User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 19 reviews 7 medications

6.3
Bipolar Disorder 196 reviews 28 medications

Summary of Abilify reviews 568 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

For Major Depressive Disorder "Been taking 5mg a day for 2 months in addition to Celexa for MDD. Don't feel much benefit,-- maybe a slightly more stable mood , but my blood pressure has dropped too much. I'm now starting a taper to see if it helps any better at 2.5 mg."

Cari7262782 May 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Autism "My child has been on Abilify for a while now and we have not noticed any changes really. He still has aggression, self injurious behavior, and extreme levels of impulsivity. I can't take him out in public because he randomly hits people especially small children. If he is prevented from harming others he starts hurts himself until we have to restrain him. He has callouses on his wrists from biting and hitting his mouth repeatedly. The doctor has already increased his Abilify up to 10mg twice a day and he's on Clonidine 0.1mg 6 x's a day, Concerta 54mg a day, Ritalin 10mg a day, and Vistarel 100mg a night and melatonin at night. It's like he is on nothing though. I am terrified to take him off because it might make him worse. I'm so lost."

Lost mom in Florida May 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Agitated State "My little brother was on this medicine for close to a week and half and the second he realized it wasn't helping him he stopped taking them and the life is sucked out of his body. He has cold sweats and struggles to find a meaning for life. Before he was happy and just had some major issues with our parents so the psychiatrist prescribed him this. This is a bad drug . 1 star. Cry on your friend shoulders until your better but don't take this drug if I met the creator of this I would express to him/her how many lives he probably responsible for- it is a disgrace to society."

jason12345 May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I prescribed Abilify adjunct 60mg Cymbalta I had been on for years during a very stressful and depressing time in my life. It was GREAT ! I was going to have to go into the hospital but it worked within 5 days!!! I was recommending it to everyone in my family! After being on it for 6 months, and gaining about 20 lbs., I developed a profound tremor or tic in my hand and I couldn't make it stop - not even at night so I couldn't sleep. They took me off the Abilify and within 4 weeks the tremor stopped completely. I also lost 25 lbs. without even trying since being off of it. Recently, I noticed increased depression and anxiety so I am trying other meds now to get back on track. So far Deplin & Latuda have not worked. Just started Rexulti...."

SC Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I have bipolar II, cycle up in spring and major depressive in the fall. I have tried lamictal, great drug but got the rash, geodon, ok but felt like I was drunk, latuda, got the jaw pain whitch was awful. Ability seems to help with the overwhelming agitation I get in the spring time. I hope it is as good in the fall for my depression phase."

Cptnken May 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on abilify for almost a month the only side effect I have is waking up in the middle of the night a few times I have actually lost 12 pounds I am eating good and drinking plenty of water so I'm sure that helps I'm also on Zoloft and topamax all in all it's a much better drug than my previous geodon I would recommend it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I had very bad depressed thoughts and since taking Abilify my total blackness in my life had been lifted. I had been suffering depression and fits of mood swings. This Abilify actually works. I stoped raging at life and to put a literal perspective on this. Its more or less one of the best that been prescribed to me .I used to yell , convulse and almost had completely collapsed. The only downside is the restlessness but melodramatic sense of unwanted sleepless nights. All I got to say to everyone keep taking what you are prescribed."

Phil. B. (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I am very very sensitive to medication. My psychiatrist and I tried several meds before landing on this one, which my body can actually tolerate. I was extremely depressed. Nothing seemed to lift the fog. After taking Abilify 2mg (at night), I noticed it's benefits a week later. I'm more determined, focused, and actually want to get healthier. No suicidal thoughts. Don't feel like a zombie. It does make me sleepy which is why I take it at night. It's been almost a month on this new medication and so far so good."

A925 May 12, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I've been taking abilify on and off for about eight years. I feel so flat. I use to be a go getter not anymore. I feel lazy with the abilify and lamictal combo. What should I do. I feel emotionally flat and people say I look lifeless."

Tina1988 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have been on Antidepressants for years - After several different meds my doc has me on Celexa 40 mg - I was still experiencing anxiety and worsening depression so we tried Abilify 10 mg. It was terrific until day 6 when my anxiety was horrible and I couldn't sit still at all. This med tripled my anxiety so I stopped it. I'm now taking 1/2 my Celexa (20 mg) and I started myself back on Welbutrin today - finally, the anxiety caused by the Abilify is gone - I see my doctor tomorrow - but I was just wondering what else works on Anxiety?"

Boyz5 May 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "After taking anti-psychotic medications for 9 years and trying just about every single one of them, I have finally found one that is working for me, at this point in my life. I started this medication (Abilify) nearly 4 months ago and the positive changes I’ve seen in my life make me so happy. I have lost almost 30 pounds within these last several months, I have been more active with my children, and I actually get off the couch and walk and enjoy life. I’ve been involved with my “FitBit” challenges which I would’ve never attempted to even think about doing before. My manic episodes are very rare and less erratic. Before when I would be on a anti-psychotic medication I would feel like I was in a “zombie mode” barely functioning day by day. The only downfall I have with this medication (Abilify), which is a side effect, is if I get up to quickly I get dizzy and just collapse. Now I’m at a plateau with my weight, but I’m not gaining weight either. I give this Anti-Psychotic Medication a 9 out of 10."

Charlotte9459 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm on 5mg Abilify with a combination of Wellbutrin and lexipro medication therapy. Having no side effects. My sugar levels are within normal range and my BMI is at 23, normal range. I've had nothing but success on this medication. Previously, having to try numerous medications Atypical and second generation antidepressants, the regimen I take now has significantly decreased my symptoms of wanting to harm self and severe depression (isolation, poor self care, etc). This medication is awesome! I would definitely recommend to others."

