User Reviews for Adderall

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Adderall.

Adderall Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Adderall to treat ADHD

"This drug completely ruined my life. I started taking the drug when I was 12..till about 25. Everything I have done academically has been due to adderall. I have a degree in I/T and am working on a civil eng. masters degree. Don't get it confused, you can be fine for a year or even years on this drug..but it will catch up to you. After I quit taking itI was back to a 12 year old academically and professional performance wise. It made my real ADHD 10x worse w/o the drug and gave me crippling anxiety. I quit taking it and developed a cocaine problem then a drinking problem that almost killed me. I attribute each of these addictions to being on legal speed for 13 years..It's speed - there is no way around it."

Civilengineertriggertime (taken for 10 years or more) November 9, 2017

"I'm going crazy"

Adhd kid (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 9 years old nephew took this for a while. It helped with focus, but made him extremely angry and argumentative. Also, he refused to sleep at night unless he was in the same room as his grandmother. He has tried multiple medications but so far all gave some negative side effect or lose effectiveness soon after he starts taking it."

SnowyDeux (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For me Adderall has changed my life remarkably for the good; without Adderall I wouldn't be able to work 40 hours a week like I do as well as going to school full-time. Yes it may be a amphetamine and produce similar euphoric highs to meth and MDMA, however it is far different as far as when it is broken down chemically. For those who have little knowledge in chemistry, just one small change in the chemical structure to a drug that may seem so insignificant can actually change the drug dramatically when it comes to the side effects. Adderall is a very useful drug and provides many benefits with much less side effects then the other not so good drugs in its class."

chan the man with the plan (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"works very good for energy, focus and a feeling of well being. I didn't feel depressed at all. It kept me focused unlike when I was without I couldn't sit still for 2 minutes. Good overall. It left my heart racing a little but I took a Xanax and it all balanced out."

chiOne18 (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I was tried to be put on Ritalin when I was 5 and it simply wasn’t gonna happen w my parents. So I continued school and still had c and d grades. I went to a Dr, did all these tests and said I have ADD/ADHD\ w anxiety disorder. Which was from all the MDMA abuse. So I am on 30 mg IR adderall (the ones with the 30 on em) only ones that don’t make my mouth dry and 2mg xanax 4 times a day. Let me say I wake up everyday excited to go to work. I used to be a hardcore tablet junkie and now since I take these two I don’t drink and I don’t do illegal drugs. These two rx’s We’re a match made in heaven. I take 2 green bars and 1 adderall in the morning and I’m flying at work in the IT/ software field. These two have saved my life. Best combo"

Xannyaddysubs September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would like to first say that my experience with Adderall was overall successful, it most definitely helped my concentration and ability to focus. However, there are some side effects that I think are worth noting. I had minimal anxiety prior to taking this medication (only when traveling). My anxiety dramatically increased to the point where I was put in therapy and almost took a medical leave from work. (I quit taking the medication once I realized it was a significant contributing factor - although not completely to blame) I had a very dry mouth while prescribed, which actually ended up leading to cavities according to my dentist. Noticeable lower back pain & problems sleeping (both are alleviated once you quit taking the meds)"

DelaneyMarie August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is absolutely amazing for those who really suffer from ADHD. You will experience side effects such as, loss of appetite, loss of sleep, hyperactivity, dry mouth and dehydration, but they go away with time. There is a right dosage for everyone. Try to find your dosage and genetic brand that works for you, and with proper nutrition it will change your life! I've suffered from ADHD since I was a child. I was never able to focus or finish tasks. I would do so much better in life, in every aspect of it, if discovered this medication earlier in life! But like a lot of people on here say, better late than never! I am now on 15mg IR twice a day. Give it a try, just do it right!"

