User Reviews for Abilify

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I took it once which made a horrible experience for myself. I woke up from a nap and I had double vision, nausea, vomiting and fainted because of Abilify."

Tzwashere (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

"I'm not sure what mental issues I have exactly, they've told me this and that over the past 15 years. I got people talking going on and seeing them. I also have anger outbursts and take things out on myself, but doesn't happen when I hear and see the people. So anyway, I tried Risperdal before from my doc and it helped me to be able to read and understand what I read, but with Abilify it's not as good, although Risperdal made me have gynecomastia big time, and Abilify doesn't cause as much prolactin. I think it's a decent medication, but the voices and seeing people are still strong and break through the veil, even the mask of the medication, so I'm not cured. But it's better than nothing I guess. But one day I may go off of it."

Boaneldhaoel December 2, 2017

"This drug has been a lifesaver to me. It's helped provide me with mood stability with an antidepressant effect, whereas lithium only controlled the mania part of my mood. I use this in combination with other drugs and so far there hasn't been any side effects. I tried decreasing the dosage, and within 2 days I noticed a difference in my mood. I would definitely recommend this drug. This has made a difference in my mood, the way I think, and my overall perspective. This improved my motivation to get work done, since I wouldn't be just sitting around reminiscing in a negative thought loop. It gives me mental freedom and allows me to escape brain fog that has imprisoned my thoughts. Seriously, don't be afraid to try this drug"

Josh1447 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2017

"Was put on Abilify to control hypomania. I'm very, very sensitive to pretty much every medication. Initial I had a stomach ache that only lasted one night and some tiredness the first two days. However... After this I had severe hypomania and restlessness that just didn't go away. It wasn't akasteisia though. Unfortunately I can't reach the mood stabilizing effect - being at least 10 mg - since I can't go any higher than 1.25 mg without having side effects such as emotional numbness, numbness of my face, twitching, increased eye blinking - which of course scares me since there is a risk of Tardive Dyskinesia. It's definitely a very powerfull drug. BUT it really did help my depression and anxiety, just didn't help control my hypomania. LOL"

Bipolardance (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2017

"The medication, at first, did was it was supposed to do. I was a shut in with some paranoia thrown in and hadn't left my house in over a year, except to go to doctors appointments and get groceries in the house. At first I found the medication got me out and about and got me back into the real world. I signed up for college, got in contact with friends I hadn't talked with in ages, and started living again. For that, this drug was fine. Then the side effects started kicking in. Keep in mind I was on 2mg of this drug and even then the side effects were bad enough to knock me OUT of college and suffer something called "Depersonalization through Disassociation". One of the scariest experiences I think I've ever had. I don't recommend it."

DDPKS October 20, 2017

"This medication was the worst experience of my life and I've been through a lot of rubbish. I experienced insomnia depression anxiety and pesudo ME on abilify. I was on it for 3 months and I spent my time feeling lobotomised and wanting to give up on life. It took me 3 months to fully get back to my old self. Going between depressed and manic. I found a medication that works for me with out professional help afterwards."

OWER (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2017

"When I first starting taking abilify, I was about 14 and a half and 130 pounds, and it worked great. My mood was great, side effects were minimal. However, over the course of about a year I have gained almost 60 pounds, and that was while playing two varsity sports and a club sport that whole time, so I was active majority of that time. When I came off it recently, I lost about 10 pounds over two weeks, but I was much worse than I was before I went on it, (which I find weird), so I was put back on. It is impossible to get the weight to go away."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2017

"I got extreme manic symptom after I used Abilify for one month. I feel very anxious and scared about everything. I have an illusion energy which leads me push up double times more than no medication usage, but I feel very weak and extreme anxiety in the next few days. It increases my distance between up and down emotion very far away, but the distance between up and down emotion should be neutral. After I withdraw all of them carefully with herbal sleeping pills for alternative, my distant emotion becomes shorter which changes to be neutral condition. When my emotion and mood become neutral, my excessive emotional reaction no longer appear anymore."

