User Reviews for Abilify to treat Agitated State

Abilify has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 45 ratings for the treatment of Agitated State. 47% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Abilify Rating Summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Agitated State.

Reviews for Abilify

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2020

“Im going to keep it short & sweet. Before Abilify it was a lot of swearing and slammed doors, and irritation towards everyone. Abilify 5mg was prescribed about 2 months ago. Life now is more of a "what was I mad about"? Great mood stabilizer. This medication has lifted me in so many ways. Background: Bipolar, depression & anxiety...”

Hands1 August 6, 2020

“My 9 year old son started Abilify a week ago. Prior to, he was diagnosed with Intermittent Explosive Disorder and possibly ADHD. He has struggled with intense burst of extreme anger. He would yell, scream, throw things, hit himself, slam doors etc. He would be angry very quickly over small things. He was very impulsive, and had many troubles at school focusing. We tried 2 different ADHD meds with no luck. They actually made things worse. His behaviour changed the moment he started Abilify, at a low dose of 2mg a day. We expected weeks until seeing results. My child is a completely different person. He is calm, polite, and so pleasant. He has voiced his own opinion on feeling this med is working. He can feel the difference within himself. He displays no side effects. He still feels and shows emotions, just in a calm manner. We have struggled heartbreakingly for a long time in finding him help, with nothing that has actually worked. This has absolutely changed his life.”

Anonymous February 12, 2020

“Been on Abilify 2mg for one week. Started Abilify to help with PTSD and Lupus. Periods of high anxiety causes my Lupus to flare. No anxiety = no Lupus. Anxiety is gone which is wonderful, but it's been replaced with nausea. It's not bad enough to cause vomiting, just annoying. I have no appetite and have lost 4 pounds so far. Some trouble sleeping. I take melatonin to help with that. I hope the nausea goes away. If it does, Abilify could be the one for me.”

dwinch July 3, 2008

“My 25 year old son was prescribed this medication for his aggressive behavior and inablity to concentrate. As a child he was diagnosed with ADHD with aggressive behavior. His behavior only worsened as he got older and was not on any medication. He was unable to keep a job and was always in trouble with the police for fighting and just unable make good decisions. After starting Abilify he has had a steady job for 6 months and his agressive behavior is gone. I have my son back.”

Anonymous October 31, 2019

“My daughter is 9 and has been diagnosed with ADHD and ADD. She has mostly had issues with impulsiveness. She was in a constant state of anger and irritability. Previously she tried a stimulant medication which worked for awhile then became ineffective. She now takes Intuniv and Abilify. She has been on the Abilify for about 3 months and seems like a new child. She is happy, almost always in a good mood, and reacts appropriately instead of with anger. Hopefully the results will last. As of right now I am very excited about the results and the improvement of her mood and behavior.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2020

“Honestly I feel horrible, even after 24 hrs of taking Abilify, I am a MESS, I can’t keep anything down, I feel sick. I feel like I should just run around to get rid of this horrible feeling. My ears are ringing. I can’t get rid of this weird muffled head feeling it’s a nasty drug. I just cannot relax. I’m more panicky and agitated than usual”

Notmyrealname February 11, 2021

“I take 2.5mg of Abilify. Abilify is my miracle drug. I have struggled with anxiety my entire life, and have PTSD. I used to struggle with feeling rage, intrusive thoughts that I just couldn’t shake and general overwhelming anxiety. Tried and quit at least ten other meds before finding this one. I know it works because if I accidentally forget a dose one day my anxiety is back in full force for 2-3 days after. Once it’s back in my system I’m fine again. I haven’t had any noticeable side effects. I take trazodone and melatonin for sleep so I have no problems sleeping, and I have been intentionally losing weight by counting calories with no problem. I quit a different med that was making my hair thin before starting this, and my hair has all come back on Abilify. I have a prescription for a benzo for anxiety as needed, but I don’t need it anymore.”

Pandy86 · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2021

“I have been suffering major anxiety and fear since puberty. It got much worse after having a child. After trying SSRIs I felt like a zombie with no motivation. I used to drink alcohol a lot to suppress the anxiety too which lead to tons of problems in my life. Since taking Ambilify I feel like a normal person! I feel like the person I wanted to be. It has increased my appetite a lot and the first week I couldn’t sleep but now after a couple weeks I’m calm and sleeping well. I’m afraid of the weight gain associated with this drug but a few extra pounds is better than crippling anxiety and substance abuse.”

HelloBob · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2018

“From the time my son could walk he was getting into trouble, he always had problematic tendencies, and very defiant. Everything I mean EVERYTHING was a fight. Life was a struggle. He started attending day care at 3.5years and ultimately got kicked out. He was put on blood pressure medicine at the age of 4, (hardly did anything.) ADHD medication; methanphetamine at age 5 (only worsened his symptoms.) resperidone at 6yrs, which took the edge off but he became more irritable only after 3mth. And Abilify age 7 and thus far his behavior, aggression, attention span has improved and everyone in the house hold and school does nothing but compliment how well mannered he is!!! (I never thought this day would come) yes he has gained weight but the benefits outweigh the side effects. I’m so grateful for this medication!!!! Finding what works or doesn’t work has been a trial and error process, but in my mind ability is a miracle drug.”

ADHD July 28, 2019

“Ok my idiot shrink is being fired tomorrow. I've bee reading up on this abilify stuff and guess what I have ADHD depression anxiety. In menopause so what is he put me on Abilify this stuff makes me insanely psychotic and vicious. The least little thing goes wrong and I'm screaming I mean literally screaming at the top of my lungs and freaking out. I will not take the stuff I am not bipolar I have other issues thank you very much it's terrible drug never again”

Sean · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 5, 2021

“I have ADHD and GAD. Vybrid 40mg is helpful, but not the complete answer. Provider added 2mg of Abilify and within 2 weeks, ruminating thoughts, OCD tendencies and remaining anxiety were relieved. No weight gain, only side affect is odd dreams that wake me up around 4am daily.”

EMor · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

“I was put on this many years ago for a nervous breakdown and it started to help almost instantly. It was a good add on to my anti depressants at the time. I was literally only on it two weeks and doc decided I didn't need it anymore. It worked a lot better than any other things I've been on over the years. No side effects”

Maximus412 January 19, 2013

“My child was diagnosed at the age of 4 with severe ADHD. We tried all medications. Even added Risperdal. He was very angry and agitated all the time. After 1 week on Abilify (along with metadate) he is a whole new kid. Loving it!”

MsMaggieMia2 · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2016

“I started this just a week ago for severe anxiety brought on by some recent experiences I had. In the 13 years I've been seeing my psychiatrist I've never had such panic. He immediately asked me a couple of questions, knowing me very well, and then prescribed the lowest dose. I was hesitant but couldn't see any other option than I give this a try! WOW! For the first time in about a month I feel more "normal"! The anxiety is just about gone, I am functioning again and no side effects that I can detect and I am a lightweight with meds!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2020

“I was recently prescribed abilify (the generic) during COVID. I have PTSD BPD and depression so with everything going on it has made me insane. I had rage outbursts and would want to hit people, not to mention the stress and lockdown. Everytime I left the house there's signs and masks everywhere- anyways I needed a change. I tried Abilify I'm on 5mg now, I found it actually increased my appetite, I gained at least 10 lbs which I'm not fond of, but I've been eating again. I find it has worked great as far as a mood stabilizer I've only had 1 panic attack since being on it. The first few weeks I was really agitated and paranoid though. If I don't take it at the exact time everyday I feel sick. Overall it does help with my mood and rage so I'll stay on it. I don't like the always having to move, its nice at work but not if I ever want to relax”

katiedodson August 23, 2008

“My son has been taking Abilify to help his aggressive behavior associated with his ADHD. He plays with the other children like he did before the aggresive behavior developed and is doing a lot better.”

Anonymous March 18, 2010

“My Daughter has ADHD with a high level of agression, she is eleven. This medicine has so far been a miracle for her and for all of us too. It has been about six weeks and she has only experienced a small amount of weight gain. She is more focused at school and not fighting with friends, teachers, and family. She is doing homework and cleaning her room. She doesn't seem to have any sleep problems. I will watch the weight gain and look for signs of muscle reactions. Otherwise I am praying this medicine continues the way it has because I have not yelled for the first time in 9 or 10 years and she is happy. More dr's need to step away form Concerta and that family of drugs if they see they dont work or causes the aggression.”

