User Reviews for Abilify

Bipolar Disorder 5.5
Summary of Abilify reviews 6.1 842 reviews

Reviews for Abilify

Happy again39 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I've been on abilify for about a month along side my Pristiq. Within a week my anger started to lessen and I was able to start to function again, even wanting to socialise and shower again. I am still showing improvements as the weeks progress. I do however , get manageable restless legs on 10mg. Its much more manageable than my anger was and if I'm moving or engaged with something I don't notice it. Prazosin at night counteracts the restless legs which I was on prior to abilify for PTSD nightmares. Live changer for me..”

E · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Have never ever left a review on anything before but this drug Abilify has helped me so much so far. Was out of work, struggling to meet my basic functions necessary to live. I am now feeling like I can actually do things. I also suffer from anxiety and this has helped me so much with social anxiety/ physical symptoms from anxiety. Have been looking for a drug that will work for the past 5 years as I am treatment resistant. Give this a try people please!!”

Kieran June 14, 2020

For Autism: “I've had horrible shaking all over my body, even on the smallest dose (2.5mg), to the point where I couldn't walk and was escorted in a wheelchair in my room. This medication was given to me for no apparent reason, like everyone else in the ward (autistic and non autistic). I was the only one not handling it.”

Jay P · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I just started this Abilify at a 5mg dose and am going up to 10 mg today. Side effects were - nausea briefly - restlessness that might keep waking you up at night. Both of these went away. I was told by my psych that I might feel shaky but that should pass. Positives so far are less rumination and constant thinking. Less daydreaming. It doesn’t affect my actual ability to think. I haven’t gone manic on this yet. My temperament seems to be even and my energy level is good. I'll check back in in a month with the 10mg review. Thanks all.”

Phrenologeist · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I have very ruminative, treatment-resistant major depressive disorder (MDD) for which I've been hospitalized twice despite medication therapy and counseling. I have trialed at least twelve different antidepressants over the last twenty years, with modest results at best. During my second hospitalization, the attending psychiatrist presented a choice: lithium or aripiprazole (or neither, that was technically a choice, too). I asked him what he thought and his recommendation was aripiprazole, so we went with that. We started at 2.5 mg, then quickly moved to 5 mg. Within days I was no longer having mood crashes, my ruminations had diminished, and my mood had started to recover. I've stayed out of hospital ever since. I currently take 10 mg daily and experience no side effects. I still have my ups and downs (as is life) but my 'down' phases are shorter and much less severe. This med has been a lifesaver for me.”

Neil · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “Abilify is the only antipyshcotic I've tried that works. I take the injection 300 mg every 28 days.”

Harrypawter · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I was on Abilify for 2 weeks and developed Tardive Dyskinisea quickly. It started with hip thrusting and then mouth smacking, eyes blinking. I couldn’t handle it. I was on a fairly low dose once a day. I also take a small dose of Reglan daily for gastroparesis and I went off of that and quit eating (can’t eat without it) to see if the TD would stop and it didn’t. So I am quitting the Abilify. I did have one positive experience though with Abilify and that’s that it brought me out of my extreme depression to where I was able to get up and shower and do normal things again. My depression had gotten so bad that I couldn’t even shower. So would I recommend this drug? Give it a try but make sure if you show any signs of TD to talk to your doctor ASAP!”

ailik · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I took this medication for about two months I'd say. The highest I ever went to was 5mg. While it did work on the depression, it made the mania a lot worse to the point where I went psychotic and ended up in the hospital. The biggest issue I had was that the doctor was very intent on keeping me on this drug despite the fact it was not working.”

seniha · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I took this drug a few years ago and felt like rubbish! My anxiety came back, I lost confidence and my eyes were rolling up. I hated this drug! But now I know every drug works differently with people so this may be good for someone else but for me it was rubbish as!”

Sally · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2020

For Depression: “This is my first day taking Abilify 5 mg. I am at work and I feel HORRIBLE. I'm thinking about going home. I am dizzy, sweating, and just feel out of it. I took it 2 1/2 hours ago and wish I had the ability to make myself barf to get it out of me, but it was such a small tab it has probably dissolved. I hate my dr. for putting me on this. I feel like a zombie. Actually found myself staring at my computer with my mouth open. Awful, horrible rx.”

86Karma May 20, 2020

“I took this medicine Abilify for two weeks. It gave me energy like never before. It was good energy. However, I was too hyper and the medicine caused me to have restlessness and caused my left leg hurt BADLY. I could only sleep for 3 hours a night.”

Helpfulmaybe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 14, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “Abilify made me completely out of control. I acted in ways I never had before and where completely out of character for me. I was not in control of my emotions I cried hysterically all the time. I had to be put on something similar to Xanax because I guess my mouth moved uncontrollably. I developed a gambling problem and was out of control with a lot of different things all at one time. I couldn’t stop any of this behavior and it was tormenting. I wasn’t able to cope either. Horrible experience. Do not smoke marijuana with this I would advise against it it will use everything against you and become a problem and made me sicker.”

