User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 16 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 38 reviews 46 medications

5.7
Summary of Abilify reviews 484 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

For Depression "I started taking Abilify to compliment years of taking Effexor. I am on 5 mg, and am experiencing many of the symptoms I am reading about here - weight gain, feelings of emptiness, and craving for sweets. The good part of it is all the depressing and worrisome voices are out of my head. The bad thing is the emptiness, but I figure I should filling that void with good things - hobbies, music, more quality time with my beautiful wife. Maybe that's the healing, not the pill."

M_Raghavan July 25, 2016

For Depression "I can leave my home and run errands without freaking out or sitting in the parking lot waiting for my husband or kids to drive me home."

Anonymous July 21, 2016

For Schizophrenia "I cannot imagine why I stood so long time on it! I stood on Abilify at 3 years time and 2 months. My problem with abilify was that my bloodsugar level increased and I became extremely Hungry all the time. If you have bad bloodsugar you need to eat often. And on everyrhing. I even gained weight on the slightest. The only positive was that I was not psychotic on it and my dreams when I was sleeping was OK! But Abilify affected my personality, I was not ME on it.. I was like somebody else but I do not know who! Abilify serve only 2 of 10."

jerko (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2016

For Depression "This is one dangerous drug as for me it made me feel half dead to me and the world around me it made my depression even worse and anxiety really bad to the point I was unable to do the things I wanted to enjoy. Was unable to settle..It put me in a dark place and gave me really bad dreams and good luck if on it more than 6months to come off, may the force be with you, it's a horrific experience so please keep clear!"

Wired up July 18, 2016

For Schizophrenia "I gained 60 pounds and had to go off of it because of that, it also made me tired and have panic attacks"

you can call me kitten July 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "10 months on 5mg abilify + wellbutrin and lithium. Gained 15-18 pounds. Found out this week that Abilify causes weight gain and it's the culprit - not an injury I'd been blaming it on. And I'd blamed myself and started "disordered eating" out of desperation. It gets rid of my mood swings and crying for no reason. I feel generally good except foggy while at work where I do not enjoy being. Unmotivated at work. Moderately motivated in personal life - better than in years. Absolutely quitting this drug. Now for the withdrawal I wasn't aware of when I decided to take it... I think this is a dangerous drug for anyone who is prone to weight gain or diabetes. Can't believe my pdoc didn't say anything when I complained about weight gain last time."

Slynnns (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Am 62. Been diagnosed at 20 with Borderline Personality Disorder, at 21 with Schizoaffective Disorder, then in later years with Autism and Asperger's syndrome. I am not sure which I am. (Plays into my theory that there is only one mental disorder, which has many different manifestations.) Had been taking antipsychotics from 20 to approx. 50, when I was switched to an Risperidone. Since 61, been on Abilify. Calm living, declining positive effects I feel, dosage needs to be adjusted (up) occasionally. Get mild anxiety attacks once a month, alleviated with Clonazepam. Socially better, forgetful, can't recognize faces, lose names. Crystalline memory improved. More mature, wiser, but hopelessly inept at seeing details, visuals. LOST 10 lbs."

KarinthyFrigyes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Update on my previous post: I have seen multiple doctors and my skin has turned blue in some places, they say it is a side effect of the medication. Do not let them tell you it is a rash. It is not and Benadryl does not help. You are not crazy, yes your skin is changing colors in random spots."

Xoxoxkel (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed this medication after I already tried lithium and seroquel. The lithium helped me a lot & the seroquel gave me bad headaches. So they put me on abilify. I could not sleep no matter what I took to help, I was restless , I threw up , my body temperature switched from hot to cold rapidly. I couldn't stand without being dizzy. It was the worst experience. My depression was better but my anxiety was insane. Definitely not worth the side effects"

xoxokels June 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Ability 15mg on June 17th and now its June 25th so I've been on it for 8 days. On the 17th I was admitted into a mental hospital because of my bipolar and extreme anxiety. I'm taking it at night along with: Divalproex(Depakote)750mg, Hydroxyzine(Vistaril)50mg, Trazodone(Desyrel)50mg, and Clonazepam(Klonopin)1mg It seems to be helping me along with the other medications. So far I dont think I've had any side effects, knock on wood. I definitely recommend this medication if you have bipolar but make sure you take it also with a mood stabalizer. If you take it alone it can cause severe side effects."

StayStrongJustBreath92 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Started taking abilify and I noticed my mood became nothingness. I didn't feel happy nor sad. I just felt nothing. Has anyone experienced the same things? Prior to the feelings of nothingness, the night before (after a took it), I started becoming manic then about an hour later, I started becoming suicidal. Took Benadryl and became calm and sleepy. My manic and depression episodes were usually on a day-to-day basis whereas when I took abilify, it shifted within an hour or so. Also, the side effects were so bad I couldn't get out of bed. Felt very dizzy with headache, wanted to puke, heart rate was faster than usual, loss of appetite, and weak (very weak)."

Birdadoo (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

For Depression "I have been on 20 mg of Abilify now for about 10 years. When I first began taking it I gained over 100 pounds in 6 months. I finally stopped gaining at 250. I have tried everything to take the weight off. Nothing. My doctor added 20 mg of Lexapro. I gained 30 more pounds. I am going to stop taking the Abilify as the weight gain is causing health issues. I just hope the weight will come off."

