User Reviews for Aripiprazole

Also known as: Abilify, Abilify Discmelt, Abilify Maintena, Aristada

Learn more about Aripiprazole.

Borderline Personality Disorder 8 reviews 0 medications

6.3
Bipolar Disorder 204 reviews 33 medications

Summary of Aripiprazole reviews 618 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Aripiprazole

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Have been on Abilify for 9 days. It started working in 1-2 days, however don't feel discouraged if you are not seeing immediate results - they say it can take time. I started taking 2.5mg to augment my Effexor 375mg. Abilify lifted me out of depression and gave me energy and motivation to do things again. It took away all my anxiety symptoms and made my worries seem foolish. I'd been worrying intensely for a long time so it was a great relief. It did initially make me a little sleepy. And I think I've gained 1 kg (2.5lbs) so I'll have to watch it in that respect. So far I am entirely grateful for this drug. I spent so much time here reading the reviews before starting it, I was determined to come back and leave my own."

ifyouneed (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "Abilify works great for me to stablilize my mood . I take it to stable my moods and for anger issues. It has been a life saver. It mellows me out and helps me manage my anger/irritability. When I first started taking it, it made me sleepy and I didn't feel like doing anything. After a couple of weeks, that passed and I had more energy and motivation to get things done."

Mlf77 February 12, 2017

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "I`ve dealt with profound depression most of my adult life. I`ve gone the gamut of most antidepressants with varying degrees of success. Most, even the very useful, usually lose potency after a few yearsl Out of desperation, my physician prescribed a small dose of 2 mg of Abilify in conjunction with Wellbutrin. Within a few days, my energy levels skyrocketed and my mood greatly improved. Even though I`m concerned about the many side effects, I plan on staying with it while it still helps."

JC 69 February 9, 2017

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I am very happy with Abilify. I have been on it with Lexapro and klonopin and I am feeling much better than I was. I can make firm decisions. As a matter of fact I bought my first home at 58. I take care of my own finances and for the most part I am very pleased with my adulthood. I am a wonderful grandma and my babies love me. It is awesome to be me. I feel free and "human ". I am blessed!!!!"

Noblee (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 8, 2017

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "First I was afraid to start on this drug, I tried respiredone it was horrible - I had nightmares and fatigue, and I felt verry foggy. Doctor put me on abilify 2.5 mg in addition to effexor 300mg it works very well it gave me stability never been stable for long, no ups and downs it made my days better and really lift my mood! When I tried to stop I went into anxiety and depression so now I decide to go back on it. It really worth trying! No side affects except little fatigue. Life savior. No mood swings"

Deealt February 5, 2017

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I've left an experience description on this site, on July 1, 2016. On the plus side, I'm still calm, socially acceptable, void of psychosis, anger, am kinder and gentler. But I've and continue to do so, developed anxiety. It is accompanied by a strong depression. The quality of my life has taken a turn for the worse for the last two months or so. And it is constantly getting worse. Today I took half a tablet of Clonazepam, as suggested and prescribed by my psychiatrist for exactly this reason. Anxiety, panic. And it helped!! But I resent to have to take a pill for such deeply disturbing and serious a side effect. Especially one such pill that is potentially extremely habit-forming, tolerance-developing, and dependence-training."

KarinthyFrigyes (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2017

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I was put on 2mg of generic Abilify (aripiprazole) in June 2016 for tics caused by Tourette Syndrome, and titrated to 5mg after about a month. At 5mg, this medicine worked for my tics quite well, but some of the common side effects I experienced after a few months on the medicine is weight gain, blood sugar spikes (I also have type 1 diabetes), and the inability to sit still (i.e. the need to always be doing something, because everything I once enjoyed now bored me). I would also add that this medication is very expensive. I was uninsured for a month, and the pharmacy charged me $864.00 for a 1-month supply of GENERIC aripiprazole, made in India; needless to say, I did not buy it. This medicine is also difficult to withdraw from; TAPER SLOW"

r.w. February 1, 2017

For Tourette's Syndrome: "After taking 2-5mg of Abilify, it dramatically helped my tics at first, but it progressed them long-term. Years later I am still severely physically and mentally disabled by new illnesses I never had before. It deteriorated my mental health by causing conditions including: ADHD, and anxiety/panic disorder. I also developed Tardive Dyskinesia and Akathisia. After about 2 months, I had developed such severe withdrawals I could not get off. It was so intolerable that it took multiple drugs to counteract its side effects, and even then, they still were nowhere near manageable."

DWAG (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 25, 2017

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "Total Mania, could not sleep, monitored sleep showed never in REM sleep at all over an 8 hour period. Anxious, increased Resp Rate, wide awake, no hunger, racking thoughts. Unable to finally function at job related to no sleep. This drug is horrid!"

Manic now January 13, 2017

Abilify Maintena (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: "Forced onto this medication via a CTO. Delusions are still strong and troublesome. Doctors have no idea how to treat this condition. Side effects include insomnia, anxiety, constantly feeling sick and have therefore lost weight. This medication is completely ineffective and it is easier to live with the delusions without the negative side effects."

