User Reviews for Adderall to treat Narcolepsy

Adderall has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 55 ratings for the treatment of Narcolepsy. 80% of those users who reviewed Adderall reported a positive effect, while 5% reported a negative effect.

Adderall Rating Summary

8.4/10 average rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Narcolepsy.

Reviews for Adderall

Decaf920 January 6, 2021

“I was diagnosed with a severe case of narcolepsy about a year ago. I always thought it was my chronic fatigue that made me feel so sleepy all the time. I was finally referred to a sleep specialist who ordered a night and day time sleep study. When I received the results he told me I was a very sleepy person, his worst case in many years. I have been taking 20MG Adderall 3x a day. It does help but I'm still extremely tired throughout the day. The sleep doctor advised me in September that there's a newer medication that can be added to my Adderall but insurance didn't like to approve it and that in 6 months hopefully it will be easier to prescribe. I've seen somewhere that 60MG a day is the max for treating ADHD but that 90MG is the max for treating narcolepsy. I'm curious if that dose would improve my symptoms. Overall I'm happy with the medication as I never notice any side effects. I just want to feel more awake and less sleepy.”

Suthernkimby November 25, 2020

“Adderall worked well for a year then it wore off even with medication free holidays. When trying a new medication and stopping I didn’t realize how out of breath it was making me, I thought it was because I was fat.”

jjhoff · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 10, 2020

“I was switched to Adderall but after 2 years switched to Ritalin. Adderall seems to open up parts of your brain best left closed. I started to see a 12 year old boy in the yard during the day he would be gone when I went to talk with him. My neighbors told me that in the 1970s he died here. You have to watch the dosage”

trinehundop3 · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 12, 2020

“Generic Adderall is not the same. I feel immediately awful when I realize they switched me to generic dextro amp (amp salts works not sure what brand. I heard Teva might have moved distribution centres and have been alternating approved cheaper alternative ingredients. Well guess what they don’t work AT ALL. Check the generic brands when you get your script filled and see how you feel. The old generic brand I took worked just fine. I cannot get out of bed for weeks because whatever “similar” generic cheap alternatives they are using do not make the cut. Welcome back debilitating fatigue!”

Laura January 5, 2020

“I have #IdiopathicHypersomnia & #narcolepsy. Not all generics are equal 1. #Corepharma works 2. Oval, peach #Teva does not 3. Teva started carrying same dark pink, round IR as #Corepharma 4. In 2018 Teva selling the oval, peach again 5. I filled the Rx with #Sandoz (round, peach) worked almost as well 6. Corepharma was purchased by #Epic. 7. I have been relying on Sandoz since 2018 Every month I have to call pharmacies see if Sandoz is in stock. Usually they don't have it & can't to order it. #JewelOsco is the ONLY pharmacy that places orders for me. Today (01/05/2020), JewelOsco does not have any & unable to place an order; the supplier is out & the date available is TBD Has anyone tried #Northstar? How does it compare to Sandoz? How is the pharmaceutical industry allowed to do this? If anyone reading this can point me in the direction to hold pharmaceutical companies legally accountable, please comment *Aurobino does not work for me #NarcolepsyDiscrimination”

MP · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2020

“This medicine is god send. I have been suffering with narcolepsy for about 5 years. Had no idea what I was doing wrong that I cannot keep my eye open. I am talking about sleeping for 8-9 hours and then waking up and wanting to go back to sleep. I am a public school teacher and I had no choice but to be at work all day. That was a struggle and I was embarrassed to even tell my coworkers. This summer, so many unpleasant events happened in my life, I decided to talk to my psychiatrist about unable to concentrate and the excessive sleeping pattern. He wanted me to try adderall and bam!! I haven’t taken a nap since August . I do not have any side effects, not glittery, no overworking , nothing. Just ready to start the day and get in with my life. I usually go to bed around 9:30pm and sleeps well. I take 20 mg twice a day. But if you miss a dose, back to square one. I am religiously on a schedule and take them at the same time everyday. I am in my mid 40’s.”

