User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Divalproex sodium Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Divalproex sodium to treat Bipolar Disorder

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Best med I've been on for Bipolar I. After 10 years on Lamictal as monotherapy, with continued mania and depression. I was hospitalized and switched to Depakote. I'm sad my doctors didn't try getting rid of the Lamictal sooner. I take 500mg (delayed-release) twice a day and, along with 80mg of Latuda, I haven't felt this stable or anxiety-free since I can remember. I'm not dulled out, back to my normal, serene self. Depakote is known to work wonders for mania, and I can attest to this effect being noticeable right away. I have gained a few pounds but I'm too happy with how calm, collected, and lucid I feel to think about letting Depakote go. No other side effects, and I don't find it highly sedating -- guess I'm one of the lucky ones."

FuckLamictal (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depakote was a nightmare. Besides having acute, non-stop stomach pain with chronic diahrrea, my hair started falling out in clumps. Good thing I have thick hair or I could have been bald at the end of this drug. I don't recommend this to anyone. It was like taking poison."

Velveteen Rabbit (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Only my depressions cause me problems, for which Epival (Divalproex Sodium) was entirely useless, even after a few months. Lithium and especially Lamotrigine proved much better options for me."

Canada345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have struggled silently with impulses to self-destruct/self-injure for many years. Various things would trigger episodes, frustrating conversations. Some temptations were very strong, and sometimes I quickly self-injured. I let people think I was suicidal, and therapists were geared to interpret that way, but it wasn't that; it was overwhelming impulses to hurt myself, which I couldn't explain and felt humiliated about. Then I got to a very good psychiatrist, who put me on Divalproex extended-release pills, which I take at night. While I am groggy in the morning, and feel tired in the afternoon, and sometimes require a nap. Recently, I've been triggered, but the impulse to hurt myself was much less. The drug was to slow things down."

Secret struggler February 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The generic Depakote immediately and effectively controlled my mania, and smoothed out my moods. In combination, I take two anti-depressants, Wellbutrin and Lexapro (both generic). This 3-prong regimen is very effective for me in controlling my bipolar disporder."

Tektonik66 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just took my first dose & am hopeful yet apprehensive. Hoping to see what others are experiencing."

Neu (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I have been through so many medications it's ridiculous... most of them didn't work AND caused severe side effects. The last one I was on before Depakote was lamotrigine (which really is better for bipolar II, from what I understand). I tend to run very manic (and don't have a thyroid anymore - cancer), so my doc and I decided this would probably be my best option. None of the new drugs worked on me. Depakote has been amazing. I can think a lot more clearly and I'm still me - just a lot more toned down. I've had no negative side effects except a slight tremor, but I'm also on xanax for severe anxiety, so its only noticeable when it's time for that. No weight gain, either. In fact, my appetite decreased. I haven't gained or lost, really."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It has worked well for me I was taking I can't even remember what that made me sleepy all the time and I did feel like a zombie. My doctor kept Zolof 100mg along with Depakote 500mg due to my panic attacks. After about a year we tried taking Zolof off but Depakote alone did not work for me. The combination did help my life a lot, more focused, I feel like I can organize my thoughts, get things done, follow through on plans... it changed my life for the better. The constant hunger and putting on weigh are a sadly too true for me, but given the improvement in the quality of life it gave me I find it a small price to pay. Also now that I am more focused I find it easier to actually get to the gym to work on loosing those 14 pounds."

hypomania (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Didn't realize how great it was till it was gone. After 4 years of failed cocktails until I found Depekote with Zoloft. I was on it for 3-5 months @1250mg and had Excessive Weight gain, insatiable hunger,,,BUT Worth it! I was productive, positive, stabilzed, making plans and following thru. Then Liver enzymes high @ 6 mo. and abruptly taken off ... Horrible move by panicked Doctor. On my third medicine since and all bad results. Any opinions on Depokote retry while protecting my liver with Milk Thistle & Turmeric? My last blood work was best its ever been. I have no faith in my Dr and am seeking a new."

Karyn 44ys Single Female (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I take depakote 500mg extended release at night for bipolar. Mostly mania. I like depakote because it keeps me leveled. I feel normal. No mania. No depression. I do sometimes have trouble sleeping but not much. I have felt nauseous but I'm gonna go to my primary doctor because my psych says the nausea would've happened in the beginning of depakote and I've been on it for a while so probably not caused by depakote. Anyone taking depakote, make sure you go to your follow ups to check liver enzymes in your blood since it can cause liver damage. Overall I think depakote is effective for me. I tried lamictal and abilify and I hated them. They made my ankles swell up to 4 times their size. My ankles were very red and painful and swollen."

M M 555 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "My moods are better controlled. I feel more emotionally stable and physically calm. My husband has noticed a huge change in my moods and patterns."

Lavender pink78 November 2, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worked well, controlled my mood swings and hallucinations. Unfortunately I gained 100 pounds in a year and a half. Also remember to get your bloodwork done. My blood pressure and blood sugar shot up really bad."

