User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Migraine Prevention
6.1

Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 6.6 342 reviews

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for : "My doctor decided to experiment with me because all my other antidepressants weren’t helping me. They made me “happy” but they didn’t help with my anxiety. So she put me on this and I love it :) I haven’t had any side effects. The past three months have been the best in years! I’ve been painting again and working out and eating veggies- still hate them but I want to be healthy. I am motivated. BUT I still have anxiety- but not where as bad. I also have begun I stutter more."

Jo October 12, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on Depakote for 5 days now for bipolar II disorder and it has helped me tremendously. Before I took it, I came on here and read the reviews so I was a little nervous but I am so happy that I didn't let that get in the way of me taking this medication. Before taking this I was very suicidal, that's all I could think about. I hated my life, I was severely depressed and my moods were uncontrollable almost all the time. With the help of this medicine, I am finally functioning like a semi normal person! It really has changed my life. The only complaint is that I feel a little foggy and a little nauseous at times."

pres October 5, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am a guy who underwent 30 yrs of treatment for anxiety/depression until I was finally correctly diagnosed with BP2 and ADHD. Depakote ER 2000mg at night is my mainstay med. My default mixed states are well-controlled by Depakote. Xanax works as a rescue med at far lower doses than I took before Depakote. Early hair loss (now resolved), no weight gain. I take 20mg Dexedrine daily for ADHD; Depakote doesn't let it trigger hypomania. Ketamine infusions & nose spray cover the depressive side."

SF100 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2018

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I take 1000mg a day, split one in the morning one at night. I have bipolar type 2 and it’s helped a lot. I’m able to focus more, stay more level headed."

nathan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "Was on depakote ER for years at a very high dose (2400mg) and while it completely prevented my migraines with aura (numb face, tingling arm, bad visual changes, dizziness etc.), the side effects were NOT worth it. Severe weight gain (I went from about 115 to 170lb in a couple years) Menstruation stopped completely Pre-diabetes Although it can be used to stabilize mood, it created mood swings in me. Horrible, horrible medicine with very serious side effects. Depakote ER should not be used on women of child bearing age due to the effects it has on your hormones. I've been off it for almost 8 years and my health has returned to normal. I started a daily calcium channel blocker and it's prevented most of my migraine."

Beanie4 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 21, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have had three severe manic episodes in my lifetime. First was not diagnosed. The 2nd severe mania hit in 02 and I was given zyprexa. This took the edge off but I would wake up in the early morning manic again, once it wore off. When depakote was added, I really came down. I was Manic-episode free 15 yrs, w/ relapse in ‘17. I was put on zyprexa and lithium but was still flying high and fast - complete manic. Once high dose of depakote added, I came down for good. This drug has been critical for resolving my manias. My experience with it for long term treatment has not been good though - lost a lot of hair, and a lot of enthusiasm and felt like I was in a stupor. I gained weight, but that has happened on all the useful drugs."

Alt jay (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Today is my second day on depakote. I was freezing yesterday and it was 80 degrees. I have been on gabapentin, lithium, celexa, wellbutrin, lexapro, and so many others. I tried to commit suicide 3 weeks ago and that’s when I decided enough was enough. As soon as my oldest started ninth grade I started sleeping on the couch, having crazy mood swings, and then my daughter graduated. I slept on that couch for 6 years. My husband worked 3rd shift and me day shift. I was self medicating with hydros then when I wanted to stop that I got addicted to Suboxone. I also have a thyroid disease and had no idea that played into it. I’ve weaned myself off all drugs and now they started me out 500 mg twice a day. And my thyroid medicine. This is going to be a long road but I know it will be worth it. Please don’t give up."

Stephie77 (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "After the birth of my daughter I had a depressive episode, I would like to note I was 40 pounds over weight after having my daughter, normal after childbirth. I delivered a healthy baby and my pregnancy had no complications and I had normal lab results on physicals before depakote. After being on it, I ballooned up another 40 pounds. The depakote messed with my thyroid issues, gave me obesity, sleeping about sixteen hours a day, mental fog, severe fatigue, depression, fatty liver diagnosis. I like walking every day and after the depabloat I could not get the energy to walk anymore. The doctor blamed everything on me, (wonderful doctor). Before depakote, I did not have any of these problems. So beware. The professionals can care less what the medication does to you. I wouldn’t take this medication again. This was all over the course of eight months. The doctors will blame you for every adverse side effect to cover their own bottoms when prescribing this crud of a medication."

