User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 17 reviews 7 medications

Bipolar Disorder 187 reviews 33 medications

5.9
Summary of Abilify reviews 543 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Abilify

For Depression "I have been treated with situational depression that turned to a chemical imbalance and have tried just about every SSRI/ SNRI out there. I was on Cymbalta 60mg alone for several years and even with ability 2mg but it wasn't until I tried cymbalta 60mg with Abilify 5 mg that I saw real results I have more energy than I have had in several years, my anxiety and social anxiety levels have diminished to almost non existent. I don't seem to have any side effects from the Abilify. Hope some of you try my advice."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Did nothing for my delusions and hearing voices. It only made me twitchy, unable to sleep, agitated and gave me extreme tremor. On only 5 mg. I much prefer olanzapine, more effective with milder side effects."

BabygirlXOXO February 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I`ve dealt with profound depression most of my adult life. I`ve gone the gamut of most antidepressants with varying degrees of success. Most, even the very useful, usually lose potency after a few yearsl Out of desperation, my physician prescribed a small dose of 2 mg of Abilify in conjunction with Wellbutrin. Within a few days, my energy levels skyrocketed and my mood greatly improved. Even though I`m concerned about the many side effects, I plan on staying with it while it still helps."

JC 69 February 9, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I am very happy with Abilify. I have been on it with Lexapro and klonopin and I am feeling much better than I was. I can make firm decisions. As a matter of fact I bought my first home at 58. I take care of my own finances and for the most part I am very pleased with my adulthood. I am a wonderful grandma and my babies love me. It is awesome to be me. I feel free and "human ". I am blessed!!!!"

Noblee (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "First I was afraid to start on this drug, I tried respiredone it was horrible - I had nightmares and fatigue, and I felt verry foggy. Doctor put me on abilify 2.5 mg in addition to effexor 300mg it works very well it gave me stability never been stable for long, no ups and downs it made my days better and really lift my mood! When I tried to stop I went into anxiety and depression so now I decide to go back on it. It really worth trying! No side affects except little fatigue. Life savior. No mood swings"

Deealt February 5, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I've left an experience description on this site, on July 1, 2016. On the plus side, I'm still calm, socially acceptable, void of psychosis, anger, am kinder and gentler. But I've and continue to do so, developed anxiety. It is accompanied by a strong depression. The quality of my life has taken a turn for the worse for the last two months or so. And it is constantly getting worse. Today I took half a tablet of Clonazepam, as suggested and prescribed by my psychiatrist for exactly this reason. Anxiety, panic. And it helped!! But I resent to have to take a pill for such deeply disturbing and serious a side effect. Especially one such pill that is potentially extremely habit-forming, tolerance-developing, and dependence-training."

KarinthyFrigyes (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I've suffered depression from 35 years. It started situational then was magnified by an intense traumatic brain injury in 2010. I've tried every AD on market. I had horrible side effects, trouble tapering down, and really no relief. On Abilify, no weight gain. No spaciness. No dilated pupils. This drug works. Even through a death 12/30 & husband Dxed BiP over Xmas. I'm not taking any other AD. 1mg. Plus Klonopin."

Sun Moon & Stars (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "Total Mania, could not sleep, monitored sleep showed never in REM sleep at all over an 8 hour period. Anxious, increased Resp Rate, wide awake, no hunger, racking thoughts. Unable to finally function at job related to no sleep. This drug is horrid!"

Manic now January 13, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have taken Abilify for 11 years now and although it worked wonders at 1st, I have developed a rather severe case of tardive dyskinesia which makes sitting still almost impossible. I believe that after this length of time of taking it it is losing its efficacy. The parkinsonian like symptoms of the tardive dyskinesia are also embarrassing and make simple things like typing on my phone difficult. It definitely helped with my violent tendencies. Still I am ready to look for an alternative second-generation antipsychotic."

Janeykins (taken for 10 years or more) December 30, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "Diabetes, thoughts of self-destruction , compulsive behavior,no energy, etc"

Edward Hanley December 23, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I was in a deep depression about a year ago. I was taking Lexepro and Ativan. I saw very little improvement after five months. My doctor added 2mg of Abilify. Within two days, the clouds had lifted. The worrying started to dissipate. I was able to think clearer with each passing day. I did notice a weight gain, but my doctor said this was because I was feeling better. I dropped the Abilify after about six months. My advice is to stay with it. As with most drugs, you start to feel better and don't need it any more. Wrong. Circumstances come up and you are in the pits again. I started back on Abilify last night."