Anouniemous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

"I was given this medicine by a regular medical doctor in tandem with Prozac and Ambien. What a horrible combo!!!! After being on Abilify for several weeks every nerve ending in my body felt like they were on fire. I was hyper and couldn't stay seated. I found out that this medicine was burning my brain and causing Akathisia. I called my doctor and told him what was going on and he wanted to double the milligram. I said....ohhhhhhhh no your not!!!!! Because of this medicine combo things got so bad I tried suicide back in February of 2015. I took 13 sleeping pills. The hospital doctor in the psych ward said the combination I was on was wrong and he was surprised I wasn't in the hospital earlier !!!"

TJLEONG (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

"I give Abilify the highest rating. I'm a 42 year old female with PTSD, Bipolar Depression, ADHD. I have tried every anti-depressant out there, from Amoxapine to Zyprexa, in which I experienced some extremely negative side effects from. So, needless to say, I am rather reluctant when having to start taking a medication that I've never tried before. (I've been taking 60mg of Prozac (fluoxetine) daily for the past several years). As of late, I've been experiencing increased symptoms in my bipolar depression. My doctor prescribed Abilify 5mg about 2 months ago. I have noticed such a positive change in myself. After only about 5-7 days of taking Abilify did I start to notice a change in my mood, attitude, outlook on life. It's been great!"

asklady75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

"It's just silence in my head, its hard to think. I don't have schizophrenia. I just can't really think clearly. All night I stayed up dizzy and nauseous but I'm gonna continue the medicine in hopes that it loosens up and keeps me mellow headed. After the initial nausea I felt pretty chill. (If it gets better I will keep you guys updated.)"

Michael Shmakyl August 4, 2017

"I had a bad time with this drug. It worked on my mood, but whenever I stood up, I got dizzy. I fell down the stairs once. Plus even with insurance, it's really expensive."

bipolarbunny (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

"I like this medication, but it causes my prolactin levels to go up. Which in turn cause my breast to leak milky fluid. Dr said he thinks it is from Invega injection. I just cannot take this side effect"

Patient2 July 11, 2017

"I have been on this for three days. The first day was horrific and I was definitively going to quit. I felt more trapped and traumatized by the 'problem things' I am dealing with than ever. The weird thing is I liked my psychiatrist but I felt the drug was killing me. I was horrified by some of the things I am dealing with but now three days later I feel it is starting to balance things out and put me in a humored mood from my 'problems' rather than a traumatized one. I swore off of all psychiatric pills for the past fourteen years, but decided to give it another shot. In the big picture, I think it is the right decision, but it is making me worrisomely hungry."

charge It Up (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

"I didn't notice a big difference on Ablify. I feel more level headed but also I feel more indecisive, dizzy and restlessness. I was on 10 mg for 3 months and the restlessness was so bad I couldn't sit still."

Anonymous June 26, 2017

"I've been prescribed ability and loxapac for a manic episode on May 19th for slightly more than three weeks. It worked well but early June I started to feel unable to sit still at some places. Around June 10th I had terrible anxiety and panic attacks, it was pure torture, so back to the institution. Had to wait two days until a doctor showed up , gave me something that stopped it all and removed the two drugs. It might be loxapac. Fact is, since then, there is another torture. Akathisia in the form of wanting to walk all the time. It's been one week now and thanks god it stops at night. I want to live (I'm not even 20) I pray it stops fast l've suffered enough. I really hate Abilify or Loxapac"

Anonymous June 19, 2017

"Started taking Abilify in August of 2016. The day after I wanted to drink. I'm a recovering alcoholic, called my physciatrist and she switched seroquel to Thorazine. And I got over the next couple of days. I just received an inheritance somehow I ended up with 191 Groupons, online shopping I couldn't have controlled so much in an amnesia state. Wouldn't have known this was happening. Went to Dr and hospitals 8 or 9 times with different things of Abilify! I had an suicide attempt in March. I stayed awake for 4 days afterwards. I've wrecked my car 4 times. I have TD and Akatasia now. I've never had a drug complicate me as much! I was also severely anorexic."

