User Reviews for Paxil CR

Paxil CR has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 49 ratings on Drugs.com. 68% of those users who reviewed Paxil CR reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Depression
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
Summary of Paxil CR reviews 7.6 49 reviews

Reviews for Paxil CR

Purple March 14, 2021

For Anxiety: “I have always had name brand paxil because generic never worked it was made by GSK They no longer make this medicine. So they gave me a generic medicine without telling me anything. I lost 22 pounds in 2 months my whole face has tingling , I thought I was having a stroke I contacted company that sold the medicine which I had paid for out of pocket 703.20 , they stated this is now made by apotex, after 21 years of having great luck with the GSK Paxil. I am sorry to say this product is very different from the GSK product. I will no longer be with this medication! I felt no serotonin was in the product and that it affected a different part of my brain. Would not want anyone else to take this medicine which just started selling 1/1/21.”

Moetheiguana · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 23, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I first tried Paxil immediate release and the dry mouth I got from it was unbearable so I had to stop taking it. My doctor switched me to Paxil CR and I haven't experienced any side effects from the extended release version. It absolutely helps by keeping me out of a depressive episode. Paxil is really the only antidepressant that works for me according to a DNA test I had done. Paxil CR has changed my life for the better.”

ABC January 23, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I have taken Paxil close to 6 years. If you want quick results this pill is not it. It takes awhile for it to kick-in. Once you feel the benefits of Paxil, you will notice. The pros for me are higher then the cons (side effects). This week is my first week at 37.5 (Paxil ER). I took 30mg for 3-4 years. I’m really excited to start this mew dosage. It’s hard to find the right SSRI, I went through a few brands and dosages years ago. Will keep you guys updated on my 37.5mg.”

Farooq · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Well all I have to say just try Paxil CR . My life has been changed I am taking 25 mg which I start from 12 mg, it is a great medicine now it's 3 months now feeling I get my life back. Most important don't forget your personal prayer .”

GJ72 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 23, 2013

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “I have been dealing with anxiety all my life. I thought that was how everyone lived. Last year I had a debilitating episode of anxiety and finally sought help. After hearing my history the doctors wanted me to get on SSRI's asap. I resisted at first due to fears, but eventually relented. Started with 20mg a day of Paxil, was on that does for three months, and I still had some anxiety. Went up to 30mg and after the new dose kicked in, I have never felt better. It has been a year at 30mg's and my anxiety is gone, not just health anxiety but social anxiety, money anxiety. My mind finally works the way it was meant to and I owe it all to Paxil. ”

Aitezaz · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2017

For Anxiety: “It will do nothing negative. Give it a try to enjoy life. Life is short. Don't take the burden of social anxiety and panic attacks for your whole life. If you still feel terrible when taking Paxil use inderal as well and you will see an improvement in life. My score for Paxil CR is 9/10 in just days. PS if you ignore this illness it will give you IBS, high BP, anxiety, messes with career goals, gives heart problems, sleep problems, low energy, you need short naps, always low confidence and so on. I avoided medicines from age18 to 28 years and now finally I took the step for paxil. Stay blessed ....”

RonnieLou63 June 12, 2015

For Depression: “I tried so many medications before like prozac and zoloft. I can't remember the rest but they made me sick or suicidal. I've been on Paxil CR 12.5 for 10 yrs and never increased and it is the best one for me. I cannot live my life without paxil. It has made me a better person, mother, sister, and friend.”

MAC · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2019

For Social Anxiety Disorder: “Shortly after I started Paxil- one to two weeks, I was a totally changed person. I felt so upbeat, could speak without any inhibition to any person or situation. I felt lightened and brightened... better than I can ever remember!! Then I developed the complication of several episodes of a really strong, accelerated heart beat rate that felt like my heart was going to fly up & out of my throat. My doctor of course took me off of it. I still yearn to try it again & see if I might have an improved outcome. I wish I knew the likelihood of being successful a second time. It improved my work, personal & any other social situation I can think of!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 5, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “At 60 years old I finally decided to stop living with GAD. and started Paxil CR. Best decision ever. I feel "normal". I used to drive my kids crazy and dwell and ruminate. Not any more! It's been 2 years on 20 mg”

Coulditbe June 13, 2013

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “I started using it a week ago and within 4 days it felt like the dark cloud surrounding me lifted. My circumstances are exactly the same, I can just handle it better and now start working on issues. It saved my life.”

happy on paxil cr October 15, 2011

For Anxiety: “I have health-related anxiety issues. Ten years ago I took 25 mg Paxil CR for about a year and it was a life-saver. No side effect, no withdrawal issues. A month ago my anxiety returned for a new reason. My doctor started me on 20 mg citalopram. I think I had every side effect possible and made my anxiety worse. I switched to 12.5 mg Paxil CR and within three days was a new person. For me, there is no better medicine.”

