User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Hyperekplexia 1 reviews 8 medications

Migraine Prevention 52 reviews 32 medications

6.4
Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 264 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "I have nothing good to say about this drug, zero. After doing some reading, it said that depakote normally is recommended in doses up to 1000 mg a day. I was taking 3000 mg a day for 20 years. My whole life was turned upside down by it. It affected my life in so many ways. First of all, at the dose I was taking, it had so many negative side effects, it was amazing I made it through college and graduated. The side effects at the dose I was taking were very severe. The side effects were depression, weight gain, foot drop, stuttering, tremor, and kept you in a constant haze. I had all these exponentially worse than people who take smaller doses. This was the worst drug imaginable and should be banned by the FDA."

Shan 22 July 21, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "After my first manic episode at 39, was hospitalized and chose Depakote over Risperdal due to weight gain fears. It's been 2 weeks and along with intensive therapy and healthy lifestyle it's definitely brought me back to reality"

Bipolar 1 recently diagnosed (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "2007 - Put on 750 mg/day of Depakote alongside Lithium 800 mg/day. Killed libido stone dead. Did not help stabilise mood but worked away destabilising good lithium effect. Found this out after stopping Depakote 2014. Depakote has caused prostate cancer which was removed by radical prostatectomy June 2014. So it has caused me to be severely incontinent now, with erectile dysfunction. This month June 2016 it has been confirmed I have Multiple Myeloma a blood cancer. Depakote is the suspected trigger again. These effects result from being put on Depakote for seven years with no investigation of physical symptoms being reported to "psychiatric professionals""

Sion (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I took my first dose of Depakote at night before bed. The next day I was so leveled out; I wasn't talking fast it was great. The rest of the day starting around 1:00 p.m. I slept all day. I woke up at 12:00 a.m. with my eyes extremely wide and dilated, my skin on my arms and legs was swirling (like the Starry Night painting), the walls were moving and things on the wall were levitating up and down. I was up until 3:00 a.m. and an on call nurse told me to sleep so it would wear off; I have never taken this medication again. (Taken for Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar type)"

TamaraAngel (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking Divalproex(Depakote)250mg on June 10th and than on June 17th I was admitted into a psychiatric hospital because of my bipolar. I learned from the psychiatrist there that the dosage I was on was absolutely nothing and would have no effect on me. The psychiatrist ended up raising the dose to 750mg. I definetly can tell that my mood is leveled out for the most part. I would recommended this to people with bipolar and people with seizures(I was diagnosed a few years ago with non eptiletic seizures). So far I dont see any side effects, thank God. I take this medication at night along with: Aripiprazole(Abilify)15mg Trazodone(Desyrel)50mg Hydroxyzine(Vistaril)50mg Clonazepam(Klonopin)1mg"

StayStrongJustBreath92 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Depakote put about 60 pounds on me. It did nothing for my mood accept make me a zombie. I sat around and did nothing. I had no energy, my skin itched non-stop, I developed migraine headaches and felt plain shitty all over. My muscles ached, stomach/abdomen hurt. I complained about it and my doctor upped the dose and I was on 2000 mg xr when I could not stand it any longer. I took myself off of it and have changed doctors. I hope this one will listen to what I say."

info2pondergmail.com (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 22, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was treated for clinical depression from age 18-40 using a variety of medications. I've also struggled with alcoholism, drug and sex addiction most of my adult life. I had a period of six years' solid sobriety beginning in the mid 90's but, even sober, battled with diagnosed clinical depression. At that time I was being treated with Serzone. The more the doctor increased the dosage the more depressed I would become. I obsessed on failed relationships, acted out sexually and financially in very risky ways. I finally changed Psychiatrists at the suggestion of my Therapist. The new doctor analyzed my symptoms and indicated that I had been misdiagnosed with clinical depression. His prognosis was Bipolar II Disorder accompanied by acute depression"

NunyaSAT (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking this for a few years and I have severe headaches often along with suffering with low back pain which is constant on my left side and nothing is soothing it. Laying down is excruciating and I'm in the process of running test. This started about 4 months ago and I have been trying to deal with it and hope that it would eventually go away. It's becoming unbearable."

Langelle23 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Noticed that depakote improved stability of mood and reduced depression. However, it did not help with mania mood swings. This drug also totally removed my libido. I have never experienced such an inability for sexual activity than while taking this drug. A week after stopping the drug and sexual libido is back. I would avoid this drug if male."

Manuel231 May 15, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Depakote has worked great for me. It totally helps with mania. The only medication that clears up my head and makes me feel normal. Also it gets rid of my migranes. The only bad thing is a few side effects. I gained weight and my hair fell out. And I was pretty lathargic at first. Takes a while but once it kicks in I felt like a whole person. I was off of it for a long time and recently was put back on it so going through side effects again but felt a difference rite away."

jamel102065 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Honestly this medicine has saved my life! I went from having multiple long lasting episodes of mania to none. Ya i still get the thoughts but im relaxed and able to make conscious choices now that im on it. The only negative side affect is the hair loss but its temporary, but so worth it. Nothing is better than feeling like you are in control of yourself, and this medicine does this for you dont be scared to ask your doctor about it!"

