User Reviews for Divalproex sodium to treat Mania

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Divalproex sodium has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 27 ratings for the treatment of Mania. 63% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Divalproex sodium Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Mania.

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “Depakote has helped my racing thoughts and anxiety so much. I take depakote DR in the morning with my lamictal it’s great for racing thoughts. Depakote can make you kind of tired one reason why I’m on lamictal ! I’m on 250 mg will increase to 500 soon.”

gf · Taken for 10 years or more May 28, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “I have taken Depakote (or a 'good' generic) of this medication for nearly 3 decades. It is very effective, has few side effects (with the exception of weight gain which is responsive to diet and exercise). This is a far more effective and moderate drug than what I was initially prescribed (Lithium-on which I hallucinated and felt terrible). I've had no long term effects to date, maintain my dosage and lead a healthy life with this medication. Be careful when using GENERICS...some vary immensely. Let your doctor and pharmacist know immediately if you have issues. (IE: Find the right generic or return to the original Depakote brand). Lovely and effective for a "unipolar" patient that I am.”

Gabbie · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 17, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “I was prescribed Depakote ER 500mg to help my anxiety and it has decreased my anxiety 90%. It has made a huge difference in my quality of life. The best part is that it’s been on the market for many, many years, is affordable and has no long term dangers. Do try it, I hate pills but this one is worth it if you are anxious and/or depressed.”

SO January 27, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “I have been on antidepressants and benzodiazepines for over thirty years for depression anxiety and racing thoughts from the anxiety. Started Depakote ten days ago and it has made an amazing difference, slowed my mind down enough to significantly reduce my anxiousness, only side effect mild tiredness no groggy feelings this has been so wonderful.”

Anonymous April 4, 2011

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “So glad I had the opportunity to read how others feel about Depakote. I have used Depakote for 8 years now for the manic side of bipolar disorder. I have not had one manic episode since on the medication. Great right? I also feel as though the past 8 years of my life have slipped by and are a bit of a blur. I was an artist, graphic designer, and had a sense of humor. Now I feel like a numb hermit who continues to stay on this medication because she doesnt want another manic episode.”

mdan March 26, 2008

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “I have been using Depakote for nearly eight years now and has kept my mania episodes under control. The only thing is I have weight gain from using this medication but thats a small price to pay. thank you”

knopie September 24, 2008

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “This stuff works great. I have recommended this medication to many ohters who have similar symptoms regarding bi-polar and hyprer-mania. I am very fortunate to have been diagnosed correctly and to have been treated correctly with Depakote. I have noticed the changes myself and so have many others.”

Anonymous April 6, 2008

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “i have been using depakote for over one year and it has helped me with my manic episodes, i have not had any since i started the medicine, it does not however do much in regards to racing thoughts and helping me stay positive. hoping for a cure : )”

Nosoupforyou August 4, 2009

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “I was in a manic state, unable to sleep, racing thoughts. My doctor prescribed Depakote. This was a miracle drug for me! My manic state dissipated, along with the severe anxiety. I was able to sleep.”

Ross October 31, 2019

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “My mother who has a mental disability and is 56 years old was prescribed this medication twice while residing in a long term care facility under the reasons of "behavior." The first time she was on approximately 1000mg and it made her sleep for hours, put her in a fog, made her delay in response if she even responded at all. I asked several times for her to be taken off of the medicine and the facility was disagreeable. She was hospitalized for malnutrition and severe dehydration where I was able to convince the doctors to remove most of the dosage. They kept her on a low dosage between 125mg to 250mg. She did fine, three years later they increased the med to approximately 500 mg and put her on more behavior meds. Same thing happened, went back to hospital this time with sepsis in the blood from lack of hydration and UTI. This medicine is good for some and not for others, doctors should listen when expressing concerns and symptoms caused by this med.”

taylz May 4, 2009

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “I cannot account for those with Bi-Polar I, but this may apply to you if you have been diagnosed with social anxiety, Bipolar II or a mild form of the disorder. On 1000mg (combined with 200mg Lamictal) I felt "far away" when talking to people. I cut back down to 500mg. I began to feel it was inhibiting my creativity; sometimes I felt "dumb." I used other drugs to combat the Depakote from holding me back. Plus drinking on it caused depression and knocked me out. My doctor should not have put me on this medication to treat me for anxiety.”

