User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 16 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 43 reviews 46 medications

5.8
Summary of Abilify reviews 503 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've had severe, reoccurring MDD for several years, aggravated by an eating disorder, self-harm, chronic insomnia, and compulsive behaviors. I've bounced around the whole SSRI; you name it, tried it. My Wellbutrin/Brintellix combo wasn't sufficient. I was exhausted, napping 2-3 hours midday, eating disorder raging, couldn't get out of bed. No motivation, flatness, etc. I've been taking 1mg Klonopin at 5:30p & bedtime, and 10mg Ambien when I go to sleep for a decade. I did NOT like Abilify. It did nothing to give me more energy or motivation. I gained 20 pounds in one month on the med, with NO SYMPTOMATIC RELIEF. Stopped after 6 wks, and have only lost 10lbs in the 6 mo, even with exercise & meal plan. Risperidol was no better. Crap drug!"

Hannah B September 19, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Several years ago I was prescribed Abilify as an add on to my Paxil 50 mg. Which I've been taking for 24 yrs for Major Depression. It was amazing. I was so happy. I became interested again in things that I used to enjoy. Unfortunately my only bad side effect was that it made me cry for absolutely no reason. I could be talking to someone about anything at all, and the tears would start. I had to stop taking it because nobody wanted to be around me anymore. My doctor has never heard of this happening with Abilify. Lucky me."

Cheerio2 September 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine at 5mg a day every day for a month was terrible. It made me have panic attacks and made me super paranoid, i was paranoid before but it made it even worse, would not recommend"

Bigboss1974 September 15, 2016

For Depression "I read these reviews for over a month before even taking these meds. I will say this, you just have to go for it. Best decision I've made in a VERY long time. Abilify has helped me in so many ways! I was at my lowest point. I was severely depressed. I've been taking this medication for over a month & hands down I feel great. Yes I still have my days but they are for sure getting better.. All I want to say is do NOT let what other people say stop you from getting better. Try it for at least 6 wks & judge for yourself. At this point weight gain is welcomed for me. I lost so much weight I'd like to gain at least 30 lol. I am just happy to feel "NORMAL" again. I hope all of you get better. Stay Strong & never give up. Stay Blessed "

Regina September 7, 2016

For Depression "I started taking Abilify about 4 weeks ago. I am bi-polar. Of course the highs are great and the lows, well you know. My doctor thought that this would cause me to level out the highs and lows. Not such a bad idea but I think (no way of knowing for sure) this medication has caused me to go down gradually. Seems like it eliminated the high altogether and caused me to drift into a moderate low. Unlike before taking this med, I am able to still function somewhat better than full blown depression. Right now I feel pretty poorly with anxiety and depression. I have thought about stopping this medication and after reading some of these experiences, I've decided to stop this medication (5 mg) today and see what happens. I still take Lamotrigine."

Fritzibear September 4, 2016

For Schizophrenia "i was on the verge of disaster, my psychiatrist introduced aripiprazole 10 mg with least dosage. in the beginning i faced stomach problems which ended in a month time. the best result i received only after 4 months usage"

simsimland (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2016

For Depression "I just started taking Abilify for my second go around. It's been about a week and reading these posts is making me recollect all of the effects the medication had on me last year. On top of things going maniacal with my best friend and husband I had to deal with weight gain, twitching and a terrible shallow attitude burst out (hence the maniacal matrimony). But I felt so much more focused, happy'ish (laughing more but the not reaching my eyes type) and more energy, less lethargy. After being so sluggish and down and gray and tired for years this was a temporary battle of conscience in deciding whether or not to continue taking the medication. I gained about 50 lbs within 2 months on 4mg day. I twitched all through the night for mos."

shemerci (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "After trying over 5 medications (Lithium, welburtin, on, on,) I thought nothing would work and got into a really bad depressive episode not leaving house for months at time and thinking of just ending it all. Than finally heard of Abilify and it saved me. I am now up early, open blinds, smile, do things, laugh and im only on my second week. I am at 10 mg day and have No side effects, nothing but happiness. This medication saved my life, because after years of trying other non responsive medications I thought I couldnt live like that no more. Abilify is all i take but I heard you can add zoloft to it for a even better effect on depression and bipolar. I hope everyone find happiness and the sun shines for you. peace and love"

Thesunwillshine August 31, 2016

For Depression "I've been taking Venlafaxine (Effexor) for about 5 years for depression and anxiety but my doseage had to be increased by my psychiatrist a few times. He suggested I try 2 mg. of Arpiprazole (Abilify) for a couple of months. I've been very pleased with the results. I find I have more energy and I'm able to complete tasks without procrastinating. My thoughts have become much more positive and I don't fly off the handle the way I used to. Negatives are waking through the night ever hour on the hour and I'm not the night owl I used to be which is probably a good thing. No weight gain either. Reading the other stories, I can see many people have side effects so I can't recommend it but It could also turn your life around."

Don't have one (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was first put on abilify in 2004. It is very effective, and has been the most useful medication for me. I have developed gallstones, have a fatty liver and have high triglycerides. It is definitely not because of my diet. I was a vegan for 23 years and I am very strict with what I eat. I now have to get my gallbladder removed and I think it has to do with taking psychiatric drugs over the years. It is well noted now that abilify causes gallstones, a fatty liver and high triglycerides. I have been in constant pain for three months and just now, after 12 years of taking abilify, may discontinue the use and start something new. Overall, for the mood disorder this was highly effective and useful in treating my bipolar depression."

PostmodernistCupie August 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Just 5 mg made me blow up like a balloon. It increased my anxiety and I experienced blurry vision. It may work for some, but not for me."

DisorderJoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Not the drug for me. It made me very jittery. Restless legs +++."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I take abilify 15mg for voices and a mood stabilizer. I take it in the form of an injection and I've been on it for 7 months. It has dulled the voices drastically and stopped my severe mania. I am now able to think logically and the constant brain fog that I was suffering from has been lifted.I gave it 9 out of 10 because I still suffer from depression related to my ptsd. I currently am taking 20mg of Fluoxetine for my severe anxiety and depression.The only side effects I had from abilify was seeing faint flashes in the dark and slight tongue tremors. Other than that ablilify has worked wonders for me . I no longer experience mania and I am so grateful because I was extremely wild when I was manic."

TheLoneGirl August 14, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking Abilify for 10 yrs.I started when I was 16 yrsold after mental breakdown &going to be 26 yrsold on Oct. I never went over 15 mg. I'm currently taking 2.5 mg & I find it quite effective. I did gain some weight 15lb at the beginning but your mental health is very important. If you want to keep healthy and not gain weight while taking Abilify just eat healthy and hit the gym. I'm 5'6, have a curvy/slim toned body and I take Abilify and I feel great with my body. I'm 145lbs with muscle weight and I'm quite happy, im planning on some abs, thus Abilify hasn't stopped me. It's all in your head. Honestly this medication works well for me & I don't think its the major reason for weight gain. Always consult with your physiatrist"

NoAmmmiMag (taken for 10 years or more) August 10, 2016

For Depression "I was on abilify for 18 months and packed on 80lbs and discontinued it, It made me feel very flat and very tired, my doctor said it was weight neutral but it definitely isn't. Seroquel also made me gain but am on respiridrone now and though I have gained a little it's not as bad as the others. Abilify didn't help my delusions at all and I felt quite depressed on it. I quit it cold turkey and lost 6stone in 7 months but then became ill again. My biggest weight gains were always after I had been out and had a few drinks! Glad to be off it and might look into trying latuda"

Hells bells August 6, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This med sucks, anxiety level went up. Couldn't sleep couldn't concentrate. Can't spend quality time with my son. Yet to find the miracle drug."

Jburn101 August 6, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "My diagnosis Panic Disorder. But I struggle with anxiety, depression, ADHD and BPD as well. I've taken tons of medications to deal with my disorders. After being hospitalized for a suicide attempt, I was prescribed Wellbutrin first, which helped with suicidal tendencies. Then I was put on Lamictal (which I would also give a 10 star rating to). It made my anxiety and panic attacks vanish. However, I still felt empty. Like I had no purpose. My doctor finally put me on a low dose of Abilify. It helped, so much. It made a world of a difference in my life. I am SCARED to die now, when before I only wished I'd die. I take 15 mg now and it is amazing. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't had luck with traditional antidepressants."

NicoleB1234 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2016

For Depression "I am 18 years old. I've been taking abilify for almost two months and it has seriously messed me up. I have anxiety and depression. The only slight improvement I've seen is in my ability to interact socially. Otherwise, I feel awful. I either feel like a complete zombie, or I feel crazy and obsessive. My boyfriend is scared of me because I've become so out of character, and a jealous monster. I quit cold turkey and feel better than I have since I started taking it. Would not recommend."

Ihatemeds123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2016

For Depression "I literally started abilify YESTERDAY and it triggered my Zpots Syndrome (fainting) and I threw up. The paramedics came and they all thought it was most likely from starting abilify."

Ashcash (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

For Depression "I started taking Abilify to compliment years of taking Effexor. I am on 5 mg, and am experiencing many of the symptoms I am reading about here - weight gain, feelings of emptiness, and craving for sweets. The good part of it is all the depressing and worrisome voices are out of my head. The bad thing is the emptiness, but I figure I should filling that void with good things - hobbies, music, more quality time with my beautiful wife. Maybe that's the healing, not the pill."

M_Raghavan July 25, 2016

For Depression "I can leave my home and run errands without freaking out or sitting in the parking lot waiting for my husband or kids to drive me home."

Anonymous July 21, 2016

For Schizophrenia "I cannot imagine why I stood so long time on it! I stood on Abilify at 3 years time and 2 months. My problem with abilify was that my bloodsugar level increased and I became extremely Hungry all the time. If you have bad bloodsugar you need to eat often. And on everyrhing. I even gained weight on the slightest. The only positive was that I was not psychotic on it and my dreams when I was sleeping was OK! But Abilify affected my personality, I was not ME on it.. I was like somebody else but I do not know who! Abilify serve only 2 of 10."

jerko (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2016

For Depression "This is one dangerous drug as for me it made me feel half dead to me and the world around me it made my depression even worse and anxiety really bad to the point I was unable to do the things I wanted to enjoy. Was unable to settle..It put me in a dark place and gave me really bad dreams and good luck if on it more than 6months to come off, may the force be with you, it's a horrific experience so please keep clear!"

Wired up July 18, 2016

For Schizophrenia "I gained 60 pounds and had to go off of it because of that, it also made me tired and have panic attacks"

you can call me kitten July 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "10 months on 5mg abilify + wellbutrin and lithium. Gained 15-18 pounds. Found out this week that Abilify causes weight gain and it's the culprit - not an injury I'd been blaming it on. And I'd blamed myself and started "disordered eating" out of desperation. It gets rid of my mood swings and crying for no reason. I feel generally good except foggy while at work where I do not enjoy being. Unmotivated at work. Moderately motivated in personal life - better than in years. Absolutely quitting this drug. Now for the withdrawal I wasn't aware of when I decided to take it... I think this is a dangerous drug for anyone who is prone to weight gain or diabetes. Can't believe my pdoc didn't say anything when I complained about weight gain last time."

Slynnns (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2016