User Reviews for Adderall to treat ADHD

Adderall has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 289 ratings for the treatment of ADHD. 70% of those users who reviewed Adderall reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Adderall Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Adderall

Maplelia · Taken for 10 years or more April 26, 2021

“I have taken Adderall XR and short acting for 25 years and I got this new XR 30MG the other day Lannett and it made me tired, heart racing, BP accelerated and did NOTHING to help me focus. I contacted the pharmacy and my Dr and he's trying to switch me to another brand because this is a joke. awful..”

Kim April 9, 2021

“If anyone else is having a terrible time with the new Lannett generic adderall you can report this to the FDA. I have been having crippling headaches, stomach aches, and the medication doesn’t even feel like it works!!! I get tired after I take it and then can’t sleep all night because of it. HORRIBLE. Google fda medwatch online reporting to fill in the form”

MJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 8, 2021

“Right now I take 50mg Lamictal for my Bipolar and 7.5mg twice a day Adderall for ADHD. At first I wasn't sure Adderall was going to work for me, I was initially prescribed 20mg twice a day. That dose ended up being way too high for me, It made be become manic and I felt really wired all the time. I now take 7.5mg twice a day and have found it to be much better. I feel alert and focused throughout the day. Some of the side effects I have had are weight loss, jaw clenching, and mild insomnia (I usually just take melatonin). Overall, Adderall has helped me a lot, I just had to find the right dosage.”

Bamapolo · Taken for 10 years or more September 15, 2020

“Generic Adderall: TEVA vs. ALVOGEN “All generic adderall is NOT the same trust me!...... I don’t care what your physician or pharmacist may say.“ I’ve taken Adderall for nearly 25 plus years for ADD. WHY? it works twice as good ask anyone whose taken different brands before. For the BEST quality and most potent adderall on the market is made by a company called TEVA. Even pharmacist tell me when they run out of TEVA and must use ALVOGEN their patients complain because the pharmacies cannot keep TEVA in stock because the consumers know it’s the best and most effective for ADD and ADHD.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more January 8, 2021

“Generic Adderall varies significantly depending on mfg. Reason being, the FDA says the mfg only has to “demonstrate” it “works in the same way “ as the brand-name. i.e. generic ingredients do Not have to be same which is why so many don’t work and/or make people feel sick. My experience, the only generic that works like the brand-name is Prasco, which acquired Teva’s generic xr in 2016. Few pharmacies use Prasco as their generic because it’s more expensive! My Dr specifies “Prasco generic only” on my prescription for D-Amphetamine ER 30MG Salt combo. By law, the pharmacy must comply if Prasco is one of their overall suppliers. My insurance changed so I called Prasco to see if they sell to Costco. They do. Just takes a day or 2 for the pharmacist to order and fill my script. Walgreens used Prasco as their generic until recently. Now it’s Mallinckrodt which just filed for bankruptcy to settle a slew of opioid lawsuits. It’s all about $”

Gary ratowski · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 10, 2021

“I take two 30 mg pills a day for ADHD and it has really made a huge difference in my life. I am able to focus on one task at a time and complete it. Works great for giving me the motivation I sometimes lack. Only issue is that when I was given the white or peach ones, they did not seem to work as well as the pink ones. Talked to doctor about it and she added to my prescription to only receive the pink ones. Curious if anyone else has had this issue”

Anonymous February 17, 2020

“I have been on adderal 15mg 2×daily for 7 yrs it has completely change my life. I was always down, depressed, unmotivated, impulsive, always day dreaming, short attention span, no focus and couldn't sitting still. Adderal has given me a new happy life that I can enjoy and appreciate. Starting to think I need to go up to 20mg. I can feel I'm getting used to them. But without them I wouldn't get out of bed and would waste my life.I think adderal is my miracle drug I have never been so grateful for a prescription drug”

Focused802 · Taken for 10 years or more February 21, 2020

“If you're taking for ADHD please note there are a lot of side effects, having said this, they are sometimes serious so take note to talk to your doctor. If you get cold fingers or toes, make sure to consult your doctor as it's a syndrome that can be prevented. It does help with focus, it helps with impulse control, it helps with a general overall euphoric feeling and it can cause you to lose a lot of weight. Be sure to eat, EAT, don't shake your head, you know I'm talking to you. Eat and stay hydrated it causes you to urinate a LOT, make sure to supplement what you are losing. It will cause tremors, shakes, and irritability, again, eat food. Make sure to stick to a 2000 calorie diet AT LEAST. May cause muscle fatigue and extreme soreness, stay hydrated, make sure of this. Some say it causes better grades in school, well, to an extent. It just makes you write a lot. Eat Eat Hydrate And maybe take melatonin to help promote rest. I warned and entertained you.”

Themom · Taken for 10 years or more September 24, 2019

“I shared my experience recently on here and was going back over and reading others as well. I believe we should all state the laboratory that producing the specific generic we are each taking. Doing so may help us all narrow down which ones to stay away from and which ones are truly therapeutic. Eon lab brand of amphetamine/dextroamphetamine was good until 9 months ago, now they are horrible (no therapeutic value and bad side effects). I then I switched to Teva and they were decent for about 2 months and now they are giving me side effects. Plus the pharmacy ran out of them and I had to wait for a new batch and when the new batch came in is when the bad side effect started. I KNOW the drug manufacturer has changed something. Hope that helps someone.”

Spanky January 29, 2020

“I have found the generic brand for Adderall is not effective as the brand name. The Epic brand caused me to have severe depression, blurred vision, headaches, very tired and no focus at all. I’m trying to find a brand that is much like the name brand. Looking for suggestions if anyone can share please. Thanks”

Shavie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2021

“I take the 10 mg amphetamine with dextroamphetamine by Teva and it works great, better than the 15 mg.in my opinion. I see others mentioning generics by Alogen and Mallinckrodt here. Well I take a couple of other medications manufactured by these 2, on and off, most times it's Mallickrodt. Let me tell you, this is the WORST drug manufacturer on the market. The Alogen is junk too. I've been on a few medical chat sites just to see what I can find out about Mallinckrodt and see if others felt the same way and they absolutely do! Literally 100's of people have complained to the co. itself and to the FDA. This has been going on for a solid 5 years at least & the stuff is STILL pure unadulterated JUNK.”

Debralar · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 6, 2019

“I cannot believe that the FDA allows AUROBINDO or TEVA to sale their lousy drugs through pharmacies in the US. Neither of these generics have any affect on me at all!! WASTE of money! They are playing with people's minds and well being!!!!”

Adarye · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

“I was so glad to see these posts. Pharmacies are so rude to me. I switched to so many brands, but they say they are all alike, and say it doesn't matter which generic I get, because they're all the same. My doctor, unfortunately, thinks the same. I finally said to the pharmacy tech one day, "I'm sure I'm not the only one, who would like certain generics." She said, no, I'm the only one. I know this sounds crazy, but the blue 10mg of teva, don't seem to work like the 15mg of the peach teva, even if I cut one of the blue in half to make it 15mg.”

Sue August 10, 2019

“First prescribed it in grad school for ADD & depression. Worked wonders. Only downside is I became very reliant on it. Was stuck between the two evils of being a depressed zombie (w/o taking it) and feeling like a happy, motivated, focused person (on Adderall). Eventually stopped taking and failed out of grad school. Work was hard, always late, made stupid mistakes, & couldn’t complete tasks. 3 years & 3 jobs later, I broke down and went back to a doctor who rediagnosed me with ADD, Anxiety, & Depression. I was reluctant to start back on Adderall and tried a few alternatives first. Everything made me feel even MORE exhausted; back on Adderall 30mg day; feel normal again. I have the motivation, energy, & focus to complete tasks. Only complaint is anxiety which I resolve w/ a low benzo & exercise. Remember, there’s no reason to be miserable if there’s a pill out there that can change your life.”

Wilder July 19, 2019

“Adderall is literally the only THING Period that I have tried that has improved my life in the slightest (I have ADD/Treatment-Resistant Depression ) - I got my Bachelors degree in Health & Psychology, I tried EVERY supplement herb, nootropic, etc. I'm commenting here is because of all the people saying how it drained them, or over time began making them feel worse - you need to educate yourself - one of the most important being, be SURE to be supplementing with TYROSINE, literally daily (tyrosine converts into Dopamine - like how 5-HTP converts to Serotonin) just like how SSRI's eventually "poop out" and just stop working (because they've used up the bodies natural serotonin) Adderall will eventually "poop out" on you, stop working, yet even worse when this happens, the more you take the WORSE you feel because its like revving an engine with no gasoline left in it!!! Theres plenty more to look into but even just taking Tyrosine makes a HUGE difference!”

beachgirl02 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 2, 2020

“I recently was given this new form of adderall from the pharmacy which was circular with just an "A" on one side... I did not like this new form of Adderall at all!! I assumed it would have the same effect as the typical oval shaped and it was completely different which is a little scary. It was very bitter and gross tasting unlike the football shaped one has a sweet note. It also disintegrated turning to powder immediately, as I attempted to break it in half (waste of product). I did not get any focus from it nor did I feel any different at all?? It did nothing! Then the next day got a horrible headache! I was talking with a friend who also mentioned getting the same thing recently. He mentioned having an extremely bad headache too the following day, so we now know it's from this form of adderall. I DO NOT LIKE IT. It should be pulled from the market honestly I don't know what the heck this rubbish is but it is not adderall.”

Adult ADD is real. · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 17, 2018

“I've read some of the comments comparing this medication to 'street meth.' That is simply not true and further stigmatizes Adult ADHD, since many still inaccurately claim it's something you grow out of. Well, it isn't and my childhood ADHD went untreated and I could barely function at school. Since taking a combo of Adderall and Wellbutrin, my brain and my life is no longer a disorganized mess. As a kid, I was an untreated C+ student and as an adult I have a PhD. I regret the years I wasn't helped. Medication plus cognitive behavior therapy plus Adult ADD support groups = a better me. If the medicine doesn't work for you, that is your individual response but it doesn't represent all of us.”

Sparkly October 23, 2019

“I’m 48 yo woman that was diagnosed with ADHD in elementary. When I began (on holiday) taking it I’m extremely fatigue/zombie the first 3 days, I am not nearly as engaged with anyone/anything around me (I talk 97% less when I’m on Adderall) and it makes me feel less cognitive. I feel like it dumbs me down. After the 3rd day I start to feel better and those “tranquilizer effects” go away. Adderall is an emotional regulator for me. It works wonders for my impulsivity, racing thoughts, fidgeting, feeling overwhelmed, anger, anxiety, zoning out, and my mouth. Yes, my mouth has always been my biggest challenge and has caused me tremendous social/professional problems. While in a perfect world I’d be on no medication, I have to recommend Adderall for anyone whose suffering from ADHD, because it has changed my overall quality of life for the best. Sparkle on beautiful people! ”

hzio · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 29, 2019

“I got diagnosed with ADHD at the beginning of this school year, being my senior year of high school. Since 8th grade, I've struggled in school, been incredibly impulsive, had very strange eating habits, over-thought everything, and could never contain my anger or anxiety. Once prescribed, my life has changed. My grades went up, and in 3 months I've lost almost 30 pounds (I am still in the normal BMI range). I can control myself. I finally believe in myself because of Adderall.”

Themom September 4, 2019

“Have taken Adderall on and off for around 13 years for ADD and CFS. I was lucky enough to have tried the “real” brand Adderall by Barr laboratories. I’ve never taken over 20mg a day. This medicine has gone to TRASH.The only negative side affect from the Barr version was occasional jaw clinching. I think Teva must’ve burned the patent formula or something because it has never worked liked the Barr, not even close. So many negative side effects (migraine headaches, heartburn, nausea)! I keep hoping at some point they might magically start producing a decent version that actually helps instead of hurts. The original Barr had true therapeutic value. Eon labs produced a decent generic for a while, but BAM, it suddenly went to garbage at the end of 2018. So switched back to Teva a couple months back and it started ok( not as good as Eon but better than everything else out there), then last months refill is feeling like they’re changing to something bad too. Bring back real Adderall!”

kjaq August 16, 2008

“During school I struggled with learning, despite hard work I barely graduated. By the time I reached High School I wanted to give up. As an adult I experienced the same difficulties in employment. I became depressed, almost gave up. Fortunately I was tested for ADD. Diagnosis revealed severe ADD. Within an hour of taking first dosage, my brain seemed to turn on and function at it's optimum potential. I felt truly alert, focused and clear headed. I found I could complete tasks competently. With out Adderall I'm useless. Adderall has improved my focus ability and competency in every aspect of life. It's a battery for my brain. I am dependent on Adderall for full functioning capacity. My well being and livelihood is compromised with out this medicine.”

Anonymous December 24, 2019

“I’ve been taking the generic version of Adderall for about 2 years now. I was tired all the time and couldn’t focus. I felt like a slug and when I had energy I still had brain fog, and had a hard time studying. In class, I would fidget in my chair, doodle, and listen to lectures, but nothing would stick in my head. No matter how long I studied. I was prescribed the 7.5 mg tablet once a day and just the small dose did wonders for my energy levels and let me focus and actually get things done. It helped me talk in social situations and gave me a mood boost. That being said, The generics changed a couple times. And I’m not sure, but I think I can tell a difference between them. After the pill wears off, my head aches, my legs throb, my body aches, and I’m nauseous and feel sick. I have flu like symptoms, which are miserable. It’s sad because it’s a really small dose and helps me so much but some of the side effects suck. You just gotta see what’s worth it to you.”

2nd chance at life March 10, 2014

“I always knew I was different from everyone else. I was very quiet and shy. But in my mind I couldn't shut up. My mind was loud. In class I could never stop fidgeting, playing with my hair, scratching an itch, doodling on notebooks. I wondered why nobody else squirmed around like me. At 24 I was diagnosed with ADD. Adderall is life changing. I'm finally normal. I feel like everyone else. My mind is at ease. I am in charge of my thoughts. I can have genuine conversations with people without my mind wondering. I am finally happy after years of struggles. I am organized and more peaceful. ”

XSH92 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 24, 2020

“Adderall has worked great for me when taken as needed. When I was in my early 20’s and taking it daily I built up a dependence that lead to terrible withdrawals as it is very addictive. (Learned the hard way and never want to go through that again!) I will usually only take this when my ADHD symptoms are unbearable and my work/personal life starts to become affected. We are talking maybe 1-4 tablets max per month. It really does help with focus and energy, and I find that one 10-20mg dose is usually enough and I feel good for several days after the dose without any withdrawals or dependence issues.”

RedFiona October 5, 2013

“After 37 years of knowing something wasn't right with my brain, I was diagnosed with ADHD, Inattentive Type in grad school and was prescribed Adderall. Where do I start??? This medication literally changed my life. Imagine being a "gifted" kid who eventually could barely pass middle school math - that's me. After a lifetime of compensating for my "slow processing," hiding my disorganization, and pretending to be on the same page with everyone else, this explains everything. Adderall has made a NIGHT AND DAY difference in my motivation level, what I understand and follow, and even my mood/emotional reactivity. In a word, amazing. If I ever meet the people who "discovered" Adderall, I'm kissing them - my husband agrees.”

JD12 · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 11, 2019

“This drug is one of the greatest formulas of all time. I went from down and depressed and unmotivated to organized and focused. Also from relatively poor to rich due the effect it had on me with my enthusiasm for work”

Samanthaa98 May 6, 2017

“I have been diagnosed with ADD . I have always pushed myself to get good grades and to take as many AP and honors classes as I can handle. I enjoy learning about new things; however, my lack of focus got in the way of my learning. It bothers me when people say ADD/ADHD is made up. I know that people who don't have this disorder can't truly understand what it's like. Without adderall my mind is foggy and I can't take the fog away to learn about the things that I love. All my friends know that I have a strong passion for physics and astronomy, but it's very hard for me to pick up a book without forgetting most of what I read after I finished it. On adderall I feel like the fog fades always and my mind is like a clear sunny day. Oh how I wish that I didn't have to take this every day and just naturally be as focused. I am just an 18 year old who is trying to pursue her dreams, but without this medication I'm not sure how I can get through college to learn what I love. I can now look through my telescope at the stars without the clouds getting in the way.”

pKdub · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 19, 2015

“Adderall has totally brought my life into focus. I started taking it about 6 months ago I'm 39 now and really wish I had this medicine as a kid. In addition to ADD I had severe anxiety and depression as a child/teenager. Adderall has given me focus, lifted my general mood, taken my anxiety away and made me a productive human being. I'm actually starting my own business! The only bad thing is that you really have to be careful of how much you take because it can have the opposite effect i.e. severe anxiety and no focus but if you take it the right way it will change your life! One other bad thing is the stigma surrounding the medicine and being treated like an addict by some pharmacists.”