NervousNelli July 27, 2014

For Panic Disorder: “Paxil CR has made a great impact on my quality of life. I started menopause and was dealing with stressful family health issues, both beginning at the same time. I begin to suffer from panic attacks and was overly sensitive to EVERYTHING. I was taking Lexapro which did not help at all. Paxil CR has been a God send for me.”

Anonymous March 29, 2008

For Anxiety: “I was taking Paxil for both depression and anxiety. It worked very well for me for the past four years. My husband could definitely tell the difference, and if I missed a dose, the effect was immediate. However, I was not aware that it could cause weight gain, and I have gained over 40 pounds even though I am eating healthy and exercising.”

AmyLynneECT August 8, 2013

For Depression: “I have been on Paxil for a long time, years. I was hospitalized for my Bipolar Disorder and they increased the dose from 20-40mg. I got very agitated and very out of sorts. When I saw my psychiatrist she put the dose back to 20mg and I'm doing good again. More isn't always better!”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 1, 2019

For Anxiety: “I took Paxil CR for anxiety for about 3 years. My max dosage was 67.5mg a day, which is too high. Paxil worked amazing for me for about 2 years at 37.5mg a day. After 2 years it started to lose efficacy, and that's when they kept raising my dosage. My main side effects were increased appetite (gained 20 lbs) and excessive sleepiness. Some nights I would sleep for 18-20 hours unintentionally. This was somewhat problematic. This drug did give me my life back when it worked and it did work very well for my anxiety for 2 years. Despite what people say, tapering off Paxil was not hard at all. My psychiatrist said that this is one of the stronger SSRI's that generally works fast and is great for anxiety.”

Monty · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder: “After taking this medicine for only second month now. I am feeling on cloud 9 . I had psychosexual generated erectile dysfunction. I use to discharge only within 10 seconds to 30 seconds before taking Paxil CR 12.5 now 25 mg. Now I can have sex now . I am now in driver seat of intercourse journey with controlled erection up to 30 minutes. Now I have confidence to please my lady.”

LilyMiami June 18, 2013

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I was prescribed Paxil 10mg for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. I've been taking it for two weeks and I feel so much better! It also helps with my social anxiety as well. I feel calmer, centered and more assertive. It makes me less emotional and somewhat experience "flat effect" which could be bad in certain situations. In first two days I felt very nauseated and couldn't eat and lost 5 pounds however I noticed my appetite has increased and I'm watching my weight! So far so good. (Note: SSRI's works differently on pre-menstrual women and improvements is seems in the very first cycle at least in my case).”

Miss · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 12, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “Paxil CR is very effective for PMDD anxiety, mood swings, suicidal thoughts. Very effective for my social anxiety. I had mild to moderate bothersome side effects that lasted 2 to 4 weeks when I first started. I was worried about side effects but they weren't that bad. I am very glad I started this medication”

Anonymous July 14, 2013

For Depression: “HUGE weight gain! From 135 lbs up to 205 lbs and there didn't seem to be any way to lose the weight. I am not an eater, or a snacker, if anything I can't manage breakfast and I eat a healthy sandwich for lunch and can only manage 1/2 the meal that my husband eats at night. For me, depression = loss of appetite.”

Anonymous July 3, 2008

For Anxiety: “I was taking Prozac for few years to treat my symptoms of depression, but I could still feel anxiety and irrational fears (like being alone in the house), then my therapist suggested to switch to Paxil CR and my whole world has changed. I'm not scared anymore and I feel a lot better. I am optimistic, enthusiastic, outgoing, etc. Paxil works for me.”

