User Reviews for Dexmethylphenidate

Also known as: Focalin, Focalin XR

Learn more about Dexmethylphenidate.

ADHD 115 reviews 36 medications

7.6
Auditory Processing Disorder 5 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Dexmethylphenidate reviews 120 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Dexmethylphenidate

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am 20 years old and I've been taking focalin for a year now. I have been on every ADHD medication under the sun since I was in second grade and this is the only medication that helped me get on track right away. The only adverse side effects I experience are a faster heart rate (most ADHD meds do that) and trouble sleeping. If you are having trouble sleeping on this drug here's what you do and here's what I did: prior to now, I was taking my medication at 11am or 10am. Often I would spend nights awake and panicky just begging for sleep to come. This is a simple fix. Just wake yourself up at like 6am every day to take it and you shouldn't have any problem sleeping. That's what I did and I sleep very soundly."

Snow Edmisten November 15, 2016

For Auditory Processing Disorder: "Omg. It worked great until I had horrible side effects... it looked like I had Tourette's.. scared me so bad. My Dr said I can never take it again. That side effect could've stayed like that the rest of my life. I couldnt control my arms or legs. Weird sounds were coming from deep down in my diafram... I didnt think it was ever going to stop.. The DR tried 3 different meds to make it stop.. every muscle in my body was sore for days. Said it was a rare side effect... be careful everyone"

Ricochet504 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son was so hyper that he couldn't even sit still to eat. I would like to respond to the person who questioned her thin 6 year old being put on this medicine. My son was actually able to put on some weight as he was able to focus and finish his meals. Within a year he was at a normal weight for his height. My son's doctor was able to explain that people with ADD or ADHD do not abuse this drug because it has the opposite affect on them than people without the disorder."

Jenny Ann October 13, 2016

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "Best thing out there for my son that is now 10 years old. We have tried several others medicine with no help. Thank God for focal in he is a new boy!"

Mom of Clifford September 20, 2016

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: ". I'm currently 15 yrs old and and this is the second add/adhd meds I've been on. In highschool I feel that it's very important to succeed. Due to me going untreated for my entire childhood, I dropped out. I'm back in school now and it's been 2 years. If it gets to the point where you want to drop out I suggest add medication. But if you have a 3-10 year old I highly don't suggest it. When my brother was 4-7/8 he was on it. He would always try to kill me and my mother. He would hurt animals and kids at school. He was quiet and had no emotion or expression. Tried to kill himself many times. To this day he is now 18 and 5'8 when he is supposed to be over 6ft because our genes. Highly do not recommend unless this is the last resort for a child"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son has been on this for 8 years and it is a huge help. Takes 1st thing in morning and lasts all day. No problem eating dinner and has kept a healthy weight. With the coupon we pay zero out of pocket...."

John's mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2016

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "Im 17 years old and I've taken Focalin Xr 30mg for most of my life and as much as it helps in school i would not recommend taking this at all, like most people with adhd I am pretty good socially and when I'm on focalin i become very pannicky, you cant eat and for me i feel like pukigg if i try to eat, my body becomes achy and my mouth gets really dry and mucusy, sleeping is a nightmare, I have tried to make this work, even took it every single day to build up a tolerance, but its always the same thing. Sure, i managed to sit down and get my work done but when the work is done and school done for the day you feel strange, like not in your own skin. A tutor is the best thing that has happened to me along with b12 vitamins."

Ihatefocalin August 4, 2016

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have an 8 year old with ADHD, ODD & anxiety and a 7 year old with ADHD. We tried everything before going to meds - healthy diet (no sugar/dyes), exercise, consistent schedule. Both boys have taken Focalin XR for a year (started with low dosages and increased as they grew) and it's been life changing! The meds have drastically improved their grades, behaviors and relationships. Both boys take a small dose of Focalin with lunch to get through the afternoon and a small dose of Clonidine in the evening to slow things down for bedtime. Focalin XR has been our saving grace - now instead of CONSTANT redirection, we can actually go do things and have fun. The only side effects are suppressed appetite, but they are both a healthy weight."

