User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Migraine Prevention 6.1
Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 6.4 389 reviews

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Ivan · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 8, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I've taken the Depakote medication since 2014 and this is the only drug which eases my symptoms without causing extreme sleepiness. Classified as mild case, most of times I experience hypomania. Upon finding closure in therapy to change mindset and behavior, I've been channeling the disposition for self development and productivity, gradually gaining confidence and control, becoming less dependent on the medication, only taking a tablet each time I'm unable to manage the irritability and distress.”

D1234 June 8, 2020

“I have tried a number of antidepressants over the past 6 years with little to no effect so my doctor wanted to try a mood stabilizer. I had an absolutely HORRIBLE experience while taking Divalproex Sodium for anxiety. From day 1, I had crying spells that lasted all day long paired with the worst insomnia imaginable. I literally could not sleep and would pace around my house because I thought I was losing my mind. I cannot begin to explain how much worse this medication made my anxiety. It was so bad that I went to the ER because I didn’t know what else to do. I was losing my damn mind. The depression was so awful as well. The last couple of day’s while taking this medication left me sitting on my couch like a vegetable. I was told to continue taking Divalproex Sodium because it “takes a couple of weeks” to get into your system. I took this medication for 4 days and decided I had enough. This medication was just too hard on me.”

gf · Taken for 10 years or more May 28, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Mania: “I have taken Depakote (or a 'good' generic) of this medication for nearly 3 decades. It is very effective, has few side effects (with the exception of weight gain which is responsive to diet and exercise). This is a far more effective and moderate drug than what I was initially prescribed (Lithium-on which I hallucinated and felt terrible). I've had no long term effects to date, maintain my dosage and lead a healthy life with this medication. Be careful when using GENERICS...some vary immensely. Let your doctor and pharmacist know immediately if you have issues. (IE: Find the right generic or return to the original Depakote brand). Lovely and effective for a "unipolar" patient that I am.”

Alex · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 20, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: “If you want to lower your IQ 50 points take Depakote”

Gabbie · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 17, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Mania: “I was prescribed Depakote ER 500mg to help my anxiety and it has decreased my anxiety 90%. It has made a huge difference in my quality of life. The best part is that it’s been on the market for many, many years, is affordable and has no long term dangers. Do try it, I hate pills but this one is worth it if you are anxious and/or depressed.”

Jb316 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 30, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: “I have been taking Depakote a while now I've been seizure free for years however I feel this drug has some side effects I feel depression can't sleep most nights . I'm thinking of talking to my doctor and get off this drug honestly I don't want any drug . I wanna try to go drug free and hope for the best.”

DebiAvi · Taken for 10 years or more April 7, 2020

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I was diagnosed with Bipolar I, forty years ago. On Lithium first. Made me worse. Treated with over 30 drugs, all made me worse, before realizing Depakote ONLY was the Med for me. A doc explained to me that folks who lean towards mania should not take anti-depressants. Hindsight! Then, after years of Benzo’s PRN, I started experiencing interdose withdrawals that wrecked my entire immune system. NEVER take Benzo’s!!! Trying to get off of them almost killed me. I got down to 95 pounds. Also, coming off of them is DANGEROUS! Must be done SLOWLY under the guidance of a medical professional who is experienced with the withdrawal risks and tapering schedules. Google the CNN Lisa Ling special. Now with anything I try one new medicine at a time under close medical supervision. Then I know what it does FOR and TO me. Less is more. After years of being on various cocktails, Depakote alone is best for me.”

J · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 6, 2020

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: “Depakote caused an increase in seizure occurence as well as severity of the seizures. Extreme changes in sleep habits, appetite, behavioral issues as well as severe and erratic mood changes, vomiting and regular kidney stones”

Blaise · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 28, 2020

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “Wonder drug for me, although I only use it as a rescue med if I get an inkling of mania. I don’t take it all the time because I gain weight and the hair loss is devastating. The upside is that it gives me curly hair (which also hides some of the hair loss). I lose about 50% of my hair volume. The curls slowly relax once I stop taking it. I still had waves two years after I stopped taking it full time. It’s the oddest thing. In addition to adding it as a rescue med, My doctor and I have carefully put together a drug cocktail that works for me. Effexor XR, Risperdal and bupropion. I don’t feel over medicated and it took years to get the formula right. Never stop trying new meds if you aren’t getting good results.”

Mr. Misdiagnosed · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: “Not sure if this drug caused me to get into a car accident triggered by a dizzy spell or not. Initially doctors thought I was having seizures at age 53. I had to consult with three neurologists before one came to the conclusion I didn’t fit the clinical context of seizures. The only credible diagnosis seemed to be adrenal insufficiency causing blackouts. I may have had an underlying undiagnosed issue but would be very cautious with this drug.”

nonenn · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 8, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “Was given a choice of Depakote or Lithium when diagnosed with bipolar three years ago. I chose Depakote while knowing nothing about it. I've had three manic episodes in my life and Depakote's brought me back down from every one. And since I have mixed episodes, they get really dangerous, so I probably owe Depakote my life. Only downside I've experienced is nausea and vomiting, it can hit pretty hard and out of nowhere sometimes. Made me want to stop the drug at one point, but for me the pros outweigh the cons. You have to get your blood tested every few months and it interacts with some other medications (like Lamictal) so take care.”

Cricky · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “First day of starting it had bad abdominal pains ,headaches , lower back pains, spasticity in legs, dystonia , tired, ankles hurt, tender muscles very sore . Blurry vision not happy at all. But lamictal also caused all of these side effects as well. I hate the bipolar meds they offer .”

