User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Agitated State.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Agitated State

"My little brother was on this medicine for close to a week and half and the second he realized it wasn't helping him he stopped taking them and the life is sucked out of his body. He has cold sweats and struggles to find a meaning for life. Before he was happy and just had some major issues with our parents so the psychiatrist prescribed him this. This is a bad drug . 1 star. Cry on your friend shoulders until your better but don't take this drug if I met the creator of this I would express to him/her how many lives he probably responsible for- it is a disgrace to society."

jason12345 May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Abilify made me extremely aggitated about the smallest things that wouldn't normally anger me. The time I was on it I am surprised I didn't end up in prison or a psych ward. One of the worst experiences of my life.. They must have had a good ad campaign for this drugs, because doctors seems to think it is the answer to everything. Fact is, the two trials done for the drug before it became the next coming of Jesus were done by the drug company who made it. Funny thing is, thy didn't hide in their trial that is caused agitation in a little less than half of their patients, which raises the question of why these companies even bother doin trials. They should just sell sugar pills, because it is clear that money was their only motivator..."

Nexxt March 13, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this just a week ago for severe anxiety brought on by some recent experiences I had. In the 13 years I've been seeing my psychiatrist I've never had such panic. He immediately asked me a couple of questions, knowing me very well, and then prescribed the lowest dose. I was hesitant but couldn't see any other option than I give this a try! WOW! For the first time in about a month I feel more "normal"! The anxiety is just about gone, I am functioning again and no side effects that I can detect and I am a lightweight with meds!"

MsMaggieMia2 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It did lots of bad things to me. Increased anger . sometimes when upset just pick up a mug and smash it. Could not control it. Also was violent with some one at least twice. Kicked a hole in the wall in hospital . jumped out of moving car. Found it hard to stay in one spot for long . probably had akathisia."

anonymouse no name (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After going off of this medication and switching to a less expensive one, I became so fuzzy headed and unclear. It was horrible. Once I went back on it, it took about four weeks for it to start working again. Finally I started seeing things more clearly and things were getting easier to sort out for me. This is my miracle drug. If you have anxiety or any kind of fear, I would recommend this med."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm taking abilify with an antidepressant to stabilize my mood. It just makes me shakey and agitated. Before Abilify my mood would be up and down. But now I'm just down and agitated all the time."

Aries100 April 2, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The least I can do for this amazing discovery of a medication is to do a review and say that it literally saved my life. I wanted to take away my own life because of hypersexuality waves that I've been experiencing for as long as I can remember. Somehow I always pushed myself behind the edge by telling myself - "you just can't give up before making sure that I tried all the options" Thank goodness I didn't give up. After couple of years of such an agony I finally met my second psychiatrist who suggested that I may have some very atypical type of bipolar disorder, and he suggested me to try Abilify. For the first time in my life I knew what it means to have a fully controllable sex drive. Please never give up. Cliche saying, but so true! :)"

Nekoneko (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with toxic psychosis due to cannabis abuse and this medicine saved my life while no other medicine could end my delusions and paranoia. I am very thankful."

notpsychoticanymore (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2014

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this to replace Wellbutrin, which didn't seem to work. This medication seems to make me very easily agitated not to mention the fatigue."

sigmapi484 (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2014

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this medication because of the extreme stresses associated with a chronic disabling disease called relapsing polychondritis. It has destroyed all of my joints, cervical spine damage, ataxia, and the loss of everything in my life that I had worked 30 years to obtain. All gone. I am the type of person who is more angry, agitated, infuriated, by the effects of this condition than I am sad or depressed about it. I was also in chronic pain daily too since May of 2012. NO painkillers would help this type of pains. I can NOT take methotrexate, DMARDs, biologics, only prednisone, a great diet, and an occasional NSAID. Then my Doc gave me this. I am so happy at this moment (not) to feel the burning sensations, squeezing, aching, pain."

Mr. Enduring December 7, 2013

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking Abilify for anxiety about five years ago, when nothing else worked. In about half an hour I could feel the change in me. So much calmer! The only problem is extreme fatigue. Sleep 10 hours a day with naps. Taking 2.5 mg."

Haightguy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2013

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My child was diagnosed at the age of 4 with severe ADHD. We tried all medications. Even added Risperdal. He was very angry and agitated all the time. After 1 week on Abilify (along with metadate) he is a whole new kid. Loving it!"

