User Reviews for Amphetamine / dextroamphetamine

Also known as: Adderall, Adderall XR

Learn more about Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine.

Narcolepsy 47 reviews 15 medications

8.9
Fatigue 26 reviews 0 medications

8.5
ADHD 420 reviews 36 medications

8.3
Summary of Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine reviews 493 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for : "When I first began taking it, it was very intense-my heart raced, I had too much energy. For a while it was great-the racing heart and too much energy wore off after about a week. It did become less useful over time, but not to a great extent. The trouble with Adderall for me, was taking two a day at the "right" times. It was really the second pill, figuring out the right time to take it, in a way so it would help me the rest of the day, but not so late it would disturb my sleep. Since I had/have a poor sleep schedule, that was challenging."

Owlem (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "I started taking Adderall when I was 26 y/o and it was AMAZING for about 2 years. My dose started out at 30mg/day in the beginning and after 2 years was up to 60mg/day (30 mg IR twice daily). I started getting increasingly paranoid, losing, what seemed like, more and more sleep with each passing month. I kept thinking that I was seeing red and blue lights on my walls at night, which made me think the cops were after me outside. Even though I didn't do anything that would require police assistance. Until one day when I lost my mind, literally. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and put on a 72 hour psychiatric hold for which I ended up staying at the hospital almost 2 week. Diagnosed with amphetamine induced schizoaffective disorder!!!"

ADDERALL WILL MAKE YOU INSANE (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "Just recently discovered I have inattentive type ADD at age 32. I first tried 10mg Vyvanse, it worked very good for 8hrs. I really needed to bump up to 30mg to hit the expected DoE (duration of effectiveness) of 12hrs. Unfortunately, Vyvanse raised my blood pressure to 140's at times, so that was a no go. Next, concerta 18mg, made me drowsy like benadryl. Now I am on this ampheta/dextro 10mg tab. My first day I took 10mg in the morning and 10mg at lunch, I felt overly stimulated. My thinking did not improve, I had minor tics (I kept licking my lips and flexing my eyebrows/forehead, lol). Tomorrow I will try 5mg and see how that goes. !"

Athus (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "Prescribed for ADD and excessive daytime sleepiness. Very good at helping me focus when I need it. It also works TOO well for my fatigue, I went from feeling like a narcoleptic to having insomnia. I had to cut back on my prescribed dose because it was too much. I take only 5mg when I need it. Even though this medication will wake you up, you absolutely must manage your time and get some quality sleep, because most side effects come from lack of sleep. Be careful with this as it can be habit forming and addictive. The key is to eat well and sleep well when on this medication."

snuggless (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fatigue: "I have struggled with Bulimia for 12 yrs, tried many different meds and nothing worked. Most of the antidepressants just made it worse. I decided to take matters into my own hands and did some research. I discovered that some Dr.'s had prescribed Adderall and had success. It took me months of pleading with my Dr and showing him info before he finally agreed to let me try Adderall. He prescribed me a low dose of 10mg and changed my life forever!!! I had completely forgotten what it was like to lead a normal life! 10 months later I am still B/P free and loving myself again! Soon I'll switch to 5mg as I feel I've been able to reset my eating habits! Adderall saved my life!!!!"

Sunlover2017 February 5, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "For symptoms of ADHD (impulsivity, inability to sit still/restlessness, and inability to focus on a task at hand), I give this medication a 10/10. That said, I have Tourette Syndrome, and would caution ANYONE with Tourette Syndrome to stay away from stimulant medications, because they seem to exacerbate existing tics quite aggressively (I have tried 10-40 mg methylphenidate [RITALIN] and 20mg ADDERALL XR). I gave it a 10 based on it's effectiveness for ADHD, but factoring in the aggravation this medicine causes to tics, I would give a 5/10. I have a "good" United Health Care plan, and they would ONLY cover the brand name; even with insurance, the co-pay for a 30-day supply was $35.00."

R.W. (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for Narcolepsy: "I was diagnosed with narcolepsy wth cataplexy about two years ago. I was always the friend in the group that was falling asleep in the car, movies, and middle of class. I actually got voted "most likely to be sleeping in class" for my senior year. Even though it was funny for others, it's not for me. It's so hard to live a normal life when your constantly tired and all you want to do is sleep. I took nuvigil for the first year and half. It was working fine but I grew a tolerance for it with adverse effects. I started adderall 1/2 a year ago and it's the best thing ever. I've never felt so normal before in my life. I take 10mg XR when I wake up along with 10 mg regular release tab. And 10mg later on in the day. Best choice ever by my doctor!!"

Taylorr February 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fatigue: "These stimulants are very useful for depression in my case. I feel motivated to tackle life with all of the strength I can fearlessly muster....that is until the effect diminish after only 5 hours. XR = 8-12 hours? No way. Even cutting back on acidic foods which supposedly inhibit the absorption of the drug, and eating tons of vegetables and protein while staying completely hydrated doesn't extend the effectiveness of the drug. So typically right after lunch time, I feel like curling up into a ball in a dark corner and crying about how much of a failure I am. Yeah, really useful when most of my work takes place in the PM. Even just taking another pill right before the comedown doesn't help. Well, the right drug will reveal itself in time."

Lmander (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "I stopped taking this medication 6 years ago because I built up a tolerance to it. But, it seriously was the best thing to ever happen to me. I've always had untreated ADHD and when I finally received treatment, I flourished. Now, after 6 years I am giving it a try again. So far it's working great. The two things I don't like about Adderall is that I talk WAY too much, share WAY too much information. In fact, I call up family members and talk to them to death.I had to write myself a note and tape it to the phone to not call or text anyone! And the second thing is the comedown, by the time the medication wears off, I am drained!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 22, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "This drug works great at first until you need more and more to focus. Stay away from this med if you don't truly have ADHD or you have hypertension."

Txcb2004 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 21, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "While not perfect, this drug helped me achieve around an 80% improvement in my focus, attention, and ability to see tasks through to the end. I take 20mg IR in the morning and 20mg early in the afternoon. I was never diagnosed with A.D.D when I was a kid likely because I barely went to see doctors as a child. I used illicit drugs my whole life until it caused me to almost kill myself. After being clean for a year, I noticed my problems persisted with attention, focus, and finishing tasks. After seeing a Psychiatrist and getting a proper test/diagnosis, I'm grateful. It's helped a lot."

WOW. Major Improvement! (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "This has helped me a lot, but I have a couple tips. There are different brands that people will react differently to (I thought they would all act the same but no). I had a bad reaction with the first generic brand I tried, tried a different generic brand, and had a better experience. So look into that because not everyone believes that there's such a difference between different brands but to me there was. Second, I'm overweight and thought "decreased appetite? good!" but I would advise to still make sure you're eating frequently enough. Food has such an impact on brain functioning so not eating for 6 hours because you didn't feel like it is a bad habit to start! Once I got those slight issues settled, this drug really helped.Just be smart"

Sprite93817 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "Has helped me focus and I have motivation to do work . But the crash sucks , unless you have Valium or xanax"

Richieminaj January 15, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "I never thought I could have done better than how I was before. I am doing better at sports, behavior wise, and paying attention in class."

Ny12314 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "Having ADD has been a bumpy ride for me, especially when it comes to finding the correct medication. As a Mechanical Engineering major, my work load is very heavy and being able to focus is essential and Adderall Xr certainly gives me the ability to do so. I've been taking 30mg xr for about 2-3 years. Prior to adderall I took Vyvanse and Concerts which did not work as well for me as adderall. It also took me a while to work adderall into my schedule as efficient as possible as I don't like taking it EVERYday. But I've got to say I found a happy medium that allows for the least amount of side effects and it is working absolute wonders for me."

Jhest603 January 13, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "My son is 13 years old and has have been on Adderall for about 6 years now and was recently switched from Adderall XR 15 mg to Adderall XR 20 mg. Today is his first on the 20 mg. So far he noticed a large difference in the effects. He said when he was on 15 mg XR for 2 years and he didn't even notice his attention span had dropped and his grades had also been, He said felt no effect whatsoever from 15 mg. The 20 mg has a noticably large increase in effectiveness . For the first time in months he feel back to normal and refreshed. He said never knew my body could grow a tolerance to a medication so quickly. I am curious if every dosage will get weak like the 15 mg. I don't want to keep elevating the strength for him as I'm worried it is bad for his health."

Elias O´Donnell (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "Please be aware of all side effects before taking this drug. Adderal is highly addictive and it is very likely that 1 taking this drug will continue to do so for a long period of time out of necessity. Its best to slowly decrease the intake of the drug so the withdrawal symptoms are not 2 intense. Taking more than prescribed can lead 2 severe & even life threatening situations. Hallucinations, hearing voices, severe insomnia, & personality changes are inevitable if abused. With that being said, this is a highly effective yet short term solution bc of the dependency factor. At times the side effects may be so severe that the person taking the drug doesn't even notice bc they are so happy and focused on everything else.Notice Excessive Movement?"

