User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Hyperekplexia 1 reviews 8 medications

Bipolar Disorder 158 reviews 28 medications

6.4
Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 290 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Depakote was a nightmare. Besides having acute, non-stop stomach pain with chronic diahrrea, my hair started falling out in clumps. Good thing I have thick hair or I could have been bald at the end of this drug. I don't recommend this to anyone. It was like taking poison."

Velveteen Rabbit (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "Depakote was started three months ago when we exhausted all efforts with every other preventive med for migraines and headaches . I have been Experiencing these my entire life. Since 6 years old . Now 35., imitrex was used to try to knock off the migraine but insurance only provides nine pills a month so I found myself breaking them just to get through a day .And if over used they will no longer work. So I'm adding in aspirin all that junk. Ending up in ER. Just to go back the next two days because the stubborn migraine would come back , or laying in bed holding my head with ice. needless to say , on a small dose 250 a day . Wow few headaches a week I can deal with. Weight gain well now I can workout no real excuse there."

Ljtb123 March 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "50 Year old male, 6'5" 210 lbs, I have had migraines for ten plus years. I am on 100mgs of Topamax twice a day which gave me four to five migraine a month. Doctor put me on 250mgs Depakote and so far I am down to one migraine a month with no side effects from the Depakote - that I can tell. I call that a win!"

VADiesel February 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Only my depressions cause me problems, for which Epival (Divalproex Sodium) was entirely useless, even after a few months. Lithium and especially Lamotrigine proved much better options for me."

Canada345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have struggled silently with impulses to self-destruct/self-injure for many years. Various things would trigger episodes, frustrating conversations. Some temptations were very strong, and sometimes I quickly self-injured. I let people think I was suicidal, and therapists were geared to interpret that way, but it wasn't that; it was overwhelming impulses to hurt myself, which I couldn't explain and felt humiliated about. Then I got to a very good psychiatrist, who put me on Divalproex extended-release pills, which I take at night. While I am groggy in the morning, and feel tired in the afternoon, and sometimes require a nap. Recently, I've been triggered, but the impulse to hurt myself was much less. The drug was to slow things down."

Secret struggler February 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "The generic Depakote immediately and effectively controlled my mania, and smoothed out my moods. In combination, I take two anti-depressants, Wellbutrin and Lexapro (both generic). This 3-prong regimen is very effective for me in controlling my bipolar disporder."

Tektonik66 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I just took my first dose & am hopeful yet apprehensive. Hoping to see what others are experiencing."

Neu (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been through so many medications it's ridiculous... most of them didn't work AND caused severe side effects. The last one I was on before Depakote was lamotrigine (which really is better for bipolar II, from what I understand). I tend to run very manic (and don't have a thyroid anymore - cancer), so my doc and I decided this would probably be my best option. None of the new drugs worked on me. Depakote has been amazing. I can think a lot more clearly and I'm still me - just a lot more toned down. I've had no negative side effects except a slight tremor, but I'm also on xanax for severe anxiety, so its only noticeable when it's time for that. No weight gain, either. In fact, my appetite decreased. I haven't gained or lost, really."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "It has worked well for me I was taking I can't even remember what that made me sleepy all the time and I did feel like a zombie. My doctor kept Zolof 100mg along with Depakote 500mg due to my panic attacks. After about a year we tried taking Zolof off but Depakote alone did not work for me. The combination did help my life a lot, more focused, I feel like I can organize my thoughts, get things done, follow through on plans... it changed my life for the better. The constant hunger and putting on weigh are a sadly too true for me, but given the improvement in the quality of life it gave me I find it a small price to pay. Also now that I am more focused I find it easier to actually get to the gym to work on loosing those 14 pounds."

hypomania (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Didn't realize how great it was till it was gone. After 4 years of failed cocktails until I found Depekote with Zoloft. I was on it for 3-5 months @1250mg and had Excessive Weight gain, insatiable hunger,,,BUT Worth it! I was productive, positive, stabilzed, making plans and following thru. Then Liver enzymes high @ 6 mo. and abruptly taken off ... Horrible move by panicked Doctor. On my third medicine since and all bad results. Any opinions on Depokote retry while protecting my liver with Milk Thistle & Turmeric? My last blood work was best its ever been. I have no faith in my Dr and am seeking a new."

Karyn 44ys Single Female (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I take depakote 500mg extended release at night for bipolar. Mostly mania. I like depakote because it keeps me leveled. I feel normal. No mania. No depression. I do sometimes have trouble sleeping but not much. I have felt nauseous but I'm gonna go to my primary doctor because my psych says the nausea would've happened in the beginning of depakote and I've been on it for a while so probably not caused by depakote. Anyone taking depakote, make sure you go to your follow ups to check liver enzymes in your blood since it can cause liver damage. Overall I think depakote is effective for me. I tried lamictal and abilify and I hated them. They made my ankles swell up to 4 times their size. My ankles were very red and painful and swollen."

