User Reviews for Valproic acid

Also known as: Valproate Sodium

Valproic acid has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 48 ratings on Drugs.com. 49% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 39% reported a negative experience.

Bipolar Disorder  Off-label
8.5
Summary of Valproic acid reviews 6.1 48 reviews

Reviews for Valproic acid

ResearchDetective · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 7, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “This drug is clearly extremely dangerous for some people. It was for me. I felt like I was an entirely different person - and not a normal person either. It was as if an alien had taken over my body. I had bizarre paranoid thoughts, started thinking I was seeing symbols in everything. I lost all motivation and purpose. I became depressed and suffered from chronic insomnia that caused me to be awake at night and asleep during the day. My right hand started to tremble involuntarily. It got so bad that I couldn’t write or type. I lost the dexterity of my fingers such that I had to purchase voice recognition software to type and use my computer for the work I was doing. And my memory crumbled. I would walk into the kitchen from another room only to forget why I went there. This happened constantly and daily.”

veronikanchad · February 29, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Once diagnosed with bipolar 2 they switched me from seroquel to sodium valporate. Initially 200mg am & pm. Difference was amazing! Sure bit of loose bowel but that went away. I was clear focused & calm. We did base line blood levels. But whilst waiting to see psychiatrist next I went slightly high then crashed next week. Fortunately I managed to get a message to Psychologist & psychiatrist. Dr wanted to increase dose but when you've lived with lows it becomes normal. I didn't know how bad I was. Luckily my appointment with psychiatrist was about 4-5ndays later. He realised I could hardly tell what day it was. I little memory of the previous few days. He wanted to admit me but I have no care for my son. So he increased my dose immediately to 500am & pm. Bit groggy first am but came good extremely fast. Absolutely an amazing drug. Acts so fast. Little bit of dry mouth but think that'll pass. It's a life saver. I really wanted to stay working & it got me back to normal very quick.”

Bjay · Taken for less than 1 month · April 9, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Have used this medication before with great results but due to alcoholism have always stopped taking it I also have Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis which during severe flare ups have to use corticosteroids to control it, which make my bipolar symptoms uncontrollable especially the mania. Have started this medication again and this time I will stay on it because I feel it will literally save my life. Some minor side effects like weight gain, dry mouth etc but that's nothing compared to the symptoms of my illness. All the best to everyone in a similar situation.”

M33gzz · October 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “Awful awful medication. Give me anger like I've never had and at very random times. Also I am not an angry person in the slightest. Secondly also gave me very depressive tendencies and sent me to the ER.”

Pally5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 6, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’ve been on it for about 3 months now. I can’t say it has been good at all. Last month has been the worst - aside the lack of efficacy I experienced weight gain, thinning hair, tremors, diahrrea. From a ‘mind’ point of you I have never been so confused, one minute good the next very anxious and with lots of irrational racing thoughts (and I’ve been prescribed it over lithium for its supposed anti- anxiety properties). I’m trying to convincing my doctor it’s not the drug for me. Best wishes to you all”

Scharcarnie · March 17, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was diagnosed with Bipolar Effective disorder in Aug 2016 I was initially started on 500mg per day, but found my symptoms were still there, after seeing my psychiatrist the following month this was increase to 750 mg I still felt the same, so again I saw my psychiatrist who increased again to 1000mg by this time I was getting fed up, thinking whats the point are these meds ever going to work, anyway I carried on taking them but still no joy so I went back, the psychiatrist increased my dosage another 250mg so I now take 1250mg per day, 500mg day / 750mg night after a couple of week I noticed a big difference in my personality and so did others. I'm much less stressed my moods are normal, I'm so much more laid back its untrue”

farexinian · January 7, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: “Brilliant. After 40 years of bouncing from one medicine to another, this was my answer. It gave me the control of my own emotions, not fully, but enough. I'm on a high dose, but the best thing of all is it just one medication. Nausea yes was there, but I found it worth pushing through.”

