User Reviews for Amphetamine / dextroamphetamine

Also known as: Adderall, Adderall XR

Learn more about Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine.

Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine to treat ADHD

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I am 51, and have been on Adderall for 15 years. I take 20mg twice a day. It helps me concentrate, and stay focused. I skip taking it for one day every week, this helps me see where the Adderall helps in my life, and was suggested by my doctor to help my body not build a tolerance to Adderall. At this time I personally don't believe Adderall is "addicting", when taken properly. While on vacation, I went a week without it, and never felt any withdrawal's​ from the Adderall. I keep my Adderall, and other med's in a metal lock box, that locks onto a shelf in my fridge, because people do abuse Adderall."

TiffieD (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I have been taking 2- 10mg IR tablets each day for about a month. I have noticed a significant difference at how well I perform at school since I've been on adderall. I have many honors and AP classes, which always have a big work load. Each day I had to struggle with my ADD and having to look over the material numerous times. I am now able to focus and have confidence in my classes. Usually I am the last person taking a test and now I am one of the first people done because I am finally able to focus. Negatives- as adderall wears off I feel anti-social, weak, agitated, and slightly depressed the positives definitely out weigh the negatives ADD is hard to deal with and finally being able to focus means so much to me"

Sammie2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This pill marked R351 amphetamines/dextroamphetamine doesn't have much effectiveness if any. I'm prescribed 2-20mg a day. This brand doesn't last very long maybe 1-2 hr per 1-20mg."

Gem524 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this medication for almost 11 years I believe that the capsule time released at least for me work a lot better because of the longevity as well as impact. The instant release a great but for me I have a past history with drug abuse in the instant release seems to give a high effect for about an hour and then you come down as well as you don't feel the effects of the medication working properly. Again I can only speak for myself but the time released helps to keep me at an even keel and I stay level for the whole day through no highs and lows."

Hustlaa44 April 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over two years ago, have been struggling with it for about 7. Recently went to a psychiatrist because my pain doctor and pcp suggested it because of me complaining about concentration and fatigue issues. I have only been on this a short time but so far it's been A LIFE SAVER. I was started on a low dose of course just 10mg once a day IR. I could easily take 3 of these a day. My pain doctor recently put me on the lowest dose of a butrans patch and it's made a huge difference but my energy was still gone and I still struggled (I only worked on average 20 hours a week because doing much more has been too hard and I have an easy job in an office ). This adderall may save my life I'd write more but it won't let me"

LaLaurie (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I recently was diagnosed with ADHD and was started on 20 mg. The first day I took it I felt great! I was energized and motivated. I did have trouble sleeping but that ended after the first week. I will warn you about the side effects because those hit me pretty hard. I had headaches daily, fast heart rate, dizziness, and blurry vision. That lasted about 2 weeks and eventually passed although I still had the fast heart rate. It decreased my appetite because I was no longer snacking and was getting full a lot faster. After about 3 weeks I noticed that the "good feeling" was gone and I felt a crash throughout the day like I had no energy. My doctor just prescribed me 30mg and I'm on day 3."

be careful of side effects (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I take one a day. It helps me concentrate, and also helps me feel ambitious and less depressed. But when it wears off in the evening, I start feeling sad and easily agitated. I can take up to 2 a day, but I usually only take one, because I don't want it to cause any heart problems."

Pickle8696 March 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Adderall for 5 years in total now, and about a year and a half consistently through a prescription. My prescription, initially, was for 20 mg of Adderall IR twice a day, but after 3 months I had my dosage upped to 30 mg of Adderall IR twice a day. Ever since the first day I took a 20 mg Adderall XR, I knew I needed it to be productive and successful during my everyday life. Prior to being introduced to Adderall, I was kicked out of college for not maintaining a certain GPA, and knew that I needed to get my own prescription to finish college and get my degree. Luckily I did get my prescription, and graduated last year with my B.S, in Chemistry. Adderall has changed my life for the better and I couldn't be happier"

GNARCOTICS (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I started taking Adderall when I was 26 y/o and it was AMAZING for about 2 years. My dose started out at 30mg/day in the beginning and after 2 years was up to 60mg/day (30 mg IR twice daily). I started getting increasingly paranoid, losing, what seemed like, more and more sleep with each passing month. I kept thinking that I was seeing red and blue lights on my walls at night, which made me think the cops were after me outside. Even though I didn't do anything that would require police assistance. Until one day when I lost my mind, literally. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and put on a 72 hour psychiatric hold for which I ended up staying at the hospital almost 2 week. Diagnosed with amphetamine induced schizoaffective disorder!!!"

ADDERALL WILL MAKE YOU INSANE (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just recently discovered I have inattentive type ADD at age 32. I first tried 10mg Vyvanse, it worked very good for 8hrs. I really needed to bump up to 30mg to hit the expected DoE (duration of effectiveness) of 12hrs. Unfortunately, Vyvanse raised my blood pressure to 140's at times, so that was a no go. Next, concerta 18mg, made me drowsy like benadryl. Now I am on this ampheta/dextro 10mg tab. My first day I took 10mg in the morning and 10mg at lunch, I felt overly stimulated. My thinking did not improve, I had minor tics (I kept licking my lips and flexing my eyebrows/forehead, lol). Tomorrow I will try 5mg and see how that goes. !"

Athus (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prescribed for ADD and excessive daytime sleepiness. Very good at helping me focus when I need it. It also works TOO well for my fatigue, I went from feeling like a narcoleptic to having insomnia. I had to cut back on my prescribed dose because it was too much. I take only 5mg when I need it. Even though this medication will wake you up, you absolutely must manage your time and get some quality sleep, because most side effects come from lack of sleep. Be careful with this as it can be habit forming and addictive. The key is to eat well and sleep well when on this medication."

snuggless (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "For symptoms of ADHD (impulsivity, inability to sit still/restlessness, and inability to focus on a task at hand), I give this medication a 10/10. That said, I have Tourette Syndrome, and would caution ANYONE with Tourette Syndrome to stay away from stimulant medications, because they seem to exacerbate existing tics quite aggressively (I have tried 10-40 mg methylphenidate [RITALIN] and 20mg ADDERALL XR). I gave it a 10 based on it's effectiveness for ADHD, but factoring in the aggravation this medicine causes to tics, I would give a 5/10. I have a "good" United Health Care plan, and they would ONLY cover the brand name; even with insurance, the co-pay for a 30-day supply was $35.00."

R.W. (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I stopped taking this medication 6 years ago because I built up a tolerance to it. But, it seriously was the best thing to ever happen to me. I've always had untreated ADHD and when I finally received treatment, I flourished. Now, after 6 years I am giving it a try again. So far it's working great. The two things I don't like about Adderall is that I talk WAY too much, share WAY too much information. In fact, I call up family members and talk to them to death.I had to write myself a note and tape it to the phone to not call or text anyone! And the second thing is the comedown, by the time the medication wears off, I am drained!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 22, 2017

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "This drug works great at first until you need more and more to focus. Stay away from this med if you don't truly have ADHD or you have hypertension."

Txcb2004 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 21, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "While not perfect, this drug helped me achieve around an 80% improvement in my focus, attention, and ability to see tasks through to the end. I take 20mg IR in the morning and 20mg early in the afternoon. I was never diagnosed with A.D.D when I was a kid likely because I barely went to see doctors as a child. I used illicit drugs my whole life until it caused me to almost kill myself. After being clean for a year, I noticed my problems persisted with attention, focus, and finishing tasks. After seeing a Psychiatrist and getting a proper test/diagnosis, I'm grateful. It's helped a lot."

WOW. Major Improvement! (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "This has helped me a lot, but I have a couple tips. There are different brands that people will react differently to (I thought they would all act the same but no). I had a bad reaction with the first generic brand I tried, tried a different generic brand, and had a better experience. So look into that because not everyone believes that there's such a difference between different brands but to me there was. Second, I'm overweight and thought "decreased appetite? good!" but I would advise to still make sure you're eating frequently enough. Food has such an impact on brain functioning so not eating for 6 hours because you didn't feel like it is a bad habit to start! Once I got those slight issues settled, this drug really helped.Just be smart"

Sprite93817 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "Has helped me focus and I have motivation to do work . But the crash sucks , unless you have Valium or xanax"

Richieminaj January 15, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I never thought I could have done better than how I was before. I am doing better at sports, behavior wise, and paying attention in class."

