User Reviews for Aripiprazole

Also known as: Abilify, Aristada, Abilify Maintena, Abilify MyCite, Aristada Initio

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 7.4
Bipolar Disorder 5.6
Summary of Aripiprazole reviews 6.1 1,042 reviews

Reviews for Aripiprazole

Chalak July 18, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “Took 10 mg dose of aripiprazole at night time prescribed by doctor. The medication didn't work for me and my schizophrenia I had trouble speaking and suffering from nausea. Have to withdraw from this drug..”

Nicki · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 17, 2020

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “I have borderline personality disorder. Since I started on the medication I haven’t dissociated as much as before at all. Barely anything across years. Huge plus. I’m also not as suspicious/paranoid socially/interrelation-wise as before, which used to really muck me up. So that’s huge. I feel like I’m just more ”sane” and my mind is not as scattered or neurotic/paranoid. I’m still not sane and I’m still neurotic lol and there’s a long road to recovery but I definitely feel a difference from this medicine. It’s like I got one little extra layer of skin to protect me from my hyperrr-sensitivity. Thankful for this medicine.”

Happy again39 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Major Depressive Disorder: “I've been on abilify for about a month along side my Pristiq. Within a week my anger started to lessen and I was able to start to function again, even wanting to socialise and shower again. I am still showing improvements as the weeks progress. I do however , get manageable restless legs on 10mg. Its much more manageable than my anger was and if I'm moving or engaged with something I don't notice it. Prazosin at night counteracts the restless legs which I was on prior to abilify for PTSD nightmares. Live changer for me..”

Burgs June 25, 2020

Abilify Maintena (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: “Been taking this injection Abilify Maintena for the past five months and have had no side effects. I started taking the pill form (with no side affects), but I get stubborn and ambitious and stop taking my meds. Plus, it’s sucks to take pills everyday. This has help dramatically. My mood is significantly better and, after many years (over five), I’ve finally stabilized. I see my doctor once a month and she gives me the shot. Only downside is the price. There are many ways to get around that though... just communicate with your doctor. I highly recommend this for treatment resistant depression and mood swings. Saved my life!”

E · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Major Depressive Disorder: “Have never ever left a review on anything before but this drug Abilify has helped me so much so far. Was out of work, struggling to meet my basic functions necessary to live. I am now feeling like I can actually do things. I also suffer from anxiety and this has helped me so much with social anxiety/ physical symptoms from anxiety. Have been looking for a drug that will work for the past 5 years as I am treatment resistant. Give this a try people please!!”

Kieran June 14, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Autism: “I've had horrible shaking all over my body, even on the smallest dose (2.5mg), to the point where I couldn't walk and was escorted in a wheelchair in my room. This medication was given to me for no apparent reason, like everyone else in the ward (autistic and non autistic). I was the only one not handling it.”

Jay P · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: “I just started this Abilify at a 5mg dose and am going up to 10 mg today. Side effects were - nausea briefly - restlessness that might keep waking you up at night. Both of these went away. I was told by my psych that I might feel shaky but that should pass. Positives so far are less rumination and constant thinking. Less daydreaming. It doesn’t affect my actual ability to think. I haven’t gone manic on this yet. My temperament seems to be even and my energy level is good. I'll check back in in a month with the 10mg review. Thanks all.”

Phrenologeist · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Major Depressive Disorder: “I have very ruminative, treatment-resistant major depressive disorder (MDD) for which I've been hospitalized twice despite medication therapy and counseling. I have trialed at least twelve different antidepressants over the last twenty years, with modest results at best. During my second hospitalization, the attending psychiatrist presented a choice: lithium or aripiprazole (or neither, that was technically a choice, too). I asked him what he thought and his recommendation was aripiprazole, so we went with that. We started at 2.5 mg, then quickly moved to 5 mg. Within days I was no longer having mood crashes, my ruminations had diminished, and my mood had started to recover. I've stayed out of hospital ever since. I currently take 10 mg daily and experience no side effects. I still have my ups and downs (as is life) but my 'down' phases are shorter and much less severe. This med has been a lifesaver for me.”

ndr_mlt · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “I'm taking it for BPD (borderline Personality disorder) at the dosage of 10mg per day (previously I've taken quetiapine for 2 years and half) . For now (6 months of therapy) I have to say it works very well on anger outbursts and irritability (better than quetiapine XR 300mg). About side effects: I'm a bit restless but it's manageable. Only thing to say it's that it makes worse my hairs loss.”

Neil · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: “Abilify is the only antipyshcotic I've tried that works. I take the injection 300 mg every 28 days.”

Harrypawter · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Major Depressive Disorder: “I was on Abilify for 2 weeks and developed Tardive Dyskinisea quickly. It started with hip thrusting and then mouth smacking, eyes blinking. I couldn’t handle it. I was on a fairly low dose once a day. I also take a small dose of Reglan daily for gastroparesis and I went off of that and quit eating (can’t eat without it) to see if the TD would stop and it didn’t. So I am quitting the Abilify. I did have one positive experience though with Abilify and that’s that it brought me out of my extreme depression to where I was able to get up and shower and do normal things again. My depression had gotten so bad that I couldn’t even shower. So would I recommend this drug? Give it a try but make sure if you show any signs of TD to talk to your doctor ASAP!”

