User Reviews for Ritalin to treat ADHD

Ritalin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Ritalin

Old(ish) Fella March 1, 2020

“I'm 56 year old male. 87kg. Recently diagnosed ADHD as Im easily distracted & can't concentrate easily. I'm in good health, and successful & don't get depressed. Unfortunately Ritalin has NO effect on me at all. I have no feeling of it coming on or wearing off. All I get is a dry mouth at higher doses. I began fast release 10mg @ 8am & 10mg @ 1pm. The upped to 20mg am & 20 mg pm. Then 30 & 30. Nothing. No affect or change in how I feel. Then tried Slow release SR 40 mg am & 40mg arvo. Still nothing. Then tried 20mg Fast with 40mg SR in morning. But was distracted on phone & mistakenly took same dose 15 min later. So 120mg in one hit. I expected to have heart racing & some sort of 'buzz', but NOTHING Very disappointing Would like to try Adderall or similar”

M. Y. February 6, 2020

“I'm 24 y.o male that self diagnosed ADHD about 6 months ago. From as far back as I remember I was restless, inattentive, depressed and forgetful but I didn't know that what was wrong with me. I thought that everybody has a unique behaviour and mind and so this "unusual type" is mine and I should control it by myself! From childhood I was the kid who study hard but gained little, who is forgetful, who is weak in math! Who is lazy. Anyway, now I'm medical student and I found that I have ADD after a long story. I told this to my attending physician and he confirmed that I have ADD, then prescribed ritalin 10mg per day and increased that to the dose 10mg ×3 a day. The best word I can tell you about Ritalin for ADD patients is "Miracle". Now for the first time in my life I understand the meaning of being calm, being happy, being focused, being organized and many other good 'Being's'. It was a huge change in my life and I'm happy for that. The side effects for me was very mild and gone with the time and I want to continue it.”

Ali · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2020

“I'm a 20-year-old woman, 179 cm and 61 kg, who just got diagnosed with ADD for the first time in my life, after living with it untreated for so many years. So, my doctor wanted to prescribe me with Ritalin, though in a small doses, so I didn't just go all in from the start. I started with 10mg, which didn't have an affect. Then I took 20mg, I felt a little more energized but nothing else. Then I tried 30mg today. I felt extremely fresh in my mind, instead of the weird slump I'm usually in. Very happy, which suggests that what I lacked before was dopamine. Still no difference with anything else, like my poor concentration and focus, but on the other side there is no side effects as of late. Other than the things, that I've already struggle with, like depression and anxiety. Not a bad experience thus far, but I'm still a little bit nervous, about how 40mg and 50mg will affect me.”

Sherie · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2019

“30, female, ADD, 95 lbs. Just to share what I have experienced for starting on Ritalin (5mg) today for the very first time. I did not feel anything on the first pill (at 1:10pm) and I took the second one around 7 hours later (around 7:50pm). The second one kicked in around 2 hours later. I was alert and could stay patient at one task before jumping onto the next one. I also felt talkative so I responded a couple of emails efficiently ( it usually takes me a while to draft an email) and got on the social media to greet friends (I do not chat on social media much I am never good at keeping in touch with people.) It was until 4am and I felt my body needed rest but my brain was still alert. I put myself to sleep but then I woke up with a fast heart rate just 1 hour and 10 min later. At this moment, I finally feel it is wearing off as I am typing. I know this because has taken me 20 min so far to write this comment - I am reverting to the attention-deficient and anxious myself.”

net December 13, 2019

“I have ADHD and today was my first day on Ritalin and it sucked! The effects lasted for an hour and when it did work I felt like a zombie and didn't want to move. It also made me tired and kinda sensitive to sound. And, it didn't even make me feel focused so really, whats the point?”

MG · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2019

“Let me start off by saying I suffer from anxiety to start with on top on my ADHA. Ritalin made me feel more anxious and jittery.”

eleven · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 13, 2019

“22, Male, ADD, Anxiety-disorder Ritalin (Methylphenidate) is amazing. However, there's a catch: - it enhances focus but does not direct your focus towards a subject that you're not interested in - I experience extreme euphoria/confidence/optimism for about 1 hour (it builds up gradually, peaking at 2 hour mark with 10mg - if you use this daily, tolerance builds up quickly after every 2 weeks (for me) -when I stop taking it I feel depressed for days but it will wear off as "naturally occurring chemicals" reach equilibrium again I suggest cycling it according to your productive days: - 3/4 days a week and the rest off (avoiding tolerance and dependence) - it enhances your CURRENT focus, so start working/studying for 15/30 min THEN take it (I've researched the most irrelevant topics which excite me the most for hours, only to find that within 30 min the Ritalin's effects are going to wear off)”

ADHD Gal · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

“I started Ritalin 10 mg 3 times daily yesterday as I have ADHD. I feel calmer and less anxious, but it is not a huge difference. I also seem to be in a more positive mood, and getting myself motivated to do things seems easier, but that could just be the placebo effect at work. First thing I did when the first dose kicked in was have a nap, so it must be calming me down. I expected my tourettes or anxiety to get worse, but I haven't noticed any side effects so far.”