Ny12314 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "Having ADD has been a bumpy ride for me, especially when it comes to finding the correct medication. As a Mechanical Engineering major, my work load is very heavy and being able to focus is essential and Adderall Xr certainly gives me the ability to do so. I've been taking 30mg xr for about 2-3 years. Prior to adderall I took Vyvanse and Concerts which did not work as well for me as adderall. It also took me a while to work adderall into my schedule as efficient as possible as I don't like taking it EVERYday. But I've got to say I found a happy medium that allows for the least amount of side effects and it is working absolute wonders for me."

Jhest603 January 13, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "My son is 13 years old and has have been on Adderall for about 6 years now and was recently switched from Adderall XR 15 mg to Adderall XR 20 mg. Today is his first on the 20 mg. So far he noticed a large difference in the effects. He said when he was on 15 mg XR for 2 years and he didn't even notice his attention span had dropped and his grades had also been, He said felt no effect whatsoever from 15 mg. The 20 mg has a noticably large increase in effectiveness . For the first time in months he feel back to normal and refreshed. He said never knew my body could grow a tolerance to a medication so quickly. I am curious if every dosage will get weak like the 15 mg. I don't want to keep elevating the strength for him as I'm worried it is bad for his health."

Elias O´Donnell (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "Please be aware of all side effects before taking this drug. Adderal is highly addictive and it is very likely that 1 taking this drug will continue to do so for a long period of time out of necessity. Its best to slowly decrease the intake of the drug so the withdrawal symptoms are not 2 intense. Taking more than prescribed can lead 2 severe & even life threatening situations. Hallucinations, hearing voices, severe insomnia, & personality changes are inevitable if abused. With that being said, this is a highly effective yet short term solution bc of the dependency factor. At times the side effects may be so severe that the person taking the drug doesn't even notice bc they are so happy and focused on everything else.Notice Excessive Movement?"

Lawstudent1738-be cautious! (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 4, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "While Adderall definitely helped my ADD symptoms, the comedown was absolutely horrible. I was on 30mg per day (20mg IR in morning, 10mg IR 5hrs later). It made me finally able to focus, and stay organized for the 5 months I took it. However, as soon as it started wearing off, I turned into a real big jerk, and I even lost some friends because of it. I eventually discontinued it after having a mental breakdown, and due to several of my closest friends and family approaching me about how I was acting. I ended up switching to Concerta and currently take 36mg per day. I find that it works 10 times better than Adderall did for me. Long story short, Adderall, while definitely very effective at treating my symptoms, wasn't the right fit for me."

average_16y/o_guy December 30, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "Helped my life entirely. I'm a more productive and clinical learner now. Didn't realize how bad I wasn't able to stay focused until I took this and noticed the difference. Sleep and eat fine on it. After the first week that is. But the lack of appetite restlessness wasn't even that bad even then."

Billybandman December 28, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had ADHD since I was diagnosed in 2003 over 15 years of trying every medication for ADHD I have found a fit for myself and talked to many others that have tried different treatments I used to take 35xr with 10mg boosters now I take 3 10mg IR a day one when I wake up one at lunch and one before or around 4-5 pm the xr actually caused me to be irritable and didn't cause much change in my normal non medicated habits, unlike vyvance would. This works great for ADHD if you have a doctor or psychiatrist that is willing to figure out what dosage works for you. Eat before you take each dose."

Troberts2332 (taken for 10 years or more) December 17, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): "I began talking Adderall about 3 months ago, I was scared to say the least. Many people I talked to advised against taken the ADD meds, instead suggesting naturopathic (?) meds. I wouldn't know where to start! I have suffered from depression since I can remember, started taking meds for that in my early 20s. Looking back at my life as a child into my teens and adult years, there was no doubt in my mind that I also had ADHD. Now 20 years later, I realized it was time to do something about it. Dr started me off at 5mg, then 10mg, up to 20mg now. It's amazing how this stuff works, I can ACTUALLY concentrate AND complete something!! The only complaint I have is that I am a little (more) spacey, could be because I'm a mother of 3 though!!! "

3lovelies December 8, 2016