User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Depression

"I started taking Abilify to compliment years of taking Effexor. I am on 5 mg, and am experiencing many of the symptoms I am reading about here - weight gain, feelings of emptiness, and craving for sweets. The good part of it is all the depressing and worrisome voices are out of my head. The bad thing is the emptiness, but I figure I should filling that void with good things - hobbies, music, more quality time with my beautiful wife. Maybe that's the healing, not the pill."

M_Raghavan July 25, 2016

"I can leave my home and run errands without freaking out or sitting in the parking lot waiting for my husband or kids to drive me home."

Anonymous July 21, 2016

"This is one dangerous drug as for me it made me feel half dead to me and the world around me it made my depression even worse and anxiety really bad to the point I was unable to do the things I wanted to enjoy. Was unable to settle..It put me in a dark place and gave me really bad dreams and good luck if on it more than 6months to come off, may the force be with you, it's a horrific experience so please keep clear!"

Wired up July 18, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication after I already tried lithium and seroquel. The lithium helped me a lot & the seroquel gave me bad headaches. So they put me on abilify. I could not sleep no matter what I took to help, I was restless , I threw up , my body temperature switched from hot to cold rapidly. I couldn't stand without being dizzy. It was the worst experience. My depression was better but my anxiety was insane. Definitely not worth the side effects"

xoxokels June 30, 2016

"I have been on 20 mg of Abilify now for about 10 years. When I first began taking it I gained over 100 pounds in 6 months. I finally stopped gaining at 250. I have tried everything to take the weight off. Nothing. My doctor added 20 mg of Lexapro. I gained 30 more pounds. I am going to stop taking the Abilify as the weight gain is causing health issues. I just hope the weight will come off."

Swb (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2016

"Thank you for helping to relieve my anguish! Depressed and low, my nurse offered this med and it is nice. Of course, we are concerned about side effects, but I haven't had any serious issues with this one. I am a White Female. I am over 21. How long is the recommended length of therapy with this med? My nurse brings meds when he visited our home especially for me. I am a busy home maker. Basically, this is gentle yet effective."

Miss Nicki (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 12, 2016

"This drug has really helped me get back to the " the old me" again. I gain five sounds with this medication which I am not happy about but medication has really help me with my deprestion."

ashley bright May 31, 2016

"I suffer from depression and anxiety and have taken every antidepressant medication you can possibly take. It wasn't until my doctor added abilify that I was able to function again."

Marilyn1717 May 29, 2016

"Started with 2mg in addition to mirtazipine, didn't notice much difference. Now up to 5mg, for about a week, and still don't really notice any difference in my mood. Everything is blah. Life is blah. This drug has really not done anything good or bad for me."

golgi May 27, 2016

"I was on Abilify for about 6 months.as an add on booster to take with my Effexor It helped somewhat with my anxiety, but not uresolved. Depression symptoms. I felt like a zombie (which isn't always a bad thing ) lol. About 2 weeks after I stopped taking it I developed a jerking movement in my arm, but it went away in a few months."

kaw1966 May 27, 2016

"Been on the drug for a few months now put on 2 stone and not happy about the weight at all as always have battled with my weight. Everyone says they have noticed the difference in me but think it's just the weight that's getting me down."

LOl lol May 12, 2016

"I have suffered depression most of my life and finally was "diagnosed" by a psychopharmacologist in 2011. I have been on pretty much every antidepressant known to man over the past 20 years and finally was put on a cocktail of Lithium, Prozac, Wellbutrin and Conazepam (at bedtime). I had also taken Abilify at this time for about 1 year but the doctor felt I probably didn't need it anymore as I was stable. However, for about the past 2 years I have been suffering from MAJOR fatigue and some days I was unable to go work as I was so tired. My GP has just put me back on Abilify 5 mg and I feel fantastic. I have so much energy and I have found happiness and enjoyment in the things I had lost interest in."

Whanes (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

"I was told by my doctor that I might gain weight. He said that the signal in the brain that says, "Thank you, I've had enough!" which is what I always go by, and it keeps my weight steady, is DELAYED. It's TRUE. he says portion control is the key. We shall see. I'm trying but I've already gained about three pounds and notice that I eat way more. I'll let you know if I get a handle on it. The drug is THE one added to my cocktail that made the difference."

