User Reviews for Abilify

7.3

26 reviews
Summary of Abilify reviews 6.4 650 reviews

Reviews for Abilify

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on abilify for a diagnosis of mixed bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder following a hospitalization. I was on it for about a year . I found it helpful, and easily tolerated at first - it helped reduce hallucinations and paranoia while improving my fluctuating mood. However, even at its highest dose, it wasn’t strong enough or potent enough for me I suppose - it just didn’t match up. I continued to have some paranoia and whenever I was more upset than usual, I’d have breakthrough hallucinations. What made the docs take me off of it was the oral twitching I developed and bizarre tongue movements, which are signs of tardive dyskinesia, a rare side effect. Newer antipsychotics have less instances of this condition, but it’s still possible. Anyway, I was taken off of it and placed on another antipsychotic. Still have tongue movements though... An overall okay drug, it works for a lot of people, but not everyone!"

Sunguppy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking abilify for one to two years now and I don't feel any different. I still have panic attacks I still feel like crying and wanting to stay in bed all day. I feel scared all the time, I still feel depressed 24/7"

Kaitlynm394 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 3, 2018

For Autism "Took them for a year. Didn't really do much and the side effects outweighed the benefits. It started a pattern of new insomnia where I wake up multiple times a night so I went off of it and got really irritating and anxiety triggering dyskenesia. Over a year since I've taken them and the sleep problems have not stopped. It absolutely fried my short term memory. People are always telling me the same thing over and over again because I can't remember things anymore."

EvieFrye (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I haven't experienced any changes with this medication."

Twingirls1 February 15, 2018

For Depression "After suffering with depression for 10 years this has finally helped me. I also take wellbutrin 300mg I hated being on SSRI's cause of the weight gain and lack of sex drive which is not a problem with these drugs I'm so thankful for abilify 5mg it has given me my life back!"

Tracey 130206 February 9, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This drug did not agree with me! I got a very sore throat from it, and other cold symptoms (though not an actual cold)- worse than any cold! Psychologically, neither positive nor negative. Had to immediately discontinue and try something else."

Neuromancer (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

For Schizophrenia "Made me gain a lot of weight but also kept me stable."

Betanya (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2018

For Agitated State "I was started on this to try to help my misophonia (reaction to sounds such as dripping water, chewing, snapping gum or repetitive noises, such as pencil tapping) after Risperdal (made me feel like a zombie) and Seroquel (just knocked me out) didn't work, and I've actually been quite happy with the results. I still get irritated by people chewing gum around me, but the Abilify helps me not to dwell on the thoughts and worries about the future that cause most of my anxiety. I can move on from a bad situation in less than a minute now, rather than dwelling on it for hours at a time and thinking myself into a deep dark hole."

quarky2001 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2018

For Autism "My 7.5 yrs old son has High Functioning Autism and we had tried 10 different meds in the past almost 3 yrs with zero success. Finally tried Abilify and it has been a miracle drug. He eats like crazy but no weight gain but he is super active. He is so happy most of the time, getting great grades now, and wants to got to school. What a God send! 2mg at night"

KrisSutton (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on abilify since Sept 2017. I haven't gained weight, no side effects so far and no anxiety. This drugs helps me to focus and concentrate. It also keeps my moods stable. I take this with lithium 1200mg and seroquel 100mg for sleep. Hopefully it keeps on working."

lil eskimo (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

For Schizophrenia "My dear lovely abilify.. were should I begin? and what have you done? you feel deeply ashamed abilify.. who made you abilify? are they as poisonous as you are..? I would like to know.. because you have destroyed my health and my life.. no way back from here. Anxiety, suicidal, depression, weight gain, metabolic syndrome, confusion, apathy. I am not my myself anymore...abilify what have you done? Who made you? And why so poisonous?"

black-angel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I've suffered from Bipolar 2 and GAD and ADD for 15 yrs now. I take Lamictal, Effexor XR, Abilify and Adderall. Not until I started Abilify 3 weeks ago have I had any improvement with energy levels and depression. I have treatment resistant depression and my anxiety causes me to not be able to work and I barely want to leave the house. But since starting Abilify, I feel almost fantastic. I wake up early ready to start my day. And I've never been a morning person. I'm more positive about my life and I am even thinking about getting a job. I haven't worked in 6 years. But I do have problems staying asleep . I mean, its 3:06am and I am wide awake writing this. So yeah, restless sleep. And the sexual side effects aren't good. Total lack of interest which is difficult when you're in a relationship. But I'm not willing to stop this medication.The good far outweighs the bad in so so many ways. Good luck to all and give this med a try"

Jengar January 31, 2018

For Depression "Was good for like a month, I had energy and waking up early, after that I started gaining weight (25lbs) and got so depressed that I didn't want to go out and even suicidal. I'm off now and in less than a month lost 15lbs, I'm starting to feel better and back to taking only celexa 20mg since 6yrs ago"

Vir (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "One day and done. I've never experienced side effects like this before. I took it before bed and then was up every few hours, restless, mind racing. Finally I shot up at 4am and NEEDED to shower. While in there my head was so heavy, I couldn't stand any more. I had to rest my head. Then I got so nauseated I started to dry heave. Now I'm heavy headed, blurry, dizzy, restless, & afraid to stand up or drive. I will never take this drug again."

