User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 19 reviews 7 medications

Bipolar Disorder 201 reviews 28 medications

5.9
Summary of Abilify reviews 578 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

For Bipolar Disorder "I like this medication, but it causes my prolactin levels to go up. Which in turn cause my breast to leak milky fluid. Dr said he thinks it is from Invega injection. I just cannot take this side effect"

Patient2 July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on this for three days. The first day was horrific and I was definitively going to quit. I felt more trapped and traumatized by the 'problem things' I am dealing with than ever. The weird thing is I liked my psychiatrist but I felt the drug was killing me. I was horrified by some of the things I am dealing with but now three days later I feel it is starting to balance things out and put me in a humored mood from my 'problems' rather than a traumatized one. I swore off of all psychiatric pills for the past fourteen years, but decided to give it another shot. In the big picture, I think it is the right decision, but it is making me worrisomely hungry."

charge It Up (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I didn't notice a big difference on Ablify. I feel more level headed but also I feel more indecisive, dizzy and restlessness. I was on 10 mg for 3 months and the restlessness was so bad I couldn't sit still."

Anonymous June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have had chronic mild depression for most of my adult life. I took Prozac for over 20 years but it really didn't help. I was then prescribed Citalopram 40 MG, which did make a positive impact on my depression. When it wasn't quite enough, my doctor prescribed 2 mg of Abilify - which I have been taking for over 3 weeks. I can only say that this med works. I have never ever been a "morning person", but since I started on Abilify, I have been getting up very early and taking on the day with a lot of energy and positivity. In my view, this medication does work as a supplement to existing anti-depressant medication. Only side effect experienced thus far is: mild insomnia (no weight gain at all - at least so far)."

HB1000 (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Agitated State "Gave me akathisia that still does not go away 8 days after quitting while it should. I need to be moving all the time (in a car or something like that counts ) and it's unbearable."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been prescribed ability and loxapac for a manic episode on May 19th for slightly more than three weeks. It worked well but early June I started to feel unable to sit still at some places. Around June 10th I had terrible anxiety and panic attacks, it was pure torture, so back to the institution. Had to wait two days until a doctor showed up , gave me something that stopped it all and removed the two drugs. It might be loxapac. Fact is, since then, there is another torture. Akathisia in the form of wanting to walk all the time. It's been one week now and thanks god it stops at night. I want to live (I'm not even 20) I pray it stops fast l've suffered enough. I really hate Abilify or Loxapac"

Anonymous June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have taken every medicine that there is for my Major Depressive Disorder & the only thing that helped was Viibryd 40mg. So I've been on that for 2 years and last time I went back to my psychiatrist I told him that I still had a lot of days where I'm still extremely depressed. So he put me on Abilify 10mg once a day. Been taking that for almost a week. Well my problem is that both meds work great for me. But I've never had high blood pressure and I'm 37 years old. I went to my primary care Dr Friday and they put me on blood pressure meds. So I'm wondering if it's the Abilify causing me to have high blood pressure since all my life my blood pressure has been perfect till now."

Kriegelmomof2 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Started taking Abilify in August of 2016. The day after I wanted to drink. I'm a recovering alcoholic, called my physciatrist and she switched seroquel to Thorazine. And I got over the next couple of days. I just received an inheritance somehow I ended up with 191 Groupons, online shopping I couldn't have controlled so much in an amnesia state. Wouldn't have known this was happening. Went to Dr and hospitals 8 or 9 times with different things of Abilify! I had an suicide attempt in March. I stayed awake for 4 days afterwards. I've wrecked my car 4 times. I have TD and Akatasia now. I've never had a drug complicate me as much! I was also severely anorexic."

Abilify ruined my life June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Yay!Love abilify. I'm 56, started on lowest dose 3 weeks ago and my thinking process has never been so normal. Way more motivation. Feels like a miracle after decades of mental torment. My doc will probably increase my dose a bit in 2 weeks. Looking forward!"

Suki56 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I agree w/ Triple Dee. This drug=the worst. It was suppose to help psychotics. It turned me into a zombie. Also turned me into a compulsive shopper, which can be accomplished from the couch I became glued to due to my zombie state. With no motivation, my house was a mess. And, the eating!!! OMG. I gained a pound a day. I have clinical depression & massive anxiety. I take 40mg of Viibryd. Tough tough drug to get on in the beginning, but I stuck to it & it's been a blessing. No sexual or eating side effects. I went on 450 WellButrin to survive Midwest winters. I stay on it year round. Anxiety-I take Xanax-four .5 pills a day-3 @ bedtime & I split the 4th-1/2 in the morning; 1/2 at dinner. Don't want all these drugs, but they keep me going & productive."

cyan18180055 May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Been taking 5mg a day for 2 months in addition to Celexa for MDD. Don't feel much benefit,-- maybe a slightly more stable mood , but my blood pressure has dropped too much. I'm now starting a taper to see if it helps any better at 2.5 mg."

Cari7262782 May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Autism "My child has been on Abilify for a while now and we have not noticed any changes really. He still has aggression, self injurious behavior, and extreme levels of impulsivity. I can't take him out in public because he randomly hits people especially small children. If he is prevented from harming others he starts hurts himself until we have to restrain him. He has callouses on his wrists from biting and hitting his mouth repeatedly. The doctor has already increased his Abilify up to 10mg twice a day and he's on Clonidine 0.1mg 6 x's a day, Concerta 54mg a day, Ritalin 10mg a day, and Vistarel 100mg a night and melatonin at night. It's like he is on nothing though. I am terrified to take him off because it might make him worse. I'm so lost."

