User Reviews for Abilify

Abilify Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This drug was initially good at mitigating some aspects of mania for me. It also made me feel less anxious and I cared less about what others thought of me for a few months. The drug seemed to loose its effectiveness and my psychiatrist said it may have been amplifying self harm thoughts. For these reasons I give it a 5/10. I am now on risperidol."

Tyler (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

"It did not stabilize my moods. I’m still all over the place, and the fact that I can’t sit still get really under my nerves. I’m super paranoid on this. I feel 10x worse than I did before. It messed me up completely. Side Effects: Severe akathisia, High anxiety, Paranoia, Delusions, Mania, Depression, Suicidal Ideation. I only took this for 2 weeks at a low dose of 5mg and I'M DONE."

TJ (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

"Horrible experience with Abilify. Was like taking speed, but in a really inefficient mess of a way. Could not keep on top of my work, would start a million things and finish none. Stopped after less than a week of use."

bpd789 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

"Weight gain and depression"

cls (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2018

"I have a love-hate relationship with this drug. On one hand, it immediately stopped my paranoid thoughts and delusions and made me feel normal again.. mentally. On the other hand, it gave me this unshakable restless and irritated energy. I wasn't able to sit still, complete anything I loved, or even listen to friends. If you don't mind feeling like you have to run a marathon an hour this might work for you."

Paranoid (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2018

"I was on abilify for a diagnosis of mixed bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder following a hospitalization. I was on it for about a year . I found it helpful, and easily tolerated at first - it helped reduce hallucinations and paranoia while improving my fluctuating mood. However, even at its highest dose, it wasn’t strong enough or potent enough for me I suppose - it just didn’t match up. I continued to have some paranoia and whenever I was more upset than usual, I’d have breakthrough hallucinations. What made the docs take me off of it was the oral twitching I developed and bizarre tongue movements, which are signs of tardive dyskinesia, a rare side effect. Newer antipsychotics have less instances of this condition, but it’s still possible. Anyway, I was taken off of it and placed on another antipsychotic. Still have tongue movements though... An overall okay drug, it works for a lot of people, but not everyone!"

Sunguppy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2018

"I have been on abilify since Sept 2017. I haven't gained weight, no side effects so far and no anxiety. This drugs helps me to focus and concentrate. It also keeps my moods stable. I take this with lithium 1200mg and seroquel 100mg for sleep. Hopefully it keeps on working."

lil eskimo (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

"I've suffered from Bipolar 2 and GAD and ADD for 15 yrs now. I take Lamictal, Effexor XR, Abilify and Adderall. Not until I started Abilify 3 weeks ago have I had any improvement with energy levels and depression. I have treatment resistant depression and my anxiety causes me to not be able to work and I barely want to leave the house. But since starting Abilify, I feel almost fantastic. I wake up early ready to start my day. And I've never been a morning person. I'm more positive about my life and I am even thinking about getting a job. I haven't worked in 6 years. But I do have problems staying asleep . I mean, its 3:06am and I am wide awake writing this. So yeah, restless sleep. And the sexual side effects aren't good. Total lack of interest which is difficult when you're in a relationship. But I'm not willing to stop this medication.The good far outweighs the bad in so so many ways. Good luck to all and give this med a try"

Jengar January 31, 2018

"One day and done. I've never experienced side effects like this before. I took it before bed and then was up every few hours, restless, mind racing. Finally I shot up at 4am and NEEDED to shower. While in there my head was so heavy, I couldn't stand any more. I had to rest my head. Then I got so nauseated I started to dry heave. Now I'm heavy headed, blurry, dizzy, restless, & afraid to stand up or drive. I will never take this drug again."

Youdontknowmebut January 18, 2018

"I took it once which made a horrible experience for myself. I woke up from a nap and I had double vision, nausea, vomiting and fainted because of Abilify."

Tzwashere (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

"I'm not sure what mental issues I have exactly, they've told me this and that over the past 15 years. I got people talking going on and seeing them. I also have anger outbursts and take things out on myself, but doesn't happen when I hear and see the people. So anyway, I tried Risperdal before from my doc and it helped me to be able to read and understand what I read, but with Abilify it's not as good, although Risperdal made me have gynecomastia big time, and Abilify doesn't cause as much prolactin. I think it's a decent medication, but the voices and seeing people are still strong and break through the veil, even the mask of the medication, so I'm not cured. But it's better than nothing I guess. But one day I may go off of it."

Boaneldhaoel December 2, 2017

"This drug has been a lifesaver to me. It's helped provide me with mood stability with an antidepressant effect, whereas lithium only controlled the mania part of my mood. I use this in combination with other drugs and so far there hasn't been any side effects. I tried decreasing the dosage, and within 2 days I noticed a difference in my mood. I would definitely recommend this drug. This has made a difference in my mood, the way I think, and my overall perspective. This improved my motivation to get work done, since I wouldn't be just sitting around reminiscing in a negative thought loop. It gives me mental freedom and allows me to escape brain fog that has imprisoned my thoughts. Seriously, don't be afraid to try this drug"

Josh1447 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2017

"Was put on Abilify to control hypomania. I'm very, very sensitive to pretty much every medication. Initial I had a stomach ache that only lasted one night and some tiredness the first two days. However... After this I had severe hypomania and restlessness that just didn't go away. It wasn't akasteisia though. Unfortunately I can't reach the mood stabilizing effect - being at least 10 mg - since I can't go any higher than 1.25 mg without having side effects such as emotional numbness, numbness of my face, twitching, increased eye blinking - which of course scares me since there is a risk of Tardive Dyskinesia. It's definitely a very powerfull drug. BUT it really did help my depression and anxiety, just didn't help control my hypomania. LOL"

Bipolardance (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2017

"The medication, at first, did was it was supposed to do. I was a shut in with some paranoia thrown in and hadn't left my house in over a year, except to go to doctors appointments and get groceries in the house. At first I found the medication got me out and about and got me back into the real world. I signed up for college, got in contact with friends I hadn't talked with in ages, and started living again. For that, this drug was fine. Then the side effects started kicking in. Keep in mind I was on 2mg of this drug and even then the side effects were bad enough to knock me OUT of college and suffer something called "Depersonalization through Disassociation". One of the scariest experiences I think I've ever had. I don't recommend it."