Kasham · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 29, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder: “I am 29 years old I am taking paxil CR. For the six years before taking paxil I tried on citalopram and Ecitalopram but they didn’t work for me. So then my Docter advised me to start on PAXIL CR. it changed my life. My depression and anxiety gone after 1 week and become a new person . But I have a bit problem whenever there are I have something stressful like an exam , interviews or any other related situation. Then I become so pressurized and stressed but this is the only problem now and my all other anxiety problems are eliminated now.”

somebody1278 · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2018

For Anxiety: “Started taking this about 3 weeks ago. I was having crippling anxiety symptoms. I feel much more levelled out - and don't feel affected in terms of clarity or my ability to think. My physical anxiety symptoms have much lessened and they're not a constant distraction, as they were before I was taking this. Very pleased my clinician put me on this. I've only had one possible uncommon side effect, there was a few days about a week in wherein I felt like my pupils were more dilated than usual (I would look at my pupils in the mirror and they seemed larger, but because I wasn't actually comparing this to before taking the medication, I couldn't be sure that this is what I was truly experiencing), but it was never for more than several minutes at a time; this side effect disappeared around the 2 week mark.”

Anonymous February 9, 2010

For Depression: “I have been on Paxil CR for a little over a month. I have previously taken Zoloft, Lexapro, and Prozac and none of them worked as well as this drug. I was constantly agitated on the Lexapro and Prozac and they didn't seem to help with the depression. Zoloft just made me feel weird. Each drug is different for each person but this one works the best for me so far. I feel calm and happy during the day. The only problem with it for me, and it is a big one, is that I can't sleep! I will spend hours in bed with my eyes open, tired, but unable to actually fall asleep. I then have a hard time waking up but once I do then I am awake and not groggy. I am going to talk to my Doctor about it and hopefully he will have a solution.”

Anonymous July 31, 2009

For Panic Disorder: “Paxil CR helped control the anxiety and panic attacks. It did allow me to live my life normally. However, I have had one big side effect. Since January, I have gained 35 lbs. It does not matter that I workout four or five days a week for 1 1/2 or two hours, and try to eat a healthy diet. No matter what I did, I continually gained weight. My doctor has now taken me off of it, due to the rapid weight gain I have experienced. She felt that the rapid weight gain was not healthy, and could lead to obesity if I did not quit taking the drug. So, I am going to come off of Paxil CR, hopefully drop this excessive weight, because I have never had a weight problem until now and I am 31 years old, and just go from there.”

TWG74 June 7, 2017

“Paxil was a miracle drug for me in that it completely got rid of my anxiety and depression. The feeling of dread I'd been carrying around in the pit of my stomach for years was finally gone! However, it caused a 50 pound weight gain and as a result edema and other issues. I'm now on Wellbutrin XL and slowly starting to lose the weight.”

Drexil August 14, 2016

For Social Anxiety Disorder: “I have started taking Paxil CR 12.5 mg six months ago, for my stuttering and fear of talking. In the beginning I felt slightly down and kind of panicky, but after 1 week those bad feelings went away completely. It has helped me a lot. I can say that my stuttering has improved. I am 80% fluent most of the time and even if I stutter I don't care that much anymore. I also feel closer to people and more confident in general. I feel happier also, and lost 4 kg due to the appetite loss and feeling full earlier. Sex drive has decreased a bit, but it does not interfere in my relationship. Somedays I get bursts of anger over small things. It has also cured my insomnia. Sometimes I feel dizzy but it is not bad and goes away fast.”

Ericka1234 August 31, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “I was prescribed Paxil CR 12.5 for GAD which was mostly situational. I cannot tell you how awful of an experience it was for me. My anxiety went through the roof to the point I didn't want to leave home which is not like me at all. I became very depressed which I wasn't to start out with. Crying uncontrollably. Pacing and restless, could NOT sit still. Went from 140 pounds to 124 in 3 weeks. No appetite, intrusive/racing/all negative thoughts, couldn't sleep for more than an hour or two at a time, paranoid, confused, no concentration, no motivation, sweating, constant diarrhea, jaw clenching, stomach pains, body aches, dry mouth, yawning and dizziness. After 25 days on this med my doctor pulled the plug because I was better before it.”

gingerrogers July 24, 2013

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “I remember feeling weird on Paxil. I guess you can say it helped because I was so focused on that foggy feeling that I stopped thinking about feeling anxious! But, of course, that wasn't a reasonable ore or comfortable way to be treated, so I told the psychiatrist I didn't want the Paxil. And unlike what most folks here experienced, I became anorexic instead of gaining weight. I had no interest in eating at all. As a result, I lost about 10 lbs in 2 weeks, and I was only about 115 lbs to start. My pain doctor has just given me a sample of Cymbalta. He told me to wait til the weekend, in other words, not to take it and try and go to work, until I knew how it would affect me. ”