User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Divalproex sodium Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Divalproex sodium to treat Bipolar Disorder

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Was on this drug for about four years with Wellbutrin. The combination worked well for the first three years; however developed severe tremors and other side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depikote was prescribed to me after 2 manic episodes. I've been on a lot of bipolar meds so many that have made me so depressed I spent a whole summer in bed. Depikote def saved my life. It's been a year now a little anxiety but not nearly as much as I've had in the past and a little weight gain and tiredness. But no mania and very little to no depression so thankyou depikote I rate u a 10 it's been a year and no mania :) ur a life saver I take 1500 mg though to so that might be y I'm so tired"

46j1592i August 18, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "After my first manic episode at 39, was hospitalized and chose Depakote over Risperdal due to weight gain fears. It's been 2 weeks and along with intensive therapy and healthy lifestyle it's definitely brought me back to reality"

Bipolar 1 recently diagnosed (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "2007 - Put on 750 mg/day of Depakote alongside Lithium 800 mg/day. Killed libido stone dead. Did not help stabilise mood but worked away destabilising good lithium effect. Found this out after stopping Depakote 2014. Depakote has caused prostate cancer which was removed by radical prostatectomy June 2014. So it has caused me to be severely incontinent now, with erectile dysfunction. This month June 2016 it has been confirmed I have Multiple Myeloma a blood cancer. Depakote is the suspected trigger again. These effects result from being put on Depakote for seven years with no investigation of physical symptoms being reported to "psychiatric professionals""

Sion (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I took my first dose of Depakote at night before bed. The next day I was so leveled out; I wasn't talking fast it was great. The rest of the day starting around 1:00 p.m. I slept all day. I woke up at 12:00 a.m. with my eyes extremely wide and dilated, my skin on my arms and legs was swirling (like the Starry Night painting), the walls were moving and things on the wall were levitating up and down. I was up until 3:00 a.m. and an on call nurse told me to sleep so it would wear off; I have never taken this medication again. (Taken for Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar type)"

TamaraAngel (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I started taking Divalproex(Depakote)250mg on June 10th and than on June 17th I was admitted into a psychiatric hospital because of my bipolar. I learned from the psychiatrist there that the dosage I was on was absolutely nothing and would have no effect on me. The psychiatrist ended up raising the dose to 750mg. I definetly can tell that my mood is leveled out for the most part. I would recommended this to people with bipolar and people with seizures(I was diagnosed a few years ago with non eptiletic seizures). So far I dont see any side effects, thank God. I take this medication at night along with: Aripiprazole(Abilify)15mg Trazodone(Desyrel)50mg Hydroxyzine(Vistaril)50mg Clonazepam(Klonopin)1mg"

StayStrongJustBreath92 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depakote put about 60 pounds on me. It did nothing for my mood accept make me a zombie. I sat around and did nothing. I had no energy, my skin itched non-stop, I developed migraine headaches and felt plain shitty all over. My muscles ached, stomach/abdomen hurt. I complained about it and my doctor upped the dose and I was on 2000 mg xr when I could not stand it any longer. I took myself off of it and have changed doctors. I hope this one will listen to what I say."

info2pondergmail.com (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 22, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I was treated for clinical depression from age 18-40 using a variety of medications. I've also struggled with alcoholism, drug and sex addiction most of my adult life. I had a period of six years' solid sobriety beginning in the mid 90's but, even sober, battled with diagnosed clinical depression. At that time I was being treated with Serzone. The more the doctor increased the dosage the more depressed I would become. I obsessed on failed relationships, acted out sexually and financially in very risky ways. I finally changed Psychiatrists at the suggestion of my Therapist. The new doctor analyzed my symptoms and indicated that I had been misdiagnosed with clinical depression. His prognosis was Bipolar II Disorder accompanied by acute depression"

NunyaSAT (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I've been taking this for a few years and I have severe headaches often along with suffering with low back pain which is constant on my left side and nothing is soothing it. Laying down is excruciating and I'm in the process of running test. This started about 4 months ago and I have been trying to deal with it and hope that it would eventually go away. It's becoming unbearable."

Langelle23 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Noticed that depakote improved stability of mood and reduced depression. However, it did not help with mania mood swings. This drug also totally removed my libido. I have never experienced such an inability for sexual activity than while taking this drug. A week after stopping the drug and sexual libido is back. I would avoid this drug if male."

Manuel231 May 15, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "Depakote has worked great for me. It totally helps with mania. The only medication that clears up my head and makes me feel normal. Also it gets rid of my migranes. The only bad thing is a few side effects. I gained weight and my hair fell out. And I was pretty lathargic at first. Takes a while but once it kicks in I felt like a whole person. I was off of it for a long time and recently was put back on it so going through side effects again but felt a difference rite away."

jamel102065 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "Honestly this medicine has saved my life! I went from having multiple long lasting episodes of mania to none. Ya i still get the thoughts but im relaxed and able to make conscious choices now that im on it. The only negative side affect is the hair loss but its temporary, but so worth it. Nothing is better than feeling like you are in control of yourself, and this medicine does this for you dont be scared to ask your doctor about it!"

