User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 20 reviews 7 medications

Bipolar Disorder 206 reviews 29 medications

5.9
Summary of Abilify reviews 592 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

For Bipolar Disorder "I got extreme manic symptom after I used Abilify for one month. I feel very anxious and scared about everything. I have an illusion energy which leads me push up double times more than no medication usage, but I feel very weak and extreme anxiety in the next few days. It increases my distance between up and down emotion very far away, but the distance between up and down emotion should be neutral. After I withdraw all of them carefully with herbal sleeping pills for alternative, my distant emotion becomes shorter which changes to be neutral condition. When my emotion and mood become neutral, my excessive emotional reaction no longer appear anymore."

Anouniemous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "While this medication can be obtained relatively cheaply, please make sure you read about any side effects it can cause. While I did feel a little better while taking it, I gained a significant amount of weight in a short period of time (40lbs in 2 months). I have since been taken off of it because the rapid weight gain was concerning to my PCP who relayed it to my Psychiatrist. Make sure you speak up if you are experiencing any of the side effects. Weight gain like I experienced is not worth me taking this medication."

Depressed in TX September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "I was taking a lot of pills, some of which weren't working for me. Of course what works for the guy next to me might not work for me and vice-versa because our genetic make up is different. I have been taking this drug for about 3ish years and well I didn't noticed a difference until about 2 months ago when I raised the dosage by 5mg a day. I was on other antipsychotics as well as antidepressants and stuff for bipolar disorder. I'm on 400mg injection of abilify monthly as well as 5mg pill form a day still to this day. When I raised the dosage the voices stopped. They usually come back in some environments like at work, the gym or even when I get stressed but the voices and abnormal thoughts dimmed down dramatically I feel almost normal.."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "To anyone just starting Abilify, please reconsider. I started it as an add-on to Lexapro. Initially, it helped me feel like getting out of bed in the morning with slightly more energy or a better outlook, or I just wasn't as groggy when I woke up. Initially, that was helpful & I got the Rx free or cheap, so I took it for over 2 years. When I finally realized all these new problems were connected to Abilify , it was too late... 50 lb weight gain, constant involuntarily movements of fingers, toes & tongue, mouth sores, wild, harmful actions with no conscience or regret, many more. Then the worst withdrawal symptoms.. I wished for death for months it was so awful. A year after stopping, I'm still not the same & probably never will be."

SCA0804 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was given this medicine by a regular medical doctor in tandem with Prozac and Ambien. What a horrible combo!!!! After being on Abilify for several weeks every nerve ending in my body felt like they were on fire. I was hyper and couldn't stay seated. I found out that this medicine was burning my brain and causing Akathisia. I called my doctor and told him what was going on and he wanted to double the milligram. I said....ohhhhhhhh no your not!!!!! Because of this medicine combo things got so bad I tried suicide back in February of 2015. I took 13 sleeping pills. The hospital doctor in the psych ward said the combination I was on was wrong and he was surprised I wasn't in the hospital earlier !!!"

TJLEONG (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "I started abilify in January of this year, 10 mg. I'm now taking 15 mg. This medication has given me back my life. No voices, no visual hallucinations. I still struggle with mild paranoia though. I can get through the day, and that's saying something!"

catchme (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Autism "My 23 year old started Abilify (add on two topamax and zoloft) she had been exhibiting some outbursts and not leaving her apartment. We only started medicating her when she developed seizures at age 14 and it has been nothing but a series of meds since. I am happy to report that Abilify has seemed to be helpful. She wants to get out more and hasn't had an outburst in months."

lowermiddleclassy August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "This medicine made me have dream's that seem like reality night terrorism. Had me talking to and seeing people and things that were not there. I was talking to dead people! My family almost had me committed. A real vacation in a bottle is what I call it now! I'm so upset thank god I stop taking it when I did or who knows what else would or could have happened! Was a really bad vacation in a bottle!"

Hard2Luv (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I give Abilify the highest rating. I'm a 42 year old female with PTSD, Bipolar Depression, ADHD. I have tried every anti-depressant out there, from Amoxapine to Zyprexa, in which I experienced some extremely negative side effects from. So, needless to say, I am rather reluctant when having to start taking a medication that I've never tried before. (I've been taking 60mg of Prozac (fluoxetine) daily for the past several years). As of late, I've been experiencing increased symptoms in my bipolar depression. My doctor prescribed Abilify 5mg about 2 months ago. I have noticed such a positive change in myself. After only about 5-7 days of taking Abilify did I start to notice a change in my mood, attitude, outlook on life. It's been great!"

asklady75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "It's just silence in my head, its hard to think. I don't have schizophrenia. I just can't really think clearly. All night I stayed up dizzy and nauseous but I'm gonna continue the medicine in hopes that it loosens up and keeps me mellow headed. After the initial nausea I felt pretty chill. (If it gets better I will keep you guys updated.)"

Michael Shmakyl August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I had a bad time with this drug. It worked on my mood, but whenever I stood up, I got dizzy. I fell down the stairs once. Plus even with insurance, it's really expensive."

bipolarbunny (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "It's good I think I might need it again ?. ."

