User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Depression

"I have been taking 450 mg of bupropion and 20 mg escitalopram for about 3 years and the combination has been working pretty well to control my depression and anxiety. I had breakthrough depression a couple of times a week, when I would feel guilty about random things, worry about things I couldn't control and get pretty "weepy". My doctor prescribed abilify, starting at 2.5 mg and increased it to 5 mg. This helped a lot! However, I gained 25 pounds in 3 months. I am tapering off abilify, and will start 25 mg of lamictal tomorrow."

momkat21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst medication I've ever taken. Experienced every side effect except sudden death and compulsive gambling. Started to feel like a zombie devoid of anything real. If you're not psychotic, don't take this!!!"

Triple Dee (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 2, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have experienced depression for years now and nothing seemed to work or I would get all of the side affects. A few weeks ago my Dr prescribed Abilify and wow, it works. I am taking 5mg a day currently. I say give it a try. It improved my mood my depression. After a few days. It has given me a better quality of life with my 10 yr old son. It has pulled me out of the dark . I hope it keeps working."

Shalshock (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been treated with situational depression that turned to a chemical imbalance and have tried just about every SSRI/ SNRI out there. I was on Cymbalta 60mg alone for several years and even with ability 2mg but it wasn't until I tried cymbalta 60mg with Abilify 5 mg that I saw real results I have more energy than I have had in several years, my anxiety and social anxiety levels have diminished to almost non existent. I don't seem to have any side effects from the Abilify. Hope some of you try my advice."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I`ve dealt with profound depression most of my adult life. I`ve gone the gamut of most antidepressants with varying degrees of success. Most, even the very useful, usually lose potency after a few yearsl Out of desperation, my physician prescribed a small dose of 2 mg of Abilify in conjunction with Wellbutrin. Within a few days, my energy levels skyrocketed and my mood greatly improved. Even though I`m concerned about the many side effects, I plan on staying with it while it still helps."

JC 69 February 9, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First I was afraid to start on this drug, I tried respiredone it was horrible - I had nightmares and fatigue, and I felt verry foggy. Doctor put me on abilify 2.5 mg in addition to effexor 300mg it works very well it gave me stability never been stable for long, no ups and downs it made my days better and really lift my mood! When I tried to stop I went into anxiety and depression so now I decide to go back on it. It really worth trying! No side affects except little fatigue. Life savior. No mood swings"

Deealt February 5, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've suffered depression from 35 years. It started situational then was magnified by an intense traumatic brain injury in 2010. I've tried every AD on market. I had horrible side effects, trouble tapering down, and really no relief. On Abilify, no weight gain. No spaciness. No dilated pupils. This drug works. Even through a death 12/30 & husband Dxed BiP over Xmas. I'm not taking any other AD. 1mg. Plus Klonopin."

Sun Moon & Stars (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was in a deep depression about a year ago. I was taking Lexepro and Ativan. I saw very little improvement after five months. My doctor added 2mg of Abilify. Within two days, the clouds had lifted. The worrying started to dissipate. I was able to think clearer with each passing day. I did notice a weight gain, but my doctor said this was because I was feeling better. I dropped the Abilify after about six months. My advice is to stay with it. As with most drugs, you start to feel better and don't need it any more. Wrong. Circumstances come up and you are in the pits again. I started back on Abilify last night."

JFW61 December 21, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on Abilify for 7 weeks now, starting at 5mg and increasing to 10mg 2 weeks ago. Worked within a day or 2 in that I could function again and has continued to mostly inmprove my depression although I do still have bad days I think this is a great drug"

Karen654 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take generic Cymbalta and have for 2 years. One day it just sucked, I was like really down, depressed and living like a hermit. I have been taking 10 milligrams of Abilify on top of the cymbalta 60 milligrams and so far I actually feel normal for the first time in my life. I am now smiling and going out , looking forward to fresh air and conversation again. Thank you Abilify, I am now getting back to life."

Somoa73 November 29, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on many antidepressants with little or no relief of symptoms. Was currently on cymbalta with little relief and asked my doctor about Abilify was prescribed 5 MG within a week I felt like myself again. I rarely left my house for two years. I have visited family, even able to go to public places ."

DebCD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worked very well for me ! Had no problems and it definitely made a huge improvement"

Butterfly2009 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on remeron, lamictal, strattera and for almost a year. I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, adult ADHD and ptsd. In August I was present when my best friend of 36 years years passed away from cancer. Needless to say that grief combined with MDD had me in a very bad space in my head. I Went to my doctor and he suggested abilify as an add on to the remeron, I was already on 45mg and he refused to increase. He also prescribed buspar as a prn for my anxiety. With in days the dark pit I was in closed up and I was able to breathe again. Although still grieving it comes in manageable waves now instead of being 24/7. I have had very minimal side effects and take 5mgs in the morning. I would recommend this medication"

Zhonaleigha October 14, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with depression in 2000. My doctor at the time was a bit of a quack and had no idea of the symptoms and treatments for depression. Moving forward, I have been seeing a very good doctor now for about 12 years. As you are well aware, not all meds for for all people. I am only writing this today in hopes of saving someone some time and frustration if Abilify is not working for you. I started taking Abilify as an enhancement to the Wellbutrin that I was already taking. As time went on, my depression got worse. To make a long story short, I went off of Abilify 3 months ago and life has been great. Not sleeping all day or dragging my butt, thinking clearer and have endless amounts of energy. STAY AWAY FROM THIS MED!"

