User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Depression

"Abilify made me into a short term sex addict. My life is ruined . Abilify is the devil theres no cure for a lost soul. Do I need to tell you not to take this drug? Witch doctors all of you and no good money hungry people . I hope you burn too."

Black Bird 810 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2016

"I read these reviews for over a month before even taking these meds. I will say this, you just have to go for it. Best decision I've made in a VERY long time. Abilify has helped me in so many ways! I was at my lowest point. I was severely depressed. I've been taking this medication for over a month & hands down I feel great. Yes I still have my days but they are for sure getting better.. All I want to say is do NOT let what other people say stop you from getting better. Try it for at least 6 wks & judge for yourself. At this point weight gain is welcomed for me. I lost so much weight I'd like to gain at least 30 lol. I am just happy to feel "NORMAL" again. I hope all of you get better. Stay Strong & never give up. Stay Blessed "

Regina September 7, 2016

"I started taking Abilify about 4 weeks ago. I am bi-polar. Of course the highs are great and the lows, well you know. My doctor thought that this would cause me to level out the highs and lows. Not such a bad idea but I think (no way of knowing for sure) this medication has caused me to go down gradually. Seems like it eliminated the high altogether and caused me to drift into a moderate low. Unlike before taking this med, I am able to still function somewhat better than full blown depression. Right now I feel pretty poorly with anxiety and depression. I have thought about stopping this medication and after reading some of these experiences, I've decided to stop this medication (5 mg) today and see what happens. I still take Lamotrigine."

Fritzibear September 4, 2016

"I just started taking Abilify for my second go around. It's been about a week and reading these posts is making me recollect all of the effects the medication had on me last year. On top of things going maniacal with my best friend and husband I had to deal with weight gain, twitching and a terrible shallow attitude burst out (hence the maniacal matrimony). But I felt so much more focused, happy'ish (laughing more but the not reaching my eyes type) and more energy, less lethargy. After being so sluggish and down and gray and tired for years this was a temporary battle of conscience in deciding whether or not to continue taking the medication. I gained about 50 lbs within 2 months on 4mg day. I twitched all through the night for mos."

shemerci (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2016

"I've been taking Venlafaxine (Effexor) for about 5 years for depression and anxiety but my doseage had to be increased by my psychiatrist a few times. He suggested I try 2 mg. of Arpiprazole (Abilify) for a couple of months. I've been very pleased with the results. I find I have more energy and I'm able to complete tasks without procrastinating. My thoughts have become much more positive and I don't fly off the handle the way I used to. Negatives are waking through the night ever hour on the hour and I'm not the night owl I used to be which is probably a good thing. No weight gain either. Reading the other stories, I can see many people have side effects so I can't recommend it but It could also turn your life around."

Don't have one (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016

"I was on abilify for 18 months and packed on 80lbs and discontinued it, It made me feel very flat and very tired, my doctor said it was weight neutral but it definitely isn't. Seroquel also made me gain but am on respiridrone now and though I have gained a little it's not as bad as the others. Abilify didn't help my delusions at all and I felt quite depressed on it. I quit it cold turkey and lost 6stone in 7 months but then became ill again. My biggest weight gains were always after I had been out and had a few drinks! Glad to be off it and might look into trying latuda"

Hells bells August 6, 2016

"I am 18 years old. I've been taking abilify for almost two months and it has seriously messed me up. I have anxiety and depression. The only slight improvement I've seen is in my ability to interact socially. Otherwise, I feel awful. I either feel like a complete zombie, or I feel crazy and obsessive. My boyfriend is scared of me because I've become so out of character, and a jealous monster. I quit cold turkey and feel better than I have since I started taking it. Would not recommend."

Ihatemeds123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2016

"I literally started abilify YESTERDAY and it triggered my Zpots Syndrome (fainting) and I threw up. The paramedics came and they all thought it was most likely from starting abilify."

Ashcash (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

"I started taking Abilify to compliment years of taking Effexor. I am on 5 mg, and am experiencing many of the symptoms I am reading about here - weight gain, feelings of emptiness, and craving for sweets. The good part of it is all the depressing and worrisome voices are out of my head. The bad thing is the emptiness, but I figure I should filling that void with good things - hobbies, music, more quality time with my beautiful wife. Maybe that's the healing, not the pill."

M_Raghavan July 25, 2016

"I can leave my home and run errands without freaking out or sitting in the parking lot waiting for my husband or kids to drive me home."

Anonymous July 21, 2016

"This is one dangerous drug as for me it made me feel half dead to me and the world around me it made my depression even worse and anxiety really bad to the point I was unable to do the things I wanted to enjoy. Was unable to settle..It put me in a dark place and gave me really bad dreams and good luck if on it more than 6months to come off, may the force be with you, it's a horrific experience so please keep clear!"