Milashka (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to take Adderall. My current doctor told me that Adderall is actually amphetamine and that while amphetamine will work for ADHD, it damages dopamine cells by releasing the dopamine inside the cell. She also said that there is increasing evidence that amphetamines increase risk for parkinson's disease even when it is used as directed."

be careful (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I first started taking it, it helped me immensely with my ADHD. Pretty quickly, however, it stopped working. For one thing, it gives me crazy mood swings. It really amps me up at first, and I get super euphoric and happy for two hours, and then I feel awful and anxious and depressed. It actually potentiates my ADHD symptoms. It makes me extremely thirsty all the time, so I keep having to leave class to go use the bathroom or fill up my water bottle. Adderall makes it harder for me to appreciate the beauty of nature. I feel less in touch with my emotions when I take it. I understand that Adderall helps people a lot of the time, so it's worth a shot. But it didn't help me AT ALL. In fact, it probably made things worse."

Tobey L (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been diagnosed with ADD . I have always pushed myself to get good grades and to take as many AP and honors classes as I can handle. I enjoy learning about new things; however, my lack of focus got in the way of my learning. It bothers me when people say ADD/ADHD is made up. I know that people who don't have this disorder can't truly understand what it's like. Without adderall my mind is foggy and I can't take the fog away to learn about the things that I love. All my friends know that I have a strong passion for physics and astronomy, but it's very hard for me to pick up a book without forgetting most of what I read after I finished it. On adderall I feel like the fog fades always and my mind is like a clear sunny day. Oh how I wish that I didn't have to take this every day and just naturally be as focused. I am just an 18 year old who is trying to pursue her dreams, but without this medication I'm not sure how I can get through college to learn what I love. I can now look through my telescope at the stars without the clouds getting in the way."

Samanthaa98 May 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Such an amazing contribution to the pharmaceutical world. So much better than its ugly step sisters, such as Ritalin and Vyvanse. Adderall steals the show every time. 30mg/day does the trick. Been on it for 12 years, I've taken personal breaks for tolerance. I've never had any type of "withdrawal" or "come downs" at the end of the day. This drug has the ability to put me to sleep when I take it, honestly; and that's because my dissociation (caused by my ADHD) causes my anxiety to skyrocket. But when I take my adderall, I am able to focus on reality, making my anxiety disappear for a few hours. Calms me down. Relief is a blessing."

amphetamint (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 51, and have been on Adderall for 15 years. I take 20mg twice a day. It helps me concentrate, and stay focused. I skip taking it for one day every week, this helps me see where the Adderall helps in my life, and was suggested by my doctor to help my body not build a tolerance to Adderall. At this time I personally don't believe Adderall is "addicting", when taken properly. While on vacation, I went a week without it, and never felt any withdrawal's​ from the Adderall. I keep my Adderall, and other med's in a metal lock box, that locks onto a shelf in my fridge, because people do abuse Adderall."

TiffieD (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 2- 10mg IR tablets each day for about a month. I have noticed a significant difference at how well I perform at school since I've been on adderall. I have many honors and AP classes, which always have a big work load. Each day I had to struggle with my ADD and having to look over the material numerous times. I am now able to focus and have confidence in my classes. Usually I am the last person taking a test and now I am one of the first people done because I am finally able to focus. Negatives- as adderall wears off I feel anti-social, weak, agitated, and slightly depressed the positives definitely out weigh the negatives ADD is hard to deal with and finally being able to focus means so much to me"

Sammie2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over two years ago, have been struggling with it for about 7. Recently went to a psychiatrist because my pain doctor and pcp suggested it because of me complaining about concentration and fatigue issues. I have only been on this a short time but so far it's been A LIFE SAVER. I was started on a low dose of course just 10mg once a day IR. I could easily take 3 of these a day. My pain doctor recently put me on the lowest dose of a butrans patch and it's made a huge difference but my energy was still gone and I still struggled (I only worked on average 20 hours a week because doing much more has been too hard and I have an easy job in an office ). This adderall may save my life I'd write more but it won't let me"

LaLaurie (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Adderall when I was 26 y/o and it was AMAZING for about 2 years. My dose started out at 30mg/day in the beginning and after 2 years was up to 60mg/day (30 mg IR twice daily). I started getting increasingly paranoid, losing, what seemed like, more and more sleep with each passing month. I kept thinking that I was seeing red and blue lights on my walls at night, which made me think the cops were after me outside. Even though I didn't do anything that would require police assistance. Until one day when I lost my mind, literally. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and put on a 72 hour psychiatric hold for which I ended up staying at the hospital almost 2 week. Diagnosed with amphetamine induced schizoaffective disorder!!!"

