User Reviews for Valproic acid to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Also known as: Valproate Sodium

Valproic acid has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 6 ratings for the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder. 83% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Valproic acid Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Ben January 20, 2021

“I started to take Epival 1 month ago for schizoaffective and epilepsy. So far so good although I am a quite hyper on this. But I do tend to take the reverse on some medications. It has helped drastically for insomnia, depression and severe anger issues and my seizures. Hope everything stays good. Time will tell.”

alligator112 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 13, 2016

“I hated this medication. it gave me no mood, no feelings, not able to cry or a supposed flat mood my psychiatrist said plus it made me gain tons of weight in plus of the clozapine I used to be on that gave me seizures and made me break my ankles and it was completely useless cause I never needed it even though they thought "nothing has ever worked for you". I was only on it because they forced me to take clozapine and it was giving me seizures and the clozapine wasn't even good cause I didn't make any friends and I didn't really like anybody. ever since I've been on Lamictal 300 mg and Invega 12 mg I've felt more normal and I'm able to cry and feel true feelings like I used to.”

alligator112 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 21, 2016

“I came off this because of the flat mood where I had no real feelings but I wish I hadn't cause I would've saved time cause I got a manic episode 8 months later with lamictal but I felt like I always did better and felt better on lamictal but I guess I was only on 300 mg so it made my mania worst when I wouldn't sleep enough because I was doing my work. and all semester long I felt like I was getting manic and psychotic but I guess I didn't realize it takes longer to recover from a manic episode. I'm thinking of going back on Epival and Invega or Epival and Latuda cause there's almost no options left and I hated clozapine cause it gave me seizures and broke my ankles. my main problem is I can't take my vitamins with Epival.”

cottonkandie October 9, 2011

Depakene (valproic acid): “After trying about 10 different medicines this one has been the best.”

gertie67 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 24, 2013

Depakene (valproic acid): “Effective for mood symptoms when at therapeutic level.”

Eima · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 25, 2020

“This drug valproic acid has been very good for my schizoaffective disorder mixed bipolar type. I take 250mg dose in the morning and 500mg dose in the evening with like 0 side effects. Miracle drug !”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder