User Reviews for Focalin to treat ADHD

Focalin has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 90 ratings for the treatment of ADHD. 47% of those users who reviewed Focalin reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Focalin Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

14% 13
9% 8
13% 12

Reviews for Focalin

MB · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2021

“10mg focalin once a day, I feel shaky and cold after taking it. Very angry, moody, depressed often after it stops working. It helps my focus but not the hyperactivity. Decreased appetite so I try to eat before taking it. Anyone else experiencing these symptoms and found another med that has worked for them?”

Pancake · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2021

“Just went on this drug recently and I have taken other ADHD medication. Focalin makes me feel extremely anxious and weak. I have never experienced this with any other ADHD medication. It makes me feel like I can only sit in one area and do nothing. It doesn’t help my focus ability and ability to complete tasks.”

Fajita · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2021

“I was on focalin when it was in the trial stages many years ago and I loved it. I finally was able to eat and enjoy eating for the first time since I was diagnosed with ADHD at 5. It then hit the market and wasn’t covered by insurance so I stopped taking it because I didn’t want my parents to pay the EXTREMELY high monthly payments for the daily dose. I have now been on it for a couple months again as a 23 year old adult and I love it. I feel like I have my life back. My anxiety has decreased. My concentration is amazing, and I feel organized again. My insurance covers the 2x day dosage.”

H January 6, 2021

“I took focalin for 2 days and it immediately put me into the deepest darkest depression I’ve ever experienced. It barely helped with my focus, the little help it did offer wore off in a couple hours. Definitely not worth the depression it caused.”

CactusAdd · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 5, 2021

“Helps with focus but my anxiety has increased tenfold”

Gretchen · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2020

“I’ve taken focalin once a few years ago and again just recently. Both times it made me very tired, to the point where I often have to take a nap 45 minutes after taking it because I’m so tired! I’ve never had this happen with any other ADHD medication except Focalin. It only helped my ADHD symptoms a tiny bit, but the side effects weren’t worth it and both times I switched meds. Besides feeling truly tired (not “crash” tired, actually like a I have to sleep) the other side effects I got from this medication: ear pressure, fast heartbeat, and ringing in ears.”

BP · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 15, 2020

“I have been prescribed this for around 4 years now for my pretty bad ADHD which has affected my life in many ways. I must say I have never ever liked taking this but I had to every school day. It helps me kind of focus but it makes me feel terrible as though everything really annoys me, when taking this even talking irritates me and no matter what variation I take it always has the same annoying/negative effects with only a few positive effects.”

Cherry · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 10, 2020

“I took focalin as a kid and it worked, but it messed me up. I had an erratic and unhealthy sleep schedule, I became anorexic and never ended up ending my anorexia even after I stopped taking it. A lot more happened that I don’t want to go into but I do NOT recommend it”

:) · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 9, 2020

“Like all ADHD medicines there are side effects. But Focalin is the one with the least side effects that is an affordable price. The few side effects experience are heightened heart rate but I believe this is due to my breathing so once I take a few deep breaths I am no longer short on breath and my heart rate goes back down. I really appreciate the no hyper focus that I got on generic adderall and brand adderall”

Ry · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2020

“I'm on Focalin 10mg twice a day. I'm shaky and cold after I take it, my appetite is down, and my heart is beating way too fast. I feel relatively blank, I'm tired, but have a hard time sleeping. I used to sleep between 9 or 10pm then wake up around 7-8 am, now if I'm lucky I go to sleep at 11pm or 12pm and wake up at 6am. I rarely sleep through the night, and I'm anxious and agitated all the time. I'm also on prozac (20mg) and maybe they're clashing. It does help with paying attention, I can focus on things long enough for them to register, but I feel worse than I did before I started it.”

Jackson · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 17, 2020

“I've been reading some comments and they make a lot of sense. Focalin along with pretty much everyone of the ADHD medicines are powerful stimulants. I would think children should be put on this and others like it only in extreme circumstances. Its help change my life for the better. The pros out weigh the cons for me no question.”

G · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 16, 2020

“Focalin does what it is supposed to but.. this medication makes my heart beat fast and also makes me super nervous and agitated all the time. I hate this medication. It makes me feel like a zombie and it makes me feel cold all over. The worst part is that I can barely eat without feeling sick and that it makes me constantly shake. This medication also makes my mood stoop to a terrible and very low level. After it wears off I feel weak, tired, cold, and nauseous.”

Graciehockey15 · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2020

“Today is my first day on Foclin 5MG. I am 19 years old and have had ADHD and anxiety my whole life. I was on 50 mg of Adderall and switched to Concerta from second - eighth grade. Adderall was one of the worst experiences of my life. I remember not being able to eat and having no friends so I would eat in the Special Ed study hall and would basically be a walking zombie, I always told my mom my stomach hurt and would have diarrhea constantly. I was skinny and had good grades though. So 10 years later I am back on ADHD medication as I am back in college and am having a hard time focusing. I only started the 5MG of Focalin but already notice that I am calmer, my mind isn't racing, I can process thoughts, and more. I haven't felt calm like this in years... I really hope the medication stays well because I am so sick of being on meds that make me lose weight, than gain weight. It all stinks!”

am · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2020

“Pros: Helps my focus and relieves other ADHD symptoms. Did not decrease my appetite, create hyperfocus, or put me to sleep like Adderall did. Cons: Nausea, jaw tension, can't eat much at once. Feels pretty bad when it wears off (shaky, cold, weak, heart pounding, shortness of breath). Probably going to discontinue this med. The cons aren't worth it, unfortunately.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 31, 2020

“Focalin just makes you irritable and tired all the time doesn't even make you pay attention”