Lawstudent1738-be cautious! (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 4, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "While Adderall definitely helped my ADD symptoms, the comedown was absolutely horrible. I was on 30mg per day (20mg IR in morning, 10mg IR 5hrs later). It made me finally able to focus, and stay organized for the 5 months I took it. However, as soon as it started wearing off, I turned into a real big jerk, and I even lost some friends because of it. I eventually discontinued it after having a mental breakdown, and due to several of my closest friends and family approaching me about how I was acting. I ended up switching to Concerta and currently take 36mg per day. I find that it works 10 times better than Adderall did for me. Long story short, Adderall, while definitely very effective at treating my symptoms, wasn't the right fit for me."

average_16y/o_guy December 30, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "Helped my life entirely. I'm a more productive and clinical learner now. Didn't realize how bad I wasn't able to stay focused until I took this and noticed the difference. Sleep and eat fine on it. After the first week that is. But the lack of appetite restlessness wasn't even that bad even then."

Billybandman December 28, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "I have had ADHD since I was diagnosed in 2003 over 15 years of trying every medication for ADHD I have found a fit for myself and talked to many others that have tried different treatments I used to take 35xr with 10mg boosters now I take 3 10mg IR a day one when I wake up one at lunch and one before or around 4-5 pm the xr actually caused me to be irritable and didn't cause much change in my normal non medicated habits, unlike vyvance would. This works great for ADHD if you have a doctor or psychiatrist that is willing to figure out what dosage works for you. Eat before you take each dose."

Troberts2332 (taken for 10 years or more) December 17, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "I began talking Adderall about 3 months ago, I was scared to say the least. Many people I talked to advised against taken the ADD meds, instead suggesting naturopathic (?) meds. I wouldn't know where to start! I have suffered from depression since I can remember, started taking meds for that in my early 20s. Looking back at my life as a child into my teens and adult years, there was no doubt in my mind that I also had ADHD. Now 20 years later, I realized it was time to do something about it. Dr started me off at 5mg, then 10mg, up to 20mg now. It's amazing how this stuff works, I can ACTUALLY concentrate AND complete something!! The only complaint I have is that I am a little (more) spacey, could be because I'm a mother of 3 though!!! "

3lovelies December 8, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "Do not take Adderall if high blood pressure runs in your family. Be especially careful not to take it if you have high blood pressure already. I had normal blood pressure until I started taking Adderall. Ever since, my blood pressure has been at least 130/80, and I have measured it at 162/88 while on the drug. I am a 20 year old male, and my dad has hypertension, which is where this incredible susceptibility comes from. I stopped taking it but I still have high readings, which only started when I began taking Adderall. Do yourself a big favor and harangue your doctors about Adderall if you or your family has a history of high blood pressure. You don't want to end up on BP meds."

Sam 123 December 8, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "Diagnosed with ADD, ever since I started taking the 5mg Dextroamphetamine tablets, it has changed my life.I can focus, I have a clear mind, and have more mental motivation, unlike how I was just over 6 months ago when I was on Strattera which gave me testicle pain. But it wasn't right for me. I've heard about friends taking Dextroamphetamine and having negative side affects which I have not experienced at all. I guess its all to do with how your body processes different medications. It may not be right for them. But there are other medications which could help those who are unable to take it."

DiagnosedADDAt24 December 7, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "I was just prescribed Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine r 351 20 mg for ADD, the first day I took it at 11 am yesterday I felt extremely tense and uncomfortable the exact opposite of what I thought it was going to be then at about 12 am I had a very bad headache couldn't go to sleep until 4 am woke up and took half and just felt out of it all day no energy no increased focus I was just wondering if anyone else is on the same drug ??? because all pictures of this drug online look orange and pink and blue which is kind of strange because I got it from a clinic not a regular doctors office . I don't even know if i want to take it tomorrow because of the negative side affects feeling kind of hopeless at this point hopefully someone has some info."

bobbbbb December 5, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fatigue: "I learned early in my college career that Adderall allowed me to be more productive during my day without the feeling of full blown crashing. I do not struggle with paying attention or ADD/ADHD but I did struggle with extreme laziness/fatigue on a regular basis when I reach college age. Prior to that I never had an issue with motivation or sleepy feeling per say but one day it hit me like a brick and was unable to shake it. Which led me to lying to my doctor about having attention issues to obtain a prescription. It also was some what of a antidepressant at the same time. I have never struggled with depression but I did always seem to see the brighter side of things while on the medication."

Nathan B. (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2016