User Reviews for Abilify to treat Depression

Abilify has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 262 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 55% of those users who reviewed Abilify reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Abilify Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

29% 76
5% 14
20% 53

Reviews for Abilify

PearlG · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 14, 2021

“Abilify is a strange one. I had been on Effexor for a couple years with very slight mood improvement only. Added Abilify for 8 months. Physiologically I felt super energized, barely slept but was never tired. Tremendously productive- getting up at 4am to go running, then coming home to mark papers until I had to go to work at 730am. Side effects were disturbing though: compulsive swallowing, eyelids that wouldn’t open fully, severe hand tremors - couldn’t eat in front of coworkers because shaking was so bad. No weight gain or loss. But, zero effect on mood. I stayed on it simply because I liked being so productive. But it didn’t help my depression all, so I abandoned it. The shaking lingered for months after but eventually went away.”

Stormy · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 10, 2021

“This is a miracle drug for me. I have been on so many antidepressants over the years for major anxiety and depression with no relief. Within a day or two of Abilify, I feel human again. I've been on it for about 8 years and my dosage is between 2 to 4 mg. I have gained a lot of weight but I'll take it over the nightmarish way I feel when I don't. No side effects other than the weight gain. I also have found that the brand name works much better for me.”

Andreea February 10, 2021

“I've been on Abilify Maintena 10mg for 4 months and I asked to be taken off the drug a week ago. It didn't help with my depression, I am emotionally numb now, still have an increased appetite and no energy. I used to be incredibly active. I don't know how much longer it will take for the side effects to disappear. Do not take his drug if you have the same symptoms.”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2021

“For me Abilify was a godsend. Sometimes I get a bit hypomanic, but that still beats the soul-crushing depression snd anxiety.”

HK · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2021

“I've been taking this along with Clonidine for a month and they increased Abilify to 5mg. Once this happened, after a bit I've started to get insomnia, restlessness/anxiousness, nausea, appetite change (not hungry). I chose to go off it myself since my psych insisted I stay on, but I couldn't keep torturing myself like this. Hopefully my body returns to normal, when I could sleep and eat without worries.”

John · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 17, 2021

“Abilify definitely helped with anxiety and depression during the 5+ years I took it, but I gained nearly 100 lbs during that time. When I discontinued use, my weight immediately stabilized and has started slowly decreasing. Anxiety and depression have unfortunately also started creeping back in.”

Sandy November 17, 2020

“I was put on Abilify and it made me feel very strange. I went off it after a few days and was very glad I did. My daughter, who also suffers from depression was put on it and she went from weighing 120 pounds (at 5'6") and gained over 100 pounds in 8-9 months. During that time she voluntarily went into the hospital for suicide ideation. I could hardly recognize her personality and was appalled to see her so morbidly obese when I saw her for the first time when I visited her to pick her up from the hospital once she was released. She looked like a zombie - pale, dark shadows under her eyes - and she was only 26 years old at the time. She went off it and it took her a long time getting her weight down at a stable 150 pounds. Her poor body went through a really hard time, not to mention the bad effect it had on her mind. AWFUL!!”

namjoon · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2020

“I was on this Abilify for a month or so for depression to enhance my anti depressant and I had the worst experience. It made me have the most awful night terrors/nightmares and I starting hallucinating, seeing little tiny people run around my room and I thought they were going to hurt me if I went to sleep. I still don't understand why I was given this as a minor”

Slick · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2020

“If you want to get fat take Abilify.”

Sugar Magnolia · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

“Abilify works great for me, I couldn't even get over a bridge without freaking out, not any more. I have Epilepsy, so I can tolerate a lot of anti psychotics, but this one really works.”

Sunshine332 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 19, 2020

“This drug Abilify made me gain 60 lbs over 3.5 years. It did nothing for me. Be aware. It will make you want to eat!!! This did absolutely nothing for me. Finally came off of it and feeling better then when I was on it.”

Sally · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2020

“This is my first day taking Abilify 5 mg. I am at work and I feel HORRIBLE. I'm thinking about going home. I am dizzy, sweating, and just feel out of it. I took it 2 1/2 hours ago and wish I had the ability to make myself barf to get it out of me, but it was such a small tab it has probably dissolved. I hate my dr. for putting me on this. I feel like a zombie. Actually found myself staring at my computer with my mouth open. Awful, horrible rx.”

