User Reviews for Abilify

Abilify Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"Took Abilify 2mg / day for two weeks, so far so good. Upped the dosage to 5mg / day and things started to go very wrong for me. This medicine started giving me terrible panic attacks (after about a month in), and threw me into the worst mental state I’ve ever been in in my life. I also could not sit still for very long, and was generally tired throughout the day. This medicine may work well for you, but this medicine temporarily ruined my life."

AJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

"Abilify was awful. Caused severe dizziness and balance problems which led to many falls."

Dr. J (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2018

"Bad stomach issues, felt confused & dazed on first try. I’m gonna give it a shot for another week, but I’m becoming super paranoid on this ...."

kelliY (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2018

"I have been taking abilify for one to two years now and I don't feel any different. I still have panic attacks I still feel like crying and wanting to stay in bed all day. I feel scared all the time, I still feel depressed 24/7"

Kaitlynm394 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 3, 2018

"I haven't experienced any changes with this medication."

Twingirls1 February 15, 2018

"Horrific pain and stiffness in neck"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2018

"INSOMNIA and FEELING HORRIFICALLY HORRIBLE AFTER 1 DOSE. NO MORE POISON, PLEASE!!"

emg128 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

"While this medication can be obtained relatively cheaply, please make sure you read about any side effects it can cause. While I did feel a little better while taking it, I gained a significant amount of weight in a short period of time (40lbs in 2 months). I have since been taken off of it because the rapid weight gain was concerning to my PCP who relayed it to my Psychiatrist. Make sure you speak up if you are experiencing any of the side effects. Weight gain like I experienced is not worth me taking this medication."

Depressed in TX September 11, 2017

"To anyone just starting Abilify, please reconsider. I started it as an add-on to Lexapro. Initially, it helped me feel like getting out of bed in the morning with slightly more energy or a better outlook, or I just wasn't as groggy when I woke up. Initially, that was helpful & I got the Rx free or cheap, so I took it for over 2 years. When I finally realized all these new problems were connected to Abilify , it was too late... 50 lb weight gain, constant involuntarily movements of fingers, toes & tongue, mouth sores, wild, harmful actions with no conscience or regret, many more. Then the worst withdrawal symptoms.. I wished for death for months it was so awful. A year after stopping, I'm still not the same & probably never will be."

SCA0804 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 2, 2017

"This medicine made me have dream's that seem like reality night terrorism. Had me talking to and seeing people and things that were not there. I was talking to dead people! My family almost had me committed. A real vacation in a bottle is what I call it now! I'm so upset thank god I stop taking it when I did or who knows what else would or could have happened! Was a really bad vacation in a bottle!"

Hard2Luv (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2017

"I have taken every medicine that there is for my Major Depressive Disorder & the only thing that helped was Viibryd 40mg. So I've been on that for 2 years and last time I went back to my psychiatrist I told him that I still had a lot of days where I'm still extremely depressed. So he put me on Abilify 10mg once a day. Been taking that for almost a week. Well my problem is that both meds work great for me. But I've never had high blood pressure and I'm 37 years old. I went to my primary care Dr Friday and they put me on blood pressure meds. So I'm wondering if it's the Abilify causing me to have high blood pressure since all my life my blood pressure has been perfect till now."

Kriegelmomof2 June 18, 2017

"I agree w/ Triple Dee. This drug=the worst. It was suppose to help psychotics. It turned me into a zombie. Also turned me into a compulsive shopper, which can be accomplished from the couch I became glued to due to my zombie state. With no motivation, my house was a mess. And, the eating!!! OMG. I gained a pound a day. I have clinical depression & massive anxiety. I take 40mg of Viibryd. Tough tough drug to get on in the beginning, but I stuck to it & it's been a blessing. No sexual or eating side effects. I went on 450 WellButrin to survive Midwest winters. I stay on it year round. Anxiety-I take Xanax-four .5 pills a day-3 @ bedtime & I split the 4th-1/2 in the morning; 1/2 at dinner. Don't want all these drugs, but they keep me going & productive."

cyan18180055 May 31, 2017

"Been taking 5mg a day for 2 months in addition to Celexa for MDD. Don't feel much benefit,-- maybe a slightly more stable mood , but my blood pressure has dropped too much. I'm now starting a taper to see if it helps any better at 2.5 mg."

Cari7262782 May 29, 2017

"I prescribed Abilify adjunct 60mg Cymbalta I had been on for years during a very stressful and depressing time in my life. It was GREAT ! I was going to have to go into the hospital but it worked within 5 days!!! I was recommending it to everyone in my family! After being on it for 6 months, and gaining about 20 lbs., I developed a profound tremor or tic in my hand and I couldn't make it stop - not even at night so I couldn't sleep. They took me off the Abilify and within 4 weeks the tremor stopped completely. I also lost 25 lbs. without even trying since being off of it. Recently, I noticed increased depression and anxiety so I am trying other meds now to get back on track. So far Deplin & Latuda have not worked. Just started Rexulti...."

SC Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2017

"I'm on 5mg Abilify with a combination of Wellbutrin and lexipro medication therapy. Having no side effects. My sugar levels are within normal range and my BMI is at 23, normal range. I've had nothing but success on this medication. Previously, having to try numerous medications Atypical and second generation antidepressants, the regimen I take now has significantly decreased my symptoms of wanting to harm self and severe depression (isolation, poor self care, etc). This medication is awesome! I would definitely recommend to others."

