User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was first put on abilify in 2004. It is very effective, and has been the most useful medication for me. I have developed gallstones, have a fatty liver and have high triglycerides. It is definitely not because of my diet. I was a vegan for 23 years and I am very strict with what I eat. I now have to get my gallbladder removed and I think it has to do with taking psychiatric drugs over the years. It is well noted now that abilify causes gallstones, a fatty liver and high triglycerides. I have been in constant pain for three months and just now, after 12 years of taking abilify, may discontinue the use and start something new. Overall, for the mood disorder this was highly effective and useful in treating my bipolar depression."

PostmodernistCupie August 19, 2016

"Just 5 mg made me blow up like a balloon. It increased my anxiety and I experienced blurry vision. It may work for some, but not for me."

DisorderJoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

"Not the drug for me. It made me very jittery. Restless legs +++."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

"I take abilify 15mg for voices and a mood stabilizer. I take it in the form of an injection and I've been on it for 7 months. It has dulled the voices drastically and stopped my severe mania. I am now able to think logically and the constant brain fog that I was suffering from has been lifted.I gave it 9 out of 10 because I still suffer from depression related to my ptsd. I currently am taking 20mg of Fluoxetine for my severe anxiety and depression.The only side effects I had from abilify was seeing faint flashes in the dark and slight tongue tremors. Other than that ablilify has worked wonders for me . I no longer experience mania and I am so grateful because I was extremely wild when I was manic."

TheLoneGirl August 14, 2016

"This med sucks, anxiety level went up. Couldn't sleep couldn't concentrate. Can't spend quality time with my son. Yet to find the miracle drug."

Jburn101 August 6, 2016

"10 months on 5mg abilify + wellbutrin and lithium. Gained 15-18 pounds. Found out this week that Abilify causes weight gain and it's the culprit - not an injury I'd been blaming it on. And I'd blamed myself and started "disordered eating" out of desperation. It gets rid of my mood swings and crying for no reason. I feel generally good except foggy while at work where I do not enjoy being. Unmotivated at work. Moderately motivated in personal life - better than in years. Absolutely quitting this drug. Now for the withdrawal I wasn't aware of when I decided to take it... I think this is a dangerous drug for anyone who is prone to weight gain or diabetes. Can't believe my pdoc didn't say anything when I complained about weight gain last time."

Slynnns (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2016

"I started taking Ability 15mg on June 17th and now its June 25th so I've been on it for 8 days. On the 17th I was admitted into a mental hospital because of my bipolar and extreme anxiety. I'm taking it at night along with: Divalproex(Depakote)750mg, Hydroxyzine(Vistaril)50mg, Trazodone(Desyrel)50mg, and Clonazepam(Klonopin)1mg It seems to be helping me along with the other medications. So far I dont think I've had any side effects, knock on wood. I definitely recommend this medication if you have bipolar but make sure you take it also with a mood stabalizer. If you take it alone it can cause severe side effects."

StayStrongJustBreath92 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

"Started taking abilify and I noticed my mood became nothingness. I didn't feel happy nor sad. I just felt nothing. Has anyone experienced the same things? Prior to the feelings of nothingness, the night before (after a took it), I started becoming manic then about an hour later, I started becoming suicidal. Took Benadryl and became calm and sleepy. My manic and depression episodes were usually on a day-to-day basis whereas when I took abilify, it shifted within an hour or so. Also, the side effects were so bad I couldn't get out of bed. Felt very dizzy with headache, wanted to puke, heart rate was faster than usual, loss of appetite, and weak (very weak)."

Birdadoo (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

"It's only been two weeks but Abilify 2mg, added to Wellbutrin 150mg, has been amazing. I was misdiagnosed for many years and it's sad to realize how much time was lost to my illness that wasn't being properly controlled. I'd only taken ADs until now. I experienced dramatic improvement within DAYS and continued relief from symptoms which often left me homebound and sobbing with no interest or ability to work or socialize, even perform minor chores and the anxiety became crippling. Side effects include some vision issues and a spell of overwhelming fatigue a few hours after taking the med. Once that dissipates, I feel a lot of energy and am able to function very well. Fingers crossed for continued success. Much luck to all. There is hope."

meloosh (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

"I couldn't really tell whether it worked or not for Bipolar 1 Disorder. I was on a few different medications at once: Lamictal, Lorazepam (as needed), and for a brief time, Seroquel with the Abilify. The dose was 5 mg since I was experiencing a mixed episode with some paranoid thoughts. I didn't notice it being particularly helpful for depression. Maybe there was some slight mood stabilization, but not enough for me to really feel relief. I was taken off of it for this reason. Also, even at 5 mg, it caused me some restlessness and a sensation similar to a headache. It's expensive too."

xRavenx June 4, 2016

"I have taken Abilify for around 5-6 years. I initially was prescribed it at the age of 15 which is way too early in my opinion. However its had relatively few side effects, and has by and large helped me from my tendency to veare towards psychosis or extreme mood swings. Don't try and get off this drug on your own, it can have horrible consequences. I'm not totally sure what was the Abilify withdrawal and what was my illness, but I had some very extreme mania, that may have been a side effect of withdrawal. Overall Abilify is a very serious drug, don't take it lightly, and I wouldn't recommend it for depression. But it has helped me tremendously, and I don't have much else to say that is negative about it."

phoebe94 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 2, 2016

"Taken abilify for 10 days for bipolar and bpd. I am sleeping well and the suicidal thoughts have vanished. However, I feel very low and incapable of fulfilling my responsibilities, ie medical appt, seeing my son. My partner prised me outside for a walk and I just sat on the ground for an hour incapable of moving. It's not like me to not want to go out. Feel utterly useless. Due to see my psychiatrist in another 10 days. The only advice I've had is to 'be strong'. However am simultaneously coming off quetiapine due to weight gain. I have not rated this medicine numerically as I am so confused. But personally I feel horrible. Better luck to anyone trying this medicine!"