ADDERALL WILL MAKE YOU INSANE (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I stopped taking this medication 6 years ago because I built up a tolerance to it. But, it seriously was the best thing to ever happen to me. I've always had untreated ADHD and when I finally received treatment, I flourished. Now, after 6 years I am giving it a try again. So far it's working great. The two things I don't like about Adderall is that I talk WAY too much, share WAY too much information. In fact, I call up family members and talk to them to death.I had to write myself a note and tape it to the phone to not call or text anyone! And the second thing is the comedown, by the time the medication wears off, I am drained!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug works great at first until you need more and more to focus. Stay away from this med if you don't truly have ADHD or you have hypertension."

Txcb2004 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While not perfect, this drug helped me achieve around an 80% improvement in my focus, attention, and ability to see tasks through to the end. I take 20mg IR in the morning and 20mg early in the afternoon. I was never diagnosed with A.D.D when I was a kid likely because I barely went to see doctors as a child. I used illicit drugs my whole life until it caused me to almost kill myself. After being clean for a year, I noticed my problems persisted with attention, focus, and finishing tasks. After seeing a Psychiatrist and getting a proper test/diagnosis, I'm grateful. It's helped a lot."

WOW. Major Improvement! (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This has helped me a lot, but I have a couple tips. There are different brands that people will react differently to (I thought they would all act the same but no). I had a bad reaction with the first generic brand I tried, tried a different generic brand, and had a better experience. So look into that because not everyone believes that there's such a difference between different brands but to me there was. Second, I'm overweight and thought "decreased appetite? good!" but I would advise to still make sure you're eating frequently enough. Food has such an impact on brain functioning so not eating for 6 hours because you didn't feel like it is a bad habit to start! Once I got those slight issues settled, this drug really helped.Just be smart"

Sprite93817 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Has helped me focus and I have motivation to do work . But the crash sucks , unless you have Valium or xanax"

Richieminaj January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never thought I could have done better than how I was before. I am doing better at sports, behavior wise, and paying attention in class."

Ny12314 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having ADD has been a bumpy ride for me, especially when it comes to finding the correct medication. As a Mechanical Engineering major, my work load is very heavy and being able to focus is essential and Adderall Xr certainly gives me the ability to do so. I've been taking 30mg xr for about 2-3 years. Prior to adderall I took Vyvanse and Concerts which did not work as well for me as adderall. It also took me a while to work adderall into my schedule as efficient as possible as I don't like taking it EVERYday. But I've got to say I found a happy medium that allows for the least amount of side effects and it is working absolute wonders for me."

Jhest603 January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Please be aware of all side effects before taking this drug. Adderal is highly addictive and it is very likely that 1 taking this drug will continue to do so for a long period of time out of necessity. Its best to slowly decrease the intake of the drug so the withdrawal symptoms are not 2 intense. Taking more than prescribed can lead 2 severe & even life threatening situations. Hallucinations, hearing voices, severe insomnia, & personality changes are inevitable if abused. With that being said, this is a highly effective yet short term solution bc of the dependency factor. At times the side effects may be so severe that the person taking the drug doesn't even notice bc they are so happy and focused on everything else.Notice Excessive Movement?"

Lawstudent1738-be cautious! (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While Adderall definitely helped my ADD symptoms, the comedown was absolutely horrible. I was on 30mg per day (20mg IR in morning, 10mg IR 5hrs later). It made me finally able to focus, and stay organized for the 5 months I took it. However, as soon as it started wearing off, I turned into a real big jerk, and I even lost some friends because of it. I eventually discontinued it after having a mental breakdown, and due to several of my closest friends and family approaching me about how I was acting. I ended up switching to Concerta and currently take 36mg per day. I find that it works 10 times better than Adderall did for me. Long story short, Adderall, while definitely very effective at treating my symptoms, wasn't the right fit for me."

average_16y/o_guy December 30, 2016