User Reviews for Focalin XR

ADHD

Summary of Focalin XR reviews 8.1 67 reviews

Reviews for Focalin XR

For ADHD "My wife and I adopted. At the the time of birth doctors told us he was born addicted to crack cocaine also might not learn or express himself in a standard way. Our son is now 8yrs old in third grade omega prodigy program. He started taking Focalin and guanfacine at 6yrs old helped tremendously. 2 months to start working over summer. It's not a miracle drug it just helps keep him focused. I have not seen any side affects and no we are not rich or private school boot camp people. We just have him read 45min a day and let him be a kid. Good luck"

Real deal (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2018

For ADHD "I hate giving my child medicine. Absolutely hate it. My son was doing so poorly in school though without it. With it his grades are so much better. I tried stopping it for two months and had to give it to him again because grades and behavior took a nose dive."

Mom411 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2018

For ADHD "I've always had ADD but didn't start trying to get help with it until I was about to start college. I tried Adderall for 2 weeks and became unable to eat and felt constantly awful. It was obvious Adderall wasn't working for me, so my doctor recommend Focalin XR, and I really can't recommend it enough. About a week after taking Focalin (10mg twice daily) I went from that to being able to work without distraction for at least 4 hours. I could focus on all the things I enjoyed for longer periods. I was no longer asking my friends and others "I'm sorry could you repeat that?" like I was before constantly. It has also helped me with my depression, I feel so much more motivated and I'm able to finally organize things without it feeling like a chore. Sadly it's quite expensive, unless you have very good insurance. My previous insurance covered it until I turned 19 at about $5, but with my current insurance it's $170/month with a discount coupon."

Cool Guy August 16, 2018

For ADHD "I didn’t get diagnosed till I was 30. I’m 31 now. I was taking adderall XR 25mg. I just didn’t feel it working like it should. So my Dr. switched me to focalin xr 30mg. I read the starting dose is 10mg for adults, I guess since I took a higher dose of adderall my dr felt it was best to get me going on a higher dose of focalin. My job is working on the phones I have to call about 300 people a day. There is no way I would be able to perform my job well if I wasn’t taking this medication. I’m focused and not bored, I’m not day dreaming all day, I’m staying in my seat, I don’t have a messy desk. This stuff works."

Captain America (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2018

For ADHD "Has helped so much with my focus at work that I am amazed. Only side Effect I notice is I clench my jaws sometimes to tight. I can live with that."

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2018

For ADHD "18 y/o daughter, 100 pds, prescribed starting dose of 20 mg daily by primary care dr. She went nearly out of her mind and out of control immediately. Anger, crying uncontrollably, inability to process, absolutely like she was on crack. Previously on another ADHD med without these effects. 4 days in we took her off and she returned to sanity. This scared both her and us. It appears she was prescribed 4x the starting dose considering her size...and it is capsules that cannot be split. I Epic fail."

Drew (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2018

For ADHD "I was placed on this medication after taking a 5 question survey on a piece of paper. That DOES NOT determine whether or not you have ADHD. I was on this medication and lost 40 lbs. I also lost several jobs, became very emotionally erratic, and nearly died after arriving to a hospital with a 260 BPM heartbeat. After finding out that I have Mitral Valve Prolapse with regurgitation, I obviously was weened off this medication. I ended up following up with a neurosurgeon completing a CAT scan from a previous Traumatic Brain Injury as a teen and then also completed neuro-psychological testing which proved that I, in fact, do NOT have ADHD even though I was diagnosed with it twice in my life. "

Nunya beeswax January 29, 2018

For ADHD "Ok I have been reading up on the side affects and reviews of this medication my 6 year old had tried 2 or 3 other ADHD medications from a clinic he stayed in for about a month he is on XR 20mg and it to me has honestly done wonders my son is able to focus, learn, sit still and get his school work done. He is so much happier that he is learning and can focus on one subject at a time rather than racing through his brain. I like it and only concerns is he can hold better conversations but his answers to question are very short "How was your day?" "Good...".You have to ask him more questions to get more answers. Then you have to repeat or either give him one instruction at a time for him to complete. I'm concerned about the long term side affects"

MomOf3_V September 24, 2017

For ADHD "I have tried every ADHD drug medication available, both brand and generic (Ritalin XR, Ritalin IR, Adderall XR and IR, generic mixed amphetamine salts, Daytrana, Vyvanse, Strattera, some I can't even remember, if it exists, I've almost certainly tried it. ) Focalin XR is the only one that works. Naturally, that also means that insurance companies don't want to cover it. If you're trying to get it covered and they're dragging their feet, don't give up! You have to jump through a lot of hoops and you have to fight every step of the way. Get your doctor to help you and talk to them. Do NOT give up. Insurance companies love to make it as difficult as possible for people to get effective meds. Don't let them do it."

