User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I have been on abilify for 6 weeks now and am still experiencing anxiety, agitation, constipation. I also feel sedated although I feel like I can't sit still."

Angel 23 March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Total Mania, could not sleep, monitored sleep showed never in REM sleep at all over an 8 hour period. Anxious, increased Resp Rate, wide awake, no hunger, racking thoughts. Unable to finally function at job related to no sleep. This drug is horrid!"

Manic now January 13, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Diabetes, thoughts of self-destruction , compulsive behavior,no energy, etc"

Edward Hanley December 23, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on abilify for 4 months and had to go off. It's a great medicine for bipolar. I could tell when I missed a dose because I would flip out. The down fall on why I went off was the weight gain. I gained 30 pounds in 3 months with just snacking. Dr told me it slows the metabolism down. I think it stopped it. So give it a try."

Feefee40215 November 28, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"this was a terrible drug for me. I can't tell you any physical side affect because I stopped taking it immediately after a week. This drug made me scared to go to work. Every time I get ready for work this incredible fear about going to work would possess me. I would call my job and tell them am sick when I was actually afraid. I would have my aunt call my job for me to call out because I was afraid. I would try to bring courage to go to work but the closer I was to work the worse the fear would be. I called out 4 times in a row. I almost got fired. when I stopped taking it, it all went away."

eliasadc (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"i have very mixed feelings about this medication. i was given this for mood stability about a year before i was diagnosed bipolar. it worked really fast. my mood was very stable. but at what cost? It started out with slurred speech and constant drowsiness. eventually that faded away and then it turned into perhaps the worst thing I've ever had to deal with called internalised restlessness. It is also called akathsia. If I die and go to hell, it would be to the land of akathsia. I recommend this drug if you're lucky enough to not experience akathsia. it works really fast. they tried to prescribe me congentin to help, it barely did."

dogy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is one of the nastiest drugs i taken for bp. It gave me major depression,major anxiety,restlessness, and major mood swings. I wouldnt recommend this drug to my worse enemy."

Bmz (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'd love to say this med was good for me. I can't. I've never had such an awful response to a medication. After 1 week of being on it I began to experience odd sensations. My arms felt disconnected, I couldn't get comfortable. At the 2 week mark I had to leave work two days in a row, customers were terrifying me, my pulse was 180! By this time my anxiety slowly shot up so high I was paralyzed. I couldn't walk across the room. I literally was stuck in a chair. Everything was extremely terrifying. Just sitting I was afraid to move. Once I saw my dr, found out I had suffered a severe panic attack that sent me into an anxiety attack for TWO weeks! I was ill for six months. Read the pamphlet with the drug , it lists SEVERE ANXIETY!"

BATEBALDI1 October 13, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I absolutely hated this drug. My thoughts cycled so fast and I became 100 times more paranoid than I already am. I wouldn't leave the house and even preferred my closet. It multiplied my OCD as well."

Blue Violet October 11, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking abilify about 10 years. Does cause weight gain and for myself no sexual desire. The swings from manic to depression continue but are manageable. Do not take yourself off this drug "cold turkey". Caused many psychotic episodes for me which disappeared when returning to the drug. Sad movies no longer make me cry. Don't have great joyful moments either. I don't stagger around like when I was on lithium. I do have hypertension not always controlled by the 3 antihypertensive I'm taking."

Kimky (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine at 5mg a day every day for a month was terrible. It made me have panic attacks and made me super paranoid, i was paranoid before but it made it even worse, would not recommend"

Bigboss1974 September 15, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was first put on abilify in 2004. It is very effective, and has been the most useful medication for me. I have developed gallstones, have a fatty liver and have high triglycerides. It is definitely not because of my diet. I was a vegan for 23 years and I am very strict with what I eat. I now have to get my gallbladder removed and I think it has to do with taking psychiatric drugs over the years. It is well noted now that abilify causes gallstones, a fatty liver and high triglycerides. I have been in constant pain for three months and just now, after 12 years of taking abilify, may discontinue the use and start something new. Overall, for the mood disorder this was highly effective and useful in treating my bipolar depression."

PostmodernistCupie August 19, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just 5 mg made me blow up like a balloon. It increased my anxiety and I experienced blurry vision. It may work for some, but not for me."

DisorderJoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Not the drug for me. It made me very jittery. Restless legs +++."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take abilify 15mg for voices and a mood stabilizer. I take it in the form of an injection and I've been on it for 7 months. It has dulled the voices drastically and stopped my severe mania. I am now able to think logically and the constant brain fog that I was suffering from has been lifted.I gave it 9 out of 10 because I still suffer from depression related to my ptsd. I currently am taking 20mg of Fluoxetine for my severe anxiety and depression.The only side effects I had from abilify was seeing faint flashes in the dark and slight tongue tremors. Other than that ablilify has worked wonders for me . I no longer experience mania and I am so grateful because I was extremely wild when I was manic."

TheLoneGirl August 14, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This med sucks, anxiety level went up. Couldn't sleep couldn't concentrate. Can't spend quality time with my son. Yet to find the miracle drug."