Susyg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Really intense side effects. Weight gain, zombie like behavior, etc."

rxqp89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I took Depakote 500mg for a week then increased my dose to 1000mg after the next week. The next day I began having terrible stomach pains and pains in my kidneys, especially after eating. I emailed my doctor and he told me the side effects would subside but they didn't. They actually got worse and the abdominal pain would linger all day and night. I also had a hard time sleeping, I would wake up every 1-2 hours and sleep less than 6 hours a night, along with having very vivid dreams. The dreams later got more and more violent/terrifying and I began to fall into a very deep depression, one I had never felt in my entire life. I stopped taking this medication after three weeks. I will never take this medication even if it saved my life."

Bipolar2 April 2, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "Have been taking this med since 1992 w/ some breaks here and there. I too have been on, what would seem, every med for Bipolar diagnosis. I take 1750mg and also take 400mg of Lamictal (another mood stabilizer which seems to help with the depression) My only issue had been weight gain which remains a problem. 10 years stable, after being hospitalized for 8 months due to manic episode and psychotic break (was only taking Topamax at that time). Would highly recommend."

blessed5# March 11, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Diagnosed 6 years ago as Bipolar 2 after 20 years of being all over the place. crazy ups/back downs but only ever treated for depression, I was put on a variety of medications in the first year that made me so ill, weight gains/losses, irrational thoughts/ideas, constantly felt ill with colds/flu had to keep changing medications and doses to see if they would work, then given Depakote, wow I felt human again within 2 weeks, settled, calm, clear head no side effects, its done wonders for me that no other got close to, I have my life back"

Ekomoon (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I am not very fond of Depakote. When I took it it didn't improve my moodswings that much. In the beginning it made me nauseous & caused my hair to fall out. No, I didn't go bald, but it thinned out my hair enough that my hairstylist noticed. Eventually, my hair stopped falling out, but I gained a lot of weight & I had very bad tremors & bad coordination. If you do decide to take this medicine make sure your doctor tests your blood regularly. I think you are supposed to have your blood tested every 6 months."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I have been on depakote for about six months for bipolar II after being taken off lithium, I am feeling more like myself but still feel a slight emptiness and falseness, I am also taking lamotrigene and pregablin for extreme anxiety. I have put on nearly a stone in six months, I am also being tested for ADHD, I am 48 yrs old and have had this from when I was a child, when you have grown up with this you do not know any different until you become very ill, sorry for the rambling not sure if it makes sense. x"

amsay January 15, 2016

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "This drug took me out of a downward spiraling mixed episode, for that I'm thankful. However, being BiPolar II, the initial dosage of 1750 mg. which was never recommended to lower after its effectiveness had been reached, almost put me right back to where I was. I wouldn't recommend this drug if you're on the depressive side of BiPolar, or for any length of time/dosage that the medication isn't even recommended to be used for. I've since switched to Lamictal, will see how it goes."

HappytoB (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I am honestly the happiest person ever since my Psychiatrist prescribed Depakote for me, NO MORE RAPID CYCLING!! I take two 500mg tablets about 20 minutes minutes before bed and I sleep throughout only waking up when my back aching in pain; I'll save that for my Baclofen and Prednisone post. I do not experience the manic highs as I was once did; however I still have my low days but everyone does! My low days are no where near the days when I on Trileptal or any SSRIs. I was taking Ability and Lithium for a week (this is my experience) I started seeing the world in two-dimensions, sort of like the early Nintendo characters. I freaking out!! That was it. Make sure to get blood tests every months to ensure your Depakote are in line. A "

dsran87 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Best medicine I've been on !!!! Focused,low anxiety,sleeping well no night terrors ."

Happyintexas (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "My doc switched me from Prozac & Abilify to Depakote ER 500mg at bed time. I've been taking Depakote ER 500mg for almost 4 months now. Everyone in my life has noticed a positive change in me. I feel so calm within. My anxiety & insomnia are very much under control now. I'vw suffeerd with bipolar since my teens. I am 38yrs old. Depakote ER 500 has saved my life! I was done with psych meds & ready to just give up! I'm so glad I have such an amazing doc. No more changing my meds. Depakote ER 500mg in combo with Xanax 1mg 3x's per day has me back to feeling like myself again. Also, I don't need to take the xanax everyday or 3x's per day anymore. The Depakote ER 500mg works for numerous disorders I suffer from. I could go on about the pro's of this med."

Surviver (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar II. This medication has been a life saver (literally) for me. It has helped keep my emotions in check. I took another medication lamicital that caused one continuous headache that never went away. My psychiatrist started me on a low dose of that medication so I wouldn't get a deadly rash. My emotions were all over the place and I was miserable. My psychiatrist put me on Depakote. At first this medication made me sluggish and hungry. I gained 5 lbs in the first 2 weeks. Since then I have laid off the snacks and beverages and have since gotten adjusted to the meds (also taking Zoloft). Three pounds have come off without trying. Each person is different, but this has really worked for me."

clemsontigergrl (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I've taken a lot of meds in 19 years and took Depakote for around 1 yr. Weight gain about same as Lithium. This drug gave me hallucinations at night and freaked me out big time. Beware. I didn't hallucinate before the drug and now that I've stopped it 6 months ago - no Depakote = no hallucinations"

Medbag December 2, 2015

"I think it works some what. Still feel a little crazy towards people but a little bit more calmer but makes me tired very tired. I was supposed to be on Seroquel but even with good insurance still 500 dollars! But only been on this a week will give it a chance Thanks"

John from Appleton November 13, 2015