M M 555 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "It was bad. It made me gain weight. It made me have tremors ,which will never completely go away now.I couldn't hold plates or hold cups without shaking. My head started shaking. My new Neurologist took me off of them. I was on them for over 20 yrs. I would strongly think about other meds before taking this one considering the side affect can't go away immediately or not at all ."

Annloss1970 November 23, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "Insurance covers generic only. The generic medication changes from manufacture to manufacture, the different brand changes from month to month can lead to breakthrough seizures. In order to prevent that I must either pay out of pocket about $450 or find a generic about $10 that works. I found one generic that works well and go from pharmacy to pharmacy tracking that one down."

rainysunnywind888 November 3, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "My moods are better controlled. I feel more emotionally stable and physically calm. My husband has noticed a huge change in my moods and patterns."

Lavender pink78 November 2, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Worked well, controlled my mood swings and hallucinations. Unfortunately I gained 100 pounds in a year and a half. Also remember to get your bloodwork done. My blood pressure and blood sugar shot up really bad."

Spleener (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "this medicine works fairly well, i take the appropriate dosage, no complaints but weight gain."

jodubz October 8, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started depakote 3,000mg straight off when I was 15 years old I have since been taken off from it and still paying the price for it. It made me hungry constantly i gained a total of 50 pounds in 7 months I had no energy at all and no feelings no happy thoughts no sad thoughts I was literally a zombie and now I'm still seeing new doctors and switching meds all the time and I've had enough nothing is working and no one can help me I really need help and can't find it anywhere"

1ks October 4, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "While new to depakote, I'm not really sure this med is helping my bipolar disorder. I was on lithium er for five years and life was good, no night terrors, no mania, low level depression events at times and I was nice or cordial with people but tremors got so bad couldn't do much of anything With the depakote the night terrors are horrific at best, think I'm rapid cycling, mania appears out of the blue and depression I don't want to think about. Is it the dosage or that I'm new to depakote. Any insight appreciated"

Zoey's mom September 16, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy: "My 10 year old daughter has had seizures for 2 1/2 years. She has had about 100 petit Mal seizures a day. She has been on two other medicines that didn't help. She started taking this medicine and her seizures are down to 1-2 a day. Love this medicine for her!!!"

IzzyGirl10 September 15, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar 1 rapid cycling and life was hell. Manic episodes were a little intense but the depression is what really killed me. It got worse and worse over time to the point I felt numb to the world. Life sucked and I wanted out. After taking many medications that didn't work (Abilify and Lithium to name a few) so I ended up in a mental hospital where they finally gave me Depakote. It literally SAVED MY LIFE!! I feel normal and stable for the first time in my life and I couldn't be happier. Im enjoying every second of my life now. God bless this drug (:"

SplashMaster6 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was suffering from bipolar for 10 months. After taking many medicines i was on divalproex 500 mg for 3 years and lamotrigine 150mg for 2 years. I was able to handle stress and forget that i have any depression. My dosage for both was kept to lowest 250 mg for divalproex and 50 mg for lamotrigine. But on this stage after having stress my symptoms reuccured but was not severe as before. I will have too increase the dose again."

Huzaiff (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 5, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I had debilitating migraines for 15 years and went on a small dose of Depakote (125 mg) twenty years ago. It was amazing. Maybe five headaches over all those years. However I have now gone off hormones and having steady weight gain, increased dizziness and some depression. I am uncertain what to do. Our chemistry changes as we age, and the science is not keeping up."

Meadow kat September 4, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have major bi-polar disorder as well as severe depression and PTSD. This med (along with Seroquel and Wellbutrin) has been a literal lifesaver. For the first time in my life my moods are stable as well as manageable."

TLGeer September 1, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Was on this drug for about four years with Wellbutrin. The combination worked well for the first three years; however developed severe tremors and other side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Mania: "This drug really helped me! I noticed a huge difference almost immediately and so did others around me. It helped me put down the bottle and focus on daily tasks along with not freaking out on other drivers with road rage as I previously would do. I would definitely recommend trying it, at least. As far as the weight gain aspect, that's kind of in my favor because it was always hard for me to keep weight on/gain weight. So I'm happy to gain some weight. I gained about 10 lbs in a week or two. That being said, it has become a chore to constantly be eating & only eating healthy foods due to my extremely high triglycerides (genetic)."

Anonymous1234282882 August 18, 2016