User Reviews for Concerta

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Concerta.

Concerta Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Concerta to treat ADHD

"My son, 11, had been on Concerta for two years. We took him off of this med because he was getting very aggressive, with me and his siblings, and also kept saying he was going to kill himself."

Paintlady (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"І am a 28 year old female with ADD and mild form of narcolepsy. Before Concerta, І was tired and sleepy ALL the time and distracted. It’s gotten to the point where іt was affecting my work. І thought enough was enough and went to my doctor. Concerta was the first medication he prescribed and it’s the best. But we experimented with Adderral (good pill but knocked me out at 7:00pm after іt wore off, so іt didn’t address narcolepsy) and Ritalin (heart rate was just insane) and Vyvanse (gave me anxiety that I never had). With Concerta І have 0 side effects, І am never sleepy anymore (but sleep well at night) and distraction levels have decreased significantly. Giving іt a 9 because І am not at 100% with focus. І wish it were slightly stronger."

Akurian (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For a while it was good, I was doing okay in school and focusing more, but the more I increased my dose the worse the quality of life became, my social anxiety went through the roof. The worst part about it for me was that when my dose was 72 mg the cutoff or withdrawal was horrible, as soon as it wore off my face would get a big red rash and would pulsate, and my pores would get huge, this would happen everyday, and it was irritating and made me self conscious, so I took myself off the medication and noticed it stopped. I haven’t been on it since and I would like to start a new medication with less side effects."

Sophmobile November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication worked fantastically for me! When I started taking it I was at the bottom of my class, struggling at school, and within 2 years I'd moved to the top. It totally transformed how I was able to concentrate. I always felt like this allowed me to 'be the real me' because it gave me the focus and patience to do the things I wanted to do. It helped me socially because I was able think and communicate better (more tactfully!) In terms of side effects I can't take it too late in the day or else I wouldn't sleep at night, but nothing else. I know some people have described many more side effects but I didn't get anything like that. The only downside is that after 19 years on the drug, I don't find it as effective anymore."

Woolly Jumper (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Concerta makes you focused and and concentrated. If you wanna get stuff done you can get it done in a breeze. You won’t notice that your enjoying what your doing, what I mean by that is like u know how homework is boring and especially if you have ADHD you have impulse problems, when you take concerta it’s like when your doing it, time passes by a lot and you won’t notice. Like you look at the time and for example it’s 2:30 while your doing your homework like I said the time will be 4:00 when you look back at your phone"

Mustafa2827 October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 20 y/o girl. I was on 54 mg of Concerta once a day. This drug was the worst thing thats ever happened to me. It did help my grades but I felt most of it was placebo and the fact that the side effects were so horrible I wanted to focus on work to distract myself. It made my anxiety unbearable and constant. My heart beat in my head. My whole left arm and pinky would feel numb and prickly. I knew I was hungry but could not eat and was disgusted by food. I fell into a horrible depression and felt just overwhelming darkness. The pros was that it made sitting in long classes and retaining information much easier. I felt excited about learning and getting work done. Overall it helped with school but the side effects are not worth it."

Anonymous October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's amazing how much more focused my 16 year old son is, since he started his daily 36mg Concerta. His work effort and work quality is improved dramatically. Yes, managing his food consumption has been a bit of work. His appetite is definitely not what it used to be, but we're working on it. Although it's only been 3 weeks, we are all thrilled with his response. Good luck to all!"

EJCALI September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son has severe ADHD and Autism. My son was graduated to 36 mg time release Concerta. His behaviour did improve very slightly, however, he lost nearly 10% of his body weight in a short 3 months. We could hardly get him eat. We started to supplement him on an immediate release 10mg Ritalin tablet before school and it was an absolute miracle. We removed the concerta and then increased his Ritalin to 10mg three times a day and its like a new child. While its the same drug, the delivery system is completely different. I firmly believe that the digestive system needs to be looked at for each individual taking Concerta. For my son, the delivery system of the Concerta did nothing positive"

mikeyinto (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Terrible experience. My son is affected with ASD and ADHD. We gave him Concerta for one day by prescription. All symptoms have worsen dramatically, He became extremely nervous and did not sleep a half of night."

