User Reviews for Abilify to treat Bipolar Disorder

Abilify has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 276 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 42% of those users who reviewed Abilify reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Abilify Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

18% 50
5% 14
26% 71

Reviews for Abilify

Petite woman February 23, 2021

“I'm 40 year old, never took drugs before. I went on 5mg abilify and 2mg Zoloft after my life turned into a nightmare (mom died, jail, divorce, lost custody of kid, no job, etc) Deep depression and anxiety, Doc gave ability with 2mg Zoloft. Gained 60lb in first 6 months. 5’3” from 160 to 220 lbs. with CBT therapist to support me, I eventually found a job: I took abilify 5mg for the 2 years and sometimes 10 mg to deal with job stress. Abilify stabilized my mood and helped me focus on job and not dwell on pain and hurt of the nightmare years personal life — it kept my thoughts from spinning me into a deep depression. Was able to socialize. Was 60 lbs overweight with BMI of 34. After one year and wearing off, doc switch me to vraylar. Vraylar made me more of an emotionally stable rock, not too high or low, headache, no snack craving and eating much less. After few months, got my doc approval to quit all meds... I lost 30 lbs easily, but had to spend 6 months in gym class to lose rest of 30 lbs.”

Kaiserpaitent · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2021

“On the first day of abilify I experienced stabilization. My mood was stable after two weeks on Abilify and I have not experienced any side effects. I do not experience weight gain on Abilify which is a blessing. I notice that my mood is friendlier and more positive. I started eating more fruits and vegetables and I maintain a healthy diet on Abilify. I only have positive things to say about Abilify. Please give this medication a try it’ll change your life for the better.”

ellie · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

“First I’m going to say that I’ve never took medication in my life. I am currently 20 years old. I took a Abilify tablet for bipolar disorder. I was told to take it at night so I did. I woke up in the morning and my chest was in so much pain. My boyfriends mother checked my heartbeat with a stethoscope and my heart was fluttering after every 10 beats or so. I went to the ER, they said nothing was wrong. lol? days later it started to feel like my heartbeat would pause then start back up. The pain is currently on the left side of my chest above my breast and shoulder blade. I really don’t know what to do..? I’m too afraid to go to the doctors.”

Lucy · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2021

“I have always been against taking medication, although I have epilepsy and have to. I was very weary of starting this one, or any other mood stabilizer. Now that I have been taking it for two weeks, I'm so glad I did. It was like walking out of a dark room and back into the light of day. I use to just go about my daily activities with dread. Now I am excited to be a part of society again. I have gotten back in contact with old friends don't experience hardly any social anxiety and have so much energy. Thank you abilify”

Yamz · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 2, 2021

“Is this trash or is this trash? This made me so sleepy and tired! It made me hungry all the time! A useless medication for me! I got off of it! I am much better off without it. Other than it making me sleepy and hungry I had no other side effects. It did nothing for my bipolar disorder!”

Georgy Boy · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2021

“Taking Abilify as a replacement of Olanzapine, not a miracle drug, but helps mitigating paranoia and hypomania”

Lou January 28, 2021

“Been diagnosed 18 years ago with Bipolar ...OCD. panic an anxiety disorder. I've been on antidepressants since then then a few months ago it got worse 15 panicked attacks every single night an I walked floors all night long. Every night still sleep sitting up all night. I dose off an on, all night. I've suffered all my life feeling different since I was old enough to remember say 5 yrs old and I'm 49 now. I would like share my experience to help someone else, since I've always been paranoid and avoid people. I always felt shy an awkward and I guess since my new blue pill Abilify I feel so much better. After taking my first pill my racing thoughts disappeared and my moods got better and I finally feel normal. Everything seems so enjoyable now it saved my mental well being ...”

LadyBug · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2021

“Took one dose & felt more agitated. It also has given me bad diarrhea. Feels like I’m prepping for a colonoscopy. My brain felt foggy, I was dizzy and sluggish during the day. NO THANK YOU!”

Babygirl7399 January 5, 2021

“Absolutely amazing has changed my life I absolutely love this medication. It helped with my anxiety, depression, has helped with all around social anxiety, very highly recommended. I got to put down three other medications just to take this one pill a day awesome.”

soofqueen420 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2020

“I took abilify for about two months after zyprexa was making me incredibly sleepy and hungry all the time. After a few weeks I became unbearably anxious and restless in a way I'd never experienced before and have never experienced since. Switched to geodon because I couldn't tolerate the extreme anxiety anymore and Geodon dose the trick. Didn't become manic so I guess it worked tho.”

Liz December 29, 2020

“I took trileptal by itself for a long time. That helped at first but I never quite felt normal. I then hit a stressful point in my life and began having A LOT of mania and depression. I started neglecting my meds, feeling hopeless. My Dr. then suggested I take abilify 5 mg in addition to the trileptal. After seeing reviews about weight gain, increased mania, etc. I was wary about trying it but I decided to. I have not gained any weight from the med (I am 5’4 115lbs young female). The first few days I was switching rapidly between manic and depressed and had a lot of insomnia. However after about 3-4 days I noticed for the first time in 5 years I feel like myself again. I haven’t been this levelled and happy in so long. I rarely have depressive or manic episodes which is something I thought was impossible. Definitely give this a try and don’t be discouraged by the first few days. It’s so worth it.”

