User Reviews for Prozac

7.4
Postpartum Depression 2 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Prozac reviews 524 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Prozac

For Depression "Disclaimer: this is MY personal experience Started Prozac at age 19 after issues with Effexor and after a few months I felt on top of the world--the happiest I had ever been. This was short lived. After 6 or so months something inside me snapped. Sex drive=0. My conscious turned into someone that wasn't me. Never heard voices before but they became overwhelming/evil & I couldn't shake the suicidal thoughts. I ended up quitting cold turkey as I noticed myself double dosing, then triple dosing. My sex drive is still 0, I've gained a ton of weight, and have been dealing with severe depression without meds because I'm scared to take them again."

Agirlandhercats August 16, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I feel fantastic I feel a massive change in myself I'm less aggressive anxious depressed and agitated I'm more patient with things and people as I suffered with social anxiety I'm more outgoing and thinking clearer I feel on top of the world and have lost 13kg as my appetite has decreased rapidly"

Shellsheree August 14, 2016

For Depression "I starting on Sertraline 3 years ago and felt that my body had got used to it and wasn't getting any effect after a year. My GP then put me on Fluoxetine 20mg. To start it took about 5-6 weeks to really begin to feel calmer and less sensitive to daily stresses and I had an amazing sleep but the effects began to wear off after a year. My GP then increased my dose to 60mg as I was going through a really stressful time at work and couldn't cope. Thankfully work has been better and I've changed my role but I've started to feel really depressed and have been having suicidal thoughts which I never used to have. I have really vivid dreams and I'm starting to get home from work, take the dog out, make dinner and once all my chores are done then I g"

Scottish1975 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2016

For Depression "26 y/o male no history of depression but some acute episodes (a few weeks back in high school). Began taking 10 mg prozac daily 3 weeks ago after struggling with major depressive disorder following job loss, relationship break-up and move back home with family. After 3 weeks have noticed marked improvement in mood and wellbeing. I would HIGHLY recommend to someone who can also engage in healthy diet, aerobic and anaerobic exercise, healthy social life and some engaging work. Thank you prozeezy!"

Overcome2016 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

For Depression "I haven't been on this drug for long, but I have been on several different SSRIs before and haven't seen much improvement. So far, this seems to be the only antidepressant that's worked for me and hasn't given me too many side effects. I was on Luvox, which wasn't helping at all for any of the multiple conditions it was prescribed to treat, and was recently switched to an equivalent dose of Prozac. Ever since starting it, I've had more energy and have been able to smile, laugh, and overall just feel like a normal person. For me, in combination with Seroquel and Wellbutrin, this is a wonder drug."

Xelleld (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

For Depression "Fluoxetine/prozac 20mg for depression/anxiety. Within 4 hours of taking it at 4pm I truely felt better by 8 pm and happier not sure it was the meds at first or believing it to be working?,had done a lot research before taking it positives and negatives so have an open mind about prozac,certainly felt better quickly after initail dose!. First 2 weeks slight headaches,bit spaced initially,groggy,dry mouth,difficult concentrate,but I did feel like this whilst depressed! Now 3rd week its kicked in after 2 weeks and I feel calmer relaxed able to think clearly not foggy mind feel focused happier motivated. This drug has dealt with anxiety&depression,100%,I was worrying everything,sleep is OK now,no sexual dysfunction yet!. Good luck."

Jack.... 60yrs old... uk. (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I was put on Prozac (20mg) for severe OCD and anxiety 2 years ago and took it for a little bit over a year and it helped tremendously. I was dumb and stopped taking it and over the course of 5-6 months my OCD and anxiety slowly got worse to the point where I had been when I first started taking the medicine. I just started back up on it about 3 weeks ago and the first week on it was bad for me. I had lots of anxiety and suicidal thoughts. But here recently I'm starting to notice some improvement in my anxiety. Don't stop taking Prozac just because you feel better. I found out the hard way and it's not worth it."

pr72 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I was placed on the generic of Prozac 6 weeks ago. I have social anxiety (always have) and my doctor told me that it was related to an OCD/depression and could possibly be PTSD. All of this confused me but made sense at the same time because I have always suspected all of these. She told me prozac would greatly help with my anxiety problems. Since being on prozac the only changes I have really noticed are extreme fatigue during the day, lessened appetite (which is good because I have been overeating for a while), and I feel like it has helped my relationship a bit. I don't seem to get as agitated as fast (but i have bad days sometimes). I do however feel like I zone out a lot now and forget what I'm saying sometimes."

NursC16 July 30, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "Well my diagnosis is hard to explain... The doctor says that I'm bipolar but in all actuality I'm on a bad high. I'm always extremely hyper (or anxious) but have all the symptoms of depression! I have lack of concentration and I am not able to keep things in my head straight, like starting one thing before finishing the other. I am now on day 12 of 20mg and almost instantly I could tell a difference when I started talking it. But mind you I'm also on deprekote and at the same time he upped that dosage by 500mg! But I'm so much calmer now and I am feeling so much better. And I'm in this for the long haul. The side affects were very minimal for me, out of 12 days just two days my stomach has hurt but the others I really felt very full ."