K November 20, 2019

“I was diagnosed with a sleep disorder/excessive daytime sleepiness and my physician prescribed me Adderall. After I found the dose that worked best for me (30mg in the morning and 10-20mg in the afternoon) I felt like a new person. I usually sleep anywhere from 12-18 hours a day when I don’t have classes or work (I don’t have to force myself up on these days with 2 alarms). I can still nap but they are not nearly as long as they used to be (3-8 hours). My grades have improved and most importantly, my attendance of class has improved! I used to sleep through class, but now I can go because my body isn’t begging for sleep. Overall it is an extremely helpful drug to treat narcolepsy/excessive daytime sleepiness. I finally feel like I have my life back! My only complaint is the dry mouth I experience every so often. I also still feel rather tired some days but it is not as NEAR as torturous as it used to be. Overall, it is extremely helpful and it has changed my life for the better.”

Worse drug brand Teva · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2019

“I have been on D-Amphetamine Salt Combo, 30mg a day for a few months for narcolepsy and actually did great. But I recently picked up another prescription and noticed this brand is called Teva generic brand. I have noticed for 2 weeks I have became irritated, forgetting easily in what I was looking for or talking about, aggressive outbursts, stomach pain, migraines, generalist not feeling good on this brand. I will be complaining over this!”

won2bfree July 27, 2009

“This may be a little long so I hope you took your medicines today, LOL. this is my 3rd month on Adderall and it is absolutely a miracle drug for me. I have suffered with extreme fatigue and excessive sleepiness since I was a teenager, I'm 38 now. My doctors have tried me on everything from sleeping pills, to antidepressants, nothing worked. A friend suggested Adderall, I researched it, talked to my doctor about it and we tried Provigil first, which did help, but I was still falling asleep driving, reading, etc. Switched to Adderall. I was so happy I nearly cried when I was telling my doctor how much better I feel. I wish I would have tried this years ago.”

Jwright7784 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2019

“Adderall works exceptionally well for me with one caveat. Don't believe for one bit that all generics are the same. Before filling your script call around and find out which brands the pharmacies carry. If it's Mallinckrodt find another pharmacy to fill at. I can take any brand of Adderall and it works for me without many side effects EXCEPT Mallinckrodt. I don't know what they do to their pills but they make me sick. They give me a severe headache, extreme nausea and abdominal pain. If you look online you will see that other people report the same. So shop around for something other than Mallinckrodt. Good luck.”

AwakeWill April 14, 2014

“It makes a huge difference in my day! I hate having to take something everyday to stay awake and alert but better then living in the fog I was in the past 8 years of my life (6 of which I didn't even notice they were side effects of something bigger haha.) Things you may notice while taking Adderall with narcolepsy, 1.You are stop being a shut in 2. You actually start calling your friends to do something instead of getting harassed till you finally cave and do something. 3. You're better at work and all of a sudden care about your job. 4. You are grinding your jaw. 5. Stop grinding your jaw. and finally 6. Work with your doctor for the right dosage! There will be a bit of dancing between cracked out and half asleep till you find it.”

Fogwalker August 19, 2018

“Adderral has given me some of my life back. I can tell you this for certain. Without it I was lost and on the brink of suicide. Now I can be a father, husband and most important a normal human being again! I take 20 mg, 3xs a day. It is still not enough to keep me from napping twice a day before 5pm, but it helps. I still feel as if I’m in a fog for most of my morning and afternoon, but at least I'm not worried of crashing my car or falling asleep on the job. Personally I have not suffered side effects. My blood pressure is very good, I don’t get jitters, and the medicine actually calms me tremendously. Without it I was simply a mess! If you even think you may suffer from Narcolepsy, take this medicine. I can’t say that enough. Take it, and find some happiness again!”