Artsygirl · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

“I have been taking abilify 1mg for almost 3 weeks now for racing thoughts and I don't find the side effects are going away, I have terrible restless feeling, fast heartbeat, terrible cloudy head feeling and vomiting. I hate the side effects and think I'm going to stop taking it. I am super sensitive to meds so I started at .5 and even then had the same thing, it sucks because it did help the racing thoughts but does nothing for my anxiety or depression disorder.”

anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 14, 2021

“I was put on 4mg of Abilify for anxiety. The worst drug I have ever been put on. While it almost immediately took action on my anxious and intrusive thoughts and panic attacks, there was a cost that eventually took over my life. It made me empty headed to the point where I couldn’t hold conversations with people without feeling awkward or wondering how in the world I'm gonna keep this conversation going. I was constantly drained around my friends and couldn’t enjoy myself because all I could think about was what I was gonna say next. Abilify got rid of my creativity, I was in an artistic block for months. Awful drug, do not recommend.”

Cool Cat · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2021

“The side effects are bad at first - do not take Abilify at night! My feet were erratic starting out and I had a hard time sleeping because I took it at night. Another side effect: Weight gain does occur! But, this is not because the pill has calories (one review said) or because it gives you munchies (another review said). It simply changes the way your body stores leptin and processes food. Adding in slight exercise, or reducing your calories with healthier foods might help - or if you are lucky, it might not affect you at all. I did not notice the weight gain effects on the 5 mg, but I did on the 10 mg. I have gained three pounds in one week. Personally, the weight is not something I can handle, so I will be going back to 5 mg because that worked just fine for me. It might take some experimenting but try it first (always start with a low dose).”

quarky2001 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2018

“I was started on this to try to help my misophonia (reaction to sounds such as dripping water, chewing, snapping gum or repetitive noises, such as pencil tapping) after Risperdal (made me feel like a zombie) and Seroquel (just knocked me out) didn't work, and I've actually been quite happy with the results. I still get irritated by people chewing gum around me, but the Abilify helps me not to dwell on the thoughts and worries about the future that cause most of my anxiety. I can move on from a bad situation in less than a minute now, rather than dwelling on it for hours at a time and thinking myself into a deep dark hole.”

Haightguy · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 11, 2013

“Started taking Abilify for anxiety about five years ago, when nothing else worked. In about half an hour I could feel the change in me. So much calmer! The only problem is extreme fatigue. Sleep 10 hours a day with naps. Taking 2.5 mg.”

Nekoneko · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2015

“The least I can do for this amazing discovery of a medication is to do a review and say that it literally saved my life. I wanted to take away my own life because of hypersexuality waves that I've been experiencing for as long as I can remember. Somehow I always pushed myself behind the edge by telling myself - "you just can't give up before making sure that I tried all the options" Thank goodness I didn't give up. After couple of years of such an agony I finally met my second psychiatrist who suggested that I may have some very atypical type of bipolar disorder, and he suggested me to try Abilify. For the first time in my life I knew what it means to have a fully controllable sex drive. Please never give up. Cliche saying, but so true! :)”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2016

“After going off of this medication and switching to a less expensive one, I became so fuzzy headed and unclear. It was horrible. Once I went back on it, it took about four weeks for it to start working again. Finally I started seeing things more clearly and things were getting easier to sort out for me. This is my miracle drug. If you have anxiety or any kind of fear, I would recommend this med.”

Happy Dad December 20, 2011

“My daughter is 7 now and we leave in Brasil. Recently we visited the Amen Clinic in Reston/VA and her life changed. The doctor gave her Lamictal Intuniv. It didn't work as expected, she continued to be very hyper. So her Doctor decided to replace Lamictal for Abilify 5mg/day Intuniv 0.5mg/day. What a miracle. My daughter never played by herself for more than 5 minutes, now she plays quietly for hours. She's now the perfect little girl we always wanted and we can really enjoy being with her. She still needs to improve at school, can't focus without assistance, but we think this is improving as well, as it is right now. I must say we are very pleased with the combination Abilify Intuniv.”