Anon611 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

"I have only taken Abilify for about 2 weeks but it has been the best experience yet with meds. Very mild side effects that only lasted for 2 days. I wake up early with tons of energy and motivation. The thought of leaving the house during the day doesn't make me want to crawl in a hole. I have not had ONE depressing thought or episode and for someone with Bi Polar, that is AMAZING."

Anonymous May 28, 2016

"Took Abilify along with Lithium. Abilify is very helpful for mania mood swings. I also noticed that when "voices" or loud thoughts in my mind were disruptive, Abilify was able to remove those. As most drugs, there were some side effects I did not like. Abilify did cause me to feel a bit dazed or doped, which also caused sleepiness during the day. It did not help me with depression, and seemed to contribute to it because of the sleepiness and dazed feeling. However, this drug was effective with the mania, and handy to have is the loud thoughts or "voices" are a problem."

Manuel231 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2016

"I'm 29 and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at 22 years old. I had bipolar 1 but with abilify and lamictal, I now have bipolar 2. I forget a lot of things, have become lazy, have gained 25 pounds in a year, have low motivation, tired all the time and have been feeling depressed. I plan on not taking abilify anymore because I feel as if I've lost myself ... I don't feel unique."

Xstarsnstripesx (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2016

"I take Abilify 2mg along with Wellbutrin 300mg as well and feel so much better. No side affects at all. I was on Risperidone which was AWFUL! I think this medication must work differently when taken with Wellbutrin because I noticed a big difference for the better!"

Christine001 May 4, 2016

"Abilify is the only antipsychotic that works for me. The extreme hunger, lethargy, restlessness, and memory problems I had on other antipsychotics are nonexistent with abilify. I was in the middle of a severe depressive episode when I took it and it only took several weeks for me to be back to normal functioning. I sleep better, have more energy, and fewer mood swings. This medication is great. I find that it is more "activating" while other drugs in the same class like Zyprexa are more "tranquilizing.""

NHelm (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

"It worked so well for me, except for the weight gain. It worked perfectly for my mood accept that within the first 2 months I was on it I gained about 20 pounds. I kept on it because it worked so well and we played around with some other Meds that might have balanced it out but it was just not worth it, I ended up gaining about 30-40 pounds from the whole thing and I am a rather small person. I am now on Lamotrigine and it works perfectly. In all it worked out pretty well, just had some unpleasant side affects for me."

Sasha1234 March 26, 2016

"This medication though helped...it was not worth the weight gain..it really wasn't. I took it a while back and it was not worth it. I also found that it made me feel a little suicidal."

Not Worth The Energy. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

"This medicine has done so much for me. I've had horrible "mood swings" for years and they just kept getting worse. I would also cry myself to sleep every night for years and years. I always felt irritated and annoyed with everything. I would yell and scream, get hyper and crash into a pile on the floor, be suicidal one minute and happy the next. I was all over the place. This medicine has done so much for me."

Kome (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2016

"This medicine made me so sick. Every single night I took it (which was only 5 nights cause I was that sick) I was up tossing and turning, sweating meanwhile it was 5 degrees out, severe dry mouth - to the point I could barely talk, throwing up & severe head aches."

Rencapo February 16, 2016

"This drug is horrendous. I spent a week in a psychiatric ward the year I was twenty, and they titrated it up to ten milligrams by the time I was let out. I was a complete zombie, exhausted all the time - could fall asleep anywhere, any time of the day - so anxious that I had to keep moving my body to function. Kept crossing and uncrossing my legs, wringing my hands, etc. I was so numbed out I simply didn't enjoy life. I don't know how I managed to not kill myself. This thing will wreck you."

MakaMovingOn February 5, 2016

"Whilst taking Abilify,I had terrible insomnia. I never slept for more than 2 hours at a time. I reached te stage where I slept wherever I felt sleepy. I never slept in bed for the 6 months I took this horrible drug. I gained a lot of weight, probably due to the lack of sleep. Should have stopped sooner."

lngrhm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

"I am a 48 year-old woman who has had bipolar I disorder since I was 12. It hit me severely and I have had a very difficult time with it. During one of the latest bouts I tried Abilify at 2 mg and definitely felt a bump up in my mood. I was so so excited and totally would've stayed on it except my appetite increased to such a degree that I immediately started gaining weight. Food was like crack - it became utterly and completely addictive. I could not stop eating! I would try and control it for a few days but I was utterly and totally unable to stop. An improvement in mood was worth 10 pounds but at 13 pounds in 8 weeks and no stopping I had to stop. Super disappointed. It is the only medication where I felt immediate relief."

Elizabeth29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2016

"Took this for depression and bipolar, made my mood plummet to the point feeling absolutely nothing inside. Can't move, watch tv no enjoyment from anything. Horrendous medication."

Oliver Reilly (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2015