User Reviews for Abilify (Page 3)

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 19 reviews 7 medications

Bipolar Disorder 198 reviews 28 medications

5.9
Summary of Abilify reviews 574 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

For Depression "I take generic Cymbalta and have for 2 years. One day it just sucked, I was like really down, depressed and living like a hermit. I have been taking 10 milligrams of Abilify on top of the cymbalta 60 milligrams and so far I actually feel normal for the first time in my life. I am now smiling and going out , looking forward to fresh air and conversation again. Thank you Abilify, I am now getting back to life."

Somoa73 November 29, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Been on abilify for 4 months and had to go off. It's a great medicine for bipolar. I could tell when I missed a dose because I would flip out. The down fall on why I went off was the weight gain. I gained 30 pounds in 3 months with just snacking. Dr told me it slows the metabolism down. I think it stopped it. So give it a try."

Feefee40215 November 28, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Been on many antidepressants with little or no relief of symptoms. Was currently on cymbalta with little relief and asked my doctor about Abilify was prescribed 5 MG within a week I felt like myself again. I rarely left my house for two years. I have visited family, even able to go to public places ."

DebCD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "On the 2 0r 2.5 mg as an add on to Trintellix. Definite noticeable improvement on mood and energy. No weight gain. The effects seem to be intermittent, so I'm hopeful my dosage will be increased on the next visit to my P-doc. It shows potential of being a life changer for the positive. I think an up to 5 mg may do the trick :) Great there is a $4 generic for my insurance."

Hopeful MDD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "this was a terrible drug for me. I can't tell you any physical side affect because I stopped taking it immediately after a week. This drug made me scared to go to work. Every time I get ready for work this incredible fear about going to work would possess me. I would call my job and tell them am sick when I was actually afraid. I would have my aunt call my job for me to call out because I was afraid. I would try to bring courage to go to work but the closer I was to work the worse the fear would be. I called out 4 times in a row. I almost got fired. when I stopped taking it, it all went away."

eliasadc (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "At first i didnt like it but it helped. 60-90 days into the medication i was 100% me again. Thanks abilify"

GonePotso November 15, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "i have very mixed feelings about this medication. i was given this for mood stability about a year before i was diagnosed bipolar. it worked really fast. my mood was very stable. but at what cost? It started out with slurred speech and constant drowsiness. eventually that faded away and then it turned into perhaps the worst thing I've ever had to deal with called internalised restlessness. It is also called akathsia. If I die and go to hell, it would be to the land of akathsia. I recommend this drug if you're lucky enough to not experience akathsia. it works really fast. they tried to prescribe me congentin to help, it barely did."

dogy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "This is one of the nastiest drugs i taken for bp. It gave me major depression,major anxiety,restlessness, and major mood swings. I wouldnt recommend this drug to my worse enemy."

Bmz (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Been on Abilify for 8 years. It completely removed my delusional thinking patterns at just 5mg and at 10mg it resolved a mania psychosis, and helped me get my life back on track. Only side effects were insomnia (which I took Imozop for) for when I initially began taking it, but 2-3 weeks after trial I was side-effect free."

Sal_j (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Worked very well for me ! Had no problems and it definitely made a huge improvement"

Butterfly2009 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Agitated State "After going off of this medication and switching to a less expensive one, I became so fuzzy headed and unclear. It was horrible. Once I went back on it, it took about four weeks for it to start working again. Finally I started seeing things more clearly and things were getting easier to sort out for me. This is my miracle drug. If you have anxiety or any kind of fear, I would recommend this med."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "I had asked my doc to change my medicine from Loxapine to something else that would allow me to get back to my baseline weight. In 3 months, didn't see any movement towards my baseline weight. I have been exercising (weights + cardio) for 1.5-2 hrs a day 6 days a week during this time as well while maintaining a pretty disciplined high protein diet. My body fat % came down from 22% to 20% in a couple of months, but hasn't gone lower after that. It's disheartening to see all that hard work yielding not so great results, which further affects my motivation to exercise considering I'm not seeing any more results. So this med hasn't been weight neutral for me (compared to baseline wt.) although I didn't gain any more weight on it either."

