User Reviews for Aripiprazole

Also known as: Abilify, Abilify Discmelt, Abilify Maintena, Aristada

Learn more about Aripiprazole.

Tourette's Syndrome 5 reviews 12 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 48 reviews 46 medications

Bipolar Disorder 199 reviews 33 medications

Summary of Aripiprazole reviews 598 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Aripiprazole

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Autism: "At age 9 I was put on a low dose ( 2 MG if i remember correctly ) and continued to take take until i was 16 1/2 (almost 17) having had most of my problems figured out and looking at trying to live without it. over those years I went from 2 MG a day to 5 MG a day, and then at its worst 7 MG a day. almost 19 now (and after having to get medical help for not being able to hit puberty (unrelated, we checked)) I am looking at taking it again to help with the stress of the work environment. (as a side note; I have a weird middle ground of Asperger's and High functioning autisim)"

Anon03 December 6, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "Been on Abilify for 7 weeks now, starting at 5mg and increasing to 10mg 2 weeks ago. Worked within a day or 2 in that I could function again and has continued to mostly inmprove my depression although I do still have bad days I think this is a great drug"

Karen654 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: "Taken ablify for over 8 months, gradually put on 20 lbs or so. Better than Seroquel Xr for weight gain and hunger pangs."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Agitated State: "It did lots of bad things to me. Increased anger . sometimes when upset just pick up a mug and smash it. Could not control it. Also was violent with some one at least twice. Kicked a hole in the wall in hospital . jumped out of moving car. Found it hard to stay in one spot for long . probably had akathisia."

anonymouse no name (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I've been clean for almost 4 yrs. 1st time in my life. I got off all these medications because I was so messed up.I had a Combination of the diagnosis listed and PTSD. When I detoxed I was blessed to be in a facility that took me off all of the meds. I was taking for all my diagnosis. Replaced it all with exercise, NA mtgs., working with my sponsor, my therapist and talking to my Hp everyday. The first yr. I was so out of it but I eventually felt so much better. This medication caused me to become manic, having anxiety attacks, my upper abdomen became distill, I became incontinent and couldn't go poo to save my life. Basically, I went back to Oaklawn and was honest with the pysiciatrist I have now and I told her how hard I was working to not have to go back to having to put this crap in me."

Chris st.3216 December 2, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Major Depressive Disorder: "2.5 mg Abilify and 50 mg Sertraline are magic combinations for my depression. other SSRI and monotherapy of Sertraline don't work but my psychiatrist adds 2.5 mg Abilify and now I can smile again!"

Dannyss December 1, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "I take generic Cymbalta and have for 2 years. One day it just sucked, I was like really down, depressed and living like a hermit. I have been taking 10 milligrams of Abilify on top of the cymbalta 60 milligrams and so far I actually feel normal for the first time in my life. I am now smiling and going out , looking forward to fresh air and conversation again. Thank you Abilify, I am now getting back to life."

Somoa73 November 29, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "Been on abilify for 4 months and had to go off. It's a great medicine for bipolar. I could tell when I missed a dose because I would flip out. The down fall on why I went off was the weight gain. I gained 30 pounds in 3 months with just snacking. Dr told me it slows the metabolism down. I think it stopped it. So give it a try."

Feefee40215 November 28, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "Been on many antidepressants with little or no relief of symptoms. Was currently on cymbalta with little relief and asked my doctor about Abilify was prescribed 5 MG within a week I felt like myself again. I rarely left my house for two years. I have visited family, even able to go to public places ."

DebCD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Major Depressive Disorder: "On the 2 0r 2.5 mg as an add on to Trintellix. Definite noticeable improvement on mood and energy. No weight gain. The effects seem to be intermittent, so I'm hopeful my dosage will be increased on the next visit to my P-doc. It shows potential of being a life changer for the positive. I think an up to 5 mg may do the trick :) Great there is a $4 generic for my insurance."

Hopeful MDD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "this was a terrible drug for me. I can't tell you any physical side affect because I stopped taking it immediately after a week. This drug made me scared to go to work. Every time I get ready for work this incredible fear about going to work would possess me. I would call my job and tell them am sick when I was actually afraid. I would have my aunt call my job for me to call out because I was afraid. I would try to bring courage to go to work but the closer I was to work the worse the fear would be. I called out 4 times in a row. I almost got fired. when I stopped taking it, it all went away."

eliasadc (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: "At first i didnt like it but it helped. 60-90 days into the medication i was 100% me again. Thanks abilify"

GonePotso November 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I generic Abilify for four days before I stopped. It knocked me out, made me nauseous, and induced a particular auditory hallucination that ruined one of my favorite names. I was on 2.5mg for two days and 5mg for two days. It just did not bode well for me. It resulted in two weeks of dissociative mental breakdowns and the return of a previously-extinct self-destructive behavior that required medicinal intervention to stop again. It was just... not a helpful medication for me. I was diagnosed BPII at the time, now bumped to BPI. Added as a mood stabilizer with Lamictal. Made my doc think antipsychotics just aren't for me."