JFW61 December 21, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "It's work wonderfully but it's extremely expensive if you don't have great insurance."

Raven8721 December 19, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Abilify served me well over a two month period. Of all of the antidepressants that I have taken over the past 20 years, I would give Abilify the highest rating. However, one of its potential side effects can be significantly increased blood glucose levels in some Type 1 diabetics. Unfortunately I was one of these and I was never able to control these levels within an acceptable range and I had to discontinue Abilify as a result. These statements should be taken with caution since I was only able to take the drug for 8 weeks. I noted no other serious side-effects. I do suffer from ED but this is as much a result of 40 years of Type 1 diabetes as of any other factor."

StephenT (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Agitated State "I started this just a week ago for severe anxiety brought on by some recent experiences I had. In the 13 years I've been seeing my psychiatrist I've never had such panic. He immediately asked me a couple of questions, knowing me very well, and then prescribed the lowest dose. I was hesitant but couldn't see any other option than I give this a try! WOW! For the first time in about a month I feel more "normal"! The anxiety is just about gone, I am functioning again and no side effects that I can detect and I am a lightweight with meds!"

MsMaggieMia2 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Autism "At age 9 I was put on a low dose ( 2 MG if i remember correctly ) and continued to take take until i was 16 1/2 (almost 17) having had most of my problems figured out and looking at trying to live without it. over those years I went from 2 MG a day to 5 MG a day, and then at its worst 7 MG a day. almost 19 now (and after having to get medical help for not being able to hit puberty (unrelated, we checked)) I am looking at taking it again to help with the stress of the work environment. (as a side note; I have a weird middle ground of Asperger's and High functioning autisim)"

Anon03 December 6, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "Been on Abilify for 7 weeks now, starting at 5mg and increasing to 10mg 2 weeks ago. Worked within a day or 2 in that I could function again and has continued to mostly inmprove my depression although I do still have bad days I think this is a great drug"

Karen654 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizophrenia "Taken ablify for over 8 months, gradually put on 20 lbs or so. Better than Seroquel Xr for weight gain and hunger pangs."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Agitated State "It did lots of bad things to me. Increased anger . sometimes when upset just pick up a mug and smash it. Could not control it. Also was violent with some one at least twice. Kicked a hole in the wall in hospital . jumped out of moving car. Found it hard to stay in one spot for long . probably had akathisia."

anonymouse no name (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder "2.5 mg Abilify and 50 mg Sertraline are magic combinations for my depression. other SSRI and monotherapy of Sertraline don't work but my psychiatrist adds 2.5 mg Abilify and now I can smile again!"

Dannyss December 1, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I take generic Cymbalta and have for 2 years. One day it just sucked, I was like really down, depressed and living like a hermit. I have been taking 10 milligrams of Abilify on top of the cymbalta 60 milligrams and so far I actually feel normal for the first time in my life. I am now smiling and going out , looking forward to fresh air and conversation again. Thank you Abilify, I am now getting back to life."

Somoa73 November 29, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "Been on abilify for 4 months and had to go off. It's a great medicine for bipolar. I could tell when I missed a dose because I would flip out. The down fall on why I went off was the weight gain. I gained 30 pounds in 3 months with just snacking. Dr told me it slows the metabolism down. I think it stopped it. So give it a try."

Feefee40215 November 28, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "Been on many antidepressants with little or no relief of symptoms. Was currently on cymbalta with little relief and asked my doctor about Abilify was prescribed 5 MG within a week I felt like myself again. I rarely left my house for two years. I have visited family, even able to go to public places ."

DebCD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder "On the 2 0r 2.5 mg as an add on to Trintellix. Definite noticeable improvement on mood and energy. No weight gain. The effects seem to be intermittent, so I'm hopeful my dosage will be increased on the next visit to my P-doc. It shows potential of being a life changer for the positive. I think an up to 5 mg may do the trick :) Great there is a $4 generic for my insurance."

Hopeful MDD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder "this was a terrible drug for me. I can't tell you any physical side affect because I stopped taking it immediately after a week. This drug made me scared to go to work. Every time I get ready for work this incredible fear about going to work would possess me. I would call my job and tell them am sick when I was actually afraid. I would have my aunt call my job for me to call out because I was afraid. I would try to bring courage to go to work but the closer I was to work the worse the fear would be. I called out 4 times in a row. I almost got fired. when I stopped taking it, it all went away."

eliasadc (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizophrenia "At first i didnt like it but it helped. 60-90 days into the medication i was 100% me again. Thanks abilify"

GonePotso November 15, 2016