User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 16 reviews 7 medications

6.1
Major Depressive Disorder 40 reviews 46 medications

Summary of Abilify reviews 494 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

For Bipolar Disorder "I was first put on abilify in 2004. It is very effective, and has been the most useful medication for me. I have developed gallstones, have a fatty liver and have high triglycerides. It is definitely not because of my diet. I was a vegan for 23 years and I am very strict with what I eat. I now have to get my gallbladder removed and I think it has to do with taking psychiatric drugs over the years. It is well noted now that abilify causes gallstones, a fatty liver and high triglycerides. I have been in constant pain for three months and just now, after 12 years of taking abilify, may discontinue the use and start something new. Overall, for the mood disorder this was highly effective and useful in treating my bipolar depression."

PostmodernistCupie August 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Just 5 mg made me blow up like a balloon. It increased my anxiety and I experienced blurry vision. It may work for some, but not for me."

DisorderJoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Not the drug for me. It made me very jittery. Restless legs +++."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I take abilify 15mg for voices and a mood stabilizer. I take it in the form of an injection and I've been on it for 7 months. It has dulled the voices drastically and stopped my severe mania. I am now able to think logically and the constant brain fog that I was suffering from has been lifted.I gave it 9 out of 10 because I still suffer from depression related to my ptsd. I currently am taking 20mg of Fluoxetine for my severe anxiety and depression.The only side effects I had from abilify was seeing faint flashes in the dark and slight tongue tremors. Other than that ablilify has worked wonders for me . I no longer experience mania and I am so grateful because I was extremely wild when I was manic."

TheLoneGirl August 14, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking Abilify for 10 yrs.I started when I was 16 yrsold after mental breakdown &going to be 26 yrsold on Oct. I never went over 15 mg. I'm currently taking 2.5 mg & I find it quite effective. I did gain some weight 15lb at the beginning but your mental health is very important. If you want to keep healthy and not gain weight while taking Abilify just eat healthy and hit the gym. I'm 5'6, have a curvy/slim toned body and I take Abilify and I feel great with my body. I'm 145lbs with muscle weight and I'm quite happy, im planning on some abs, thus Abilify hasn't stopped me. It's all in your head. Honestly this medication works well for me & I don't think its the major reason for weight gain. Always consult with your physiatrist"

NoAmmmiMag (taken for 10 years or more) August 10, 2016

For Depression "I was on abilify for 18 months and packed on 80lbs and discontinued it, It made me feel very flat and very tired, my doctor said it was weight neutral but it definitely isn't. Seroquel also made me gain but am on respiridrone now and though I have gained a little it's not as bad as the others. Abilify didn't help my delusions at all and I felt quite depressed on it. I quit it cold turkey and lost 6stone in 7 months but then became ill again. My biggest weight gains were always after I had been out and had a few drinks! Glad to be off it and might look into trying latuda"

Hells bells August 6, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This med sucks, anxiety level went up. Couldn't sleep couldn't concentrate. Can't spend quality time with my son. Yet to find the miracle drug."

Jburn101 August 6, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "My diagnosis Panic Disorder. But I struggle with anxiety, depression, ADHD and BPD as well. I've taken tons of medications to deal with my disorders. After being hospitalized for a suicide attempt, I was prescribed Wellbutrin first, which helped with suicidal tendencies. Then I was put on Lamictal (which I would also give a 10 star rating to). It made my anxiety and panic attacks vanish. However, I still felt empty. Like I had no purpose. My doctor finally put me on a low dose of Abilify. It helped, so much. It made a world of a difference in my life. I am SCARED to die now, when before I only wished I'd die. I take 15 mg now and it is amazing. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't had luck with traditional antidepressants."

NicoleB1234 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2016

For Depression "I am 18 years old. I've been taking abilify for almost two months and it has seriously messed me up. I have anxiety and depression. The only slight improvement I've seen is in my ability to interact socially. Otherwise, I feel awful. I either feel like a complete zombie, or I feel crazy and obsessive. My boyfriend is scared of me because I've become so out of character, and a jealous monster. I quit cold turkey and feel better than I have since I started taking it. Would not recommend."

Ihatemeds123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2016

For Depression "I literally started abilify YESTERDAY and it triggered my Zpots Syndrome (fainting) and I threw up. The paramedics came and they all thought it was most likely from starting abilify."

Ashcash (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

For Depression "I started taking Abilify to compliment years of taking Effexor. I am on 5 mg, and am experiencing many of the symptoms I am reading about here - weight gain, feelings of emptiness, and craving for sweets. The good part of it is all the depressing and worrisome voices are out of my head. The bad thing is the emptiness, but I figure I should filling that void with good things - hobbies, music, more quality time with my beautiful wife. Maybe that's the healing, not the pill."

M_Raghavan July 25, 2016

For Depression "I can leave my home and run errands without freaking out or sitting in the parking lot waiting for my husband or kids to drive me home."

Anonymous July 21, 2016

For Schizophrenia "I cannot imagine why I stood so long time on it! I stood on Abilify at 3 years time and 2 months. My problem with abilify was that my bloodsugar level increased and I became extremely Hungry all the time. If you have bad bloodsugar you need to eat often. And on everyrhing. I even gained weight on the slightest. The only positive was that I was not psychotic on it and my dreams when I was sleeping was OK! But Abilify affected my personality, I was not ME on it.. I was like somebody else but I do not know who! Abilify serve only 2 of 10."

jerko (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2016

For Depression "This is one dangerous drug as for me it made me feel half dead to me and the world around me it made my depression even worse and anxiety really bad to the point I was unable to do the things I wanted to enjoy. Was unable to settle..It put me in a dark place and gave me really bad dreams and good luck if on it more than 6months to come off, may the force be with you, it's a horrific experience so please keep clear!"