Student · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 17, 2020

“I’ve been taking focalin ever since my junior year of high school, I’m now a junior in college. When I started taking it I was on 15 mg extended release and 10mg regular . No side effects other than some sweating and just the medicine helping me focus and doing what it was supposed to. It seems that the longer I’ve taken it the worse the symptoms got. I now still sweat when taking it along with nausea (used to be occasional but it’s getting very frequent now) vomiting, and extreme frequent urge to go to the bathroom (”

A kiddo - 13 May 21, 2020

“I’m scrolling through reviews and a lot of what I’ve been feeling recently is starting to make sense - this medicine helps me focus but I feel weak and awful while on it. It makes me shake and my anxiety spikes I’ve also been having some depression issues - my moods stoop to a terrible level and I’ve been in such a dark place at some points. This medicine makes me feel like a zombie, it makes me shake and feel sick to my stomach I feel bad for any other kids taking this It helps me focus but makes me feel awful I absolutely DREAD having to take them I have experienced depersonalization, depression, major mood swings, anxiety, derealization, and suicidal tendencies after getting on this medication I am not self diagnosing for anxiety and depression I strongly advise watching your kids before and after having them take these pills- Make sure your child is safe and happy. I’m sorry for my terrible grammar and typing skills-”

kat · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2020

“Focalin 40 mg XR. I found that that this medication was mostly ineffective. If anything it has an initial kick and wears off extremely fast. I thought it would be like adderall xr which I could feel the effects come and go throughout the day at 30 mg. With focalin its just one burst of euphoria/adrenaline/ and then you crash and feel nothing except for the physical side effects like chest pain, rapid heart beat, muscle tenseness. I took a nap 2.5 hours after taking it which is ridiculous. It is frustrating because you don't feel the sense of focus that adderall gives. I only took it for two days before I called it quits because I did not see a benefit and decided to go back to adderall 20 mg IR. This medication did not suit me as a 27 year old grad student. I felt anxiety and panic attack symptoms with the second dose I took and I did not want to continue. It actually had a negative impact on my work input for those two days.”

Idk · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 11, 2020

“Focalin make my hand and stomach numb and cause a tired feeling and a meh feeling and see if feeling but everyone says it helps me”

Biodigitaljazzman · Taken for 10 years or more March 26, 2020

“To start off, I would not recommend taking this drug Focalin unless absolutely necessary. It definitely helped me pay attention in school, and there was a noticeable difference between days I did take it, and days I did not. However, for me at least, the side-effects outweighed the benefits. I'd been on it from the ages of 7-17, and throughout those years I noticed a complete change in behavior. Muted emotions, loss of appetite, depression, insomnia. I paid more attention in school, sure, but all of those years I'd lost important emotional development time. It's only after being off of this drug for 5 years that I realize just how emotionally stunted it had made me over the years. I'm in college now, and admittedly it would help me get better grades. But I wouldn't take it again if someone paid me to do it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

“This medicine made my son so sick. He became anorexic and very nauseous. It made him very aggressive and we had to take him off it.”

Coco channel 4 February 16, 2020

“My son 12 years old and in 7th grade. He was tested for ADD in 3rd grade by using the Quotient testing system which showed that he did not have it. Clinical signs were there. We tried low dosage 5-7mg of vyvanse, Adderall, Quanfacine. The worst 2 years of his life. He did not have problems with good grades to begin with but just could not focus at school or home. That landed him in more trouble with the teachers. Took him off for 5th and 6th grade. 7th grade has been a nightmare. Grades for the first time were horrible and ALL 6 teachers said he can’t focus and they became aggravated but not because he was disrespectful but cause they were tired of redirecting him. So back to the dr we go 2nd semester. They put him on focalin xr and. Wow what a difference. He has bumped up to 10mg. He can tell the difference himself. He said mom I kinda felt like a genius today instead of saying I can’t do it, it’s to hard. Focalin has the least amount of side effects by far.”

Mom of adhd kids · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2020

“I am a Mum of 2 kids with ADHD. They used to take vyvanse it work awesome for a while but then they couldn't sleep at night and it started making their ADHD worse they can't even watch a five min show, they are fighting in public, they'd run off hit me scream have tantrums and one of my son's broke a vase at walmart . Now one takes focalin other ritalin and the son on focalin is a lot nicer I can rest now I can manage them. If they don't take it it's a hard day for all of us”

The Fantastical Poodle Plunger October 22, 2019

“45 year old male with depression and ADD. I started with Focalin 20mg XR once a day, then 5 years later my doc added a regular 10mg dose in the afternoon. This has been a fantastic medicine for me. Would not be able to perform at work without it. Two negative side effects (but the benefits outweigh them): 1) Intestinal discomfort and bowel movement like clock work about 60-90 minutes after I take it in the morning. I have to avoid scheduling meetings for that time. 2) “meth dick” or “meth penis” which basically is caused by reduced blood flow to appendages. Get cold hands and feet too. Luckily it doesn’t impact size of erection since blood is flowing then. It’s just ego bruising when shrinkage occurs. On the weekends I skip the 20mg dose and take 10mg around noon so I don’t have to take two doses, also giving my body and brain a rest from the stimulant. My appendages feel warmer too. But I am happy my doc prescribed this to me. Absolutely huge life changer for me.”

Ali · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 4, 2019

“Please please do not use focalin if you have depression or anxiety, or prone to addiction. I have severe ADD and I was prescribed focalin 2 years ago. When I would come down off of it, it made me so unbearably sad and near suicidal so I would take more just to not kill myself. This led to a severe addiction that nearly gave me brain damage. Please be safe. Good grades aren’t worth the pain this drug put me through.”