User Reviews for Ritalin

Ritalin Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Ritalin to treat ADHD

"It's something that is useful. It helps me focus and gives me energy to help get my day started. The only thing that bugs me is a suppressed appetite and at times makes my depression worse until it wears off also makes my have to urinate more frequently"

Nicknameman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

"This drug has been nothing but a miracle for me. After years of suffering with concentration/attention problems and a string of failures this drug has allowed me to achieve what I want and excel in my academics and life. I take 20 - 30 mg/day 3 - 5 days a week with regular drug holidays. If you have ADHD and are suffering because of it with a history of failures in your life you won't regret getting treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2018

"I think it's a very good medication and it can helps a lot! I have been taking this drug when I was 14-15 years old and at the beginning it works well but then because I took a high dosage of Ritalin (around 60-80 mg daily) I experienced a few side effects (just like increased heart rate, weight loss and insomnia! So I stoped taking this drug and after that I have been taking Strattera (atomoxetin) for a year but that was terrible. I had insomnia so bad I couldn't sleep for 36-60 hours maybe twice a week and besides that I usually slept 3-4 hours), I also had increase hearth rate (maybe 100-130 in the morning, increase blood pressure(100/190), headache and stomach problem. So I stoped taking this medication too. Now I am 18 years old and I started to take Ritalin but not every day only when I have to learn a lot and just 10mg twice a day and I think it works very well and it has no any side effects. So I thing its a very good and useful medications just the "normal" dosage is very important!"

Miklos25 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

"Side effect for women. I took this for 8 months and bled every day. I was in my mid 20’s and did not realize it was this pill. Even one pill of the lowest amount will cause me to spot. This is a rare condition of .07%. The bleeding was horrible and constant. I spent hundreds of dollars getting tested on my female body to see the cause. Once I realized it was the meds I stopped. Scariest time of my life!!! Be warned ladies. This could happen to you."

Kw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2018

"Ritalin works well for ADHD. It is not a long lasting medication. Most of the the time it’s given in tablet form and does only last about 3-4 hours. So you will need to take it a couple of times throughout the day. I have been on vayvanse and adderall as well. Adderall works best for me. Vayvanse also works well but it lasts for so long, 12 hours or more. I can still eat and have appetite on adderall and Ritalin but with vayvanse I could go all day without eating. Ritalin is a good medication when taken correctly that will help with adhd."

Huron92 April 11, 2018

"I was diagnosed with severe ADHD - inattentive type and Ritalin literally is the difference in me getting through my To Do list or just wondering what in the world I have been doing all day. Over the years I have run across multiple medical professionals who will not prescribe this mediation. Like an idiot I listened to them and tried other medications. ALL of these medications had worse side effects and did NOTHING to correct my ADHD. They tried all of the non stimulant medications and Bupropn HCL - none worked and several had VERY bad side effects. Medical professionals who refuse to listen to their patients should lose their license to practice. You are messing with people's lives here, people! The worse side effects I had with Ritalin was appetite suppression and mild anxiety specifically if I drank too much of coffee with the medication. This is over a period of 15 years on the medication."

Anna Mouse March 22, 2018

"30 year old male. Recently diagnosed with ADHD. Been taking 10mg x3 times a day. 8am (with breaky) 12pm (with lunch) 4pm (with snack) I realised after a week that I can NOT mix it with coffee, if I do, it makes me feel very anxious and "Jittery" however I don't find the side effects that bad at all without coffee. I do want to keep playing with the doses to tweak it but off to a good start. Glad I realised it was the coffee making me feel like rubbish before I gave up on the drug."

RP (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2018

"Diagnosed at 33 when I was finally able to find the right psychiatrist, I was prescribed generic Ritalin and it quite Iiterally changed my life. It was a bit of a journey to find the right formulation and dose. I take this form of short acting Ritalin after the Ritalin LA wears off (usually 6-7 hours). Pros: Works quickly, cheap, well known and researched, relatively easy to obtain (not as much of a shortage as other more "fancy" formulations), and works for a large population of people with ADHD. Cons: Wears off quickly (sometimes 2 Hrs for me), feels like a bumpy ride of ups and downs, hard to remember to take on time. Drink lots of water, make sure you graze on high protein snacks to avoid getting hangry, take a shower and get up and do something. I get sucked into "the zone" if I take my meds and then come online... for example :) Good luck to you in finding your best self!"