Josepsh (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "My 13 yr old was prescribed 3mg of abilify per day after one visit to a pediatric psychiatrist for depression. After 17 months his level of aggression, suicidal thoughts, and violence was out of control!!! We asked his PCP how to ween him off of it and did so over a period of 5-6 weeks. He is no longer violent, depressed, or angry. This medication poisoned my son and I am just thankful we had the sense to go with our own research and gut feelings and take him off of it before it was too late!"

Mfarr July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "Hi my son takes abilify for audible hallucinations and it has not worked. Worst drug ever hasn't cured his psychosis either"

Tired mum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I like this medication, but it causes my prolactin levels to go up. Which in turn cause my breast to leak milky fluid. Dr said he thinks it is from Invega injection. I just cannot take this side effect"

Patient2 July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on this for three days. The first day was horrific and I was definitively going to quit. I felt more trapped and traumatized by the 'problem things' I am dealing with than ever. The weird thing is I liked my psychiatrist but I felt the drug was killing me. I was horrified by some of the things I am dealing with but now three days later I feel it is starting to balance things out and put me in a humored mood from my 'problems' rather than a traumatized one. I swore off of all psychiatric pills for the past fourteen years, but decided to give it another shot. In the big picture, I think it is the right decision, but it is making me worrisomely hungry."

charge It Up (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I didn't notice a big difference on Ablify. I feel more level headed but also I feel more indecisive, dizzy and restlessness. I was on 10 mg for 3 months and the restlessness was so bad I couldn't sit still."

Anonymous June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have had chronic mild depression for most of my adult life. I took Prozac for over 20 years but it really didn't help. I was then prescribed Citalopram 40 MG, which did make a positive impact on my depression. When it wasn't quite enough, my doctor prescribed 2 mg of Abilify - which I have been taking for over 3 weeks. I can only say that this med works. I have never ever been a "morning person", but since I started on Abilify, I have been getting up very early and taking on the day with a lot of energy and positivity. In my view, this medication does work as a supplement to existing anti-depressant medication. Only side effect experienced thus far is: mild insomnia (no weight gain at all - at least so far)."

HB1000 (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Agitated State "Gave me akathisia that still does not go away 8 days after quitting while it should. I need to be moving all the time (in a car or something like that counts ) and it's unbearable."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been prescribed ability and loxapac for a manic episode on May 19th for slightly more than three weeks. It worked well but early June I started to feel unable to sit still at some places. Around June 10th I had terrible anxiety and panic attacks, it was pure torture, so back to the institution. Had to wait two days until a doctor showed up , gave me something that stopped it all and removed the two drugs. It might be loxapac. Fact is, since then, there is another torture. Akathisia in the form of wanting to walk all the time. It's been one week now and thanks god it stops at night. I want to live (I'm not even 20) I pray it stops fast l've suffered enough. I really hate Abilify or Loxapac"

Anonymous June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have taken every medicine that there is for my Major Depressive Disorder & the only thing that helped was Viibryd 40mg. So I've been on that for 2 years and last time I went back to my psychiatrist I told him that I still had a lot of days where I'm still extremely depressed. So he put me on Abilify 10mg once a day. Been taking that for almost a week. Well my problem is that both meds work great for me. But I've never had high blood pressure and I'm 37 years old. I went to my primary care Dr Friday and they put me on blood pressure meds. So I'm wondering if it's the Abilify causing me to have high blood pressure since all my life my blood pressure has been perfect till now."

Kriegelmomof2 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Started taking Abilify in August of 2016. The day after I wanted to drink. I'm a recovering alcoholic, called my physciatrist and she switched seroquel to Thorazine. And I got over the next couple of days. I just received an inheritance somehow I ended up with 191 Groupons, online shopping I couldn't have controlled so much in an amnesia state. Wouldn't have known this was happening. Went to Dr and hospitals 8 or 9 times with different things of Abilify! I had an suicide attempt in March. I stayed awake for 4 days afterwards. I've wrecked my car 4 times. I have TD and Akatasia now. I've never had a drug complicate me as much! I was also severely anorexic."

Abilify ruined my life June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Yay!Love abilify. I'm 56, started on lowest dose 3 weeks ago and my thinking process has never been so normal. Way more motivation. Feels like a miracle after decades of mental torment. My doc will probably increase my dose a bit in 2 weeks. Looking forward!"

Suki56 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I agree w/ Triple Dee. This drug=the worst. It was suppose to help psychotics. It turned me into a zombie. Also turned me into a compulsive shopper, which can be accomplished from the couch I became glued to due to my zombie state. With no motivation, my house was a mess. And, the eating!!! OMG. I gained a pound a day. I have clinical depression & massive anxiety. I take 40mg of Viibryd. Tough tough drug to get on in the beginning, but I stuck to it & it's been a blessing. No sexual or eating side effects. I went on 450 WellButrin to survive Midwest winters. I stay on it year round. Anxiety-I take Xanax-four .5 pills a day-3 @ bedtime & I split the 4th-1/2 in the morning; 1/2 at dinner. Don't want all these drugs, but they keep me going & productive."

cyan18180055 May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Been taking 5mg a day for 2 months in addition to Celexa for MDD. Don't feel much benefit,-- maybe a slightly more stable mood , but my blood pressure has dropped too much. I'm now starting a taper to see if it helps any better at 2.5 mg."

Cari7262782 May 29, 2017