User Reviews for Aripiprazole

Also known as: Abilify, Aristada, Abilify Maintena, Aristada Initio, Abilify MyCite

Borderline Personality Disorder

5.7

Summary of Aripiprazole reviews 6.2 876 reviews

Reviews for Aripiprazole

NoMore · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Took Haldol for 30 years. Switched to Abilify 4 days ago. I developed SEVERE constipation. Had constipation on Haldol also, but not as bad. Gained 8 lbs in 4 days on Abilify. My experience with Abilify has now convinced me I am through with anti-psychotics regardless of the consequences. The only way I will take anti-psychotic is by being strapped down and a judges order forces a doctor to give it to me."

Sam July 13, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "I was only on Abilify for a short amount of time, but my symptoms only seemed to worsen as I continued. I was constantly exhausted, like falling asleep in class level of exhausted, and I was experiencing a fair amount of emotional numbness. I don't know why my doctor put me on this medication but I just couldn't handle it."

Penny · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "Started this 3 weeks ago. First week took 2.5mg once daily. Felt almost immediately better, that faded after the first week when I was instructed to go to 5mg. One daily. After 3 weeks I’m still depressed just not quite as bad, insomnia, increased appetite, weight gain 3 lbs, a feeling I can’t sit still, difficulty focusing. Joint and muscle aches, fatigue, and binge shopping on the internet. It’s not helping with suicidal ideations. I’m getting off it."

Artsygirl · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Agitated State: "I have been taking abilify 1mg for almost 3 weeks now for racing thoughts and I don't find the side effects are going away, I have terrible restless feeling, fast heartbeat, terrible cloudy head feeling and vomiting. I hate the side effects and think I'm going to stop taking it. I am super sensitive to meds so I started at .5 and even then had the same thing, it sucks because it did help the racing thoughts but does nothing for my anxiety or depression disorder."

Over-comer July 11, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Still working with Abilify, 5mg I started feeling great, then it stopped working. I am on 10mg its not working. I go to the doctors sooon. Maybe I need 15mg, I also take 450mg Wellbutrin. I'm a 54 female and I've suffered with Major Depressive Disorder and Anxiety from age 11. "

Chango · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 10, 2019

Abilify Maintena (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "This stuff is ugly, it numbs all feelings and desires, I sleep for about 12 to 14 hours. The weight gain is crazy, sexual side effects too, I took this stuff for a year and a half, then stopped cold turkey, with no problem...I wouldn't recommend this Abilify Maintena or ever take it agin"

I hate abilify · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: " I am on the 400 mg Abilify injection and I am miserable! My pdoc is the worst. She does not listen to anything I have to say about the drug regarding side effects. I am having muscle spasms as I am typing right now. I also have dry mouth, constipation, depression and agitation. I had this doctor with tunnel vision ten years ago you think I would have learned my lesson, but I do have an appointment on the 18th with a new proc thank god!!!! God help us all!!!"

Brooke · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 5, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "Abilify levels out my mania like nothing else but does nothing for my depression. Causes regular chest pain, weakness, and awful akathesia. Works for the most part, but I would definitely not recommend due to side effects."

Mom of 4 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 5, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Autism: "My 13 yr old has been on this for about 6 months and the dose went from 5 to 10mg to 20mg and were holding there. Weight gain has been from 165-215lbs. She is 5'8" so the size of an adult lady. She is so much more in control of her emotions. Her rages are gone, her meltdowns are gone, she is more normal then I've ever seen her be. She gets along with friends and family better. She feels better on it as well. She says she can focus and feels in control of herself."

Stanley · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "My primary diagnosis is OCD with anxiety, but for the last six months I've been in a deep depressive episode, consumed by intrusive thoughts and hopelessness. Note: I was not on any medication at the time. My psych suggested that I try Abilify, taken alone. I was highly skeptical of it working, especially at such a low dose (2 mg). However, on day three, it was like someone had flipped a switch in my brain and suddenly I was able to see the positive or neutral side of things, not just the negative. I didn't realize just how depressed I had been until this medication helped lift me up. My OCD symptoms are still there but my improved mood allows for me to handle them much better. No weight gain so far. Decreased appetite. Mild insomnia that seems to be fading after two weeks. Some increased desire to shop, but I'm trying to be conscious of and stop any impulses."

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 28, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: "It was okay. Lost 5 pounds the first week I was on it. My period also came back. My only problem was that it made it hard to stay asleep. I would fall asleep, wake up and do the same thing over and over."

Green bottle · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

Abilify Maintena (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: "I shared my experience once already. But I need to share it again. It has been now 4 months I take abilify maintena. And with the help of the pill form, I feel like the side effects are really subsiding. I gained 20 lbs but at least I feel somewhat normal again."

