User Reviews for Abilify

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Depression

"After 3 years. I'm miserable taking this drug . Worked great at first . Felt clear and awake . Now I have to stop this med . Gained a lot of weight . My breathing is difficult and I find it hard to swallow food . I have stopped breathing 3 times now . I have reflux problems and worsening anxiety. Sad because it worked so well at first :("

Shelly32 January 11, 2018

"I am 6’4 185 pounds and had 2mg generic ABILIFY added to my 450 mg Wellbutrin. It works. I could feel the improvement within a week. I have more energy and motivation to do things. I don’t dwell on negative things as much as before. It appears that low doses of this drug are the best as an adjunct to antidepressants for depression compared to higher doses. Higher doses are better for the other indications. It does seem to be somewhat constipating for me and others have different G.I. side effects. But the benefits far outweigh any transient side effects."

LeedofNJ (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2017

"I only took this medication once. Within an hour after I took my 2mg pill (also with 20mg lexapro) at around 9-10pm, I started to feel incredibly nauseous to the point where it was almost unbearable. I went out on a short car ride with a friend and had to stop because I started vomiting right in my hands, and then I threw up for about 5 minutes on the curb, feeling super terrible. My friend was almost about to call an ambulance because I just looked that messed up. When I got dropped off at home, I still felt incredibly nauseous. I laid on the floor for 3 hours straight CONSTANTLY projectile vomiting until around 2:30am. Yes I ran out of things to throw up and had to force myself to throw up and eat to make myself feel better."

Alyssa A (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

"Used along with Prozac (Fluoxetine) helped Anorexia Nervosa symptoms."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2017

"So I went on ability about a year to two years ago and it made me gain 50lbs in less than 6 months. A lot of my depression ties into my self worth and body image issues so gaining so much weight (A long with hundreds of stretch marks) definitely damaged my self worth and thus making my depression worse. Plus I didn't feel like it made any difference in my life whether I took it or not. Worked for 2-4 weeks then quit working"

Mac80000 November 22, 2017

"I only took it once before bed. Don't remember the dosage. Woke up later sweating, heart racing, confused. I even called an ambulance. Took it as an adjunct for depression. Had the same experience with seroquel, another atypical antipsychotic. Just no good for me."

bpmabq (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

"I just take this the week of my PMDD and it helps with the mood swings and the irritability and agitation."

Lilmissbitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2017

"It's good I think I might need it again ?. ."

Josepsh (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

"My 13 yr old was prescribed 3mg of abilify per day after one visit to a pediatric psychiatrist for depression. After 17 months his level of aggression, suicidal thoughts, and violence was out of control!!! We asked his PCP how to ween him off of it and did so over a period of 5-6 weeks. He is no longer violent, depressed, or angry. This medication poisoned my son and I am just thankful we had the sense to go with our own research and gut feelings and take him off of it before it was too late!"

Mfarr July 29, 2017

"I have had chronic mild depression for most of my adult life. I took Prozac for over 20 years but it really didn't help. I was then prescribed Citalopram 40 MG, which did make a positive impact on my depression. When it wasn't quite enough, my doctor prescribed 2 mg of Abilify - which I have been taking for over 3 weeks. I can only say that this med works. I have never ever been a "morning person", but since I started on Abilify, I have been getting up very early and taking on the day with a lot of energy and positivity. In my view, this medication does work as a supplement to existing anti-depressant medication. Only side effect experienced thus far is: mild insomnia (no weight gain at all - at least so far)."

HB1000 (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

"I had very bad depressed thoughts and since taking Abilify my total blackness in my life had been lifted. I had been suffering depression and fits of mood swings. This Abilify actually works. I stoped raging at life and to put a literal perspective on this. Its more or less one of the best that been prescribed to me .I used to yell , convulse and almost had completely collapsed. The only downside is the restlessness but melodramatic sense of unwanted sleepless nights. All I got to say to everyone keep taking what you are prescribed."

Phil. B. (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2017

"I am very very sensitive to medication. My psychiatrist and I tried several meds before landing on this one, which my body can actually tolerate. I was extremely depressed. Nothing seemed to lift the fog. After taking Abilify 2mg (at night), I noticed it's benefits a week later. I'm more determined, focused, and actually want to get healthier. No suicidal thoughts. Don't feel like a zombie. It does make me sleepy which is why I take it at night. It's been almost a month on this new medication and so far so good."

A925 May 12, 2017

"I've been taking abilify on and off for about eight years. I feel so flat. I use to be a go getter not anymore. I feel lazy with the abilify and lamictal combo. What should I do. I feel emotionally flat and people say I look lifeless."

