User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Divalproex sodium has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 420 ratings on Drugs.com. 50% of those users who reviewed Divalproex sodium reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Bipolar Disorder
10.0
Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 6.4 420 reviews

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Benny · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 6, 2021

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “Was put on depakote ER 500mg twice a day as well as doubling my dose on welbutrin 300mg and vistaril 50mg twice a day, this was after my last pysch ward stay a month ago. I was manic for months, I knew I was manic, enjoyed the mania and rode it as long as I could till I finally came down from it. Reality set in hard, depression, didn't want to be here anymore. I will say when I first started it, I felt less dead inside. That turned into feeling nothing at all, almost as if I had artifical emotions. I had to act out emotions on given situations. I told my physchiatrist who told me to give it more time but in all honesty I don't want to. I'd rather feel pain/sorrow and manic episodes than this emptiness.”

Demi · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 4, 2021

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I was diagnosed with anxiety and symptoms that are similar to bipolar. I have tried about ten different types of medications in which none of them helped. Depakote was the only one that did help. My anxiety and stress levels were significantly lower. However, after approximately two years of taking it, it started causing four times the amount of liver enzymes that I should have had. I am now off of it and my liver enzymes are back to normal. Not to mention, there is a pretty strong correlation between birth defects and this medication so you should not take this medication if you are going to be pregnant in the near future.”

MJR2020 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 28, 2021

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: “This has been the most helpful migraine preventative - my migraines were becoming a full-time disability and for the first time in a long time I’m hopeful - my doctor added 20-30 mg of Vyvanse (stimulant - a very low dose) to suppress appetite and lethargy and it is amazing - no appetite, no weight gain and I’m energetically working full-time. Fingers crossed it keeps working. Try the stimulant to prevent the weight gain!”

Dan June 26, 2019

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “Since I've started taking Depakote I've been feeling great. My mind can slow it's self down enough to give me time to process, and my moods are way easier to predict and control. I feel like a complete different person, in an insanely good way. Without any annoying side effects as well!”

Timmaaaaa August 1, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!”

John · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2019

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “It’s only my first day taking this Depakote medication and I already love it. I took my first dose of 250mg before bed and it helped quiet my mind and didn’t experience any side effects. I took it in the morning with my lexapro and it helps getting rid of racing thoughts and anxiety. I also noticed I don’t have headaches anymore. It feels like a chill pill. I highly recommend you give Depakote a try and don’t let the list of side effects scare you, as I have experienced none so far. I am taking this for Bipolar Disorder 1.”

Philrx · Taken for 10 years or more August 13, 2019

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: “I have been taking 1 Depakote 500mg ER Brand tablet daily for 28 years (I am 40). Used to treat Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy. This medication has been a tremendous blessing for me as it has controlled my seizures for the last 26 years. I’ve had no side effects but I will mention that I was very active as a child playing sports and continued to spend many hours a week lifting and exercising all through HS and college. I continue to exercise at least 3 days a week. I mention my exercise habits for a reason. I have noticed through the times when we had our children and I wasn’t getting good sleep and not able to exercise as much that I began to notice some possible side effects related to the medication( slight tremors, lethargy, remembering names) when I started back exercising all the side effects went away. I am a practicing pharmacist and married with 2 healthy children. I realize that my story may be somewhat unique but I decided to share to give another long term patient experience.”

Missnoname · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “This is a very effective drug for most people with bipolar and anger disorders. It can be used in higher doses when there is also a diagnosis of insomnia. It does different things to different people but it is generally tolerated well. I'm a RN with bipolar and also work with a psychiatric population. Just a PSA: if you have a loved one with psychiatric issues in a facility because you don't want to/can't deal with taking care of them yourself, you have no right to complain when the facility medicates for behavior issues. 1) You didn't want to deal with it yourself but now you expect others to 2) "behaviors" usually indicate the patient is in a distressed state; nobody hits/kicks/screams/refuses care because they are comfortable and happy. It might upset you that mom can't be away exactly when you want her to be, but it's really not about you. Take her home and take care of her yourself and if you want to stop psych meds when it's your turn, then more power to you.”

SplashMaster6 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 15, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I have Bipolar 1 rapid cycling and life was hell. Manic episodes were a little intense but the depression is what really killed me. It got worse and worse over time to the point I felt numb to the world. Life sucked and I wanted out. After taking many medications that didn't work (Abilify and Lithium to name a few) so I ended up in a mental hospital where they finally gave me Depakote. It literally SAVED MY LIFE!! I feel normal and stable for the first time in my life and I couldn't be happier. Im enjoying every second of my life now. God bless this drug (:”

DonewithBigPharma · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 28, 2019

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “If you like being devoid of emotions then Depakote might be for you and your bipolar disorer. Personally it makes me feel dead inside. No joy, No sorrow. Nothing. Some might like this numb to life feeling. I like the ebbs n flow of life. Seriously this has removed all emotion from my being. I enjoy nothing at the same time I don't dislike anything either. Bad medicine stay clear”

CyclingSarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I'm bipolar ll. Recently started Depakote. Started out at 200 mg, now at 800 mg. So far so good. Will write another review in another month or two. I was terrified starting this medicine, but it has been great so far. I'm still not at my target dose, but it has already helped racing thoughts, depression and hypomania. I feel more hopeful, a lot calmer and less stressed out. NO WEIGHT GAIN AT ALL. Not even a single pound. I've actually lost weight. Side effects? The first week I felt more depressed, but it didn't last. Tiredness, nausea and a bit foggy after each increase. Easy peasy. I have tried 15 medicines including Lamotrigine, Trileptal, Abilify, Gabepentin and countless antidepressants. Nothing worked. Fingers crossed. Big hugs to all of you bipolars out there!”

Surviver · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “My doc switched me from Prozac & Abilify to Depakote ER 500mg at bed time. I've been taking Depakote ER 500mg for almost 4 months now. Everyone in my life has noticed a positive change in me. I feel so calm within. My anxiety & insomnia are very much under control now. I'vw suffeerd with bipolar since my teens. I am 38yrs old. Depakote ER 500 has saved my life! I was done with psych meds & ready to just give up! I'm so glad I have such an amazing doc. No more changing my meds. Depakote ER 500mg in combo with Xanax 1mg 3x's per day has me back to feeling like myself again. Also, I don't need to take the xanax everyday or 3x's per day anymore. The Depakote ER 500mg works for numerous disorders I suffer from. I could go on about the pro's of this med.”

crazytoo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 20, 2013

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “Tried all other bi-polar medicines throughout the past 10 yrs. This one has the least side effects of them all. People tell me my behavior has vastly improved on Depakote. It's hard for me to see myself through other peoples eyes. But, sometimes maybe I should. Personally, for me, Depakote has been a life saver, I didn't want to live with it but find I can not live without it.”

Gabbie · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 17, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Mania: “I was prescribed Depakote ER 500mg to help my anxiety and it has decreased my anxiety 90%. It has made a huge difference in my quality of life. The best part is that it’s been on the market for many, many years, is affordable and has no long term dangers. Do try it, I hate pills but this one is worth it if you are anxious and/or depressed.”

Ekomoon · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 20, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “Diagnosed 6 years ago as Bipolar 2 after 20 years of being all over the place. crazy ups/back downs but only ever treated for depression, I was put on a variety of medications in the first year that made me so ill, weight gains/losses, irrational thoughts/ideas, constantly felt ill with colds/flu had to keep changing medications and doses to see if they would work, then given Depakote, wow I felt human again within 2 weeks, settled, calm, clear head no side effects, its done wonders for me that no other got close to, I have my life back”

gradstudent_10 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2013

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 five years ago and have been on many many medicines. I always took atypical antipsychotics, but never a true mood stabilizer. My new doctor put me on Depakote because I was getting neurological shaking symptoms from the atypical antipsychotic so she started me on Depakote and I have to say I love it. I'm up to 1000mg a day now, and as she lowers my atypical, she might have to increase the Depakote to 1500 mgs. No weight gain, in fact, I had weight loss. I was really hungry in the beginning and I might have gained a pound, but that went away and my appetite changed, vivid dreams (sometimes), but I can deal. I love this, I'm in such a better mood now.”

Ivan · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 8, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I've taken the Depakote medication since 2014 and this is the only drug which eases my symptoms without causing extreme sleepiness. Classified as mild case, most of times I experience hypomania. Upon finding closure in therapy to change mindset and behavior, I've been channeling the disposition for self development and productivity, gradually gaining confidence and control, becoming less dependent on the medication, only taking a tablet each time I'm unable to manage the irritability and distress.”

kellymcnamara1994 December 10, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I was falsely diagnosed bipolar, which I think was the first issue. However, Depakote on a low dose (750 mg) did alleviate some racing thoughts and was effective. Once a doctor inappropriately put me on a high dose for someone who is not bipolar (over 1000 mg), I was a zombie! It made my depression significantly worse, I gained 50 lbs, slept all day and had no feelings. I am a talkative person by nature, and on this drug I barely uttered a word. I'm sure it may work for those with true mania, but I'd say if on too high of a dose, or even a low dose, weight gain is inevitable and sugar/carb cravings. I also just feel it dulls your ability to focus and suppresses happiness. Of course, that could've just been my depression. Just wanted to warn people either way.”

espresso_dreams · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 27, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I have been through so many medications it's ridiculous... most of them didn't work AND caused severe side effects. The last one I was on before Depakote was lamotrigine (which really is better for bipolar II, from what I understand). I tend to run very manic (and don't have a thyroid anymore - cancer), so my doc and I decided this would probably be my best option. None of the new drugs worked on me. Depakote has been amazing. I can think a lot more clearly and I'm still me - just a lot more toned down. I've had no negative side effects except a slight tremor, but I'm also on xanax for severe anxiety, so its only noticeable when it's time for that. No weight gain, either. In fact, my appetite decreased. I haven't gained or lost, really.”