Jburn101 August 6, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"10 months on 5mg abilify + wellbutrin and lithium. Gained 15-18 pounds. Found out this week that Abilify causes weight gain and it's the culprit - not an injury I'd been blaming it on. And I'd blamed myself and started "disordered eating" out of desperation. It gets rid of my mood swings and crying for no reason. I feel generally good except foggy while at work where I do not enjoy being. Unmotivated at work. Moderately motivated in personal life - better than in years. Absolutely quitting this drug. Now for the withdrawal I wasn't aware of when I decided to take it... I think this is a dangerous drug for anyone who is prone to weight gain or diabetes. Can't believe my pdoc didn't say anything when I complained about weight gain last time."

Slynnns (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Ability 15mg on June 17th and now its June 25th so I've been on it for 8 days. On the 17th I was admitted into a mental hospital because of my bipolar and extreme anxiety. I'm taking it at night along with: Divalproex(Depakote)750mg, Hydroxyzine(Vistaril)50mg, Trazodone(Desyrel)50mg, and Clonazepam(Klonopin)1mg It seems to be helping me along with the other medications. So far I dont think I've had any side effects, knock on wood. I definitely recommend this medication if you have bipolar but make sure you take it also with a mood stabalizer. If you take it alone it can cause severe side effects."

StayStrongJustBreath92 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking abilify and I noticed my mood became nothingness. I didn't feel happy nor sad. I just felt nothing. Has anyone experienced the same things? Prior to the feelings of nothingness, the night before (after a took it), I started becoming manic then about an hour later, I started becoming suicidal. Took Benadryl and became calm and sleepy. My manic and depression episodes were usually on a day-to-day basis whereas when I took abilify, it shifted within an hour or so. Also, the side effects were so bad I couldn't get out of bed. Felt very dizzy with headache, wanted to puke, heart rate was faster than usual, loss of appetite, and weak (very weak)."

Birdadoo (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's only been two weeks but Abilify 2mg, added to Wellbutrin 150mg, has been amazing. I was misdiagnosed for many years and it's sad to realize how much time was lost to my illness that wasn't being properly controlled. I'd only taken ADs until now. I experienced dramatic improvement within DAYS and continued relief from symptoms which often left me homebound and sobbing with no interest or ability to work or socialize, even perform minor chores and the anxiety became crippling. Side effects include some vision issues and a spell of overwhelming fatigue a few hours after taking the med. Once that dissipates, I feel a lot of energy and am able to function very well. Fingers crossed for continued success. Much luck to all. There is hope."

meloosh (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I couldn't really tell whether it worked or not for Bipolar 1 Disorder. I was on a few different medications at once: Lamictal, Lorazepam (as needed), and for a brief time, Seroquel with the Abilify. The dose was 5 mg since I was experiencing a mixed episode with some paranoid thoughts. I didn't notice it being particularly helpful for depression. Maybe there was some slight mood stabilization, but not enough for me to really feel relief. I was taken off of it for this reason. Also, even at 5 mg, it caused me some restlessness and a sensation similar to a headache. It's expensive too."

Anonymous June 4, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken Abilify for around 5-6 years. I initially was prescribed it at the age of 15 which is way too early in my opinion. However its had relatively few side effects, and has by and large helped me from my tendency to veare towards psychosis or extreme mood swings. Don't try and get off this drug on your own, it can have horrible consequences. I'm not totally sure what was the Abilify withdrawal and what was my illness, but I had some very extreme mania, that may have been a side effect of withdrawal. Overall Abilify is a very serious drug, don't take it lightly, and I wouldn't recommend it for depression. But it has helped me tremendously, and I don't have much else to say that is negative about it."

phoebe94 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 2, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taken abilify for 10 days for bipolar and bpd. I am sleeping well and the suicidal thoughts have vanished. However, I feel very low and incapable of fulfilling my responsibilities, ie medical appt, seeing my son. My partner prised me outside for a walk and I just sat on the ground for an hour incapable of moving. It's not like me to not want to go out. Feel utterly useless. Due to see my psychiatrist in another 10 days. The only advice I've had is to 'be strong'. However am simultaneously coming off quetiapine due to weight gain. I have not rated this medicine numerically as I am so confused. But personally I feel horrible. Better luck to anyone trying this medicine!"

Anon611 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have only taken Abilify for about 2 weeks but it has been the best experience yet with meds. Very mild side effects that only lasted for 2 days. I wake up early with tons of energy and motivation. The thought of leaving the house during the day doesn't make me want to crawl in a hole. I have not had ONE depressing thought or episode and for someone with Bi Polar, that is AMAZING."

Anonymous May 28, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took Abilify along with Lithium. Abilify is very helpful for mania mood swings. I also noticed that when "voices" or loud thoughts in my mind were disruptive, Abilify was able to remove those. As most drugs, there were some side effects I did not like. Abilify did cause me to feel a bit dazed or doped, which also caused sleepiness during the day. It did not help me with depression, and seemed to contribute to it because of the sleepiness and dazed feeling. However, this drug was effective with the mania, and handy to have is the loud thoughts or "voices" are a problem."

Manuel231 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2016