User Reviews for Abilify

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Schizophrenia

"Stop using it! I've been on it for 2 years and feel like I'm dying. I've had hives diarrhea, racing heartbeat, dilated pupils, etc hair loss, insomnia, weight loss and scared I'm for my life. It has worked well up until last two weeks. I'm aboriginal and so no cost to me."

Gap_22nd November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking a lot of pills, some of which weren't working for me. Of course what works for the guy next to me might not work for me and vice-versa because our genetic make up is different. I have been taking this drug for about 3ish years and well I didn't noticed a difference until about 2 months ago when I raised the dosage by 5mg a day. I was on other antipsychotics as well as antidepressants and stuff for bipolar disorder. I'm on 400mg injection of abilify monthly as well as 5mg pill form a day still to this day. When I raised the dosage the voices stopped. They usually come back in some environments like at work, the gym or even when I get stressed but the voices and abnormal thoughts dimmed down dramatically I feel almost normal.."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started abilify in January of this year, 10 mg. I'm now taking 15 mg. This medication has given me back my life. No voices, no visual hallucinations. I still struggle with mild paranoia though. I can get through the day, and that's saying something!"

catchme (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi my son takes abilify for audible hallucinations and it has not worked. Worst drug ever hasn't cured his psychosis either"

Tired mum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Excellent medication! When I was first on Abilify I hated it. At first the doctors put me on 10mg which I hated because the dose was too high ( thinking about it now) . Then my doctor raised it to 20mg which was just making me even more emotionless. So I switched back to risperidone consta (injection), but I've always hated risperidone consta, so I thought my life was over. But then I noticed I had a full pack of abilify left over from before. So I decided to take just small dose of Abilify along side the risperidone consta, and guess what? The Abilify is great at such a small dose. It completely blocks the side effects of risperidone and I can live a greater life now. So I take Abilify and have risperidone injection every 2weeks."

Huystread 2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taken ablify for over 8 months, gradually put on 20 lbs or so. Better than Seroquel Xr for weight gain and hunger pangs."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At first i didnt like it but it helped. 60-90 days into the medication i was 100% me again. Thanks abilify"

GonePotso November 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had asked my doc to change my medicine from Loxapine to something else that would allow me to get back to my baseline weight. In 3 months, didn't see any movement towards my baseline weight. I have been exercising (weights + cardio) for 1.5-2 hrs a day 6 days a week during this time as well while maintaining a pretty disciplined high protein diet. My body fat % came down from 22% to 20% in a couple of months, but hasn't gone lower after that. It's disheartening to see all that hard work yielding not so great results, which further affects my motivation to exercise considering I'm not seeing any more results. So this med hasn't been weight neutral for me (compared to baseline wt.) although I didn't gain any more weight on it either."

The Mad King (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Abilify 20 mg. I am a patient diagnosed with disorganized schizophrenia, depression, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar. I have experienced a sensitivity to my emotions, as well as how I react to my feelings. I really don't feel out of the normal with any "sexual frustration"...and I wouldn't say this has increased/decreased. I feel less anxious on the medication, and seemingly more at ease with myself when I take this medication. It is a hard step to have people telling you that you actually do better on this pill, when half your life ago, you didn't have "mental illness", and suddenly you become someone else. My weight did fluxuate when on this drug. But I feel it was due to stress factors outside of a regular environment. I feel if you place yourself in good surroundings and support you do much better at being the person you are here to be. I am so much happier in life with a routine. I feel like I only referred to enlongated periods of sleep because of depression, and events surrounding certain time frames hence thoughts, and reactions. Abilify (aripiprazole) My instant reaction from this drug is concern for my well-being. I am nervous because I am one of the people taking this drug till the stars fade, every day to my last. My doctors all seem to say the same thing, and that is, "This medication is working for you". I do blood tests when I go into the Hospital freqently, and they are not finding anything off the charts and everything is always normal with my vitals. My thought is, how do they consider this medication works for me? Because I am not showing side effects? Because I am accepting? I feel I have to hold patience, my own value, what I care about around me to help better myself mentally and my virtue. I feel that I am just not the type of person to curbside answers to things we wonder deeply about, I guess. I don't know if there are any people who would agree then that I should ask if there are any women who have taken abilify during a pregnancy? Just wondering what the reaction is... Is my question? I am a 30 year old female diagnosed with Mental Illness starting in 2004. I started to take Abilify 20 mg. in 2004 to present. Overall, since this medication has not been threatening to me, I feel I should embrace it."

Kora1986 (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i was on the verge of disaster, my psychiatrist introduced aripiprazole 10 mg with least dosage. in the beginning i faced stomach problems which ended in a month time. the best result i received only after 4 months usage"

simsimland (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I cannot imagine why I stood so long time on it! I stood on Abilify at 3 years time and 2 months. My problem with abilify was that my bloodsugar level increased and I became extremely Hungry all the time. If you have bad bloodsugar you need to eat often. And on everyrhing. I even gained weight on the slightest. The only positive was that I was not psychotic on it and my dreams when I was sleeping was OK! But Abilify affected my personality, I was not ME on it.. I was like somebody else but I do not know who! Abilify serve only 2 of 10."

jerko (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I gained 60 pounds and had to go off of it because of that, it also made me tired and have panic attacks"

you can call me kitten July 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Weight gain!! increased my hunger and affect the metabolism! Need to eat often and was not myself on it!"

Henkeboj (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hated it. 55 pound weight gain in 6 months. Completely ineffective for psychotic symptoms (delusions). Severe anxiety (prescribed 3 xanex per day to cope) and depression. Not for me."

Nance34 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Within 1 week of taking 1 tablet , my auditory hallucinations had nearly disappeared and then increased the amount to 1 1/2 tablets and was and am amazed this product. Its giving me my life back again......"

Anonymous March 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son was started on abilify after 11 years on zyprexa. First he was zombie like and now a year later he is paranoid, delutional and a lot of cognitive deficits .Worst drug ever!!!!"

kittygiggles January 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is really helpful with voices but my paranoia and depression has got worse"

anomynouss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It does stuff I never thought meds would do. It has made corrections to my perceptions and how I look at things and my racing thoughts"

RYSMILE (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took abilify since I was 19 I'm now 33 it makes you feel restless I plan on getting off this medicine as soon as I talk to my doctor"

Lexilynn82 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 21, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication after being on resperidone which made me really tense but abilify really works for me still hear voices in a distant way and still will be increasing the dose"

shaysos September 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication made me feel like my brain was fried it was so hard to think and it made me feel hyper on the inside but made my body feel tired and lazy it was a horrible feeling and it made my schizophrenia worse!!"

destt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Abilify for only three days, half of the minimum dosage a day, which is 2,5 mg, still enough to cause me a collapse in which I almost died! I quit immediately but I still experienced heart problems for the following two months."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've never taken medication for my symptoms before. This medication makes me feel loopy sometimes and it seems like my eyes fly back for a second sometimes. It helps within a few minutes of feeling anxiety or really depressed. It has so far also made the voices sound more distant."

jaysee (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On the good side it only had one side effect for me, and that was a little bit of a increased heart beat I could feel and it made me feel like I was going to a concert or just won a prize, it felt not too bad knowing the other medicines out there for schizophrenia. "

dalo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with abilify has been great because I no longer have schizophrenia or psychosis. I have been on this medicatiom since 2008 and I have never had any side effects at all, which is brilliant! I also feel so much better since I was diagnosed, like I am a new person."

StarryNight8496 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2014