User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Divalproex sodium Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Divalproex sodium to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I can't rate it yet but I gave it a 5 because it's been about 5 days. I've noticed a calm relax feeling. Normally after I exercise, I still have energy. Since I've started to take it, I've noticed a good calm relax tired feeling. Not a drowsy tired, which is good. Also, I'm noticing an attitude switch for the good. As for weight gain, nothing yet and I hope it stays that way. I'm eating much better and exercising more to balance just in case. I definitely feel a change for the good. Hopefully this is a fix until I can do it off medicine. If not, it is what it is. I'll keep an open mind. Let me know if anyone has anything different."

Joseph Robinson Jr September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Love this medication, after 2-3 years of severe long lasting manic episodes finally decided to take meds full time. Hardly any side effects, very hungry, simply eat normally and you wont put weight on, the medication doesn't make you fat, eating does. Occasionally very tired and my stomach from time to time gets a little funny, just take with lots of water and food. Very calm, can concentrate, no racing thoughts, level, basically gave me my life back, works well at 750 even though I'm 80kgs, Dr upped me to 1000mg but felt too sedated so dropped back down. I move to 1000mg if I feel like I'm starting to drift a little for a few weeks then move back. However, this is the 7th med I have tried, all others have failed, never write one med off"

qwertyazsxdc (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I started Depakote ER 2000mg at bedtime about a year ago after decades of ineffective treatment for depression and anxiety. Depakote proved that I was misdiagnosed: it quickly alleviated my psych. symptoms and allowed me to reduce Xanax XR dose by half and eliminate PRN Xanax. I haven't experienced the weight loss side effect, but did lose a lot of hair at first. The hair seems to be thickening up now. I would give it 10 stars except for the hair loss."

LAGuy (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So weird everyone complains of weight gain. This drug (divaproex sodium) makes me lose weight to the point it's actually a bit alarming. Appetite completely gone. I've stopped and started 3-5 times as I never take anything more than a year without stopping. Every time I take it like this week for example I started at 151 pounds 5"7 female. I don't work out or exercise ever and have dropped 12 pounds in 3 days. It actually usually gets so bad I have to go talk to my doctor about my weight loss. I can stomach food but it comes out in liquid form within 15 mins and clears my system. This drug is a major weight loss drug from me. I know everytime I start it it's a given I will be losing 10 pounds minimum. Good for mood."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After two valiant attempts to get past the adverse effects, I'm finished with Depakote. The first attempt lasted a week; as it can exaggerate the effects of other meds, I became so drowsy I couldn't drive. For the second attempt, it wasn't combined with any other medication and lasted 3 weeks. I felt continually agitated and anxious, began to quickly gain weight, had terrible gas and was going to the bathroom 4-5 times a day. Additionally, my hair began to fall out so quickly, even my husband noticed (and he's NOT very observant!). The most disturbing symptom was the frequent presence of pronounced, irregular heart beats and at least one near-syncopal episode. All this in just 21 days- thanks but no thanks!"

Undun (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Best med I've been on for Bipolar I. After 10 years on Lamictal as monotherapy, with continued mania and depression. I was hospitalized and switched to Depakote. I'm sad my doctors didn't try getting rid of the Lamictal sooner. I take 500mg (delayed-release) twice a day and, along with 80mg of Latuda, I haven't felt this stable or anxiety-free since I can remember. I'm not dulled out, back to my normal, serene self. Depakote is known to work wonders for mania, and I can attest to this effect being noticeable right away. I have gained a few pounds but I'm too happy with how calm, collected, and lucid I feel to think about letting Depakote go. No other side effects, and I don't find it highly sedating -- guess I'm one of the lucky ones."

FuckLamictal (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depakote was a nightmare. Besides having acute, non-stop stomach pain with chronic diahrrea, my hair started falling out in clumps. Good thing I have thick hair or I could have been bald at the end of this drug. I don't recommend this to anyone. It was like taking poison."

Velveteen Rabbit (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only my depressions cause me problems, for which Epival (Divalproex Sodium) was entirely useless, even after a few months. Lithium and especially Lamotrigine proved much better options for me."

Canada345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have struggled silently with impulses to self-destruct/self-injure for many years. Various things would trigger episodes, frustrating conversations. Some temptations were very strong, and sometimes I quickly self-injured. I let people think I was suicidal, and therapists were geared to interpret that way, but it wasn't that; it was overwhelming impulses to hurt myself, which I couldn't explain and felt humiliated about. Then I got to a very good psychiatrist, who put me on Divalproex extended-release pills, which I take at night. While I am groggy in the morning, and feel tired in the afternoon, and sometimes require a nap. Recently, I've been triggered, but the impulse to hurt myself was much less. The drug was to slow things down."

Secret struggler February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The generic Depakote immediately and effectively controlled my mania, and smoothed out my moods. In combination, I take two anti-depressants, Wellbutrin and Lexapro (both generic). This 3-prong regimen is very effective for me in controlling my bipolar disporder."

Tektonik66 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just took my first dose & am hopeful yet apprehensive. Hoping to see what others are experiencing."

