User Reviews for Abilify

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

"I said that I have troubles with focus and concentration, forgetting everything , unable to do simple jobs, but can do creative stuff. I have normal IQ (*142) and I'm skeptic all the time. Don't believe in ghosts, magic, gods and all other stuff like horoscopes, karma, souls, but my grandmother was paranoid schizophrenic and very religious. I thought there is condition called ADHD, but they prescribed me "Abilify", because they said it's depression. First was injection to muscle. Then I took small very expensive pills. But after few weeks I started noticing side effects and no improvement in anything. Unable to sit normally, smoking more cigarettes and later I even had problem to move my muscles. My eye lids didn't moved, face like "frozen"."

Marijus Stasiulis (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yay!Love abilify. I'm 56, started on lowest dose 3 weeks ago and my thinking process has never been so normal. Way more motivation. Feels like a miracle after decades of mental torment. My doc will probably increase my dose a bit in 2 weeks. Looking forward!"

Suki56 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did nothing for my delusions and hearing voices. It only made me twitchy, unable to sleep, agitated and gave me extreme tremor. On only 5 mg. I much prefer olanzapine, more effective with milder side effects."

BabygirlXOXO February 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am very happy with Abilify. I have been on it with Lexapro and klonopin and I am feeling much better than I was. I can make firm decisions. As a matter of fact I bought my first home at 58. I take care of my own finances and for the most part I am very pleased with my adulthood. I am a wonderful grandma and my babies love me. It is awesome to be me. I feel free and "human ". I am blessed!!!!"

Noblee (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've left an experience description on this site, on July 1, 2016. On the plus side, I'm still calm, socially acceptable, void of psychosis, anger, am kinder and gentler. But I've and continue to do so, developed anxiety. It is accompanied by a strong depression. The quality of my life has taken a turn for the worse for the last two months or so. And it is constantly getting worse. Today I took half a tablet of Clonazepam, as suggested and prescribed by my psychiatrist for exactly this reason. Anxiety, panic. And it helped!! But I resent to have to take a pill for such deeply disturbing and serious a side effect. Especially one such pill that is potentially extremely habit-forming, tolerance-developing, and dependence-training."

KarinthyFrigyes (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Abilify for 11 years now and although it worked wonders at 1st, I have developed a rather severe case of tardive dyskinesia which makes sitting still almost impossible. I believe that after this length of time of taking it it is losing its efficacy. The parkinsonian like symptoms of the tardive dyskinesia are also embarrassing and make simple things like typing on my phone difficult. It definitely helped with my violent tendencies. Still I am ready to look for an alternative second-generation antipsychotic."

Janeykins (taken for 10 years or more) December 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's work wonderfully but it's extremely expensive if you don't have great insurance."

Raven8721 December 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Abilify for 8 years. It completely removed my delusional thinking patterns at just 5mg and at 10mg it resolved a mania psychosis, and helped me get my life back on track. Only side effects were insomnia (which I took Imozop for) for when I initially began taking it, but 2-3 weeks after trial I was side-effect free."

Sal_j (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Am 62. Been diagnosed at 20 with Borderline Personality Disorder, at 21 with Schizoaffective Disorder, then in later years with Autism and Asperger's syndrome. I am not sure which I am. (Plays into my theory that there is only one mental disorder, which has many different manifestations.) Had been taking antipsychotics from 20 to approx. 50, when I was switched to an Risperidone. Since 61, been on Abilify. Calm living, declining positive effects I feel, dosage needs to be adjusted (up) occasionally. Get mild anxiety attacks once a month, alleviated with Clonazepam. Socially better, forgetful, can't recognize faces, lose names. Crystalline memory improved. More mature, wiser, but hopelessly inept at seeing details, visuals. LOST 10 lbs."

KarinthyFrigyes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I developed severe akathisia (restlessness) while taking this medication. I had a difficult time sitting in one place for more than a few minutes and it was absolutely exhausting. I also developed insomnia and TD (tardive dyskinesia) and altogether I would say this medication was very difficult to tolerate. I was happy to be taken off of it."

