User Reviews for Dexmethylphenidate

Also known as: Focalin, Focalin XR

Learn more about Dexmethylphenidate.

ADHD 124 reviews 38 medications

7.5
Auditory Processing Disorder 5 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Dexmethylphenidate reviews 129 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Dexmethylphenidate

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have tried every ADHD drug medication available, both brand and generic (Ritalin XR, Ritalin IR, Adderall XR and IR, generic mixed amphetamine salts, Daytrana, Vyvanse, Strattera, some I can't even remember, if it exists, I've almost certainly tried it. ) Focalin XR is the only one that works. Naturally, that also means that insurance companies don't want to cover it. If you're trying to get it covered and they're dragging their feet, don't give up! You have to jump through a lot of hoops and you have to fight every step of the way. Get your doctor to help you and talk to them. Do NOT give up. Insurance companies love to make it as difficult as possible for people to get effective meds. Don't let them do it."

TheRealAnise (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I just started taking it for two day and I hate it the first day I started twitching and shaking and my stomach felt so uncomfortable.the second day it felt worse I had a dry throat, uncomfortable stomach, less twitching , I felt so useless. The worst thing about it was a post to make me focus and it does not even help. I just hate how I have to lie about how I feel - I say I'm ok but I'm so for from being ok."

A kid (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My Don started taking Focalin and started to complain that he could not see the board at school. At first I figured well maybe he is just a kid who needs glasses. His prescription was very low. Now a year and a half later his principal from his school called me because he failed the state eye test with his glasses on he has a 20/50 vision. So I took him back to the doctor and they could not correct his vision with the strongest prescription. Everything is blurry and out of focus, he lost all peripheral vision on both eyes. The doctors first question was "What medication is he on?" So I advised him Focalin 10mg. He advised me to immediately go to the doctor who prescribed it because it is a severe side effect of Focalin. Grrrr"

Mom that's worried (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son is now going on 9 we started out with adderall 5mg XR at age 5... as he got older we adjusted and went to 5mg twice a day, however!! There were massive side effects with the Adderall mainly moods anger frustration among many others that I noticed at the age of seven we then started Focalin , however when we started the Focalin my son was put on a 20 mg dose to start extended release capsule he took the medication went to school and every day after lunch when the second those kicked in he would constantly have massive rage massive hallucination massive amounts of itching breakouts among other things..... The 20 mg XR was way to strong for him. We downgraded to a 10mg XR with a 2.5mg immediate release for back. Best decision we've made"

Trini7429 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "Works Well"

AmandaLAllen17 February 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son(11) was put on 10mg of Focalin for ADHD. We have been trying different meds to treat his ADHD without making his anxiety/trichotillomania worse. This med by far was the worse! It did seem to help at school for focus, but he had extreme rage issues. It got so bad that we called the police to find out what our options were if he were to actually hurt us or his little sister. He never hurt us, but did break a window, the screen door, and throw objects. Needless to say, we stopped the meds and thankfully we have our sweet son back (although he can't focus and is annoying to other kids in his class). Please beware of mood changes with this drug."

TrekMom0909 December 18, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "Hi! I am 18 years old . I was diagnosed with ADHD just a couple months after starting kindergarten. I was having trouble paying attention, got in trouble everyday; seeing the principal was 2-3 times every 2 weeks was normal. I started taking focalin at 5. My grades improved, my conduct improved, and I could focus. I took it every weekday I was in school. It killed my appetite, I became dehydrated a lot and I didn't get all the nutrients I needed to Grow properly ( 16, 124lbs). I stopped taking in 7th grade at my discretion and my grades dropped instantly, my conduct went back. 11th- I started back and instantly my grades improved. Only drawback is I have to force myself to eat."

Anonymous112 December 10, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son takes Focalin XR for his adhd. I like the medicine but my only complaint is a side effect that is not listed anywhere when I research Focalin. The side effect my son experiences is digging in the ear or the sensation of something in his ear that he needs to get out. The higher the dosage the worse the digging is. I have talked to the doctors, had his ears checked and put on allergey medicines, he still digs in his ears. He does really well with the medicine in school and activities out side of school. I have not seen any other side effect for this medication."

Neary December 8, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I waited a couple of months before I wrote a review because I wanted to make sure it worked. My son, 7yrs old, has been on focal for 3 months. He is doing wonders with it. It helps him stay grounded to get all his daily tasks done and his concentration in school has been awarded by teachers and peers. The only issue is loss of appetite which in turned made him loose 13 pounds in 3 months. With the help of his pediatrician and the staff at the school were on top of him now with a high protein diet and snacks throughout the day."

Great but watch weight loss (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am 20 years old and I've been taking focalin for a year now. I have been on every ADHD medication under the sun since I was in second grade and this is the only medication that helped me get on track right away. The only adverse side effects I experience are a faster heart rate (most ADHD meds do that) and trouble sleeping. If you are having trouble sleeping on this drug here's what you do and here's what I did: prior to now, I was taking my medication at 11am or 10am. Often I would spend nights awake and panicky just begging for sleep to come. This is a simple fix. Just wake yourself up at like 6am every day to take it and you shouldn't have any problem sleeping. That's what I did and I sleep very soundly."

Snow Edmisten November 15, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Auditory Processing Disorder: "Omg. It worked great until I had horrible side effects... it looked like I had Tourette's.. scared me so bad. My Dr said I can never take it again. That side effect could've stayed like that the rest of my life. I couldnt control my arms or legs. Weird sounds were coming from deep down in my diafram... I didnt think it was ever going to stop.. The DR tried 3 different meds to make it stop.. every muscle in my body was sore for days. Said it was a rare side effect... be careful everyone"

Ricochet504 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son was so hyper that he couldn't even sit still to eat. I would like to respond to the person who questioned her thin 6 year old being put on this medicine. My son was actually able to put on some weight as he was able to focus and finish his meals. Within a year he was at a normal weight for his height. My son's doctor was able to explain that people with ADD or ADHD do not abuse this drug because it has the opposite affect on them than people without the disorder."

Jenny Ann October 13, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "Best thing out there for my son that is now 10 years old. We have tried several others medicine with no help. Thank God for focal in he is a new boy!"

Mom of Clifford September 20, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: ". I'm currently 15 yrs old and and this is the second add/adhd meds I've been on. In highschool I feel that it's very important to succeed. Due to me going untreated for my entire childhood, I dropped out. I'm back in school now and it's been 2 years. If it gets to the point where you want to drop out I suggest add medication. But if you have a 3-10 year old I highly don't suggest it. When my brother was 4-7/8 he was on it. He would always try to kill me and my mother. He would hurt animals and kids at school. He was quiet and had no emotion or expression. Tried to kill himself many times. To this day he is now 18 and 5'8 when he is supposed to be over 6ft because our genes. Highly do not recommend unless this is the last resort for a child"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son has been on this for 8 years and it is a huge help. Takes 1st thing in morning and lasts all day. No problem eating dinner and has kept a healthy weight. With the coupon we pay zero out of pocket...."

John's mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "Im 17 years old and I've taken Focalin Xr 30mg for most of my life and as much as it helps in school i would not recommend taking this at all, like most people with adhd I am pretty good socially and when I'm on focalin i become very pannicky, you cant eat and for me i feel like pukigg if i try to eat, my body becomes achy and my mouth gets really dry and mucusy, sleeping is a nightmare, I have tried to make this work, even took it every single day to build up a tolerance, but its always the same thing. Sure, i managed to sit down and get my work done but when the work is done and school done for the day you feel strange, like not in your own skin. A tutor is the best thing that has happened to me along with b12 vitamins."

