User Reviews for Prozac

7.1

Postpartum Depression

Summary of Prozac reviews 7.4 790 reviews

Reviews for Prozac

For Panic Disorder "I started taking Prozac mostly for my panic attacks but a little bit for my anxiety and depression as well. I can't say my experience was all bad because I was going through a rough time and it seemed to make my panic attacks a bit more manageable and less intense but I think for me the cons outweighed the pros. The first time I started it, I stopped eating for nearly 2 weeks which caused me to lose weight, then the dose was upped from 10mg to 20mg and stopped eating for another 2 weeks. The anxiety was pretty bad for the first 2 weeks as well. After the first couple of weeks the side effects calmed down to an extent. I still had pretty bad sexual problems, a lot of heartburn, night sweats, and problems sleeping. So while the side effects weren't major, I tried getting off it due to my anxiety seemingly doing better and the side effects. I was nervous to get off but it seems like I haven't had any odd effects from stopping so that's good. My anxiety is still low so for now I'll stay off."

Ki May 20, 2019

For Depression "I took prozac several years ago for depression, it worked much differently than other antidepressants I've ever tried, I felt it working the very first day which really surprised me, it's hard to explain but this medicine wouldn't allow me to feel depressed & it was a little like being emotionally detached but to me that's much better than the depressed state of mind I was in and one thing I noticed was the excellent increase in energy I suddenly had, I couldn't sit still I cleaned the house from top to bottom , no daytime napping anymore and I loved that!! My thinking was clearer, it was a happy feeling and the only reason I stopped taking it at that time was I couldn't sleep much many nights with all that energy!! I took it again about 3 years ago but didn't get the same results as the first time but I chalk that up to being several years older now and taking blood pressure and pain meds, overall it's the best antidepressant I've ever tried."

Oscar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 17, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Prozac has been pretty good for the depression, my anxiety has been worse though. I get shaky when I get anxious and my knees feel wobbly. I don't feel some of the side effects such as heart palpitations or chest pressure just anxious. Zoloft caused heart issues but I felt like doing some things like going to the gym. With Prozac--no heart issues but I feel more on the lower end with less energy. Started 20 mg 5 months ago then 30mg for a month now 40 mg recently. I hope the anxiety gets better."

A289 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 16, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress "If you are wondering how long it takes fluoxetine to work I want you all to know that it took me 12 WEEKS for my Lovan/fluoxetine to work! I was giving up hope after 8 weeks but decided to stay on them, around 12 weeks later I went to sleep woke up and I was a complete different person, Happier, outgoing, bubbly and I could go out in public without feeling anxious, I wasn’t depressed and wasn't having bad thoughts anymore I was suddenly a positive happy excited person. My advise is please don’t give up until after 12 weeks because you could feel terrible one day and the next morning boom everything is better! It might happen slower for other people but that was just my experience"

Anxiousgoat (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2019

For Depression "I’ve suffered from depression since a teen and now in my 30’s. I’ve taken Prozac a couple of times with success, the problem being as soon as I feel good again I feel like maybe I wasn’t bad off to begin with and stop I would think I was in a good spot. Decent marriage, good kids, great job-and I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t be happy and grateful. I got to the point where I had no feelings and wanted to hurt myself. Outside of reading-inspiring books and literally peeling myself from the bed in the darkest of moments, Prozac really helped me. It took weeks, very painful weeks. Once it kicked it I became interested in my life again. I’m in a good spot right now and I believe it’s because I listened to other success stories and kicked myself out of bed everyday regardless of how much I wanted to crawl under my covers. And I decided to take medication that did not work instantly, but eventually. I hope this helps someone to make their life better like I did."

Helpyouandme May 10, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I started on Prozac in '05, and has been on it ever since. I'm not sure to say it was for major depressive disorder, but I was just waking up and seeing the world in a way with no feeling. I had depression when I was young, and continued. Prozac has been up and downed in the dose. But I currently take 80 mg, and I have to say it helps with feeling better, wellbutrin was more stimulating but much anxiety, other serotonin antidepressants somewhat worked, but Prozac is the one I keep using because it worked. Prozac just simply help my mood, I could be in the mood to talk. When it's not taken or if I miss one or 2 days, I can tell, mentally sluggish, the depression of not feeling anything. Prozac makes me less apathetic, and I'm in a better mood. Some people have an opposite reaction, and have flat feeling. I have bad days, many ... but it keeps from falling into major depression."

bigmama (taken for 10 years or more) May 10, 2019

For Panic Disorder "I took 10mg of Prozac for 12 days. Days 1-9 were pretty good. I was nauseous and threw up a few times but I expected that. Day 10 the first of the panic attacks hit. It lasted for 6 hours. 6 hours of uncontrollable crying, shaking and vomiting. My doctor took me off the Prozac 2 days later. Today is 1 week without the Prozac and I am still having intense panic attacks and vomiting almost all day every day. I have no idea how long this will last but it's ruining my life. I can't drive or take care of my children. My husband has had to take time off of work and I've lost almost 10 pounds. Worst thing I ever did."