ADHD girl · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2019

“I started taking these pills 3 days ago, 20 mg each morning. I LOVE THEM. I’ve been more calm, no fidgeting, peace in my head from all of the thoughts, feeling happier and no side effects at all!”

Rae · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2019

“I'm 19, female and i've been on this medication about 3 weeks and have slowly upped the dose from 10mg twice a day to 20mg and I feel like when I just started it it worked wonders but now I need more and more for it to help. My pyschiatrist told me to take it everyday. The last couple days I've been on 40mg a day and it doesn't do anything for me anymore, maybe my tolerance is high and I shouldn't be taking it everyday. But I'm still figuring out what works for me, I find I am quite resistant to most drugs like I need more than most people but I only weigh 40kg so I'm a little disappointed at the moment but I think it might just be a tolerance thing and maybe I should only take it when I need it like for university.”

Rey · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2019

“(18 M) I recently got diagnosed with ADD and was given ritalin. 5mg per day as a start up dose. I have dabbled with other drugs in the past, like cannabis, LSD, mushrooms and morphine. I took ritalin for two days before deciding to quit. Never in my entire life have I ever felt this level of addiction, nor have I ever crashed this bad on any drug. I have suffered with severe depression, OCD and anxiety for some years. The crash gave me a rebound to my past psychosis.”

kevjam September 20, 2019

“35 year old adult male, undiagnosed ADD my whole life, depression and anxiety as well. This drug has completely turned me around. 20mg in the morning, 10 mg in the afternoon. When on it, I don't feel high, just alive. I'm awake, alert, focused and most importantly out of my shell. I don't dread work, I welcome it, I hunger for tasks. I almost immediately go from insecure introvert to confident extrovert. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to function now without it. I refuse to abuse it so I am very strict with my 30mg per day. When it wears off, I completely revert back to my old self.”

Princess · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 9, 2019

“I'm 47 year old female and I was diagnosed with ADD and a few other illnesses after my only child was murdered. I am on 20mg 3 times a day, I have found that Ritalin works the best for me on staying focused and keeping my head together and not all over the place. It's not a 100% cure all but I can tell a difference for the good. The only bad experience I had was when I ran out and didn't have them for 3 days and it caused me to go through withdrawal. That wasn't a pleasant experience so I make sure I fill them on time and take them like I'm supposed to.”

Ranger · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 4, 2019

“39 years old. Battled with ADHD unknowingly my entire life. Turned to alcohol before getting diagnosed as this would help me deal with constantly being wired for sound! Unfortunately this also caused my liver enzymes to go out of whack. Stopped drink, this led to depression which lead to psychological treatment and ADHD was diagnosed. So gutted I have been so late to get diagnosed and get treatment. Ritalin has changed my life. I am focused and organised for the first time ever.”

College student July 31, 2019

“Adderall and Ritalin allow me to use my intelligence for what I need it for, instead of it being dispersed on 40 tasks at once.”

Omaha · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2019

“I am a 25 year old Male that works in the Health Field. I have had ADHD my whole life and started taking this medication to help get my life in order and to help get all of my thoughts together. This pill is amazing for organization and for getting tasks done that need to be completed. I have no complaints with this medications regarding how effective it was at treating my ADHD and increasing my focus. The reason that I scored this medication on the lower spectrum is because when I was taking this medicine I would get severe headaches. The headaches would happen 30 minutes into taking the medication. The headaches were not ordinary headaches. It felt as if I was going to have a brain aneurysm. Highly recommend this medication to people that do not experience severe headaches while taking it.”

Jadey June 28, 2019

“First off, it was horrible for me. I will never go back to Ritalin ever again. I was on 10mg of Ritalin and it lasted around 2 hours. It was the weirdest experience. I felt simultaneously euphoric, jittery and stimulated, but also lazy and just wanted to sleep (???). It did give me a strong boost of energy which lasted throughout the day. After 2 hours was when things got really bad. I guess this is the 'crash'. It made me horribly depressed, anxious, and filled with rage. The anxiety was so bad that every single thing I set eyes on would trigger me, like looking at the laundry basket filled with laundry. I also felt extremely anti-social and didn't want to talk to anyone, not even my husband. Finally towards the end of the night I would return to my normal self again, but you can imagine the emotional roller-coaster I experienced the entire day. I tried to brush it off and chalked it down to stress. But looking back now, I am 100% certain that it was all due to the Ritalin.”

