User Reviews for Prozac

7.3
Postpartum Depression 2 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Prozac reviews 643 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Prozac

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I started Prozac for severe Harm OCD and social anxiety and mood swings from age 11 until 19. Initially 20 mg kept my intrusive thoughts at bay, however My anxiety remained. Every few years following I would require an increase in medication; and with every increase I became more numb, agitated, argumentative and arrogant. I stopped caring about everything. I couldn't cry when family member died, I couldn't have crushes on girls, low sexual desire, I developed severe TMJ and was living on autopilot. This drug made me care about nothing. At age 19 I developed PSSD (Post SSRI Sexual dysfunction). It took me 6 months off medications with complete impotence to get weak sexual function back and I'm only 19. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy:("

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was going through a very deep and dark depression for several months. Prozac was the very anti-depressant to work for me. After about 2 weeks, I could tell the medication was really working. I wasn't having constant OCD related circling thoughts that made my depression worse and I wasn't on the verge of crying every second. This pill is a MIRACLE for me. No side effects, maybe weight gain but I'm also eating again when before I was barely eating and dropped 10 lbs. Definitely take the medication at night because it'll make you tired if you take it in the morning."

Ash 1989 October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Hi good people. I have been on Prozac (Fluoxetine) since 2000. I started with 20 mg, then 40 & now 60mg. I am also taking Navalpro 300mg, twice a day. Prozac is the only meds that has made me function as a "normal" person after being correctly diagnosed as having major depression. When I 1st desperately looked for help, my anxiety was unbearable. Prozac killed 2 birds with 1 stone-depression & anxiety. I had a rollercoaster journey, being prescribed other antidepressants together with Prozac. I have come to accept that the benefits outweigh the side effects. However, weight gain I have not accepted & am trying my best to watch calories & move around more often -"

Vaise59 (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I was suffering from generalized anxiety disorder with some panic. It was a miserable situation and although I gutted it out for many years, I finally decided to try meds. My doctor prescribed Prozac, 10 mg initially. I'm not going to lie, those first couple of weeks were rough. It actually made me MORE anxious and pretty jittery. Sleep was not restful. But then just about the time I was going to give up (2-3 weeks into it) and try something else, I started feeling better. Eventually, I felt a LOT better. I now take 20 mg/daily and I feel like I got my life back. I don't think I realized how small my life had become until the anxiety abated. For someone who can gut out the initial few weeks, it is so worth it."

SammyMN (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "My doctor switched me from Cymbalta to Prozac after the Cymbalta didn't seem to be working for me any longer. I started out taking 10mg per day, now I am taking 20mg per day. I had been taking the Prozac at night before going to bed but noticed I was having a lot more trouble getting to sleep. After reading the dosing information, I realized that I needed to be taking this medication in the morning. So I will start that in the morning by holding off my dose tonight. For the time that I've been taking this medication, I have not had depressive episodes that I was unable to handle and taking the depression test, it was not as high as it had been in the past. So for now, I will continue this med but just change to taking it in the morn."

Brezie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bulimia "I'd struggled with bulimia and depression for many years, I was prescribed Prozac to mainly treat my depression, and partly the eating disorder. With my personal experience with bulimia I never had the urges to binge eat, just to make myself vomit after eating proper sized portions of food. I had found that the Prozac had helped stopped the urges to throw up after eating quite effectively. The only side effect being that once I had stopped taking it the urges returned immediately. Currently and trying to battle those thoughts without being prescribed medication, but may go back onto it if I'm unsuccessful after a year, or so."

Mich2900 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "Prozac is one of the most wonderful anti depressants they ever made. It took me about 2 weeks to get past the side effects which were heightened anxiety, some panic, unable to eat, crying, and upset stomach. I started on 10mg and went to 20 after about 2 weeks. It's a god send. I take welbutrin xl 300 also but added the Prozac to combat the panic I was experiencing. I took Prozac years ago for maybe 3 years and it worked excellent then too. It did a "poop out suddenly when I had a traumatic life event. Since its been a few years I am back on it and recommend it to everyone. It's tough pushing through the side effects to start but the bright light is at the end of the tunnel."

