User Reviews for Focalin

Learn more about Focalin.

Focalin Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Focalin to treat ADHD

"I just started taking it for two day and I hate it the first day I started twitching and shaking and my stomach felt so uncomfortable.the second day it felt worse I had a dry throat, uncomfortable stomach, less twitching , I felt so useless. The worst thing about it was a post to make me focus and it does not even help. I just hate how I have to lie about how I feel - I say I'm ok but I'm so for from being ok."

A kid (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Don started taking Focalin and started to complain that he could not see the board at school. At first I figured well maybe he is just a kid who needs glasses. His prescription was very low. Now a year and a half later his principal from his school called me because he failed the state eye test with his glasses on he has a 20/50 vision. So I took him back to the doctor and they could not correct his vision with the strongest prescription. Everything is blurry and out of focus, he lost all peripheral vision on both eyes. The doctors first question was "What medication is he on?" So I advised him Focalin 10mg. He advised me to immediately go to the doctor who prescribed it because it is a severe side effect of Focalin. Grrrr"

Mom that's worried (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son is now going on 9 we started out with adderall 5mg XR at age 5... as he got older we adjusted and went to 5mg twice a day, however!! There were massive side effects with the Adderall mainly moods anger frustration among many others that I noticed at the age of seven we then started Focalin , however when we started the Focalin my son was put on a 20 mg dose to start extended release capsule he took the medication went to school and every day after lunch when the second those kicked in he would constantly have massive rage massive hallucination massive amounts of itching breakouts among other things..... The 20 mg XR was way to strong for him. We downgraded to a 10mg XR with a 2.5mg immediate release for back. Best decision we've made"

Trini7429 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son(11) was put on 10mg of Focalin for ADHD. We have been trying different meds to treat his ADHD without making his anxiety/trichotillomania worse. This med by far was the worse! It did seem to help at school for focus, but he had extreme rage issues. It got so bad that we called the police to find out what our options were if he were to actually hurt us or his little sister. He never hurt us, but did break a window, the screen door, and throw objects. Needless to say, we stopped the meds and thankfully we have our sweet son back (although he can't focus and is annoying to other kids in his class). Please beware of mood changes with this drug."

TrekMom0909 December 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I waited a couple of months before I wrote a review because I wanted to make sure it worked. My son, 7yrs old, has been on focal for 3 months. He is doing wonders with it. It helps him stay grounded to get all his daily tasks done and his concentration in school has been awarded by teachers and peers. The only issue is loss of appetite which in turned made him loose 13 pounds in 3 months. With the help of his pediatrician and the staff at the school were on top of him now with a high protein diet and snacks throughout the day."

Great but watch weight loss (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 20 years old and I've been taking focalin for a year now. I have been on every ADHD medication under the sun since I was in second grade and this is the only medication that helped me get on track right away. The only adverse side effects I experience are a faster heart rate (most ADHD meds do that) and trouble sleeping. If you are having trouble sleeping on this drug here's what you do and here's what I did: prior to now, I was taking my medication at 11am or 10am. Often I would spend nights awake and panicky just begging for sleep to come. This is a simple fix. Just wake yourself up at like 6am every day to take it and you shouldn't have any problem sleeping. That's what I did and I sleep very soundly."

Snow Edmisten November 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son was so hyper that he couldn't even sit still to eat. I would like to respond to the person who questioned her thin 6 year old being put on this medicine. My son was actually able to put on some weight as he was able to focus and finish his meals. Within a year he was at a normal weight for his height. My son's doctor was able to explain that people with ADD or ADHD do not abuse this drug because it has the opposite affect on them than people without the disorder."

Jenny Ann October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Best thing out there for my son that is now 10 years old. We have tried several others medicine with no help. Thank God for focal in he is a new boy!"

Mom of Clifford September 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

". I'm currently 15 yrs old and and this is the second add/adhd meds I've been on. In highschool I feel that it's very important to succeed. Due to me going untreated for my entire childhood, I dropped out. I'm back in school now and it's been 2 years. If it gets to the point where you want to drop out I suggest add medication. But if you have a 3-10 year old I highly don't suggest it. When my brother was 4-7/8 he was on it. He would always try to kill me and my mother. He would hurt animals and kids at school. He was quiet and had no emotion or expression. Tried to kill himself many times. To this day he is now 18 and 5'8 when he is supposed to be over 6ft because our genes. Highly do not recommend unless this is the last resort for a child"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Im 17 years old and I've taken Focalin Xr 30mg for most of my life and as much as it helps in school i would not recommend taking this at all, like most people with adhd I am pretty good socially and when I'm on focalin i become very pannicky, you cant eat and for me i feel like pukigg if i try to eat, my body becomes achy and my mouth gets really dry and mucusy, sleeping is a nightmare, I have tried to make this work, even took it every single day to build up a tolerance, but its always the same thing. Sure, i managed to sit down and get my work done but when the work is done and school done for the day you feel strange, like not in your own skin. A tutor is the best thing that has happened to me along with b12 vitamins."

Ihatefocalin August 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My sixteen year old son began taking 15mg of the generic Focalin and had great results, unfortunately the side effects are beginning to bother him after one year of successfully taking the medicine. It seems the gastrointestinal issues are making him weary and he has asked to discontinue the medicine despite the stellar grades. Hoping a switch to a lower dose may work."

MomRom June 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 7 year old son started taking focalin xr 5 in December after I had him tested for what I was sure going to be asperges. Turns out he was suffering from ADHD...he is currently on 15 mg xr and I can honestly say for him it is a miracle drug. He went from not being able to read and barely writing his name to reading whole books...he also went from making 20's and 30's on spelling test to averaging 90, we even had 2 100's. He has lost some weight but right now is still average so it is not much of a concern."

