User Reviews for Amphetamine / dextroamphetamine

Also known as: Adderall, Adderall XR, Mydayis

Learn more about Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine.

Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine to treat ADHD

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "This drug provides great concentration for a couple hours. However, after a couple hours I predictably experience extreme anxiety, depression, and irritability. It can easily cause you to get into an argument with someone you love because you are so easily irritated and frustrated by anything. The anxiety is the worst. Being a previous smoker, Adderall increases my craving to smoke by ten fold (a habit I have quit and hardly have cravings for anymore). I also find that the drug clouds my ability to think when doing brain intensive work such as programming, math, or even typing. I think that might be related to the dosage though. I don't recommend this medication to anyone (other than those with severe ADHD)."

aloomis85419 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2017

"Nothing"

Dicedicebaby (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I used to take Adderall. My current doctor told me that Adderall is actually amphetamine and that while amphetamine will work for ADHD, it damages dopamine cells by releasing the dopamine inside the cell. She also said that there is increasing evidence that amphetamines increase risk for parkinson's disease even when it is used as directed."

be careful (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "When I first started taking it, it helped me immensely with my ADHD. Pretty quickly, however, it stopped working. For one thing, it gives me crazy mood swings. It really amps me up at first, and I get super euphoric and happy for two hours, and then I feel awful and anxious and depressed. It actually potentiates my ADHD symptoms. It makes me extremely thirsty all the time, so I keep having to leave class to go use the bathroom or fill up my water bottle. Adderall makes it harder for me to appreciate the beauty of nature. I feel less in touch with my emotions when I take it. I understand that Adderall helps people a lot of the time, so it's worth a shot. But it didn't help me AT ALL. In fact, it probably made things worse."

Tobey L (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

"A good generic."

PhillyGuy0917 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For my Depression, ADHD, fatigue, PTSD Syndrome I take a combination of dextroamphetamine tablets and time release capsules, between 8am and noon. The caps helps alleviate that evening crash I used to get when the tablets wear off pretty quickly. Some days I may take 30mg & others up to 45mg. I choose depending on my needs for the day."

Stormy 69 year old female (taken for 10 years or more) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I take the extended release once a day. I recently got a dose increase for my extreme fatigue. It has been about 3 weeks and I do not like the symptoms that occur with it. I feel like a zombie, I don't enjoy talking when I am on my medicine, I get extremely bad frequent headaches, I am even more tired when it wears off but I am unable to sleep, I get really irritable and moody. With the lower dose the main problematic symptom I would have was the dry mouth, but that was manageable."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I have been diagnosed with ADD . I have always pushed myself to get good grades and to take as many AP and honors classes as I can handle. I enjoy learning about new things; however, my lack of focus got in the way of my learning. It bothers me when people say ADD/ADHD is made up. I know that people who don't have this disorder can't truly understand what it's like. Without adderall my mind is foggy and I can't take the fog away to learn about the things that I love. All my friends know that I have a strong passion for physics and astronomy, but it's very hard for me to pick up a book without forgetting most of what I read after I finished it. On adderall I feel like the fog fades always and my mind is like a clear sunny day. Oh how I wish that I didn't have to take this every day and just naturally be as focused. I am just an 18 year old who is trying to pursue her dreams, but without this medication I'm not sure how I can get through college to learn what I love. I can now look through my telescope at the stars without the clouds getting in the way."

Samanthaa98 May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on adderall for about 4 yrs total. I started on 20mg XR, which I thought lasted too long and I couldn't sleep at night. So I got switched to 20mg IR tablets for 3 yrs. My tolerance has grown since so I recently bumped up to 30mg IR tablets. As a person suffering from ADHD, adderall was a life saver. I was struggling in school, could not focus at work, my room/car was a total mess, I could barely hold a conversation. Since getting on adderall none of those things are an issue. It has helped me greatly in being able to function in everyday life. It's increased motivation significantly. My only complaint about it is the duration, IR is too short & XR is too long. Also tolerance develops quickly, I can easily handle about 40-50mg at once"

jakec926 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "Mine may be a somewhat rarer case of ADHD, that is very severe, and my response to amphetamines is almost perfectly paradoxical for the best known effects. I sleep better and longer with significant blood concentration (it's neutral for going to sleep, but keeps me asleep longer), have better appetite, cannot achieve euphoria or a "high" from amphetamines, only a mild feeling of extra energy. For me adderall is far less effective than single ingredient D-isomer formulations. Best guess is that the L-isomer is what ruins it for my condition or perhaps the more exotic salts. Vyvanse, Desoxyn, Dexedrine are much more effective and without side-effects for me. Didn't expect the difference, but adderall doesn't work well with my brain chem."

B. AdultADHD (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "Such an amazing contribution to the pharmaceutical world. So much better than its ugly step sisters, such as Ritalin and Vyvanse. Adderall steals the show every time. 30mg/day does the trick. Been on it for 12 years, I've taken personal breaks for tolerance. I've never had any type of "withdrawal" or "come downs" at the end of the day. This drug has the ability to put me to sleep when I take it, honestly; and that's because my dissociation (caused by my ADHD) causes my anxiety to skyrocket. But when I take my adderall, I am able to focus on reality, making my anxiety disappear for a few hours. Calms me down. Relief is a blessing."

amphetamint (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I am 51, and have been on Adderall for 15 years. I take 20mg twice a day. It helps me concentrate, and stay focused. I skip taking it for one day every week, this helps me see where the Adderall helps in my life, and was suggested by my doctor to help my body not build a tolerance to Adderall. At this time I personally don't believe Adderall is "addicting", when taken properly. While on vacation, I went a week without it, and never felt any withdrawal's​ from the Adderall. I keep my Adderall, and other med's in a metal lock box, that locks onto a shelf in my fridge, because people do abuse Adderall."

TiffieD (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I have been taking 2- 10mg IR tablets each day for about a month. I have noticed a significant difference at how well I perform at school since I've been on adderall. I have many honors and AP classes, which always have a big work load. Each day I had to struggle with my ADD and having to look over the material numerous times. I am now able to focus and have confidence in my classes. Usually I am the last person taking a test and now I am one of the first people done because I am finally able to focus. Negatives- as adderall wears off I feel anti-social, weak, agitated, and slightly depressed the positives definitely out weigh the negatives ADD is hard to deal with and finally being able to focus means so much to me"

Sammie2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This pill marked R351 amphetamines/dextroamphetamine doesn't have much effectiveness if any. I'm prescribed 2-20mg a day. This brand doesn't last very long maybe 1-2 hr per 1-20mg."

Gem524 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for almost 11 years I believe that the capsule time released at least for me work a lot better because of the longevity as well as impact. The instant release a great but for me I have a past history with drug abuse in the instant release seems to give a high effect for about an hour and then you come down as well as you don't feel the effects of the medication working properly. Again I can only speak for myself but the time released helps to keep me at an even keel and I stay level for the whole day through no highs and lows."

Hustlaa44 April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over two years ago, have been struggling with it for about 7. Recently went to a psychiatrist because my pain doctor and pcp suggested it because of me complaining about concentration and fatigue issues. I have only been on this a short time but so far it's been A LIFE SAVER. I was started on a low dose of course just 10mg once a day IR. I could easily take 3 of these a day. My pain doctor recently put me on the lowest dose of a butrans patch and it's made a huge difference but my energy was still gone and I still struggled (I only worked on average 20 hours a week because doing much more has been too hard and I have an easy job in an office ). This adderall may save my life I'd write more but it won't let me"

LaLaurie (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I recently was diagnosed with ADHD and was started on 20 mg. The first day I took it I felt great! I was energized and motivated. I did have trouble sleeping but that ended after the first week. I will warn you about the side effects because those hit me pretty hard. I had headaches daily, fast heart rate, dizziness, and blurry vision. That lasted about 2 weeks and eventually passed although I still had the fast heart rate. It decreased my appetite because I was no longer snacking and was getting full a lot faster. After about 3 weeks I noticed that the "good feeling" was gone and I felt a crash throughout the day like I had no energy. My doctor just prescribed me 30mg and I'm on day 3."

be careful of side effects (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I take one a day. It helps me concentrate, and also helps me feel ambitious and less depressed. But when it wears off in the evening, I start feeling sad and easily agitated. I can take up to 2 a day, but I usually only take one, because I don't want it to cause any heart problems."