Sonny · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2020

“I was on Abilify a grand total of 10 days before I had to stop. It’s hard to describe how anxious/claustrophobic/panicky/nauseous I felt in that short about of time. My suicidal thoughts spiked due to the intensity of the fever dream-like delirium. It felt like I was trapped on a roller coaster inside my own head, nauseous and ready to hurl, yet I couldn’t get off. I guess you could say my depression subsided, but that’s because my mind simply couldn’t focus on anything besides how horrendous I felt. I’ve only ever suffered from anxiety and depression, but abilify made me feel truly psychotic.”

Catathome · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

“This is a very motivating medication. I get out of bed and am motivated to make the most of my day. It is like a miracle for me. I was switched over to the generic, Aripiprazole and felt about half of the effect. Even though my doctor moved my prescription up to a 5mg it still does not work like the original. The generic is not the same.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

“Abilify is absolutely amazing. Life changing. Can't believe how much better I feel.”

Stephen · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 24, 2020

“Been on Abilify 7.5 mg in conjunction with Cymbalta and Lamictal, and boy has it made a difference in my mood. I've had major unipolar depression over the years, and am in process of recovering from a severe episode. I am able to function so much better in life. No apparent side effects from Abilify either.”

Sway January 23, 2020

“I benefit from abilify for MDD. I noticed a huge improvement in my functioning and am able to get more things done. It's not that I have extra energy, I just feel less overwhelmed by doing things and therefore am able to do them. It's helped me lose weight by increasing my ability to be active, and also decreasing my stress/emotional eating. It increased my sex drive, which was something I was struggling with in depression. Overall I recommend this drug for MDD. However, I just recently increased from 7.5mg to 15mg and am starting to feel dizzy and get head aches. Maybe this will lesson or pass soon. If it gets worse then I'll reduce my dose. But I've found this medication to be particularly helpful whereas I've tried a LOT of other meds and find no results. I am also taking lamicital 200mg for BPD/PTSD.”

Nat · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

“Abilify has changed my life in less than a week. My anxiety and depression are gone. For months I suffered from consistent panic attacks, depressive episodes, crying spells. I had to drop out of college. This in combination with cymbalta has literally improved everything in days. My sex drive is back, my relationship is wonderful, I am smiling, laughing and happy all the time. I don’t have anxiety about little things anymore. I carry Ativan on me for anxiety and panic and was taking it every single day and since I started abilify I haven’t taken it once. I am so grateful for this drug. Tonight I’ll be starting on 2 mg instead of 1 (I’m a small person) to see if I can get even better.”

Magnus · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2019

“A few days in of taking abilify and my depression was literally blown away after 15 years in a depression. My mouth got very, very dry so stopped using it. Now the effect has gone away but I'll start today again.”

Anonymous December 7, 2019

“Was on it for 3 weeks. During this time I had insatiable appetite. I remember going into the cafeteria and getting a chicken sandwich meal from a fast food place and then 20 minutes went back in starving and ate another meal from another fast food chain. I gained about 15 pounds in three weeks lol. Pdoc decided to pull me off it based on this. Also my tongue swelled up 2x or so it’s side and my mouth constantly watered to where I carried a cup with me just to spit into. Also I felt like I was detached from reality on it I guess surreal. During all this I managed to finish up my studies despite this disruption to my life. Currently I choose taking no meds in this family of medication and I switched pdocs. We weren’t on the same page.”

Nikki November 28, 2019

“Terrible, made me feel out of body, doctor started me on 30mg each night, way too much. I hate how it makes me feel.”

AP · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2019

“Abilify caused my eyes to roll to the back of my head, convulsions and completely killed my personality. It removed my desire to self harm but it also removed every trace of personality that made me myself. Enough to make my peers notice when I finally got off it. The side effects are horrid and have left me terrified of prescription meds.”

Emma November 4, 2019

“Abilify usually pulls me out of major depression within about a week. A life saver for me.”

Henna · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 28, 2019

“I wasted a year of my life on Abilify stuff. It turned me into a zombie, made me gain 10 lbs, and compulsively shopped -even on just a 1mg dose. It was added to my Wellbutrin to help with anxiety and agitation and sure it did help with that but I found myself becoming more depressed from my side effects. Wouldn’t recommend. It’s an antipsychotic and it feels like one. I was not myself on it. I’m not suffering from psychosis so why take an antipsychotic at all? I don’t believe in this at all as an add on drug to augment treatment for depression.”

Smile 23 October 23, 2019

“Abilify and cymbalta 90mg were such great match for treatment of depression however abilify cause such strong anxieties which we sorted out by using lorazepam 0.5g morning and evening. But abilify did help cymbalta to work for my relative, give ability 8 weeks to see it's full effect, the side effects are horrible but they all went away after 4 weeks except for the anxiety.”