Lwacherokee October 6, 2009

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “I have been on Depakote for 4 years now and I haven't had an episode of Hypermania. This has changed my life. I have gained about 40 pounds but it is a small price to pay for the positive changes. I control the anxiety with occasional klonopin. I am working on healthy diet and exercise for the weight.”

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 21, 2016

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “Good medicine. Blood tests are annoying. I wet the bed a couple nights a week on this med because it knocked me out. It takes a while to get used to but it's overall not that bad of a med. Works well for mania.”

popeye1167 August 19, 2008

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): “Great medicine, it's the only one that stops the agitation that comes with being too manic for too long. It keeps me from crashing after mania because the mania never peeks. I would have given it a 10, but sometimes a little coffee can make me get manic even though I have taken the medicine.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 26, 2012

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): “Depakote has really helped to get me out of the fog of mania. By the same token, so has lithium. I have found, though, that taking both together (by a doctor's suggestion) keeps the number of episodes pretty low. I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes when I get manic, I spiral out of control and actually experience psychosis ( which is terrible). Good medicine though...better with other medicines.”

Anonymous1234282882 August 18, 2016

“This drug really helped me! I noticed a huge difference almost immediately and so did others around me. It helped me put down the bottle and focus on daily tasks along with not freaking out on other drivers with road rage as I previously would do. I would definitely recommend trying it, at least. As far as the weight gain aspect, that's kind of in my favor because it was always hard for me to keep weight on/gain weight. So I'm happy to gain some weight. I gained about 10 lbs in a week or two. That being said, it has become a chore to constantly be eating & only eating healthy foods due to my extremely high triglycerides (genetic).”

iniromls · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2014

“I feel sane and stable after being on divalproex for only a short time. The violent, gripping anxiety is gone for the first time in years. My doc gave it to me to help once I realized the suicidal thoughts I was having were caused by the fluoxetine (SSRI) I had been using for my obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety.”

Anonymous July 31, 2008

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “This to me is a wonder drug. I have been using it for 20 years now.”

Anonymous April 13, 2009

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “Helps me to focus and organize thoughts. This drug works very well with moderate exercise.”

catfoot March 16, 2009

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “I have had great success with this in conjunction with low doses of Prozac. The combination does a great deal to still the racing thoughts and anxiety.”

skeeter1 March 18, 2009

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “I've been taking Depakote for eight years and have not had a manic episode. I had two severe manic episodes prior.”

Ryun · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “I didn’t care for it. On one it just made me sleep. When it got moved up it just made me more manic.”

Anonymous September 25, 2009

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “It made my mania go away. I was less tense and more calm... but it seemed to increase my anxiety.”

Porch Honkey · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): “Depakote is helping my anxiety and resulting alcohol abuse. It is not a "cure" for drinking heavily, it does make it much easier to maintain though.”

Lilraidermom September 8, 2009

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): “I have been taking Depakote ER for about 9 months. I have found it helpful for the mania. The bad side effect is that I gained about 30pounds.”

lzemanek July 24, 2008

Depakote Sprinkles (divalproex sodium): “I am very new at taking this drug for bipolar. I was on Lithium and stopped it due to the weight gain. So far, it's been 2 days and I already feel good.”

sockfairy May 13, 2015

“It's good for mood stabilization, but I want off, I want to switch. My doctors won't listen. The weight gain is terrible, and I'm exhausted all of the time. I feel hopeless and helpless.”

eg145 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2014

“Very fast onset to terminate mania”

Learn more about Mania