Kb67 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I am 25 years old and I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for most of my life. My GP prescribed me Fluoxetine 20mg and I have been taking it for 2 months now. I could see results within the first 2 weeks - things that bothered me everyday were slowly diminishing. It's not like they weren't in the back of my mind but it's almost like a wall was keeping me from thinking about those issues excessively. Essentially I don't care about petty things anymore and I am genuinely happy now! I still have anxiety/panic attacks but they are not as extreme as they once were. I did have side effects initially: indigestion, headache, fatigue, weakness, yawning, loss of appetite, and nausea. Those have diminished greatly now."

knew4897 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "This medication did not work for me at all. It could possibly be because I don't metabolize SSRI's very well but I could not feel any sort of change when on this. It helped a little with my minor OCD which I why I stayed on it for so long but after awhile it just triggered what my doctor said was an underlying mood disorder because I started flip flopping between being content or even emotionless, and being severely depressed. This medication did not help me but I'm not going to say it wouldn't work for other people. I just couldn't take the side effects."

Sydney8445 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I started taking Prozac about a month ago for anxiety and depression. I had been in therapy for about 8 months prior to this for the same reasons. I had made several lifestyle changes before trying Prozac. I quit smoking, drinking caffeine and alcohol, and started exercising more. None of this was helping my anxiety (main problem). My anxiety was especially bad during my menstrual cycle, so I talked to my Dr. and he prescribed Prozac. I waited 2 months to take it because I had never taken an AD before and was scared. But once I did I was so glad! Prozac has honestly changed my life for the better. I believe I was much more depressed than I realized before taking it and my anxiety has completely disappeared."

Alahet (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

For Depression "Having a history of family heath problems it was my time to develop one of my own, i was diagnosed with moderately severe depression and was placed on a moderate dose of Prozac. Weeks in i became extremely lethargic , my mood hadn't stabilized one bit, i presumed i would need a higher dose and that followed. Eventually the dosage had quadrupled and showing no improvement, i beg to view the world in a haze, nothing seemed real and i didn't recognize myself . I was incredibly suicidal. If you are not feeling this drug is effective do not continue using it, otherwise suicide is a very genuine threat. I have found Sertraline effective as opposed to this freakish medicine."

Send Help (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

For Depression "I have never had thoughts about suicide until I took Prozac. This was the absolute scariest experience of my life."

squirrellover (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I have spent a lot of time reading threads on Prozac. They have all been very helpful during these past few months so I thought I should share my own experiences just in case anyone out there might find it helpful. I started Prozac 20mg about 2 months ago. I always knew I had anxiety and mild depression and was always curious about taking anti-depressants. But when my boyfriend and I broke up I literally went to my PsycDoc the very next day. I had done my research on AD’s and thought that Prozac would be the best for me. My Doc agreed. I kept a log every single day I took Prozac starting from Day #1 until Day #30. It took 24 days before I started feeling little random bursts of happiness. But up until day #24 it was pure torture. It hurt to smile, I completely lost my appetite, I could not sleep, I was sad, I experienced soooo much anxiety is was painful. But thanks to reading all these threads I did not give up and was hopeful that things will get better just as everyone said it will. Every day after Day #24 just seemed to have gotten better and better. And on Day #30, it finally hit me and I understood what Prozac is all about. Yes it is true that it is a life saver. If I had to put it in just two words to explain how I feel on Prozac I would have to say “Calm” and “Clear”. But I’m not finished just yet… after a few weeks I started feeling like the 20mg wasn’t really working. So my Doc increased my dose to 40mg. this time around I almost gave up and went back to 20mg, but thankfully I did not. For 3 weeks of taking 40mg I was soooo tired, fatigue and lethargic. I did not experience this on 20mg. and I was constantly hungry too. So after week #3 I called my Doc so I can make an appointment to go back down to 20mg. he was out of town so I had to wait. When his office called me back to schedule me in, the awful side effects of 40mg were gone and I was back to feeling clear, calm and happy again. So here is my own personal advice from my own journey with Prozac… I’ve been on it for a little over 2 months. You have to get worse before you get better. No matter what you think, YOU WILL GET BETTER. Prozac is literally reprogramming and rewiring your brain and that TAKES TIME. Side note: I’m 31 years old and ex-boyfriend and I are back together and happy. So were all those days of torture worth it? It sure was."

Calyfornia (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I previously took Celexa for GAD; but it stopped working. Switched to Paxil. Paxil is great for anxiety but it gave me constant nausea that wouldn't go away. I switched to Prozac. The first 2 weeks on Prozac, it gave me more anxiety, nausea and unable to eat a lot. After two weeks, my anxiety/panicky was reduced, appetite is good again and sometimes I will get bouts of nausea. So far, Prozac at 40 is working pretty good. I also take Valium 5 mg as needed once or twice a week. Valium is amazing. When Prozac is not working well on certain days, Valium is used to smooth things out. Valium is a good rx since it will stay in our system for a longer time. If you use it scarcely, you can use Valium for life. Prozac & Valium: Excellent together."