Drkatzjr27 · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 12, 2017

“The efficacy of Adderall in any condition that you take it over is dependent upon the quality of the generic brand that your pharmacy carries. Although a pharmacist will not want to tell you this, a generic product can vary plus or -20% variation from the brand-name drug. This was A result of the Hatch-Waxman Act. Moreover, and most disturbingly, only the generic company itself knows The results that they conducted and required for a generic manufacturer to manufacturer a generic drug require Bioequivalency testing. However, they, and I emphasize "They" because it is only the generic company itself that conducts the test and knows the results besides the FDA. Only the generic firm and the FDA knows the exact test results. Research different generic reviews, because this makes all the difference in your experience with generic Adderall IR”

Biote · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 11, 2013

“I've been on adderall for six months for narcolepsy. It has given me a life back. It has helped my severe daytime sleepiness by about 80 %. There are times if I'm really really tired that I can tell the med doesnt help. But mostly it is excellent. The only thing I don't like about it is the crash after the med wears off. I can tell a huge difference. And it is also disappointing that I have to take meds to stay awake each day. But overall, I would say I'm very thankful for it.”

we3reeds · Taken for 10 years or more February 13, 2015

“I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy 1990. They started me on Ritalin, which did not work for me. Then Dexedrine. It did work but caused a lot of tension in neck shoulder back in the evenings. Then Provigil, Nuvigil. I have settled on Adderall, it wakes me in the morning and keeps me awake in the afternoon. It's a God send.”

Davis · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 7, 2019

“I'm 72 years old and was having problems maintaining concentration and focus. Kind of like ADHD, but instead of being hyperactive, I was falling asleep. Doctor gave me 5mg of Adderall once a day. Seemed to help a little, and after a couple months, I started taking 10mg 1xday. Works much better. I have not noticed any particular side effects. They say it helps with weight loss, but not for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 9, 2018

“I have had Narcolepsy for 25 years, 5 of those years I went undiagnosed, another 5 figuring out a treatment that worked for me. Initially, treated with Ritalin and developed a tolerance. Tried non-amphetamines and they did absolutely nothing! Then started Adderall, I had become a new person again, had a life. Able to hold conversations, cook a meal, and drive a car again, all without falling asleep! I was even able to work and have been working for the past 15 years. The dosage increased over a period of time, but for the past 9 years I have been on 180 mg per day and it has controlled my Narcolepsy without any side effects or need to increase the levels.”

artmuffin · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 25, 2012

“I am a 69 year old female who has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since I was in my 30's. The CFS came long after the FMS but Adderall 20 mg 3 x's daily has made my life bearable, enabled me to stay awake, boosted my energy (I also have Hashimoto's disease - hypothyroid) and has provided me with a feeling of normalcy. I see my doctor every 3 months for blood work and medical care. Got a new script today but insurance wants a pre-authorization which will take 3-4 days and I am out of this medication. Guess it will be a sleepy weekend coming up! Adderall rocks!”

Logan · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2019

“I read a lot about this drug and it is hard to find anything about the side effects I have gotten. So I have taken Adderall XR 10mg (once in the morning) Just for a few days now. The first time was amazing and I actually had a road trip to take that day and I drove a whole 12 hours with no problems! That is really good considering I need a nap just an hour after waking up usually. There were still the positive effects but the side effects are just so bad. Food just doesn’t seem appealing anymore and I have constant headaches and stomach issues.Thats not even the bad part, I have had terrible hallucinations and makes me very paranoid and scared to do anything in my day. At some points of the day I feel fine but others I feel those side effects and episodes of tense muscles that tremble when I hallucinate and increased heart rate and heavy breathing. I keep reading all these amazing things about this drug and I want that for me too. If anyone has experienced I would love the feedback:)”

LexinTex October 9, 2020

“I have been soooo sleepy for the past 15 years of my life. I finally found a PA that listened to me about my sleepiness. She has been great. I can not afford the recommended sleep study. I am currently taking 10mg extended release. It has helped but I am still falling asleep at work. My PA will meet with me in after a month on it. I’m not sure if I need an increased dosage or if it’s not working on me. It’s a struggle still. I don’t want to feel hopeless that I can’t find help.”

SunnyDelite September 4, 2015

“I was taking 40mg of Adderall per day for ADD, before my Narcolepsy diagnosis. At that point the dose was raised to 30mg, 2 times per day. That dose helped a bit more with the ADD symptoms, but I'm still exhausted and sleep-walking thru my day. It does give me 4-5 hours to be productive and get my work/errands done before I crash again, around 3:30pm. I've been on Adderall for several years and at first it seemed like a miracle drug. On 20mg/day I felt awake for the first time in my life. But now, about 8 years later, I think my tolerance is way up, as the 60mg/day I take now is no where as effective as the 20mg was years ago. Until there is better treatment for Narcolepsy, Adderall is better than nothing.”