Macky Mack April 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

" I Have Struggled with adhd for 10yrs an finally my doc did something about it:) However I did have sleeping problems for first few weeks but that was expected with it being a stimulant but after a month or so my sleeping is back to normal and my mind is not spinning out of control so THANKS DOC! "

nateman25 April 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been off and on focallin XR 10mg debating weather I like it or not, I HATE IT. It increases my attention by a little bit. I like the loss of appetite because I need to cut down on eating and this does it for me. But it is not worth it. 7 hours of school (9th grade) the whole day was terrible. I was scared about nothing and constantly had fear through the whole day, apparently feelings of crying is very common. I can't talk to anyone either. I get so scared that I'm gonna mess up somehow talking to someone that I studder and over explain and in the end just make things more confusing. This is just not for me"

Swim_ April 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is not a joke. I literally took this medicine at 2:30pm and started having a panic attack at the library and had to leave. it is now 10:30pm and I just texted my sorority group chat asking if there was an earthquake because I literally felt the entire house shaking. My body is reacting so terribly to this medicineIi do not recommend taking this at all. Now my entire sorority thinks I am crazy."

MAConCRACK February 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken a number of ADHD medications starting around 6th or 7th grade to help with school. I tried Vyvanse, Concerta, Ritalin, and Focalin. Focalin by far has been my favorite. When on Focalin I could crank out work and was very effective. While many people complain about the lack of hunger you feel, this was almost a plus to me because it gave me one less thing to distract me. The only negative that I experienced was sometimes feeling detached, lonely, or on the verge of tears. They were not severe but did occur. I still loved this brand the most of all of the brands I had tried but unfortunately, our insurance stopped covering Focalin and I switched back to Ritalin which is where I am at now."

MarylandUser January 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6yrs old. He is 7 and in 2nd grade now. After thinking long and hard about meds for him I decided to put him on at the start of the new year. I do not like it. He takes 10 mg a day and I see no change. Things seems to be worse. Still hyper, not focused, frustrated easily, crying easily and more talkative. After a week the nurse at the dr. Office said to give it some time to work and try it for 2wks. I did and still no change. His teacher sees no improvement in school and I don't see it at home. As soon as the 2 wks was up in stopped. He complained about stomach aches and as of today his teacher notices ticks with him and I see the same thing at home. I'm done with Folican. It's not for my son."

MyAidan (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Experienced zombie like state, very hostile, constant headache, felt a feeling of sadness come over me and wanted to cry randomly. I talk with my doc. who told me to decrease my dosage but I still had these effects. On to something else."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love how it makes you more focused on one thing. But it has too many bad things to it. First you have loss of hunger for a longer period of time. Then you get this bad stomach feeling like barely fainting or puking. Your muscles start to twitch and you annoying and hostile. I also feel like crying at random points and is pretty emberassing."

Ricky-__ December 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have no insurance and currently back in school for counseling, social worker.... lets say Human Resources. I am 34 years old, can't get insurance with parents, I'm way over 25! I clean homes and babysit to get extra cash for gas and needs and thankfully my parents have extra rooms, also luckily I have no kids. Was getting my 70mg Vyvanse meds paid all for with card, but after renewing was denied due to couldn't read Dr's last name and no proof of income..have none. Was currently taking 30mg Adderall 2x per day, Dr. wanted to try this and luckily about same price, now the Adderall is now half as much, so I must sacrifice. This medicine is by far the best medication I have found for my condition. May just have to pay more for this, best!!!"

ADD,very best med. yet! (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 4 yo started taking focalin today..5mg.. she is higher than a kite.. she talks incessantly.. she is licking her chin.. she is having mouth ticks..she is sweating and scratching her face and arms..her heart is beating so fast and is crying too. She will NEVER take this med again.. ADHD is easier than this. It has been nearly 6 hrs and it is still going strong. I can't get anything done for fear of taking my eyes off her. I would give it a 0 but wasn't an option."

gijoemp127 October 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Im a 17 year old girl and focalin was the first medication I ever used to treat my ADHD. It was the worst! Like many others, I felt extremely anxious. I also constantly would feel unattached to the world. Even worse, it didn't even help me focus! I was too busy having overwhelming feelings of anxiety to be focused. However, I wouldn't say you shouldn't try this medication as it seems to work for others. I just know that if you feel any sense of anxiety, it's abnormal. I'm on vyvanse now and I have no problems with anxiety. Just a few minor symptoms, but it works great."

George Washington September 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am an 18 year old female with ADHD and my doctor just switched me from vyvanse 30mg to taking focalin 10mg XR and I absolutely hate it. Vyvanse worked for me but would make me bite my lip often in class which was very odd, but something I could work with...Focalin makes me socially anxious (keep in mind I am the most social and extroverted girl), jittery, and worry about random things. I am going to doctor tomorrow after taking it for 2 days and going back to vyvanse."

sugargirl66 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Focalin XR for the past 6 years and it worked well. This past year it hasn't worked for as long as it used to. It wears off about 1."

Sgm January 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 7yo son has had ADHD since he was a toddler. He started taking ADHD meds at the age of 3-- three months before turning 4. He was already threatened to be taken out of preschool for his behavior. He's always had an I don't care attitude, very destructive unintentionally, couldn't even sit down to watch any TV show longer than 5 minutes. We had the hardest time finding a punishment that he actually feared until a therapist gave us 1-2-3 magic to watch--it worked! We started him on Vyvanse, but he had 6 side effects from it. He got switched to Focalin as he grew he's now switched to Focalin XR and now up to 40mg in the morning and at lunch 5mg to get him through the day. We love it, but it doesn't last long."

Charis1234 December 14, 2014