User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

6.6

5 reviews
Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 6.6 331 reviews

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm bipolar ll. Recently started Depakote. Started out at 200 mg, now at 800 mg. So far so good. Will write another review in another month or two. I was terrified starting this medicine, but it has been great so far. I'm still not at my target dose, but it has already helped racing thoughts, depression and hypomania. I feel more hopeful, a lot calmer and less stressed out. NO WEIGHT GAIN AT ALL. Not even a single pound. I've actually lost weight. Side effects? The first week I felt more depressed, but it didn't last. Tiredness, nausea and a bit foggy after each increase. Easy peasy. I have tried 15 medicines including Lamotrigine, Trileptal, Abilify, Gabepentin and countless antidepressants. Nothing worked. Fingers crossed. Big hugs to all of you bipolars out there!"

CyclingSarah (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am very pleased so far with my experience taking Depakote. Before Depakote, I was taking seroquel for quite some time (a couple years) and although I was happy on that medicine, I was way too tired. Luckily my solution was Depakote. All I can say is I have tried medicine for 4 years now and it has been a long journey! I will always remember my first time taking Depakote. Normally I get very fearful and panic the med will make me sick. Not Depakote. Instead, I felt immediately better, happy even, and giggled. Once that wore off, I felt normal and slept an hour or two after taking it. I enjoy how I still get tired on this medication like seroquel, but it does not overwhelm my senses with sedation, and fog my memory as much. If anything, I have never been more myself! Only thing is now sometimes I laugh too much."

Carala (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I have a migraine 4 to 6 times per week. I have tried Maxalt, OTC drugs such as Acetaminophen, Excedrin, Advil, PM meds like Advil PM, amitriptyline, and now Depakote. Depakote has done nothing at all to improve my migraines. At this point, I wonder if anything is going to ever help my migraines. All of the meds I mentioned above do not help. I'm at my wit's end. I tried Topamax too a few years ago and it made me so nauseous and didn't help my migraines. I had an MRI done, and the ENT doctor said there were no brain abnormalities seen on the MRI disc. I don't want to be a guinea pig ( hey, try this), or a medical mystery. All I want is some pain relief. Caffeine doesn't help, nor does alcohol. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!"

simkitkat66 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Love it. 15+ years taking it"

Tricia (taken for 10 years or more) March 28, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for : "I have major depressive episodes and have serious derealization when I have these episodes. Depakote has literally been my life saver. I am on a very low dose for a therapeutic treatment- 750mg. Though not a lot, it is the perfect dose for me. I am so much calmer and feel a better type of me than I have in so long. I sometimes forget I struggle with major depression until I skip a dose or forget to take it for a couple of days. I used to be completely anti-meds but when you actually seek treatment and get the right medications it's a life saver! I take 750mg of depakote and 30mg of celexa. My only downside with this med is the weight gain. It will happen if you aren't extremely on top of working out and eating healthy- however I can say that when I did weight watchers and exercised I was successful In losing weight- so it's not necessairly impossible. I do also sometimes get blurry eyes randomly. The benefit of the medicine and the mental clarity I get is amazing and extremely worth it."

Ashleyzarate14 March 27, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I've been on depakote ER once at bedtime for only 6 weeks and it has cut my migraines in half. Still get my normal headaches as well. Would like to give it more time to see how it works. So far no side effects at all."

Shelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Rubbish med. Ruins liver"

alschuster March 22, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "This review is on behalf of my 16 year old son. Manic Ups and downs for years, between over the top excitement/happiness (rare and short lived) or anger/violence or full depression /sadness. Just trying to help him level out. Has been moved on and off many different medications to try to find a fit. Most recently Dr added depakote to his 900 mg lithium & 15 mg abilify. First four days started with depakote 500 mg; then added another pill to 1000 mg. Started to have digestive issues and tremors but pulled through. Increased to 1500 mg 4 days later which led to more tremors and violent vomitting. Dr suggested splitting the doses am/pm. Within 2 hours of taking the am dose the next day- same violent vomitting. Confirmed no stomach bug. His body was unable to handle the level of Depakote. Now, No longer taking. I've read many positive reviews on this medication , but sadly ours is not one of them due to his adverse reactions."