Nicky890 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible side effects. Triggered a depressive episode and could not sit or stand still at all when on this med. Just rocked back and forth. Hated it."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having increased hallucinations and paranoia, and feeling isolated. this is making it hard to get out with people, and I have been on 10mg. Good things are I am feeling more active in general, taking better care of myself. Not too happy with the amount of voices that occur when on this med. It has made me more hungry, and restless."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took care of the positive effects of schizo and most of the negative ones. Gave me medicine induced akathisia, which I take propranolol for. That is the only reason I gave 8/10"

MDizzle January 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was recently diagnosed schizoaffective, at 30 years of age. I've been on 30 different medications, ranging in all of the psychotropic med. spectrum. Abilify, at 10 mg., has stopped the; delusions, paranoia, depression and visuals. I am in full remission with the aid of paxil and remeron. Initially, abilify can cause some insomnia. Ask for a sleep aid. I used remeron for sleep. I highly recommend Abilify for schizoaffective disorder. 1 week should have results. 2 weeks peak plasma concentration. Peace"

B strong (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 66 years old and had been treated with a myriad of drugs for bipolar and schizoaffective disorder including psychoses, mood swings, delusions and hallucinations for over 30 years when I was put on Abilify. It was like someone flipped a switch and I got my life back. I am virtually symptom-free for over twelve years now and the only side effect has been some weight gain which, at my age, is a fair trade. Truly a wonder drug."

Scaaty (taken for 10 years or more) October 7, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Abilify for over a year, at 30mg. I remember a few pros and cons. Pro: I became ok with not having to talk, explain, or stir up 'energy' at public gatherings. (Took away the "prophet - tell them or they'll all die" urge completely.) Pro: I could complete projects without superstition or worry that every tiny detail could lead to catastrophe. Con: Severe Akathisia (very painful, and pain wasn't managed at all in the hospital. This is why I don't take anti psychotics anymore!) Con: Loss of creativity/writers block Con: Very flat personality. Con: Visual, auditory and tactile hallucinations did not go away so they kept increasing dose to highest dose - still never went away. If there was no pain, I'd give this a 9."

I'mNotSureWhatMyNameIs (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The medicine helped tremendously with my paranoid. However, I had insomnia and gained 45 pounds the six months I was on the medication. For health risks, I had to be taken off the medication."

OlivuaJade2306 July 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Abilify keeps me very well, and has improved my life, after spending 13 years sedated, this was a relief! Only side effect I get; bladder weakness."

Natalie*** (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Definitely my favorite. I'm so put down by my mood stabilizer that I never got manic on it. Weight gain for me is self induced, not medication induced. It ups a lot of things that make you smarter. Scholastically I do well on it. Nice medicine."

Ianguitarist January 19, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Abilify for about 14 years and I have found it to be very beneficial. I suffered from verbal and visual hallucinations. Thanks to Abilify I have been symptom free for a number of year. Thank God."

Yoda1977 (taken for 10 years or more) October 29, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am thirty three and I have schizoaffective disorder. Ability gave me the energy to make it through the day and run after two kids. It's the best medicine I've ever been on. No side effects. Stopped drinking and pills. Doing much better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2013

"Works for me!"

Under Control (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I like the medication but it does dry me out some times. So I drink lots of water. I also do notice it helps you sleep. I haven't been on this medicine long just about two months."

rebecca T. (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Abilify worked wonders for me. So far the only side effect I have is the involuntary movement of my jaw. And also I sleep like 12 hours in the morning. But so far so good. Haven't gained any weight either and I hope I don't in the future as I have been taking it for just 4 months now."

Bella84 May 26, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Although this medicine works wonders for some and not so well for others, I have found that it has helped me a great deal. It is truly a miracle for me. Without it I would not be the person that I am today. I was put on this medicine when it was barely out of the lab. It has totally changed my life. I love it!"

daisy1979 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2012