Taylorr February 1, 2017

“I was diagnosed with narcolepsy wth cataplexy about two years ago. I was always the friend in the group that was falling asleep in the car, movies, and middle of class. I actually got voted "most likely to be sleeping in class" for my senior year. Even though it was funny for others, it's not for me. It's so hard to live a normal life when your constantly tired and all you want to do is sleep. I took nuvigil for the first year and half. It was working fine but I grew a tolerance for it with adverse effects. I started adderall 1/2 a year ago and it's the best thing ever. I've never felt so normal before in my life. I take 10mg XR when I wake up along with 10 mg regular release tab. And 10mg later on in the day. Best choice ever by my doctor!!”

raraider October 4, 2009

“I have been on Adderall (60 mg) for 16 months (I am 21 years old). I was sleeping 16-20 hrs a day and when awake I was lethargic and had a compulsion sleep. I also have severe chronic pain, refractory depression, and panic disorder. So with so many problems I could hardly do a thing. Adderall was ideal because it helped treat my narcolepsy, it reduced the sedation from the opioids I take, it actually treats pain when added to opioids, it helped my depression which did not respond to over 40 drugs, and feeling better I stared to conquer my agoraphobia. It can't say it is a "cure" because I still struggle. I can still fall asleep, even when talking to a friend. Only problem was a little bruxism when I started and when the dose went up.”

AleeD · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2013

“I just started Adderall 10 mg for a new diagnosis of narcolepsy. This is the first time I have ever stayed awake through a movie, and been able to sit and read without nodding off. I am still my normal, calm self. But I just do not have the compulsion to sleep. Very helpful.”

Husky1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2016

“I was diagnosed with sever sleep apnea when i was about 50 I have been tired most of my adult life so assume have had apnea a long time. Tried cpap, forget that, got a somnodent mouthguard which stopped almost 100% of my apneas, but I didnt feel better. Put on provigil like 5 years not really much better same with nuvigil.finally drs and I were fed up I could not make it through a day without at least 2 to three short 5 to 20 minute naps and always felt like had a cloud in my brain and my pcp recommended to sleep dr. to try Adderall. I had no Idea what Adderal was knew it was used for ADAH but really didn't care just went home and took it results have been unbelievable. Almost never take a nap, feel way more refreshed, no brain fog. ”

Anonymous June 27, 2008

“Aderrall has really helped me stay alert and concentrate, as I have chronic pain issues which leave me sleepy and unfocused. I have the energy to enjoy life again. I do have difficulty sleeping, and also since I do not take XR can "crush" it if I forget my second dose. I have noticed it makes me most irritable and difficult to be around. This side effect seems to have waned over time, but I am still occasionally cranky when it wears off.”

Thoughtfrullnessary May 10, 2015

“I'm a 52 yr. old male. I started taking Adderall about14 months ago. for the first 2 weeks I didn't notice much change then I noticed that when I took the medication in the morning suddenly I had a lot more energy and it seemed like I could concentrate better and not as agitated about life in general. I take me 2nd. dose at lunch time. The increase in my energy level was keeping me moving more during the day so it allowed me to rest better at night. Every morning when I wake I go straight for the Adderall. Overall I think Adderall has improved my quality of life and I think Adderall should be prescribed to the aged for the same effects. It's not going to work the same for all so close monitoring for 30 days on a 2per day 15mg.dose”

Kld · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 22, 2013

“For 5 years I suffered from hypothyroidism which turned out to be Hashimotos. Which I take thyroid (natural thyroid medication). Once my thyroid was under control myself and doctor were confused on why I was so tired. I would have seizures when I was completely exhausted. Very scary! They thought I had panic attacks but not so! The seizures were all part narcolepsy which apparently can mask under hypothyroidism. I now take 30mg of Adderall XR a day. It is not enough but just really happy I can get through the day without feeling like someone has given me a bottle of sleeping pills. Adderall is my wonder pill and no side effects.”

Learn more about Narcolepsy