Still Looking for Answers March 19, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "Lethargy, weight gain, depression, headaches, muscle aches, nausea"

Dee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 35 years ago, but finally received a diagnosis on the bipolar spectrum two years ago at the age of 60. Depakote ER (2000mg at night) fixed things I didn't know were wrong and has stilled the ultradian cycling that was really my problem all along. I feel luck that the only side effects I have encountered are hair loss at first (now resolved) and occasional heartburn. It relieved most of my depressive and hypomanic symptoms within three weeks, but I just added Lamictal to help a little more with depressive symptoms. I take a complicated stack of meds to manage psych. symptoms, but Depakote is by far the most important."

sf100 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been diagnosed as bipolar for 20 years now and just a month ago listed as bipolar 1 severe with mixed moods. This is the only medication that REALLY works to help control my manic moods. ONLY side effect for me is a little bit of shaky hands after taking for a few hours."

Ash11485 January 26, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking depakote @ 1000mg for the past year and a half. I also take risperdol @ 1mg and just added on zoloft @ 100mg as well. The only positive thing this medicine has done for me is rid me of mania. I am constantly depressed and have persistent suicidal/negative thoughts. I feel like I have been sleep walking through my life since I have been put on this medication. Also I have gained 50 pounds and am so hungry all the time. I also have zero libido. When I say zero I mean zero. I have had sex on this medication and it was the most unenjoyable experience ever. Just nothing. Next time I go to see my physiatrist I am going to ask to switch medications. This might work for some but it has not worked for me in the slightest."

teelar (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 20, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Start a few days ago this medicine. So far I'm ok, no side effect. I can sleep all night and wake up rested. All my body pain is almost gone. Calmed my mania and anxiety. Been on Lithium before but was awful with the side effect and the worry to hurt my kidneys. Hoping this medicine works for me."

Liz2018 (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've taken depakote for 13 years along with citalapram. 250 mg depakote with 10 mg of citalapram. It helped with my intense excitability, my severe depression and suicidal thoughts which happened to me 2 weeks out of the month. It was so bad. After taking these meds I felt so much better like a "normal" person. I had no side effects. My symptoms were down to 3 days instead of 3 weeks which I could deal with and didn't want to kill myself anymore. I'm an bipolar and/or pmdd. They are not working for me anymore so I'm going to have to change to something else. Hope this helps someone. :)"

Yellehs (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2018

For Cyclothymic Disorder: "I took depakote two different times, once in 2016 and in 2017. The 5 months I took it in 2016 I noticed I had less ocd and insomnia. My hair got thinner but not so badly and also I felt like I couldn't do activities that requested an intellectual effort. The seconde time I took it for a period of about two months I didn't feel like it slowed me down like the first time, but my hair lost was worse and it made me very hungry. I discontinued it because the hair lost was too much. However it still helped with my ocd and calmness."

Depakotee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2017

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on generic Depakote for 12 years. Prior to it, I took lithium for 28 years. On Depakote, I lost 30 pounds; and did not have hair loss. I do get tired in the afternoon and take a nap. I feel the medication helps me live a good life. I believe I would be dead without medication that keeps me from being manic."

Madoline December 4, 2017

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm going to say this. This medication has been a lifesaver for me. I've been on it for six months now. I take it for migraines, bipolar, and seizures. No noticeable side effects except for a lot of ear popping. I am a lot calmer than what I used to be. My anxiety is still there but it isn't as bad as it was. I can actually function on this medication. My family can be around me now. I used to rapid cycle and have mixed episodes at least ten times a week. Now they're gone. It's nice to be normal for a change. No grandiose delusions. No audible delusions. I am a little bit sleepier than normal. But with a change of diet, I'm okay. No hair falling out. Just the normal hair loss when it comes to the change of weather."