Depabloater (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 4, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Was given this for a mood stabilizer. As a side I was having headaches everyday constantly for 6 years previously. I had tried Aleve and Avail, and it hardly did anything. After a day of 2 on Divalproex my headaches were gone. After a week my headaches returned so I started taking one at daytime and one in evening (500mg) each. I will see my DR. again in a month because I still feel like I need something stronger, and there needs to be some kind of adjustment so that it last all day."

Gabriel (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "Makes me so drowsy all the time. I'm on 1000mg a day. Gained 40 pounds. Affects my work and grad school. Slows down my brain and gives me anxiety. Icing on the cake is I’m balding now at age 24"

Joey245 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I believe this medication is a blessing! I was started out at 500mg/am and 750/pm. Eventually I was taking 1500mg twice a day. My moods became level, my appetite came back, my sleep was restful, and I felt like the "me" I had been missing."

Queenie (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Been on Depakote and Prozac for three days. I take 20 mg prozac in the morning and 750mg depakote before bed. First day great..I felt better! My mood was noticably happy and I could actually think clearer without being agitated. Second day had trouble sleeping, anxiety, tremors and a little hallucinations. Third day terrible nausea, panic attack, in the bathroom every 20 mins seems like, bedtime abdominal pain and diarrhea. I'm slowly coming off of this med now."

Jill (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Terrible. Absolute poison. I would never ever put that toxic waste in my blood stream again. Depakote is bad."

K (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "First, I was put on Divalproex during a hypomanic episode that wouldn't end even with five different psych drugs. The Divalproex worked quickly to quell the hypomania, but at 1000 mg/day this drug's side effects were unbearable. Chronic diarrhea, rapid weight gain of 30 pounds, shaking hands, finger tremors, excessive tiredness during the day, lack of coordination when walking, lack of concentration, & two thirds of my long hair fell out in clumps. My psychiatrist started lowering the Divalproex gradually down to 500 mg/day, & she withdrew three of the other drugs also. All the side effects subsided. Now I'm just taking 500 mg Divalproex per day along with 40 mg Latuda & my moods have been really stable!"

marCanada (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been suffering from migraines for about 15 years. On average I would have a migraine at least weekly sometimes more. About 8 years ago I started on Depakote. I went from having migraines at least monthly to 1 or 2 a year. The last count was I hadn't had any for over 2 years. Now just recently I started having migraines more frequently. I have experienced some weight gain but not sure if it's the aging process or the meds."

Jim (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 25, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "I have been epileptic since birth. I have been on Depakote ER for over 20 years. I am now on 2500 mg a day(1000mg in the am and 1500 in the pm) for nearly a year at this dose. Thought there was just something wrong me not meaning my epilepsy meds or my epilepsy. I was reading all the comments here and I am definitely going to speak with my neurologist about taking me off my Depakote ER and possibly put a different epilepsy medicine. I was reading through here and many side effects others was or is having with Depakote. I was like oh my goodness that is the same as me. I have much confusion, literally loosing my memory, can't concentrate or focus, migraine headaches have got so bad since I been on this medicine - I cant remember a complete week with no migraines .Everything always so hazy looking, I still have seizures back though they didn't go away the whole time of about 2 years of being on Depakote. I always feel weak and drained, tired all the time ,I switch back and forth from sleepin gway to much to being tired but not able to sleep at all."

Lisa April 18, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "Take 500 mg daily of Depakote. I have taken other epilepsy medications in the past that never caused symptoms quite like Depakote. Memory loss, tiredness, depression, if I forget to take it boom aura then seizure. Or a lot of times a bit after taking it boom severe auras. My doctor however still thinks this medication is the best fit for me. I don't think so. Absolutely hate the side effects of this medication."

