User Reviews for Focalin (Page 2)

ADHD

Reviews for Focalin

Zmom February 24, 2009

For ADHD: “My 8 year old son has been on this medicine for 1 year. At first it was great, it helped with his self control, focus, etc. Now he is having side effects such as, chest pain, aggressiveness, irritability and tics.”

jaisa April 9, 2019

For ADHD: “We started my son on Focalin once doctors felt his anxiety was under control with Prozac. Big mistake. His grades were great but anxiety went through the roof. Wish we had never gone down that road still trying to put him back together and get through this 6 months later.”

momommy August 7, 2008

For ADHD: “My daughter (6 years old) has been on Focalin for 30 days now, to control her ADHD. This is our wonder drug. Gives her the control she needs, without making her have ups and downs. She hasn't experienced any problems with sleep, and we can see the medicine leave her after about 6 hours.”

Swim_ April 5, 2016

For ADHD: “I have been off and on focallin XR 10mg debating weather I like it or not, I HATE IT. It increases my attention by a little bit. I like the loss of appetite because I need to cut down on eating and this does it for me. But it is not worth it. 7 hours of school (9th grade) the whole day was terrible. I was scared about nothing and constantly had fear through the whole day, apparently feelings of crying is very common. I can't talk to anyone either. I get so scared that I'm gonna mess up somehow talking to someone that I studder and over explain and in the end just make things more confusing. This is just not for me”

MyAidan · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2016

For ADHD: “My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6yrs old. He is 7 and in 2nd grade now. After thinking long and hard about meds for him I decided to put him on at the start of the new year. I do not like it. He takes 10 mg a day and I see no change. Things seems to be worse. Still hyper, not focused, frustrated easily, crying easily and more talkative. After a week the nurse at the dr. Office said to give it some time to work and try it for 2wks. I did and still no change. His teacher sees no improvement in school and I don't see it at home. As soon as the 2 wks was up in stopped. He complained about stomach aches and as of today his teacher notices ticks with him and I see the same thing at home. I'm done with Folican. It's not for my son.”

Her Mama November 11, 2009

For ADHD: “My daughter (6 yrs old) began on Focalin (10 MG) a month ago. We noticed she suffered from no ill side effects; rather she became more "in tune" with others feelings and emotions, slept even more soundly at night, and did not have a loss of appetite. Unfortunately, it did not stay in her system long enough to get her through school and homework so her Doctor adjusted her dose (20 MG). Now she is loving it! For the first time, she is receiving high marks on her behavior at school, is able to communicate better with her friends, and (in her words) "stay focused and in control". The beauty of this, it leaves her system after about 10 hrs (she takes it at 7 am) and we are able to practice behavior modification procedures at home with her.”

gijoemp127 October 7, 2015

For ADHD: “My 4 yo started taking focalin today..5mg.. she is higher than a kite.. she talks incessantly.. she is licking her chin.. she is having mouth ticks..she is sweating and scratching her face and arms..her heart is beating so fast and is crying too. She will NEVER take this med again.. ADHD is easier than this. It has been nearly 6 hrs and it is still going strong. I can't get anything done for fear of taking my eyes off her. I would give it a 0 but wasn't an option.”

Fajita · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2021

For ADHD: “I was on focalin when it was in the trial stages many years ago and I loved it. I finally was able to eat and enjoy eating for the first time since I was diagnosed with ADHD at 5. It then hit the market and wasn’t covered by insurance so I stopped taking it because I didn’t want my parents to pay the EXTREMELY high monthly payments for the daily dose. I have now been on it for a couple months again as a 23 year old adult and I love it. I feel like I have my life back. My anxiety has decreased. My concentration is amazing, and I feel organized again. My insurance covers the 2x day dosage.”

