User Reviews for Adderall

Adderall Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Adderall to treat ADHD

"AHDH medications sucks.They don't treat ADHD believe me. They just delay it till the crash comes and you feel 40 times more worse.They have destroyed the lives of hundreds of people due to prolonged use. They are just street meth.Believe me I have ADHD and the best medicine I would suggest are a non-stimulants like welbutrin and strattera.If they didn't work for you then never ever use stimulants they will ruin your life. Just rely on adaptogens eg rhodiola, ginseng, good diet, exercise and meditation. If study is a problem for you then use you hyperfocus and study something that you are interested in.You may have found some good reviews about these stimulants however these people are new and they are unaware of there consequences. I have tried stimulants for 15 years so I am confident and sure about what I say."

Tom (taken for 10 years or more) March 31, 2018

"I have been diagnosed when I was in ,1st grade but parents were against medicating their child. Big mistake, now in my early 30's I have been on 20mgs twice a day and they put me in an almost sedated comfortable mindset where my mind can focus on one thing and not twenty at a time. As soon as my Dr put me on this med I could work and attend College, it's let me utilize the intellect that I could never use and will be going into Graduate program for Psychology next semester. Those people with ADHD without any medication just use it how you are directed and it can change your life without changing who you are and how you act as a person."

Cepworker (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2018

"I’m a 21 year old female. Adderall helped me focus, be on time, stay organized. However, as time passed I noticed the negative impact. I had weight loss, irritability, my anxiety was worse, dry skin, dry mouth, was not feeling like myself. I developed insomnia too. This was only on 20 mg a day. I took it as prescribed. The worst part was when I tried to quit taking it after I was switched to Vyvanse, which I felt even worse on. I ended up in the hospital having a panic attack the first time I tried to stop taking it. The second time I tried to quit I had even more withdrawal symptoms, paranoia, panic attacks, vomiting. Stimulants are not worth it."

Em47_ January 26, 2018

"Was diagnosed with ADHD at 18 years old. I was prescribed, and am taking Adderall 20mg XR. This drug makes me feel like an emotionless zombie at times. My anxiety is fluctuating a lot and my mood is constantly changing. I like to go out late sometimes but when it wears off I don’t have any energy to do so. Friends and family have become increasingly less important it seems. I have minor scoliosis and it makes my back pain a lot worse at times. This drug definitely allows me to focus and get ahead. At the end of the day I don’t know if it’s worth it though. Might need a lower dose."

Anonymous2112 January 7, 2018

"Makes daily life possible. I was diagnosed in 3rd grade with ADHD. Poor grades and constantly being sent to the principal for class disruptions was getting ridiculous. Started on Ritilan. No more principal and straight A's. Now in my 30's and on Adderall I successfully taught myself computers, reading electrical schematics and building whatever is called for. Pretty much whatever I wanted to learn."

Knight2000 January 5, 2018

"I'm not entirely sure if ADHD and bipolar intersect, or if they correctly diagnosed me by being both, but that being said, I was prescribed adderall at age 15. It definitely did the job. I personally enjoy being hyper so it was alien to me. It enables me to not only hear people but listen and comprehend. It stops impulsive behavior. Provides almost sedated state. You just float along. I feel like it made me want to be quiet and polite. Now I take lamictal and seroquel. If you have ADHD do yourself a favor and look up mania. Very similar."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 22, 2017

"I have Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy (MMD)/Rheumatic Disease and Adderall IR has been incredible in balancing out the effects of my pain management medication for my rheumatic disease - to the point where I have cut my pain mgt med in 1/2 due to my increased activity. I'm engaged in my life again and I've found a happy balance :)"

Balanced Out (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2017

"I finally got diagnosed when I was 40. I was in college and just couldn't focus or comprehend my classes. I thought there was something wrong my head. I've been abused for a very long time. I went to my counsellor and suggested I get tested for ADHD. I was very relieved it wasn't head problems. I was diagnosed with ADHD. I suffered 40 years with all the symptoms but never thought about ADHD. When I was put on Adderall I couldn't believe the difference. My grade point was 3.67. I was very proud of myself. I've been taking it ever since. 30mg twice a day. People can tell when I'm not on it, big difference. My insurance didn't cover it. So I was paying over $200 My insurance started paying last yr. THANK YOU FOR READING MY STORY."