SANAVA August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this by my doctor and it was terrible. I stopped taking it after 5 days because my doctor told me to. It made me angry all the time. It did not help my concentration. Also, 3 days after taking it I still have shortness of breathe, my heart is still beating hard, and the left part of my chest has immense pressure on it. I'm never taking this stuff again. Trust me, nobody needs it."

John94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a nine year old son who was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of six. We tried Focalin first and it made him extremely weepy. A month later we tried Vyvanse and had a good experience with it for three years. There was a major rebound effect but we felt lucky to have some relief from symptoms for the hours that we did and dealt with the negatives. We moved from CA to a high altitude state and his meds went haywire. We tried Strattera for two months and he had a stable mood but zero focus. We started Concerta two weeks ago and are extremely happy. We aren't dealing with an afternoon rebound!!!! He is pleasant. He can focus. We are hopeful that the good will continue. I suggest trying this drug or another one if you aren't 100% satisfied."

Carojak (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In early elementary school I was diagnosed with ADHD. It's not common for females to have it. I started on ritalin. It helped, but I stopped taking it in high school because I was worried about the stigma. In University I took it off and on. After graduating, I took it only during major changes because it helped me cope, but I never wanted to rely on it. Now I'm trying to get my career going in the field I want to be in and I'm stressed out of my mind. I have anxiety and my family doc is concerned I'm going through depression. I'm back on Concerta and have been for a few days. It is the 18mg dosage, but while I feel a bit more focused, sadly I feel more focused on my emotions. Hopefully when I move up to 27mg I will be less forgetful and anxious."

28F (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has cause way to many side effects on my 12 year old grandchild. Has cause her body to over develop very fast."

Reis grand (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, which I didn't think I had until I started college. Things then became more clear! I started off on Adderall, which I hated because it made me irritible, jittery, and I found it totally unhelpful. Weary the of stimulants, I switched to Wellbutrin, which helped, but only a little. I decided to give Concerta a shot, as my psychiatrist told me it's like a more specialized version of Ritalin, and I've been amazed by the results! It lasts me most of the day, and I can finally focus on work and conversations! My quality of life is so much better now that I'm on Concerta. I take the 27mg XL dose."

Jeff777 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was late being diagnosed with ADHD, (late 40s) I was diagnosed Bipolar in 1992, but never felt this was the correct diagnosis as my meds never helped me with all the different thoughts going on in my head. As soon as I started concerta, I felt more relaxed, my concentration improved greatly and I could sleep peacefully without any benzodiazepines. I am currently (for over 4 years) on a dose of 72mg, it still is as effective as when I started and luckily I haven't any of the listed side effects. I think if anybody feels they have ADHD they should seek Psychiatric help to do the relevant tests."

Peter55 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had ADHD symptoms growing up, due to cultural reasons and beliefs, family always dismissed it. In 2nd year law school at the moment, had to work 5x harder than others. Started living away from family and finally got ADHD diagnosis done. Was prescribed concerta. I was 154cm height and 47kg before concerta. Titration period - 18mg 1 week, 27mg 1w, 36mg 3w and 54mg 8w. 18-27mg at first was amazing. No side effects, brimming with motivation but, wore in 4h. 36mg, was ok but wasn't as great as the initial effect, wore off after 4h. 54mg, developed an uncontrollable cough, mood swings, dry mouth, anxiety. Lost 5kg weight. Now on Vyvanse. Cough took 2 + weeks since quitting concerta to stop. Advice - if side effects are bad & lasts 1w+ change meds!"

Ricola May 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 21 and I've been taking 72mg (two 36mg barrels) a day since I was about 17. Concerta changed my life. I was failing school and no matter how hard I tried, it didn't change anything. I became depressed, slept for 14+ hours a day, I gave up. Then I was prescribed and it changed my life. It keeps me focused, motivated, and energized. Though, the side effects are very real. I don't sleep much, which is why I usually don't take it on weekends to catch up on sleep. It kills my appetite, so I eat a big breakfast before I take it in the mornings. It does elevate my anxiety, and not saying it's something I suggest.. but I smoke cigarettes to help that. Oh, and I don't know if this is common or not.. But it keeps my digestive track regular!"

Linds3120 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Strattera 60MG for 6 months and am a Male that weighs 185LBS and is 6 ft 2 in. The ATX(Strattera) was not enough to help my severe unmotivation. I recently added on Concerta (alza 18mg generic) to my medications and it has helped dramatically. Like a pair of eyeglasses, I can now "see" my life in a better light. It will not get your work done for you nor will it solve all of your issues that you may have, but it will make life a LOT easier to live. Instead of always worrying and being behind, I can get what is real important done and get to what is important another day. My mood has not been bad, my driving is less road rageish. I'm a LOT less stressed out and anxious. I'm blessed to get help at age 22. I am doing well"

Lostinmythoughts8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was recently prescribed this and let me tell you even with it being a stimulant it has helped my anxiety, I can explain things a lot better. I can focus more - my brain isn't all over the place. I feel a lot more confident my form on my workouts are better, I'm losing a lot of weight though. At 27 years of age I was recently diagnosed with aspergers because of social situations. I am now 28 as I type this. When I was a kid I was first diagnosed as learning disabled. Throughout my teens and early adult hood I was diagnosed with social anxiety, and depression. But I do not care, because my symptoms improved dramatically. I have a really good doctor and therapist. So that's helping as well."

Linkinparkfan88 January 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Male age 47 adhd sufferer.... Been taking concerta xl 36mg for the past 12 years now.. To start with, I didn't understand how the drug would help me.. But now Looking back it has proved to be a fantastic drug that has tweaked the way I live my life.. But I say this with caution, as its not perfect and it caused me a lot of other problems.. Like someone has said on here before it doesn't turn you into a fully focus person. Sorry. Well it hasn't for me but it has helped me over time to stop beating myself up on that bloody roundabout in my mind, and gain a little bit of confidence..Balance of mind ultimately came when I was prescribed antidepressants.. So I use concerta at 4am and antidepressants at 8pm.."

Balance of mind (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Personally, I hated it. During my time on ADHD medication I was almost always in trouble at school, failing classes, suffered from mood swings, from the first grade to the end of the ninth grade and also looked anorexic during that time. Once I got off the medication, I could finally feel like a human being and was happy, but I gained a surprising amount of weight that (5'9" and 110lbs to 5'9" and 162lbs) I have spent the next three almost four years trying to replace the fat with muscle. Getting off the medication was the best thing to happen to me as I could actually pass my classes and graduate high school."

INORUS January 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Concerta has helped me tremendously in school. My grades skyrocketed after only one semester of use. The first day, when I was on 18mg, I could already feel the effect. Now, I only take concerta (27mg) on school days and other days which I know are going to be exhausting. Even on the days I don't take it, I feel happier than before. Concerta gives me motivation so I can actually live, which makes my motivation stick around. I can now socialise without feeling like my energy has been sucked out of me after one conversation. I can now do my homework and chores. I do things in my free time, instead of crashing in bed after a day of school. Though my appetite changed, and I lost a lot of weight, I have a lot to thank concerta for."

Cader January 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 12 yr old son has been on Concerta ER for 9 months after switching from Metadate. He responds quite well to it and his grades are fantastic. He is much less mouthy on it... and rarely gets into trouble at school. So far.. so good."

Twinmom4321 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 20 years old and I did exceedingly well in high school and nursing school without ADHD medication. Once I graduated and moved into the workplace, my ADHD spun completely out of control. I had a very hard time adjusting. This medication has helped me think clearly, focus on tasks and stop me from being so impulsive and rude. My appetite has gone down for sure, but I try to focus on superfoods I can eat in small amounts. I think it's important to have coping strategies and work through your ADHD before jumping straight to medications. I would highly recommend this medication for adults who are struggling, not for children though."

Chaotic nurse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Concerta from 3rd to 11th grade, then again for about a year right after graduation, I ended up forgetting to take them for a while and just started taking them again. For me it takes about a month to actually feel the full affects of it. One thing to keep in mind though is that it doesn't help you focus on homework or work...it just helps you Focus, whether it's on homework or your emotions."

Anonymous December 7, 2016