Snowtippy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2017

"Abilify served me well over a two month period. Of all of the antidepressants that I have taken over the past 20 years, I would give Abilify the highest rating. However, one of its potential side effects can be significantly increased blood glucose levels in some Type 1 diabetics. Unfortunately I was one of these and I was never able to control these levels within an acceptable range and I had to discontinue Abilify as a result. These statements should be taken with caution since I was only able to take the drug for 8 weeks. I noted no other serious side-effects. I do suffer from ED but this is as much a result of 40 years of Type 1 diabetes as of any other factor."

StephenT (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

"2.5 mg Abilify and 50 mg Sertraline are magic combinations for my depression. other SSRI and monotherapy of Sertraline don't work but my psychiatrist adds 2.5 mg Abilify and now I can smile again!"

Dannyss December 1, 2016

"On the 2 0r 2.5 mg as an add on to Trintellix. Definite noticeable improvement on mood and energy. No weight gain. The effects seem to be intermittent, so I'm hopeful my dosage will be increased on the next visit to my P-doc. It shows potential of being a life changer for the positive. I think an up to 5 mg may do the trick :) Great there is a $4 generic for my insurance."

Hopeful MDD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

"I have been on various antidepressants for over 25 yrs. When I quit working, drinking and smoking, buried memories of my father's abuse rose up and almost killed me. Over the next 5 years I was hospitalized 5 times for a total of almost a year in Homewood in Guelph. (Every time I was admitted they built me up, but back at home I would deteriorate. Homewood saved my life). Life for me was much better after my husband retired 11 yrs ago (yes I am a senior). We bought a trailer in Florida and spend 6 months there every winter. However, every year during the 6 months in Ontario I would slowly go down hill until I did practically nothing, slept for a big part of the day, but always managed to hide my depression from my daughters and sister"

Spring - see next post rest (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2016

"I've had severe, reoccurring MDD for several years, aggravated by an eating disorder, self-harm, chronic insomnia, and compulsive behaviors. I've bounced around the whole SSRI; you name it, tried it. My Wellbutrin/Brintellix combo wasn't sufficient. I was exhausted, napping 2-3 hours midday, eating disorder raging, couldn't get out of bed. No motivation, flatness, etc. I've been taking 1mg Klonopin at 5:30p & bedtime, and 10mg Ambien when I go to sleep for a decade. I did NOT like Abilify. It did nothing to give me more energy or motivation. I gained 20 pounds in one month on the med, with NO SYMPTOMATIC RELIEF. Stopped after 6 wks, and have only lost 10lbs in the 6 mo, even with exercise & meal plan. Risperidol was no better. Crap drug!"

Hannah B September 19, 2016

"Several years ago I was prescribed Abilify as an add on to my Paxil 50 mg. Which I've been taking for 24 yrs for Major Depression. It was amazing. I was so happy. I became interested again in things that I used to enjoy. Unfortunately my only bad side effect was that it made me cry for absolutely no reason. I could be talking to someone about anything at all, and the tears would start. I had to stop taking it because nobody wanted to be around me anymore. My doctor has never heard of this happening with Abilify. Lucky me."

Cheerio2 September 16, 2016

"After trying over 5 medications (Lithium, welburtin, on, on,) I thought nothing would work and got into a really bad depressive episode not leaving house for months at time and thinking of just ending it all. Than finally heard of Abilify and it saved me. I am now up early, open blinds, smile, do things, laugh and im only on my second week. I am at 10 mg day and have No side effects, nothing but happiness. This medication saved my life, because after years of trying other non responsive medications I thought I couldnt live like that no more. Abilify is all i take but I heard you can add zoloft to it for a even better effect on depression and bipolar. I hope everyone find happiness and the sun shines for you. peace and love"

Thesunwillshine August 31, 2016

"I have been taking Abilify for 10 yrs.I started when I was 16 yrsold after mental breakdown &going to be 26 yrsold on Oct. I never went over 15 mg. I'm currently taking 2.5 mg & I find it quite effective. I did gain some weight 15lb at the beginning but your mental health is very important. If you want to keep healthy and not gain weight while taking Abilify just eat healthy and hit the gym. I'm 5'6, have a curvy/slim toned body and I take Abilify and I feel great with my body. I'm 145lbs with muscle weight and I'm quite happy, im planning on some abs, thus Abilify hasn't stopped me. It's all in your head. Honestly this medication works well for me & I don't think its the major reason for weight gain. Always consult with your physiatrist"

NoAmmmiMag (taken for 10 years or more) August 10, 2016

"My diagnosis Panic Disorder. But I struggle with anxiety, depression, ADHD and BPD as well. I've taken tons of medications to deal with my disorders. After being hospitalized for a suicide attempt, I was prescribed Wellbutrin first, which helped with suicidal tendencies. Then I was put on Lamictal (which I would also give a 10 star rating to). It made my anxiety and panic attacks vanish. However, I still felt empty. Like I had no purpose. My doctor finally put me on a low dose of Abilify. It helped, so much. It made a world of a difference in my life. I am SCARED to die now, when before I only wished I'd die. I take 15 mg now and it is amazing. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't had luck with traditional antidepressants."

NicoleB1234 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2016

"Update on my previous post: I have seen multiple doctors and my skin has turned blue in some places, they say it is a side effect of the medication. Do not let them tell you it is a rash. It is not and Benadryl does not help. You are not crazy, yes your skin is changing colors in random spots."

Xoxoxkel (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2016