KittenCommander (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "i have very mixed feelings about this medication. i was given this for mood stability about a year before i was diagnosed bipolar. it worked really fast. my mood was very stable. but at what cost? It started out with slurred speech and constant drowsiness. eventually that faded away and then it turned into perhaps the worst thing I've ever had to deal with called internalised restlessness. It is also called akathsia. If I die and go to hell, it would be to the land of akathsia. I recommend this drug if you're lucky enough to not experience akathsia. it works really fast. they tried to prescribe me congentin to help, it barely did."

dogy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "This is one of the nastiest drugs i taken for bp. It gave me major depression,major anxiety,restlessness, and major mood swings. I wouldnt recommend this drug to my worse enemy."

Bmz (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Been on Abilify for 8 years. It completely removed my delusional thinking patterns at just 5mg and at 10mg it resolved a mania psychosis, and helped me get my life back on track. Only side effects were insomnia (which I took Imozop for) for when I initially began taking it, but 2-3 weeks after trial I was side-effect free."

Sal_j (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "Worked very well for me ! Had no problems and it definitely made a huge improvement"

Butterfly2009 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Agitated State: "After going off of this medication and switching to a less expensive one, I became so fuzzy headed and unclear. It was horrible. Once I went back on it, it took about four weeks for it to start working again. Finally I started seeing things more clearly and things were getting easier to sort out for me. This is my miracle drug. If you have anxiety or any kind of fear, I would recommend this med."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I have been on Aripiprazole for 2 weeks for BPD, alongside Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) therapy. It has changed my life! My marriage was almost at the point of divorce due to my paranoia, questioning, accusations and general anger including violence. I have done not a single one of these since the first day I took this drug! I also had a very serious suicide attempt and have not wanted to do nothing like that since. It's a wonder drug, I thank God I found it. The only side effect I have is restlessness, during the day I cannot relax but at night I sleep perfectly. The restlessness is a bit annoying but I am being so productive and have done so much more in these last two weeks than I have in a year. My husband is so glad to have the woman he met back by his side!"

Female30 (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: "I had asked my doc to change my medicine from Loxapine to something else that would allow me to get back to my baseline weight. In 3 months, didn't see any movement towards my baseline weight. I have been exercising (weights + cardio) for 1.5-2 hrs a day 6 days a week during this time as well while maintaining a pretty disciplined high protein diet. My body fat % came down from 22% to 20% in a couple of months, but hasn't gone lower after that. It's disheartening to see all that hard work yielding not so great results, which further affects my motivation to exercise considering I'm not seeing any more results. So this med hasn't been weight neutral for me (compared to baseline wt.) although I didn't gain any more weight on it either."

The Mad King (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "It's too bad that the internet seems to have only the negative reviews- very few positives- whether it be of a restaurant or a medication. When things are really good people aren't apt to post about it. I have been on Abilify for two different rounds. I take 400 mg each of Wellbutrin and Lamictal and my dr. suggested I add Abilify to augment due to some depression I was having. It seemed to work in the beginning but then I had some weight gain and attributed it to that- so I went off of it for a few months. My weight went up anyway due to poor eating habits. I ended up in another depression a few months later and I decided to give Abilify 10 mg another try. I am feeling much better!"

Candybars October 19, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "I have been on remeron, lamictal, strattera and for almost a year. I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, adult ADHD and ptsd. In August I was present when my best friend of 36 years years passed away from cancer. Needless to say that grief combined with MDD had me in a very bad space in my head. I Went to my doctor and he suggested abilify as an add on to the remeron, I was already on 45mg and he refused to increase. He also prescribed buspar as a prn for my anxiety. With in days the dark pit I was in closed up and I was able to breathe again. Although still grieving it comes in manageable waves now instead of being 24/7. I have had very minimal side effects and take 5mgs in the morning. I would recommend this medication"

Zhonaleigha October 14, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'd love to say this med was good for me. I can't. I've never had such an awful response to a medication. After 1 week of being on it I began to experience odd sensations. My arms felt disconnected, I couldn't get comfortable. At the 2 week mark I had to leave work two days in a row, customers were terrifying me, my pulse was 180! By this time my anxiety slowly shot up so high I was paralyzed. I couldn't walk across the room. I literally was stuck in a chair. Everything was extremely terrifying. Just sitting I was afraid to move. Once I saw my dr, found out I had suffered a severe panic attack that sent me into an anxiety attack for TWO weeks! I was ill for six months. Read the pamphlet with the drug , it lists SEVERE ANXIETY!"

BATEBALDI1 October 13, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "I absolutely hated this drug. My thoughts cycled so fast and I became 100 times more paranoid than I already am. I wouldn't leave the house and even preferred my closet. It multiplied my OCD as well."

Blue Violet October 11, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "I was diagnosed with depression in 2000. My doctor at the time was a bit of a quack and had no idea of the symptoms and treatments for depression. Moving forward, I have been seeing a very good doctor now for about 12 years. As you are well aware, not all meds for for all people. I am only writing this today in hopes of saving someone some time and frustration if Abilify is not working for you. I started taking Abilify as an enhancement to the Wellbutrin that I was already taking. As time went on, my depression got worse. To make a long story short, I went off of Abilify 3 months ago and life has been great. Not sleeping all day or dragging my butt, thinking clearer and have endless amounts of energy. STAY AWAY FROM THIS MED!"

alitlfaith (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 8, 2016