I'm better now · August 22, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder: “53 yrs old. Coming on for approximately 6 months I couldn't think or remember anything. Stayed in bed for days (retired). My face would grimace. Hands and feet would just "have" to move trying to "make the feeling stop". Relatives said I was avoiding answering direct questions. I was scaring myself, went to doc. Already on an anti-depressant, he added valproic acid 250 mg 2x a day. Worked perfectly for 13 days, then stopped. Went back in and he said just hang in there. After another 10 days, it started working again. Every once in awhile "it" comes back, so I take a pill maybe a bit early. Stayed on 3 a day. It has been a miracle for me. Today, I took apart my ceiling fan that had been broken for 2 years and wasn't afraid to do so. ”

tkdmom · Taken for 2 to 5 years · October 5, 2013

Depakene (valproic acid) for Bipolar Disorder: “Appreciated what this medicine has done for me. I'm on a pretty high dose and haven't experienced any of the symptoms of nausea or anything like that except right in the very beginning and that quickly wore off.”

Maria · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 30, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “My husband was prescribed valproic acid for his bi polar disorder. He became a different person or I should say a shell of a person. He could not even hold his head up. He became ill, vomiting unable to hold anything down and dehydrated. He ended in the hospital over it. I would not recommend this medication to anyone.”

Casanova · Taken for less than 1 month · March 6, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Wow. Quick acting and highly effective in stabilizing bipolar II disorder. Some initial side effects were vivid dreams, trouble sleeping, racing thoughts and upset stomach. All of which have passed. That being said, this is my first mood stabilizer but it has been really effective none the less. Turns out I’ve had bipolar and not just manic depression. Really worked for me. I’m on 500mg CR per day”

rwal103 · September 29, 2009

For Bipolar Disorder: “Was prescribed this to stabilize mood swings. Tended toward depressive episodes while on this medication with severe side effects such as feeling faint when walking, going up stairs etc, unable to sleep, nausea, foggy mind, unable to think of words, constantly dropping things, heart palpitations, very dry eyes and anxiety.”

Bipolarbear · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 25, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Not for me. Didn’t do much to stabilize me at low levels and sedated me at high levels. Also the side effects of Nausea, hair loss, zero sex drive etc didn’t help. There were periods where I thought it was working but those never lasted.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years · September 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “The jury is still out on this medication (branded as Epilim). I was prescribed 1.5g a day to act as a mood stabiliser. It's hard to tell if it's any better than previous medications. I didn't suffer any immediately obvious side effects and my mood does appear to have been mostly 'stable' since using it. Though I have suffered from increasing memory loss in the years since taking this drug so there could be possibly be a link there? I have read on some of the epilepsy (a condition this medication is usually prescribed for) forums that some 'users' have also experienced short term memory loss. Perhaps one day (probably after I'm long gone, or at least after my mind has faded away) evidence will come out to support this? For this reason I can only rate this drug as a neutral 5, with not much firm evidence either way. It's unlicensed for my condition and hence I am (as we all are) being experimented on to some degree.”

Miss P. · Taken for 10 years or more · December 23, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Have been on Valproic acid 1000 mg. Recently was told lower to 750mg at bedtime for insomnia. Feel flat affect; would like my feelings back. Tremors were a problem. Less after lowered meds. Diarrhea aplenty! Thinning hair, depression, nightmares. Sharp pain right abdomen wakes me up from sleep.”

beefcake77 · August 7, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: “My p-doc wanted to get me off lithium, which I have been on for 12 years. Lithium was causing a big strain on my kidneys which would eventually put me on dialysis. Lithium gave me amazing stability, but the combination with Geodon caused ED to be a factor on a semi frequent occasion. I lost 14 lbs recently before I started Depakote, and since I've been on Depakote for 3 months I haven't gone up in weight at all. I've had a bigger appetite. My only complaint has been stomach diarrhea, many times with sudden onset. Sometimes it's constipation for a day followed by several days of diarrhea.”

