User Reviews for Focalin

Learn more about Focalin.

ADHD 50 reviews 36 medications

Auditory Processing Disorder 1 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Focalin reviews 51 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Focalin

For ADHD ". I'm currently 15 yrs old and and this is the second add/adhd meds I've been on. In highschool I feel that it's very important to succeed. Due to me going untreated for my entire childhood, I dropped out. I'm back in school now and it's been 2 years. If it gets to the point where you want to drop out I suggest add medication. But if you have a 3-10 year old I highly don't suggest it. When my brother was 4-7/8 he was on it. He would always try to kill me and my mother. He would hurt animals and kids at school. He was quiet and had no emotion or expression. Tried to kill himself many times. To this day he is now 18 and 5'8 when he is supposed to be over 6ft because our genes. Highly do not recommend unless this is the last resort for a child"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

For ADHD "Im 17 years old and I've taken Focalin Xr 30mg for most of my life and as much as it helps in school i would not recommend taking this at all, like most people with adhd I am pretty good socially and when I'm on focalin i become very pannicky, you cant eat and for me i feel like pukigg if i try to eat, my body becomes achy and my mouth gets really dry and mucusy, sleeping is a nightmare, I have tried to make this work, even took it every single day to build up a tolerance, but its always the same thing. Sure, i managed to sit down and get my work done but when the work is done and school done for the day you feel strange, like not in your own skin. A tutor is the best thing that has happened to me along with b12 vitamins."

Ihatefocalin August 4, 2016

For ADHD "My sixteen year old son began taking 15mg of the generic Focalin and had great results, unfortunately the side effects are beginning to bother him after one year of successfully taking the medicine. It seems the gastrointestinal issues are making him weary and he has asked to discontinue the medicine despite the stellar grades. Hoping a switch to a lower dose may work."

MomRom June 7, 2016

For ADHD "My 7 year old son started taking focalin xr 5 in December after I had him tested for what I was sure going to be asperges. Turns out he was suffering from ADHD...he is currently on 15 mg xr and I can honestly say for him it is a miracle drug. He went from not being able to read and barely writing his name to reading whole books...he also went from making 20's and 30's on spelling test to averaging 90, we even had 2 100's. He has lost some weight but right now is still average so it is not much of a concern."

Macky Mack April 18, 2016

For ADHD " I Have Struggled with adhd for 10yrs an finally my doc did something about it:) However I did have sleeping problems for first few weeks but that was expected with it being a stimulant but after a month or so my sleeping is back to normal and my mind is not spinning out of control so THANKS DOC! "

nateman25 April 12, 2016

For ADHD "I have been off and on focallin XR 10mg debating weather I like it or not, I HATE IT. It increases my attention by a little bit. I like the loss of appetite because I need to cut down on eating and this does it for me. But it is not worth it. 7 hours of school (9th grade) the whole day was terrible. I was scared about nothing and constantly had fear through the whole day, apparently feelings of crying is very common. I can't talk to anyone either. I get so scared that I'm gonna mess up somehow talking to someone that I studder and over explain and in the end just make things more confusing. This is just not for me"

Swim_ April 5, 2016

For ADHD "This is not a joke. I literally took this medicine at 2:30pm and started having a panic attack at the library and had to leave. it is now 10:30pm and I just texted my sorority group chat asking if there was an earthquake because I literally felt the entire house shaking. My body is reacting so terribly to this medicineIi do not recommend taking this at all. Now my entire sorority thinks I am crazy."

MAConCRACK February 8, 2016

For ADHD "I have taken a number of ADHD medications starting around 6th or 7th grade to help with school. I tried Vyvanse, Concerta, Ritalin, and Focalin. Focalin by far has been my favorite. When on Focalin I could crank out work and was very effective. While many people complain about the lack of hunger you feel, this was almost a plus to me because it gave me one less thing to distract me. The only negative that I experienced was sometimes feeling detached, lonely, or on the verge of tears. They were not severe but did occur. I still loved this brand the most of all of the brands I had tried but unfortunately, our insurance stopped covering Focalin and I switched back to Ritalin which is where I am at now."

MarylandUser January 30, 2016

For ADHD "My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6yrs old. He is 7 and in 2nd grade now. After thinking long and hard about meds for him I decided to put him on at the start of the new year. I do not like it. He takes 10 mg a day and I see no change. Things seems to be worse. Still hyper, not focused, frustrated easily, crying easily and more talkative. After a week the nurse at the dr. Office said to give it some time to work and try it for 2wks. I did and still no change. His teacher sees no improvement in school and I don't see it at home. As soon as the 2 wks was up in stopped. He complained about stomach aches and as of today his teacher notices ticks with him and I see the same thing at home. I'm done with Folican. It's not for my son."

MyAidan (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

For ADHD "Experienced zombie like state, very hostile, constant headache, felt a feeling of sadness come over me and wanted to cry randomly. I talk with my doc. who told me to decrease my dosage but I still had these effects. On to something else."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

For ADHD "I love how it makes you more focused on one thing. But it has too many bad things to it. First you have loss of hunger for a longer period of time. Then you get this bad stomach feeling like barely fainting or puking. Your muscles start to twitch and you annoying and hostile. I also feel like crying at random points and is pretty emberassing."

Ricky-__ December 1, 2015

For ADHD "I have no insurance and currently back in school for counseling, social worker.... lets say Human Resources. I am 34 years old, can't get insurance with parents, I'm way over 25! I clean homes and babysit to get extra cash for gas and needs and thankfully my parents have extra rooms, also luckily I have no kids. Was getting my 70mg Vyvanse meds paid all for with card, but after renewing was denied due to couldn't read Dr's last name and no proof of income..have none. Was currently taking 30mg Adderall 2x per day, Dr. wanted to try this and luckily about same price, now the Adderall is now half as much, so I must sacrifice. This medicine is by far the best medication I have found for my condition. May just have to pay more for this, best!!!"

ADD,very best med. yet! (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2015

For ADHD "My 4 yo started taking focalin today..5mg.. she is higher than a kite.. she talks incessantly.. she is licking her chin.. she is having mouth ticks..she is sweating and scratching her face and arms..her heart is beating so fast and is crying too. She will NEVER take this med again.. ADHD is easier than this. It has been nearly 6 hrs and it is still going strong. I can't get anything done for fear of taking my eyes off her. I would give it a 0 but wasn't an option."

gijoemp127 October 7, 2015

For ADHD "Im a 17 year old girl and focalin was the first medication I ever used to treat my ADHD. It was the worst! Like many others, I felt extremely anxious. I also constantly would feel unattached to the world. Even worse, it didn't even help me focus! I was too busy having overwhelming feelings of anxiety to be focused. However, I wouldn't say you shouldn't try this medication as it seems to work for others. I just know that if you feel any sense of anxiety, it's abnormal. I'm on vyvanse now and I have no problems with anxiety. Just a few minor symptoms, but it works great."

George Washington September 26, 2015

For ADHD "I am an 18 year old female with ADHD and my doctor just switched me from vyvanse 30mg to taking focalin 10mg XR and I absolutely hate it. Vyvanse worked for me but would make me bite my lip often in class which was very odd, but something I could work with...Focalin makes me socially anxious (keep in mind I am the most social and extroverted girl), jittery, and worry about random things. I am going to doctor tomorrow after taking it for 2 days and going back to vyvanse."

sugargirl66 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2015

For ADHD "I've been taking Focalin XR for the past 6 years and it worked well. This past year it hasn't worked for as long as it used to. It wears off about 1."

Sgm January 5, 2015

For ADHD "My 7yo son has had ADHD since he was a toddler. He started taking ADHD meds at the age of 3-- three months before turning 4. He was already threatened to be taken out of preschool for his behavior. He's always had an I don't care attitude, very destructive unintentionally, couldn't even sit down to watch any TV show longer than 5 minutes. We had the hardest time finding a punishment that he actually feared until a therapist gave us 1-2-3 magic to watch--it worked! We started him on Vyvanse, but he had 6 side effects from it. He got switched to Focalin as he grew he's now switched to Focalin XR and now up to 40mg in the morning and at lunch 5mg to get him through the day. We love it, but it doesn't last long."

