User Reviews for Dexmethylphenidate systemic

7.5

Auditory Processing Disorder

Summary of Dexmethylphenidate reviews 7.5 150 reviews

Reviews for Dexmethylphenidate

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am 20 and have been on focalin since I was about 16. I feel like a robot who cannot socially interact with anyone. Eating food feels unnatural to me. While it is great for focusing on school work, I am anxious about whether I am doing the right thing or not. Talking is a chore. My hands shake when I do homework. It feels like a state of panic with a rapid heartbeat and yet I feel no emotion at all, if that makes sense. I just get from point A to point B. Please make sure this medicine is right for you."

college student (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 22, 2018

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My wife and I adopted. At the the time of birth doctors told us he was born addicted to crack cocaine also might not learn or express himself in a standard way. Our son is now 8yrs old in third grade omega prodigy program. He started taking Focalin and guanfacine at 6yrs old helped tremendously. 2 months to start working over summer. It's not a miracle drug it just helps keep him focused. I have not seen any side affects and no we are not rich or private school boot camp people. We just have him read 45min a day and let him be a kid. Good luck"

Real deal (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2018

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I hate giving my child medicine. Absolutely hate it. My son was doing so poorly in school though without it. With it his grades are so much better. I tried stopping it for two months and had to give it to him again because grades and behavior took a nose dive."

Mom411 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2018

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've always had ADD but didn't start trying to get help with it until I was about to start college. I tried Adderall for 2 weeks and became unable to eat and felt constantly awful. It was obvious Adderall wasn't working for me, so my doctor recommend Focalin XR, and I really can't recommend it enough. About a week after taking Focalin (10mg twice daily) I went from that to being able to work without distraction for at least 4 hours. I could focus on all the things I enjoyed for longer periods. I was no longer asking my friends and others "I'm sorry could you repeat that?" like I was before constantly. It has also helped me with my depression, I feel so much more motivated and I'm able to finally organize things without it feeling like a chore. Sadly it's quite expensive, unless you have very good insurance. My previous insurance covered it until I turned 19 at about $5, but with my current insurance it's $170/month with a discount coupon."

Cool Guy August 16, 2018

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I didn’t get diagnosed till I was 30. I’m 31 now. I was taking adderall XR 25mg. I just didn’t feel it working like it should. So my Dr. switched me to focalin xr 30mg. I read the starting dose is 10mg for adults, I guess since I took a higher dose of adderall my dr felt it was best to get me going on a higher dose of focalin. My job is working on the phones I have to call about 300 people a day. There is no way I would be able to perform my job well if I wasn’t taking this medication. I’m focused and not bored, I’m not day dreaming all day, I’m staying in my seat, I don’t have a messy desk. This stuff works."

Captain America (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2018

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My dose of focalin is 10 MG. A few hours after taking it, I start to feel very depressed and down like I can't do anything at all. Makes me feel like I'm going to throw up, feel tired, and have to go poop a lot from it."

greenclouds (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2018

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am 62 year old female. I SO wanted focalin to work for me. Prozac and focalin are both NOT good. So tired, can't focus, nauseated, dizzy, reclusive, crying. Now on second day of wellbutrin and already feeling 100% better. I thought focalin would give me a boost.. I’m giving focalin the boot!"

Stella (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "Has helped so much with my focus at work that I am amazed. Only side Effect I notice is I clench my jaws sometimes to tight. I can live with that."

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2018

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "18 y/o daughter, 100 pds, prescribed starting dose of 20 mg daily by primary care dr. She went nearly out of her mind and out of control immediately. Anger, crying uncontrollably, inability to process, absolutely like she was on crack. Previously on another ADHD med without these effects. 4 days in we took her off and she returned to sanity. This scared both her and us. It appears she was prescribed 4x the starting dose considering her size...and it is capsules that cannot be split. I Epic fail."