Stewarln1 March 11, 2018

"I've been ritalin for a little over a week now and I have noticed that the mornings in first period are much easier to get through, but throughout the day when I'm on it I'll experience these low points of depression where I'm literaly just sitting at my desk and not be able to do anything. It works for calming me and I'm a lot less restless but once it wears off it feels like a wave of ADHD hits me and I start running around out of control doing things like yelling and jumping."

Carlosdielol February 13, 2018

"I'm 18 years old & just got prescribed ritalin for ADD. The first day I was studying for 5 hours and then felt completley drained mentally. In general I can do a lot more then before but I feel like its losing effect very quickly, as I can't feel it anymore so I don't take it when I don't have to study(so i don't get too high of a tolerance) I started on 10mg once a day and after a week I upped to 10mg 3x a day. I drink a lot of coffee, guarana and stuff so the effect are better. If I finish high school it will because of ritalin"

zzara December 20, 2017

"I started taking Ritalin recently and it has already dramatically changed my life. I was diagnosed with nervous depression last year and prescribed Zoloft, which significantly drew me out of my depression. But Ritalin made me understand what it is like to be highly functioning. I cried after the first day I took it out of pure elation. I was able to stay awake at school the whole day (a huge personal rarity for me) and I stayed on topic and could hold conversations way easier after the first week. I stopped being so scatter brained. My only complaint would be slight nausea and insomnia. I just wish it helped with my hyperspaces, as i am still jittery, but I am on a low dose."

ali78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2017

"I’m a 19 year old athletic kid, and when I was prescribed this 3 years ago it did wonders. It was my junior year of high school and I was prescribed 10mg twice a day, once in the morning and once at lunch, with an optional one in the afternoon if I had a lot of homework or studying. My grades were much better and it didn’t have any side effects. Now, 3 years later I have a bad tolerance and I had to up my dosage to 20mg three times a day. I now take it to even make it to class and if I don’t take it I can barely stay awake. Like many people said it makes you feel extremely sluggish like a zombie, and it’s an absolutely awful feeling. I lose emotions, have mood swings and even my sex drive with my girlfriend is completely destroyed."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 30, 2017

"It's bad for kids with ADHD because when I was 5 they gave it to me it kept me up for 72 hours and I took it every 4 days."

blakers September 13, 2017

"I was prescribed the 10mg IR Ritalin, to be taken three times a day a few weeks ago. To say the least, I have developed a tolerance to the drug. It has a bad comedown 2-3 hours after I take the drug. But it has done wonders for my depression and ADHD symptoms. The only downside I found is that it makes me feel like a zombie, too focused, much nervous and has a nasty after-effects. But so far it has been a revolutionary step in my life. I will try switching to the LA version though."

caduhunterbr (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

"I have only been on ritalin for a couple days now and the results are great. My concentration and focus has improved, I can get more things done and I feel more motivated and self assured. My social life is better and can keep a conversation going. The downsides for me where fast heart rate which made me feel anxious, a bad headache when I first took it and a decreased in appetite. Overall this is working for me so far and I would say to not abuse this drug, combine it with alcohol or anything else and to eat well before taking medicine. hope this helps"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

"There are some things I love about this medicine, like my ability to focus and get things done. But I really hate the side effect of having no appetite because I'm skinny to begin with. It also increases my heart rate which can make my feel anxious. It also gives me diarrhea which my doctor said does happen to some people. It's super effective, but I wish I could get rid of those side effects. may be better for people who do not need to focus 12 hours a day like I do because I require 3 doses a day."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 3, 2017

"Fantastic controlled for the first time in my life"

Bloomers (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

"Been on and off Ritalin for yrs. The reg. version works well for me, but its effect was gone in under 3 hrs. The extended release was useless - I metabolize it too quickly and was ODing on it after about an hr. When I was working, it was great not wasting time getting distracted by crap: no retracing my steps to remember what I was looking for; no wondering why I had the telephone in my hand - was I calling or answering, etc? But I didn't like driving under Ritalin - I was used to having my attention all over the place and being able to see EVERYTHING that was going on around me: traffic slowing 5 blocks up; a wingnut weaving thru lanes 2 blocks behind. I only took it while working or when I needed to focus. Same thing now."