Youdontknowmebut January 18, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Horrific pain and stiffness in neck"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2018

For Depression "After 3 years. I'm miserable taking this drug . Worked great at first . Felt clear and awake . Now I have to stop this med . Gained a lot of weight . My breathing is difficult and I find it hard to swallow food . I have stopped breathing 3 times now . I have reflux problems and worsening anxiety. Sad because it worked so well at first :("

Shelly32 January 11, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I took it once which made a horrible experience for myself. I woke up from a nap and I had double vision, nausea, vomiting and fainted because of Abilify."

Tzwashere (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

For Depression "I am 6’4 185 pounds and had 2mg generic ABILIFY added to my 450 mg Wellbutrin. It works. I could feel the improvement within a week. I have more energy and motivation to do things. I don’t dwell on negative things as much as before. It appears that low doses of this drug are the best as an adjunct to antidepressants for depression compared to higher doses. Higher doses are better for the other indications. It does seem to be somewhat constipating for me and others have different G.I. side effects. But the benefits far outweigh any transient side effects."

LeedofNJ (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2017

For Depression "I only took this medication once. Within an hour after I took my 2mg pill (also with 20mg lexapro) at around 9-10pm, I started to feel incredibly nauseous to the point where it was almost unbearable. I went out on a short car ride with a friend and had to stop because I started vomiting right in my hands, and then I threw up for about 5 minutes on the curb, feeling super terrible. My friend was almost about to call an ambulance because I just looked that messed up. When I got dropped off at home, I still felt incredibly nauseous. I laid on the floor for 3 hours straight CONSTANTLY projectile vomiting until around 2:30am. Yes I ran out of things to throw up and had to force myself to throw up and eat to make myself feel better."

Alyssa A (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

For Depression "Used along with Prozac (Fluoxetine) helped Anorexia Nervosa symptoms."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm not sure what mental issues I have exactly, they've told me this and that over the past 15 years. I got people talking going on and seeing them. I also have anger outbursts and take things out on myself, but doesn't happen when I hear and see the people. So anyway, I tried Risperdal before from my doc and it helped me to be able to read and understand what I read, but with Abilify it's not as good, although Risperdal made me have gynecomastia big time, and Abilify doesn't cause as much prolactin. I think it's a decent medication, but the voices and seeing people are still strong and break through the veil, even the mask of the medication, so I'm not cured. But it's better than nothing I guess. But one day I may go off of it."

Boaneldhaoel December 2, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug has been a lifesaver to me. It's helped provide me with mood stability with an antidepressant effect, whereas lithium only controlled the mania part of my mood. I use this in combination with other drugs and so far there hasn't been any side effects. I tried decreasing the dosage, and within 2 days I noticed a difference in my mood. I would definitely recommend this drug. This has made a difference in my mood, the way I think, and my overall perspective. This improved my motivation to get work done, since I wouldn't be just sitting around reminiscing in a negative thought loop. It gives me mental freedom and allows me to escape brain fog that has imprisoned my thoughts. Seriously, don't be afraid to try this drug"

Josh1447 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2017

For Schizophrenia "Stop using it! I've been on it for 2 years and feel like I'm dying. I've had hives diarrhea, racing heartbeat, dilated pupils, etc hair loss, insomnia, weight loss and scared I'm for my life. It has worked well up until last two weeks. I'm aboriginal and so no cost to me."

Gap_22nd November 22, 2017

For Depression "So I went on ability about a year to two years ago and it made me gain 50lbs in less than 6 months. A lot of my depression ties into my self worth and body image issues so gaining so much weight (A long with hundreds of stretch marks) definitely damaged my self worth and thus making my depression worse. Plus I didn't feel like it made any difference in my life whether I took it or not. Worked for 2-4 weeks then quit working"

Mac80000 November 22, 2017

For Depression "I only took it once before bed. Don't remember the dosage. Woke up later sweating, heart racing, confused. I even called an ambulance. Took it as an adjunct for depression. Had the same experience with seroquel, another atypical antipsychotic. Just no good for me."

bpmabq (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017