User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Autism.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Autism

"the med did make him gain weight in the beginning but I put him in special needs track and I make him go hiking, walking and running to help keep him fit he is the size for his height I noticed a lot of people said weight gain. We initially needed the med for my son who is 14 years old and autistic-semi to non verbal , who became somewhat aggressive once puberty hit and I had no choice . so he has been on it for about 2 years and it seems to be working but I fear what will happen if he ever is taken off of it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2016

"My 18 year old son has been on 2 mg for 15 months; he was never aggressive, but got irritable after our divorce, he started having issues puking with anxiety. He continues to have issues with repeated vomiting. He has not gained weight and I am now thinking that is because he vomits so much. :("

JaxMomma (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

"My 8 year old has been on abilify for almost a year now. She has gained about 30 lbs, but she is very active and still fit. She is autistic and has severe aggression tendencies toward herself and others. She had been on respiridol before and it did nothing for her. Now, she takes 11 ml and we increase it 1 ml every four weeks until she is more stable. She has greatly improved on this medication but still has a long way to go."

Red SmS December 6, 2015

"My high-functioning ASD son started taking 5mg of Abilify at age 11 to control his irritability and aggressive outbursts ( never hurt anyone else, but would throw himself repeatedly into the wall when he became frustrated ). The Abilify helped immensely. At age 14, a new physician wanted to see how he would handle being off the medication. Seemed okay for the first month, but by month three he ended up in the emergency room on a hold for suicidal ideation. He was immediately put back on Abilify and things started getting better. Now at age 16, he takes 15mg once a day. He's more social, more conversational, and just doing well overall. His weight is ideal for his height."

gbs mom (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 23, 2015

"Autistic Savant. High functioning. 5mg Abilify every morning. Miracle drug So thankful for research and development of disease. Please try Abilify if you are high functioning Autistic !"

Mae Queen (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2015

"The doctor of my 13 year old autistic daughter put her on 5mg of Abilify last October. The first three months were great. Her mood swings decreased. She was less destructive and it was a lot quieter at home and in school. We started seeing the behaviors coming back a little at a time. At month 7, the behaviors were back full swing and much worse than they were before she was put on Abilify. She also gained 42 pounds and we couldn't keep her out of food unless we locked the cabinets and refrigerator. She has been off of Abilify since mid July and her behavior has turned around completely. Now she is on an "as needed" medicine that we only give her when we see a meltdown coming, and that is not very often."

Exhausted Autism Parent (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2015

"Abilify changed the life of my son who is 15 years with Autism. He takes 15 mg in the morning and it has allowed me the chance to take him to a restaurant or the movies. I love the changes it brought to our life."

Mariam Karim (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

"My autistic sons behaviors were out of control. Self injury. After four months and twenty pounds his behaviors came back. He is now an insulin dependant diabetic. I believe the med trigger diabetes. Although I am fully aware diabetes is an autoimmune disease. I caution all parents to have A1C and have a baseline of blood work. It's not just managing calories. His appetite was insatiable."

jbsmom April 6, 2015

"My stepson is now 13 years old and has been on 5mg dosage of Abilify for about 2-3 years. We discovered it when we saw a commercial for a study involving autistic children with aggressive tendencies. Since then, his behavior has improved 100% at both home and school. The only side effect, as mentioned by others, is weight gain. To this I say, take a more active role in your kid's diet and force him/her to exercise. This will offset the side-effects while still reaping the benefits."

DavenDallas (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2014

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After much deliberation and many, many meetings, we finally decided to put our 7 year old on low dose Abilify. My child is officially diagnosed PDD-NOS, which is an autism umbrella disorder. At first the low 2mg dose seemed pretty effective in controlling the anxiety and outburst. However; when our doctor prescribed a higher dose, 5 mg, the exhaustion and weight gain were out of control. My child gained roughly 45 pounds in six months. Even when we stopped the medication for the summer months. Abilify seems to make my child very hungry, but unable to convert any calories into energy, simply storing all food as fat. We came to the decision that the side effects were out weighing the desired effects, and are trying a new medication. "

involved mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My autistic 12 year old son was put on a low dose of Abilify in August 2012 to help with mood swings and anxiety. His emotions stabilized beautifully, but he gained an excessive amount of weight and an extreme increase in appetite. In a matter of 5 months he went from 100 pounds to 139 pounds. We've had to stop the Abilify and find an alternative so we can work on getting him to a healthier BMI."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2013

"My 6 yo was on Abilify for two months. His temper tantrums and ability to concentrate were greatly improved, however, the gained 20 pounds and the doctor took him off it. He was also very weepy and emotional on it."

Anonymous August 29, 2012

"Our 11year old son with autism began Abilify mainly to combat fears (thunder, loud sounds, etc.) and to allow him calm down. It helped with that. It also regulated his sleep cycle very nicely. But he has put on a lot of weight. I tried taking him off of it, but the facial hitting (he hits himself) and screaming were really bad. Overall a good, benign medicine."

Anonymous March 4, 2012

"This medicine is wonderful! My 9 yr old has been taking 5mg once a night for almost a year. Total turn around! The only side effect we have is increased appetite and weight gain. I do worry about his blood sugar...but the changes are seriously unreal!"

kristinWV January 14, 2012

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My 10 year old son, was on Risperdal and it was horrible for him. He started taking 2mg Abilify along with Celexa and in 2 months in school he was doing 70% better. This medication did make his appetite increase and he did gain weight, but not too much weight. Once his body got used to it, he began to have trouble sleeping, so his doctor increased his dosage to 4mg a day, 2mg in the morning and 2 mg at night. He is sleeping well again, and appetite has seem to stabilize. This medicine has been great for my son."

Anonymous August 27, 2011

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Abilify works wonders, but it can have long term side effects. Blood test are taken every 6 - 8 months to make sure everything is okay."

Joe Joe My Boy December 9, 2009

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate