User Reviews for Focalin XR to treat ADHD

Focalin XR has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 85 ratings for the treatment of ADHD. 68% of those users who reviewed Focalin XR reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Focalin XR Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

24% 20
6% 5
8% 7

Reviews for Focalin XR

Abby · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2021

“When I first started, it was great except that it made me less hungry. Very soon however I started to get angry on it, I would shake, I would binge on weekends after not eating all week, and I became depressed. I started it in third grade and finally got off it in eighth grade. Now I take Intuniv (2mg), Lexapro (15mg), Adderall XR (10mg), and Adderall (5mg). Obviously I take a lot more medication but I am stable and a mixture of these medications works best for me. The only side effects from the Adderal XR and Adderall are slight appetite decrease and some tremors and ticking but the Intuniv helps a little and I just make sure to eat before my second dose of Adderall.”

JD · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 13, 2021

“I've been taking Focalin for about two years and I have this thing happen where I'm super calm and feel super clear and super focused for an hour and then after that hour I just have a lot of anxiety and can't think as clearly. Anyone else have that issue”

AJ August 2, 2020

“My 7 year old was on 5 mg of focalin xr for 2 months. A lot of his quirky behavior went away but not all. He was up until 10 or 11pm every night and told us he had too much energy. Per the advice of the doctor we took a 4 day break and he went to bed at 9:30 all nights. We are day one of 10mg hoping that more of his quirky behavior goes away. It’s now 11:30pm and he’s wide awake. My son is perky and his same silly self - I can’t identify with other reviews that said it makes kids zombie-like. I did not have that experience at all. Hoping things get better soon though. Also, it has not affected appetite either. He eats well thank God.”

Human May 5, 2020

“Took a break then started again and on day 3 I was nausea tired”

CollegeGirl February 26, 2020

“I am 19 year old female in college, and an athlete with extreme ADHD. I usually take Adderall Xr 20-30mg and it has helped me so much in college, I used to drink 6 cups of coffee a day just so I could focus enough to remember where I left my keys and sit down to take a test, but now adderall does that for me. FOCALIN however, was possibly the worst experience of my life. Focalin took every bit of anxiety and sadness and threw me into several panic attacks. I am a very happy and energetic person, I have never experienced depression or anxiety like this. I didn’t sleep all night and I spent most of the night sobbing uncontrollably. My heart was beating out of my chest and I couldn’t think about anything but how sad and stressful everything was. I suggest to NEVER take this medication, the side effects FAR outweighed the purpose of the medication. I never felt focused or honed in.”

MT · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 17, 2020

“I've tried almost every single ADHD pill from Adderall to Daytrana to Ritalin to Vyanese to Concerta...Focalin is BY FAR the best for me. I am on the 10mg dose. Was originally on 30mg but my heart was beating way too fast on it. The other meds made me very angry, but this keeps me at bay, yet focused. Only con I have with this is about an hour after I take it, I have a bowel movement. I'm also the same way with coffee. I don't take it everyday and on the days where I don't I can definitely tell, but I don't have cravings.”

Frankl · Taken for 10 years or more January 11, 2020

“I was on focalin XR when I was age 5 I think it is a good medication learning wise, but at the same time it drains you it takes your happiness and joy away it’s like you are completely numb to joy, when I’m off of it I can’t focus but I am always so joyous and happy, when I’m on it I focus perfectly but I am very zombied out and it is a horrible feeling”

ashton · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2020

“Today was my first day on Focalin. I took 10 milligrams and it did absolutely nothing. I feel zero difference. The only difference I feel is the fact that I have a headache and sore throat.”

Better life · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 15, 2019

“Our son was diagnosed with ADHD and Focalin XR has changed his life for the better. He is able to focus at school now and he's performance, grades and happiness have all evolved. It was with heavy hearts we finally relinquished using meds because of the fear of what it might do long term and seeing zombied-out kids who no longer have personalities. Focalin didn't do this at all. Our son is still very much himself but without the stress of struggling so hard to focus. It has changed our lives. Teachers, coaches and family have all noticed wonderful outcome.”

Ev · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 16, 2019

“I’ve had ADHD for a very long time and didn’t start taking Focalin until (11th grade) I tried other stimulants in middle school but gave up because disliked the way they made me feel. Focalin does its job. It helps me focus and get work done, however, I do get shaky and anxious while on the drug. My appetite is also effected. You just have to decide if the side-effects are worth the outcome.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 29, 2019

“I've taken it on and off since I was in highschool (I'm 26 now). Generally 5-10mg has worked best for me. It helps me a lot when there are tasks I need extra focus on, and a lower dose can help in social situations. I found it to be helpful for school, and more recently at work. The worst side affect for me is a loss of appetite. I find that I have to totally guess how hungry I am and force it down so I don't get brain fog. It relieves anxiety in that I can finally do what I need to, but it raises anxiety in general. I try to take it as little as possible, and haven't experienced any issues taking it sporadically. Just keep the dose low.”

