User Reviews for Abilify

Abilify Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 219 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Depression

"Went on abilify for depression and anxiety. No side effects and took my anxiety away at 5mg. Depression is gone too."

Heather (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2018

"Been on it about a year and it has helped me a lot no side effects"

Tanncox77 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2018

"I took Abilfy 10mg for 3 weeks as an add on to my Celexa for MDD. I worked great for my depression. But I started shopping like crazy, which is out of character. During the 2nd week my right thumb went numb, my hands and arms started to get puffy. I thought maybe my salt intake was high, so I cut back with no improvement. By the 3rd week I was have severe carpal tunnel pain all the way up my right arm to my shoulder. I stopped taking it per my Dr. Only the 2nd day off I lost 10lbs in water weight. Carpal tunnel pain is gone but my thumb is still numb."

Caligirl (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2018

"I took Abilify for over a year. I had a bad experience with long term side effects. In the beginning I called it the miracle drug it worked well for my depression and life was grand. I began to get very depressed. The long term effects caused me to have schizophrenia I was hospitalized and taken off of it. I do not recommend this drug be taken for long long term ."

Sue (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2018

"I started taking Abilify along with my Cymbalta. After a week I began to feel incredible. This drug has helped me to focus. I'm doing creative things that I haven’t thought of for years. I feel self-confident. No negative thoughts."

Wendy June 26, 2018

"It's better every year."

Hb (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2018

"After suffering with depression for 10 years this has finally helped me. I also take wellbutrin 300mg I hated being on SSRI's cause of the weight gain and lack of sex drive which is not a problem with these drugs I'm so thankful for abilify 5mg it has given me my life back!"

Tracey 130206 February 9, 2018

"Was good for like a month, I had energy and waking up early, after that I started gaining weight (25lbs) and got so depressed that I didn't want to go out and even suicidal. I'm off now and in less than a month lost 15lbs, I'm starting to feel better and back to taking only celexa 20mg since 6yrs ago"

Vir (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2018

"After 3 years. I'm miserable taking this drug . Worked great at first . Felt clear and awake . Now I have to stop this med . Gained a lot of weight . My breathing is difficult and I find it hard to swallow food . I have stopped breathing 3 times now . I have reflux problems and worsening anxiety. Sad because it worked so well at first :("

Shelly32 January 11, 2018

"I am 6’4 185 pounds and had 2mg generic ABILIFY added to my 450 mg Wellbutrin. It works. I could feel the improvement within a week. I have more energy and motivation to do things. I don’t dwell on negative things as much as before. It appears that low doses of this drug are the best as an adjunct to antidepressants for depression compared to higher doses. Higher doses are better for the other indications. It does seem to be somewhat constipating for me and others have different G.I. side effects. But the benefits far outweigh any transient side effects."

LeedofNJ (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2017

"I only took this medication once. Within an hour after I took my 2mg pill (also with 20mg lexapro) at around 9-10pm, I started to feel incredibly nauseous to the point where it was almost unbearable. I went out on a short car ride with a friend and had to stop because I started vomiting right in my hands, and then I threw up for about 5 minutes on the curb, feeling super terrible. My friend was almost about to call an ambulance because I just looked that messed up. When I got dropped off at home, I still felt incredibly nauseous. I laid on the floor for 3 hours straight CONSTANTLY projectile vomiting until around 2:30am. Yes I ran out of things to throw up and had to force myself to throw up and eat to make myself feel better."

Alyssa A (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

"Used along with Prozac (Fluoxetine) helped Anorexia Nervosa symptoms."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2017

"So I went on ability about a year to two years ago and it made me gain 50lbs in less than 6 months. A lot of my depression ties into my self worth and body image issues so gaining so much weight (A long with hundreds of stretch marks) definitely damaged my self worth and thus making my depression worse. Plus I didn't feel like it made any difference in my life whether I took it or not. Worked for 2-4 weeks then quit working"

Mac80000 November 22, 2017

"I only took it once before bed. Don't remember the dosage. Woke up later sweating, heart racing, confused. I even called an ambulance. Took it as an adjunct for depression. Had the same experience with seroquel, another atypical antipsychotic. Just no good for me."

bpmabq (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

"I just take this the week of my PMDD and it helps with the mood swings and the irritability and agitation."

Lilmissbitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2017

"It's good I think I might need it again ?. ."

Josepsh (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

"My 13 yr old was prescribed 3mg of abilify per day after one visit to a pediatric psychiatrist for depression. After 17 months his level of aggression, suicidal thoughts, and violence was out of control!!! We asked his PCP how to ween him off of it and did so over a period of 5-6 weeks. He is no longer violent, depressed, or angry. This medication poisoned my son and I am just thankful we had the sense to go with our own research and gut feelings and take him off of it before it was too late!"

Mfarr July 29, 2017

"I have had chronic mild depression for most of my adult life. I took Prozac for over 20 years but it really didn't help. I was then prescribed Citalopram 40 MG, which did make a positive impact on my depression. When it wasn't quite enough, my doctor prescribed 2 mg of Abilify - which I have been taking for over 3 weeks. I can only say that this med works. I have never ever been a "morning person", but since I started on Abilify, I have been getting up very early and taking on the day with a lot of energy and positivity. In my view, this medication does work as a supplement to existing anti-depressant medication. Only side effect experienced thus far is: mild insomnia (no weight gain at all - at least so far)."

HB1000 (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

"I had very bad depressed thoughts and since taking Abilify my total blackness in my life had been lifted. I had been suffering depression and fits of mood swings. This Abilify actually works. I stoped raging at life and to put a literal perspective on this. Its more or less one of the best that been prescribed to me .I used to yell , convulse and almost had completely collapsed. The only downside is the restlessness but melodramatic sense of unwanted sleepless nights. All I got to say to everyone keep taking what you are prescribed."

Phil. B. (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2017

"I am very very sensitive to medication. My psychiatrist and I tried several meds before landing on this one, which my body can actually tolerate. I was extremely depressed. Nothing seemed to lift the fog. After taking Abilify 2mg (at night), I noticed it's benefits a week later. I'm more determined, focused, and actually want to get healthier. No suicidal thoughts. Don't feel like a zombie. It does make me sleepy which is why I take it at night. It's been almost a month on this new medication and so far so good."

A925 May 12, 2017

"I've been taking abilify on and off for about eight years. I feel so flat. I use to be a go getter not anymore. I feel lazy with the abilify and lamictal combo. What should I do. I feel emotionally flat and people say I look lifeless."

Tina1988 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2017

"I have been on Antidepressants for years - After several different meds my doc has me on Celexa 40 mg - I was still experiencing anxiety and worsening depression so we tried Abilify 10 mg. It was terrific until day 6 when my anxiety was horrible and I couldn't sit still at all. This med tripled my anxiety so I stopped it. I'm now taking 1/2 my Celexa (20 mg) and I started myself back on Welbutrin today - finally, the anxiety caused by the Abilify is gone - I see my doctor tomorrow - but I was just wondering what else works on Anxiety?"

Boyz5 May 1, 2017

"Had to come off this med, experienced many side effects. My doctor put me on Lamictal (along with my anti-depressant and this combo worked well for me."

jaccar (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

"I have been taking 450 mg of bupropion and 20 mg escitalopram for about 3 years and the combination has been working pretty well to control my depression and anxiety. I had breakthrough depression a couple of times a week, when I would feel guilty about random things, worry about things I couldn't control and get pretty "weepy". My doctor prescribed abilify, starting at 2.5 mg and increased it to 5 mg. This helped a lot! However, I gained 25 pounds in 3 months. I am tapering off abilify, and will start 25 mg of lamictal tomorrow."

momkat21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2017

"Worst medication I've ever taken. Experienced every side effect except sudden death and compulsive gambling. Started to feel like a zombie devoid of anything real. If you're not psychotic, don't take this!!!"

Triple Dee (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 2, 2017