Drew (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2018

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My 6 year old was placed on focalin xr after a lot of stress on if we should even do medication. We thought we would give it a try when my daughter was diagnosed with ADHD combined type. My daughter was not a behavior issue, but was extremely "floppy" and would twirl, lay on the ground in public and leap around. It was like she could not control her body at all. She also could barely look at you in the eye when you were telling her something-- it was like she was always in another world. She also only ever felt satisfied by TV and videos and all other activities were too boring to hold her attention. I was stressed that she felt so "out of control." We tried focalin 10 mg and saw an instant change with very little side effects. We had to move up after about 2 months to 15 mg because the inability to control her body came back--but focus was alright."

Annie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2018

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was placed on this medication after taking a 5 question survey on a piece of paper. That DOES NOT determine whether or not you have ADHD. I was on this medication and lost 40 lbs. I also lost several jobs, became very emotionally erratic, and nearly died after arriving to a hospital with a 260 BPM heartbeat. After finding out that I have Mitral Valve Prolapse with regurgitation, I obviously was weened off this medication. I ended up following up with a neurosurgeon completing a CAT scan from a previous Traumatic Brain Injury as a teen and then also completed neuro-psychological testing which proved that I, in fact, do NOT have ADHD even though I was diagnosed with it twice in my life. "

Nunya beeswax January 29, 2018

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My 13 year old daughter was switched to focalin after a few days the feelings of sadness, anxiety, and sleeplessness caused her not to be able to deal with it and she tried to commit suicide. If you read up on this medicine the FDA is asking for that to become one of the side effect warnings for this medication. My daughter was placed in a behavioral center that could help her and she has not took anymore ADHD medication since that day. She told me (her mom) I will never do that again but that medicine made me feel so sad and my thoughts weren't my own. Never again will my daughter take this medication or anything for ADHD!"

Anonymous January 28, 2018

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "The doctor started me off with 10 mg seemed to never "fully" kick in, I would feel some effects, mostly just I would stare out into space and daydream. I told my doctor this and he just said I needed to refocus my focus. (He's a hippy Y'all) Then when I finally convinced him up it to see if I would actually feel anything more, it just amps my anxiety and makes me extremely tired. You can forget about taking a second extended-release capsule after that one wears off, it just makes you more tired and amps your anxiety more, makes you jittery and really on edge, also makes your heart beat incredibly fast. Would not recommend."

prettylittledancer January 19, 2018

For ADHD: "I'm on a combo of Bupropion for ADHD, anxiety, and depression. The Bupropion was somewhat ineffective for ADHD, but helped with the other things. I am still taking 300mg Bupropion XL and added 10mg dexmethylphenidate er. I am very happy with the results. I experienced a headache the first couple of days as well as sleepiness in the afternoon, but a week later, those side effects have subsided. The first couple of days I also felt like I couldn't form coherent sentences and spoke sort of robotic, that also went away. My only issue is that it's going to be a pain to refill, since it's a controlled drug."

32amrak January 15, 2018

For ADHD: "Works well."

Zenman34 December 28, 2017

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I take the smallest dose of 5 mg Focalin XR. I've been on the same dosage for years now. I find it's like a small cup of coffee in how stimulating it is. I find that is also has a side benefit of being a mood stabilizer as well. It also helps me with my mild OCD behaviors, which I notice as the meds wear off. I never noticed my OCD before, but as it wears off, I do now, and can at least be aware of them when I'm not on my meds. I've accidentally taken 2 pills before, and it felt like my head was floating above my body. Strange, and not recommended. Also, don't go for the big dose right away."

MonsterHair (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 23, 2017

For ADHD: "When I first started this medication it was great and worked well. I had developed a tolerance to methlyphenidate. After about a year I started to develop anxiety. I am warning you this medication will make you anxious. Other than that, my appetite is nothing when I'm on it and my appetite is out of control when I'm off it. I will be asking my doctor to switch me to adderall soon because this is doing no good."