Dee May 2, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “It appeared to help because taking it happened to occur at the same time as my symptoms getting much better. Over the years, that was the story being told. No other medication before it did anything for me, so it seemed to be safe for me to stay on Abilify. I finally experimented with taking less after I realized I seemed different than other people. I was wondering why I could never remember things very well and was not very confident or comfortable. It has been a year tapering off from 15 mg daily and I am finally almost completely off. I have improved tremendously and for the first time in 15 years feel like myself. I did not realize how much this medication was making me dumb. Life is too important to mess up. As always, listen and trust your own intuition first. If you start to feel negative affects for any reason, so much that you do not enjoy life as fully as you feel you should, stop this med.”

Jules · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I’ve had major depressive disorder for years. The past 3 years I’ve had weeks where I wouldn’t move out of bed except to go the bathroom, get a bottle of water & that’s it. I was wasting away. My doctor said I was malnourished. I didn’t care about anything, anyone or myself. I’ve started seeing a psychiatrist & therapist for almost 2 years, but had yet to find the right meds. Then, about 3 months ago my psychiatrist put me on Abilify. I went from 5mg to 7.5 to now 10mg. I take it along with Remeron & Lamictal. I feel better than I have in years. So far, no side effects. This is like the sun I’ve been searching for for many years. Happy tears. Honestly it saved my marriage.”

Eismin · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “I was on this for about two, almost three years before I stopped taking it. During that time I was more depressed than before more consistently. 0/10 do not recommend.”

Jolly farmer · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2020

For Autism: “My young adult autistic son has recently began taking Abilify at 2ml liquid per day and it is nothing short of a miracle. We have had years of aggression.. hitting biting and smashing our home. He is still the same autistic boy with his usual traits but the aggression is GONE. Tried respiridol previously which did nothing so don't give up... different meds work for different people. Has been taking this for 6 weeks so far.”

GabeWhite5 April 18, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “This is a terrible drug!! I would recommend to never take this. I was on it for 3 months and it was the worst 3 months of my life. My anxiety and depression got so much worse and I felt as if I was trapped with no where to go or no hope. It also made me feel as if I were out of reality .”

CGoat April 17, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Abilify helped me go from hardly being able to get off the couch for months to cleaning the house. Things feel "possible", and you see something and think "I'll take care of that now." I'd say it doesn't make your mental state better so much as it fixes the body depression. I take abilify for MDD with Wellbutrin, and they're a great combo for me. The wellbutrin is great for my mood, and abilify allows me to get off the couch. I was worried when I started taking abilify because I didn't feel anything at all until day 9 or 10, so give it some time to start working. I haven't experienced any side effects, and have actually lost weight because of how much more I'm moving around. I'm on 4mg (two 2mg pills). One weird thing about the pills is that they're TINY, like 1/4 the size of a tic tac, no joke.”

Howisthislegal · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 7, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “Whilst being forced to take this drug Abilify, on several occasions maybe around 10 or so times, mid stream during urinating my stream would suddenly stop and ejaculation would flow out and this is also very painful. This stopped happening when I stopped taking the drug.”

Lou April 2, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I'm on Abilify and no longer hearing voices but I still see people who aren't there. Even while on the highest dose of this medication 400mg injection.. I also feel like a zombie most of the time. I'm too tired even to go grocery shopping at times. I'm myself again but I'm not quite the same. I've gained weight 30 plus pounds and I've been on the drug for 3 years. I tried going off of it to 300 and the side effects were my moodiness returned... Sometimes I question if my diagnosis was correct or they are just pushing this drug out to anyone who claims they are depressed.”

Endersmom · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “When I was first diagnosed with psychosis, about six years ago, they put me on risperidone. It was only recently that I discovered that, for all that time, even a moderate dose like 3.5mg/night was making me sleepy ALL DAY, I had no motivation, I became completely inert, I gained a lot of weight, maybe 50 or so pounds, which is a lot for my height. They recently switched me to abilify, and I’ve gotta say, it’s a hundred times better! I’m back to being “up”, I’m interested in things again, in being productive, I can even work. As for the weight, it doesn’t give me the appetite that risperidone did, nor does it mess up my blood sugar levels like risperidone did. There’s still a bit of fatigue, but my concerta, prescribed for ADD, nips that in the bud, and besides, even without the c, the fatigue levels are just nowhere near risperidone levels. TL;DR in terms of fatigue, motivation levels and weight gain, abilify is, by FAR, the better choice over risperidone.”

Abilify · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “Abilify is the worst possibly drug. Gain weight Zombie Restless No sleep really totally insomnia. It's horrible. Stay away from this. Holy moly”

Feelingbetter March 13, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “I have schizophrenia, anxiety (generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder), and depression. I started wellbutrin and abilify 4 days ago and I also take Loxapine. Because I started Wellbutrin and Abilify at the same time, I'm not sure which one is working for my anxiety. But it was at a solid 8.6/10 and now it's down to 5.5/10. So whatever Abilify and wellbutrin is doing, it's working for my anxiety a lot.”

Dreamer2000 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “This drug is okay for Psychosis but it can make me tired at times and sometimes I cannot sleep. I have insomnia from it. It takes away the bad thought but can make me have OCD like thought patterns and ruminating thoughts. I have been having odd side affects from it as well like blurred vision needing to look up all the time and sensitivity to light in my eyes. I feel more tired on it then I do off of it. My dose I take 400mg monthly and these are the side affects I am getting off of it.”

Cookie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Abilify and zoloft work well for my bipolar depression. My mood was never been so controlled, I feel like a new and normal person. It kills my sex drive so I also take a supplement for women which helps a lot.”