SO January 27, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Mania: “I have been on antidepressants and benzodiazepines for over thirty years for depression anxiety and racing thoughts from the anxiety. Started Depakote ten days ago and it has made an amazing difference, slowed my mind down enough to significantly reduce my anxiousness, only side effect mild tiredness no groggy feelings this has been so wonderful.”

Generic Name · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 24, 2020

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “Starting dose of 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night keeps me in therapeutic range, and very effectively controls my bipolar type II with mixed episode, but even with 20mg Adderall extended release, I find my self incredibly drowsy and groggy in the morning. Unfortunately, this medication just doesn't agree with my brain chemistry, and I'm hoping to switch to lamictal soon.”

Barb · Taken for 10 years or more January 14, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: “I have been taking Depakote over 20 years for migraines. Tried everything out there and this is the only drug that helped at all. I had no side effects. However, after about 15 years, I had to increase the dose from 500 to 1,000 daily. About four years after that, found that my osteoporosis had significantly worsened. Just a warning if you are a woman nearing menopause or past menopause, keep an eye on bone density as this drug can potentially reduce that with long-term use or high dosage.”

Ryun · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Mania: “I didn’t care for it. On one it just made me sleep. When it got moved up it just made me more manic.”

Overhead January 1, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: “In 1994 I was in a Semi truck collision. A one ton Ford hit my Semi flatbed loaded with three fork lifts. I received whip lash side ways then the fork lifts broke the tie downs the force started to throw me through the Cab over windshield my seat belt sat me down. I received whip lash front to back. I did not hit my head or get knocked out, as one Doctor stated. I had sharp severe headache's. For months I was allowed to take 10 aspirin a day, 300 a months. A year later I went to Portland Oregon, I found Dr. Christina Peterson she told me I was having rebound headache's. She put me on Depakote twice a day maybe 250 mg not positive. It was a miracle. I was able to work again.”

Mary · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 25, 2019

For Epilepsy: “So this medicine makes me bipolar on occasion. But my doc just told me about 2 months ago my blood level was low. So I started doubling up on it now no reading at all. Is there a recall? I can't understand I had 45min grand mal seizures.before this medication. They put me on keppra. I then had 3 to 5 seizures a day at 45 min each. I had to learn how to read and write again reeducate myself. Long term memory is in tact. Now I have short term memory loss. Lot of brain damage. To where a speech therapist told me I should be talking like I'm 2. But I had my blood tested because after years of depakote and no seizures I was having seizures, felt them coming and was aware while having them. Short but horrible feeling. Thats when doc said the valporic acid was low. Now no reading of valporic acid can be detected. I don't want another 45min seizure. I don't know when they come or that I've had one unless Isee blood.”

ME · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “The drug itself is fine, but the coating makes my body feel very sped up. When I soak the pill to get rid of the coating, I don't have that problem. When I take the drug from a different manufacturer, no problem. Need to use better ingredients!”

Rosco · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2019

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: “I just recently started taking Depakote for seizures. I was on keppra 1000mg 2x daily I was losing a lot of weight 150 to 129. I had a seizure that caused full body paralysis. Usually only happened on the left side of body. I suffered 2 strokes then started having seizures after 1 year ago. I was diagnosed with a blood disorder that causes clots hence the strokes. Then seizures. Neurologist diagnosed me with what they call Todd's Palsy then just recently had a bad seizure with black outs and full body paralysis she also diagnosed me with FND Functional Neurological disorder brain isn't sending right signals to tell my body parts what to do. Slow slurred speech. Memory issues word searching when speaking. So we changed med to Depikote as I was losing a lot of weight. I was a week away of signing my DNR. Because how thin I was. Mind u I'm only 48yrs old.”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 29, 2019

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I had a very rapidly fluctuating merry-go-round of symptoms, particularly psychotic type symptoms and Depakote didn't seem to have any effect. Cycling continued. It also made me physically slow and caused weight gain that mostly dropped after going off of it.”

Rain man · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 20, 2019

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I take 1000 mg at night and 500 mg in the morning. And I'm always tired. I slept 15 hours last night and I'm still tired after drinking 3 cups of coffee. I have bipolar disorder 2 and I don't have manic episodes anymore. Still experience delusions but certainly less. I seem to have gained about 15-20 pounds. I also take 300 mg of seroquel, which can cause weight gain and drowsiness. If it weren't for weight gain, and drowsiness things would be good”

Kb · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 15, 2019

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I’ve noticed no change in my mood swings or manic tendencies on this drug. I still go through both; in fact, I’m concerned it could be causing me some insomnia. I’ve taken it for about a year, and in the last month I’ve dealt with major depression and mood swings, which bring me swiftly to paranoid thoughts and delusions. All in all, it’s done literally nothing it’s prescribed to do. Everyone will have different experience on different drugs, so take this with grain of salt.”

So-so · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 14, 2019

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “I haven't really had a major manic episode since I started depakote. However, it did not help me with normal agitation, violent thoughts, or anger. But trade-offs were weight gain, significant hair loss, and tremor. I was on 1250mg/d and decreased to 750mg/d. Cutting down didn't make me feel any difference. I wish this works out for most of you since this is one of the main therapies for maintenance.”

Anonymous November 14, 2019

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: “29 year old Male w/ Bipolar 1, 10 years on Depakote Depakote was the first medication I was prescribed during a manic episode along with Seroquel, which I discontinued or use only for emergency mania/sleep at very low doses<25mg. Depakote worked excellent for me for about 6 or 7 years as I was predominantly manic. The last 3 years or so I have become depressed and hypomanic and I have found Depakote to be much less effective. I switched to Lamictal and it appears to be working much better for depression.”