Jayhawk75 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “Being un-diagnosed bi-polar for almost 40 years having many manic breaks until one was so big I wound up hospitalized. I was put on Topamax, Prozac and Lunesta. With a Bi-Polar type II diagnosis I had to change my lifestyle. Already in recovery I approached mental health in the same way.Topamax soon wasn't enough so my doc tried Latuda and it didn't work. Depakote is working great I am finally myself! Yes it makes me hungry I just keep my calorie count the same. The med doesn't cause weight gain - my decisions do. With how well it works I'd take some curves and feel this awesome any day!!”

TheGraduate · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I have ADHD and Bipolar Type 2. I started seeing Depakote's first signs of mood stabilization after a week on 500mg daily (a very small dose). It was great to have a clear mind. At the low dose I've been on, I would say my Bipolar symptoms are about 75% under control, which is great. I can also sleep easier. In terms of side-effects, all I've gotten are vivid dreams on a nightly basis (not nightmares, but sometimes uncomfortable) and very brief auditory hallucinations (hear a loud bang, like a door closing, stuff like that). The hallucinations happen about two times per night, but I've been through worse hallucinations on SSRIs, so I am not too concerned. I also take between 20 and 30mg Dexedrine ER per day for my ADHD. It's been 3 weeks”

Coco · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 25, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: “I was terrified to try Depakote for migraines. I tried a dozen other drugs that didn’t work or eventually lost their effectiveness so I was basically left w/ no choice. I started taking it at night and it really helped w/sleep. In about 1-2 weeks I felt like a new person. My migraines were lessoned as well as the intensity. I monitored my diet faithfully and exercised when I was in less pain. And I never stopped praying it would continue to help me. Please don’t be as terrified as I was. At least try it...”

Mood Swing Mama · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I must start off by saying everyone is different and will react different. My condition is unofficially diagnosed. But I was told when I was a teenager I was a maniac depressive with possible hormonal imbalance. Recently I have had two major mania events. Accelerated heart rate, palpitations, headaches, dizziness, fatigue, mood swings, confusion, and memory loss to name a few. The night I took this medication I felt it kick in. I felt great and had so much mental energy I didn't have before. It has been working for me. I suggest eating when you take this medication it can make you nauseous. I haven't seen any side effects other than that. Each to their own though. Just wanted to post this to this forum to let you know if this doesn't work for you there is a medication that will work. Don't give up !”

MANIC MISTY :) · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2013

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I have to say some of side effect's to DEPAKOTE ARE TOUGH! But the SIDE EFFECTS TO MY CONDITION IS & could be way worse- So I've been sticking to it & working through The SIDE EFFECTS. It's DEFINITELY a miracle pill- I am only at 3 weeks but I've never felt calm- NO racing thoughts & I feel HAPPIER- & I only have LITTLE anxiety at this time. Before, most weeks I'd end up in ER 3 x's DUE TO A PANIC ATTACK. SIDE EFFECTS: headache, staring, head feels funny like a electric shock, nauseous. My lips & tongue are twitching. Instant cold & clammy feeling. BUT I LOVE THE CALMNESS & all theses side effects have gone away & I feel like I am living like I've never lived! This medicine is AMAZING.”

Matthew H December 28, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “By chance I started taking Depakote around the time that my SAD normally kicks in and after a month it had stopped it dead in it's tracks; no depression and only very mild manic episodes. I'm also now experiencing a sense of inner calm and mental clarity than I ever thought possible. No side effects other than vivid dreams and some weight gain, which is par the course for me this time of year anyway and a small price to pay for the improvements I'm seeing.”

amsay January 15, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I have been on depakote for about six months for bipolar II after being taken off lithium, I am feeling more like myself but still feel a slight emptiness and falseness, I am also taking lamotrigene and pregablin for extreme anxiety. I have put on nearly a stone in six months, I am also being tested for ADHD, I am 48 yrs old and have had this from when I was a child, when you have grown up with this you do not know any different until you become very ill, sorry for the rambling not sure if it makes sense. x”

Totally Sarcastic August 22, 2013

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I was just newly diagnosed with bi-polar. I started feeling the effects of my antidepressants as they made me feel too euphoric and unhinged. There are days when I feel as though I can conquer the world and nothing can stand in my way and days when I feel low, as though the world is on top of me. Sometimes, I can laugh and then cry out of nowhere. It's like a roller-coaster ride that seems to get out of control. Anyway, I tried the lamotrigine and I could feel that it was stabilizing me, but it caused brain zaps. Now I am on Depakote @ 250 mg twice daily and I feel really good. It just depends on your system. Everyone is different. You have to find what is right for you.”

SO January 27, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Mania: “I have been on antidepressants and benzodiazepines for over thirty years for depression anxiety and racing thoughts from the anxiety. Started Depakote ten days ago and it has made an amazing difference, slowed my mind down enough to significantly reduce my anxiousness, only side effect mild tiredness no groggy feelings this has been so wonderful.”