User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Migraine Prevention
6.1

Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 6.6 333 reviews

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

For Bipolar Disorder: "I believe this medication is a blessing! I was started out at 500mg/am and 750/pm. Eventually I was taking 1500mg twice a day. My moods became level, my appetite came back, my sleep was restful, and I felt like the "me" I had been missing."

Queenie (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Been on Depakote and Prozac for three days. I take 20 mg prozac in the morning and 750mg depakote before bed. First day great..I felt better! My mood was noticably happy and I could actually think clearer without being agitated. Second day had trouble sleeping, anxiety, tremors and a little hallucinations. Third day terrible nausea, panic attack, in the bathroom every 20 mins seems like, bedtime abdominal pain and diarrhea. I'm slowly coming off of this med now."

Jill (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Terrible. Absolute poison. I would never ever put that toxic waste in my blood stream again. Depakote is bad."

K (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "First, I was put on Divalproex during a hypomanic episode that wouldn't end even with five different psych drugs. The Divalproex worked quickly to quell the hypomania, but at 1000 mg/day this drug's side effects were unbearable. Chronic diarrhea, rapid weight gain of 30 pounds, shaking hands, finger tremors, excessive tiredness during the day, lack of coordination when walking, lack of concentration, & two thirds of my long hair fell out in clumps. My psychiatrist started lowering the Divalproex gradually down to 500 mg/day, & she withdrew three of the other drugs also. All the side effects subsided. Now I'm just taking 500 mg Divalproex per day along with 40 mg Latuda & my moods have been really stable!"

marCanada (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been suffering from migraines for about 15 years. On average I would have a migraine at least weekly sometimes more. About 8 years ago I started on Depakote. I went from having migraines at least monthly to 1 or 2 a year. The last count was I hadn't had any for over 2 years. Now just recently I started having migraines more frequently. I have experienced some weight gain but not sure if it's the aging process or the meds."

Jim (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 25, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "I have been epileptic since birth. I have been on Depakote ER for over 20 years. I am now on 2500 mg a day(1000mg in the am and 1500 in the pm) for nearly a year at this dose. Thought there was just something wrong me not meaning my epilepsy meds or my epilepsy. I was reading all the comments here and I am definitely going to speak with my neurologist about taking me off my Depakote ER and possibly put a different epilepsy medicine. I was reading through here and many side effects others was or is having with Depakote. I was like oh my goodness that is the same as me. I have much confusion, literally loosing my memory, can't concentrate or focus, migraine headaches have got so bad since I been on this medicine - I cant remember a complete week with no migraines .Everything always so hazy looking, I still have seizures back though they didn't go away the whole time of about 2 years of being on Depakote. I always feel weak and drained, tired all the time ,I switch back and forth from sleepin gway to much to being tired but not able to sleep at all."

Lisa April 18, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "Take 500 mg daily of Depakote. I have taken other epilepsy medications in the past that never caused symptoms quite like Depakote. Memory loss, tiredness, depression, if I forget to take it boom aura then seizure. Or a lot of times a bit after taking it boom severe auras. My doctor however still thinks this medication is the best fit for me. I don't think so. Absolutely hate the side effects of this medication."

Mary R (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm bipolar ll. Recently started Depakote. Started out at 200 mg, now at 800 mg. So far so good. Will write another review in another month or two. I was terrified starting this medicine, but it has been great so far. I'm still not at my target dose, but it has already helped racing thoughts, depression and hypomania. I feel more hopeful, a lot calmer and less stressed out. NO WEIGHT GAIN AT ALL. Not even a single pound. I've actually lost weight. Side effects? The first week I felt more depressed, but it didn't last. Tiredness, nausea and a bit foggy after each increase. Easy peasy. I have tried 15 medicines including Lamotrigine, Trileptal, Abilify, Gabepentin and countless antidepressants. Nothing worked. Fingers crossed. Big hugs to all of you bipolars out there!"