Lost mom in Florida May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Agitated State "My little brother was on this medicine for close to a week and half and the second he realized it wasn't helping him he stopped taking them and the life is sucked out of his body. He has cold sweats and struggles to find a meaning for life. Before he was happy and just had some major issues with our parents so the psychiatrist prescribed him this. This is a bad drug . 1 star. Cry on your friend shoulders until your better but don't take this drug if I met the creator of this I would express to him/her how many lives he probably responsible for- it is a disgrace to society."

jason12345 May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I prescribed Abilify adjunct 60mg Cymbalta I had been on for years during a very stressful and depressing time in my life. It was GREAT ! I was going to have to go into the hospital but it worked within 5 days!!! I was recommending it to everyone in my family! After being on it for 6 months, and gaining about 20 lbs., I developed a profound tremor or tic in my hand and I couldn't make it stop - not even at night so I couldn't sleep. They took me off the Abilify and within 4 weeks the tremor stopped completely. I also lost 25 lbs. without even trying since being off of it. Recently, I noticed increased depression and anxiety so I am trying other meds now to get back on track. So far Deplin & Latuda have not worked. Just started Rexulti...."

SC Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have bipolar II, cycle up in spring and major depressive in the fall. I have tried lamictal, great drug but got the rash, geodon, ok but felt like I was drunk, latuda, got the jaw pain whitch was awful. Ability seems to help with the overwhelming agitation I get in the spring time. I hope it is as good in the fall for my depression phase."

Cptnken May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on abilify for almost a month the only side effect I have is waking up in the middle of the night a few times I have actually lost 12 pounds I am eating good and drinking plenty of water so I'm sure that helps I'm also on Zoloft and topamax all in all it's a much better drug than my previous geodon I would recommend it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I had very bad depressed thoughts and since taking Abilify my total blackness in my life had been lifted. I had been suffering depression and fits of mood swings. This Abilify actually works. I stoped raging at life and to put a literal perspective on this. Its more or less one of the best that been prescribed to me .I used to yell , convulse and almost had completely collapsed. The only downside is the restlessness but melodramatic sense of unwanted sleepless nights. All I got to say to everyone keep taking what you are prescribed."

Phil. B. (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I am very very sensitive to medication. My psychiatrist and I tried several meds before landing on this one, which my body can actually tolerate. I was extremely depressed. Nothing seemed to lift the fog. After taking Abilify 2mg (at night), I noticed it's benefits a week later. I'm more determined, focused, and actually want to get healthier. No suicidal thoughts. Don't feel like a zombie. It does make me sleepy which is why I take it at night. It's been almost a month on this new medication and so far so good."

A925 May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been taking abilify on and off for about eight years. I feel so flat. I use to be a go getter not anymore. I feel lazy with the abilify and lamictal combo. What should I do. I feel emotionally flat and people say I look lifeless."

Tina1988 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on Antidepressants for years - After several different meds my doc has me on Celexa 40 mg - I was still experiencing anxiety and worsening depression so we tried Abilify 10 mg. It was terrific until day 6 when my anxiety was horrible and I couldn't sit still at all. This med tripled my anxiety so I stopped it. I'm now taking 1/2 my Celexa (20 mg) and I started myself back on Welbutrin today - finally, the anxiety caused by the Abilify is gone - I see my doctor tomorrow - but I was just wondering what else works on Anxiety?"

Boyz5 May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "After taking anti-psychotic medications for 9 years and trying just about every single one of them, I have finally found one that is working for me, at this point in my life. I started this medication (Abilify) nearly 4 months ago and the positive changes I’ve seen in my life make me so happy. I have lost almost 30 pounds within these last several months, I have been more active with my children, and I actually get off the couch and walk and enjoy life. I’ve been involved with my “FitBit” challenges which I would’ve never attempted to even think about doing before. My manic episodes are very rare and less erratic. Before when I would be on a anti-psychotic medication I would feel like I was in a “zombie mode” barely functioning day by day. The only downfall I have with this medication (Abilify), which is a side effect, is if I get up to quickly I get dizzy and just collapse. Now I’m at a plateau with my weight, but I’m not gaining weight either. I give this Anti-Psychotic Medication a 9 out of 10."

Charlotte9459 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm on 5mg Abilify with a combination of Wellbutrin and lexipro medication therapy. Having no side effects. My sugar levels are within normal range and my BMI is at 23, normal range. I've had nothing but success on this medication. Previously, having to try numerous medications Atypical and second generation antidepressants, the regimen I take now has significantly decreased my symptoms of wanting to harm self and severe depression (isolation, poor self care, etc). This medication is awesome! I would definitely recommend to others."

Snowtippy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Excellent. Depression lifted fast. Stabilizes my mood very well, as a bonus I spontaneously los 55 lbs! All that weight came from Seroquel and Zyprexa. Con, has a negative effect on sleep, I need melatonin to be able to sleep. Also my blood pressure is suddenly a lot lower, 102/63 causing some light headedness during the day. It's however the first med that is able to stabilize my mood very well with very acceptable side effects."

Blueszz (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm not an easy patient, unsatisfied with the weight gain from the typical atypicals, lacking an 'oomph' from lithium, allergic to lamotrgine and anti-depressants give me a one way ticket to the manic rollercoaster. I started Abilify and within 3 days I was hypermanic and nauseous to boot. No sleep, spending $400 on some bed sheets seemed like a marvellous idea, thrill seeking etc and throwing up every 3 hours. However my psychiatrist guided me through it with sleep meds and something to settle the stomach and I'm so glad I pushed through. Yeah, the restlessness is an issue but I'd like to consider myself an 'experience and going out' person now. Anything better than the listlessness of depression or meds that are supposed to cure it."

Noekster (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Had to come off this med, experienced many side effects. My doctor put me on Lamictal (along with my anti-depressant and this combo worked well for me."

jaccar (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017