Spleener (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "this medicine works fairly well, i take the appropriate dosage, no complaints but weight gain."

jodubz October 8, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I started depakote 3,000mg straight off when I was 15 years old I have since been taken off from it and still paying the price for it. It made me hungry constantly i gained a total of 50 pounds in 7 months I had no energy at all and no feelings no happy thoughts no sad thoughts I was literally a zombie and now I'm still seeing new doctors and switching meds all the time and I've had enough nothing is working and no one can help me I really need help and can't find it anywhere"

1ks October 4, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"While new to depakote, I'm not really sure this med is helping my bipolar disorder. I was on lithium er for five years and life was good, no night terrors, no mania, low level depression events at times and I was nice or cordial with people but tremors got so bad couldn't do much of anything With the depakote the night terrors are horrific at best, think I'm rapid cycling, mania appears out of the blue and depression I don't want to think about. Is it the dosage or that I'm new to depakote. Any insight appreciated"

Zoey's mom September 16, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I have Bipolar 1 rapid cycling and life was hell. Manic episodes were a little intense but the depression is what really killed me. It got worse and worse over time to the point I felt numb to the world. Life sucked and I wanted out. After taking many medications that didn't work (Abilify and Lithium to name a few) so I ended up in a mental hospital where they finally gave me Depakote. It literally SAVED MY LIFE!! I feel normal and stable for the first time in my life and I couldn't be happier. Im enjoying every second of my life now. God bless this drug (:"

SplashMaster6 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I was suffering from bipolar for 10 months. After taking many medicines i was on divalproex 500 mg for 3 years and lamotrigine 150mg for 2 years. I was able to handle stress and forget that i have any depression. My dosage for both was kept to lowest 250 mg for divalproex and 50 mg for lamotrigine. But on this stage after having stress my symptoms reuccured but was not severe as before. I will have too increase the dose again."

Huzaiff (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 5, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I have major bi-polar disorder as well as severe depression and PTSD. This med (along with Seroquel and Wellbutrin) has been a literal lifesaver. For the first time in my life my moods are stable as well as manageable."

TLGeer September 1, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Was on this drug for about four years with Wellbutrin. The combination worked well for the first three years; however developed severe tremors and other side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depikote was prescribed to me after 2 manic episodes. I've been on a lot of bipolar meds so many that have made me so depressed I spent a whole summer in bed. Depikote def saved my life. It's been a year now a little anxiety but not nearly as much as I've had in the past and a little weight gain and tiredness. But no mania and very little to no depression so thankyou depikote I rate u a 10 it's been a year and no mania :) ur a life saver I take 1500 mg though to so that might be y I'm so tired"

46j1592i August 18, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "After my first manic episode at 39, was hospitalized and chose Depakote over Risperdal due to weight gain fears. It's been 2 weeks and along with intensive therapy and healthy lifestyle it's definitely brought me back to reality"

Bipolar 1 recently diagnosed (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "2007 - Put on 750 mg/day of Depakote alongside Lithium 800 mg/day. Killed libido stone dead. Did not help stabilise mood but worked away destabilising good lithium effect. Found this out after stopping Depakote 2014. Depakote has caused prostate cancer which was removed by radical prostatectomy June 2014. So it has caused me to be severely incontinent now, with erectile dysfunction. This month June 2016 it has been confirmed I have Multiple Myeloma a blood cancer. Depakote is the suspected trigger again. These effects result from being put on Depakote for seven years with no investigation of physical symptoms being reported to "psychiatric professionals""

Sion (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I took my first dose of Depakote at night before bed. The next day I was so leveled out; I wasn't talking fast it was great. The rest of the day starting around 1:00 p.m. I slept all day. I woke up at 12:00 a.m. with my eyes extremely wide and dilated, my skin on my arms and legs was swirling (like the Starry Night painting), the walls were moving and things on the wall were levitating up and down. I was up until 3:00 a.m. and an on call nurse told me to sleep so it would wear off; I have never taken this medication again. (Taken for Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar type)"

TamaraAngel (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I started taking Divalproex(Depakote)250mg on June 10th and than on June 17th I was admitted into a psychiatric hospital because of my bipolar. I learned from the psychiatrist there that the dosage I was on was absolutely nothing and would have no effect on me. The psychiatrist ended up raising the dose to 750mg. I definetly can tell that my mood is leveled out for the most part. I would recommended this to people with bipolar and people with seizures(I was diagnosed a few years ago with non eptiletic seizures). So far I dont see any side effects, thank God. I take this medication at night along with: Aripiprazole(Abilify)15mg Trazodone(Desyrel)50mg Hydroxyzine(Vistaril)50mg Clonazepam(Klonopin)1mg"

StayStrongJustBreath92 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depakote put about 60 pounds on me. It did nothing for my mood accept make me a zombie. I sat around and did nothing. I had no energy, my skin itched non-stop, I developed migraine headaches and felt plain shitty all over. My muscles ached, stomach/abdomen hurt. I complained about it and my doctor upped the dose and I was on 2000 mg xr when I could not stand it any longer. I took myself off of it and have changed doctors. I hope this one will listen to what I say."

info2pondergmail.com (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 22, 2016