User Reviews for Prozac

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"Prozac is my happy pill, it took me forever to find something that works, but this is definitely mine!! I was beginning to be skeptical that anything would work.. Effexor and Prestiq was what I was put on before this, and that was a nightmare... This makes me think more clearly and see things in a different perspective, I see the good in life, and I don't get so easily upset over everything anymore, and if I do get bothered by something, I get over it in seconds... Helps with my social anxiety as well.. I've noticed I'm more talkative, and can deal with being around people better, before I was so badly depressed with possible bipolar or personality disorder.. I'm finally getting to know myself as a person and am much happier now."

Blondebabe22 (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi good people. I have been on Prozac (Fluoxetine) since 2000. I started with 20 mg, then 40 & now 60mg. I am also taking Navalpro 300mg, twice a day. Prozac is the only meds that has made me function as a "normal" person after being correctly diagnosed as having major depression. When I 1st desperately looked for help, my anxiety was unbearable. Prozac killed 2 birds with 1 stone-depression & anxiety. I had a rollercoaster journey, being prescribed other antidepressants together with Prozac. I have come to accept that the benefits outweigh the side effects. However, weight gain I have not accepted & am trying my best to watch calories & move around more often -"

Vaise59 (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor switched me from Cymbalta to Prozac after the Cymbalta didn't seem to be working for me any longer. I started out taking 10mg per day, now I am taking 20mg per day. I had been taking the Prozac at night before going to bed but noticed I was having a lot more trouble getting to sleep. After reading the dosing information, I realized that I needed to be taking this medication in the morning. So I will start that in the morning by holding off my dose tonight. For the time that I've been taking this medication, I have not had depressive episodes that I was unable to handle and taking the depression test, it was not as high as it had been in the past. So for now, I will continue this med but just change to taking it in the morn."

Brezie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Amazing effective medicaction. Works like magic. Makes me relax and happier and enhanced my sexual drive. Very safe and I LOVE IT. Overall, this medication changed my life and enhanced everything and helped me function in a very short time that I stopped taking it."

AnonArabF (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Prozac January 19th 2016. I ended Prozac April 19th 2017. It did nothing but horrible things for me ! I had major behavioral issues I could not control myself or my actions or thoughts . I was feeling down constantly always had issues. When I was taken off of it my behavior changed! I'm a complete different person . No suicidal thoughts nothing. Yeah I have depression here and there but I just have to get thru this on my own. I suggest you don't take this medication ."

Dd33emsss (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this medication for a few years now. I've tried Viibryd, Lexapro, Prozac, and Paxil and Prozac has worked the most efficiently. It doesn't seem to me like I'll ever find an antidepressant that makes me feel like sunshine and rainbows. It just numbs the pain really. I have major depression and while I do wonder if there are any "happy" pills that up your mood significantly, I'm too afraid to try any other antidepressant. especially after switching to Paxil. I became very depressed on Paxil"

Mer Mer June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have struggled with anxiety and depression for about 25 years. After almost dying from meningitis in 1993, post traumatic stress disorder became an issue as well. My general physician recently diagnosed me with major depression disorder as well. She is an amazing Doctor who took extra schooling for psychology and pain management. She suggested I try Prozac. I had heard so many bad and controversial things about Prozac, but decided to ignore the naysayers and try it. I've been on it about 2 weeks. Not noticing too much yet, but I am going to hang in there as I know it can take 6 to 8 weeks for full benefits. I realize I can't expect something to work right when I want it to work. it takes time. Giving it a chance. Will update."

ProzacNation468 June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm still trying to find a medication that works for me. But this is one that the doctor prescribed me about two years ago, and I took it for very close to a year. It did not help. They kept adding more dosage until finally I quit seeing my psychiatrist altogether and stopped taking the medication."