Ihatefocalin August 4, 2016

For ADHD: “Im 17 years old and I've taken Focalin Xr 30mg for most of my life and as much as it helps in school i would not recommend taking this at all, like most people with adhd I am pretty good socially and when I'm on focalin i become very pannicky, you cant eat and for me i feel like pukigg if i try to eat, my body becomes achy and my mouth gets really dry and mucusy, sleeping is a nightmare, I have tried to make this work, even took it every single day to build up a tolerance, but its always the same thing. Sure, i managed to sit down and get my work done but when the work is done and school done for the day you feel strange, like not in your own skin. A tutor is the best thing that has happened to me along with b12 vitamins.”

greenclouds · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2018

For ADHD: “My dose of focalin is 10 MG. A few hours after taking it, I start to feel very depressed and down like I can't do anything at all. Makes me feel like I'm going to throw up, feel tired, and have to go poop a lot from it.”

Anonymous September 13, 2008

For ADHD: “I started taking this medication 1 month ago and have had absolutely no ill effects from it. My first worry was not being able to sleep once I heard the word "stimulant". Not an early riser I set my alarm clock to go off at 6AM just to take the pill! Now I am taking it much later and have absolutely no ill effects. Seem to have more energy, sleep better and starting to get some things accomplished instead of dabbling in two or three different things.”

happycustomer April 20, 2009

For ADHD: “This medication has been a God send in some ways. I am an adult executive that suffers from ADD/ADHD and I use the XR version of this on an as needed basis, usually when I have lots of mundane paper work to get through that would never otherwise get done due to my lack of ability to naturally focus on tasks like that.”

Mommy_April November 6, 2008

For ADHD: “My 7 year old who has had epilepsy since age 1 was diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago. We recently started him on Focalin XR as his first form of treatment. A little afraid of the side effects because he has had severe side effects in the past from various seizure medicines, but once we found the right seizure medicine for him he's been seizure free. Our next task was of finding an ADHD medicine that would work well with the seizure medicine -this was a bit frightening. He's been on Focalin for about a month and it really is a wonder drug. I have a goal in life to keep my kids off drugs, but I've accepted that some medicines are needed in children. This stuff is a blessing to my family and most importantly to my son.”

Anonymous January 28, 2018

For ADHD: “My 13 year old daughter was switched to focalin after a few days the feelings of sadness, anxiety, and sleeplessness caused her not to be able to deal with it and she tried to commit suicide. If you read up on this medicine the FDA is asking for that to become one of the side effect warnings for this medication. My daughter was placed in a behavioral center that could help her and she has not took anymore ADHD medication since that day. She told me (her mom) I will never do that again but that medicine made me feel so sad and my thoughts weren't my own. Never again will my daughter take this medication or anything for ADHD!”

adhd · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2019

For ADHD: “I switched to Focalin after taking Adderall XR for about 5 years. Adderall XR worked but I thought that there must be something better, so my doctor put me on Focalin. Today has been my third day on the new medication and I feel awful. As someone who has acid reflux, Focalin worsened by heart burn and caused me to gag every 10 minutes for no reason. Folcalin barely helped me focus during my class and I couldn't drive because of how weak I was and how much I shook. This medicine has given me diarrhea and constant headaches. Needless to say I will be going back to Adderall XR.”

NB9217 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 31, 2014

For ADHD: “My 6.5 year old son has been taking this medicine for over a year. A few months after taking it, we switched him to Ritalin but the Ritalin made his behavior crazy. I don't have much to complain about this medicine. Any ADHD medication is going to make your child zombie-like. My son takes 10MG XR in the morning and I can literally see the switch in his personality in about 10 minutes. He is supposed to take 5mg non extended release after school, however, I hardly give that to him anymore. I sometimes break the 5mg pill in half and just have him take 2.5mg to focus on his homework, if I see him struggling. We just had his medication reduced to 5MG in the morning, 2.5 after lunch and 2.5 later in the afternoon - waiting to see how this works out.”

