1000mg by this time I was getting fed up, thinking whats the point are these meds ever going to work, anyway I carried on taking them but still no joy so I went back, the psychiatrist increased my dosage another 250mg so I now take 1250mg per day, 500mg day / 750mg night after a couple of week I noticed a big difference in my personality and so did others. I'm much less stressed my moods are normal, I'm so much more laid back its untrue”

TroubledTeenager · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 26, 2016

For Epilepsy: “I was diagnosed with Juvinile Myoclonic Epilepsy when I was 16. For nearly two years now I have been on Valparin. Although I haven't had a siezure for that duration at all, I must say there were some unpleasant side effects. Firstly, it made me loose my focus very easily. I was getting distracted at the slightest of provocation. It also made me unable to cry, you know, to let it all out just wasn't possible. And then there was also some bouts of depression that made me wonder if I am on the right drug. My final opinion is that take this med for a longer duration only if you can cope up with the side effects. Talk to your doctor if you feel uncomfortable with this drug.”

alligator112 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 21, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “I came off this because of the flat mood where I had no real feelings but I wish I hadn't cause I would've saved time cause I got a manic episode 8 months later with lamictal but I felt like I always did better and felt better on lamictal but I guess I was only on 300 mg so it made my mania worst when I wouldn't sleep enough because I was doing my work. and all semester long I felt like I was getting manic and psychotic but I guess I didn't realize it takes longer to recover from a manic episode. I'm thinking of going back on Epival and Invega or Epival and Latuda cause there's almost no options left and I hated clozapine cause it gave me seizures and broke my ankles. my main problem is I can't take my vitamins with Epival.”