User Reviews for Concerta

Learn more about Concerta.

Concerta Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Concerta to treat ADHD

"just got diagnosed with add and im 19yrs old the doc prescribe me 36mg concerta and this my second day taking the pill and i still feel the same"

scoob123 August 23, 2016

"Been taking Concerta XL for a while with a steady titration from 18mg up to 81mg. I take it around 9am each morning and the first few hours are very restless. However by early noon say 1-2pm I go into a slow sometimes dragging comedown which makes me sleepy and therefore having a knap during the day. This leads to an almost sleepless night which can upset my brain in many ways. Positives: Alert, talkative, sociable and above all CONCENTRATE. Negatives: Jaw Clenching (gurning), sweaty, sleepless night (because of the midday knap) All in all I have tried alteting dosage times in the morning and I can quite easily eat without feeling nausea. Weight loss is noticable but at a good stable rate. Many people have to give Concerta a chance."

Mr ADHD (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2016

"I'm 16. I was prescribed 36mg Comcentra I took it at 8:30pm (was suppose to take it in morning) it worksd it helped me focus but 3 hours into it I started feeling anxiety and later I had a crash. Couldn't sleep stayed up the whole entire night. I also has many other side effects like lack of appitite and heavy breathing might be to large of a dose but overall without the crazy side effects it helped me get stuff done and concentrate"

Slythers (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

"I've been on Concerta XL for 3 years now I have two large (36mg the highest dose for my age) every morning. I suffer from ADHD well ADD and it really helps me feel motivated and helps me look forward to things. I lost 4 ish stone and went from 16.7 stone to 12 in 4 years as my adhd made me eat when I was bored/sad/happy and It really ruined my life. I don't have an appetite anymore and only eat in the afternoon once it's worn off. I do drink a lot of fluids as on the tablets I get thirsty. I'm more social and i enjoy everyday activities a lot more including chores. Negatives : the come down is awful and I usually slip into a depression but it is worth it ! I'd recommend it to anyone !"

Liv562000 August 6, 2016

"I've been taking Concerta XL for around 2 months after finally being diagnosed as and adult. I started on 18mg, and within half an hour, I felt able to concentrate and focus on tasks for the 1st time. A couple of days later, I had crippling headaches but everything settled down after that. My resting heart rate has sped up by 10bpm whilst the medication is in effect. I'm currently on 54mg and the therapeutic effects are great, but I feel dehydrated no matter how much water I drink, and I have developed sinus problems. It's worth it though."

Smiddy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

"I was prescribed Concerta 54mg for two weeks, and after two weeks my dosage was lowered to 36mg. The positive effects: First of all, it was absolutely effective at keeping me focused, engaged, and gave me the motivation to continue working away at my given tasks. It also accelerated my perception of time. The (manageable) negatives: It made me so focused on tasks that I was antisocial. Fixating on annoying sounds, anxiety, sweaty palms, no appetite, and weight loss (25lbs). I found I was lacking emotion, and during the long comedown I was irritable and rarely I experienced mild to moderate depression. Concerta is an effective ADHD drug, but the emotional effects can be annoying at times. It is worth consulting your doctor about!"

Isoprophlex July 28, 2016

"I'm 17 and have been taking 18mg Concerta every day for a week and a half. This is the second medication I've tried after being diagnosed with ADHD (I was also diagnosed with major depression). First I tried Adderall, and while it made me feel very alert and productive, I could not handle the severe depressed feelings from the comedown. So far Concerta has made me feel productive and positive for about 3 hours, and then depression slowly creeps in and gets progressively worse for about 8 more hours. It's not as intense as the depression from Adderall (which even led to suicidal thoughts), but it lasts longer. I also become irritable, anxious, and tired. I've also lost weight because trying to eat makes me feel queasy."

ap0819 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

"Yes it helped a lot and i love the fact that i can concentrate now because before i couldn't concentrate at all. The thing is that after a few hours, i start to feel really depressed and really emotionnal but i love the fact that i can express myself better now."

lady2121 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2016

"18mg dose, day 1. Was hungover so took paracetamol, had taken ritalin as a kid and this is the first time I had meds in years, had a migraine, was irritable, tunnel vision, extreme anxiety almost brought to tears, slight suicidal tendancies, hallucinations relating to anxiety and had a hard time articulating myself as my memory was shot and my thoughts were rapid and I felt impulsive and dehydrated very easily, however I feared worse effects from withdrawels so I took it again the next day and I played abit of guitar and that set my mood for the whole day, constantly euphoric. ive just passed day 3 and hardly felt any effect off the drug, overall remained productive and achieved everything I wanted even on worst day. Will see how it goes."

pandarada July 7, 2016

"Do yourself a favor and stay away from this drug. After being on this medication for about a month I began to experience auditory and visual hallucinations, appetite loss, insomnia and heart palpitations. It did nothing to relieve my ADHD either. Doc tried lowering the dosage and changing what time I would take it, but it made little difference. I flushed the rest down the toilet and stopped taking it after 6 months."

Stan G1994 June 22, 2016

" I have been using Concerta for many years. It has helped so much, but the only downside to it is it makes me lose weight. I went off of my meds for about three months and gained 50 pounds. This was because I had the habit of eating whatever I want whenever I want and not gain any weight. I was an A student and as soon as I went off my meds I was getting Fs in all of my classes. I then went back on my meds and within three weeks of me being back on concerta, I lost all of the weight I had gained(because I had to make the habit of not eating so much within those three months), I raised some of my grades to As and some to Ds. I still passed 7th grade because of my circumstance.I have ADD, ADHD, and Cerebral Paulsey."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2016

"I am male, 50 years old and recently diagnosed with ADHD. Started taking Concerta almost 4 weeks ago, and much like everyone else, started at 18mg dosage and now at 54mg. I'm not really sure how Concerta has affected me in my daily life yet, accept perhaps helping me getting into deep sleep and dream again. there are number of symptoms that I like to share with you: - I wasn't much of a forgetful person to start with, but now I tend to forget things - definitely low libido and ejaculation issue - lack of appetite - lost interest talking to people specially woman/ mind you, I'm single - no problems sleeping, though I also take 10mg Cipralex"

Ray1332 June 19, 2016

"Today was my first day taking concerta. I am 19 and have pretty severe ADHD and a little anxiety that coincides with the ADHD. I took 36mg at 8:30 am and kicked in at 10. I definitely noticed it, I felt alert and energetic but not focused, and I still found myself pretty forgetful before leaving for work. By the end of work I felt really emotionless and had a head ache, and when I got home at 6 I began crying for no particular reason. After crying I felt much better and focused very well on school work. Now I feel happier but surprised by how much of a roller coaster the whole day was. Overall I'm not sure this is the medication for me, hoping this reaction is normal and it just takes some time to adjust."

ellesloth19 June 15, 2016

"Iv'e been on comcerta 2 weeks now n just gone up to 36mg I've had ADHD all my life and only just been diagnosed, always wondered why I can be anything I want end up going off the rails! Anyways this medication has basically changed me in a good way, I think if u really have ADHD this medication works n only doesn't work when u haven't got it! First week struggled sleeping but fine now, n theres no loss on my appetite I just don't crave the sugar n junk food that I used to so its a win win for me coz I'm a boxer and been in sport all my life! I can focus proper n its basically a miracle, for me, so far like :)"

micky2016 April 14, 2016

"I've been on this medication since I was 9 I'm 21 now. I've always had trouble in school and it has helped me a lot to concentrate but without it I can't focus at all. I became too dependent on it so now that I am in college I cannot study or find any kind of motivation to stay focused if I'm not on it. It wouldn't be a bad thing if it didn't make me depressed. Recently in this past year I've been taking it almost every day again and have been feeling sad for no reason, always thinking negative and very irritable until I put two and two together. Now trying to get off once I am done with school next month for good."

Jenna D. April 1, 2016

"I began taking Concerta at the age of 13 to treat my ADHD. I'm now 22, still taking 27MG of Concerta daily. Overall it has been helpful with managing my ADHD symptoms, I'm much less distracted and able to stick to one task at a time. It was especially helpful when I was in school because it was just so impossible for me to stay focused in class. As an adult it makes work so much easier for me because my job requires things to be done with a lot of precision. Side effects I've experienced have been headaches (occasionally migraines), inconsistent appetite, restlessness at night, some difficulty sleeping and constant thirst. Despite the side effects I feel that my overall quality of life has improved with taking Concerta to manage my ADHD."

Missdrakerss (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 29, 2016

"Unbelievable! I think and concentrate much better , focus, it does effect for men a little down below, but it makes you focus so you are very hi libido. Men know what I am talking about. It is great for that you mind does not wonder. I've only been on it for a week, it works immediately. And yes you worry because you can see things so good, and you are not used to it. So I get scared, that should go away. try it. you don't like, try something else, controlled substance, hard to get. Psychiatry will get this for you, and you need prior authorization depending on insurance."

Beani February 28, 2016

"I'm 18 years old and have been prescribed 74mg of concerta a day. 3 pills in the morning and one in the afternoon if needed. I had been diagnosed with serve ADHD and this drug has changed the way I learn and study dramatically. It's amazing how confident and focused I am now. I always feel so good on it too, until I'm starving to death. Concerta absolutely kills your appetite. Sad part is I can not even force myself to eat and it has already taken a tole on my weight. I have always been insecure with my body so it is nice losing the extra pounds, however I don't enjoy talking to anyone at school anymore. Even though I feel good all during the school day, I am quiet and hungry."

EmmaJB February 12, 2016

"I've been taking concerta for 3 years now and I'm 18. I started out with 18mg and slowly went up to 54mg. My grades went from really low to average in weeks but the side effects are really crappy. I have troubles sleeping at night and I feel things that aren't there. I also have a big loss of appetite and have to force myself to eat sometimes. I have days where I get really depressed to the point that I don't want to get out of bed and do anything. I also feel really anxious and on edge and I start scratching/ picking at my skin which gave me scars all over my back. I thought about it and went off the pill and my grades suddenly dropped again. The pill really does help with focus and motivation but the side effects are really tough!!!"

Catt11 February 8, 2016

"Found out I had ADHD my sophomore year & was put on this pill. Started at 36mg and I could definitely see changes. Very moody, could not go to sleep at night, I always so jumpy and on the go, but I will have to say it helped A LOT with my troubles on paying attention in school. Went from D's & F's to an honor roll student. The only thing that's really scary for most people is the weight loss it can cause. I weighed 130 my freshman year and in the middle of my junior year I was 94 pounds. So you really have to watch that!"

krako19 February 5, 2016

"I was diagnosed with ADD at the end of grade 6 and started taking concerta in grade 7. I had no idea I had ADD and just though everyone was like me. I had no enthusiasm anything with school but after I took concerta I was like ADHD. So much hyperness and wanting to work. After raising the dose to 36mg I started to get very anxious about my heart feeling like it was beating too fast and was having like a panic attack or something so then I dropped back down to 27mg. The side affects I have is weight loss/loss of appitite, heart palpitations, sleep paraylisis, feelings of excitement. It works for me but I hate the side affects. I also lost 5lbs in one week when I first started and 20lbs in 2 years."

Pianogirl101 January 9, 2016

"I have been taking this for 10 years (started at 18 mg, went up to 36 mg). Recently (several months ago), I developed several horrible side-effects. For example: it made me feel nervous. I could not keep still. It also made me extra irritable (to the point I was yelling at my friends for the littlest things). I also felt depressed (to the point I did not want to get out of bed at all) and could not sleep. The doctor brought me down to 18 mg, symptoms did not improve. I immediately stopped taking this and felt 100% better the next day. The doctor put me on Adderall XR which works a lot better with very little side-effects. Please avoid Concerta if possible."

Anonymous January 7, 2016

"This is not the drug for everyone. I was absolutely miserable on Concerta. I was restless, anxious, needy, fidgety, irritable, and depressed. My psychiatric practitioner attempted to cure these symptoms by prescribing higher doses. I eventually had a meltdown. As soon as I stopped, it was like I was instantly better. I know this drug works wonders for some people, but please be careful."

AbiK January 5, 2016

"I have my son on weekend's and he never seems to want to sleep and he is skin and bones he is rarely hungry?"

chase mother December 27, 2015

"I have been using Concerta for 15 days now. I started out with 18mg for a week and the second week 36mg. I haven't seen any difference by now, which is very dissappointing for me. In fact I feel slighly extra depressed than I already am, but no big difference. Starting tommorow my doctor told me to take 54mg per day. Any suggestions? Is it too soon to see any difference?"

lunalovegood (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2015