Ihatefocalin August 4, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have an 8 year old with ADHD, ODD & anxiety and a 7 year old with ADHD. We tried everything before going to meds - healthy diet (no sugar/dyes), exercise, consistent schedule. Both boys have taken Focalin XR for a year (started with low dosages and increased as they grew) and it's been life changing! The meds have drastically improved their grades, behaviors and relationships. Both boys take a small dose of Focalin with lunch to get through the afternoon and a small dose of Clonidine in the evening to slow things down for bedtime. Focalin XR has been our saving grace - now instead of CONSTANT redirection, we can actually go do things and have fun. The only side effects are suppressed appetite, but they are both a healthy weight."

mom of 3 sweet souls (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been taking 20mg of Focalin XR for the past 2 years and have experienced great improvement in mental function and all around health. Focalin has allowed me to focus and be aware of a situation. I have been more efficient at work, more aware of my health and wellbeing, and able to process situations more appropriately. My biggest complaint has been with sleep patterns. Some nights I can sleep 6 hours or I can sleep for 14 and I CAN NOT fall asleep right away. My FitBit has mixed reports, but they are questionable. This is something I have tried to "tweak" with my doctor, but we have not had any success. My second complaint is nausea, but that we have been able to tweak with food consumption and timing."

Ameliabidelia (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 4, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "Worst 10 year experience of my life! It gave me bi-polar disorder OCD and even worse ADHD!! It made me get very very very bad anxiety and it felt like I was gonna have a heart explode!"

Unknown Unknown July 3, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "It's amazing but don't take 5 or 6 or 7 you will feel sick and stay up and not eat for a day or 2 but if you want a fun focus high go small like 2 or 3 then work your way up if you want to buy its not fun with a lot you start hearing thing and seeing things and you get scared easy but fun at the end did my college homework project and easays and other things I had to do for college got all done in that 24 hour period still up and feel hyper and awake but I know I'm going to crash very soon but the drug does it job 100% for me when I do 1 10mg or 2 10mg I do 2 for test the next day soo I know I'm up and ready for it"

Drake235 June 22, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My sixteen year old son began taking 15mg of the generic Focalin and had great results, unfortunately the side effects are beginning to bother him after one year of successfully taking the medicine. It seems the gastrointestinal issues are making him weary and he has asked to discontinue the medicine despite the stellar grades. Hoping a switch to a lower dose may work."

MomRom June 7, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "This is for my 10 y.o. Daughter diagnosed with ADHD, primarily inattentive. After trying 4 other drugs we finally settled on this one because it had less side effects. The only thing we don't like is the efficacy of the XR capsule (Mylan), it doesn't start as fast as other medications so she is inattentive during her first class and is almost completely worn off by the time she gets home from school which makes homework difficult."

Jewely (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 5. My parents stopped medication a few years later. I was re-evaluated at as 25 and given Focalin XR. I have been on it for 8 years and have nothing but great things to say about it. I feel focused and in control when on it. When I'm off it, time drags by and I can't seem to finish anything. I haven't experienced many side effects. Periodically have less of an appetite and occasionally clinch my teeth but other than that, all is well."

GabrielPCA (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son has been diagnosed by 2 psychiatrists with ADHD. His issue started when he was 4. I thought he would out grow it, but it hasn't happened. He's 7 now. I've tried everything and going to start Focalin XR next week. I'm terrified!! mostly of all the side effects. I'm also afraid it's not going to work..am I doing the right thing..."

Terrified mom April 21, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My 7 year old son started taking focalin xr 5 in December after I had him tested for what I was sure going to be asperges. Turns out he was suffering from ADHD...he is currently on 15 mg xr and I can honestly say for him it is a miracle drug. He went from not being able to read and barely writing his name to reading whole books...he also went from making 20's and 30's on spelling test to averaging 90, we even had 2 100's. He has lost some weight but right now is still average so it is not much of a concern."

Macky Mack April 18, 2016