User Reviews for Abilify

Bipolar Disorder
5.7

Summary of Abilify reviews 6.3 710 reviews

Reviews for Abilify

For Major Depressive Disorder "Well I started this medication 2 weeks ago and I’m pretty sure I had a 10 day mental breakdown from it. Really dark thoughts, extreme depression, delusion thinking, I thought I was losing my mind to be honest. Finally stopped it and am feeling 100% better."

Halfbreed (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2019

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Being on Abilify was the very worst experience. It made me feel worse. This medication also did the same thing to another patient at the health facility I was at. A BIG ZERO!"

Beelershelby June 10, 2019

For Agitated State "On this drug I get anger and agitation. Going to go on something else instead can't bear it"

Toe (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2019

For Depression "I started Abilify approximately 6 weeks ago , 2 mg. I had finally found a drug to help me, I was happy, busy, catching up on things I had let go. Then I noticed my legs were very weak, I thought I was anemic again, or was it a statin for my cholesterol (so) I had to see my neurologist for dystonia, I told him about my legs, he had me do different motions with arms and legs, and told me to get off of this Abilify, it had affected the Dopamine in my brain, which has caused Parkinsonism and will last 6 months to 1 and a 1/2 years. When I walk I’m exhausted and when I can I use a scooter. I’m so sad and upset this medicine worked, but very bad side affect."

Melly (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2019

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I got akithesia (intense agitation/restlessness) on the lowest dose of this drug!!! Was horrible do not recommend if you are prone to akithesia"

Akithesia (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2019

For Depression "I've only been taking Abilify ( added to Venaflaxine) for 16 days, but I LOVE it. I can't believe the difference it's made to my depression. I haven't felt this normal in YEARS!!! I'm actually happy again, I want to get out of bed and start my day, I want to do things instead of just lay in bed all the time. Obviously everyone reacts to medication differently but my appetite is actually less. I am losing weight. I actually go to sleep at night, now I only need 5-6 hours of sleep and I'm good to go, ready to start the day. Maybe this is why I sleep at night now. Lol! I don't know and I don't care I'm just so happy my doctor recommended this medication. I hope things don't change. I don't have insurance but with coupon was only $30."

Happy (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on this for over 3 years. To start with I thought it was working, the last year I had a racing head and high anxiety. Was discharged from psych so had to fight to get seen again to change medication. Realised a few months after coming off it that my finances had changed shortly after starting Abilify and not in a good way. I was never in debt before Abilify. I am 37 too. I’m in a lot of debt because of Abilify because I started taking out loans shortly after starting it amongst other things. Have since read that the FDA made the manufacturing company to list compulsive shopping, compulsive gambling and other excessive behaviours etc as a side effect in May 2016. I started it in August 2015 so was unaware when I researched this medication when I first went on it. No Dr made me aware of this side effect at any point. Please note I have been manic prior to this medication and had never taken out credit or borrowed money."

Jules (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2019

For Depression "On Abilify I felt great (on it for depression) for about one month then began feeling blah. About 6 weeks in I felt very restless. I was afraid to have any downtime at work because it made me feel crazy. I don’t feel like myself any more. Weaning off currently. Only ever took 2.5 at the highest dose."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I have a mood disorder and an anxiety disorder. I’ve been taking Zoloft for ~3 years, and although it helped with anxiety, it didn’t touch my intense mood swings. After a very bad mood swing that almost broke up my 7 year relationship, I sought help. My psychiatrist put me on Lamictal first, and it gave me hives. Then we tried trileptal, and the GI side effects were unbearable after 2 weeks. Finally she put me on Abilify and so far it has been great. I’ve been on 2 mg of Abilify (with 50 mg Zoloft) for a week and there have been almost no side effects. I was warned there might be dry mouth or excessive sweating but I’ve been fine. It did cause me to wake up 7-8 times during the night, but I switched to taking it in the morning and now I sleep like a baby again! It has only been a week but I’m starting to feel a difference: I have more energy and I feel more in control of my moods "

Baby Steps (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2019

For Depression "On Abilify I felt great for about one month then began feeling blah. About 6 weeks in I felt very restless. I was afraid to have any downtime at work because it made me feel crazy. I don’t feel like myself any more. Weaning off currently. Only ever took 2.5 at the highest dose."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2019

For Schizophrenia "When I was 24 years old out of nowhere I started having Schizoprhenia symptoms. I believed incredible grandiose religious delusions, believed my television sets had cameras in them and believed when people coughed or made sounds they were mocking me subliminally. I didn't receive treatment until the age of 30 and was working full time but getting myself in wreckless situations. After I lost everything I have besides my awesome family, I was put on a Community Treatment Order (CTO) and after 4 months on Invega I was extremely suicidal and thought I'd never regain my normal life. If there is one thing I have learned about meds it's that they take a lot longer to work than you think. I have been on 10 mg of abilify for approximately six months and for the entire duration I would have intrusive thought and random urges, then finally going into the sixth month the side effects are really starting to subside and I'm starting to fully regain my emotions and not be afraid of people."