David771 November 19, 2017

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I'm 22 in college, I've been taking Prozac for anxiety and depression and it's worked great!! I decided to take on my ADHD that I've had my whole life. Since having taken Focalin 20mg I have been a MESS. Both medicines contradict each other. I have been very anxious taking this. I'm also very jittery non stop moving and sweaty. I'm hungry to the point of feeling faint, but can't eat bc even the thought of eating makes me want to throw up. Some days my heart feels like it's beating out of my chest. I always wake up at 6am feeling great and fall back asleep and wake up later feeling like rubbish. I haven't really been able to tell if it has helped me focus on school but I'll begin focusing on other things like my phone or daydreaming."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2017

For ADHD: "I have been taking focalin since the 6th grade. My ADD has improved. Everyday, I feel jittery and I shiver uncontrollably. My stomach hurts a lot and when I don't take it consecutively, my appetite goes away. I either eat nothing or everything in sight. I'm naturally skinny but when I don't eat,I'm afraid people will think that's why I'm skinny. I am insanely tired everyday, and my medication used to pick me up but now it doesn't. I hate coffee and I've tried caffeine tablets (they make me 3x more jittery). I have abused focalin before. I tried to get high on 3 different occasions, but they all have been unsuccessful. I have terrible anxiety."

Highschooler (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2017

For ADHD: "I am a 24 year old male who has been on dexmethylphendate 20 mg for a few years. I find this medication is very helpful for studying but it occasionally causes panic attacks where I feel as if I am having a heart attack or stroke. I feel my heart race and my left arm and face feel a little numb and a start shacking. However when my doctor tests my blood pressure and EKG every thing is normal except a slightly fast heart rate."

Tlx7314 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 12, 2017

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "Ok I have been reading up on the side affects and reviews of this medication my 6 year old had tried 2 or 3 other ADHD medications from a clinic he stayed in for about a month he is on XR 20mg and it to me has honestly done wonders my son is able to focus, learn, sit still and get his school work done. He is so much happier that he is learning and can focus on one subject at a time rather than racing through his brain. I like it and only concerns is he can hold better conversations but his answers to question are very short "How was your day?" "Good...".You have to ask him more questions to get more answers. Then you have to repeat or either give him one instruction at a time for him to complete. I'm concerned about the long term side affects"

MomOf3_V September 24, 2017

Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have tried every ADHD drug medication available, both brand and generic (Ritalin XR, Ritalin IR, Adderall XR and IR, generic mixed amphetamine salts, Daytrana, Vyvanse, Strattera, some I can't even remember, if it exists, I've almost certainly tried it. ) Focalin XR is the only one that works. Naturally, that also means that insurance companies don't want to cover it. If you're trying to get it covered and they're dragging their feet, don't give up! You have to jump through a lot of hoops and you have to fight every step of the way. Get your doctor to help you and talk to them. Do NOT give up. Insurance companies love to make it as difficult as possible for people to get effective meds. Don't let them do it."

TheRealAnise (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2017

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "I just started taking it for two day and I hate it the first day I started twitching and shaking and my stomach felt so uncomfortable.the second day it felt worse I had a dry throat, uncomfortable stomach, less twitching , I felt so useless. The worst thing about it was a post to make me focus and it does not even help. I just hate how I have to lie about how I feel - I say I'm ok but I'm so for from being ok."

A kid (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My Don started taking Focalin and started to complain that he could not see the board at school. At first I figured well maybe he is just a kid who needs glasses. His prescription was very low. Now a year and a half later his principal from his school called me because he failed the state eye test with his glasses on he has a 20/50 vision. So I took him back to the doctor and they could not correct his vision with the strongest prescription. Everything is blurry and out of focus, he lost all peripheral vision on both eyes. The doctors first question was "What medication is he on?" So I advised him Focalin 10mg. He advised me to immediately go to the doctor who prescribed it because it is a severe side effect of Focalin. Grrrr"

Mom that's worried (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2017

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son is now going on 9 we started out with adderall 5mg XR at age 5... as he got older we adjusted and went to 5mg twice a day, however!! There were massive side effects with the Adderall mainly moods anger frustration among many others that I noticed at the age of seven we then started Focalin , however when we started the Focalin my son was put on a 20 mg dose to start extended release capsule he took the medication went to school and every day after lunch when the second those kicked in he would constantly have massive rage massive hallucination massive amounts of itching breakouts among other things..... The 20 mg XR was way to strong for him. We downgraded to a 10mg XR with a 2.5mg immediate release for back. Best decision we've made"

Trini7429 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2017