User Reviews for Focalin XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Focalin XR.

Focalin XR Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Focalin XR to treat ADHD

"Ok I have been reading up on the side affects and reviews of this medication my 6 year old had tried 2 or 3 other ADHD medications from a clinic he stayed in for about a month he is on XR 20mg and it to me has honestly done wonders my son is able to focus, learn, sit still and get his school work done. He is so much happier that he is learning and can focus on one subject at a time rather than racing through his brain. I like it and only concerns is he can hold better conversations but his answers to question are very short "How was your day?" "Good...".You have to ask him more questions to get more answers. Then you have to repeat or either give him one instruction at a time for him to complete. I'm concerned about the long term side affects"

MomOf3_V September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried every ADHD drug medication available, both brand and generic (Ritalin XR, Ritalin IR, Adderall XR and IR, generic mixed amphetamine salts, Daytrana, Vyvanse, Strattera, some I can't even remember, if it exists, I've almost certainly tried it. ) Focalin XR is the only one that works. Naturally, that also means that insurance companies don't want to cover it. If you're trying to get it covered and they're dragging their feet, don't give up! You have to jump through a lot of hoops and you have to fight every step of the way. Get your doctor to help you and talk to them. Do NOT give up. Insurance companies love to make it as difficult as possible for people to get effective meds. Don't let them do it."

TheRealAnise (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2017

"Works Well"

AmandaLAllen17 February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi! I am 18 years old . I was diagnosed with ADHD just a couple months after starting kindergarten. I was having trouble paying attention, got in trouble everyday; seeing the principal was 2-3 times every 2 weeks was normal. I started taking focalin at 5. My grades improved, my conduct improved, and I could focus. I took it every weekday I was in school. It killed my appetite, I became dehydrated a lot and I didn't get all the nutrients I needed to Grow properly ( 16, 124lbs). I stopped taking in 7th grade at my discretion and my grades dropped instantly, my conduct went back. 11th- I started back and instantly my grades improved. Only drawback is I have to force myself to eat."

Anonymous112 December 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son takes Focalin XR for his adhd. I like the medicine but my only complaint is a side effect that is not listed anywhere when I research Focalin. The side effect my son experiences is digging in the ear or the sensation of something in his ear that he needs to get out. The higher the dosage the worse the digging is. I have talked to the doctors, had his ears checked and put on allergey medicines, he still digs in his ears. He does really well with the medicine in school and activities out side of school. I have not seen any other side effect for this medication."

Neary December 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son has been on this for 8 years and it is a huge help. Takes 1st thing in morning and lasts all day. No problem eating dinner and has kept a healthy weight. With the coupon we pay zero out of pocket...."

John's mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have an 8 year old with ADHD, ODD & anxiety and a 7 year old with ADHD. We tried everything before going to meds - healthy diet (no sugar/dyes), exercise, consistent schedule. Both boys have taken Focalin XR for a year (started with low dosages and increased as they grew) and it's been life changing! The meds have drastically improved their grades, behaviors and relationships. Both boys take a small dose of Focalin with lunch to get through the afternoon and a small dose of Clonidine in the evening to slow things down for bedtime. Focalin XR has been our saving grace - now instead of CONSTANT redirection, we can actually go do things and have fun. The only side effects are suppressed appetite, but they are both a healthy weight."

mom of 3 sweet souls (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking 20mg of Focalin XR for the past 2 years and have experienced great improvement in mental function and all around health. Focalin has allowed me to focus and be aware of a situation. I have been more efficient at work, more aware of my health and wellbeing, and able to process situations more appropriately. My biggest complaint has been with sleep patterns. Some nights I can sleep 6 hours or I can sleep for 14 and I CAN NOT fall asleep right away. My FitBit has mixed reports, but they are questionable. This is something I have tried to "tweak" with my doctor, but we have not had any success. My second complaint is nausea, but that we have been able to tweak with food consumption and timing."

Ameliabidelia (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst 10 year experience of my life! It gave me bi-polar disorder OCD and even worse ADHD!! It made me get very very very bad anxiety and it felt like I was gonna have a heart explode!"

Unknown Unknown July 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's amazing but don't take 5 or 6 or 7 you will feel sick and stay up and not eat for a day or 2 but if you want a fun focus high go small like 2 or 3 then work your way up if you want to buy its not fun with a lot you start hearing thing and seeing things and you get scared easy but fun at the end did my college homework project and easays and other things I had to do for college got all done in that 24 hour period still up and feel hyper and awake but I know I'm going to crash very soon but the drug does it job 100% for me when I do 1 10mg or 2 10mg I do 2 for test the next day soo I know I'm up and ready for it"

Drake235 June 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 5. My parents stopped medication a few years later. I was re-evaluated at as 25 and given Focalin XR. I have been on it for 8 years and have nothing but great things to say about it. I feel focused and in control when on it. When I'm off it, time drags by and I can't seem to finish anything. I haven't experienced many side effects. Periodically have less of an appetite and occasionally clinch my teeth but other than that, all is well."

GabrielPCA (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son has been diagnosed by 2 psychiatrists with ADHD. His issue started when he was 4. I thought he would out grow it, but it hasn't happened. He's 7 now. I've tried everything and going to start Focalin XR next week. I'm terrified!! mostly of all the side effects. I'm also afraid it's not going to work..am I doing the right thing..."

Terrified mom April 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son started haveing behavior problems in pre school. We had some teachers put up with it while the next year another wouldn't. They'de go out of their way to displine him,cause face it their human and just didn't like him. He still got straight a's and b's. We decided hey he's just hyped he has good grades we re not gonna dope our kid up. We'll we moved he went to a new school where teachers didn't know him and they started letting him fall behind. In principles office everday. Then we found foclin it was night and day.They put him in special classe last three months of year. By the end of three months they had already decided he didn't need the classes and for three years now a lilltle babytalk no incidents or trips to office."

Focalin for president March 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son was diagnosed at 4 and has been through almost all the drugs for ADHD which would typically fail because of side effects ie zombie out or hypersensitivity and the simplest things would make him cry. He has been diagnosed by two of the biggest and best known hospitals for children (2 separate occassions) with the 0.001% extreme ADHD and let me tell you Focalin has been a God sent. He is 10 now, on Focalin xr 25mg, his grades are up, left and right compliments from teachers that usually had complaints, no reported behavioural issues yet. Only small downside is appetite suppression. Big healthy meal before the med, small high cal snacks after school and dinner, big healthy dinner and you're set. While on meds can't even tell he has ADHD!"

extremely happy mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never had ADD or problems focusing and staying motivated before I had chemotherapy for Ewing's Sarcoma at 16-17 years old. I'm now 24 and started being treated for those symptoms with Focalin XR earlier this year. It was night and day difference for me. I had energy, yes the first week I was shakey but that stops, I lost weight gained from conituning to eat like a weight lifting football player but had very little movement at all. I felt great, I can get things done now. Motivation is now just lacking from my lack of trying but when I get on something I blaze through it. Negative effects I have experienced are occasional moodiness, especially if I am focused on something and then get interrupted. Caffeine is a no no."

BrandonH6 December 10, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"We had no results on this medication. Granted we only took the 5mg but her emotions were so heightened she would start crying for no reason. The teachers didn't see a difference and her grades started going down. The side effects were to intense for her on 5mg, there was no way I going to go up and have it worse. We are now going to try Vyvanse 10mg. We will see if this change helps."

9yr old daughter (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 4 years old he Is now 7 before finding Focalin his doctor started him on Ritalin he was only on it for 3 days because it made him zombified and depressive with many mood swings then he started Vyvanse for a few weeks but it gave him some kind of allergic reaction in his throat. Finally he was put on Focalin 10ml and for the last 3 years it has been doing him great. He does awesome in school and also at home he can focus and he is happy. The only bad part is he has absolutely no appetite from 10 min after he takes the pill- 6hrs later. He drinks cyproheptad syrup 2mg to help boost his appetite while on the Focalin."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 22, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive Type at age 20, in my junior year of college (about 2.5 years ago). I started on Focalin XR 10mg, and while it took me a to get used to how to work around the meds (I had to change from doing schoolwork late at night to early in the morning), but it has done nothing but help me. The only thing I found was that when I interned and now that I've been working for a year, it doesn't help me (I'm on the phone a lot and it makes me have some issues bouncing around a conversation - too focused on one thing). Cons: absolutely no appetite from about half an hour after taking it-, 6/7 hrs later, really stiff neck, crazy distracted/hungry/drained when it wears off"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son was diagnosed with ADHD about 6 months ago,he is 7 years old, this medicine Works great. He's not zombified. Helps him to really focus and helps with school. Only side effect I noticed is he doesn't have a appetite and it wears off about 4pm and he eats like crazy then. No mood swings. Very satisfied with this medication."

Mac daddy25 August 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with ADHD when i was about 5 and my experience over all has been amazing ive been on it for 12 years now i take 40mg once in the morning and in the afternoon and by like 6pm it wears off(btw im 6 feet tall and weigh 225 lb thanks to this medication). The only bad parts or symptoms im having are that Caffeine has no effect on me anymore( probably built up a tolerance thanks to the focalin) , I dont always sleep to well, and ever since i tuned like 14 my appetite went from non-existent to out of control (dont know why...) im 17 now and am an A- Student where as i was an F student before, I definitely recommend this but i should warn you all its not for everyone there are alternatives."

Blastman123 (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My daughter was 6 when she started it and her school work has improved dramatically. The only side effect is that she is not hungry, and we have to force her to eat. At 5:30pm when it wears off, she is hungry and distracted."

Anonymous July 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son was diagnosed at six years old. (ADHD). He's been on Focalin EX 30 mg for four years. Works amazing he's able to concentrate and focus in school."

Son name Shawn. May 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 17 now. Been taking the medicine for maybe 3-4 years now. Honestly, it's fantastic in what it does. Better concentration, less impulsive, able to actually sit down and work, more control over my mood/emotions and its worth repeating Less Impulsive. But please know that because of this I also weigh 129lbs. I'm 6 feet tall. This completly kills my appetite. I've gone full 24 days without any real meal and hate it. I hate feeling my stomach in pain and feeling weak because I have nothing to fuel me but still my mouth stays dry and eating food becomes so non-instinctive that I have to force myself to go through the motions of chewing and swallowing. When off it, appetite is fine. Great medicine, please be aware of the effects possible."

Joshua_ April 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm an adult who has taken this off and on for 4 years. I've always had trouble concentrating and Focalin is an effective fix. I do think there are minor side-effects though. It makes me feel much more focused and less worried/panicked about what I need to do. Unlike other though I would not say it calms me down I feel like it actually stresses me out more. When I take this I'm more serious and easily annoyed and I can't relax. I have also found that my appetite drops off and that I don't sleep very deeply. Overall a great medicine but for me and many ADHD people our symptoms are brought out due to simply a lack of strenuous physical exercise (1hr) every day. When on a regular exercise and sleep schedule I do not need it."

math-man December 6, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was properly diagnosed with ADHD after knowing all my life, I'm special. And different from the rest of my coworkers and people I meet and met. I recently lost my job due to a "rightful" blowup at the my Boss's deputy, which led to all the way to a final write up. Two month later, it was discovered that I wasn't doing the daily logs, that everyone can do, but I couldn't do it easily. This behavior led to a Doctor and conclusion, I have ADHD. At first I was on Vyvanse 20 then 40, this left me speedy and jittery, almost unable to cope in public. So I changed to Concerta XR 36. Mild and cool enough, but I don't see the difference with my ADHD. So I moved to Focalin XR 25. It's been an hour since my taking it at 3pm. I feel it."

Down-the-line~ (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2014