User Reviews for Abilify

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Abilify.

Autism

Bipolar Disorder
5.8

Summary of Abilify reviews 6.5 610 reviews

Reviews for Abilify

For Major Depressive Disorder "Horrific pain and stiffness in neck"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2018

For Depression "After 3 years. I'm miserable taking this drug . Worked great at first . Felt clear and awake . Now I have to stop this med . Gained a lot of weight . My breathing is difficult and I find it hard to swallow food . I have stopped breathing 3 times now . I have reflux problems and worsening anxiety. Sad because it worked so well at first :("

Shelly32 January 11, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I took it once which made a horrible experience for myself. I woke up from a nap and I had double vision, nausea, vomiting and fainted because of Abilify."

Tzwashere (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

For Depression "I am 6’4 185 pounds and had 2mg generic ABILIFY added to my 450 mg Wellbutrin. It works. I could feel the improvement within a week. I have more energy and motivation to do things. I don’t dwell on negative things as much as before. It appears that low doses of this drug are the best as an adjunct to antidepressants for depression compared to higher doses. Higher doses are better for the other indications. It does seem to be somewhat constipating for me and others have different G.I. side effects. But the benefits far outweigh any transient side effects."

LeedofNJ (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2017

For Depression "I only took this medication once. Within an hour after I took my 2mg pill (also with 20mg lexapro) at around 9-10pm, I started to feel incredibly nauseous to the point where it was almost unbearable. I went out on a short car ride with a friend and had to stop because I started vomiting right in my hands, and then I threw up for about 5 minutes on the curb, feeling super terrible. My friend was almost about to call an ambulance because I just looked that messed up. When I got dropped off at home, I still felt incredibly nauseous. I laid on the floor for 3 hours straight CONSTANTLY projectile vomiting until around 2:30am. Yes I ran out of things to throw up and had to force myself to throw up and eat to make myself feel better."

Alyssa A (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

For Depression "Used along with Prozac (Fluoxetine) helped Anorexia Nervosa symptoms."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm not sure what mental issues I have exactly, they've told me this and that over the past 15 years. I got people talking going on and seeing them. I also have anger outbursts and take things out on myself, but doesn't happen when I hear and see the people. So anyway, I tried Risperdal before from my doc and it helped me to be able to read and understand what I read, but with Abilify it's not as good, although Risperdal made me have gynecomastia big time, and Abilify doesn't cause as much prolactin. I think it's a decent medication, but the voices and seeing people are still strong and break through the veil, even the mask of the medication, so I'm not cured. But it's better than nothing I guess. But one day I may go off of it."

Boaneldhaoel December 2, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug has been a lifesaver to me. It's helped provide me with mood stability with an antidepressant effect, whereas lithium only controlled the mania part of my mood. I use this in combination with other drugs and so far there hasn't been any side effects. I tried decreasing the dosage, and within 2 days I noticed a difference in my mood. I would definitely recommend this drug. This has made a difference in my mood, the way I think, and my overall perspective. This improved my motivation to get work done, since I wouldn't be just sitting around reminiscing in a negative thought loop. It gives me mental freedom and allows me to escape brain fog that has imprisoned my thoughts. Seriously, don't be afraid to try this drug"

Josh1447 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2017

For Schizophrenia "Stop using it! I've been on it for 2 years and feel like I'm dying. I've had hives diarrhea, racing heartbeat, dilated pupils, etc hair loss, insomnia, weight loss and scared I'm for my life. It has worked well up until last two weeks. I'm aboriginal and so no cost to me."

Gap_22nd November 22, 2017

For Depression "So I went on ability about a year to two years ago and it made me gain 50lbs in less than 6 months. A lot of my depression ties into my self worth and body image issues so gaining so much weight (A long with hundreds of stretch marks) definitely damaged my self worth and thus making my depression worse. Plus I didn't feel like it made any difference in my life whether I took it or not. Worked for 2-4 weeks then quit working"

Mac80000 November 22, 2017

For Depression "I only took it once before bed. Don't remember the dosage. Woke up later sweating, heart racing, confused. I even called an ambulance. Took it as an adjunct for depression. Had the same experience with seroquel, another atypical antipsychotic. Just no good for me."

bpmabq (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "INSOMNIA and FEELING HORRIFICALLY HORRIBLE AFTER 1 DOSE. NO MORE POISON, PLEASE!!"

emg128 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I said that I have troubles with focus and concentration, forgetting everything , unable to do simple jobs, but can do creative stuff. I have normal IQ (*142) and I'm skeptic all the time. Don't believe in ghosts, magic, gods and all other stuff like horoscopes, karma, souls, but my grandmother was paranoid schizophrenic and very religious. I thought there is condition called ADHD, but they prescribed me "Abilify", because they said it's depression. First was injection to muscle. Then I took small very expensive pills. But after few weeks I started noticing side effects and no improvement in anything. Unable to sit normally, smoking more cigarettes and later I even had problem to move my muscles. My eye lids didn't moved, face like "frozen"."