Gwen (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Prozac has changed my life. I feel like I’m living life and enjoying it to the fullest for the first time in a very long time. I use to feel so empty and hopeless. I can truly say I’m the happiest I’ve ever been."

Cheryl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress "I suffer with Anxiety and Stress, with a side of depression. I was prescribed Prozac and Buspar for the anxiety and depression. It has been a literal game changer. Once you get through the first few weeks and the Prozac gets into your system, it's been amazing. I feel more motivated, more alert, less jumpy/panicky, etc. Remember, antidepressants aren't a one-size fits all deal. So what may work for one person may not work for you. But this was definitely a great fit for me."

Morgo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress "Let me begin by saying that I would NOT advise starting Prozac (or generic Fluoxetine) unless you have severe anxiety and depression and have already undergone significant CBT psychotherapy and alternative methods to no avail. In my case, I began prozac because I had developed anxiety and OCD after a difficult injury I sustained. As I expected, the first few days were very tough, extremely bad anxiety while trying to go to sleep. The medication subjected me to harsh hypomanic moments and made me develop unprecedented anxieties that I had not encountered beforehand. To be fair, I probably scared myself more by looking at negative research, but the increased anxiety paired with memory loss made me decide to quit. This drug my work for you, but it may not. DO NOT be afraid to quit if the cons outweigh the benefits, I felt better off the drug."

TJ April 20, 2019

For Depression "This medicine has saved my life. It has released me from the shackles of my illness. Prozac has not only helped my crippling depression that I've been suffering with for a total of 5 years, but also my general and social anxiety problems, this medicine has even helped with my PHOBIAS. Never in a million years did I think I would ever be able to go somewhere by myself or sit by myself at a table in a place full of people ever again. I can leave my bed again. I can leave my HOUSE again. This medicine has given me the first taste of life I've had in years. My depression was agitative, so I'm also on a dose of carbamazepine on the side which in conjunction has done so much for me. My friends barely recognize me. Everyone is different, but I 100% recommend this medicine for anyone dealing with depression and social anxiety. Thank you prozac!!!"

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2019

For Depression "Prozac was prescribed to our 15 year old for dysthymia & suicidal ideation. Being drug sensitive it was a difficult decision to make on her behalf. It turned out to be the worst decision. Psychiatrist told us to push through the side effects, which included a day time hallucination, teeth clenching, eye pain, hand tremors. We got to week 8. Suicidal thoughts increased and became more compulsive frightening our child. We are now withdrawing and visited a different GP who advised meditation, yoga & exercise as well as precursors for serotonin that are amino acids from health store - which no medical profession tells you about before trying Prozac . She has also found a different counsellor. For teenagers, I would consider other options before this medication if any drug sensitivities. Or if can afford it, get genetic drug screening done to eliminate potential for it not working and adverse reactions. Worth not going round in circles being a drug guinea pig!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2019

For Depression "Given 10 mg a day. Addressed some depression issues but has done absolutely nothing for my hot flashes/night sweats."

Barb (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

For Bulimia "I was very hesitant to start on this medication as I have been really active in a recovery program and do what I can to alleviate depression and anxiety through practicing mindfulness and reaching out for help within my social network.. but I also suffer from a severe case of bulimia which has persisted for over a decade... First couple days side effects were a little intense, no appetite and trouble sleeping for a night or two.. but I have to say that this medication is truly helpful for my obsessive preoccupations with weight and food, as well as social anxiety (definitely see why people who have general anxiety would NOT do well on this need, it makes me a bit more uppity) and mood stability. Side effects subsided and I still work a program of recovery every day... I highly recommend therapy and healthy living practices in conjunction with this medication, it can work!"

Layla (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2019

For Depression "Started this medication on Thursday last week it is now Tuesday, have been feeling myself again really happy and actually laughing at little things that I hadn’t been weeks ago, also suffer from anxiety and have felt that I have felt really calm over the past few days and haven’t been worried. Have been finding it a little hard to switch off at night but pharmacist said it could interfere with sleep that will pass, also today (day 5) I have been feeling quite nauseous and that I don’t have much of an appetite when usually I eat a lot and always feel hungry. I can only put it down to the tablets I was warned these could be some symptoms so I will push through and hopefully they stay working well for me and the sickness and sleeping improves."

Getting help (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I tried so many drugs for so long, but nothing worked as well as Prozac has. I spent month struggling to get out of my house on other drugs, but with Prozac I can go out again. It seems almost unreal! I’m so grateful for this medication and I hope someone else can get this help too!"