ailik · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: “I took this medication for about two months I'd say. The highest I ever went to was 5mg. While it did work on the depression, it made the mania a lot worse to the point where I went psychotic and ended up in the hospital. The biggest issue I had was that the doctor was very intent on keeping me on this drug despite the fact it was not working.”

seniha · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: “I took this drug a few years ago and felt like rubbish! My anxiety came back, I lost confidence and my eyes were rolling up. I hated this drug! But now I know every drug works differently with people so this may be good for someone else but for me it was rubbish as!”

abilified101 May 26, 2020

For Depression: “I have only been taking 2.5 mg of Abilify for 4 days so far, along with 50 mg Luvox for OCD and Depression (that I was on for about 10 weeks prior to adding Abilify to augment its' effects). Somehow I feel an EXTREMELY noticeable improvement in the deep depression I had. Unfortunately, you just have to test out these drugs for yourself. The second day, I noticed I had a newfound sense of calm and drive to do various activities like running and playing piano and hang out with people instead of spending the entire day alone in bed with no drive or ambition. Even with a migraine today, I am out of bed and more functional. For my severe OCD, I am still suffering, but I have a feeling ERP therapy I am about to start will be most beneficial in changing my brain (and the meds will make this easier). I can't believe this could be a placebo, because of the HUGE difference. On Luvox alone, I was moody, and deeply depressed/hopeless too often, and so exhausted.”

ALI · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

Abilify Maintena (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: “I have to thank the people that comments on here, I'm learning from your comments as a mother for a daughter. Thank you.”

Sally · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: “This is my first day taking Abilify 5 mg. I am at work and I feel HORRIBLE. I'm thinking about going home. I am dizzy, sweating, and just feel out of it. I took it 2 1/2 hours ago and wish I had the ability to make myself barf to get it out of me, but it was such a small tab it has probably dissolved. I hate my dr. for putting me on this. I feel like a zombie. Actually found myself staring at my computer with my mouth open. Awful, horrible rx.”

86Karma May 20, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I took this medicine Abilify for two weeks. It gave me energy like never before. It was good energy. However, I was too hyper and the medicine caused me to have restlessness and caused my left leg hurt BADLY. I could only sleep for 3 hours a night.”

Starbucks · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I did not find this medication to be helpful at all with PTSD symptoms. I also caused me to start developing the side effect of tardive dyskinesia symptoms.”

Helpfulmaybe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 14, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: “Abilify made me completely out of control. I acted in ways I never had before and where completely out of character for me. I was not in control of my emotions I cried hysterically all the time. I had to be put on something similar to Xanax because I guess my mouth moved uncontrollably. I developed a gambling problem and was out of control with a lot of different things all at one time. I couldn’t stop any of this behavior and it was tormenting. I wasn’t able to cope either. Horrible experience. Do not smoke marijuana with this I would advise against it it will use everything against you and become a problem and made me sicker.”

pay123 · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1, and this medicine was unfortunately a nightmare for me. Within the first night of taking it, I was up with vomiting and diarrhea to the point I was glued to the toilet. I was so weak I could not even stand up without getting dizzy, chills, and nauseated. I would nearly pass out anytime I even moved. I was stuck in bed for a whole week and had to miss work. I did not notice any good effects, but since I was so sick I wasn't particularly paying attention to my mental status. I only took the meds for 3 days before I had to stop because I literally could not function. I hope this was not a common occurrence and others are able to get relief from this medication- but for me it brought on very very bad side effects.”

Dee May 2, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: “It appeared to help because taking it happened to occur at the same time as my symptoms getting much better. Over the years, that was the story being told. No other medication before it did anything for me, so it seemed to be safe for me to stay on Abilify. I finally experimented with taking less after I realized I seemed different than other people. I was wondering why I could never remember things very well and was not very confident or comfortable. It has been a year tapering off from 15 mg daily and I am finally almost completely off. I have improved tremendously and for the first time in 15 years feel like myself. I did not realize how much this medication was making me dumb. Life is too important to mess up. As always, listen and trust your own intuition first. If you start to feel negative affects for any reason, so much that you do not enjoy life as fully as you feel you should, stop this med.”

Jules · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Major Depressive Disorder: “I’ve had major depressive disorder for years. The past 3 years I’ve had weeks where I wouldn’t move out of bed except to go the bathroom, get a bottle of water & that’s it. I was wasting away. My doctor said I was malnourished. I didn’t care about anything, anyone or myself. I’ve started seeing a psychiatrist & therapist for almost 2 years, but had yet to find the right meds. Then, about 3 months ago my psychiatrist put me on Abilify. I went from 5mg to 7.5 to now 10mg. I take it along with Remeron & Lamictal. I feel better than I have in years. So far, no side effects. This is like the sun I’ve been searching for for many years. Happy tears. Honestly it saved my marriage.”

Eismin · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: “I was on this for about two, almost three years before I stopped taking it. During that time I was more depressed than before more consistently. 0/10 do not recommend.”

gs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 26, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “aripiprazole is the worst antipsychotic I ever took. It managed mania and psychosis well but I barely had thoughts or motivation and it did nothing for my depression. Then I got horrible akathisia so I refused to take it anymore.”

Jolly farmer · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Autism: “My young adult autistic son has recently began taking Abilify at 2ml liquid per day and it is nothing short of a miracle. We have had years of aggression.. hitting biting and smashing our home. He is still the same autistic boy with his usual traits but the aggression is GONE. Tried respiridol previously which did nothing so don't give up... different meds work for different people. Has been taking this for 6 weeks so far.”