User Reviews for Dexmethylphenidate

Auditory Processing Disorder  Off-label 7.0
ADHD   6.7

Reviews for Dexmethylphenidate

R · Taken for 10 years or more February 17, 2021

For ADHD: “This generic is the closest to the results I got from the name brand, Focalin. My wife even notices a difference in me when the pharmacy fills my prescription with another generic. Problem is that Walgreens tells me that they have trouble getting it from Sandoz. I have to call ahead and specify this generic but sometimes they tell me it isn't available.”

Abby · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2021

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “When I first started, it was great except that it made me less hungry. Very soon however I started to get angry on it, I would shake, I would binge on weekends after not eating all week, and I became depressed. I started it in third grade and finally got off it in eighth grade. Now I take Intuniv (2mg), Lexapro (15mg), Adderall XR (10mg), and Adderall (5mg). Obviously I take a lot more medication but I am stable and a mixture of these medications works best for me. The only side effects from the Adderal XR and Adderall are slight appetite decrease and some tremors and ticking but the Intuniv helps a little and I just make sure to eat before my second dose of Adderall.”

MB · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2021

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “10mg focalin once a day, I feel shaky and cold after taking it. Very angry, moody, depressed often after it stops working. It helps my focus but not the hyperactivity. Decreased appetite so I try to eat before taking it. Anyone else experiencing these symptoms and found another med that has worked for them?”

Pancake · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2021

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “Just went on this drug recently and I have taken other ADHD medication. Focalin makes me feel extremely anxious and weak. I have never experienced this with any other ADHD medication. It makes me feel like I can only sit in one area and do nothing. It doesn’t help my focus ability and ability to complete tasks.”

Fajita · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2021

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “I was on focalin when it was in the trial stages many years ago and I loved it. I finally was able to eat and enjoy eating for the first time since I was diagnosed with ADHD at 5. It then hit the market and wasn’t covered by insurance so I stopped taking it because I didn’t want my parents to pay the EXTREMELY high monthly payments for the daily dose. I have now been on it for a couple months again as a 23 year old adult and I love it. I feel like I have my life back. My anxiety has decreased. My concentration is amazing, and I feel organized again. My insurance covers the 2x day dosage.”

JD · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 13, 2021

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “I've been taking Focalin for about two years and I have this thing happen where I'm super calm and feel super clear and super focused for an hour and then after that hour I just have a lot of anxiety and can't think as clearly. Anyone else have that issue”

H January 6, 2021

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “I took focalin for 2 days and it immediately put me into the deepest darkest depression I’ve ever experienced. It barely helped with my focus, the little help it did offer wore off in a couple hours. Definitely not worth the depression it caused.”

CactusAdd · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 5, 2021

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “Helps with focus but my anxiety has increased tenfold”

Diane457 December 19, 2020

For ADHD: “DECEMBER 2020 REVIEW. PROBLEMS w the generic version of Focalin XR which is dexmethlphenidate HCL XR. I have been on Focalin XR for 15+ years. I have had some success with generics, but this year has been the worst after Covid. I had to ask my psychiatrist to request an exception to get the the "brand FocalinXR" 25mg. And the generic that Lannett put out in June 2020 (blue and white pill w#110 on it) had worked in the beginning of 2020 and 2019, but now was a total FAIL. I felt like the medicines active ingredient was totally missing. I tried taking one capsule and part of another capsule. No difference - my ADHD symptoms were all over the place. Another generic that was not effective was white/yellow capsule with the PAR & 333. And when the medication doesn't work, you can feel like you are losing your mind because you can't focus. Don't give up. My psychiatrist discussed the problem in consistency with generics! I hope my review helps someone who is struggling out there. Peace”

Gretchen · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2020

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “I’ve taken focalin once a few years ago and again just recently. Both times it made me very tired, to the point where I often have to take a nap 45 minutes after taking it because I’m so tired! I’ve never had this happen with any other ADHD medication except Focalin. It only helped my ADHD symptoms a tiny bit, but the side effects weren’t worth it and both times I switched meds. Besides feeling truly tired (not “crash” tired, actually like a I have to sleep) the other side effects I got from this medication: ear pressure, fast heartbeat, and ringing in ears.”

BP · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 15, 2020

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “I have been prescribed this for around 4 years now for my pretty bad ADHD which has affected my life in many ways. I must say I have never ever liked taking this but I had to every school day. It helps me kind of focus but it makes me feel terrible as though everything really annoys me, when taking this even talking irritates me and no matter what variation I take it always has the same annoying/negative effects with only a few positive effects.”

Cherry · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 10, 2020

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “I took focalin as a kid and it worked, but it messed me up. I had an erratic and unhealthy sleep schedule, I became anorexic and never ended up ending my anorexia even after I stopped taking it. A lot more happened that I don’t want to go into but I do NOT recommend it”

:) · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 9, 2020

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “Like all ADHD medicines there are side effects. But Focalin is the one with the least side effects that is an affordable price. The few side effects experience are heightened heart rate but I believe this is due to my breathing so once I take a few deep breaths I am no longer short on breath and my heart rate goes back down. I really appreciate the no hyper focus that I got on generic adderall and brand adderall”

Ry · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2020

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “I'm on Focalin 10mg twice a day. I'm shaky and cold after I take it, my appetite is down, and my heart is beating way too fast. I feel relatively blank, I'm tired, but have a hard time sleeping. I used to sleep between 9 or 10pm then wake up around 7-8 am, now if I'm lucky I go to sleep at 11pm or 12pm and wake up at 6am. I rarely sleep through the night, and I'm anxious and agitated all the time. I'm also on prozac (20mg) and maybe they're clashing. It does help with paying attention, I can focus on things long enough for them to register, but I feel worse than I did before I started it.”

