User Reviews for Concerta to treat ADHD

Concerta Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Concerta

Pat1414 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

“Having suffered with Depression and ADHD as an adult, honestly this medication is a godsend. I'm only on 18mg (Extended release) and take it with Wellbutrin (for the depression) and I must say it's a life changer! (The X release makes a big difference - blood levels are more stable) No more emotional moods, no more crying, no more feeling like dying, no more negative thoughts. Also, you can concentrate for long periods of time and not get frustrated and be very clear minded. I can study for 6 hours straight! After trying so many medications, this just works. Side effects: Fast heart beat, LOTS of energy and maybe a libido boost. Really good for adult ADHD and Depression. Please note. Everyone is different. You might have a different experience.”

Sunny · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2020

“It took a while to get used to but I weigh about 160 lb. and take 54mg daily now. Overall, it just makes it so much easier to be focussed and organized, with the meds I can actually keep routines. Biggest side effect for me is the appetite loss, I lost 30 lb within the 1st 6 months. Thankfully, that has lessened a lot and I’ve gained some of the weight back but definitely something to consider if you have concerns about being under weight or disordered eating. As well, if you try to have caffeine, nicotine, sativa, or any stimulants you’re going to feel like absolute garbage, so follow the doctors order and avoid them. Only other warning you might not find online is that the brand name Concerta is expensive and not always covered (in BC, Canada). It wasn’t covered by my university health plan but it’s covered by my work plan with blue cross. For 90 tablets of 54mg Concerta (brand name, my doctor told me not to take the generic) it costs 400$.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 23, 2020

“I was diagnosed with mixed type ADHD at 25, far later than most. I started at 18mg and have been slowly bumped up to 36mg. Overall, my working/short term memory, energy levels, and mood have improved moderately. Unfortunately, I somehow burn through the medication in less than 6 hours and crash halfway through work almost every day. This drug has helped a lot but it isn't perfect for my brain chemistry.”

John · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2020

“I am in my early thirties and very recently started drug trials for ADHD. After trying Vyvanse which didn't work out I moved to concerta. On the lowest dose I had concerns, as it seemed to make my ADHD symptoms worse. I became more irritable and more distracted. After a week I moved the dose up the next level and had a terrible day. Extremely irritable, so lethargic I could do almost nothing all day, difficult time sleeping... I had difficulty dealing with my children if they did the slightest thing wrong. Concerta is not for me, I will try something else.”

Joe · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

“Does what it’s supposed to do, but makes me miserable while it’s at it.”

Maythe · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

“I used to take the 36 mg dose, but it didn’t really help my forgetfulness and sleepiness symptoms.”

Storm · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2020

“I was diagnosed a year ago after numerous diagnoses, with ADHD. I was put on Concerta 54 and I'm a different person. I'm happy, calm, still bit anxious but I'm better everyday. Fantastic medication”

Seabass February 11, 2020

“My 9 year old son has been on 18 mg of it for a month now and it truly is a miracle! We literally noticed a difference in him the very first day. His appetite has actually increased! His sleep has not been affected..He actually goes to bed now the first time we tell him to. He will still express that he doesn't feel tired and that he doesn't want to go to bed but when we tell him that he needs to he just goes to his bed without the fighting or trying to do anything else to stop from going to bed. He is more loving and affectionate now whereas before he was always so defiant. He does cry a bit easier now but it's better than the anger he felt before. He's helpful and considerate and empathetic. We reluctantly gave him this drug and it has saved my marriage and our overall quality of life has improved drastically. He did a presentation in school and received an A! Just try it.... You will know right away if this works for you..hopefully you are one of the lucky ones.”

C11 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

“I've struggled with ADHD and depression for about half my life, I started this medication around 3 months ago. I take the 54 mg dose. I've tried probably every antidepressant there is, and quite a few for anxiety. But this I think personally Concerta has helped quite a bit in regards to both. Because of it I've been able to wean off my antidepressant and no longer have to take it. The appetite suppressant does help me out since I'm working on weight loss, but it can also be a struggle to eat at times or find a food that is appetizing in general because of it. And the medication can cause constipation and dry mouth, which is inconvenient. Overall, I think it's helped me a lot in focusing on course work and it's intended purpose.”