Cheryl2280 (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "Just wanted to share my experience. Woke up in the middle of the night 2 weeks ago with a massive panic attack that I thought was a heart attack. Went to the ER two nights in a row because they just wouldn't stop. Saw my doctor the next day and was diagnosed with general anxiety and panic disorder. Was prescribed 20 MG prozac (fluoxetine). First week was horrible, almost all my symptoms increased couldn't eat lost my sex drive. It's now a week in and I can't even tell you how much better I feel. Everything is back to normal eating like crazy, sex drive is back this drug is a miracle. It will probably worsen your symptoms at first but think of it as an investment and keep pushing through and you should feel better. Hope this helps anyone."

Caius91 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Amazing effective medicaction. Works like magic. Makes me relax and happier and enhanced my sexual drive. Very safe and I LOVE IT. Overall, this medication changed my life and enhanced everything and helped me function in a very short time that I stopped taking it."

AnonArabF (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was so depressed and I started this medicine without expecting that after 15 days I am like I've taken ecstasy. I am full of energy I don't hesitate to be myself! I love being my self actually! I'm not thinking anymore about cocaine, weed and stuff like that cause that was the main reason that I needed a doctor! THANK U PROZAC"

Andy pallas August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I had the WORST reaction to this medicine. I was on 20mg and my body rejected it terribly. The first few days were fine and then after the 4th day or so I became very glazed over and out of it. It was as if I was a walking zombie. I then started waking up in the middle of the night having severe panic attacks. I had never had one before so I was very scared. My doctor told me to come off of it and the withdraw from this was even worse. I woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the hospital. Overall I had a very negative experience but my mom takes this medicine and she loves it. Could just depend on the person I guess."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Didn't do anything for me"

Shoemaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I was reluctant to go on an SSRI as I was concerned about weight gain and fatigue. However, I was in such a bad headspace back in the spring that I bit the bullet and saw my doctor about it. She prescribed me generic Prozac (fluoxetine). Initially I was on 10 mg, then worked up to 20 mg. It's made such a positive difference. I haven't had any near-panic attacks, and my anxiety feels much more manageable. Life feels easier. I've had some side effects, such as excessive yawning (and I mean excessive!), some mild nausea, and vivid dreams. To me, though, the benefits far outweigh them. I'm going to keep taking it and use the coping skills I learned in therapy."

Julian Paul (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Prozac worked great for me for about 2 years and then it quit being effective. Apparently this experience is so common it's even called "Prozac poop-out." At age 41 I started taking 10 mg daily, then increased to 20. For the first week or two I felt slightly nauseated and had trouble getting an erection. Then those side-effects vanished, and I felt not only happier but more functional (at the time I was a university professor). I wrote 2 published novels during those two years. A wonderful side-effect is that I gained total ejaculatory control. Suddenly I was the lover I'd always wanted to be! But after the Prozac honeymoon, I found myself feeling anxious and depressed again and the Prozac was just making me sleepy. So I quit. C'est la vie."

retired prof (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I was very scared of starting Prozac because of the reviews I read. I also had tried lexapro and had major panic attacks that made me go off of it. I have been on Prozac for 4 weeks and am just starting to feel the benefits. I feel I can think more clearly and am not living life in constant stress or fear. I wish I started in sooner. I feel so much better almost like "wow this is what life for non stresses people is like" Side effects I experienced: 2 days out of month felt more anxious then normal and have had a little nausea but hardly any. It's been great."

Kellyp8765 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I was prescribed 10mg fluoxetine for mild depression, mood swings, and anxiety due to menopause. ( Can not take HRT) The third day started to experience terrible diarrhea for two days. About the fifth day it was absolutely the worst crying I have ever felt. The feelings of despair where overwhelming. Needless to say I contacted my doctor and will not continue taking. Hope it works better for someone else trying it."