Tina1988 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2017

"I have been on Antidepressants for years - After several different meds my doc has me on Celexa 40 mg - I was still experiencing anxiety and worsening depression so we tried Abilify 10 mg. It was terrific until day 6 when my anxiety was horrible and I couldn't sit still at all. This med tripled my anxiety so I stopped it. I'm now taking 1/2 my Celexa (20 mg) and I started myself back on Welbutrin today - finally, the anxiety caused by the Abilify is gone - I see my doctor tomorrow - but I was just wondering what else works on Anxiety?"

Boyz5 May 1, 2017

"Had to come off this med, experienced many side effects. My doctor put me on Lamictal (along with my anti-depressant and this combo worked well for me."

jaccar (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

"I have been taking 450 mg of bupropion and 20 mg escitalopram for about 3 years and the combination has been working pretty well to control my depression and anxiety. I had breakthrough depression a couple of times a week, when I would feel guilty about random things, worry about things I couldn't control and get pretty "weepy". My doctor prescribed abilify, starting at 2.5 mg and increased it to 5 mg. This helped a lot! However, I gained 25 pounds in 3 months. I am tapering off abilify, and will start 25 mg of lamictal tomorrow."

momkat21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2017

"Worst medication I've ever taken. Experienced every side effect except sudden death and compulsive gambling. Started to feel like a zombie devoid of anything real. If you're not psychotic, don't take this!!!"

Triple Dee (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 2, 2017

"I have experienced depression for years now and nothing seemed to work or I would get all of the side affects. A few weeks ago my Dr prescribed Abilify and wow, it works. I am taking 5mg a day currently. I say give it a try. It improved my mood my depression. After a few days. It has given me a better quality of life with my 10 yr old son. It has pulled me out of the dark . I hope it keeps working."

Shalshock (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

"I have been treated with situational depression that turned to a chemical imbalance and have tried just about every SSRI/ SNRI out there. I was on Cymbalta 60mg alone for several years and even with ability 2mg but it wasn't until I tried cymbalta 60mg with Abilify 5 mg that I saw real results I have more energy than I have had in several years, my anxiety and social anxiety levels have diminished to almost non existent. I don't seem to have any side effects from the Abilify. Hope some of you try my advice."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2017

"I`ve dealt with profound depression most of my adult life. I`ve gone the gamut of most antidepressants with varying degrees of success. Most, even the very useful, usually lose potency after a few yearsl Out of desperation, my physician prescribed a small dose of 2 mg of Abilify in conjunction with Wellbutrin. Within a few days, my energy levels skyrocketed and my mood greatly improved. Even though I`m concerned about the many side effects, I plan on staying with it while it still helps."

JC 69 February 9, 2017

"First I was afraid to start on this drug, I tried respiredone it was horrible - I had nightmares and fatigue, and I felt verry foggy. Doctor put me on abilify 2.5 mg in addition to effexor 300mg it works very well it gave me stability never been stable for long, no ups and downs it made my days better and really lift my mood! When I tried to stop I went into anxiety and depression so now I decide to go back on it. It really worth trying! No side affects except little fatigue. Life savior. No mood swings"

Deealt February 5, 2017

"I've suffered depression from 35 years. It started situational then was magnified by an intense traumatic brain injury in 2010. I've tried every AD on market. I had horrible side effects, trouble tapering down, and really no relief. On Abilify, no weight gain. No spaciness. No dilated pupils. This drug works. Even through a death 12/30 & husband Dxed BiP over Xmas. I'm not taking any other AD. 1mg. Plus Klonopin."

Sun Moon & Stars (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

"I was in a deep depression about a year ago. I was taking Lexepro and Ativan. I saw very little improvement after five months. My doctor added 2mg of Abilify. Within two days, the clouds had lifted. The worrying started to dissipate. I was able to think clearer with each passing day. I did notice a weight gain, but my doctor said this was because I was feeling better. I dropped the Abilify after about six months. My advice is to stay with it. As with most drugs, you start to feel better and don't need it any more. Wrong. Circumstances come up and you are in the pits again. I started back on Abilify last night."

JFW61 December 21, 2016

"Been on Abilify for 7 weeks now, starting at 5mg and increasing to 10mg 2 weeks ago. Worked within a day or 2 in that I could function again and has continued to mostly inmprove my depression although I do still have bad days I think this is a great drug"

Karen654 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

"I take generic Cymbalta and have for 2 years. One day it just sucked, I was like really down, depressed and living like a hermit. I have been taking 10 milligrams of Abilify on top of the cymbalta 60 milligrams and so far I actually feel normal for the first time in my life. I am now smiling and going out , looking forward to fresh air and conversation again. Thank you Abilify, I am now getting back to life."

Somoa73 November 29, 2016