LaFleik (taken for 10 years or more) March 21, 2017

"I am a 28 year old female. I have been taking 20 mg Ritalin per day for 8 weeks, first short acting, then tried the long acting. By far the short acting helped my concentration in school, work, and my social life. When I switched to the extended release it felt like it wasn't doing jack, even though I was taking the same dose. The only thing I don't like about the short acting was the loss of appetite. So annoying. But I'm about to start back with the short acting and with 40 mg per day. I can't wait to have my concentration back!"

Cluck clack (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2016

"I wanted to update about my medication. I am now 20 mg. of Ritalin twice daily and 50 mg. of Zoloft generic once daily. Having suffered bipolar depression, PTSD, ADD/ADHD throughout different periods throughout my life. I also Borderline/Mild General Learning Disability a labeling in terms that is least offensive to Mild Mental Retardation or Borderline/Mild Intellectual Disability. In my case the GLD is extremely least severe in slightest degree. Ritalin actually works very well for me while Zoloft treats the anxiety, depression, and some mild obsessive compulsive behavioral thoughts but nothing extreme severe or seriousness. In some people depending DNA, generics how medication effects the individual might be very different, etc."

AshleyNave100 November 15, 2016

"I've been taking Ritalin for about 4 months now and it has helped me immensely. I'm a college student and suffer from ADD, Major Depressive Disorder and OCD. I was put on this during a hospitalization because in the past I was on Concerta and it worked wonders. So being on this medication I have been able to concentrate better on my schooling and other tasks. The downfall with this med is that it lasts for about 5 hours before it wears off. The other downfall is that I am recovering from an eating disorder and the loss of appetite makes it hard to want to eat."

Shaylyngramza (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2016

"I took 15 mg instant release Ritalin for ADHD, to combat daytime sleepiness, and focus on med school studies. I have mixed feelings about this medication. It improved my focus a lot, but it also had some negative effects. I was very nauseous after taking the pill and would sometimes gag. Nausea was absent on days I didn't take it. I had no appetite so I wasn't eating enough, which isn't ideal because I am already thin and not looking to lose weight. I would try to eat before taking the pill but I did notice either a decreased efficacy of the drug. It also increased my heart rate to about 120 beats per min (I am normally about 75). This did help me feel motivated and get work done, I just wish I didn't experience these side effects."

-- (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2016

"I've been taking methylphenidate (Ritalin) for years. I started during my professional career, because according to my psych, I am "too smart to sit still", and that because of that, my brain gets bored easily then my attention span fades. With Ritalin I can focus like a laser on tasks, get much more done, stay organized, and it also helps with that afternoon sleepiness. Added bonus is it revs up your basal metabolic rate, and reduces appetite so you can lose weight easily. Downside, it increases BP. If you have high BP you may want to avoid it. I take a 20 mg pill 3-4 times a day, never after dinner if you want to sleep."

Chicago engineer August 31, 2016

"COULD NOT STOP EATING! After taking Ritalin for about 1 month, I noticed a strong desire to snack. Just munch on anything; crackers, peanut butter, carrots. Whatever was around. It was like the constant munchies. Then the snacking turned into constant eating after another month. A constant desire to eat in order to feel good. It was as if I didn't feel well, and only eating would take the edge off. So about 2 months and 10 pounds later, I switched to Adderall. Why this made me eat like mad I'll never know..."

PollyDarton May 29, 2016

"I was recently prescribed generic form of Ritalin for Aspergers/lack of focus issues. I am in my low 40s and used Meth recreationally for years, although I gave that up thankfully, a while back. This is the third pill I have taken and I assure you, the effects of this drug mimic, in many ways, taking a moderate amount of Meth, although not as strong. However, I realize that it affects different people, different ways based on their chemistry. I am not sure I will take it all the time but it does give me energy and new focus, I was lacking. I can see how this drug could be addictive to some people. But it is extremely expensive."

MercuryMan (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2016