Maximus412 January 19, 2013

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My teen is on first week of Abilify & Strattera will be added in another week for ADD. He had been on Focalin for ADD/ADHD which we thought worked the best of all. ADD meds we tried over many years BUT what we didn't realize is that Stimulant meds (like Focalin, Concerta) can cause paranoia/anxiety and agitation, which came out in him - making his Dr think he had a secondary more worrisome disorder. Every symptom went away after stopping the Stimulant med for 2 months. I hope Abilify works as a balance for the Strattera. His Dr said no more stimulant meds for him - although they work the best. "

Anonymous September 27, 2012

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My daughter is 7 now and we leave in Brasil. Recently we visited the Amen Clinic in Reston/VA and her life changed. The doctor gave her Lamictal Intuniv. It didn't work as expected, she continued to be very hyper. So her Doctor decided to replace Lamictal for Abilify 5mg/day Intuniv 0.5mg/day. What a miracle. My daughter never played by herself for more than 5 minutes, now she plays quietly for hours. She's now the perfect little girl we always wanted and we can really enjoy being with her. She still needs to improve at school, can't focus without assistance, but we think this is improving as well, as it is right now. I must say we are very pleased with the combination Abilify Intuniv."

Happy Dad December 20, 2011

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take this for borderline personality disorder. This medication helped a lot with my mood swings, anger, purging (but not binging), as well as keeping my somewhat delusional 'thoughts' in check (such as thinking that I am morbidly obese, an evil person, that people are following me, etc). It did make me very tired at first (and still does a little), it is somewhat related to weight gain as well, though less than most other antipsychotics, and I have gained 10-15lbs so far (in 2 months). Overall, I think this medication is pretty good, despite the weight gain and fatigue."

Momo Mathieu July 17, 2011

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My Daughter has ADHD with a high level of agression, she is eleven. This medicine has so far been a miracle for her and for all of us too. It has been about six weeks and she has only experienced a small amount of weight gain. She is more focused at school and not fighting with friends, teachers, and family. She is doing homework and cleaning her room. She doesn't seem to have any sleep problems. I will watch the weight gain and look for signs of muscle reactions. Otherwise I am praying this medicine continues the way it has because I have not yelled for the first time in 9 or 10 years and she is happy. More dr's need to step away form Concerta and that family of drugs if they see they dont work or causes the aggression."

Anonymous March 18, 2010

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 10-yr old son has been taking 1 mg Abilify in the morning for the past 4 months. He used to be prone to loud shouting, hitting, spitting, etc. at home, but now little things don't bother him as much and he's easier to reason with. No side effects from this dose seem apparent so far. He's also taking 36 mg Concerta for ADD symptoms which would otherwise keep him from functioning for more than a couple of hours in the classroom. He's also taking Depakote for seizure control. He's been seizure-free for 2.5 years now, and we are gradually reducing that dose to zero. Eventually, we hope to reduce all these drugs to zero, one at a time."

cygnet101 January 4, 2010

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Makes me shakey."

Anonymous December 8, 2009

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this medication in addition to Zoloft 100mg. My doctor had me on it as a mood stabilizer at 5mg a day. I don't have bipolar disorder, but had some manic or agitated behavior at the time (which could've been caused by the Zoloft). Doctor prescribed it and thought it would help. It increased my energy, and I began to workout more. For some reason, I woke up early every morning around 8AM while I was on Abilify. I'm not a morning person so that's really early for me. Also I felt "speeded up", overly confident and optimistic. I had to stop taking it because I experienced odd involuntary tongue movements. I was also on Seroquel which is in the same family of drugs as Abilify, so the doctor thought the combination is what caused the odd effect."

MacKat August 5, 2009

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication made me sleepy and far less alert than normal. It worsened my condition."

nettie w. April 23, 2009

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My son has been taking Abilify to help his aggressive behavior associated with his ADHD. He plays with the other children like he did before the aggresive behavior developed and is doing a lot better."

katiedodson August 23, 2008

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 25 year old son was prescribed this medication for his aggressive behavior and inablity to concentrate. As a child he was diagnosed with ADHD with aggressive behavior. His behavior only worsened as he got older and was not on any medication. He was unable to keep a job and was always in trouble with the police for fighting and just unable make good decisions. After starting Abilify he has had a steady job for 6 months and his agressive behavior is gone. I have my son back."

dwinch July 3, 2008