User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Hyperekplexia 1 reviews 8 medications

Migraine Prevention 53 reviews 30 medications

6.4
Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 284 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

For Bipolar Disorder: "I just took my first dose & am hopeful yet apprehensive. Hoping to see what others are experiencing."

Neu (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been through so many medications it's ridiculous... most of them didn't work AND caused severe side effects. The last one I was on before Depakote was lamotrigine (which really is better for bipolar II, from what I understand). I tend to run very manic (and don't have a thyroid anymore - cancer), so my doc and I decided this would probably be my best option. None of the new drugs worked on me. Depakote has been amazing. I can think a lot more clearly and I'm still me - just a lot more toned down. I've had no negative side effects except a slight tremor, but I'm also on xanax for severe anxiety, so its only noticeable when it's time for that. No weight gain, either. In fact, my appetite decreased. I haven't gained or lost, really."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "It has worked well for me I was taking I can't even remember what that made me sleepy all the time and I did feel like a zombie. My doctor kept Zolof 100mg along with Depakote 500mg due to my panic attacks. After about a year we tried taking Zolof off but Depakote alone did not work for me. The combination did help my life a lot, more focused, I feel like I can organize my thoughts, get things done, follow through on plans... it changed my life for the better. The constant hunger and putting on weigh are a sadly too true for me, but given the improvement in the quality of life it gave me I find it a small price to pay. Also now that I am more focused I find it easier to actually get to the gym to work on loosing those 14 pounds."

hypomania (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Didn't realize how great it was till it was gone. After 4 years of failed cocktails until I found Depekote with Zoloft. I was on it for 3-5 months @1250mg and had Excessive Weight gain, insatiable hunger,,,BUT Worth it! I was productive, positive, stabilzed, making plans and following thru. Then Liver enzymes high @ 6 mo. and abruptly taken off ... Horrible move by panicked Doctor. On my third medicine since and all bad results. Any opinions on Depokote retry while protecting my liver with Milk Thistle & Turmeric? My last blood work was best its ever been. I have no faith in my Dr and am seeking a new."

Karyn 44ys Single Female (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I take depakote 500mg extended release at night for bipolar. Mostly mania. I like depakote because it keeps me leveled. I feel normal. No mania. No depression. I do sometimes have trouble sleeping but not much. I have felt nauseous but I'm gonna go to my primary doctor because my psych says the nausea would've happened in the beginning of depakote and I've been on it for a while so probably not caused by depakote. Anyone taking depakote, make sure you go to your follow ups to check liver enzymes in your blood since it can cause liver damage. Overall I think depakote is effective for me. I tried lamictal and abilify and I hated them. They made my ankles swell up to 4 times their size. My ankles were very red and painful and swollen."

M M 555 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "It was bad. It made me gain weight. It made me have tremors ,which will never completely go away now.I couldn't hold plates or hold cups without shaking. My head started shaking. My new Neurologist took me off of them. I was on them for over 20 yrs. I would strongly think about other meds before taking this one considering the side affect can't go away immediately or not at all ."

Annloss1970 November 23, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "Insurance covers generic only. The generic medication changes from manufacture to manufacture, the different brand changes from month to month can lead to breakthrough seizures. In order to prevent that I must either pay out of pocket about $450 or find a generic about $10 that works. I found one generic that works well and go from pharmacy to pharmacy tracking that one down."

rainysunnywind888 November 3, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "My moods are better controlled. I feel more emotionally stable and physically calm. My husband has noticed a huge change in my moods and patterns."

Lavender pink78 November 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Worked well, controlled my mood swings and hallucinations. Unfortunately I gained 100 pounds in a year and a half. Also remember to get your bloodwork done. My blood pressure and blood sugar shot up really bad."

Spleener (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "this medicine works fairly well, i take the appropriate dosage, no complaints but weight gain."

jodubz October 8, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started depakote 3,000mg straight off when I was 15 years old I have since been taken off from it and still paying the price for it. It made me hungry constantly i gained a total of 50 pounds in 7 months I had no energy at all and no feelings no happy thoughts no sad thoughts I was literally a zombie and now I'm still seeing new doctors and switching meds all the time and I've had enough nothing is working and no one can help me I really need help and can't find it anywhere"

1ks October 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "While new to depakote, I'm not really sure this med is helping my bipolar disorder. I was on lithium er for five years and life was good, no night terrors, no mania, low level depression events at times and I was nice or cordial with people but tremors got so bad couldn't do much of anything With the depakote the night terrors are horrific at best, think I'm rapid cycling, mania appears out of the blue and depression I don't want to think about. Is it the dosage or that I'm new to depakote. Any insight appreciated"

Zoey's mom September 16, 2016

For Epilepsy: "My 10 year old daughter has had seizures for 2 1/2 years. She has had about 100 petit Mal seizures a day. She has been on two other medicines that didn't help. She started taking this medicine and her seizures are down to 1-2 a day. Love this medicine for her!!!"