Mary R (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm bipolar ll. Recently started Depakote. Started out at 200 mg, now at 800 mg. So far so good. Will write another review in another month or two. I was terrified starting this medicine, but it has been great so far. I'm still not at my target dose, but it has already helped racing thoughts, depression and hypomania. I feel more hopeful, a lot calmer and less stressed out. NO WEIGHT GAIN AT ALL. Not even a single pound. I've actually lost weight. Side effects? The first week I felt more depressed, but it didn't last. Tiredness, nausea and a bit foggy after each increase. Easy peasy. I have tried 15 medicines including Lamotrigine, Trileptal, Abilify, Gabepentin and countless antidepressants. Nothing worked. Fingers crossed. Big hugs to all of you bipolars out there!"

CyclingSarah (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am very pleased so far with my experience taking Depakote. Before Depakote, I was taking seroquel for quite some time (a couple years) and although I was happy on that medicine, I was way too tired. Luckily my solution was Depakote. All I can say is I have tried medicine for 4 years now and it has been a long journey! I will always remember my first time taking Depakote. Normally I get very fearful and panic the med will make me sick. Not Depakote. Instead, I felt immediately better, happy even, and giggled. Once that wore off, I felt normal and slept an hour or two after taking it. I enjoy how I still get tired on this medication like seroquel, but it does not overwhelm my senses with sedation, and fog my memory as much. If anything, I have never been more myself! Only thing is now sometimes I laugh too much."

Carala (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I have a migraine 4 to 6 times per week. I have tried Maxalt, OTC drugs such as Acetaminophen, Excedrin, Advil, PM meds like Advil PM, amitriptyline, and now Depakote. Depakote has done nothing at all to improve my migraines. At this point, I wonder if anything is going to ever help my migraines. All of the meds I mentioned above do not help. I'm at my wit's end. I tried Topamax too a few years ago and it made me so nauseous and didn't help my migraines. I had an MRI done, and the ENT doctor said there were no brain abnormalities seen on the MRI disc. I don't want to be a guinea pig ( hey, try this), or a medical mystery. All I want is some pain relief. Caffeine doesn't help, nor does alcohol. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!"

simkitkat66 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Love it. 15+ years taking it"

Tricia (taken for 10 years or more) March 28, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for : "I have major depressive episodes and have serious derealization when I have these episodes. Depakote has literally been my life saver. I am on a very low dose for a therapeutic treatment- 750mg. Though not a lot, it is the perfect dose for me. I am so much calmer and feel a better type of me than I have in so long. I sometimes forget I struggle with major depression until I skip a dose or forget to take it for a couple of days. I used to be completely anti-meds but when you actually seek treatment and get the right medications it's a life saver! I take 750mg of depakote and 30mg of celexa. My only downside with this med is the weight gain. It will happen if you aren't extremely on top of working out and eating healthy- however I can say that when I did weight watchers and exercised I was successful In losing weight- so it's not necessairly impossible. I do also sometimes get blurry eyes randomly. The benefit of the medicine and the mental clarity I get is amazing and extremely worth it."

Ashleyzarate14 March 27, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I've been on depakote ER once at bedtime for only 6 weeks and it has cut my migraines in half. Still get my normal headaches as well. Would like to give it more time to see how it works. So far no side effects at all."

Shelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Rubbish med. Ruins liver"

alschuster March 22, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "This review is on behalf of my 16 year old son. Manic Ups and downs for years, between over the top excitement/happiness (rare and short lived) or anger/violence or full depression /sadness. Just trying to help him level out. Has been moved on and off many different medications to try to find a fit. Most recently Dr added depakote to his 900 mg lithium & 15 mg abilify. First four days started with depakote 500 mg; then added another pill to 1000 mg. Started to have digestive issues and tremors but pulled through. Increased to 1500 mg 4 days later which led to more tremors and violent vomitting. Dr suggested splitting the doses am/pm. Within 2 hours of taking the am dose the next day- same violent vomitting. Confirmed no stomach bug. His body was unable to handle the level of Depakote. Now, No longer taking. I've read many positive reviews on this medication , but sadly ours is not one of them due to his adverse reactions."

Still Looking for Answers March 19, 2018