The Mad King (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have been on remeron, lamictal, strattera and for almost a year. I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, adult ADHD and ptsd. In August I was present when my best friend of 36 years years passed away from cancer. Needless to say that grief combined with MDD had me in a very bad space in my head. I Went to my doctor and he suggested abilify as an add on to the remeron, I was already on 45mg and he refused to increase. He also prescribed buspar as a prn for my anxiety. With in days the dark pit I was in closed up and I was able to breathe again. Although still grieving it comes in manageable waves now instead of being 24/7. I have had very minimal side effects and take 5mgs in the morning. I would recommend this medication"

Zhonaleigha October 14, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I'd love to say this med was good for me. I can't. I've never had such an awful response to a medication. After 1 week of being on it I began to experience odd sensations. My arms felt disconnected, I couldn't get comfortable. At the 2 week mark I had to leave work two days in a row, customers were terrifying me, my pulse was 180! By this time my anxiety slowly shot up so high I was paralyzed. I couldn't walk across the room. I literally was stuck in a chair. Everything was extremely terrifying. Just sitting I was afraid to move. Once I saw my dr, found out I had suffered a severe panic attack that sent me into an anxiety attack for TWO weeks! I was ill for six months. Read the pamphlet with the drug , it lists SEVERE ANXIETY!"

BATEBALDI1 October 13, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I absolutely hated this drug. My thoughts cycled so fast and I became 100 times more paranoid than I already am. I wouldn't leave the house and even preferred my closet. It multiplied my OCD as well."

Blue Violet October 11, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I was diagnosed with depression in 2000. My doctor at the time was a bit of a quack and had no idea of the symptoms and treatments for depression. Moving forward, I have been seeing a very good doctor now for about 12 years. As you are well aware, not all meds for for all people. I am only writing this today in hopes of saving someone some time and frustration if Abilify is not working for you. I started taking Abilify as an enhancement to the Wellbutrin that I was already taking. As time went on, my depression got worse. To make a long story short, I went off of Abilify 3 months ago and life has been great. Not sleeping all day or dragging my butt, thinking clearer and have endless amounts of energy. STAY AWAY FROM THIS MED!"

alitlfaith (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 8, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on various antidepressants for over 25 yrs. When I quit working, drinking and smoking, buried memories of my father's abuse rose up and almost killed me. Over the next 5 years I was hospitalized 5 times for a total of almost a year in Homewood in Guelph. (Every time I was admitted they built me up, but back at home I would deteriorate. Homewood saved my life). Life for me was much better after my husband retired 11 yrs ago (yes I am a senior). We bought a trailer in Florida and spend 6 months there every winter. However, every year during the 6 months in Ontario I would slowly go down hill until I did practically nothing, slept for a big part of the day, but always managed to hide my depression from my daughters and sister"

Spring - see next post rest (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Was on Prozac for the last 4 years to treat my depression, anxiety and intrusive thoughts until my Prozac pooped out. I upped my Prozac with no relief. I tried other ssris Zoloft,Celexa Lexapro which only made my condition worse. I even tried an snri Cymbalta with no relief. 7 months later I finally got to see a psychiatrist. He put me back on Prozac 10 mg and augment with Abilify. It took a month before I decided to try it because of the cost ($110.00 for 30 2mg pills) I felt it working 2 days later. After 1 week my intrusive thoughts went away and my depression lifted with anxiety gone. I had zero side effects. Its been 10 days now and I feel myself again, going out and doing things. For me Abilify is a perfect fit, I hope it lasts."