Rocky blvd (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Terrible experience. Started on 4 mg then the next day I couldn’t stop puking, had dangerously low blood pressure, and they couldn’t feel a pulse. I’m 19 and this is a relatively low dose to start on. I really think this medicine needs to be recalled because it is so dangerous. I would NOT recommend this drug"

Bipolarguy (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Abilify works well for my bipolar, it really helped with my reaction to stimulus."

Distopia (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2019

For Schizophrenia "My father was taking this drug because the pharmacy had a shortage of navane. This drug caused him to have a mental breakdown which caused him to have to be admitted into the psychiatric division of a hospital. His schizphrenia is much worse on abilify and it fails to treat the symptoms of his disorder."

pete (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2019

For Depression "TERRIBLE. Completely horrifying. Quit taking it months ago and am much better without it in my life."

Nope2953 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Caused extreme hysterical sobbing and suicidal-level depression after only 3 doses. I had to be hospitalized via ambulance, and spent an additional 2 days sobbing in my hospital room with the curtains closed. I’ve had bipolar II for 22 years, and this was, without a doubt, the most nightmarish emotional experience I have ever had."

seismicone (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Of all the conditions this medication treats it seems that the lowest reviews come from people, like myself, who have bipolar disorder. I came to this site to read other reviews to see if what I’ve been feeling was somehow related to Abilify. I’m glad I read some of the reviews because now I don’t feel as crazy. My new psychiatrist was so confident that this medication would work that I’ve been convincing myself to ignore the things that were off but now it’s just unbearable. I am naturally very emotional and before this medication I absolutely hated it but now that I basically feel emotionless I want off of this medication. I’m envious of how this has been a miracle drug for a lot of people but for me it’s been fogginess, no appetite and just a general feeling “blah”. I also stumble over my words a lot and my creativity feels stifled by it. I’m calling my psychiatrist tomorrow and getting off of this stuff."

Unnerved (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2019

For Depression "I was prescribed Abilify for depression/bipolar disorder and after taking it for only 3 days I had some of THE WORST side effects I have ever experienced on a medication. Muscle spasms, inability to fall asleep or stay asleep, complete loss of appetite, stomach pain, pain in joints and muscles, full body ache, extremely intense manic episodes, heart racing, anxiety, shaky hands, and feeling extremely foggy and unable to form proper sentences or think critically. This is the worst drug I've ever tried. If you have depression, just stick to SSRIs."

Gabrielle (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2019

For Depression "Life changer for me. I am using 2mg of Generic Abilify with 450mg Wellbuterin and 40mg Prozac. I suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI) 12 years ago and my thought process has a major improvement sine being on these. I gained 8lbs but could be from increasing of Prozac from 20mg to 40mg given same time as Abilify."

Kwood (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "After complete hesitation of taking Abilify added on with Lexapro I tried it and WOW it worked wonders I came out of a suicidal state within few days and I’ve lived a normal few weeks. I’m not saying that this is completely over with but I feel so much better I’ve had zero side effects from it and I am on 5 mg I was hesitant to take any kind of drug add it onto an antidepressant already but it is well worth it and I feel so much better already"

Kristy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2019

For Depression "My psychiatrist put me on 1 mg of Abilify about two months ago, hoping it would augment the Paxil (paroxotine) I've been taking for 20+ years, and which is no longer effective. My mood almost immediately improved, but unfortunately, Abilify makes me feel restless, irritable and fatigued, as well as slightly hypomanic."

Lizzie G. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2019

For Depression "I was on Abilify for 4 months. I was on only 2mg. Gained 17lbs after 2 months. Had an enormous appetite, always hungry even an hour after eating. Really did nothing for me. And I am still trying to get this weight off."

lakegirl March 23, 2019

For Autism "Son started taking 2mg abilify in Nov and it did great. Helped with his emotional instability. Around Jan-Feb, I noticed that his behavior is back to pre-medication. He’s emotional, crying at everything, and developed aggression. Going to ween him off and find and different medication."

Kaya (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2019

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This stuff is awful . Shame on the doctors selling it. Don't take this med at any cost."

timmy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2019

For Depression "I cannot express how much Abilify has already changed my life and it has only been a week. I feel reborn. Before being prescribed this med I felt hopeless, depressed, and my anxiety was terrible. I thought I could never be happy, but I already feel like a new person. I see sunshine and look at life totally different."

Liv March 11, 2019