Alan Baker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After years on duloxetine for major depression and degenerative osteoarthritis, a new psyche doctor had me try Effexor (terrifying effects). Bad trip. He had been having me take Prozac while I was weaning off duloxetine because it mitigates the withdrawal syndrome from duloxetine, and I felt better than I had in 10 years. After the near-suicide because of Effexor, I asked if we could just stick with Prozac but increase the dose. I prefer it because I feel like ME, not some drugged-out, flattened-emotion version of me. I still can get happy, sad, mad, chill, relaxed, etc. Many anti-depressants eliminate that ability, which I find unbearable personally. I take 20mg once per day in the morning, and it has given me my life back again."

Badkittym (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am twenty six years old and have suffered from significant depression since I was a child. For years I just dealt with it always going from one crisis to another. I've had a handful of suicide attempts starting from my early teens to young adult years. I would especially have trouble during the two weeks leading up to my period. Crying episodes and just an overall feeling of depression. I was put on Prozac about three years ago and it has made a world of difference. I'm happy again and able to function to my best ability, I'm focused and driven. Sometimes I forget to take it and the depression comes back. But as long as I'm taking my daily dose as prescribed, I'm great!"

MadiMadi (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 18 and have suffered from major anxiety and depression causing frequent panic attacks for roughly two years. I've been on Prozac for four nights now and whilst it is to early to tell if the drug will help me, I am experiencing some side effects. In the last four nights I've had about eight hours of sleep and constant head aches. On my first day I felt drowsey and unfocused and after that I think it was a combination of depression, Prozac and lack of sleep. I'm hoping these will wear off in time like I've been told but don't know if they will come back again (if they go away at all) if my GP ups my dosage from 1/2 a tablet to 1 a night. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I plan to ask my GP at my next appointment."

Insomnia101 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a male early 20s, I suffer from major depression, anxiety and occasional panic. I started Prozac 20mg and now in my 5th week of treatment. The first 2 weeks I felt no relief, suffered from side effects such as fatigue, anxiety, and disrupted sleep patterns. Beginning of the 3rd week I began to feel a noticeable difference. My thoughts became less negative, I just felt less depressed/anxious than usual, and side effects have almost gone away. Then into my 3rd/4th week I began to feel better and better each day. It seems much more gradual than other antidepressants. Now into my 5th week I do feel MUCH better. However, it is still early for me and I have had 1 set back caused by excessive alcohol/marijuana use. Overall, stick with it!"

MDA51 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication was terrible. The warning about "initial" anxiety was concerning , but I figured I would give it a go anyways. This was a horrible mistake. My anxiety was so bad that I had tremors in my arms and legs and lost 2 lbs in only 2 weeks of taking it."

Stardream February 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've tried many diffrent antidepressants over the years and never found one that worked for me. After each pregnancy my mood got worse. I couldn't get out of bed and get anything done. I never wanted to do anything outside the house. I also would yell all the time due to irritability. Prozac has made me more calm. I don't jump right to yelling cause someone was " annoying me." When you first start it, for about 3 weeks u feel weird. Spacy, clumsy and I couldn't sleep. I lost weight right away cause I wasn't eating to fill a void. Don't stop cause u feel loopy in the beginning! It has changed my life. Me and my husband are getting along better! 1 NEG I twitch. My legs arms hips will twitch when I stop moving. I take 60mg. Helps me before my period 2"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Good experience with prozac"

Nikdick January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I know this is a process, but it sucks. I'm now taking 40 mg of Prozac and it literally does nothing for me. I started with Zoloft, and at least that was an appetite suppressant Both Zoloft and Prozac just make me tired, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for. My goal is to gain energy and be able to do...anything...other than sleep."

Tierna October 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I feel fantastic I feel a massive change in myself I'm less aggressive anxious depressed and agitated I'm more patient with things and people as I suffered with social anxiety I'm more outgoing and thinking clearer I feel on top of the world and have lost 13kg as my appetite has decreased rapidly"

Shellsheree August 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on Prozac several months ago after having been severely depressed for over a year straight (with a few days here and there of hypomania). It's made a huge difference! I'm only on 20 milligrams but I am a lot less depressed and more productive than I was. The only downside is that I am still having some bad mood swings, but overall it has helped my depression a lot."