TomTucker · Taken for 10 years or more January 24, 2020

“I've been on this medication for about 14 YEARS now. And I love it but hate it. It's considered an abusable drug now so getting and filling this prescription is absolutely insane. I have to take a pee test to get the script 4 times a year, then a pre-approval from the doctor, THEN I can buy it for $30 instead of $300. I wish I was joking. As far as the drug itself it's great! High focus, low appetite, it's great. The only problem is it makes my hand spasm and sometimes it can mess with your head. But all meds have cons.”

Kiki · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 23, 2020

“Works well”

Biff · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2020

“I have been taking this for 4 months now. I rather be on Ritalin LA than this stuff. But money. Right now I can only afford this because I am getting financial aid through johnson and johnson. The plus side with this medication is that it works when I have plenty of sleep, and have some sort of workout schedule. But right now being in school, it barely gets me to do my homework. But once I am studying, I can focus. So it does help. But I have zero side affects. The reason I liked Ritalin LA is because I never felt hunger, and the focus was awesome. Concerta is very clean, I react perfectly with it, but we work with what we can.”

Jack · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

“My 9 year old son has struggled for years, in school and at home. Impulsive behaviour, anger, inappropriateness. I always fear the worst and avoided medication for 2 years. It’s been one week since he has been on 18 mg concerta, and it’s been a lifesaver. He enjoys school now, not getting in trouble, he’s so much better at home as well. No side effects so far, eating and sleeping no problem. So happy we choose this path Hopefully self esteem and relationships can be saved:)”

Janedoe · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 13, 2019

“I've severe ADHD was diagnosed at 39 took a year before I was put on elvanse (lisdexamfetamine in UK) currently 70mg only problem it wears off after 4 hours can take manic impulsive spending or stealing stupid stuff. people with ADHD like to do risky things because they get a dopermine release both my boys were on concerta as children it affected their growth”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 12, 2019

“I have been talking concerta 18mg for 5 years or so now. The first years were really smooth and it did really help me. Before getting on it I was suffering from depression and I almost dropped out of college due to the number of courses that I had failed, but then I was diagnosed with ADHD and since then, with a dose of 18mg/day of concerta I managed to graduate. The depression never really went away but it definitely got milder. My panic attacks decreased to the point where I almost never had them anymore. A few years back, my doctor suggested to try taking the 36mg ones, but for me this didn't work because I felt kinda lost and foggy. So all in all concerta did wonders for me until half to one year ago. I have severe insomnia and I get irritated really easily. I had some milder panic attacks but I also had two that were really intense. I have lost weight even though I eat the same. In general I think that for me after 4-5yrs, the drug is starting to show its side effects.”

Love · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 3, 2019

“This drug is atrocious, especially if you also suffer from bipolar disorder with psychotic features. I have increased anxiety, hallucinations, paranoia, and mood swings from this drug. In the meantime, it has done some things for my severe attention deficit disorder symptoms. Nevertheless, the side effects are horrible. I am cold, constipated, yet sweaty. I am in pain. I have extreme bloating whenever I am late by a few hours for my dose. The insomnia is unfathomably severe. I have undergone rapid weight loss on this drug. I have no appetite and must force-feed myself despite also being on antipsychotics. Do not even use methylphenidate stimulants if you have psychosis.”

positivevibes · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2019

“I started taking Concerta due to being diagnosed with ADD. I started off at 18mg and I could see a bit of a difference when it came to reading, writing, and focusing on what people were saying in conversations. It also helped with some of my impulsivity like shopping and binge eating. At my next psychiatrist appointment, we upped the dose to 36mg. BIG MISTAKE. Since I’m Bipolar as well, it sent me into a dysphoric hypomanic episode. I would get angry at everything around me and pick things a part that people would say, (it’s almost like a bad PMS episode lol). This med works, just be cautious if you’re bipolar.”

Evil · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 23, 2019

“What is this stuff? It gives me a psychotic episode yet be incapable of increasing my attention span by five seconds.”

bisexpo · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2019

“This medication Concerta was excellent at first. It was like my miracle drug. It worked great for focus and gave me lots of energy. But before I knew it I was needing more and more of it for it to be effective. I got to the highest dose pretty fast, then it would make me totally crash at 2pm after taking it at 7am. So from 2pm to when I go to bed I am exhausted and can barely move. My attention gets bad and I got depressed. So if you’re thinking of taking Concerta just remember that at first it’s great but then it stops working. I don’t know how it is for kids, it might be totally different as I am in my 30s.”

Brian · Taken for 10 years or more November 19, 2019

“I started taking Concerta when I was around 5 due to my severe ADHD which would cause me to get into trouble a lot at school and not be able to pay attention. Over the years it helped a lot with school and I had good grades and excelled in high level sports and the medication worked well for me. Over the last summer I didn’t take my medication and things were great and I was enjoying life. Fast forward to now and I’m on a 47mg dose (27mg and 18mg pill taken at the same time) and have felt like I am a robot and have no emotions and it has effected my social life so much that my friends said that it’s like they don’t even know me. I’ve become depressed and started pushing myself away from people that I care about the most. This medication did help me but has now flipped my life upside down. I just had my medication switched to vyvanse and I’m hoping that things go better than they did with concerta”

Hyper · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 12, 2019

“I take a Concerta 54mg, it helps me a lot but there are two side effects. 1) Sometimes mucks up my heart's rhythm. Obviously, that's why I have these check-ups with my doctor to test my pulses and find any indication of a bad cause. 2) Drink alcohol after taking one and you'll maybe get some scary results too. It's better to skip out on it for 2-3 days before joining a party. Otherwise, great for your concentration and focus many times more than without. See that as a boost in your system.”

Penelope · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2019

“I started Concerta in August after Vyvance gave me bad side effects. I began at 36mg and now I take 54mg. Being on this has helped me SO much with class work and anxiety- I no longer have anxiety spirals like before! I’m actually interested in my uni classes, and I’m getting better grades. The best part of Concerta is that it stops my obsessive anxiety. I can control my thoughts now- this is something I was never capable of in the past. It gives me a sense of mental relaxation that I’ve never had, and it’s life changing. I feel on edge, kind of jumpy, and alert, but no uncontrollable anxiety like before. At first, I had some weird side effects, like tics, shakiness, lack of appetite, and peripheral hallucinations, but these side effects are SO worth not having the terrible anxiety like I used to. Concerta helps me feel more sure of myself because I’m not spacing out on information or having anxiety attacks. I feel more confident and capable. It’s wonderful!”

brucewayyne · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

“I have been on this medication (Concerta HCL) for a week now, 29-year-old male with ADHD. I have not found this to work for me and hope I can get something else. I take it early in the morning and feel nothing after an hour of taking it. The only thing it does for me is keeping me up at night when I need rest. I will say that when it does kick in at night I was able to focus more than before but, nothing has been life-changing.”

Axeman · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2019

“Concerta has been a Life-changing drug. My studies have become more interesting and I have a long attention span. I wakeup before tests to study and have more motivation to do laborious tasks. It has helped with my learning disabilities in regards to memorization, math, and writing. I can read without checking my phone every minute. The downsides are you become anti-social, don't eat lunch and don't have much as a sex drive. Once the medication wears off you become hungry and return to normal. In my opinion, the benefits outweigh the cons. I do believe I have developed a tolerance so I will be upping my dosage from 36mg to 54mg in the near future. If you are struggling in school this medication is for you! I wish I had this earlier in my life so I could choose a more challenging major.”

Kia · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2019

“The first day I took it I didn’t notice a difference but once I started taking it and going to work I noticed a huge difference. I was actually working! I wasn’t getting yelled at for sitting around doing nothing and I was actually finishing my jobs. It worked for a bit but we frequently have to up the dose for it to continue working and when I try to go without it I’m irritable but so far the only times I’ve ever been able to have a real conversation with someone is while taking this medication.”