mom of 3 sweet souls (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2016

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been taking 20mg of Focalin XR for the past 2 years and have experienced great improvement in mental function and all around health. Focalin has allowed me to focus and be aware of a situation. I have been more efficient at work, more aware of my health and wellbeing, and able to process situations more appropriately. My biggest complaint has been with sleep patterns. Some nights I can sleep 6 hours or I can sleep for 14 and I CAN NOT fall asleep right away. My FitBit has mixed reports, but they are questionable. This is something I have tried to "tweak" with my doctor, but we have not had any success. My second complaint is nausea, but that we have been able to tweak with food consumption and timing."

Ameliabidelia (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 4, 2016

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "Worst 10 year experience of my life! It gave me bi-polar disorder OCD and even worse ADHD!! It made me get very very very bad anxiety and it felt like I was gonna have a heart explode!"

Unknown Unknown July 3, 2016

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "It's amazing but don't take 5 or 6 or 7 you will feel sick and stay up and not eat for a day or 2 but if you want a fun focus high go small like 2 or 3 then work your way up if you want to buy its not fun with a lot you start hearing thing and seeing things and you get scared easy but fun at the end did my college homework project and easays and other things I had to do for college got all done in that 24 hour period still up and feel hyper and awake but I know I'm going to crash very soon but the drug does it job 100% for me when I do 1 10mg or 2 10mg I do 2 for test the next day soo I know I'm up and ready for it"

Drake235 June 22, 2016

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My sixteen year old son began taking 15mg of the generic Focalin and had great results, unfortunately the side effects are beginning to bother him after one year of successfully taking the medicine. It seems the gastrointestinal issues are making him weary and he has asked to discontinue the medicine despite the stellar grades. Hoping a switch to a lower dose may work."

MomRom June 7, 2016

For ADHD: "This is for my 10 y.o. Daughter diagnosed with ADHD, primarily inattentive. After trying 4 other drugs we finally settled on this one because it had less side effects. The only thing we don't like is the efficacy of the XR capsule (Mylan), it doesn't start as fast as other medications so she is inattentive during her first class and is almost completely worn off by the time she gets home from school which makes homework difficult."

Jewely (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 5. My parents stopped medication a few years later. I was re-evaluated at as 25 and given Focalin XR. I have been on it for 8 years and have nothing but great things to say about it. I feel focused and in control when on it. When I'm off it, time drags by and I can't seem to finish anything. I haven't experienced many side effects. Periodically have less of an appetite and occasionally clinch my teeth but other than that, all is well."

GabrielPCA (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2016

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son has been diagnosed by 2 psychiatrists with ADHD. His issue started when he was 4. I thought he would out grow it, but it hasn't happened. He's 7 now. I've tried everything and going to start Focalin XR next week. I'm terrified!! mostly of all the side effects. I'm also afraid it's not going to work..am I doing the right thing..."

Terrified mom April 21, 2016

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My 7 year old son started taking focalin xr 5 in December after I had him tested for what I was sure going to be asperges. Turns out he was suffering from ADHD...he is currently on 15 mg xr and I can honestly say for him it is a miracle drug. He went from not being able to read and barely writing his name to reading whole books...he also went from making 20's and 30's on spelling test to averaging 90, we even had 2 100's. He has lost some weight but right now is still average so it is not much of a concern."

Macky Mack April 18, 2016

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: " I Have Struggled with adhd for 10yrs an finally my doc did something about it:) However I did have sleeping problems for first few weeks but that was expected with it being a stimulant but after a month or so my sleeping is back to normal and my mind is not spinning out of control so THANKS DOC! "

nateman25 April 12, 2016

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been off and on focallin XR 10mg debating weather I like it or not, I HATE IT. It increases my attention by a little bit. I like the loss of appetite because I need to cut down on eating and this does it for me. But it is not worth it. 7 hours of school (9th grade) the whole day was terrible. I was scared about nothing and constantly had fear through the whole day, apparently feelings of crying is very common. I can't talk to anyone either. I get so scared that I'm gonna mess up somehow talking to someone that I studder and over explain and in the end just make things more confusing. This is just not for me"

Swim_ April 5, 2016

For ADHD: "I have Bipolar and ADD, the antidepressants compromised my ability to focus and think cogently. I tried ritalin and adderall but with little improvement. Focalin gives me a good 4 hours of ability to concentrate on cognitively demanding tasks. I'm a college professor and I can vary the dosage slightly depending on the demands of my day/tasks with doctor's approval. This med. works very well, but wears off after about 4 hours and can leave me feeling drained. Overall, it's really helpful. Has not affected or caused any mania."

LisaCK (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2016

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son started haveing behavior problems in pre school. We had some teachers put up with it while the next year another wouldn't. They'de go out of their way to displine him,cause face it their human and just didn't like him. He still got straight a's and b's. We decided hey he's just hyped he has good grades we re not gonna dope our kid up. We'll we moved he went to a new school where teachers didn't know him and they started letting him fall behind. In principles office everday. Then we found foclin it was night and day.They put him in special classe last three months of year. By the end of three months they had already decided he didn't need the classes and for three years now a lilltle babytalk no incidents or trips to office."

Focalin for president March 8, 2016

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "This is not a joke. I literally took this medicine at 2:30pm and started having a panic attack at the library and had to leave. it is now 10:30pm and I just texted my sorority group chat asking if there was an earthquake because I literally felt the entire house shaking. My body is reacting so terribly to this medicineIi do not recommend taking this at all. Now my entire sorority thinks I am crazy."

MAConCRACK February 8, 2016

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have taken a number of ADHD medications starting around 6th or 7th grade to help with school. I tried Vyvanse, Concerta, Ritalin, and Focalin. Focalin by far has been my favorite. When on Focalin I could crank out work and was very effective. While many people complain about the lack of hunger you feel, this was almost a plus to me because it gave me one less thing to distract me. The only negative that I experienced was sometimes feeling detached, lonely, or on the verge of tears. They were not severe but did occur. I still loved this brand the most of all of the brands I had tried but unfortunately, our insurance stopped covering Focalin and I switched back to Ritalin which is where I am at now."

MarylandUser January 30, 2016

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6yrs old. He is 7 and in 2nd grade now. After thinking long and hard about meds for him I decided to put him on at the start of the new year. I do not like it. He takes 10 mg a day and I see no change. Things seems to be worse. Still hyper, not focused, frustrated easily, crying easily and more talkative. After a week the nurse at the dr. Office said to give it some time to work and try it for 2wks. I did and still no change. His teacher sees no improvement in school and I don't see it at home. As soon as the 2 wks was up in stopped. He complained about stomach aches and as of today his teacher notices ticks with him and I see the same thing at home. I'm done with Folican. It's not for my son."

MyAidan (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

For ADHD: "I've had experience with multiple ADHD medications, including strattera, vyvanse, adderall (xr, ir), and dexedrine (ir). Long story short, these were not effective for me. I've just started focalin ir, 10 mg 2x/day. To me, it's similar to amphetamine-based meds (adderall, etc.), but not as aggressive on my body, with much less of a "crash" when it wears off. It is effective at improving focus, motivation, and even my mood to an extent. I rated it an 8 simply because I've just started, but it seems promising for continued use."

moose1821 (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son was diagnosed at 4 and has been through almost all the drugs for ADHD which would typically fail because of side effects ie zombie out or hypersensitivity and the simplest things would make him cry. He has been diagnosed by two of the biggest and best known hospitals for children (2 separate occassions) with the 0.001% extreme ADHD and let me tell you Focalin has been a God sent. He is 10 now, on Focalin xr 25mg, his grades are up, left and right compliments from teachers that usually had complaints, no reported behavioural issues yet. Only small downside is appetite suppression. Big healthy meal before the med, small high cal snacks after school and dinner, big healthy dinner and you're set. While on meds can't even tell he has ADHD!"

extremely happy mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 25, 2015