Susyg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Really intense side effects. Weight gain, zombie like behavior, etc."

rxqp89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I took Depakote 500mg for a week then increased my dose to 1000mg after the next week. The next day I began having terrible stomach pains and pains in my kidneys, especially after eating. I emailed my doctor and he told me the side effects would subside but they didn't. They actually got worse and the abdominal pain would linger all day and night. I also had a hard time sleeping, I would wake up every 1-2 hours and sleep less than 6 hours a night, along with having very vivid dreams. The dreams later got more and more violent/terrifying and I began to fall into a very deep depression, one I had never felt in my entire life. I stopped taking this medication after three weeks. I will never take this medication even if it saved my life."

Bipolar2 April 2, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Have been taking this med since 1992 w/ some breaks here and there. I too have been on, what would seem, every med for Bipolar diagnosis. I take 1750mg and also take 400mg of Lamictal (another mood stabilizer which seems to help with the depression) My only issue had been weight gain which remains a problem. 10 years stable, after being hospitalized for 8 months due to manic episode and psychotic break (was only taking Topamax at that time). Would highly recommend."

blessed5# March 11, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "Started having migraines about ten years ago. The only treatment that has ever worked for me is Depakote. Everybody is different, but for me this was a Godsend. Nothing worked and Topomax was only a temporary solution. The thing is that after a two month regiment my headaches completely went away. I stopped taking the medication for two or three years before my migraines returned. I went on another regiment and again I went several years without a headache. Yes, I did have slight weight gain, and yes it did affect my ability to perform sexually, but I did not have to continue taking it for more than 3 months. Cysticercosis as a child and a catalyst of factors cause my headaches. Depakote works."

Manny05 March 10, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "This medicine took 3 weeks to fully kick in. I had the side effect of increased appetite, but I haven't gained any weight because I eat a low carb diet and workout 4 times a week. I do not have any side effects anymore and this mostly controls my temporal lobe epilepsy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Mania: "Good medicine. Blood tests are annoying. I wet the bed a couple nights a week on this med because it knocked me out. It takes a while to get used to but it's overall not that bad of a med. Works well for mania."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Diagnosed 6 years ago as Bipolar 2 after 20 years of being all over the place. crazy ups/back downs but only ever treated for depression, I was put on a variety of medications in the first year that made me so ill, weight gains/losses, irrational thoughts/ideas, constantly felt ill with colds/flu had to keep changing medications and doses to see if they would work, then given Depakote, wow I felt human again within 2 weeks, settled, calm, clear head no side effects, its done wonders for me that no other got close to, I have my life back"

Ekomoon (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am not very fond of Depakote. When I took it it didn't improve my moodswings that much. In the beginning it made me nauseous & caused my hair to fall out. No, I didn't go bald, but it thinned out my hair enough that my hairstylist noticed. Eventually, my hair stopped falling out, but I gained a lot of weight & I had very bad tremors & bad coordination. If you do decide to take this medicine make sure your doctor tests your blood regularly. I think you are supposed to have your blood tested every 6 months."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on depakote for about six months for bipolar II after being taken off lithium, I am feeling more like myself but still feel a slight emptiness and falseness, I am also taking lamotrigene and pregablin for extreme anxiety. I have put on nearly a stone in six months, I am also being tested for ADHD, I am 48 yrs old and have had this from when I was a child, when you have grown up with this you do not know any different until you become very ill, sorry for the rambling not sure if it makes sense. x"

amsay January 15, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "This drug took me out of a downward spiraling mixed episode, for that I'm thankful. However, being BiPolar II, the initial dosage of 1750 mg. which was never recommended to lower after its effectiveness had been reached, almost put me right back to where I was. I wouldn't recommend this drug if you're on the depressive side of BiPolar, or for any length of time/dosage that the medication isn't even recommended to be used for. I've since switched to Lamictal, will see how it goes."

HappytoB (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "My doctor prescribed Topamax for migraine prevention, and that gave me too many awful side effects as well as doing nothing for me. He switched me to divalproex, taken twice a day. Much easier to take, with almost no side effects except being a little sleepier and finding it a little harder to focus. However, it's doing nothing for my migraines. And I had such hopes."

WillametteBearcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "I currently take Zonegran --I love love love it!!!--- Prior to this I took Depakote--for me this drug sucked-- I was lethargic, my hair fell out in clumps I went from weighing 225lbs to 389lbs and I developed Sleep apnea. I was taking 500 mg of Depakote four times per day---2000mg of this stuff-- I had several seizures in my sleep one where I fractured my ankle on the bed frame. The weight was the worst I could not control it. I wish I could submit a picture of myself while being on this stuff. After I got off this drug I lost 160lbs. My dad saw the b4 pic and didn't know who I was. Maybe this works for some, but not for me I would never take this again!!!"

Wildreign (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am honestly the happiest person ever since my Psychiatrist prescribed Depakote for me, NO MORE RAPID CYCLING!! I take two 500mg tablets about 20 minutes minutes before bed and I sleep throughout only waking up when my back aching in pain; I'll save that for my Baclofen and Prednisone post. I do not experience the manic highs as I was once did; however I still have my low days but everyone does! My low days are no where near the days when I on Trileptal or any SSRIs. I was taking Ability and Lithium for a week (this is my experience) I started seeing the world in two-dimensions, sort of like the early Nintendo characters. I freaking out!! That was it. Make sure to get blood tests every months to ensure your Depakote are in line. A "

dsran87 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Best medicine I've been on !!!! Focused,low anxiety,sleeping well no night terrors ."

Happyintexas (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015