gabbyc2013 March 29, 2014

For ADHD: “I have been on Focalin XR 10 mg for a week now and it seems to be pretty good. I have ADHD/ADD and I was on Vyvanse but it made me very moody and also made me drop 20 pounds in two months. Also noticed impulses on that medication. Focalin seems to be different I feel a bit zombish but I feel its not an issue. And I also have somewhat of an appetite. I feel much more focused.”

lizzieg4 October 28, 2007

For ADHD: “I just started taking Focalin, 5mg. the long acting type a week ago for ADHD. My doctor assures me that the drug should be out of my system within 6-7 hours if that and I should have no problem falling asleep. I take th medication at 7:30 in the morning and don't try to fall asleep until 11pm that night but to no avail I can't sleep. This is definately scaring me. I feel I'm developing insomina...maybe I should discontinue use even though it helps with my ADHD.”

Anonymous October 13, 2010

For ADHD: “My son started Focalin 10mg about 3 weeks ago. He does great in school but I have noticed when Focalin wears off his moods explode. He gets aggravated at the drop of a pin. He has also told me his stomach hurts all the time.”

MonsterHair · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 23, 2017

For ADHD: “I take the smallest dose of 5 mg Focalin XR. I've been on the same dosage for years now. I find it's like a small cup of coffee in how stimulating it is. I find that is also has a side benefit of being a mood stabilizer as well. It also helps me with my mild OCD behaviors, which I notice as the meds wear off. I never noticed my OCD before, but as it wears off, I do now, and can at least be aware of them when I'm not on my meds. I've accidentally taken 2 pills before, and it felt like my head was floating above my body. Strange, and not recommended. Also, don't go for the big dose right away.”

am · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2020

For ADHD: “Pros: Helps my focus and relieves other ADHD symptoms. Did not decrease my appetite, create hyperfocus, or put me to sleep like Adderall did. Cons: Nausea, jaw tension, can't eat much at once. Feels pretty bad when it wears off (shaky, cold, weak, heart pounding, shortness of breath). Probably going to discontinue this med. The cons aren't worth it, unfortunately.”

MarylandUser January 30, 2016

For ADHD: “I have taken a number of ADHD medications starting around 6th or 7th grade to help with school. I tried Vyvanse, Concerta, Ritalin, and Focalin. Focalin by far has been my favorite. When on Focalin I could crank out work and was very effective. While many people complain about the lack of hunger you feel, this was almost a plus to me because it gave me one less thing to distract me. The only negative that I experienced was sometimes feeling detached, lonely, or on the verge of tears. They were not severe but did occur. I still loved this brand the most of all of the brands I had tried but unfortunately, our insurance stopped covering Focalin and I switched back to Ritalin which is where I am at now.”

Anonymous March 11, 2009

For ADHD: “My 6 year old grandson has been on Focalin for 2 months. We noticed an immediate behavior change in that he has so much more focused in school, less outbursts and getting daily "Perfect Day" behavior charts. He is so much happier now and although we are still watching, we haven't seen any side effects.”

Charis1234 December 14, 2014

For ADHD: “My 7yo son has had ADHD since he was a toddler. He started taking ADHD meds at the age of 3-- three months before turning 4. He was already threatened to be taken out of preschool for his behavior. He's always had an I don't care attitude, very destructive unintentionally, couldn't even sit down to watch any TV show longer than 5 minutes. We had the hardest time finding a punishment that he actually feared until a therapist gave us 1-2-3 magic to watch--it worked! We started him on Vyvanse, but he had 6 side effects from it. He got switched to Focalin as he grew he's now switched to Focalin XR and now up to 40mg in the morning and at lunch 5mg to get him through the day. We love it, but it doesn't last long.”

Anonymous May 13, 2011

For ADHD: “My 7 yr old has been on Focalin for 5 weeks with no side effects. His teacher noticed a difference in him on the FIRST day which amazed me. I didn't even have a chance to tell her he was taking it and she commented that he was more focused, better behaved, etc. So far, it's been great!”