FIRSTTIMER · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2019

“Went on Ritalin for the first time today and I hated it. Took 5mg at 8:30am and then another 5mg at 12:30pm. Within an hour of taking both times I was falling asleep at my desk and had to follow up with a coffee to stay awake. I didn’t feel as though it made me anymore alert or focused. The second pill I took after an hour and a half I felt hot and my heart rate increased. I did notice it suppressed my appetite for 3 hours. In the afternoon I suffered severe irritability, to the point where I was yelling at colleagues then suffered what I believe was a panic attack. Felt not on control, was crying uncontrollably. I forced myself to work out so I could work the Ritalin out of my system. Horrible :(”

Susan · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2019

“I've always known that I battled with either ADD or ADHD since childhood. I never bothered to get formally diagnosed, but if left untreated it results in severe anxiety and depression. Due to this I lost my job and realised that it was affecting the quality of life. I got assessed and diagnosed at the age of 43 with Adult ADHD - severe. I was really scared to take the Ritalin because of the bad reputation it has but the difference was immediate. I feel calm, at piece, no more anxiety, can focus. It is life changing. Side effects minimum. I think this med is demonized unnecessary. I have my life back.”

Cogito Ergo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 7, 2019

“I am a 33 y.o. male. After years of cycling through pretty much all antidepressants on the market, including SSRIs, SNRIs and tricyclics, I was starting to get desperate and hopeless and ready to give up on my life. I was stoked to encounter a diligent psychiatrist who concluded that my suffering was caused by untreated ADHD. I have been prescribed with Ritalin. This medication saved my career, my relationship, and my life in general. My mind is clear, my anxiety and depression resolved. I am no longer hopeless about my future, and I finally managed feel joy of living. Compared to my experience with antidepressants, I feel very natural and "myself". I can experience a full range of emotions again. The side effects are minimal, especially compared to antidepressants. Looking in retrospect at my life and getting a bit more educated about ADHD, I have realised that all my past struggles made perfect sense - I was misdiagnosed and treated with wrong medications for a very long time.”

Ketapang · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 11, 2019

“I've been taking methylphenidate (Ritalin) for years and it helps but l must take Tylenol with it or l get a headache. I'm more focused and energetic. Not wiping away my ADD 100% but it works on many levels.”

Luc · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2019

“After trying Dexedrine and having a few unpleasant side effects my doctor had me try Ritalin. I was on it for about 2 weeks before I decided I wasn't going to take it anymore. Severe depression, increased anxiety and worsened general ADHD symptoms were the norm on this drug for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2019

“I'm a mid fifties male that recently started taking Ritalin. I've been on it for about 3 months now and really like the changes. The ability to stay on task is amazing. I take the immediate release 2x per day (10mg/pill). It takes about 30 minutes for the effects to kick in, but it is subtle. Each dosage lasts about 4 hours hours. I take the first pill around 800am and the second at 1pm. I take it Monday - Friday, and sometimes on weekends, if I have a project I'd really like to get completed. At this point, I haven't experienced any noticeable side effects. Yes, it does kill your appetite during the 4 hour cycle, but it does return quickly thereafter. For anyone looking for the best vitamin/supplement for improved productivity due to ADHD, just go to your doctor and take something that's proven effective and regulated by the FDA.”

JasonWlker34 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2018

“Struggled for many years. Tried all the wrong meds. Started Ritalin and works fine for me. I do have high blood pressure so it does affect me when Ritalin wears off but feel 90% better.”

Anonymous November 7, 2018

“I'm 54 yrs old and recently started taking 10mg once a day, 5x a week (usually weekdays). After years of talking about projects and ideas, it is now quite easy to get and stay on task. It's not like I didn't get things done before, but now I am motivated to complete tasks. In the past, most projects that required any substantial amount of time to complete would immediately be put on the back burner. Now I feel motivated to see them through. In the past I would self-medicate with large amounts of coffee, but that only lasted for so long. Now, I have switched to Decaf and take medication once I get to the office. My dosage is minimal at this point and have a follow-up to see where I'm at in regards to possibly changing the dosage in a couple weeks. With my dosage (immediate release) I can tell the medication is kicking in as I start to feel warmer. That takes about 30 minutes. As others have stated, this dosage last about 4-5 hours. So far so good.”