Juleen (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "29 year old healthy guy here. Taking Prozac 10MG and 0.50 Xanax Extended Release for the past 6 months. I'm posting to support the people who feel they will never be free of panic/anxiety. I now feel 90% better! I was having mid the night panic attacks and weird/scary intrusive thoughts. I went to the psychiatrist that had the best Google reviews that took my insurance. Was diagnosed with Panic Disorder and mild OCD. Originally tried Prozac at a higher dose, but it made me sleepy and made me feel sweaty/hot often. Xanax XR was also added. It has worked very well in combo. I take both nightly at bed so I have a peaceful deep sleep. Prozac took about 2-3 months to really sink in to my system. You CAN feel better. Get a caring/good doctor!"

N3052 July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I started taking Prozac January 19th 2016. I ended Prozac April 19th 2017. It did nothing but horrible things for me ! I had major behavioral issues I could not control myself or my actions or thoughts . I was feeling down constantly always had issues. When I was taken off of it my behavior changed! I'm a complete different person . No suicidal thoughts nothing. Yeah I have depression here and there but I just have to get thru this on my own. I suggest you don't take this medication ."

Dd33emsss (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Some useful advice .-. TIMELINE Started 5mgs felt slightly high just a little more positive took 5 mgs for 9 days then had major crash lasted about 5 days + 2 days to level out Valium is very handy just hang in there it will pass & get better Day 13/14 started feeling much better now on 10 mgs @day 16 really good now. Initial day 9 crash as autoreceptors sense too much serotonin and move to regulate levels so they drop making you feel like the world is coming to an end once they desensitize things improve. Tips stay calm relax talk to people take Valium sleep eat carbs distract your thoughts walk if up to it. Do not read reviews will do your head in- too many depressed people+reviews= many negative useless reviews :-)"

camarchie (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I was reluctant to begin fluoxetine because I'd had a terrible experience when my GP started me on 50mg of sertraline. Eventually I ended up going private and the psych prescribed me prozac but starting on a really low dose of 10mg for a week, then 20mg for 4 weeks and now 40mg for the last month. It's been great. Really cut down my intrusive thoughts to basically nothing, concentration is better, I'm enjoying life again! This is also due to a good therapist but the medication has definitely helped. Main side effect was sleepiness but having suffered with insomnia on and off for years, it's been great not dreading bedtime anymore. In the first couple of weeks of a new dose, I'd have a bit of brain fog but other than that, it's been great!"

ocdnomore July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Had zero effect except impotence. This drug is over rated."

Ziggyman (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I started taking prozac in April of 2016 for anxiety and depression. It took about a month to actually start working. I feel better going into public and don't freak out and go into the bathroom. I'm still depressed but its improved so much. It gave me side effects like lose of appetite. I lost 10 pounds my first month taking it and I was always tired but had trouble falling asleep. Another negative is if I miss it a day I have painful headaches and lash out on everyone and treat them terrible."

bug. (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "Worked very well for me for about ten years then for some unknown reason it just stopped doing its job. This drug and Elavil are the only two out of the handful of meds I have used that actually work and have no nasty side effects. I would recommend this to anyone suffering from panic and if it does not work for you try Elavil next. If it wasn't for these two meds life would be absolute crap!"

13crocs (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "This is my second time taking Prozac. I took it for two years before for panic attacks, insomnia, OCD and it did wonders. After a month my head cleared up, my memory improved as well as my sleep. (No longer waking up in the middle of the night worried about things). Only downside is that I tend to gain a lot of weight on it. As soon as I stopped last time the weight came off almost immediately. I plan to watch what I eat and exercise more this time. After a month now I have already started feel 2000% better and sleeping sooo good."

Sooo good (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "So I have always suffered from anxiety and I went to therapy for a while and my therapist suggested seeing a mental health nurse practitioner who can maybe set me up with something. She referred me to the doctor who prescribed me Prozac and it's been working great! I've been on it for about a month now. The first two weeks were a little rough, I was feeling more depressed and experienced a loss of appetite and even threw up a couple of times (though I'm not sure if that was the medicine or if I caught a stomach bug). However at about the 3rd week I started feeling great! I was much happier and more engaged at work. I've been feeling so good I'm starting to think I may have had depression. My only complaint is my sex drive is totally gone"

Anon2345 June 26, 2017