alitlfaith (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 8, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was on Prozac for the last 4 years to treat my depression, anxiety and intrusive thoughts until my Prozac pooped out. I upped my Prozac with no relief. I tried other ssris Zoloft,Celexa Lexapro which only made my condition worse. I even tried an snri Cymbalta with no relief. 7 months later I finally got to see a psychiatrist. He put me back on Prozac 10 mg and augment with Abilify. It took a month before I decided to try it because of the cost ($110.00 for 30 2mg pills) I felt it working 2 days later. After 1 week my intrusive thoughts went away and my depression lifted with anxiety gone. I had zero side effects. Its been 10 days now and I feel myself again, going out and doing things. For me Abilify is a perfect fit, I hope it lasts."

dymndjim (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Abilify made me into a short term sex addict. My life is ruined . Abilify is the devil theres no cure for a lost soul. Do I need to tell you not to take this drug? Witch doctors all of you and no good money hungry people . I hope you burn too."

Black Bird 810 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I read these reviews for over a month before even taking these meds. I will say this, you just have to go for it. Best decision I've made in a VERY long time. Abilify has helped me in so many ways! I was at my lowest point. I was severely depressed. I've been taking this medication for over a month & hands down I feel great. Yes I still have my days but they are for sure getting better.. All I want to say is do NOT let what other people say stop you from getting better. Try it for at least 6 wks & judge for yourself. At this point weight gain is welcomed for me. I lost so much weight I'd like to gain at least 30 lol. I am just happy to feel "NORMAL" again. I hope all of you get better. Stay Strong & never give up. Stay Blessed "

Regina September 7, 2016

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Abilify about 4 weeks ago. I am bi-polar. Of course the highs are great and the lows, well you know. My doctor thought that this would cause me to level out the highs and lows. Not such a bad idea but I think (no way of knowing for sure) this medication has caused me to go down gradually. Seems like it eliminated the high altogether and caused me to drift into a moderate low. Unlike before taking this med, I am able to still function somewhat better than full blown depression. Right now I feel pretty poorly with anxiety and depression. I have thought about stopping this medication and after reading some of these experiences, I've decided to stop this medication (5 mg) today and see what happens. I still take Lamotrigine."

Fritzibear September 4, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just started taking Abilify for my second go around. It's been about a week and reading these posts is making me recollect all of the effects the medication had on me last year. On top of things going maniacal with my best friend and husband I had to deal with weight gain, twitching and a terrible shallow attitude burst out (hence the maniacal matrimony). But I felt so much more focused, happy'ish (laughing more but the not reaching my eyes type) and more energy, less lethargy. After being so sluggish and down and gray and tired for years this was a temporary battle of conscience in deciding whether or not to continue taking the medication. I gained about 50 lbs within 2 months on 4mg day. I twitched all through the night for mos."

shemerci (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking Venlafaxine (Effexor) for about 5 years for depression and anxiety but my doseage had to be increased by my psychiatrist a few times. He suggested I try 2 mg. of Arpiprazole (Abilify) for a couple of months. I've been very pleased with the results. I find I have more energy and I'm able to complete tasks without procrastinating. My thoughts have become much more positive and I don't fly off the handle the way I used to. Negatives are waking through the night ever hour on the hour and I'm not the night owl I used to be which is probably a good thing. No weight gain either. Reading the other stories, I can see many people have side effects so I can't recommend it but It could also turn your life around."

Don't have one (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on abilify for 18 months and packed on 80lbs and discontinued it, It made me feel very flat and very tired, my doctor said it was weight neutral but it definitely isn't. Seroquel also made me gain but am on respiridrone now and though I have gained a little it's not as bad as the others. Abilify didn't help my delusions at all and I felt quite depressed on it. I quit it cold turkey and lost 6stone in 7 months but then became ill again. My biggest weight gains were always after I had been out and had a few drinks! Glad to be off it and might look into trying latuda"

Hells bells August 6, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 18 years old. I've been taking abilify for almost two months and it has seriously messed me up. I have anxiety and depression. The only slight improvement I've seen is in my ability to interact socially. Otherwise, I feel awful. I either feel like a complete zombie, or I feel crazy and obsessive. My boyfriend is scared of me because I've become so out of character, and a jealous monster. I quit cold turkey and feel better than I have since I started taking it. Would not recommend."

Ihatemeds123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I literally started abilify YESTERDAY and it triggered my Zpots Syndrome (fainting) and I threw up. The paramedics came and they all thought it was most likely from starting abilify."

Ashcash (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Abilify to compliment years of taking Effexor. I am on 5 mg, and am experiencing many of the symptoms I am reading about here - weight gain, feelings of emptiness, and craving for sweets. The good part of it is all the depressing and worrisome voices are out of my head. The bad thing is the emptiness, but I figure I should filling that void with good things - hobbies, music, more quality time with my beautiful wife. Maybe that's the healing, not the pill."

M_Raghavan July 25, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I can leave my home and run errands without freaking out or sitting in the parking lot waiting for my husband or kids to drive me home."

Anonymous July 21, 2016