Abilify ruined my life June 15, 2017

"I have bipolar II, cycle up in spring and major depressive in the fall. I have tried lamictal, great drug but got the rash, geodon, ok but felt like I was drunk, latuda, got the jaw pain whitch was awful. Ability seems to help with the overwhelming agitation I get in the spring time. I hope it is as good in the fall for my depression phase."

Cptnken May 15, 2017

"I've been on abilify for almost a month the only side effect I have is waking up in the middle of the night a few times I have actually lost 12 pounds I am eating good and drinking plenty of water so I'm sure that helps I'm also on Zoloft and topamax all in all it's a much better drug than my previous geodon I would recommend it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

"After taking anti-psychotic medications for 9 years and trying just about every single one of them, I have finally found one that is working for me, at this point in my life. I started this medication (Abilify) nearly 4 months ago and the positive changes I’ve seen in my life make me so happy. I have lost almost 30 pounds within these last several months, I have been more active with my children, and I actually get off the couch and walk and enjoy life. I’ve been involved with my “FitBit” challenges which I would’ve never attempted to even think about doing before. My manic episodes are very rare and less erratic. Before when I would be on a anti-psychotic medication I would feel like I was in a “zombie mode” barely functioning day by day. The only downfall I have with this medication (Abilify), which is a side effect, is if I get up to quickly I get dizzy and just collapse. Now I’m at a plateau with my weight, but I’m not gaining weight either. I give this Anti-Psychotic Medication a 9 out of 10."

Charlotte9459 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2017

"Excellent. Depression lifted fast. Stabilizes my mood very well, as a bonus I spontaneously los 55 lbs! All that weight came from Seroquel and Zyprexa. Con, has a negative effect on sleep, I need melatonin to be able to sleep. Also my blood pressure is suddenly a lot lower, 102/63 causing some light headedness during the day. It's however the first med that is able to stabilize my mood very well with very acceptable side effects."

Blueszz (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2017

"I'm not an easy patient, unsatisfied with the weight gain from the typical atypicals, lacking an 'oomph' from lithium, allergic to lamotrgine and anti-depressants give me a one way ticket to the manic rollercoaster. I started Abilify and within 3 days I was hypermanic and nauseous to boot. No sleep, spending $400 on some bed sheets seemed like a marvellous idea, thrill seeking etc and throwing up every 3 hours. However my psychiatrist guided me through it with sleep meds and something to settle the stomach and I'm so glad I pushed through. Yeah, the restlessness is an issue but I'd like to consider myself an 'experience and going out' person now. Anything better than the listlessness of depression or meds that are supposed to cure it."

Noekster (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

"I have rapid-cycling bipolar and have been on Abilify for a little over 7-8 months. At first, I was on the Abilify by its self and I experienced worsened anxiety and depression. I was thinking about switching drugs after a few weeks of these negative feelings not going away, so my Pdoc added Zoloft to my mix. This combination was a life saver for me. I would definitely recommend using Abilify as an add-on. My mania is manifested as rage, impulsiveness, and rapid negative thoughts in my head and Abilify stopped that for me. The only negative side effect I have now is weight gain. I've only gained 8 pounds, but I have to ignore my food cravings."

veee March 27, 2017

"I took this med for 2 weeks. Within 3 days I was in full thrown into full a total manic state. I was awake every night by 3am because I couldn't sleep. I spent quite a significant amount of money in a short amount of time! I also put 4 pounds on in this time. The only positive thing I can say is that it gave me energy. The reason my pdoc tried me on it was depression and lack of energy. I also have bipolar and have been on Lithium for 3 years and have been steady until I took Abilify. Needless to say I have stopped taking this med."

Lpapa March 26, 2017

"I have been on abilify for 6 weeks now and am still experiencing anxiety, agitation, constipation. I also feel sedated although I feel like I can't sit still."

Angel 23 March 24, 2017