User Reviews for Concerta

Learn more about Concerta.

Concerta Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Concerta to treat ADHD

"In early elementary school I was diagnosed with ADHD. It's not common for females to have it. I started on ritalin. It helped, but I stopped taking it in high school because I was worried about the stigma. In University I took it off and on. After graduating, I took it only during major changes because it helped me cope, but I never wanted to rely on it. Now I'm trying to get my career going in the field I want to be in and I'm stressed out of my mind. I have anxiety and my family doc is concerned I'm going through depression. I'm back on Concerta and have been for a few days. It is the 18mg dosage, but while I feel a bit more focused, sadly I feel more focused on my emotions. Hopefully when I move up to 27mg I will be less forgetful and anxious."

28F (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug has cause way to many side effects on my 12 year old grandchild. Has cause her body to over develop very fast."

Reis grand (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, which I didn't think I had until I started college. Things then became more clear! I started off on Adderall, which I hated because it made me irritible, jittery, and I found it totally unhelpful. Weary the of stimulants, I switched to Wellbutrin, which helped, but only a little. I decided to give Concerta a shot, as my psychiatrist told me it's like a more specialized version of Ritalin, and I've been amazed by the results! It lasts me most of the day, and I can finally focus on work and conversations! My quality of life is so much better now that I'm on Concerta. I take the 27mg XL dose."

Jeff777 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was late being diagnosed with ADHD, (late 40s) I was diagnosed Bipolar in 1992, but never felt this was the correct diagnosis as my meds never helped me with all the different thoughts going on in my head. As soon as I started concerta, I felt more relaxed, my concentration improved greatly and I could sleep peacefully without any benzodiazepines. I am currently (for over 4 years) on a dose of 72mg, it still is as effective as when I started and luckily I haven't any of the listed side effects. I think if anybody feels they have ADHD they should seek Psychiatric help to do the relevant tests."

Peter55 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had ADHD symptoms growing up, due to cultural reasons and beliefs, family always dismissed it. In 2nd year law school at the moment, had to work 5x harder than others. Started living away from family and finally got ADHD diagnosis done. Was prescribed concerta. I was 154cm height and 47kg before concerta. Titration period - 18mg 1 week, 27mg 1w, 36mg 3w and 54mg 8w. 18-27mg at first was amazing. No side effects, brimming with motivation but, wore in 4h. 36mg, was ok but wasn't as great as the initial effect, wore off after 4h. 54mg, developed an uncontrollable cough, mood swings, dry mouth, anxiety. Lost 5kg weight. Now on Vyvanse. Cough took 2 + weeks since quitting concerta to stop. Advice - if side effects are bad & lasts 1w+ change meds!"

Ricola May 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 21 and I've been taking 72mg (two 36mg barrels) a day since I was about 17. Concerta changed my life. I was failing school and no matter how hard I tried, it didn't change anything. I became depressed, slept for 14+ hours a day, I gave up. Then I was prescribed and it changed my life. It keeps me focused, motivated, and energized. Though, the side effects are very real. I don't sleep much, which is why I usually don't take it on weekends to catch up on sleep. It kills my appetite, so I eat a big breakfast before I take it in the mornings. It does elevate my anxiety, and not saying it's something I suggest.. but I smoke cigarettes to help that. Oh, and I don't know if this is common or not.. But it keeps my digestive track regular!"

Linds3120 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Strattera 60MG for 6 months and am a Male that weighs 185LBS and is 6 ft 2 in. The ATX(Strattera) was not enough to help my severe unmotivation. I recently added on Concerta (alza 18mg generic) to my medications and it has helped dramatically. Like a pair of eyeglasses, I can now "see" my life in a better light. It will not get your work done for you nor will it solve all of your issues that you may have, but it will make life a LOT easier to live. Instead of always worrying and being behind, I can get what is real important done and get to what is important another day. My mood has not been bad, my driving is less road rageish. I'm a LOT less stressed out and anxious. I'm blessed to get help at age 22. I am doing well"

Lostinmythoughts8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was recently prescribed this and let me tell you even with it being a stimulant it has helped my anxiety, I can explain things a lot better. I can focus more - my brain isn't all over the place. I feel a lot more confident my form on my workouts are better, I'm losing a lot of weight though. At 27 years of age I was recently diagnosed with aspergers because of social situations. I am now 28 as I type this. When I was a kid I was first diagnosed as learning disabled. Throughout my teens and early adult hood I was diagnosed with social anxiety, and depression. But I do not care, because my symptoms improved dramatically. I have a really good doctor and therapist. So that's helping as well."

Linkinparkfan88 January 27, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Male age 47 adhd sufferer.... Been taking concerta xl 36mg for the past 12 years now.. To start with, I didn't understand how the drug would help me.. But now Looking back it has proved to be a fantastic drug that has tweaked the way I live my life.. But I say this with caution, as its not perfect and it caused me a lot of other problems.. Like someone has said on here before it doesn't turn you into a fully focus person. Sorry. Well it hasn't for me but it has helped me over time to stop beating myself up on that bloody roundabout in my mind, and gain a little bit of confidence..Balance of mind ultimately came when I was prescribed antidepressants.. So I use concerta at 4am and antidepressants at 8pm.."

Balance of mind (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Personally, I hated it. During my time on ADHD medication I was almost always in trouble at school, failing classes, suffered from mood swings, from the first grade to the end of the ninth grade and also looked anorexic during that time. Once I got off the medication, I could finally feel like a human being and was happy, but I gained a surprising amount of weight that (5'9" and 110lbs to 5'9" and 162lbs) I have spent the next three almost four years trying to replace the fat with muscle. Getting off the medication was the best thing to happen to me as I could actually pass my classes and graduate high school."

INORUS January 11, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Concerta has helped me tremendously in school. My grades skyrocketed after only one semester of use. The first day, when I was on 18mg, I could already feel the effect. Now, I only take concerta (27mg) on school days and other days which I know are going to be exhausting. Even on the days I don't take it, I feel happier than before. Concerta gives me motivation so I can actually live, which makes my motivation stick around. I can now socialise without feeling like my energy has been sucked out of me after one conversation. I can now do my homework and chores. I do things in my free time, instead of crashing in bed after a day of school. Though my appetite changed, and I lost a lot of weight, I have a lot to thank concerta for."

Cader January 5, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 12 yr old son has been on Concerta ER for 9 months after switching from Metadate. He responds quite well to it and his grades are fantastic. He is much less mouthy on it... and rarely gets into trouble at school. So far.. so good."

Twinmom4321 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 1, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a 20 years old and I did exceedingly well in high school and nursing school without ADHD medication. Once I graduated and moved into the workplace, my ADHD spun completely out of control. I had a very hard time adjusting. This medication has helped me think clearly, focus on tasks and stop me from being so impulsive and rude. My appetite has gone down for sure, but I try to focus on superfoods I can eat in small amounts. I think it's important to have coping strategies and work through your ADHD before jumping straight to medications. I would highly recommend this medication for adults who are struggling, not for children though."

Chaotic nurse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 15, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Concerta from 3rd to 11th grade, then again for about a year right after graduation, I ended up forgetting to take them for a while and just started taking them again. For me it takes about a month to actually feel the full affects of it. One thing to keep in mind though is that it doesn't help you focus on homework or work...it just helps you Focus, whether it's on homework or your emotions."

Anonymous December 7, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I was 9 my grades dropped and remained at a c-b average compared to my usual a. It became harder to socialise and eventually I started skipping school 3-4 days out of the week. I had anxiety problems and was on the verge of depression. At the age of 12 my Mom in a last ditch effort put me on Concerta, which did not magically fix anything but within the next 2 years I was attending school regularly and my grades got better.(from an Asian family, grades are everything) I have to say I'm much better but I took a 8 month break and returned to a 36 dosage which makes me sick all day, headaches and problems sleeping. I can barely eat a half a meal without having to force it down."

Whitey white December 3, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My daughter's pediatrician told me to give her 1 pill before 9:00 a.m. daily. I gave her the pill at 8:30 a.m. and all day she was amazing then suddenly out of no where at 10:30 p.m. she said she just couldn't fall asleep, her hands and feet wouldn't stop moving, her mouth was moving extremely weird, and she said she was jittery. My daughter finally fell asleep at 6:30 a.m. and didn't receive another dose again but had problems for 5 more nights with sleep."

Isa06 (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking Concerta since 2003. For me it's the only ADHD medication that works. It calms me down, I talk at a speed others can understand and my thoughts don't run off. The side effects I get from it are .loss of appetite(growing up I was underweight for this reason) . Trouble sleeping(I ended up needing a medication for this but am currently not on one) .Dry mouth (drink lots of water).... I have also been diagnosed with major depression and bipolar after years of taking Concerta (diagnosed in 2007 and 2013 respectively (both are genetic in my family)). Drugs effect each person differently. If you decide to take Concerta I would suggest keeping track of you side effect and how often they occur and talk to you M.D or N.P."

Vanenyx (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 10 year old was prescribed Concerta after having an allergic reaction to Adderal. Well this was not much better. He was nauseous and dizzy and his resting heart rate was 160. He only took 1 dose, and he will not be taking any more. Awful stuff"

Hpmom November 4, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 30 started taking this due to excessive daydreaming and quite frankly not getting anything done. Could not focus for more than 10 minutes before a thought would come and get distracted by it. Apartment was in a mess. Priorities are all over the place. Wanted to do so many things and all at the same time. So I went to the doctor and left with a prescription for Concerta 18-27-36mg.I don't know if he had the right diagnosis but shit is getting done and everything is great. Less tired, less naps, did not take a nap since I started this. Now I'm at the 36mg step. Truth is the drug is only 10% of the solution. Once you know you can do something, you have to keep that mindset and go with it or else you will take this drug forever and ever."

Daydreamer101 October 29, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ive had a history abusing Adderall here and there due to my addictive nature so being prescribed this medicine raised concerns between my family and doctor. Because of my horrible ADHD we decided to give it a chance and its nothing compared to the 'kick in the nuts' Adderall is known for. My grades have improved in school, my mood is slightly elevated and my cavings for sugar have ceased. It has not affected my sleep and so far works great. This is my experience and everyone reacts differently. I highly suggest this medication for anyone like me who has ADHD and possible addiction issues. Its rate of abuse is very slim because it seems to 'ceiling' like Suboxone for opiate addicts. Lets go build some robots!"

astrobear (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was on Concerta xl for 7 days and had to come off it due to the unbearable side effects of the drug. I was diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive sub type) generalised anxiety and depression. This drug made me feel very nauseous, gave me a headache, made me shake, gave me twitches throughout my body, messed my brain up in terms of cognition etc, made me very aware of my heartbeat, made me extremely anxious to the point of not being able to leave my room or communicate with anyone and just generally messed me up. At one point i was doing some stretching on a yoga mat to try and calm myself down and i felt so confused that i didn't know what to do with my legs. This drug wasn't for me and caused an unpleasant experience."

Dwayne2016 October 11, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So i was diagnosed with inattentive type ADHD about a month or two ago. I'm 19 and in second year university. I struggle to take in information in distracting settings like big lecture halls, have tough time focusing, and my organization skills have always been poor. So my doctor prescribed 18mg concerta. I've taken it for a week so far and I'm loving the results. Im now always listening in lectures, always focusing on what the prof is saying. My room, car, desk is now more organized than it has ever been, and its stayed that way so far! Many people complain about lack of appetite but I haven't noticed that at all! Ive noticed two minor side effects so far. Headaches that start later in the day, as well as some minor irritability."

nr69 September 7, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on 18 mg concerta for 3 days. I'm a 39 year old woman with ADHD-PI with anxiety. The 1st day I felt fluey and extremely tired, but very mellow and happy, nevertheless it didn't do a thing for focus/Attention. The 2nd day I felt inconsistent fluctuations with my mental clarity/focus. Also, there were fluctuations in Tiredness, I had to drink caffeine twice in the day on order to kind of function. Also my appetite became enormous. I still felt quite calm and centered though, which was nice for a change. 3rd day was more of the same from the 2nd day, but my appetite was less. I'm wondering if I should keep taking this."

RjoyD September 6, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"just got diagnosed with add and im 19yrs old the doc prescribe me 36mg concerta and this my second day taking the pill and i still feel the same"

scoob123 August 23, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been taking Concerta XL for a while with a steady titration from 18mg up to 81mg. I take it around 9am each morning and the first few hours are very restless. However by early noon say 1-2pm I go into a slow sometimes dragging comedown which makes me sleepy and therefore having a knap during the day. This leads to an almost sleepless night which can upset my brain in many ways. Positives: Alert, talkative, sociable and above all CONCENTRATE. Negatives: Jaw Clenching (gurning), sweaty, sleepless night (because of the midday knap) All in all I have tried alteting dosage times in the morning and I can quite easily eat without feeling nausea. Weight loss is noticable but at a good stable rate. Many people have to give Concerta a chance."

Mr ADHD (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2016