TheRealAnise (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2017

For ADHD "Works Well"

AmandaLAllen17 February 23, 2017

For ADHD "Hi! I am 18 years old . I was diagnosed with ADHD just a couple months after starting kindergarten. I was having trouble paying attention, got in trouble everyday; seeing the principal was 2-3 times every 2 weeks was normal. I started taking focalin at 5. My grades improved, my conduct improved, and I could focus. I took it every weekday I was in school. It killed my appetite, I became dehydrated a lot and I didn't get all the nutrients I needed to Grow properly ( 16, 124lbs). I stopped taking in 7th grade at my discretion and my grades dropped instantly, my conduct went back. 11th- I started back and instantly my grades improved. Only drawback is I have to force myself to eat."

Anonymous112 December 10, 2016

For ADHD "My son takes Focalin XR for his adhd. I like the medicine but my only complaint is a side effect that is not listed anywhere when I research Focalin. The side effect my son experiences is digging in the ear or the sensation of something in his ear that he needs to get out. The higher the dosage the worse the digging is. I have talked to the doctors, had his ears checked and put on allergey medicines, he still digs in his ears. He does really well with the medicine in school and activities out side of school. I have not seen any other side effect for this medication."

Neary December 8, 2016

For ADHD "My son has been on this for 8 years and it is a huge help. Takes 1st thing in morning and lasts all day. No problem eating dinner and has kept a healthy weight. With the coupon we pay zero out of pocket...."

John's mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2016

For ADHD "I have an 8 year old with ADHD, ODD & anxiety and a 7 year old with ADHD. We tried everything before going to meds - healthy diet (no sugar/dyes), exercise, consistent schedule. Both boys have taken Focalin XR for a year (started with low dosages and increased as they grew) and it's been life changing! The meds have drastically improved their grades, behaviors and relationships. Both boys take a small dose of Focalin with lunch to get through the afternoon and a small dose of Clonidine in the evening to slow things down for bedtime. Focalin XR has been our saving grace - now instead of CONSTANT redirection, we can actually go do things and have fun. The only side effects are suppressed appetite, but they are both a healthy weight."

mom of 3 sweet souls (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2016

For ADHD "I've been taking 20mg of Focalin XR for the past 2 years and have experienced great improvement in mental function and all around health. Focalin has allowed me to focus and be aware of a situation. I have been more efficient at work, more aware of my health and wellbeing, and able to process situations more appropriately. My biggest complaint has been with sleep patterns. Some nights I can sleep 6 hours or I can sleep for 14 and I CAN NOT fall asleep right away. My FitBit has mixed reports, but they are questionable. This is something I have tried to "tweak" with my doctor, but we have not had any success. My second complaint is nausea, but that we have been able to tweak with food consumption and timing."

Ameliabidelia (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 4, 2016

For ADHD "Worst 10 year experience of my life! It gave me bi-polar disorder OCD and even worse ADHD!! It made me get very very very bad anxiety and it felt like I was gonna have a heart explode!"

Unknown Unknown July 3, 2016

For ADHD "It's amazing but don't take 5 or 6 or 7 you will feel sick and stay up and not eat for a day or 2 but if you want a fun focus high go small like 2 or 3 then work your way up if you want to buy its not fun with a lot you start hearing thing and seeing things and you get scared easy but fun at the end did my college homework project and easays and other things I had to do for college got all done in that 24 hour period still up and feel hyper and awake but I know I'm going to crash very soon but the drug does it job 100% for me when I do 1 10mg or 2 10mg I do 2 for test the next day soo I know I'm up and ready for it"

Drake235 June 22, 2016

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 5. My parents stopped medication a few years later. I was re-evaluated at as 25 and given Focalin XR. I have been on it for 8 years and have nothing but great things to say about it. I feel focused and in control when on it. When I'm off it, time drags by and I can't seem to finish anything. I haven't experienced many side effects. Periodically have less of an appetite and occasionally clinch my teeth but other than that, all is well."