Jorts Borby (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 2, 2019

For Panic Disorder "I have Major Depression and Panic Disorder. It seems like every anti-depressant and benzo I have tried just does not work. My Dr. has now just prescribed me Fluoxetine (prozac) 10mg, to go along with my Klonopin 1mg that I had been taking for 6 years (I eventually developed a tolerance to my Klonopin, so it stopped working properly). After being on Prozac for nearly 4 months now, I have gone through horrible side effects of nausea, diarrhea, insomnia and head exploding syndrome. I am in a constant fog. I get confused very easily and 'space out' all the time. The only beneficial thing I have gotten out of taking Prozac is that I have somewhat better control over my emotions."

LOLCoolJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on this fluoxetine for 5 months,I don't think it did a lot for my depression but it definitely gave me more energy and improved my concentration. I am taking 40mg fluoxetine along with 150mg Efexor."

Nicolas (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder ".Prozac is wonderful, but because of some sexual side effects I can't give 10."

Tomnik (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

For Panic Disorder "I am on my 6th week on prozac and I can't believe how much this medication has helped my panic disorder. I went from having up five or six panic attacks a day to having only one very minor one this week. I have also experienced probably 90% less derealization and disassociation episodes in the last three weeks. My hypochondria is 100% VANISHED!!! I was so scared of the side effects I obsessively read reviews on this site and many others but I had none except a minor loss of appetite the first week. I noticed a change in energy by the end of my first week. Its not that I have euphoria or experience no moments of anxiety but they pass faster, I don't immediately catastrophize and I am beginning to believe that even if bad things to happen to me I am strong enough to get through them. I used to cry multiple times everyday and I haven't cried once this week. I really hope it continues to work for me!"

Lemons (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress "I was put on Prozac 20mg for my anxiety and stress but it made me GET OCD. Worse anxiety. Hands started twitching. Couldn't hold my phone. Dr. upped my dose to 30mg (because of increased anxiety) and the muscle twitching and tremors got so bad I just stopped taking it. Did nothing for anxiety. Felt worse ."

Imnotlikethem March 15, 2019

For Depression "I started Prozac 10mg after finding out Zoloft caused me no improvement whatsoever. After almost 1 week of taking prozac I started really bad diarrhea couple times a day, after 2 weeks my pupils started really dilating and this caused me to not concentrate on my driving and I almost felt my I was about to loose my conciousness. I was really holding on to not actually because I didn't want to get into an accident. This drug is just not for those people who can get really sensitive to extra serotonin in their body, like I was. I would really recommend talking to your healthcare provider first. If you ever took any antidepressive meds and how you reacted to them in the past. Because this could be a life threatening drug to your life and everyday daily activities causing you to not have a good eye coordination and behavior ☹"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been taking Prozac for roughly a year. Before that, I was on Lexapro for a year but switched due to weight gain. Where do I begin? This pill has given me confidence, more social ease, allowed me to live my life more freely and openly and not panic at the slightest inconvenience. I can go with the flow. I'm more regular, I sleep better, it's as though I was missing something and this is it. An additional bonus I've found, which I can find no information on is that it has made my hair grow thicker, faster and fuller. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?"

Mandy1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I'm 27 and I suffer severe PMDD, rage, mood swings, irritability, depression, suicidal thoughts, and anxiety. I decided one day, when I was PMSing severely; punching things, crying and breaking things, it was time to try meds. Long story short, I gave prozac a shot. It was great for a few months. I stopped crying, I was calm, anxiety has been to a minimum. Well it's been about 4 months and I'm now weaning off my meds because of the side effects. I can deal with excessive yawning, but now I am breaking out on my inner elbow, the back of my legs, my ears and neck, my chest feels heavy. One day I had horrible pain in my chest and throat like I was having a heart attack. I have no allergies, I don't smoke, I eat healthy, I sleep well, etc. the meds stopped working, I suffered PMDD this month as if I wasn't even on medication. I am going to look into herbs and natural remedies"

Tot March 4, 2019

For Depression "Guys if I could I would get 0 stars. This drug gave me very dangerous neurological side effects similar to Multiple sclerosis. I got twitching of my eyelid and in all my body, I got tremors and also shaking, big insomnia with an effect weakness, fatigue. Also I wake up every morning with numbness of my fingers. I stopped using it after 14 days. I found some articles that Prozac may be toxic on your cell in the brain. Horrible. That was my 4th drug for my depression in 3 months, I said enough and no more, these things are very dangerous for your body even is presented everywhere as a lifesaver. I bought something natural Maca for energy, Rhodiola and Ashwagandha and these seriously work! No side effects!"

Tom (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2019