User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

"Am 62. Been diagnosed at 20 with Borderline Personality Disorder, at 21 with Schizoaffective Disorder, then in later years with Autism and Asperger's syndrome. I am not sure which I am. (Plays into my theory that there is only one mental disorder, which has many different manifestations.) Had been taking antipsychotics from 20 to approx. 50, when I was switched to an Risperidone. Since 61, been on Abilify. Calm living, declining positive effects I feel, dosage needs to be adjusted (up) occasionally. Get mild anxiety attacks once a month, alleviated with Clonazepam. Socially better, forgetful, can't recognize faces, lose names. Crystalline memory improved. More mature, wiser, but hopelessly inept at seeing details, visuals. LOST 10 lbs."

KarinthyFrigyes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2016

"I developed severe akathisia (restlessness) while taking this medication. I had a difficult time sitting in one place for more than a few minutes and it was absolutely exhausting. I also developed insomnia and TD (tardive dyskinesia) and altogether I would say this medication was very difficult to tolerate. I was happy to be taken off of it."

Nicky890 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2016

"Horrible side effects. Triggered a depressive episode and could not sit or stand still at all when on this med. Just rocked back and forth. Hated it."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

"Having increased hallucinations and paranoia, and feeling isolated. this is making it hard to get out with people, and I have been on 10mg. Good things are I am feeling more active in general, taking better care of myself. Not too happy with the amount of voices that occur when on this med. It has made me more hungry, and restless."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

"Took care of the positive effects of schizo and most of the negative ones. Gave me medicine induced akathisia, which I take propranolol for. That is the only reason I gave 8/10"

MDizzle January 16, 2016

"I was recently diagnosed schizoaffective, at 30 years of age. I've been on 30 different medications, ranging in all of the psychotropic med. spectrum. Abilify, at 10 mg., has stopped the; delusions, paranoia, depression and visuals. I am in full remission with the aid of paxil and remeron. Initially, abilify can cause some insomnia. Ask for a sleep aid. I used remeron for sleep. I highly recommend Abilify for schizoaffective disorder. 1 week should have results. 2 weeks peak plasma concentration. Peace"

B strong (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2015

"I'm 66 years old and had been treated with a myriad of drugs for bipolar and schizoaffective disorder including psychoses, mood swings, delusions and hallucinations for over 30 years when I was put on Abilify. It was like someone flipped a switch and I got my life back. I am virtually symptom-free for over twelve years now and the only side effect has been some weight gain which, at my age, is a fair trade. Truly a wonder drug."

Scaaty (taken for 10 years or more) October 7, 2015

"I took Abilify for over a year, at 30mg. I remember a few pros and cons. Pro: I became ok with not having to talk, explain, or stir up 'energy' at public gatherings. (Took away the "prophet - tell them or they'll all die" urge completely.) Pro: I could complete projects without superstition or worry that every tiny detail could lead to catastrophe. Con: Severe Akathisia (very painful, and pain wasn't managed at all in the hospital. This is why I don't take anti psychotics anymore!) Con: Loss of creativity/writers block Con: Very flat personality. Con: Visual, auditory and tactile hallucinations did not go away so they kept increasing dose to highest dose - still never went away. If there was no pain, I'd give this a 9."

I'mNotSureWhatMyNameIs (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 6, 2015

"The medicine helped tremendously with my paranoid. However, I had insomnia and gained 45 pounds the six months I was on the medication. For health risks, I had to be taken off the medication."

OlivuaJade2306 July 16, 2015

"Abilify keeps me very well, and has improved my life, after spending 13 years sedated, this was a relief! Only side effect I get; bladder weakness."

Natalie*** (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2014

"Definitely my favorite. I'm so put down by my mood stabilizer that I never got manic on it. Weight gain for me is self induced, not medication induced. It ups a lot of things that make you smarter. Scholastically I do well on it. Nice medicine."

Ianguitarist January 19, 2014

"I have been on Abilify for about 14 years and I have found it to be very beneficial. I suffered from verbal and visual hallucinations. Thanks to Abilify I have been symptom free for a number of year. Thank God."

Yoda1977 (taken for 10 years or more) October 29, 2013

"I am thirty three and I have schizoaffective disorder. Ability gave me the energy to make it through the day and run after two kids. It's the best medicine I've ever been on. No side effects. Stopped drinking and pills. Doing much better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2013

"Works for me!"

Under Control (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2013

"I like the medication but it does dry me out some times. So I drink lots of water. I also do notice it helps you sleep. I haven't been on this medicine long just about two months."

rebecca T. (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2013

"Abilify worked wonders for me. So far the only side effect I have is the involuntary movement of my jaw. And also I sleep like 12 hours in the morning. But so far so good. Haven't gained any weight either and I hope I don't in the future as I have been taking it for just 4 months now."

Bella84 May 26, 2013

"Although this medicine works wonders for some and not so well for others, I have found that it has helped me a great deal. It is truly a miracle for me. Without it I would not be the person that I am today. I was put on this medicine when it was barely out of the lab. It has totally changed my life. I love it!"

daisy1979 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2012

"I heard voices and experienced wild delusions for over ten years before I found Abilify. At first I took 10mg of Haldol to quiet the voices but that stopped working after 6 months. And the side effects of Haldol were high. My experience with Abilify I think are better than average, in that I'm symptom free, with no side effects. 30mg a day for three years."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2012

"It did nothing for me and the doctors wouldn't take me off it."

Kegvdbbhkjg (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2012

"Abilify worked better for me than Risperdal for my odd thinking, and I hear voices less on Abilify than Risperdal, as well. It also gave me no side-effects. Unfortunately, I did not find the Abilify to be 100% effective. It does very little for my mood episodes as monotherapy. My psychotic symptoms still seem to pop up here and there too, even on the highest effective dose of 20 mg. Currently, I'm looking for a more effective antipsychotic that doesn't cost an arm and a leg either."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2012

"Sadly, this medicine was at one time my worst enemy. I couldn't sit still on it, I kept pacing and twitching, half screaming half crying, agitated, itchy and angry. I couldn't sleep for more than 4 hours a night and I was only on 2.5 mg of it. I don't remember if I ate or not on it, but probably not because I was in a type of hell. I know it's a good medicine for a lot of people, but for me, it turned my life upside down."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2012

"Eliminated hallucinations, but neither eliminated nor reduced delusions. Extreme anger, increasing as dosage increased, until becoming extremely violent. When Abilify was removed relative calm."

Anonymous November 14, 2011

"Doctors added Abilify with Celexa (antidepressant) and Geodon and I finally feel normal."

Anonymous October 20, 2011

"Abilify was the first antipsychotic my doctor tried with me after I was diagnosed with schizoaffactive disorder. It did nothing for me. My main symptoms are depression, difficulty concentrating and hallucinations. I noticed no difference in any of these while on the Abilify. Except for the side effects, you would think I wasn't taking anything. The side effects were orthostatic hypotension (dizziness upon standing), blurred vision, and involuntary muscle twitches. My doctor took me off Abilify after three weeks and we tried Invega, which worked much better."

Anonymous January 3, 2011

"I suffered for over 5 years in an episode state, I was diagnosed bipolar schizoaffective in January of 2008. Was prescribed Abilify for the schizoaffective disorder and Zoloft for the bipolar disorder the combination of the two has changed my life. I'm not homeless anymore and am able to hold a part time job to support myself. "

Lete December 23, 2010