CyclingSarah (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am very pleased so far with my experience taking Depakote. Before Depakote, I was taking seroquel for quite some time (a couple years) and although I was happy on that medicine, I was way too tired. Luckily my solution was Depakote. All I can say is I have tried medicine for 4 years now and it has been a long journey! I will always remember my first time taking Depakote. Normally I get very fearful and panic the med will make me sick. Not Depakote. Instead, I felt immediately better, happy even, and giggled. Once that wore off, I felt normal and slept an hour or two after taking it. I enjoy how I still get tired on this medication like seroquel, but it does not overwhelm my senses with sedation, and fog my memory as much. If anything, I have never been more myself! Only thing is now sometimes I laugh too much."

Carala (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I have a migraine 4 to 6 times per week. I have tried Maxalt, OTC drugs such as Acetaminophen, Excedrin, Advil, PM meds like Advil PM, amitriptyline, and now Depakote. Depakote has done nothing at all to improve my migraines. At this point, I wonder if anything is going to ever help my migraines. All of the meds I mentioned above do not help. I'm at my wit's end. I tried Topamax too a few years ago and it made me so nauseous and didn't help my migraines. I had an MRI done, and the ENT doctor said there were no brain abnormalities seen on the MRI disc. I don't want to be a guinea pig ( hey, try this), or a medical mystery. All I want is some pain relief. Caffeine doesn't help, nor does alcohol. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!"

simkitkat66 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Love it. 15+ years taking it"

Tricia (taken for 10 years or more) March 28, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for : "I have major depressive episodes and have serious derealization when I have these episodes. Depakote has literally been my life saver. I am on a very low dose for a therapeutic treatment- 750mg. Though not a lot, it is the perfect dose for me. I am so much calmer and feel a better type of me than I have in so long. I sometimes forget I struggle with major depression until I skip a dose or forget to take it for a couple of days. I used to be completely anti-meds but when you actually seek treatment and get the right medications it's a life saver! I take 750mg of depakote and 30mg of celexa. My only downside with this med is the weight gain. It will happen if you aren't extremely on top of working out and eating healthy- however I can say that when I did weight watchers and exercised I was successful In losing weight- so it's not necessairly impossible. I do also sometimes get blurry eyes randomly. The benefit of the medicine and the mental clarity I get is amazing and extremely worth it."

Ashleyzarate14 March 27, 2018

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I've been on depakote ER once at bedtime for only 6 weeks and it has cut my migraines in half. Still get my normal headaches as well. Would like to give it more time to see how it works. So far no side effects at all."

Shelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Rubbish med. Ruins liver"

alschuster March 22, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "This review is on behalf of my 16 year old son. Manic Ups and downs for years, between over the top excitement/happiness (rare and short lived) or anger/violence or full depression /sadness. Just trying to help him level out. Has been moved on and off many different medications to try to find a fit. Most recently Dr added depakote to his 900 mg lithium & 15 mg abilify. First four days started with depakote 500 mg; then added another pill to 1000 mg. Started to have digestive issues and tremors but pulled through. Increased to 1500 mg 4 days later which led to more tremors and violent vomitting. Dr suggested splitting the doses am/pm. Within 2 hours of taking the am dose the next day- same violent vomitting. Confirmed no stomach bug. His body was unable to handle the level of Depakote. Now, No longer taking. I've read many positive reviews on this medication , but sadly ours is not one of them due to his adverse reactions."

Still Looking for Answers March 19, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "Lethargy, weight gain, depression, headaches, muscle aches, nausea"

Dee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 35 years ago, but finally received a diagnosis on the bipolar spectrum two years ago at the age of 60. Depakote ER (2000mg at night) fixed things I didn't know were wrong and has stilled the ultradian cycling that was really my problem all along. I feel luck that the only side effects I have encountered are hair loss at first (now resolved) and occasional heartburn. It relieved most of my depressive and hypomanic symptoms within three weeks, but I just added Lamictal to help a little more with depressive symptoms. I take a complicated stack of meds to manage psych. symptoms, but Depakote is by far the most important."

sf100 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been diagnosed as bipolar for 20 years now and just a month ago listed as bipolar 1 severe with mixed moods. This is the only medication that REALLY works to help control my manic moods. ONLY side effect for me is a little bit of shaky hands after taking for a few hours."