Huggerbabe2007 December 13, 2017

"I started on concerta fo rADHD and had poor results, it made me feel out of touch, I started adderrall a week ago at 20 mg twice a day and I have anxiety and feel some focus. I am wondering if 20 mg is too low a dose and need to go up."

pauly1740 (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

"Truly this medication has helped me with so many aspects of my life. I was diagnosed later in life with ADHD inattentive and it explained so much of my life."

Anonymous1000 December 7, 2017

"it has helped me with my disability."

legoro (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 30, 2017

"This drug completely ruined my life. I started taking the drug when I was 12..till about 25. Everything I have done academically has been due to adderall. I have a degree in I/T and am working on a civil eng. masters degree. Don't get it confused, you can be fine for a year or even years on this drug..but it will catch up to you. After I quit taking itI was back to a 12 year old academically and professional performance wise. It made my real ADHD 10x worse w/o the drug and gave me crippling anxiety. I quit taking it and developed a cocaine problem then a drinking problem that almost killed me. I attribute each of these addictions to being on legal speed for 13 years..It's speed - there is no way around it."

Civilengineertriggertime (taken for 10 years or more) November 9, 2017

"I'm going crazy"

Adhd kid (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

"My 9 years old nephew took this for a while. It helped with focus, but made him extremely angry and argumentative. Also, he refused to sleep at night unless he was in the same room as his grandmother. He has tried multiple medications but so far all gave some negative side effect or lose effectiveness soon after he starts taking it."

SnowyDeux (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

"For me Adderall has changed my life remarkably for the good; without Adderall I wouldn't be able to work 40 hours a week like I do as well as going to school full-time. Yes it may be a amphetamine and produce similar euphoric highs to meth and MDMA, however it is far different as far as when it is broken down chemically. For those who have little knowledge in chemistry, just one small change in the chemical structure to a drug that may seem so insignificant can actually change the drug dramatically when it comes to the side effects. Adderall is a very useful drug and provides many benefits with much less side effects then the other not so good drugs in its class."

chan the man with the plan (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 15, 2017

"works very good for energy, focus and a feeling of well being. I didn't feel depressed at all. It kept me focused unlike when I was without I couldn't sit still for 2 minutes. Good overall. It left my heart racing a little but I took a Xanax and it all balanced out."

chiOne18 (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

"Hi, I was tried to be put on Ritalin when I was 5 and it simply wasn’t gonna happen w my parents. So I continued school and still had c and d grades. I went to a Dr, did all these tests and said I have ADD/ADHD\ w anxiety disorder. Which was from all the MDMA abuse. So I am on 30 mg IR adderall (the ones with the 30 on em) only ones that don’t make my mouth dry and 2mg xanax 4 times a day. Let me say I wake up everyday excited to go to work. I used to be a hardcore tablet junkie and now since I take these two I don’t drink and I don’t do illegal drugs. These two rx’s We’re a match made in heaven. I take 2 green bars and 1 adderall in the morning and I’m flying at work in the IT/ software field. These two have saved my life. Best combo"

Xannyaddysubs September 19, 2017

"I would like to first say that my experience with Adderall was overall successful, it most definitely helped my concentration and ability to focus. However, there are some side effects that I think are worth noting. I had minimal anxiety prior to taking this medication (only when traveling). My anxiety dramatically increased to the point where I was put in therapy and almost took a medical leave from work. (I quit taking the medication once I realized it was a significant contributing factor - although not completely to blame) I had a very dry mouth while prescribed, which actually ended up leading to cavities according to my dentist. Noticeable lower back pain & problems sleeping (both are alleviated once you quit taking the meds)"

DelaneyMarie August 16, 2017

"This medication is absolutely amazing for those who really suffer from ADHD. You will experience side effects such as, loss of appetite, loss of sleep, hyperactivity, dry mouth and dehydration, but they go away with time. There is a right dosage for everyone. Try to find your dosage and genetic brand that works for you, and with proper nutrition it will change your life! I've suffered from ADHD since I was a child. I was never able to focus or finish tasks. I would do so much better in life, in every aspect of it, if discovered this medication earlier in life! But like a lot of people on here say, better late than never! I am now on 15mg IR twice a day. Give it a try, just do it right!"

Milashka (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2017

"I used to take Adderall. My current doctor told me that Adderall is actually amphetamine and that while amphetamine will work for ADHD, it damages dopamine cells by releasing the dopamine inside the cell. She also said that there is increasing evidence that amphetamines increase risk for parkinson's disease even when it is used as directed."

be careful (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2017

"When I first started taking it, it helped me immensely with my ADHD. Pretty quickly, however, it stopped working. For one thing, it gives me crazy mood swings. It really amps me up at first, and I get super euphoric and happy for two hours, and then I feel awful and anxious and depressed. It actually potentiates my ADHD symptoms. It makes me extremely thirsty all the time, so I keep having to leave class to go use the bathroom or fill up my water bottle. Adderall makes it harder for me to appreciate the beauty of nature. I feel less in touch with my emotions when I take it. I understand that Adderall helps people a lot of the time, so it's worth a shot. But it didn't help me AT ALL. In fact, it probably made things worse."

Tobey L (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

"I have been diagnosed with ADD . I have always pushed myself to get good grades and to take as many AP and honors classes as I can handle. I enjoy learning about new things; however, my lack of focus got in the way of my learning. It bothers me when people say ADD/ADHD is made up. I know that people who don't have this disorder can't truly understand what it's like. Without adderall my mind is foggy and I can't take the fog away to learn about the things that I love. All my friends know that I have a strong passion for physics and astronomy, but it's very hard for me to pick up a book without forgetting most of what I read after I finished it. On adderall I feel like the fog fades always and my mind is like a clear sunny day. Oh how I wish that I didn't have to take this every day and just naturally be as focused. I am just an 18 year old who is trying to pursue her dreams, but without this medication I'm not sure how I can get through college to learn what I love. I can now look through my telescope at the stars without the clouds getting in the way."

Samanthaa98 May 6, 2017

"Such an amazing contribution to the pharmaceutical world. So much better than its ugly step sisters, such as Ritalin and Vyvanse. Adderall steals the show every time. 30mg/day does the trick. Been on it for 12 years, I've taken personal breaks for tolerance. I've never had any type of "withdrawal" or "come downs" at the end of the day. This drug has the ability to put me to sleep when I take it, honestly; and that's because my dissociation (caused by my ADHD) causes my anxiety to skyrocket. But when I take my adderall, I am able to focus on reality, making my anxiety disappear for a few hours. Calms me down. Relief is a blessing."

amphetamint (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2017

"I am 51, and have been on Adderall for 15 years. I take 20mg twice a day. It helps me concentrate, and stay focused. I skip taking it for one day every week, this helps me see where the Adderall helps in my life, and was suggested by my doctor to help my body not build a tolerance to Adderall. At this time I personally don't believe Adderall is "addicting", when taken properly. While on vacation, I went a week without it, and never felt any withdrawal's​ from the Adderall. I keep my Adderall, and other med's in a metal lock box, that locks onto a shelf in my fridge, because people do abuse Adderall."

TiffieD (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2017

"I have been taking 2- 10mg IR tablets each day for about a month. I have noticed a significant difference at how well I perform at school since I've been on adderall. I have many honors and AP classes, which always have a big work load. Each day I had to struggle with my ADD and having to look over the material numerous times. I am now able to focus and have confidence in my classes. Usually I am the last person taking a test and now I am one of the first people done because I am finally able to focus. Negatives- as adderall wears off I feel anti-social, weak, agitated, and slightly depressed the positives definitely out weigh the negatives ADD is hard to deal with and finally being able to focus means so much to me"

Sammie2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017