Snowtippy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Excellent. Depression lifted fast. Stabilizes my mood very well, as a bonus I spontaneously los 55 lbs! All that weight came from Seroquel and Zyprexa. Con, has a negative effect on sleep, I need melatonin to be able to sleep. Also my blood pressure is suddenly a lot lower, 102/63 causing some light headedness during the day. It's however the first med that is able to stabilize my mood very well with very acceptable side effects."

Blueszz (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm not an easy patient, unsatisfied with the weight gain from the typical atypicals, lacking an 'oomph' from lithium, allergic to lamotrgine and anti-depressants give me a one way ticket to the manic rollercoaster. I started Abilify and within 3 days I was hypermanic and nauseous to boot. No sleep, spending $400 on some bed sheets seemed like a marvellous idea, thrill seeking etc and throwing up every 3 hours. However my psychiatrist guided me through it with sleep meds and something to settle the stomach and I'm so glad I pushed through. Yeah, the restlessness is an issue but I'd like to consider myself an 'experience and going out' person now. Anything better than the listlessness of depression or meds that are supposed to cure it."

Noekster (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Had to come off this med, experienced many side effects. My doctor put me on Lamictal (along with my anti-depressant and this combo worked well for me."

jaccar (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I have rapid-cycling bipolar and have been on Abilify for a little over 7-8 months. At first, I was on the Abilify by its self and I experienced worsened anxiety and depression. I was thinking about switching drugs after a few weeks of these negative feelings not going away, so my Pdoc added Zoloft to my mix. This combination was a life saver for me. I would definitely recommend using Abilify as an add-on. My mania is manifested as rage, impulsiveness, and rapid negative thoughts in my head and Abilify stopped that for me. The only negative side effect I have now is weight gain. I've only gained 8 pounds, but I have to ignore my food cravings."

veee March 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have been taking 450 mg of bupropion and 20 mg escitalopram for about 3 years and the combination has been working pretty well to control my depression and anxiety. I had breakthrough depression a couple of times a week, when I would feel guilty about random things, worry about things I couldn't control and get pretty "weepy". My doctor prescribed abilify, starting at 2.5 mg and increased it to 5 mg. This helped a lot! However, I gained 25 pounds in 3 months. I am tapering off abilify, and will start 25 mg of lamictal tomorrow."

momkat21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I took this med for 2 weeks. Within 3 days I was in full thrown into full a total manic state. I was awake every night by 3am because I couldn't sleep. I spent quite a significant amount of money in a short amount of time! I also put 4 pounds on in this time. The only positive thing I can say is that it gave me energy. The reason my pdoc tried me on it was depression and lack of energy. I also have bipolar and have been on Lithium for 3 years and have been steady until I took Abilify. Needless to say I have stopped taking this med."

Lpapa March 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on abilify for 6 weeks now and am still experiencing anxiety, agitation, constipation. I also feel sedated although I feel like I can't sit still."

Angel 23 March 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I started Abilify because my bipolar disorder drug cocktail became less effective. Abilify was new on the market. It lifted my mood considerably, I felt great. And without any bad side effects. I thought. After about 6 weeks I developed hand tremor. It got worse. My psychopharmacologist sent me to a neurologist who began treating me for a kind of tremor that's inherited. He did not believe it was due to Abilify- which now has a side effect listed as "muscle movements that could become permanent." Naturally I stopped taking Abilify. So either the neurologist is right, and Abilify activated the tremor or I developed the permanent muscle movement side effect. Either way, I now have to take an anti-tremor drug."

Merry Xmas (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Agitated State "Abilify made me extremely aggitated about the smallest things that wouldn't normally anger me. The time I was on it I am surprised I didn't end up in prison or a psych ward. One of the worst experiences of my life.. They must have had a good ad campaign for this drugs, because doctors seems to think it is the answer to everything. Fact is, the two trials done for the drug before it became the next coming of Jesus were done by the drug company who made it. Funny thing is, thy didn't hide in their trial that is caused agitation in a little less than half of their patients, which raises the question of why these companies even bother doin trials. They should just sell sugar pills, because it is clear that money was their only motivator..."

Nexxt March 13, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Autism "After 15 years of suffering from all kind of behaviors and agression we found the best neaouroligist in the world who cured my son from autisum, and it was a cure, if he was able to control the bheavior then he cured him to me. My son took 7. 5 abilify in the morning along with 2500mg of depakin chrono at night he took one 25 mg seroquel and depakin and 0. 25 clonozepam..My life has changed life is beautiful once you find the right combination..Abilify is a good medication. I love it"

KALAWANGU March 13, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "Excellent medication! When I was first on Abilify I hated it. At first the doctors put me on 10mg which I hated because the dose was too high ( thinking about it now) . Then my doctor raised it to 20mg which was just making me even more emotionless. So I switched back to risperidone consta (injection), but I've always hated risperidone consta, so I thought my life was over. But then I noticed I had a full pack of abilify left over from before. So I decided to take just small dose of Abilify along side the risperidone consta, and guess what? The Abilify is great at such a small dose. It completely blocks the side effects of risperidone and I can live a greater life now. So I take Abilify and have risperidone injection every 2weeks."

Huystread 2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Worst medication I've ever taken. Experienced every side effect except sudden death and compulsive gambling. Started to feel like a zombie devoid of anything real. If you're not psychotic, don't take this!!!"

Triple Dee (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 2, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have experienced depression for years now and nothing seemed to work or I would get all of the side affects. A few weeks ago my Dr prescribed Abilify and wow, it works. I am taking 5mg a day currently. I say give it a try. It improved my mood my depression. After a few days. It has given me a better quality of life with my 10 yr old son. It has pulled me out of the dark . I hope it keeps working."

Shalshock (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017