GabrielPCA (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2016

For ADHD "My son has been diagnosed by 2 psychiatrists with ADHD. His issue started when he was 4. I thought he would out grow it, but it hasn't happened. He's 7 now. I've tried everything and going to start Focalin XR next week. I'm terrified!! mostly of all the side effects. I'm also afraid it's not going to work..am I doing the right thing..."

Terrified mom April 21, 2016

For ADHD "My son started haveing behavior problems in pre school. We had some teachers put up with it while the next year another wouldn't. They'de go out of their way to displine him,cause face it their human and just didn't like him. He still got straight a's and b's. We decided hey he's just hyped he has good grades we re not gonna dope our kid up. We'll we moved he went to a new school where teachers didn't know him and they started letting him fall behind. In principles office everday. Then we found foclin it was night and day.They put him in special classe last three months of year. By the end of three months they had already decided he didn't need the classes and for three years now a lilltle babytalk no incidents or trips to office."

Focalin for president March 8, 2016

For ADHD "My son was diagnosed at 4 and has been through almost all the drugs for ADHD which would typically fail because of side effects ie zombie out or hypersensitivity and the simplest things would make him cry. He has been diagnosed by two of the biggest and best known hospitals for children (2 separate occassions) with the 0.001% extreme ADHD and let me tell you Focalin has been a God sent. He is 10 now, on Focalin xr 25mg, his grades are up, left and right compliments from teachers that usually had complaints, no reported behavioural issues yet. Only small downside is appetite suppression. Big healthy meal before the med, small high cal snacks after school and dinner, big healthy dinner and you're set. While on meds can't even tell he has ADHD!"

extremely happy mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 25, 2015

For ADHD "I never had ADD or problems focusing and staying motivated before I had chemotherapy for Ewing's Sarcoma at 16-17 years old. I'm now 24 and started being treated for those symptoms with Focalin XR earlier this year. It was night and day difference for me. I had energy, yes the first week I was shakey but that stops, I lost weight gained from conituning to eat like a weight lifting football player but had very little movement at all. I felt great, I can get things done now. Motivation is now just lacking from my lack of trying but when I get on something I blaze through it. Negative effects I have experienced are occasional moodiness, especially if I am focused on something and then get interrupted. Caffeine is a no no."

BrandonH6 December 10, 2015

For ADHD "We had no results on this medication. Granted we only took the 5mg but her emotions were so heightened she would start crying for no reason. The teachers didn't see a difference and her grades started going down. The side effects were to intense for her on 5mg, there was no way I going to go up and have it worse. We are now going to try Vyvanse 10mg. We will see if this change helps."

9yr old daughter (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2015

For ADHD "My Son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 4 years old he Is now 7 before finding Focalin his doctor started him on Ritalin he was only on it for 3 days because it made him zombified and depressive with many mood swings then he started Vyvanse for a few weeks but it gave him some kind of allergic reaction in his throat. Finally he was put on Focalin 10ml and for the last 3 years it has been doing him great. He does awesome in school and also at home he can focus and he is happy. The only bad part is he has absolutely no appetite from 10 min after he takes the pill- 6hrs later. He drinks cyproheptad syrup 2mg to help boost his appetite while on the Focalin."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 22, 2015

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive Type at age 20, in my junior year of college (about 2.5 years ago). I started on Focalin XR 10mg, and while it took me a to get used to how to work around the meds (I had to change from doing schoolwork late at night to early in the morning), but it has done nothing but help me. The only thing I found was that when I interned and now that I've been working for a year, it doesn't help me (I'm on the phone a lot and it makes me have some issues bouncing around a conversation - too focused on one thing). Cons: absolutely no appetite from about half an hour after taking it-, 6/7 hrs later, really stiff neck, crazy distracted/hungry/drained when it wears off"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 8, 2015