Ricki June 27, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Autism: "My son 20 years old autistic he start having aggression lots of anxiety dr put him on Abilify 10 mg morning morning 10 at night his aggression is worse and his also taking Depakote due to couple seizures in his teenagers years, make a story short the Abilify is not helping at all and his psychiatrist wants me to give him 30 mg , I’m lost don’t know what to do"

Diedra · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 25, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "The most terrible drug I have ever been put on. Always tired, trouble moving and dizziness. Would not recommend this drug to anyone."

Dusk33 · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "I've been on 5mg Abilify for a week and it's definitely improved my Psychosis, but done nothing to ease depression and I've had several borderline panic attacks since taking them. Also I'm not sleeping well. But I have lost 6lbs this week, so Abilify is so-so for me."

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 24, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "It helped immensely with my depression but I gained a gambling problem as a result of the compulsive side effect (this is indeed a side effect - check the side effect document). Had to go off of it Now I’m back to being depressed but I won’t lose my house!"

MyrrhC · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Just started on 10 mg Abilify for Depression, Anxiety, Tourettes and OCD. Been on it 2 weeks now and cannot even tell I am taking anything new. I am also on Amitriptyline, Mirtazapine, Visteril, and Cymbalta. Go back to Dr. this coming week for a followup, and to see if taking me off the Abilify or increasing the dose. We'll see..."

Chas13 · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "I took 2mg dose of Abilify three days ago and within hours regretted it. It is a horrible drug with horrendous side effects. I only took one pill but due to it’s terribly long half-life of three days I am still feeling nauseated, agitated, and have a stiff neck and sore joints. Yuck!"

Gina · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "Horrible experience. My doctor put me on Abilify to boost my anti-depressant that I was taking because I was still feeling depressed. It did nothing to help improve my depression. All it did was make me extremely tired and drowsy all the time. I later found out abilify is a psychotic medication. It may be more useful in other areas but, not for just depression."

t June 20, 2019

For Schizophrenia: "Aripiprazole horrible drug. I gained 30 kg. I feel like a zombie, no motivation, no energy no life.... many side effects. This should be taken off the market."

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 19, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "Abilify is not the answer. I have been taking it for 3 years. I am emotionally numb and have gained 35 lbs. I now have issues with cholesterol, blood sugar and thyroid function. I still hear voices and have gone through some of my darkest episodes of depression. Blocking dopamine levels is not the answer. It disturbs homeostasis and cures nothing. The psychiatric community is reaching for an answer when they still don’t understand the disease. They cannot measure dopamine levels and have no idea if high dopamine levels are truly the cause of psychosis. The side effects are not worth it especially when it doesn’t cure psychosis."

Maggie · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "I am very happy with Abilify. My doctor added 2 mg on top of the 20 mg Lexapro. I have been very depressed after my husband passed away 2 years ago. This past January I noticed more and more I wouldn't get out of bed or I would come home from work and just sleep. I hated everything and had a "I don't care" attitude. I sobbed all the time and I was starting to miss work. With Abilify I woke up and feel very happy. I am alert and life seems normal again! I know everyone is different but for me it works!"

Candy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "A psychiatrist of very questionable competence added Abilify to my antidepressant so that I would have to come back more often for visits (my antidepressant was working fine). The six weeks that I was on Abilify, I could not sit still in a chair for even five minutes. All I would do is pace. I have never been classified as bipolar by anyone but this doctor (major depression - yes) and I lived a nightmare while taking Abilify. I don't wish this on anyone. If a doctor suggests that you take this drug, please ask a lot of questions and do some research on your own."

FriedEgg · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2019

Abilify Maintena (aripiprazole) for : "Since starting this medication on May 23, 2019, I have gained 14 lbs. That's approximately 1 lb. per day. Aside from the weight gain, this medication manages my Mania and keeps it at bay. It also has helped make me more myself, getting out and active like I always used to be."

Loulou · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2019

Abilify Maintena (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "Starting in 2003 I have had problems. By 2009 it increased and my family finally took it serious when I tried to jump out of my mother's vehicle. 2012 I saw a new psychiatrist who finally got me stable on Abilify Maintena 400mg dose. It has been a miracle drug for me. Side effects suck but I can deal with the weight gain I guess. To counteract the fatigue I also take nuvugil and vyvance which I can sleep through these drugs that is how strong the fatigue is. But I am functional, happy, and no crazy wild thoughts. If I do have them they are not as strong and I tend to just shrug them off. I can tell the shot is working because at the end of the month I start getting irritable and sad and immediately when I take it I feel better. Oddly enough I cannot take abilify by pill form because it causes akathesia. I have tried every psychiatric drug there is and nothing has gotten me to where I am today expect Abilify Maintena"

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)