Wired up July 18, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication after I already tried lithium and seroquel. The lithium helped me a lot & the seroquel gave me bad headaches. So they put me on abilify. I could not sleep no matter what I took to help, I was restless , I threw up , my body temperature switched from hot to cold rapidly. I couldn't stand without being dizzy. It was the worst experience. My depression was better but my anxiety was insane. Definitely not worth the side effects"

xoxokels June 30, 2016

"I have been on 20 mg of Abilify now for about 10 years. When I first began taking it I gained over 100 pounds in 6 months. I finally stopped gaining at 250. I have tried everything to take the weight off. Nothing. My doctor added 20 mg of Lexapro. I gained 30 more pounds. I am going to stop taking the Abilify as the weight gain is causing health issues. I just hope the weight will come off."

Swb (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2016

"Thank you for helping to relieve my anguish! Depressed and low, my nurse offered this med and it is nice. Of course, we are concerned about side effects, but I haven't had any serious issues with this one. I am a White Female. I am over 21. How long is the recommended length of therapy with this med? My nurse brings meds when he visited our home especially for me. I am a busy home maker. Basically, this is gentle yet effective."

Miss Nicki (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 12, 2016

"This drug has really helped me get back to the " the old me" again. I gain five sounds with this medication which I am not happy about but medication has really help me with my deprestion."

ashley bright May 31, 2016

"I suffer from depression and anxiety and have taken every antidepressant medication you can possibly take. It wasn't until my doctor added abilify that I was able to function again."

Marilyn1717 May 29, 2016

"Started with 2mg in addition to mirtazipine, didn't notice much difference. Now up to 5mg, for about a week, and still don't really notice any difference in my mood. Everything is blah. Life is blah. This drug has really not done anything good or bad for me."

golgi May 27, 2016

"I was on Abilify for about 6 months.as an add on booster to take with my Effexor It helped somewhat with my anxiety, but not uresolved. Depression symptoms. I felt like a zombie (which isn't always a bad thing ) lol. About 2 weeks after I stopped taking it I developed a jerking movement in my arm, but it went away in a few months."

kaw1966 May 27, 2016

"Been on the drug for a few months now put on 2 stone and not happy about the weight at all as always have battled with my weight. Everyone says they have noticed the difference in me but think it's just the weight that's getting me down."

LOl lol May 12, 2016

"I have suffered depression most of my life and finally was "diagnosed" by a psychopharmacologist in 2011. I have been on pretty much every antidepressant known to man over the past 20 years and finally was put on a cocktail of Lithium, Prozac, Wellbutrin and Conazepam (at bedtime). I had also taken Abilify at this time for about 1 year but the doctor felt I probably didn't need it anymore as I was stable. However, for about the past 2 years I have been suffering from MAJOR fatigue and some days I was unable to go work as I was so tired. My GP has just put me back on Abilify 5 mg and I feel fantastic. I have so much energy and I have found happiness and enjoyment in the things I had lost interest in."

Whanes (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

"I was told by my doctor that I might gain weight. He said that the signal in the brain that says, "Thank you, I've had enough!" which is what I always go by, and it keeps my weight steady, is DELAYED. It's TRUE. he says portion control is the key. We shall see. I'm trying but I've already gained about three pounds and notice that I eat way more. I'll let you know if I get a handle on it. The drug is THE one added to my cocktail that made the difference."

Barbay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

"On 2 mg. It made me feel empty inside. Like things didn't bring excitement, adrenaline. Everything seemed blank. Had major sweet cravings for the first month or two but it leveled off. The most sweet cravings were at 5 mg a day. Really brought reality into full focus. Got it a pharmacy that use a different supplier that's cheaper."

Louann pouvie February 29, 2016

"Our 12 year old son was having terrible anxiety and could not get along with anyone at school. He did not trust anyone and would not listen to anyone either. He suggested suicide more than once but thankfully never went through with it. We regularly saw a therapist but would not listen. We reluctantly decided to add the smallest dose of abilify to his depression medicine. In approximately 2 days we saw an immediate change. He seems more "balanced" and the anxiety level down significantly. It has only been 2 weeks....but so far so good."

jwjbs February 27, 2016

"Night and day positive effect"

Afortg (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2016

"I started on this medication just 3 days ago at 2 mg. In conjunction with celexa 40 mg and 90 mg cymbalta. I have noticed some mild nausea but nothing else yet. To the 12 yr old girl, my doctor and pharmacy said this medication abilify should not be taken by anyone under 18 years."

Parkerbelle January 18, 2016