Wouldn’t you like to know · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

“The first day I took Focalin XR, it worked fantastic and I had so much energy and confidence was really feeling like myself again. 2nd day of taking it, it was ok wasn’t as good as the first day. Then the third day I felt no difference at all. Made me feel probably worse than when I was off of it. Was extremely exhausted had no effects at all. So I called my doc and he told me to start taking 2 (20mg each) and it did ok I felt the energy but literally no focus at all. Wouldn’t recommend this to anyone may work ok for some but it’s a good chance it won’t.”

AQ August 15, 2019

“Focalin does the trick in getting you less scatter-brained and it helps with focus, but be sure you are only ADHD and aren't also autistic and/or have motor tics/nervous tics because it is an amphetamine stimulant drug. There it might make you more fidgety if you fidget or have nervous tics out of anxiety and over-stimulation. I'm on the spectrum and this drug makes my repetitive motor movements worse.”

Max · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2019

“Long story short I was previously on Vyvanse 40mg a day, and I decided I wanted to try Focalin XR. Before that I was on Concerta and absolutely hated it, when I was a kid I apparently did very well on it, but not anymore. So I decided to give Focalin XR a try, and it works very well! The only 2 issues I have is the questionable quality of the release beads among certain generic manufacturer, and the severity of the crash.”

Mo · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 22, 2019

“I’ve never commented on a drug before, but I feel compelled to here due the number of negative reviews. Focalin has completely given me a life... I went from not being able to function to a person who is optimistic, looks forward to taking on the day, carries out tasks to completion and enjoys doing so. It has given me the ability to be a much better man, husband and father. Will it do the same for you? Maybe... maybe not. But if it does, the result is priceless.”

Johnsmith2359 July 13, 2019

“Whenever I take this medication I feel bored of everything. I will just sit and do nothing instead of doing things I normally enjoy. I am not hungry and become unsociable. Sometimes get shaky. Grades seemed to improve slightly. Not worth it at all.”

Mom · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 7, 2019

“My daughter with ADHD been taking Focalin XR 30mg and she has less attitude. Her teachers say it helps her control her self. Without it she has an attitude to her sister she is good when she is on it but when it but when it wears off her attitude is back and she’s hyper. Her grades are better though.”

Lindsey June 10, 2019

“My 14 yr old son took Focalin for 2 yrs. He ended his own life while on this med. We were never told that suicidal ideation is a possible side effect. It is now recently listed as a side effect. I would have never given this to my child had I known. Children can not always express themselves and don’t connect dark feelings with a medication they are taking. Please be aware with children on these types of drugs! Heartbroken mom”

Hi May 19, 2019

“My son with ADHD used to run around and be so loud and excited but now on the Fovalin XR he is calm quite and it feels like he is not here. He is in his room looking at the wall at the store he just sits in his seat silent and on the week end he lets me watch news and sleeps almost all the time and he is a total different person without it when I watch my TV he stares and don't care and he is horror without it”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2019

“Our son is able to concentrate on his school work and is not constantly being redirected now that he is on Focalin for his ADHD. He feels better about himself.”

Jane Doe · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2019

“I was prescribed this as my first treatment for ADHD when I was (finally) diagnosed at age 18. It helped me calm down a little, I could go to work and not feel the urgent need to go home. But then I would start crying at work, in public. I would cry to my parents until they couldn’t handle me anymore. The comedown from when it wears off was HORRIBLE for me. I have GAD, but the anxiety I experienced was nothing like that. It was acute fear and dread that came rushing in for the next 4-6 hours after the meds wore off. Also I should mention I lost feeling in my hands and feet. I tried taking it for about a month but it wasn’t worth it. Four years later I still haven’t found something that works.”

17 year old · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2019

“I see a lot of negative reviews, however Focalin XR is doing very well for me and my ADHD! I have been taking medications since I was in the first grade, and I can definitely tell the difference when I’m on this medication. I think my dose still needs to be messed with a little, but I feel a lot better. The only problem is that I’m losing a little bit of weight. Not a bad thing, but something to keep an eye on.”

Rather Not Say · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 16, 2019

“I took this medicine it made me have suicidal thoughts. It is awful. It made me irritable and I could not get sleep. This medicine tore up my stomach every time I eat I would throw-up. I just got tired of this medication. I wouldn't take this medication.”

CJ · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 4, 2019

“These other comments are crazy and not relative to this drug vs others. I have taken almost every type of ADD med and this is the best by far. Methylphenidate has left and right branch isomers. The right branch helps with ADD and the left branch causes stimulant jittery side effects. Focalin/dexmethylphenidate is just the right branch. Once you get your dosing right (I take 25mg XR in morning and 10mg IR in afternoon) then it is the best. It is like a cure for ADD as opposed to taking a stimulant. By far the lightest side effects. It is less hard on the cardiovascular system than regular methylphenidate, and does not create neurotoxins like many of the amphetamine family drugs i.e. Adderall. As long as you make yourself eat on it, then it is not noticeable.”

Real deal · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 8, 2018

“My wife and I adopted. At the the time of birth doctors told us he was born addicted to crack cocaine also might not learn or express himself in a standard way. Our son is now 8yrs old in third grade omega prodigy program. He started taking Focalin and guanfacine at 6yrs old helped tremendously. 2 months to start working over summer. It's not a miracle drug it just helps keep him focused. I have not seen any side affects and no we are not rich or private school boot camp people. We just have him read 45min a day and let him be a kid. Good luck”