Wired up July 18, 2016

For Schizophrenia "I gained 60 pounds and had to go off of it because of that, it also made me tired and have panic attacks"

you can call me kitten July 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "10 months on 5mg abilify + wellbutrin and lithium. Gained 15-18 pounds. Found out this week that Abilify causes weight gain and it's the culprit - not an injury I'd been blaming it on. And I'd blamed myself and started "disordered eating" out of desperation. It gets rid of my mood swings and crying for no reason. I feel generally good except foggy while at work where I do not enjoy being. Unmotivated at work. Moderately motivated in personal life - better than in years. Absolutely quitting this drug. Now for the withdrawal I wasn't aware of when I decided to take it... I think this is a dangerous drug for anyone who is prone to weight gain or diabetes. Can't believe my pdoc didn't say anything when I complained about weight gain last time."

Slynnns (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Am 62. Been diagnosed at 20 with Borderline Personality Disorder, at 21 with Schizoaffective Disorder, then in later years with Autism and Asperger's syndrome. I am not sure which I am. (Plays into my theory that there is only one mental disorder, which has many different manifestations.) Had been taking antipsychotics from 20 to approx. 50, when I was switched to an Risperidone. Since 61, been on Abilify. Calm living, declining positive effects I feel, dosage needs to be adjusted (up) occasionally. Get mild anxiety attacks once a month, alleviated with Clonazepam. Socially better, forgetful, can't recognize faces, lose names. Crystalline memory improved. More mature, wiser, but hopelessly inept at seeing details, visuals. LOST 10 lbs."

KarinthyFrigyes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Update on my previous post: I have seen multiple doctors and my skin has turned blue in some places, they say it is a side effect of the medication. Do not let them tell you it is a rash. It is not and Benadryl does not help. You are not crazy, yes your skin is changing colors in random spots."

Xoxoxkel (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed this medication after I already tried lithium and seroquel. The lithium helped me a lot & the seroquel gave me bad headaches. So they put me on abilify. I could not sleep no matter what I took to help, I was restless , I threw up , my body temperature switched from hot to cold rapidly. I couldn't stand without being dizzy. It was the worst experience. My depression was better but my anxiety was insane. Definitely not worth the side effects"

xoxokels June 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Ability 15mg on June 17th and now its June 25th so I've been on it for 8 days. On the 17th I was admitted into a mental hospital because of my bipolar and extreme anxiety. I'm taking it at night along with: Divalproex(Depakote)750mg, Hydroxyzine(Vistaril)50mg, Trazodone(Desyrel)50mg, and Clonazepam(Klonopin)1mg It seems to be helping me along with the other medications. So far I dont think I've had any side effects, knock on wood. I definitely recommend this medication if you have bipolar but make sure you take it also with a mood stabalizer. If you take it alone it can cause severe side effects."

StayStrongJustBreath92 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Started taking abilify and I noticed my mood became nothingness. I didn't feel happy nor sad. I just felt nothing. Has anyone experienced the same things? Prior to the feelings of nothingness, the night before (after a took it), I started becoming manic then about an hour later, I started becoming suicidal. Took Benadryl and became calm and sleepy. My manic and depression episodes were usually on a day-to-day basis whereas when I took abilify, it shifted within an hour or so. Also, the side effects were so bad I couldn't get out of bed. Felt very dizzy with headache, wanted to puke, heart rate was faster than usual, loss of appetite, and weak (very weak)."

Birdadoo (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

For Depression "I have been on 20 mg of Abilify now for about 10 years. When I first began taking it I gained over 100 pounds in 6 months. I finally stopped gaining at 250. I have tried everything to take the weight off. Nothing. My doctor added 20 mg of Lexapro. I gained 30 more pounds. I am going to stop taking the Abilify as the weight gain is causing health issues. I just hope the weight will come off."

Swb (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2016

For Schizophrenia "Weight gain!! increased my hunger and affect the metabolism! Need to eat often and was not myself on it!"

Henkeboj (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "It's only been two weeks but Abilify 2mg, added to Wellbutrin 150mg, has been amazing. I was misdiagnosed for many years and it's sad to realize how much time was lost to my illness that wasn't being properly controlled. I'd only taken ADs until now. I experienced dramatic improvement within DAYS and continued relief from symptoms which often left me homebound and sobbing with no interest or ability to work or socialize, even perform minor chores and the anxiety became crippling. Side effects include some vision issues and a spell of overwhelming fatigue a few hours after taking the med. Once that dissipates, I feel a lot of energy and am able to function very well. Fingers crossed for continued success. Much luck to all. There is hope."

meloosh (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

For Depression "Thank you for helping to relieve my anguish! Depressed and low, my nurse offered this med and it is nice. Of course, we are concerned about side effects, but I haven't had any serious issues with this one. I am a White Female. I am over 21. How long is the recommended length of therapy with this med? My nurse brings meds when he visited our home especially for me. I am a busy home maker. Basically, this is gentle yet effective."

Miss Nicki (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 12, 2016