User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I give Abilify the highest rating. I'm a 42 year old female with PTSD, Bipolar Depression, ADHD. I have tried every anti-depressant out there, from Amoxapine to Zyprexa, in which I experienced some extremely negative side effects from. So, needless to say, I am rather reluctant when having to start taking a medication that I've never tried before. (I've been taking 60mg of Prozac (fluoxetine) daily for the past several years). As of late, I've been experiencing increased symptoms in my bipolar depression. My doctor prescribed Abilify 5mg about 2 months ago. I have noticed such a positive change in myself. After only about 5-7 days of taking Abilify did I start to notice a change in my mood, attitude, outlook on life. It's been great!"

asklady75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's just silence in my head, its hard to think. I don't have schizophrenia. I just can't really think clearly. All night I stayed up dizzy and nauseous but I'm gonna continue the medicine in hopes that it loosens up and keeps me mellow headed. After the initial nausea I felt pretty chill. (If it gets better I will keep you guys updated.)"

Michael Shmakyl August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a bad time with this drug. It worked on my mood, but whenever I stood up, I got dizzy. I fell down the stairs once. Plus even with insurance, it's really expensive."

bipolarbunny (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I like this medication, but it causes my prolactin levels to go up. Which in turn cause my breast to leak milky fluid. Dr said he thinks it is from Invega injection. I just cannot take this side effect"

Patient2 July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this for three days. The first day was horrific and I was definitively going to quit. I felt more trapped and traumatized by the 'problem things' I am dealing with than ever. The weird thing is I liked my psychiatrist but I felt the drug was killing me. I was horrified by some of the things I am dealing with but now three days later I feel it is starting to balance things out and put me in a humored mood from my 'problems' rather than a traumatized one. I swore off of all psychiatric pills for the past fourteen years, but decided to give it another shot. In the big picture, I think it is the right decision, but it is making me worrisomely hungry."

charge It Up (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I didn't notice a big difference on Ablify. I feel more level headed but also I feel more indecisive, dizzy and restlessness. I was on 10 mg for 3 months and the restlessness was so bad I couldn't sit still."

Anonymous June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been prescribed ability and loxapac for a manic episode on May 19th for slightly more than three weeks. It worked well but early June I started to feel unable to sit still at some places. Around June 10th I had terrible anxiety and panic attacks, it was pure torture, so back to the institution. Had to wait two days until a doctor showed up , gave me something that stopped it all and removed the two drugs. It might be loxapac. Fact is, since then, there is another torture. Akathisia in the form of wanting to walk all the time. It's been one week now and thanks god it stops at night. I want to live (I'm not even 20) I pray it stops fast l've suffered enough. I really hate Abilify or Loxapac"

Anonymous June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking Abilify in August of 2016. The day after I wanted to drink. I'm a recovering alcoholic, called my physciatrist and she switched seroquel to Thorazine. And I got over the next couple of days. I just received an inheritance somehow I ended up with 191 Groupons, online shopping I couldn't have controlled so much in an amnesia state. Wouldn't have known this was happening. Went to Dr and hospitals 8 or 9 times with different things of Abilify! I had an suicide attempt in March. I stayed awake for 4 days afterwards. I've wrecked my car 4 times. I have TD and Akatasia now. I've never had a drug complicate me as much! I was also severely anorexic."

Abilify ruined my life June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have bipolar II, cycle up in spring and major depressive in the fall. I have tried lamictal, great drug but got the rash, geodon, ok but felt like I was drunk, latuda, got the jaw pain whitch was awful. Ability seems to help with the overwhelming agitation I get in the spring time. I hope it is as good in the fall for my depression phase."

Cptnken May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on abilify for almost a month the only side effect I have is waking up in the middle of the night a few times I have actually lost 12 pounds I am eating good and drinking plenty of water so I'm sure that helps I'm also on Zoloft and topamax all in all it's a much better drug than my previous geodon I would recommend it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking anti-psychotic medications for 9 years and trying just about every single one of them, I have finally found one that is working for me, at this point in my life. I started this medication (Abilify) nearly 4 months ago and the positive changes I’ve seen in my life make me so happy. I have lost almost 30 pounds within these last several months, I have been more active with my children, and I actually get off the couch and walk and enjoy life. I’ve been involved with my “FitBit” challenges which I would’ve never attempted to even think about doing before. My manic episodes are very rare and less erratic. Before when I would be on a anti-psychotic medication I would feel like I was in a “zombie mode” barely functioning day by day. The only downfall I have with this medication (Abilify), which is a side effect, is if I get up to quickly I get dizzy and just collapse. Now I’m at a plateau with my weight, but I’m not gaining weight either. I give this Anti-Psychotic Medication a 9 out of 10."

Charlotte9459 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Excellent. Depression lifted fast. Stabilizes my mood very well, as a bonus I spontaneously los 55 lbs! All that weight came from Seroquel and Zyprexa. Con, has a negative effect on sleep, I need melatonin to be able to sleep. Also my blood pressure is suddenly a lot lower, 102/63 causing some light headedness during the day. It's however the first med that is able to stabilize my mood very well with very acceptable side effects."