Charis1234 December 14, 2014

For ADHD "We started our 8 year old son (then) on Methyphenidate I think 10mg. Then went up to 20 mg. That was disastrous after a few months with the tantrums, weight loss and anorexia. We had him switched to Vyvanse 20 mg per day for a few months. Anorexia continued and after those few months, he became yellowish skinned, almost jaundiced. He got toxic obviously so we detoxed him with some fish oil supplements and some other herbal remedies. About 2 weeks later we put him on Focalin XR 5mg. His focus is starting to dwindle now that school started. We added the Focalin 2.5mg to the morning regimen to boost the dosage a little faster (that one is faster absorbed also). Have not heard anything negative from the teacher so we are crossing our fingers."

KarPete October 3, 2014

For ADHD "I have been on Focalin XR 10 mg for a week now and it seems to be pretty good. I have ADHD/ADD and I was on Vyvanse but it made me very moody and also made me drop 20 pounds in two months. Also noticed impulses on that medication. Focalin seems to be different I feel a bit zombish but I feel its not an issue. And I also have somewhat of an appetite. I feel much more focused."

gabbyc2013 March 29, 2014

For ADHD "My 6.5 year old son has been taking this medicine for over a year. A few months after taking it, we switched him to Ritalin but the Ritalin made his behavior crazy. I don't have much to complain about this medicine. Any ADHD medication is going to make your child zombie-like. My son takes 10MG XR in the morning and I can literally see the switch in his personality in about 10 minutes. He is supposed to take 5mg non extended release after school, however, I hardly give that to him anymore. I sometimes break the 5mg pill in half and just have him take 2.5mg to focus on his homework, if I see him struggling. We just had his medication reduced to 5MG in the morning, 2.5 after lunch and 2.5 later in the afternoon - waiting to see how this works out."

NB9217 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2014

For ADHD "My 10 yr old son was diagnosed with ADHD 4 years ago. He has been taking Focalin 10mg for 2.5 years and it has been wonderful for him. He has steady good grades and his focus improved greatly. He only takes this during school days, not during weekends nor during the summer months. He understands it helps him even at 10 yrs. It is important, at least for our family, to ensure he's part of the treatment plan and feel in control of this as well. Also, my son communicates with us on how it makes him feel and the only worry I have when he's taking this is his loss of appetite or not eating enough. So we always have a good breakfast before school starts and he takes the pill on his own (of course I watch from a distance."

Stardustbloom June 9, 2013

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My 8 yr old has been on the meds for 3 days now. His teachers say he's doing great at school and he's a lot more focused and less compulsive. BUT... He complains of being tired the entire time, stomach pains, headaches. I give him the medicine at 7:00 a.m. By 4:00 its starting to wear off and he seems to be coming off a high. At moments hes pure goofy almost to the point I say psychotic moments. He also talks to himself a lot. I don't know if I should give it a week or 2 to get in his system or stop it. I understand he needs better focus and less compulsive moments at school but I love him more than to harm him with medicines. "

My 8 yr old son (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My 6.5 yr old son takes 5mg XR on school days only.has been on it for 30 school days. He does great in school and it appears a miracle help to him. It does seem to wear off too early so I will talk to the Dr. About that next week. When he comes home from school and we try to do his homework it is a nightmare. He has a very mild case of ADHD. He eats well so far. He sleeps better and longer now than he did before starting the medicine. But a few weeks ago he told me he feels his heart beating fast and pains in his left side in physical education. Took him for a complete cardio. Check with EkG, ultrasound and all kinds of other tests. He checked out in perfect condition. So we will keep an eye out and see."

jesawesome December 28, 2012

For ADHD "This was the 6th medication that my 6 yo son tried. Loved Daytrana, but the rashes were terrible and it took forever to kick in. Hated Focalin. He had no better of an appetite on it and most importantly, even though his symptoms were not resolved, he was a zombie on the lowest dosage - hyperfocused, irritable, NO sense of humor (and this is the kid that was always called "a one man show" in school). On to number 7 now...."

Anonymous April 13, 2012

For ADHD "My 9-year-old takes Focalin XR during the school day and Focalin for a kick up at night for extra-curriculars. For us, its been great. He had been on Adderall but became negative, dramatic and started threatening self-harm. When you hide knives from your 6-year-old, its a problem! He's in the gifted program now but has always been a good student. All conversations with teachers started out "He's so smart but..." We don't hear the "but" anymore. We just started taking him off the meds more. Which can drive us crazy but we noticed that he was always on the taller side. Now he's one of the shorter kids and he's underweight. He doesn't eat while medicated so we're hoping he'll grow more if we take a break."

Anonymous March 19, 2012