Focalin XR Dosage
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 13, 2023.
2.1 Pretreatment Screening
Prior to treating patients with Focalin XR, assess:
- for the presence of cardiac disease (i.e., perform a careful history, family history of sudden death or ventricular arrhythmia, and physical exam) [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2)].
- the family history and clinically evaluate patients for motor or verbal tics or Tourette’s syndrome before initiating Focalin XR [see Warnings and Precautions (5.10)].
2.2 Recommended Dosage
Patients New to Methylphenidate
The recommended starting dosage of Focalin XR for patients who are not currently taking dexmethylphenidate or racemic methylphenidate, or for patients who are on stimulants other than methylphenidate are:
- Pediatric patients: Start with 5 mg orally once daily in the morning with or without food.
- Adult patients: Start with 10 mg orally once daily in the morning with or without food.
Patients Currently on Methylphenidate
The recommended starting dose of Focalin XR for patients currently using methylphenidate is half (1/2) the total daily dose of racemic methylphenidate.
Patients currently using Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) immediate-release tablets may be given the same daily dose of Focalin XR.
The dose may be titrated weekly in increments of 5 mg in pediatric patients and 10 mg in adult patients. The dose should be individualized according to the needs and response of the patient. Daily doses above 30 mg in pediatrics and 40 mg in adults have not been studied and are not recommended.
2.3 Administration Instructions
Focalin XR is administered orally and may be taken whole or the capsule may be opened and the entire contents sprinkled onto applesauce. If the patient is using the sprinkled administration method, the sprinkled applesauce should be consumed immediately; it should not be stored. Patients should take the applesauce with sprinkled beads in its entirety without chewing. The dose of a single capsule should not be divided. The contents of the entire capsule should be taken, and patients should not take anything less than one capsule per day.
Frequently asked questions
More about Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (116)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Patient tips
- During pregnancy
- Generic availability
- Support group
- FDA approval history
- Drug class: CNS stimulants
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.