Flowag77 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug I was given trying to reduce tremors which my medical team they believe it is due to Lithium taken for 30 years. I have been taking Aripirazole 2 mg for 17 days. The tremors have not really reduced ... but the positive effects are more energy, feeling more upbeat, sleeping same. Some of this I think is I had to reduce the Lithium so it may be an offset . I am monitoring the Manic side of my disorder though ... I want to be careful. I am easily distracted, get headaches, lightheaded, off balance, blurred vision at night, heartburn, body pain, constipation. I am going to stay on this med at least until I see my Therapist on the 17th unless I have more side effects which then I would find out how to wean off."

28 January 7, 2017

For Autism: "My step-son, who is 13 now, has been taken Aripiprazole 2 Mg for over a year now. We have noticed big positive changes - he is able to focus more and is a lot more talkative. He is doing very well in school. So far, he has not gained much weight, but I did notice that he basically doesn't have breaks when it comes to food. However, portioning out his food is definitely worth the benefits of the medication."

AKBGDE January 4, 2017

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I have taken Abilify for 11 years now and although it worked wonders at 1st, I have developed a rather severe case of tardive dyskinesia which makes sitting still almost impossible. I believe that after this length of time of taking it it is losing its efficacy. The parkinsonian like symptoms of the tardive dyskinesia are also embarrassing and make simple things like typing on my phone difficult. It definitely helped with my violent tendencies. Still I am ready to look for an alternative second-generation antipsychotic."

Janeykins (taken for 10 years or more) December 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Only able to tolerate abilify for about 10 days. Although almost immediate improvement in my mood, motivation, etc, the side effects were more than I could bear. After about 4 days I started developing internalized restlesness (akathsia). It became unbearable. I had to stop. Has anyone experienced this akathsia with Abilify and been able to "break through" these side effects?? The mental benefits were quite amazing"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: "Diabetes, thoughts of self-destruction , compulsive behavior,no energy, etc"

Edward Hanley December 23, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "I was in a deep depression about a year ago. I was taking Lexepro and Ativan. I saw very little improvement after five months. My doctor added 2mg of Abilify. Within two days, the clouds had lifted. The worrying started to dissipate. I was able to think clearer with each passing day. I did notice a weight gain, but my doctor said this was because I was feeling better. I dropped the Abilify after about six months. My advice is to stay with it. As with most drugs, you start to feel better and don't need it any more. Wrong. Circumstances come up and you are in the pits again. I started back on Abilify last night."

JFW61 December 21, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "It's work wonderfully but it's extremely expensive if you don't have great insurance."

Raven8721 December 19, 2016

For Tourette's Syndrome: "well tolerated in torrette syndrome with quick results"

11farrukh22 December 19, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Abilify served me well over a two month period. Of all of the antidepressants that I have taken over the past 20 years, I would give Abilify the highest rating. However, one of its potential side effects can be significantly increased blood glucose levels in some Type 1 diabetics. Unfortunately I was one of these and I was never able to control these levels within an acceptable range and I had to discontinue Abilify as a result. These statements should be taken with caution since I was only able to take the drug for 8 weeks. I noted no other serious side-effects. I do suffer from ED but this is as much a result of 40 years of Type 1 diabetes as of any other factor."

StephenT (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Agitated State: "I started this just a week ago for severe anxiety brought on by some recent experiences I had. In the 13 years I've been seeing my psychiatrist I've never had such panic. He immediately asked me a couple of questions, knowing me very well, and then prescribed the lowest dose. I was hesitant but couldn't see any other option than I give this a try! WOW! For the first time in about a month I feel more "normal"! The anxiety is just about gone, I am functioning again and no side effects that I can detect and I am a lightweight with meds!"

MsMaggieMia2 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Autism: "At age 9 I was put on a low dose ( 2 MG if i remember correctly ) and continued to take take until i was 16 1/2 (almost 17) having had most of my problems figured out and looking at trying to live without it. over those years I went from 2 MG a day to 5 MG a day, and then at its worst 7 MG a day. almost 19 now (and after having to get medical help for not being able to hit puberty (unrelated, we checked)) I am looking at taking it again to help with the stress of the work environment. (as a side note; I have a weird middle ground of Asperger's and High functioning autisim)"

Anon03 December 6, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: "Been on Abilify for 7 weeks now, starting at 5mg and increasing to 10mg 2 weeks ago. Worked within a day or 2 in that I could function again and has continued to mostly inmprove my depression although I do still have bad days I think this is a great drug"

Karen654 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: "Taken ablify for over 8 months, gradually put on 20 lbs or so. Better than Seroquel Xr for weight gain and hunger pangs."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Agitated State: "It did lots of bad things to me. Increased anger . sometimes when upset just pick up a mug and smash it. Could not control it. Also was violent with some one at least twice. Kicked a hole in the wall in hospital . jumped out of moving car. Found it hard to stay in one spot for long . probably had akathisia."

anonymouse no name (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I've been clean for almost 4 yrs. 1st time in my life. I got off all these medications because I was so messed up.I had a Combination of the diagnosis listed and PTSD. When I detoxed I was blessed to be in a facility that took me off all of the meds. I was taking for all my diagnosis. Replaced it all with exercise, NA mtgs., working with my sponsor, my therapist and talking to my Hp everyday. The first yr. I was so out of it but I eventually felt so much better. This medication caused me to become manic, having anxiety attacks, my upper abdomen became distill, I became incontinent and couldn't go poo to save my life. Basically, I went back to Oaklawn and was honest with the pysiciatrist I have now and I told her how hard I was working to not have to go back to having to put this crap in me."

Chris st.3216 December 2, 2016