Jackson · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 17, 2020

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “I've been reading some comments and they make a lot of sense. Focalin along with pretty much everyone of the ADHD medicines are powerful stimulants. I would think children should be put on this and others like it only in extreme circumstances. Its help change my life for the better. The pros out weigh the cons for me no question.”

G · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 16, 2020

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “Focalin does what it is supposed to but.. this medication makes my heart beat fast and also makes me super nervous and agitated all the time. I hate this medication. It makes me feel like a zombie and it makes me feel cold all over. The worst part is that I can barely eat without feeling sick and that it makes me constantly shake. This medication also makes my mood stoop to a terrible and very low level. After it wears off I feel weak, tired, cold, and nauseous.”

Graciehockey15 · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2020

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “Today is my first day on Foclin 5MG. I am 19 years old and have had ADHD and anxiety my whole life. I was on 50 mg of Adderall and switched to Concerta from second - eighth grade. Adderall was one of the worst experiences of my life. I remember not being able to eat and having no friends so I would eat in the Special Ed study hall and would basically be a walking zombie, I always told my mom my stomach hurt and would have diarrhea constantly. I was skinny and had good grades though. So 10 years later I am back on ADHD medication as I am back in college and am having a hard time focusing. I only started the 5MG of Focalin but already notice that I am calmer, my mind isn't racing, I can process thoughts, and more. I haven't felt calm like this in years... I really hope the medication stays well because I am so sick of being on meds that make me lose weight, than gain weight. It all stinks!”

Adam · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 20, 2020

For ADHD: “I started dexmethylphenidate when I was 8 years old. I started on a dose of 5 mg of XR daily and this was doubled, and doubled again, and then I ended up taking 20mg twice daily. Focalin made me so awake and attentive that even closing my eyes for a second was uncomfortable. I was unable to sleep at night for years and my appetite was greatly diminished while I was taking the medication.”

am · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2020

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “Pros: Helps my focus and relieves other ADHD symptoms. Did not decrease my appetite, create hyperfocus, or put me to sleep like Adderall did. Cons: Nausea, jaw tension, can't eat much at once. Feels pretty bad when it wears off (shaky, cold, weak, heart pounding, shortness of breath). Probably going to discontinue this med. The cons aren't worth it, unfortunately.”

Kjblue · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 5, 2020

For ADHD: “I took Concerta for many years and felt it worked good for me. The cost was very high and my current doctor said I should not have been taking two a day. (two 36 mg daily) I'm now on Focalin, 30mg daily. When I first started it I could feel the effects after about 30 minutes. Although I no longer feel the immediate difference it does make give me a bit more energy. I have not noticed any side effects so I'm lucky in that sense. I definitely notice the difference if I do not take it so I use it everyday. During this pandemic I may be bored sitting at home but I am not depressed.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 31, 2020

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “Focalin just makes you irritable and tired all the time doesn't even make you pay attention”

AJ August 2, 2020

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “My 7 year old was on 5 mg of focalin xr for 2 months. A lot of his quirky behavior went away but not all. He was up until 10 or 11pm every night and told us he had too much energy. Per the advice of the doctor we took a 4 day break and he went to bed at 9:30 all nights. We are day one of 10mg hoping that more of his quirky behavior goes away. It’s now 11:30pm and he’s wide awake. My son is perky and his same silly self - I can’t identify with other reviews that said it makes kids zombie-like. I did not have that experience at all. Hoping things get better soon though. Also, it has not affected appetite either. He eats well thank God.”

Student · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 17, 2020

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: “I’ve been taking focalin ever since my junior year of high school, I’m now a junior in college. When I started taking it I was on 15 mg extended release and 10mg regular . No side effects other than some sweating and just the medicine helping me focus and doing what it was supposed to. It seems that the longer I’ve taken it the worse the symptoms got. I now still sweat when taking it along with nausea (used to be occasional but it’s getting very frequent now) vomiting, and extreme frequent urge to go to the bathroom (”

Boymom June 11, 2020

For ADHD: “I have a 5 year old son. He started this medication dexmethylphenidate for his ADHD about 2 months ago. It has made him zombified & he cannot complete a sentence & he’s very confused when trying to talk. When he does talk he talks extremely low and nobody can hear him. When he doesn’t have this medication he is off the walls with his behavior. Hitting kicking screaming telling us no & just extremely terrible behavior. He does not eat while on his pills & he barely drinks anything. He also does not like it loud or a lot going on he’d rather be in his room by himself unless I make him go out & he’s the same like a zombie. The dose he takes is 10MG in the morning and 10MG in the afternoon. He has lost weight but not a ton. I feel as if it makes him angry when he’s not on it & like he has no care in the world when it wares off. It’s like this medication has med his behavior worse than when he took no medication sometimes. I wouldn’t recommend this medication & I’m glad I’m not alone.”

Ralph · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

For ADHD: “This dexmethylphenidate is the only medication I have tried thus far for my ADHD that has had a good effect on my life. When I take the 30mg Focalin XR that is prescribed to me, I can actually think clearly, have the motivation to do the things I need to do, and it makes me feel like a normal, happy, productive member of society. The only bad thing I can say about this treatment is that it makes my fingers and toes more sensitive to the cold, but I have never lost feeling or complete color in any of them so I believe that it’s not a major cause for concern at this point in time”