InvisibleCreeper (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on Fluoxetine 40mg daily due to a particularly bad bout of depression that left me unable to work or even get out of bed. That was over a year ago and it was a GODSEND. I started on 10mg and increased to 40 within a month, close to no side effects (some stomach pain), and the relief of my depression happened within the first week. After a month and a half on it I was feeling great and alive again! It was amazing! After 8 months on the medication, I decided to wean off. That went well, however anxiety started building up again. I believe my condition has now changed. I was put back on Fluoxetine 40mg but felt no relief of my anxiety whatsoever and had to add Ativan to my regimen. I am now exploring other options but it was great!"

Mynt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Following the death of my 3 year old daughter I started taking this also Valdoxan at night and anti calm during the day I also suffer from anxiety , Prozac has helped me get up in the day time and go out and changed my attitude also obviously it's false happiness but it helps me forget my pain and have a giggle during the day it eases my pain"

calla92 April 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is a life saver. I think Prozac has saved my life and made my thinking more clear. I had been struggling with mental illness for years before I tried prozac. I had been diagnosed with adhd and bipolar disorder (even though I never had a manic episode). I had tried other medications. After a suicide attempt, I tried zoloft, however, there was no effect. After this ssri, I tried other medications and everything made me unbelievably worse. After trying medications like lithium, lamictal, depakote, and abilify; I finally was put on 10 mg prozac and then 20 mg. This was it. I felt an instant recovery after 3 weeks, where my mind finally woke up. I felt a part of my brain, which was not working, was now working. It was lifesaving."

Al Pac (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a horrible experience with Prozac. I was actually very excited when my doctor decided it would be the next anti-depressant medication I tried, because it gets so much good publicity. Hell, there's even a memoir called "Prozac Nation." Upon beginning my daily regimen of prozac, I had increased anxiety (too the point that I was having uncontrollable heart palpitations, dizzy spells, trouble breathing -- I couldn't eat, and got down to 100lbs on accident) and my suicidal ideation increased to the point that I made a very serious suicide attempt. Thanks to quick intervention, speedy response from paramedics, and a life flight I am alive today. Be careful, and be aware of side effects."

afay January 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been using 40 mg of prozac daily for almost a year now, I went from the worst I've ever been, crying all the time never being able to stop thinking about how much I hated myself life and everything about life, I was not eating, was so full of rage and hate and had the most negative mindset towards everything, like every second of my life was hell and pointless seeming, I wished I was dead (although would never actually kill myself for my families sake) and after about 2 or 3 weeks of taking the prozac everything got so much better it was like it flipped a switch in my head and the negative thoughts went away and I actually felt good and happy which I thought was so impossible to feel, taking these meds was the best thing I've ever done"

Auma13 January 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Prozac as one of my first anti depressants for MDD It made me horribly sick. I was nauseous all day, and wouldn't eat for days at a time. I stayed on it to try and get thorough the side effects but they wouldn't stop, I was throwing up every other day One day I woke up and I started to violently shake, This lasted for over 12 hours until I ended up in the hospital with Tachycardia. This was a horrible experience and months later I still have stomach and heart issues, I'm on new medications now, But because of my bad experience I get very anxious when I take them"

Haley_14115 January 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For the first time I've been on Prozac. I talked to my provider and we decided it was the best this is my second week. I didn't realized I suffered from OCD intrusive thoughts Now those are gone, I feel tired and sleepy which is rare on me, I am taking other meds as well so I do not know if I should attribute this to Prozac or not. So far seems like it was a good idea. I am monitoring my behaviours being mindful about what I am doing not in a OCD way though."

gibb December 6, 2015