Blueszz (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm not an easy patient, unsatisfied with the weight gain from the typical atypicals, lacking an 'oomph' from lithium, allergic to lamotrgine and anti-depressants give me a one way ticket to the manic rollercoaster. I started Abilify and within 3 days I was hypermanic and nauseous to boot. No sleep, spending $400 on some bed sheets seemed like a marvellous idea, thrill seeking etc and throwing up every 3 hours. However my psychiatrist guided me through it with sleep meds and something to settle the stomach and I'm so glad I pushed through. Yeah, the restlessness is an issue but I'd like to consider myself an 'experience and going out' person now. Anything better than the listlessness of depression or meds that are supposed to cure it."

Noekster (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have rapid-cycling bipolar and have been on Abilify for a little over 7-8 months. At first, I was on the Abilify by its self and I experienced worsened anxiety and depression. I was thinking about switching drugs after a few weeks of these negative feelings not going away, so my Pdoc added Zoloft to my mix. This combination was a life saver for me. I would definitely recommend using Abilify as an add-on. My mania is manifested as rage, impulsiveness, and rapid negative thoughts in my head and Abilify stopped that for me. The only negative side effect I have now is weight gain. I've only gained 8 pounds, but I have to ignore my food cravings."

veee March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this med for 2 weeks. Within 3 days I was in full thrown into full a total manic state. I was awake every night by 3am because I couldn't sleep. I spent quite a significant amount of money in a short amount of time! I also put 4 pounds on in this time. The only positive thing I can say is that it gave me energy. The reason my pdoc tried me on it was depression and lack of energy. I also have bipolar and have been on Lithium for 3 years and have been steady until I took Abilify. Needless to say I have stopped taking this med."

Lpapa March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on abilify for 6 weeks now and am still experiencing anxiety, agitation, constipation. I also feel sedated although I feel like I can't sit still."

Angel 23 March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Abilify because my bipolar disorder drug cocktail became less effective. Abilify was new on the market. It lifted my mood considerably, I felt great. And without any bad side effects. I thought. After about 6 weeks I developed hand tremor. It got worse. My psychopharmacologist sent me to a neurologist who began treating me for a kind of tremor that's inherited. He did not believe it was due to Abilify- which now has a side effect listed as "muscle movements that could become permanent." Naturally I stopped taking Abilify. So either the neurologist is right, and Abilify activated the tremor or I developed the permanent muscle movement side effect. Either way, I now have to take an anti-tremor drug."

Merry Xmas (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Total Mania, could not sleep, monitored sleep showed never in REM sleep at all over an 8 hour period. Anxious, increased Resp Rate, wide awake, no hunger, racking thoughts. Unable to finally function at job related to no sleep. This drug is horrid!"

Manic now January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diabetes, thoughts of self-destruction , compulsive behavior,no energy, etc"

Edward Hanley December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on abilify for 4 months and had to go off. It's a great medicine for bipolar. I could tell when I missed a dose because I would flip out. The down fall on why I went off was the weight gain. I gained 30 pounds in 3 months with just snacking. Dr told me it slows the metabolism down. I think it stopped it. So give it a try."

Feefee40215 November 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"this was a terrible drug for me. I can't tell you any physical side affect because I stopped taking it immediately after a week. This drug made me scared to go to work. Every time I get ready for work this incredible fear about going to work would possess me. I would call my job and tell them am sick when I was actually afraid. I would have my aunt call my job for me to call out because I was afraid. I would try to bring courage to go to work but the closer I was to work the worse the fear would be. I called out 4 times in a row. I almost got fired. when I stopped taking it, it all went away."

eliasadc (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i have very mixed feelings about this medication. i was given this for mood stability about a year before i was diagnosed bipolar. it worked really fast. my mood was very stable. but at what cost? It started out with slurred speech and constant drowsiness. eventually that faded away and then it turned into perhaps the worst thing I've ever had to deal with called internalised restlessness. It is also called akathsia. If I die and go to hell, it would be to the land of akathsia. I recommend this drug if you're lucky enough to not experience akathsia. it works really fast. they tried to prescribe me congentin to help, it barely did."

dogy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is one of the nastiest drugs i taken for bp. It gave me major depression,major anxiety,restlessness, and major mood swings. I wouldnt recommend this drug to my worse enemy."

Bmz (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'd love to say this med was good for me. I can't. I've never had such an awful response to a medication. After 1 week of being on it I began to experience odd sensations. My arms felt disconnected, I couldn't get comfortable. At the 2 week mark I had to leave work two days in a row, customers were terrifying me, my pulse was 180! By this time my anxiety slowly shot up so high I was paralyzed. I couldn't walk across the room. I literally was stuck in a chair. Everything was extremely terrifying. Just sitting I was afraid to move. Once I saw my dr, found out I had suffered a severe panic attack that sent me into an anxiety attack for TWO weeks! I was ill for six months. Read the pamphlet with the drug , it lists SEVERE ANXIETY!"

BATEBALDI1 October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I absolutely hated this drug. My thoughts cycled so fast and I became 100 times more paranoid than I already am. I wouldn't leave the house and even preferred my closet. It multiplied my OCD as well."

Blue Violet October 11, 2016