Neu (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I have been through so many medications it's ridiculous... most of them didn't work AND caused severe side effects. The last one I was on before Depakote was lamotrigine (which really is better for bipolar II, from what I understand). I tend to run very manic (and don't have a thyroid anymore - cancer), so my doc and I decided this would probably be my best option. None of the new drugs worked on me. Depakote has been amazing. I can think a lot more clearly and I'm still me - just a lot more toned down. I've had no negative side effects except a slight tremor, but I'm also on xanax for severe anxiety, so its only noticeable when it's time for that. No weight gain, either. In fact, my appetite decreased. I haven't gained or lost, really."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has worked well for me I was taking I can't even remember what that made me sleepy all the time and I did feel like a zombie. My doctor kept Zolof 100mg along with Depakote 500mg due to my panic attacks. After about a year we tried taking Zolof off but Depakote alone did not work for me. The combination did help my life a lot, more focused, I feel like I can organize my thoughts, get things done, follow through on plans... it changed my life for the better. The constant hunger and putting on weigh are a sadly too true for me, but given the improvement in the quality of life it gave me I find it a small price to pay. Also now that I am more focused I find it easier to actually get to the gym to work on loosing those 14 pounds."

hypomania (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Didn't realize how great it was till it was gone. After 4 years of failed cocktails until I found Depekote with Zoloft. I was on it for 3-5 months @1250mg and had Excessive Weight gain, insatiable hunger,,,BUT Worth it! I was productive, positive, stabilzed, making plans and following thru. Then Liver enzymes high @ 6 mo. and abruptly taken off ... Horrible move by panicked Doctor. On my third medicine since and all bad results. Any opinions on Depokote retry while protecting my liver with Milk Thistle & Turmeric? My last blood work was best its ever been. I have no faith in my Dr and am seeking a new."

Karyn 44ys Single Female (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I take depakote 500mg extended release at night for bipolar. Mostly mania. I like depakote because it keeps me leveled. I feel normal. No mania. No depression. I do sometimes have trouble sleeping but not much. I have felt nauseous but I'm gonna go to my primary doctor because my psych says the nausea would've happened in the beginning of depakote and I've been on it for a while so probably not caused by depakote. Anyone taking depakote, make sure you go to your follow ups to check liver enzymes in your blood since it can cause liver damage. Overall I think depakote is effective for me. I tried lamictal and abilify and I hated them. They made my ankles swell up to 4 times their size. My ankles were very red and painful and swollen."

M M 555 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "My moods are better controlled. I feel more emotionally stable and physically calm. My husband has noticed a huge change in my moods and patterns."

Lavender pink78 November 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked well, controlled my mood swings and hallucinations. Unfortunately I gained 100 pounds in a year and a half. Also remember to get your bloodwork done. My blood pressure and blood sugar shot up really bad."

Spleener (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "this medicine works fairly well, i take the appropriate dosage, no complaints but weight gain."

jodubz October 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I started depakote 3,000mg straight off when I was 15 years old I have since been taken off from it and still paying the price for it. It made me hungry constantly i gained a total of 50 pounds in 7 months I had no energy at all and no feelings no happy thoughts no sad thoughts I was literally a zombie and now I'm still seeing new doctors and switching meds all the time and I've had enough nothing is working and no one can help me I really need help and can't find it anywhere"

1ks October 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While new to depakote, I'm not really sure this med is helping my bipolar disorder. I was on lithium er for five years and life was good, no night terrors, no mania, low level depression events at times and I was nice or cordial with people but tremors got so bad couldn't do much of anything With the depakote the night terrors are horrific at best, think I'm rapid cycling, mania appears out of the blue and depression I don't want to think about. Is it the dosage or that I'm new to depakote. Any insight appreciated"

Zoey's mom September 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I have Bipolar 1 rapid cycling and life was hell. Manic episodes were a little intense but the depression is what really killed me. It got worse and worse over time to the point I felt numb to the world. Life sucked and I wanted out. After taking many medications that didn't work (Abilify and Lithium to name a few) so I ended up in a mental hospital where they finally gave me Depakote. It literally SAVED MY LIFE!! I feel normal and stable for the first time in my life and I couldn't be happier. Im enjoying every second of my life now. God bless this drug (:"

SplashMaster6 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I was suffering from bipolar for 10 months. After taking many medicines i was on divalproex 500 mg for 3 years and lamotrigine 150mg for 2 years. I was able to handle stress and forget that i have any depression. My dosage for both was kept to lowest 250 mg for divalproex and 50 mg for lamotrigine. But on this stage after having stress my symptoms reuccured but was not severe as before. I will have too increase the dose again."

Huzaiff (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I have major bi-polar disorder as well as severe depression and PTSD. This med (along with Seroquel and Wellbutrin) has been a literal lifesaver. For the first time in my life my moods are stable as well as manageable."

TLGeer September 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Was on this drug for about four years with Wellbutrin. The combination worked well for the first three years; however developed severe tremors and other side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depikote was prescribed to me after 2 manic episodes. I've been on a lot of bipolar meds so many that have made me so depressed I spent a whole summer in bed. Depikote def saved my life. It's been a year now a little anxiety but not nearly as much as I've had in the past and a little weight gain and tiredness. But no mania and very little to no depression so thankyou depikote I rate u a 10 it's been a year and no mania :) ur a life saver I take 1500 mg though to so that might be y I'm so tired"

46j1592i August 18, 2016