DDPKS October 20, 2017

"This medication was the worst experience of my life and I've been through a lot of rubbish. I experienced insomnia depression anxiety and pesudo ME on abilify. I was on it for 3 months and I spent my time feeling lobotomised and wanting to give up on life. It took me 3 months to fully get back to my old self. Going between depressed and manic. I found a medication that works for me with out professional help afterwards."

OWER (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2017

"When I first starting taking abilify, I was about 14 and a half and 130 pounds, and it worked great. My mood was great, side effects were minimal. However, over the course of about a year I have gained almost 60 pounds, and that was while playing two varsity sports and a club sport that whole time, so I was active majority of that time. When I came off it recently, I lost about 10 pounds over two weeks, but I was much worse than I was before I went on it, (which I find weird), so I was put back on. It is impossible to get the weight to go away."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2017

"I got extreme manic symptom after I used Abilify for one month. I feel very anxious and scared about everything. I have an illusion energy which leads me push up double times more than no medication usage, but I feel very weak and extreme anxiety in the next few days. It increases my distance between up and down emotion very far away, but the distance between up and down emotion should be neutral. After I withdraw all of them carefully with herbal sleeping pills for alternative, my distant emotion becomes shorter which changes to be neutral condition. When my emotion and mood become neutral, my excessive emotional reaction no longer appear anymore."

Anouniemous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

"I was given this medicine by a regular medical doctor in tandem with Prozac and Ambien. What a horrible combo!!!! After being on Abilify for several weeks every nerve ending in my body felt like they were on fire. I was hyper and couldn't stay seated. I found out that this medicine was burning my brain and causing Akathisia. I called my doctor and told him what was going on and he wanted to double the milligram. I said....ohhhhhhhh no your not!!!!! Because of this medicine combo things got so bad I tried suicide back in February of 2015. I took 13 sleeping pills. The hospital doctor in the psych ward said the combination I was on was wrong and he was surprised I wasn't in the hospital earlier !!!"

TJLEONG (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

"I give Abilify the highest rating. I'm a 42 year old female with PTSD, Bipolar Depression, ADHD. I have tried every anti-depressant out there, from Amoxapine to Zyprexa, in which I experienced some extremely negative side effects from. So, needless to say, I am rather reluctant when having to start taking a medication that I've never tried before. (I've been taking 60mg of Prozac (fluoxetine) daily for the past several years). As of late, I've been experiencing increased symptoms in my bipolar depression. My doctor prescribed Abilify 5mg about 2 months ago. I have noticed such a positive change in myself. After only about 5-7 days of taking Abilify did I start to notice a change in my mood, attitude, outlook on life. It's been great!"

asklady75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

"It's just silence in my head, its hard to think. I don't have schizophrenia. I just can't really think clearly. All night I stayed up dizzy and nauseous but I'm gonna continue the medicine in hopes that it loosens up and keeps me mellow headed. After the initial nausea I felt pretty chill. (If it gets better I will keep you guys updated.)"

Michael Shmakyl August 4, 2017

"I had a bad time with this drug. It worked on my mood, but whenever I stood up, I got dizzy. I fell down the stairs once. Plus even with insurance, it's really expensive."

bipolarbunny (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

"I like this medication, but it causes my prolactin levels to go up. Which in turn cause my breast to leak milky fluid. Dr said he thinks it is from Invega injection. I just cannot take this side effect"

Patient2 July 11, 2017

"I have been on this for three days. The first day was horrific and I was definitively going to quit. I felt more trapped and traumatized by the 'problem things' I am dealing with than ever. The weird thing is I liked my psychiatrist but I felt the drug was killing me. I was horrified by some of the things I am dealing with but now three days later I feel it is starting to balance things out and put me in a humored mood from my 'problems' rather than a traumatized one. I swore off of all psychiatric pills for the past fourteen years, but decided to give it another shot. In the big picture, I think it is the right decision, but it is making me worrisomely hungry."

charge It Up (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

"I didn't notice a big difference on Ablify. I feel more level headed but also I feel more indecisive, dizzy and restlessness. I was on 10 mg for 3 months and the restlessness was so bad I couldn't sit still."

Anonymous June 26, 2017

"I've been prescribed ability and loxapac for a manic episode on May 19th for slightly more than three weeks. It worked well but early June I started to feel unable to sit still at some places. Around June 10th I had terrible anxiety and panic attacks, it was pure torture, so back to the institution. Had to wait two days until a doctor showed up , gave me something that stopped it all and removed the two drugs. It might be loxapac. Fact is, since then, there is another torture. Akathisia in the form of wanting to walk all the time. It's been one week now and thanks god it stops at night. I want to live (I'm not even 20) I pray it stops fast l've suffered enough. I really hate Abilify or Loxapac"

Anonymous June 19, 2017