Barbay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

"On 2 mg. It made me feel empty inside. Like things didn't bring excitement, adrenaline. Everything seemed blank. Had major sweet cravings for the first month or two but it leveled off. The most sweet cravings were at 5 mg a day. Really brought reality into full focus. Got it a pharmacy that use a different supplier that's cheaper."

Louann pouvie February 29, 2016

"Our 12 year old son was having terrible anxiety and could not get along with anyone at school. He did not trust anyone and would not listen to anyone either. He suggested suicide more than once but thankfully never went through with it. We regularly saw a therapist but would not listen. We reluctantly decided to add the smallest dose of abilify to his depression medicine. In approximately 2 days we saw an immediate change. He seems more "balanced" and the anxiety level down significantly. It has only been 2 weeks....but so far so good."

jwjbs February 27, 2016

"Night and day positive effect"

Afortg (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2016

"I started on this medication just 3 days ago at 2 mg. In conjunction with celexa 40 mg and 90 mg cymbalta. I have noticed some mild nausea but nothing else yet. To the 12 yr old girl, my doctor and pharmacy said this medication abilify should not be taken by anyone under 18 years."

Parkerbelle January 18, 2016

"I started this medication when I was about 11 or 12 and took it for 6 months. It made me so anxious and so restless I remember having to get up in the middle of class several times to get a drink of water to try and stop my anxiety. I had several episodes of this and always felt that I had to be moving. Maybe I was too young to be on the medicine though..."

JBrown92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

"I've been suffering with dibilitating depression, anxiety, and OCD for over 20 years. I've was in remission for 8 years, but this time it came back with a vengeance! I was really losing hope. I have tried every single antidep out there, and the ones that worked very well before, don't work anymore. I've been on a roller coaster and fighting for over 7 years to get my life back. It's been a living hell. I could hardly get out of bed, taking a shower was too much, even putting my seatbelt on seemed like a chore. If you have ever suffered, you know what I'm talking about! I was put on Abilify to help with my Effexor just three days ago and I already feel like I can conquer the world...I just pray it lasts! "

TexasSunshine January 10, 2016

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication is amazing, but after 2 months I gained 20lbs. :/"

Cheraldi (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

"I was feeling like I was in a hole and couldn't get out of it. Nothing was working. I am now on lamictal and abilify and within a week I was feeling better. I take them both at night I don't know if that makes a difference, but I always wake up early with lots of ENERGY and ready to do whatever. Which before all I could do was lay in bed. I hope I don't gain any weight, I haven't yet and haven't experienced any over eating and I'm on 10mg abilify and 200mg of lamictal. So they have both worked wonders for my depression. With no side effects that I can see yet."

skunky344 December 13, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My lexapro stopped working so I was switched to prozac. While prozac did help some it didn't help enough. My psychiatrist prescribed abilify at 2mg to add on to 60mg of prozac. Within 2 days I was pulled out of the dark hole I was in and my crying spells were gone. This pill is a miracle pill."

LALDO November 9, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My anxiety and then depression began about 4 months ago. I didn't want to get out of bed, and had compulsive negative thoughts, no energy or motivation, and couldn't sleep, lost 20 pounds. I was prescribed Lexapro generic. This med did almost nothing for 3 months. Within a week of adding Abilify generic, most symptoms changed. I feel much better, have appetite, better energy, appetite, optimism, more like me, and motivated to get out of bed when I wake up...which is great."

Rand1 November 8, 2015

"Abilify does not work. It is not the medication for me. My heart races I can't breathe half of the time right I get dizzy I'm panicky and unmotivated I'm Droggy and always lethargic very down and it has the opposite effect. !!!"

Lovable key (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2015

"Taking this in conjunction with Wellbutrin and Buspar gave me my life back. My mood is stable, I'm happy, excited, and not over the top either. The trade name really describes this medication well that's for sure. However, this isn't for everyone. Also I must note the first 5 days kind of suck. I felt like my head was spinning and I felt nauseated like I was on a roller coaster all the time. Never threw up though. SO glad I stuck with it though. Well worth it in the end."

Leandre3452 September 1, 2015