Ash11485 January 26, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking depakote @ 1000mg for the past year and a half. I also take risperdol @ 1mg and just added on zoloft @ 100mg as well. The only positive thing this medicine has done for me is rid me of mania. I am constantly depressed and have persistent suicidal/negative thoughts. I feel like I have been sleep walking through my life since I have been put on this medication. Also I have gained 50 pounds and am so hungry all the time. I also have zero libido. When I say zero I mean zero. I have had sex on this medication and it was the most unenjoyable experience ever. Just nothing. Next time I go to see my physiatrist I am going to ask to switch medications. This might work for some but it has not worked for me in the slightest."

teelar (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 20, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Start a few days ago this medicine. So far I'm ok, no side effect. I can sleep all night and wake up rested. All my body pain is almost gone. Calmed my mania and anxiety. Been on Lithium before but was awful with the side effect and the worry to hurt my kidneys. Hoping this medicine works for me."

Liz2018 (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've taken depakote for 13 years along with citalapram. 250 mg depakote with 10 mg of citalapram. It helped with my intense excitability, my severe depression and suicidal thoughts which happened to me 2 weeks out of the month. It was so bad. After taking these meds I felt so much better like a "normal" person. I had no side effects. My symptoms were down to 3 days instead of 3 weeks which I could deal with and didn't want to kill myself anymore. I'm an bipolar and/or pmdd. They are not working for me anymore so I'm going to have to change to something else. Hope this helps someone. :)"

Yellehs (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2018

For Cyclothymic Disorder: "I took depakote two different times, once in 2016 and in 2017. The 5 months I took it in 2016 I noticed I had less ocd and insomnia. My hair got thinner but not so badly and also I felt like I couldn't do activities that requested an intellectual effort. The seconde time I took it for a period of about two months I didn't feel like it slowed me down like the first time, but my hair lost was worse and it made me very hungry. I discontinued it because the hair lost was too much. However it still helped with my ocd and calmness."

Depakotee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2017

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on generic Depakote for 12 years. Prior to it, I took lithium for 28 years. On Depakote, I lost 30 pounds; and did not have hair loss. I do get tired in the afternoon and take a nap. I feel the medication helps me live a good life. I believe I would be dead without medication that keeps me from being manic."

Madoline December 4, 2017

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm going to say this. This medication has been a lifesaver for me. I've been on it for six months now. I take it for migraines, bipolar, and seizures. No noticeable side effects except for a lot of ear popping. I am a lot calmer than what I used to be. My anxiety is still there but it isn't as bad as it was. I can actually function on this medication. My family can be around me now. I used to rapid cycle and have mixed episodes at least ten times a week. Now they're gone. It's nice to be normal for a change. No grandiose delusions. No audible delusions. I am a little bit sleepier than normal. But with a change of diet, I'm okay. No hair falling out. Just the normal hair loss when it comes to the change of weather."

J2 Gal December 1, 2017

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Hi I've recently got married to my partner of 6 yrs, last year he was diagnosed with bipolar he has tried all different kinds of medicine but he’s started a new one call Depakote 5-10-17 for the last 2 weeks he’s had 2 personalities Mr Nice and Mr Horrible it can changed within mins do you think I should contact his doctor or bear with it. He’s never been like this I can’t talk to him, I can’t even look at him without him asking me what my problem is. This is really out of character. He is normal downer I know when they are coming and I can take time out and after 3-4 he’s back to him normal happy self but this I not sure how much more I can cope with!! We have a 5 yr old who keeps saying will daddy get better! I’m just in desperate need for some."

Life15hard (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017