J2 Gal December 1, 2017

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Hi I've recently got married to my partner of 6 yrs, last year he was diagnosed with bipolar he has tried all different kinds of medicine but he’s started a new one call Depakote 5-10-17 for the last 2 weeks he’s had 2 personalities Mr Nice and Mr Horrible it can changed within mins do you think I should contact his doctor or bear with it. He’s never been like this I can’t talk to him, I can’t even look at him without him asking me what my problem is. This is really out of character. He is normal downer I know when they are coming and I can take time out and after 3-4 he’s back to him normal happy self but this I not sure how much more I can cope with!! We have a 5 yr old who keeps saying will daddy get better! I’m just in desperate need for some."

Life15hard (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I take non generic Depakote ER 1750 mg?? Haldol 4 mg, and propranolol 20 mg. I have some hair loss, insomnia, and shakiness. I believe the medicine is finally working after 17 years of trying every bipolar medication with Depakote ER. I lose my patience and get angry at customer service representatives sometimes. I lose my patience and get mildly angry at my husband but it appears to be under control. The insomnia at times gets really bad and I wind up calling lifenet to cope. I will be trying melatonin 3mg to see if this helps. I want to try 1500 mg of Depakote ER to see if my insomnia improves also."

chew chew (taken for 10 years or more) October 14, 2017

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "It made my bi polar disorder worse, I had bad ringing in my ears also my heart rate increased. But it wasn't worse then when my hallucinations got so much worse then they already are."

Babi Girl95 October 2, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "Was prescribed for moderate to severe depression and anxiety. Was never put on mood stabilizers before was never diagnosed or had bipolar or manic disorders. It was a new doc so I thought it was a new approach and went along with it. After lithium threw me deeper into my depression my doc tried the depakote. It definitely helped bring me out of my lithium fog but after 4 to 6 months I gained 10 lb and found myself in and out of depression. I ultimately had to leave this doc as he didn't want to try anything else and recommended ECT! That was hard to hear and he was completely blowing me off. I also had tried to reach out to my therapist someone I was seeing 2x a week for 8 months and she never got back to me. I'm now on an antidepressant and waiting..."

Jilld1314 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I can't rate it yet but I gave it a 5 because it's been about 5 days. I've noticed a calm relax feeling. Normally after I exercise, I still have energy. Since I've started to take it, I've noticed a good calm relax tired feeling. Not a drowsy tired, which is good. Also, I'm noticing an attitude switch for the good. As for weight gain, nothing yet and I hope it stays that way. I'm eating much better and exercising more to balance just in case. I definitely feel a change for the good. Hopefully this is a fix until I can do it off medicine. If not, it is what it is. I'll keep an open mind. Let me know if anyone has anything different."

Joseph Robinson Jr September 18, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been getting migraines since I hit 30 and they just kept getting worse each year. My neurologist had my on several drugs that seemed to work for a time before they stopped working. Finally I was put on Depakote 2 months ago and it's been fantastic! In just over 8 weeks I've only had a single migraine when normally I'd have 3-5 a week and so far I don't seem to be suffering from any side effects. I can finally work and have an actual social life again!"

Adam J (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2017

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Love this medication, after 2-3 years of severe long lasting manic episodes finally decided to take meds full time. Hardly any side effects, very hungry, simply eat normally and you wont put weight on, the medication doesn't make you fat, eating does. Occasionally very tired and my stomach from time to time gets a little funny, just take with lots of water and food. Very calm, can concentrate, no racing thoughts, level, basically gave me my life back, works well at 750 even though I'm 80kgs, Dr upped me to 1000mg but felt too sedated so dropped back down. I move to 1000mg if I feel like I'm starting to drift a little for a few weeks then move back. However, this is the 7th med I have tried, all others have failed, never write one med off"

qwertyazsxdc (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 26, 2017

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started Depakote ER 2000mg at bedtime about a year ago after decades of ineffective treatment for depression and anxiety. Depakote proved that I was misdiagnosed: it quickly alleviated my psych. symptoms and allowed me to reduce Xanax XR dose by half and eliminate PRN Xanax. I haven't experienced the weight loss side effect, but did lose a lot of hair at first. The hair seems to be thickening up now. I would give it 10 stars except for the hair loss."

LAGuy (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2017