User Reviews for Abilify (Page 3)

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 16 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 43 reviews 46 medications

5.8
Summary of Abilify reviews 503 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

For Depression "I was told by my doctor that I might gain weight. He said that the signal in the brain that says, "Thank you, I've had enough!" which is what I always go by, and it keeps my weight steady, is DELAYED. It's TRUE. he says portion control is the key. We shall see. I'm trying but I've already gained about three pounds and notice that I eat way more. I'll let you know if I get a handle on it. The drug is THE one added to my cocktail that made the difference."

Barbay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I developed severe akathisia (restlessness) while taking this medication. I had a difficult time sitting in one place for more than a few minutes and it was absolutely exhausting. I also developed insomnia and TD (tardive dyskinesia) and altogether I would say this medication was very difficult to tolerate. I was happy to be taken off of it."

Nicky890 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Abilify is the only antipsychotic that works for me. The extreme hunger, lethargy, restlessness, and memory problems I had on other antipsychotics are nonexistent with abilify. I was in the middle of a severe depressive episode when I took it and it only took several weeks for me to be back to normal functioning. I sleep better, have more energy, and fewer mood swings. This medication is great. I find that it is more "activating" while other drugs in the same class like Zyprexa are more "tranquilizing.""

NHelm (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

For Agitated State "I'm taking abilify with an antidepressant to stabilize my mood. It just makes me shakey and agitated. Before Abilify my mood would be up and down. But now I'm just down and agitated all the time."

Aries100 April 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "It worked so well for me, except for the weight gain. It worked perfectly for my mood accept that within the first 2 months I was on it I gained about 20 pounds. I kept on it because it worked so well and we played around with some other Meds that might have balanced it out but it was just not worth it, I ended up gaining about 30-40 pounds from the whole thing and I am a rather small person. I am now on Lamotrigine and it works perfectly. In all it worked out pretty well, just had some unpleasant side affects for me."

Sasha1234 March 26, 2016

For Schizophrenia "Within 1 week of taking 1 tablet , my auditory hallucinations had nearly disappeared and then increased the amount to 1 1/2 tablets and was and am amazed this product. Its giving me my life back again......"

Anonymous March 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication though helped...it was not worth the weight gain..it really wasn't. I took it a while back and it was not worth it. I also found that it made me feel a little suicidal."

Not Worth The Energy. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Tolerated 5mg so was bumped up to 10, tolerated that and was bumped up to 15. AT this point, I'm so confused and disoriented by the Abilify that I can't tell the difference between real life and the fever dreams it gives me."

vitalis644 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine has done so much for me. I've had horrible "mood swings" for years and they just kept getting worse. I would also cry myself to sleep every night for years and years. I always felt irritated and annoyed with everything. I would yell and scream, get hyper and crash into a pile on the floor, be suicidal one minute and happy the next. I was all over the place. This medicine has done so much for me."

Kome (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2016

For Depression "On 2 mg. It made me feel empty inside. Like things didn't bring excitement, adrenaline. Everything seemed blank. Had major sweet cravings for the first month or two but it leveled off. The most sweet cravings were at 5 mg a day. Really brought reality into full focus. Got it a pharmacy that use a different supplier that's cheaper."

Louann pouvie February 29, 2016

For Depression "Our 12 year old son was having terrible anxiety and could not get along with anyone at school. He did not trust anyone and would not listen to anyone either. He suggested suicide more than once but thankfully never went through with it. We regularly saw a therapist but would not listen. We reluctantly decided to add the smallest dose of abilify to his depression medicine. In approximately 2 days we saw an immediate change. He seems more "balanced" and the anxiety level down significantly. It has only been 2 weeks....but so far so good."

jwjbs February 27, 2016

For Depression "Night and day positive effect"

Afortg (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Horrible side effects. Triggered a depressive episode and could not sit or stand still at all when on this med. Just rocked back and forth. Hated it."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine made me so sick. Every single night I took it (which was only 5 nights cause I was that sick) I was up tossing and turning, sweating meanwhile it was 5 degrees out, severe dry mouth - to the point I could barely talk, throwing up & severe head aches."