IzzyGirl10 September 15, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar 1 rapid cycling and life was hell. Manic episodes were a little intense but the depression is what really killed me. It got worse and worse over time to the point I felt numb to the world. Life sucked and I wanted out. After taking many medications that didn't work (Abilify and Lithium to name a few) so I ended up in a mental hospital where they finally gave me Depakote. It literally SAVED MY LIFE!! I feel normal and stable for the first time in my life and I couldn't be happier. Im enjoying every second of my life now. God bless this drug (:"

SplashMaster6 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was suffering from bipolar for 10 months. After taking many medicines i was on divalproex 500 mg for 3 years and lamotrigine 150mg for 2 years. I was able to handle stress and forget that i have any depression. My dosage for both was kept to lowest 250 mg for divalproex and 50 mg for lamotrigine. But on this stage after having stress my symptoms reuccured but was not severe as before. I will have too increase the dose again."

Huzaiff (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 5, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I had debilitating migraines for 15 years and went on a small dose of Depakote (125 mg) twenty years ago. It was amazing. Maybe five headaches over all those years. However I have now gone off hormones and having steady weight gain, increased dizziness and some depression. I am uncertain what to do. Our chemistry changes as we age, and the science is not keeping up."

Meadow kat September 4, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have major bi-polar disorder as well as severe depression and PTSD. This med (along with Seroquel and Wellbutrin) has been a literal lifesaver. For the first time in my life my moods are stable as well as manageable."

TLGeer September 1, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Was on this drug for about four years with Wellbutrin. The combination worked well for the first three years; however developed severe tremors and other side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

For Mania: "This drug really helped me! I noticed a huge difference almost immediately and so did others around me. It helped me put down the bottle and focus on daily tasks along with not freaking out on other drivers with road rage as I previously would do. I would definitely recommend trying it, at least. As far as the weight gain aspect, that's kind of in my favor because it was always hard for me to keep weight on/gain weight. So I'm happy to gain some weight. I gained about 10 lbs in a week or two. That being said, it has become a chore to constantly be eating & only eating healthy foods due to my extremely high triglycerides (genetic)."

Anonymous1234282882 August 18, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Depikote was prescribed to me after 2 manic episodes. I've been on a lot of bipolar meds so many that have made me so depressed I spent a whole summer in bed. Depikote def saved my life. It's been a year now a little anxiety but not nearly as much as I've had in the past and a little weight gain and tiredness. But no mania and very little to no depression so thankyou depikote I rate u a 10 it's been a year and no mania :) ur a life saver I take 1500 mg though to so that might be y I'm so tired"

46j1592i August 18, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "I have nothing good to say about this drug, zero. After doing some reading, it said that depakote normally is recommended in doses up to 1000 mg a day. I was taking 3000 mg a day for 20 years. My whole life was turned upside down by it. It affected my life in so many ways. First of all, at the dose I was taking, it had so many negative side effects, it was amazing I made it through college and graduated. The side effects at the dose I was taking were very severe. The side effects were depression, weight gain, foot drop, stuttering, tremor, and kept you in a constant haze. I had all these exponentially worse than people who take smaller doses. This was the worst drug imaginable and should be banned by the FDA."

Shan 22 July 21, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "After my first manic episode at 39, was hospitalized and chose Depakote over Risperdal due to weight gain fears. It's been 2 weeks and along with intensive therapy and healthy lifestyle it's definitely brought me back to reality"

Bipolar 1 recently diagnosed (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "2007 - Put on 750 mg/day of Depakote alongside Lithium 800 mg/day. Killed libido stone dead. Did not help stabilise mood but worked away destabilising good lithium effect. Found this out after stopping Depakote 2014. Depakote has caused prostate cancer which was removed by radical prostatectomy June 2014. So it has caused me to be severely incontinent now, with erectile dysfunction. This month June 2016 it has been confirmed I have Multiple Myeloma a blood cancer. Depakote is the suspected trigger again. These effects result from being put on Depakote for seven years with no investigation of physical symptoms being reported to "psychiatric professionals""

Sion (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I took my first dose of Depakote at night before bed. The next day I was so leveled out; I wasn't talking fast it was great. The rest of the day starting around 1:00 p.m. I slept all day. I woke up at 12:00 a.m. with my eyes extremely wide and dilated, my skin on my arms and legs was swirling (like the Starry Night painting), the walls were moving and things on the wall were levitating up and down. I was up until 3:00 a.m. and an on call nurse told me to sleep so it would wear off; I have never taken this medication again. (Taken for Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar type)"

TamaraAngel (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking Divalproex(Depakote)250mg on June 10th and than on June 17th I was admitted into a psychiatric hospital because of my bipolar. I learned from the psychiatrist there that the dosage I was on was absolutely nothing and would have no effect on me. The psychiatrist ended up raising the dose to 750mg. I definetly can tell that my mood is leveled out for the most part. I would recommended this to people with bipolar and people with seizures(I was diagnosed a few years ago with non eptiletic seizures). So far I dont see any side effects, thank God. I take this medication at night along with: Aripiprazole(Abilify)15mg Trazodone(Desyrel)50mg Hydroxyzine(Vistaril)50mg Clonazepam(Klonopin)1mg"

StayStrongJustBreath92 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016