Marijus Stasiulis (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Was put on Abilify to control hypomania. I'm very, very sensitive to pretty much every medication. Initial I had a stomach ache that only lasted one night and some tiredness the first two days. However... After this I had severe hypomania and restlessness that just didn't go away. It wasn't akasteisia though. Unfortunately I can't reach the mood stabilizing effect - being at least 10 mg - since I can't go any higher than 1.25 mg without having side effects such as emotional numbness, numbness of my face, twitching, increased eye blinking - which of course scares me since there is a risk of Tardive Dyskinesia. It's definitely a very powerfull drug. BUT it really did help my depression and anxiety, just didn't help control my hypomania. LOL"

Bipolardance (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "The medication, at first, did was it was supposed to do. I was a shut in with some paranoia thrown in and hadn't left my house in over a year, except to go to doctors appointments and get groceries in the house. At first I found the medication got me out and about and got me back into the real world. I signed up for college, got in contact with friends I hadn't talked with in ages, and started living again. For that, this drug was fine. Then the side effects started kicking in. Keep in mind I was on 2mg of this drug and even then the side effects were bad enough to knock me OUT of college and suffer something called "Depersonalization through Disassociation". One of the scariest experiences I think I've ever had. I don't recommend it."

DDPKS October 20, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication was the worst experience of my life and I've been through a lot of rubbish. I experienced insomnia depression anxiety and pesudo ME on abilify. I was on it for 3 months and I spent my time feeling lobotomised and wanting to give up on life. It took me 3 months to fully get back to my old self. Going between depressed and manic. I found a medication that works for me with out professional help afterwards."

OWER (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "When I first starting taking abilify, I was about 14 and a half and 130 pounds, and it worked great. My mood was great, side effects were minimal. However, over the course of about a year I have gained almost 60 pounds, and that was while playing two varsity sports and a club sport that whole time, so I was active majority of that time. When I came off it recently, I lost about 10 pounds over two weeks, but I was much worse than I was before I went on it, (which I find weird), so I was put back on. It is impossible to get the weight to go away."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2017

For Depression "I just take this the week of my PMDD and it helps with the mood swings and the irritability and agitation."

Lilmissbitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I got extreme manic symptom after I used Abilify for one month. I feel very anxious and scared about everything. I have an illusion energy which leads me push up double times more than no medication usage, but I feel very weak and extreme anxiety in the next few days. It increases my distance between up and down emotion very far away, but the distance between up and down emotion should be neutral. After I withdraw all of them carefully with herbal sleeping pills for alternative, my distant emotion becomes shorter which changes to be neutral condition. When my emotion and mood become neutral, my excessive emotional reaction no longer appear anymore."

Anouniemous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "While this medication can be obtained relatively cheaply, please make sure you read about any side effects it can cause. While I did feel a little better while taking it, I gained a significant amount of weight in a short period of time (40lbs in 2 months). I have since been taken off of it because the rapid weight gain was concerning to my PCP who relayed it to my Psychiatrist. Make sure you speak up if you are experiencing any of the side effects. Weight gain like I experienced is not worth me taking this medication."

Depressed in TX September 11, 2017

For Schizophrenia "I was taking a lot of pills, some of which weren't working for me. Of course what works for the guy next to me might not work for me and vice-versa because our genetic make up is different. I have been taking this drug for about 3ish years and well I didn't noticed a difference until about 2 months ago when I raised the dosage by 5mg a day. I was on other antipsychotics as well as antidepressants and stuff for bipolar disorder. I'm on 400mg injection of abilify monthly as well as 5mg pill form a day still to this day. When I raised the dosage the voices stopped. They usually come back in some environments like at work, the gym or even when I get stressed but the voices and abnormal thoughts dimmed down dramatically I feel almost normal.."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "To anyone just starting Abilify, please reconsider. I started it as an add-on to Lexapro. Initially, it helped me feel like getting out of bed in the morning with slightly more energy or a better outlook, or I just wasn't as groggy when I woke up. Initially, that was helpful & I got the Rx free or cheap, so I took it for over 2 years. When I finally realized all these new problems were connected to Abilify , it was too late... 50 lb weight gain, constant involuntarily movements of fingers, toes & tongue, mouth sores, wild, harmful actions with no conscience or regret, many more. Then the worst withdrawal symptoms.. I wished for death for months it was so awful. A year after stopping, I'm still not the same & probably never will be."

SCA0804 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 2, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I was given this medicine by a regular medical doctor in tandem with Prozac and Ambien. What a horrible combo!!!! After being on Abilify for several weeks every nerve ending in my body felt like they were on fire. I was hyper and couldn't stay seated. I found out that this medicine was burning my brain and causing Akathisia. I called my doctor and told him what was going on and he wanted to double the milligram. I said....ohhhhhhhh no your not!!!!! Because of this medicine combo things got so bad I tried suicide back in February of 2015. I took 13 sleeping pills. The hospital doctor in the psych ward said the combination I was on was wrong and he was surprised I wasn't in the hospital earlier !!!"

TJLEONG (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

For Schizophrenia "I started abilify in January of this year, 10 mg. I'm now taking 15 mg. This medication has given me back my life. No voices, no visual hallucinations. I still struggle with mild paranoia though. I can get through the day, and that's saying something!"

catchme (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2017

For Autism "My 23 year old started Abilify (add on two topamax and zoloft) she had been exhibiting some outbursts and not leaving her apartment. We only started medicating her when she developed seizures at age 14 and it has been nothing but a series of meds since. I am happy to report that Abilify has seemed to be helpful. She wants to get out more and hasn't had an outburst in months."

lowermiddleclassy August 28, 2017