Pickle8696 March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Adderall for 5 years in total now, and about a year and a half consistently through a prescription. My prescription, initially, was for 20 mg of Adderall IR twice a day, but after 3 months I had my dosage upped to 30 mg of Adderall IR twice a day. Ever since the first day I took a 20 mg Adderall XR, I knew I needed it to be productive and successful during my everyday life. Prior to being introduced to Adderall, I was kicked out of college for not maintaining a certain GPA, and knew that I needed to get my own prescription to finish college and get my degree. Luckily I did get my prescription, and graduated last year with my B.S, in Chemistry. Adderall has changed my life for the better and I couldn't be happier"

GNARCOTICS (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I started taking Adderall when I was 26 y/o and it was AMAZING for about 2 years. My dose started out at 30mg/day in the beginning and after 2 years was up to 60mg/day (30 mg IR twice daily). I started getting increasingly paranoid, losing, what seemed like, more and more sleep with each passing month. I kept thinking that I was seeing red and blue lights on my walls at night, which made me think the cops were after me outside. Even though I didn't do anything that would require police assistance. Until one day when I lost my mind, literally. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and put on a 72 hour psychiatric hold for which I ended up staying at the hospital almost 2 week. Diagnosed with amphetamine induced schizoaffective disorder!!!"

ADDERALL WILL MAKE YOU INSANE (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just recently discovered I have inattentive type ADD at age 32. I first tried 10mg Vyvanse, it worked very good for 8hrs. I really needed to bump up to 30mg to hit the expected DoE (duration of effectiveness) of 12hrs. Unfortunately, Vyvanse raised my blood pressure to 140's at times, so that was a no go. Next, concerta 18mg, made me drowsy like benadryl. Now I am on this ampheta/dextro 10mg tab. My first day I took 10mg in the morning and 10mg at lunch, I felt overly stimulated. My thinking did not improve, I had minor tics (I kept licking my lips and flexing my eyebrows/forehead, lol). Tomorrow I will try 5mg and see how that goes. !"

Athus (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed for ADD and excessive daytime sleepiness. Very good at helping me focus when I need it. It also works TOO well for my fatigue, I went from feeling like a narcoleptic to having insomnia. I had to cut back on my prescribed dose because it was too much. I take only 5mg when I need it. Even though this medication will wake you up, you absolutely must manage your time and get some quality sleep, because most side effects come from lack of sleep. Be careful with this as it can be habit forming and addictive. The key is to eat well and sleep well when on this medication."

snuggless (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "For symptoms of ADHD (impulsivity, inability to sit still/restlessness, and inability to focus on a task at hand), I give this medication a 10/10. That said, I have Tourette Syndrome, and would caution ANYONE with Tourette Syndrome to stay away from stimulant medications, because they seem to exacerbate existing tics quite aggressively (I have tried 10-40 mg methylphenidate [RITALIN] and 20mg ADDERALL XR). I gave it a 10 based on it's effectiveness for ADHD, but factoring in the aggravation this medicine causes to tics, I would give a 5/10. I have a "good" United Health Care plan, and they would ONLY cover the brand name; even with insurance, the co-pay for a 30-day supply was $35.00."

R.W. (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I stopped taking this medication 6 years ago because I built up a tolerance to it. But, it seriously was the best thing to ever happen to me. I've always had untreated ADHD and when I finally received treatment, I flourished. Now, after 6 years I am giving it a try again. So far it's working great. The two things I don't like about Adderall is that I talk WAY too much, share WAY too much information. In fact, I call up family members and talk to them to death.I had to write myself a note and tape it to the phone to not call or text anyone! And the second thing is the comedown, by the time the medication wears off, I am drained!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "This drug works great at first until you need more and more to focus. Stay away from this med if you don't truly have ADHD or you have hypertension."

Txcb2004 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 21, 2017