Swb (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2016

For Schizophrenia "Weight gain!! increased my hunger and affect the metabolism! Need to eat often and was not myself on it!"

Henkeboj (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "It's only been two weeks but Abilify 2mg, added to Wellbutrin 150mg, has been amazing. I was misdiagnosed for many years and it's sad to realize how much time was lost to my illness that wasn't being properly controlled. I'd only taken ADs until now. I experienced dramatic improvement within DAYS and continued relief from symptoms which often left me homebound and sobbing with no interest or ability to work or socialize, even perform minor chores and the anxiety became crippling. Side effects include some vision issues and a spell of overwhelming fatigue a few hours after taking the med. Once that dissipates, I feel a lot of energy and am able to function very well. Fingers crossed for continued success. Much luck to all. There is hope."

meloosh (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

For Depression "Thank you for helping to relieve my anguish! Depressed and low, my nurse offered this med and it is nice. Of course, we are concerned about side effects, but I haven't had any serious issues with this one. I am a White Female. I am over 21. How long is the recommended length of therapy with this med? My nurse brings meds when he visited our home especially for me. I am a busy home maker. Basically, this is gentle yet effective."

Miss Nicki (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I couldn't really tell whether it worked or not for Bipolar 1 Disorder. I was on a few different medications at once: Lamictal, Lorazepam (as needed), and for a brief time, Seroquel with the Abilify. The dose was 5 mg since I was experiencing a mixed episode with some paranoid thoughts. I didn't notice it being particularly helpful for depression. Maybe there was some slight mood stabilization, but not enough for me to really feel relief. I was taken off of it for this reason. Also, even at 5 mg, it caused me some restlessness and a sensation similar to a headache. It's expensive too."

xRavenx June 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have taken Abilify for around 5-6 years. I initially was prescribed it at the age of 15 which is way too early in my opinion. However its had relatively few side effects, and has by and large helped me from my tendency to veare towards psychosis or extreme mood swings. Don't try and get off this drug on your own, it can have horrible consequences. I'm not totally sure what was the Abilify withdrawal and what was my illness, but I had some very extreme mania, that may have been a side effect of withdrawal. Overall Abilify is a very serious drug, don't take it lightly, and I wouldn't recommend it for depression. But it has helped me tremendously, and I don't have much else to say that is negative about it."

phoebe94 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 2, 2016

For Autism "the med did make him gain weight in the beginning but I put him in special needs track and I make him go hiking, walking and running to help keep him fit he is the size for his height I noticed a lot of people said weight gain. We initially needed the med for my son who is 14 years old and autistic-semi to non verbal , who became somewhat aggressive once puberty hit and I had no choice . so he has been on it for about 2 years and it seems to be working but I fear what will happen if he ever is taken off of it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2016

For Depression "This drug has really helped me get back to the " the old me" again. I gain five sounds with this medication which I am not happy about but medication has really help me with my deprestion."

ashley bright May 31, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Taken abilify for 10 days for bipolar and bpd. I am sleeping well and the suicidal thoughts have vanished. However, I feel very low and incapable of fulfilling my responsibilities, ie medical appt, seeing my son. My partner prised me outside for a walk and I just sat on the ground for an hour incapable of moving. It's not like me to not want to go out. Feel utterly useless. Due to see my psychiatrist in another 10 days. The only advice I've had is to 'be strong'. However am simultaneously coming off quetiapine due to weight gain. I have not rated this medicine numerically as I am so confused. But personally I feel horrible. Better luck to anyone trying this medicine!"

Anon611 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

For Depression "I suffer from depression and anxiety and have taken every antidepressant medication you can possibly take. It wasn't until my doctor added abilify that I was able to function again."

Marilyn1717 May 29, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have only taken Abilify for about 2 weeks but it has been the best experience yet with meds. Very mild side effects that only lasted for 2 days. I wake up early with tons of energy and motivation. The thought of leaving the house during the day doesn't make me want to crawl in a hole. I have not had ONE depressing thought or episode and for someone with Bi Polar, that is AMAZING."

Anonymous May 28, 2016

For Depression "Started with 2mg in addition to mirtazipine, didn't notice much difference. Now up to 5mg, for about a week, and still don't really notice any difference in my mood. Everything is blah. Life is blah. This drug has really not done anything good or bad for me."

golgi May 27, 2016

For Depression "I was on Abilify for about 6 months.as an add on booster to take with my Effexor It helped somewhat with my anxiety, but not uresolved. Depression symptoms. I felt like a zombie (which isn't always a bad thing ) lol. About 2 weeks after I stopped taking it I developed a jerking movement in my arm, but it went away in a few months."

kaw1966 May 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Took Abilify along with Lithium. Abilify is very helpful for mania mood swings. I also noticed that when "voices" or loud thoughts in my mind were disruptive, Abilify was able to remove those. As most drugs, there were some side effects I did not like. Abilify did cause me to feel a bit dazed or doped, which also caused sleepiness during the day. It did not help me with depression, and seemed to contribute to it because of the sleepiness and dazed feeling. However, this drug was effective with the mania, and handy to have is the loud thoughts or "voices" are a problem."

Manuel231 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2016