dymndjim (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2016

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia "Abilify 20 mg. I am a patient diagnosed with disorganized schizophrenia, depression, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar. I have experienced a sensitivity to my emotions, as well as how I react to my feelings. I really don't feel out of the normal with any "sexual frustration"...and I wouldn't say this has increased/decreased. I feel less anxious on the medication, and seemingly more at ease with myself when I take this medication. It is a hard step to have people telling you that you actually do better on this pill, when half your life ago, you didn't have "mental illness", and suddenly you become someone else. My weight did fluxuate when on this drug. But I feel it was due to stress factors outside of a regular environment. I feel if you place yourself in good surroundings and support you do much better at being the person you are here to be. I am so much happier in life with a routine. I feel like I only referred to enlongated periods of sleep because of depression, and events surrounding certain time frames hence thoughts, and reactions. Abilify (aripiprazole) My instant reaction from this drug is concern for my well-being. I am nervous because I am one of the people taking this drug till the stars fade, every day to my last. My doctors all seem to say the same thing, and that is, "This medication is working for you". I do blood tests when I go into the Hospital freqently, and they are not finding anything off the charts and everything is always normal with my vitals. My thought is, how do they consider this medication works for me? Because I am not showing side effects? Because I am accepting? I feel I have to hold patience, my own value, what I care about around me to help better myself mentally and my virtue. I feel that I am just not the type of person to curbside answers to things we wonder deeply about, I guess. I don't know if there are any people who would agree then that I should ask if there are any women who have taken abilify during a pregnancy? Just wondering what the reaction is... Is my question? I am a 30 year old female diagnosed with Mental Illness starting in 2004. I started to take Abilify 20 mg. in 2004 to present. Overall, since this medication has not been threatening to me, I feel I should embrace it."

Kora1986 (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Abilify made me into a short term sex addict. My life is ruined . Abilify is the devil theres no cure for a lost soul. Do I need to tell you not to take this drug? Witch doctors all of you and no good money hungry people . I hope you burn too."

Black Bird 810 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Taking abilify about 10 years. Does cause weight gain and for myself no sexual desire. The swings from manic to depression continue but are manageable. Do not take yourself off this drug "cold turkey". Caused many psychotic episodes for me which disappeared when returning to the drug. Sad movies no longer make me cry. Don't have great joyful moments either. I don't stagger around like when I was on lithium. I do have hypertension not always controlled by the 3 antihypertensive I'm taking."

Kimky (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've had severe, reoccurring MDD for several years, aggravated by an eating disorder, self-harm, chronic insomnia, and compulsive behaviors. I've bounced around the whole SSRI; you name it, tried it. My Wellbutrin/Brintellix combo wasn't sufficient. I was exhausted, napping 2-3 hours midday, eating disorder raging, couldn't get out of bed. No motivation, flatness, etc. I've been taking 1mg Klonopin at 5:30p & bedtime, and 10mg Ambien when I go to sleep for a decade. I did NOT like Abilify. It did nothing to give me more energy or motivation. I gained 20 pounds in one month on the med, with NO SYMPTOMATIC RELIEF. Stopped after 6 wks, and have only lost 10lbs in the 6 mo, even with exercise & meal plan. Risperidol was no better. Crap drug!"

Hannah B September 19, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Several years ago I was prescribed Abilify as an add on to my Paxil 50 mg. Which I've been taking for 24 yrs for Major Depression. It was amazing. I was so happy. I became interested again in things that I used to enjoy. Unfortunately my only bad side effect was that it made me cry for absolutely no reason. I could be talking to someone about anything at all, and the tears would start. I had to stop taking it because nobody wanted to be around me anymore. My doctor has never heard of this happening with Abilify. Lucky me."

Cheerio2 September 16, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine at 5mg a day every day for a month was terrible. It made me have panic attacks and made me super paranoid, i was paranoid before but it made it even worse, would not recommend"

Bigboss1974 September 15, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I read these reviews for over a month before even taking these meds. I will say this, you just have to go for it. Best decision I've made in a VERY long time. Abilify has helped me in so many ways! I was at my lowest point. I was severely depressed. I've been taking this medication for over a month & hands down I feel great. Yes I still have my days but they are for sure getting better.. All I want to say is do NOT let what other people say stop you from getting better. Try it for at least 6 wks & judge for yourself. At this point weight gain is welcomed for me. I lost so much weight I'd like to gain at least 30 lol. I am just happy to feel "NORMAL" again. I hope all of you get better. Stay Strong & never give up. Stay Blessed "

Regina September 7, 2016