Anonymous July 15, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "Was prescribed this. First dose and I'm already having difficulty achieving an erection. Not ever taking this again. Not worth it."

Racing mind (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

For Depression "Prozac was the worst for me. Wouldnt recommend it to anyone. I was using it for depression and anxiety and when i first started taking it i felt terrible, stayed on it for another 4 months or so till my psychiatrist (who did absolutely nothing for me, spent a total of 15 minutes with me in 3 appts.) uped my dose to 20mg, i started feeling really tired all the time, got headaches, felt sick, my head was ALWAYS foggy, couldnt remember much, drained me right out. So without my doctors word i stopped taking it and i still feel depressed and anxious but i feel much more alive and much better. Prozac didnt work for me at all."

Okayy123 July 14, 2016

For Depression "I've tried a few antidepressents. Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Remeron... I've been on Prozac for nearly three months. I was prescribed 20 mg a day for the first month and told the doctor I didn't notice anything. She still kept me on 20 mg a day for the second month. Still nothing, but drowsiness was a problem (gone now). I've been on 30 mg a day for the past three weeks, and in the past week or so, I think something about me is different. I rarely have the suicidal thoughts I did before (I still do though). I'm also normally really awkward, but now I feel natural when I say something, no shaky voice. Idk how to explain what I'm feeling. The past week I've been pretty nauseous though. I usually eat a LOT though so I don't mind it"

cuebalal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

For Depression "After trying celexa (which helped my anxiety but not my depression) my doctor reccomended Prozac. I was in a very bad state at the time and was up for anything to make me feel better. After taking it for about 3 weeks I started having extreme suicidal thoughts everyday, which was very unlike me even with major depression. I told my doctor and she said she felt she was just under treating me and uped my does another 20mg. After another week I had to put myself into a hospital because I felt I had no control over the suicidal part of me. I have been off of Prozac for over 2, months now and have had little to no suicidal thoughts although my depression and anxiety has worsened from the experience I feel."

Briiiiiii July 8, 2016

For Depression "I've been on Prozac only for a week now but I've noticed a big change in my sleeping schedule and headaches...they've gotten so much worse!!! Can't think straight anymore and my head's always pounding. My review on this drug will change if i begin to see positive effects, but as of now, I'm ready to ask my psychiatrist for a new drug!"

Alexa S. July 6, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "If you scroll down a bit to 2014, you will find my rave review of Prozac for OCD and more than 100 people found it useful as well which is great. Now it's 2016, a year and a half later and I went from 115 lbs (I NEVER struggled with weight) to 151 lbs today and I'm just 5'2". My diet did NOT change. In fact I battled anorexia in my teens. I just don't enjoy food that much and still don't. I truly believe some people may eat more, but ultimately it messes with your thyroid and hormones bad. So, this is what I'll say: Prozac is pure genius and DOES work very, very well. You will probably lose weight in the first few months, and then as you approach a year the weight comes on fast and hard."

Southern Summer (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 2, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "Prozac for anxiety and stress: I started Prozac 20 mgs on January 1, 2016. I feel great so far with no anxiety and panicky feeling. Not everyday is perfect but that is life. The first two weeks on Prozac 20 mgs, it made my anxiety high, it made me nauseated, unable to eat and unable to sleep. Since I suffer from GAD, 20 mgs suddenly stopped working and I went up to 40 mgs. Increased to 40 mgs, it gave me a lot of anxiety and panicky feeling again. After one week or so, the anxiety was gone. The panicky feeling was also gone. I have tried three other ADs and they all gave me chronic nausea and headache. However, on Prozac, I feel great. I do feel nauseas at but it is manageable. Give Prozac 7 weeks before you quit. Two thumbs up!"

Be strong July 2, 2016

For Panic Disorder "Re Prozac: I started this medication May 1, 2016 for Anxiety and Panic Disorder. I started at Prozac 20 mgs and felt good but it suddenly stopped working after 10 days. 10 days later, I bumped it up to 40 mgs. At the onset of taking 20 mgs and 40 mgs, my anxiety was 5 fold, unable to sleep well, constant nausea, & lost my appetite. I did use a benzo at times to reduce the anxiety which was high. It is now June 10, 2016, I got my appetite back and sleep pattern was back to normal. Prozac has made a big change in my life. I feel less anxiety and less panicky. Prozac is working pretty well thus far and haven't had to use a benzo in over 14 days. You must give Prozac at least 6 or 8 weeks and you'll know by that time if it is for you or not."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "Been on Prozac for 3 weeks now and starting to see light at end of tunnel. Stomach pain an nausea the first couple weeks but much better now. I'm sleeping well and feel more relaxed. I find I actually want to do things like take a walk, play with grandkids, clean house and take care of myself. I didn't want to do anything before Prozac. I just existed. Thanks to Prozac I'm now living at 56 years old!"

Texas Granny 2005 June 19, 2016