LLG · Taken for 5 to 10 years · March 10, 2014

For Mania: “Bipolar I, I never went manic except during extreme stress, impending death of a family member, when I was under so much stress that I could not remember if I had taken my medication. I have never been one to abandon medication because I "missed" the high. The only other hospitalization was when a rural local 'doctoe in a box' prescribed Prednisone, despite the fact it is contraindicated for Bipolar and that I listed that I was Bipolar on intake sheet. That resulted in an 11 day hospitalisation to get my medications straight. In 2005 changed to Valproic Acid. I did have a manic episode requiring hospitalization prior to my brother's death in 2007. Since then I have had no problems, except low level depression, which I call being 'flat'.”

Anonymous128914 · December 18, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: “One dose of Valproic Poison (Depakote) gave me a rash on my arms and legs. 3 weeks later, I still have the rash. I didn't want to take this medication in the first place because of all the horrible side effects and my doctor convinced me to take it. Trust your instincts”

Ben · January 20, 2021

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “I started to take Epival 1 month ago for schizoaffective and epilepsy. So far so good although I am a quite hyper on this. But I do tend to take the reverse on some medications. It has helped drastically for insomnia, depression and severe anger issues and my seizures. Hope everything stays good. Time will tell.”

Bloo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · February 27, 2019

“I was on this for borderline personality disorder. It was Ok at helping some aspects. Impulsive behaviour was made worse, anger returned within months, couldn’t remember anything and had a permanent brain fog. Hated it.”

cautiousgirl_87 · July 6, 2011

Depakene (valproic acid) for Bipolar Disorder: “My Doctor prescribed me this medication and on the first night I took it I had bad nausea. I told my doctor about it and decided to give it another chance a few days later. The second time it caused nausea, heartburn and left an acid feel in my mouth so I don't know if it works for other people but the side effects weren't worth it. ”

Crys · January 9, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was prescribed this medication after being diagnosed with bipolar. After a few weeks I found I was in the most depressive state I’ve ever been in - no hope, no will to live, the most insecure I have ever felt in my entire life. Did I mention the weight gain aspect of it? - actually water weight, not fat but it isn’t pleasant regardless. I work from 6am-5pm every day. I go to the gym from 6pm-9pm every night, yet I couldn’t sleep for the life of me. The insomnia it caused had me sleeping less than 3 hours a night which when dealing with bipolar is just asking for trouble. I don’t like this medication, the side effects I had a problem with may seem “stupid” but to me, feeling that way in general and about myself is not a life worth living. This medication made every day more of a struggle to get through than ever before. I have talked with my Dr. and am going to explore more natural supplements along side my healthy lifestyle and therapy.”

Kimblerly · January 14, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: “This was the first drug I was prescribed when I was diagnosed. I took it for seven months, and in the beginning it seemed to worse. I ended up having to take three a day, but even that didn't feel like it was working. Towards the end it made my manic episodes worse and made me feel like I was spinning out of control. I had to switch drugs.”

Lo · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 21, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’ve been taking 125 mg in the morning and 375 mg at night (total: 500 mg daily, I’m very small— 4’11” and 100 lbs), and I feel like this med has helped me a lot. I have bipolar 1 disorder, which was never severe until last year when I turned 27. A few months ago, I was almost hospitalized after not sleeping for a week and being very agitated/hallucinating, but then started this med. I’m sleeping 9 hours a night, and able to work again! It has been about 2 months since I started the med, and I’m slowly rebuilding my life.”

SensiblePi · July 16, 2015

Depakene (valproic acid) for Seizures: “I was on this for 4 1/2 years, right up to a very high dose. I got the side effect of constantly feeling hungry yet never feeling full, no matter how much I ate. That immediately caused me to gain 10 lbs. a month for 6 months: 60 pounds! It also gave me the side effects of major depression and a generally unpleasant mood overall. It was of the usual average effectiveness in controlling my seizures, which began due to neurological brain damage in a traffic accident. Note: This medication is highlyY dangerous to pregnant women. It will cause permanent damage to their fetus.”