BeeRealz · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2020

“I used to take Abilify for management of bipolar disorder, this medication was personally horrible in my treatment. It made my mood swings worse and I became very aggressive. I began to isolate myself . Thank goodness I am off of this medication. My husband had a similar reaction to it almost instantly.”

BP2Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 12, 2020

“This was one of the worst medications I’ve ever tried. I have bipolar 2 with rapid cycling and this medication literally made me out of it. I could barely gather thoughts. I felt dumb as a rock and couldn’t focus. I also felt so agitated that it took all my energy to survive the day. It made me hungry but did nothing for depression or hypomania. My eyeballs felt like they were rolling around and I could have just stared at a white wall. Stopping it was like a dream. I took it for a few months. Worst med ever. Totally net negative. Beware if you have my combo of bipolar.”

Rose · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2020

“I suffer some depression, some OCD traits and may be mildly Bipolar. I take Zoloft which hugely helped my mood swings. Lately my mind has been at great unrest......consumed by worry....unable to focus. Fatigue set in and I was tired all the time....even after a good nights sleep. My Dr put me on Abilify 2mg once daily. I thought to myself.....How will such a tiny little pill help? Well I am so IMPRESSED!!!!! The brain fog and worry is gone. I wake up early every morning with energy that lasts all day long! I would totally recommend Abilify!”

lohop · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 5, 2020

“I’ve been on Abilify for 5 years and it has saved my life. Only downside is I’ve gained a bunch of weight but eating healthy and exercise helps.”

Andrea · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2020

“I've been struggling with bipolar II my whole life and have been hospitalized twice. This last time they put me on abilify in addition to my lamictal and lexapro along with trazadone for sleep. First, the side effects. They were pretty bad in the beginning super restless, high anxiety, couldn't concentrate on anything unless it involved my hands. I did a lot of adult coloring and rearranged my house a few times. I was treated with ativan for about 2 weeks, a double dose of trazadone at night, and self treated with THC. The side effects are starting to wear off and it's like I can see the world in color! My husband says I'm acting like when we first met and the sparkle is back in my eyes. If you have side effects, work with your doctor. I am so glad I did and stayed on this med. It's been a month and totally life changing.”

/ · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2020

“helped me with the bipolar disorder”

Jay P · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

“I just started this Abilify at a 5mg dose and am going up to 10 mg today. Side effects were - nausea briefly - restlessness that might keep waking you up at night. Both of these went away. I was told by my psych that I might feel shaky but that should pass. Positives so far are less rumination and constant thinking. Less daydreaming. It doesn’t affect my actual ability to think. I haven’t gone manic on this yet. My temperament seems to be even and my energy level is good. I'll check back in in a month with the 10mg review. Thanks all.”

ailik · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

“I took this medication for about two months I'd say. The highest I ever went to was 5mg. While it did work on the depression, it made the mania a lot worse to the point where I went psychotic and ended up in the hospital. The biggest issue I had was that the doctor was very intent on keeping me on this drug despite the fact it was not working.”

Cookie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2020

“Abilify and zoloft work well for my bipolar depression. My mood was never been so controlled, I feel like a new and normal person. It kills my sex drive so I also take a supplement for women which helps a lot.”

Fernando Wong · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

“Abilify helped with my manic episodes, but gained 15 pounds after a month and spiralled into a horrible depression that saw me in bed for weeks after I tried to come off the drug. Felt near completely disabled. Not for me.”

Hellokittie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 6, 2020

“This medication has ruined my self esteem and essentially my life. I have gained 50 lbs from this medication. That wasn’t a typo 50 freaking lbs!!! I’ve recently stopped taking it but no weight has come off yet. I’m beside myself. I don’t know what to do. I hate the way I look now.”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 2, 2020

“Be careful, Abilify caused a massive compulsive gambling addiction where I lost tens of thousands over time. I mentioned it to the doctor early on but she ignored it, didn't note it or change the meds. Guess I was hooked on the buzz. Stopped taking Abilify. Stopped gambling recklessly. Compulsive gambling addiction is a mental health disorder itself. Who'd have thought that the NHS would prescribe this dangerous drug that can cause it? Sounds ridiculous but true. There was a guy with Parkinsons prescribed it in England, went full on the National Lottery online games and scratch cards etc ... but won his case for not being advised properly of the potential side effects and got most of the losses back. They don't care for my complaint. A class action lawsuit is underway in the United States because it wasn't on the label. Suing a big Japanese pharmaceutical company seems okay. Lost all interest in work and drifted for 18 months.”

Parliament625 · Taken for 10 years or more January 25, 2020

“I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1 and in my 20s suffered through 3 major manic psychotic episodes which led to at least month long hospitalizations each time. After the first episode, I was put on zyprexa in which I felt zombified and depressed on which led me to go off of it entirely. Less than a year later I was hospitalized again and at that point I was introduced to Abilify. Three years passed during which I was stable. I then went off of it which led to my third and final hospitalization. Ever since then I took the 20mg tablets religiously and would soon combine it with Lamictal. This combo has worked wonders for me. Years ago a doctor told me that I’m on the Rolls Royce of bipolar medication and I firmly agree. About a year ago I started taking the 400mg injection which helped me lose at least 30 pounds. I find the injection the most effective method of taking Abilify. It has been a life saver for me!”

Nick · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

“Have been on Abilify (Generic) for about a month now. My lows are higher and my highs are nonexistent. I’m mostly flat emotionally, lacking interest in everything, including people. Good for my irritability and delusions, but the side effects are tough.”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder