User Reviews for Concerta

Concerta Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Concerta to treat ADHD

"I grew up with severe panic attacks. When I was 19 up until the age of 27, I stayed in my room. I couldn't leave my house. I had/have severe anxiety and depression Years went by and I lost hope. I didn't have a job; I was a loser. I took a mindfulness class and after each mindfulness tape, I noticed I was in extreme pain; more so than the other people sitting around me. It was then that I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was prescribed adderall and Vyvanse for my adhd but they made me extremely tired. Currently, I am on cymbalta, concerta, and Remeron. With this combination, I began a full time job. I have been employed for 7 months and I would be lost without Concerta. If you're looking for a drug that is similar to Wellbutrin, Concerta is the answer. Do not give up hope. Never give up hope. Don't take 'no' for an answer and if a doctor is diagnosing you incorrectly, leave and find a different doctor. There is a right combination of medication out there for you. Never give up!"

29 female April 15, 2018

"I was recently switched from my Adderall XR 10mg to Concerta 18mg because my insurance didn't want to cover my Adderall until I tried Concerta. The transition has been terrible. I've only been on the medication for 5 days and it has been horrible. I was optimistic going in because I've never tried it before, but it has been a rough 5 days. On Concerta my restlessness is worse, I have no desire to eat because the thought of food disgusts me, I get headaches, I have zero motivation to do anything, and I feel extremely down/apathetic. I've heard this medication works for some people, but it was horrible for me. I'm so glad I can switch back to Adderall."

ADHDer (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

"I was on Vyvanse but since I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, I wanted to try other meds to see whats the most effective. I tried Concerta and it was awful. It didn't do anything for concentration, made me feel nauseous, stomach aches and some crazy anxiety. Went back on vyvanse! At least now I know I don't react well to Methylphenidate meds."

Dx March 28, 2018

"I've been on concerta for ADHD for almost 2 months and feel better than in 25 years. I also suffered with depression and anxiety. My depression and anxiety are better, I feel alive and myself for first time in decades. I can get things done. I forgot to take citalapram 20mg/celexa last week and now haven't taken citalapram for 6 days and feel great. I am concerned as when I tried to stop citalapram in the past I felt crazy and could not do it and that was using step downs method - this is cold turkey. It seems somehow the concerta is offsetting weaning off symptoms so I hope this all lasts. It is a life saver. I was so tired of being depressed, overwhelmed, pretty lethargic, overweight. It is great to feel excited and not have food cravings."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

"This med is the worst thing. I feel completely numb to everything. Only sometimes does it make my depression worse because I'm not able to express myself because of the numbness the medicine causes me. I hate I wish I could change meds but my mom and doctor seem to think this is good for me"

lacey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2018

"It did help me to calm my brain, but it gave me a very fast heart rate, anxiety, and caused me to loose weight. My normal weight is about 140 and at my lowest on concerta I weighed 123. It did help with the ADD, but didn't work completely, so I stopped taking it because the side effects outweighed the help."

Viv (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"I was seven years old when I was diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Concerta. I took this medication for three years and there were definitely a lot of changes. Yes, I was able to focus in school I remember that. I remember while on the medication I always wanted to try and do my best. But I was never hungry, never tired, never wanted friends, never wanted to talk. I was like a zombie. I remember being bullied by other students because they thought I was weird. I remember crying all the time because I was always sad. Once I stopped taking the medication I finally gained weight and started talking; as well as paying attention in class. Concerta may have helped me focus more, but it took away three years of my childhood that I can hardly remember now. I will never be the same."

KaitlynnLouden February 20, 2018

"Like many others this has definitely changed my life also. I can function and do things I never thought possible."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 16, 2018

"I have both ADHD and mild/moderate narcolepsy. I have been on concerta for 9 months. I had not taken any medication til I was a teenager (my parents were very against it) so I took Wellbutrin for a while to help with depression and my ADHD and narcolepsy however it was not strong enough, so I switched to concerta and am taking 36 MG. It changed my life. For years I could not go a day without taking a nap, could not focus at all in class. I just started college a few months ago and got a 4.0 my first semester which seemed impossible for me years ago. I can finally focus and stay awake, I cried a lot at first because I was so not used to this!! The only negative parts are insomnia, anxiety, and irritability. I recommend having the same bedtime every night and having something like melatonin on hand to combat this. Also take your concerta at least 12 hours before you plan on going to bed. These side effects aren't horrible though, the good by far outweighs the bad!"

avery48 February 13, 2018

"I have a love-hate relationship with Concerta. The pros of the drug are that I can put two and two together, stick with mundane tasks (and look forward to them), read long, boring documents and catch errors, etc. The cons are the side effects- no sex drive, (sometimes) anxiety, a weird "aura" or buzz that lasts for awhile and depression. Lately I've been using natural treatments that are effective. Overall, though, Concerta did help me."

Pacercop (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 29, 2018

"This medication was literally life changing for my son with ADHD (impulsive and hyperactive). He had impulsive, hyoeractive and aggressive behavior and they tried other meds like antipsychotics which made him worse! He started concerta (after I demanded a stimulant) and he is a different child - able to focus, not as impulsive and hyperactive and the aggression is gone!"

Kattyh (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2018

"My son, 11, had been on Concerta for two years. We took him off of this med because he was getting very aggressive, with me and his siblings, and also kept saying he was going to kill himself."

Paintlady (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2017

"І am a 28 year old female with ADD and mild form of narcolepsy. Before Concerta, І was tired and sleepy ALL the time and distracted. It’s gotten to the point where іt was affecting my work. І thought enough was enough and went to my doctor. Concerta was the first medication he prescribed and it’s the best. But we experimented with Adderral (good pill but knocked me out at 7:00pm after іt wore off, so іt didn’t address narcolepsy) and Ritalin (heart rate was just insane) and Vyvanse (gave me anxiety that I never had). With Concerta І have 0 side effects, І am never sleepy anymore (but sleep well at night) and distraction levels have decreased significantly. Giving іt a 9 because І am not at 100% with focus. І wish it were slightly stronger."

Akurian (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 15, 2017

"For a while it was good, I was doing okay in school and focusing more, but the more I increased my dose the worse the quality of life became, my social anxiety went through the roof. The worst part about it for me was that when my dose was 72 mg the cutoff or withdrawal was horrible, as soon as it wore off my face would get a big red rash and would pulsate, and my pores would get huge, this would happen everyday, and it was irritating and made me self conscious, so I took myself off the medication and noticed it stopped. I haven’t been on it since and I would like to start a new medication with less side effects."

Sophmobile November 14, 2017

"This medication worked fantastically for me! When I started taking it I was at the bottom of my class, struggling at school, and within 2 years I'd moved to the top. It totally transformed how I was able to concentrate. I always felt like this allowed me to 'be the real me' because it gave me the focus and patience to do the things I wanted to do. It helped me socially because I was able think and communicate better (more tactfully!) In terms of side effects I can't take it too late in the day or else I wouldn't sleep at night, but nothing else. I know some people have described many more side effects but I didn't get anything like that. The only downside is that after 19 years on the drug, I don't find it as effective anymore."

Woolly Jumper (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2017

"Concerta makes you focused and and concentrated. If you wanna get stuff done you can get it done in a breeze. You won’t notice that your enjoying what your doing, what I mean by that is like u know how homework is boring and especially if you have ADHD you have impulse problems, when you take concerta it’s like when your doing it, time passes by a lot and you won’t notice. Like you look at the time and for example it’s 2:30 while your doing your homework like I said the time will be 4:00 when you look back at your phone"

Mustafa2827 October 29, 2017

"I am a 20 y/o girl. I was on 54 mg of Concerta once a day. This drug was the worst thing thats ever happened to me. It did help my grades but I felt most of it was placebo and the fact that the side effects were so horrible I wanted to focus on work to distract myself. It made my anxiety unbearable and constant. My heart beat in my head. My whole left arm and pinky would feel numb and prickly. I knew I was hungry but could not eat and was disgusted by food. I fell into a horrible depression and felt just overwhelming darkness. The pros was that it made sitting in long classes and retaining information much easier. I felt excited about learning and getting work done. Overall it helped with school but the side effects are not worth it."

Anonymous October 9, 2017

"It's amazing how much more focused my 16 year old son is, since he started his daily 36mg Concerta. His work effort and work quality is improved dramatically. Yes, managing his food consumption has been a bit of work. His appetite is definitely not what it used to be, but we're working on it. Although it's only been 3 weeks, we are all thrilled with his response. Good luck to all!"

EJCALI September 14, 2017

"My son has severe ADHD and Autism. My son was graduated to 36 mg time release Concerta. His behaviour did improve very slightly, however, he lost nearly 10% of his body weight in a short 3 months. We could hardly get him eat. We started to supplement him on an immediate release 10mg Ritalin tablet before school and it was an absolute miracle. We removed the concerta and then increased his Ritalin to 10mg three times a day and its like a new child. While its the same drug, the delivery system is completely different. I firmly believe that the digestive system needs to be looked at for each individual taking Concerta. For my son, the delivery system of the Concerta did nothing positive"

mikeyinto (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

"Terrible experience. My son is affected with ASD and ADHD. We gave him Concerta for one day by prescription. All symptoms have worsen dramatically, He became extremely nervous and did not sleep a half of night."

SANAVA August 12, 2017

"I was prescribed this by my doctor and it was terrible. I stopped taking it after 5 days because my doctor told me to. It made me angry all the time. It did not help my concentration. Also, 3 days after taking it I still have shortness of breathe, my heart is still beating hard, and the left part of my chest has immense pressure on it. I'm never taking this stuff again. Trust me, nobody needs it."

John94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

"I have a nine year old son who was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of six. We tried Focalin first and it made him extremely weepy. A month later we tried Vyvanse and had a good experience with it for three years. There was a major rebound effect but we felt lucky to have some relief from symptoms for the hours that we did and dealt with the negatives. We moved from CA to a high altitude state and his meds went haywire. We tried Strattera for two months and he had a stable mood but zero focus. We started Concerta two weeks ago and are extremely happy. We aren't dealing with an afternoon rebound!!!! He is pleasant. He can focus. We are hopeful that the good will continue. I suggest trying this drug or another one if you aren't 100% satisfied."

Carojak (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

"In early elementary school I was diagnosed with ADHD. It's not common for females to have it. I started on ritalin. It helped, but I stopped taking it in high school because I was worried about the stigma. In University I took it off and on. After graduating, I took it only during major changes because it helped me cope, but I never wanted to rely on it. Now I'm trying to get my career going in the field I want to be in and I'm stressed out of my mind. I have anxiety and my family doc is concerned I'm going through depression. I'm back on Concerta and have been for a few days. It is the 18mg dosage, but while I feel a bit more focused, sadly I feel more focused on my emotions. Hopefully when I move up to 27mg I will be less forgetful and anxious."

28F (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

"This drug has cause way to many side effects on my 12 year old grandchild. Has cause her body to over develop very fast."

Reis grand (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

"I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, which I didn't think I had until I started college. Things then became more clear! I started off on Adderall, which I hated because it made me irritible, jittery, and I found it totally unhelpful. Weary the of stimulants, I switched to Wellbutrin, which helped, but only a little. I decided to give Concerta a shot, as my psychiatrist told me it's like a more specialized version of Ritalin, and I've been amazed by the results! It lasts me most of the day, and I can finally focus on work and conversations! My quality of life is so much better now that I'm on Concerta. I take the 27mg XL dose."

Jeff777 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017