Rencapo February 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug is horrendous. I spent a week in a psychiatric ward the year I was twenty, and they titrated it up to ten milligrams by the time I was let out. I was a complete zombie, exhausted all the time - could fall asleep anywhere, any time of the day - so anxious that I had to keep moving my body to function. Kept crossing and uncrossing my legs, wringing my hands, etc. I was so numbed out I simply didn't enjoy life. I don't know how I managed to not kill myself. This thing will wreck you."

MakaMovingOn February 5, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Having increased hallucinations and paranoia, and feeling isolated. this is making it hard to get out with people, and I have been on 10mg. Good things are I am feeling more active in general, taking better care of myself. Not too happy with the amount of voices that occur when on this med. It has made me more hungry, and restless."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Whilst taking Abilify,I had terrible insomnia. I never slept for more than 2 hours at a time. I reached te stage where I slept wherever I felt sleepy. I never slept in bed for the 6 months I took this horrible drug. I gained a lot of weight, probably due to the lack of sleep. Should have stopped sooner."

lngrhm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

For Autism "My 18 year old son has been on 2 mg for 15 months; he was never aggressive, but got irritable after our divorce, he started having issues puking with anxiety. He continues to have issues with repeated vomiting. He has not gained weight and I am now thinking that is because he vomits so much. :("

JaxMomma (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

For Depression "I started on this medication just 3 days ago at 2 mg. In conjunction with celexa 40 mg and 90 mg cymbalta. I have noticed some mild nausea but nothing else yet. To the 12 yr old girl, my doctor and pharmacy said this medication abilify should not be taken by anyone under 18 years."

Parkerbelle January 18, 2016

For Depression "I started this medication when I was about 11 or 12 and took it for 6 months. It made me so anxious and so restless I remember having to get up in the middle of class several times to get a drink of water to try and stop my anxiety. I had several episodes of this and always felt that I had to be moving. Maybe I was too young to be on the medicine though..."

JBrown92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Took care of the positive effects of schizo and most of the negative ones. Gave me medicine induced akathisia, which I take propranolol for. That is the only reason I gave 8/10"

MDizzle January 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I am a 48 year-old woman who has had bipolar I disorder since I was 12. It hit me severely and I have had a very difficult time with it. During one of the latest bouts I tried Abilify at 2 mg and definitely felt a bump up in my mood. I was so so excited and totally would've stayed on it except my appetite increased to such a degree that I immediately started gaining weight. Food was like crack - it became utterly and completely addictive. I could not stop eating! I would try and control it for a few days but I was utterly and totally unable to stop. An improvement in mood was worth 10 pounds but at 13 pounds in 8 weeks and no stopping I had to stop. Super disappointed. It is the only medication where I felt immediate relief."

Elizabeth29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2016

For Depression "I've been suffering with dibilitating depression, anxiety, and OCD for over 20 years. I've was in remission for 8 years, but this time it came back with a vengeance! I was really losing hope. I have tried every single antidep out there, and the ones that worked very well before, don't work anymore. I've been on a roller coaster and fighting for over 7 years to get my life back. It's been a living hell. I could hardly get out of bed, taking a shower was too much, even putting my seatbelt on seemed like a chore. If you have ever suffered, you know what I'm talking about! I was put on Abilify to help with my Effexor just three days ago and I already feel like I can conquer the world...I just pray it lasts! "

TexasSunshine January 10, 2016

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "My son was started on abilify after 11 years on zyprexa. First he was zombie like and now a year later he is paranoid, delutional and a lot of cognitive deficits .Worst drug ever!!!!"

kittygiggles January 4, 2016

For Depression "This medication is amazing, but after 2 months I gained 20lbs. :/"

Cheraldi (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015