User Reviews for Valproic acid to treat Epilepsy

Also known as: Valproate Sodium

excelljess34 May 4, 2017

“After 2 years on this pill I'm starting to feel severe joint and muscle ache, swelling of the arm and legs... the swelling was so severe that it I couldnt walk. The side effects of this drug really outway the benefits.”

TroubledTeenager · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 26, 2016

“I was diagnosed with Juvinile Myoclonic Epilepsy when I was 16. For nearly two years now I have been on Valparin. Although I haven't had a siezure for that duration at all, I must say there were some unpleasant side effects. Firstly, it made me loose my focus very easily. I was getting distracted at the slightest of provocation. It also made me unable to cry, you know, to let it all out just wasn't possible. And then there was also some bouts of depression that made me wonder if I am on the right drug. My final opinion is that take this med for a longer duration only if you can cope up with the side effects. Talk to your doctor if you feel uncomfortable with this drug.”

Tobo · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 6, 2020

“After my first seizure at age 9, I was prescribed 600mg of valproic acid daily, so without comparison it’s unclear if it reduced my seizures. I had a few more in the first two years. Definietly not worth the side effects. It made me fat, socially reclusive and depressed to the point of suicidal ideation. (A big contrast to before) I felt it hard to find the energy to wake up every day. I was joyless and lethargic. Teachers noticed, so I was diagnosed with ADD and prescribed amphetamines. This led to a drug habit (I used weed to sleep after amphetamine-insomnia) and a distrust in doctors. To this day I’m seen as “all over the place” and it’s a consequence of this neuro-drug rollercoaster in my teens, starting with valproic acid. Good news: I’m seizure free since 2012, without meds. Using mindfulness to avoid triggers worked well enough for me to grow out of it.”

Joe · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 7, 2021

“valproic acid is a horrible medicine Try to avoid. I lost 5 years of my life to memory loss before switching to vimpat (not 100% but definitely better)”

Learn more about Epilepsy