User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Postpartum Depression 11 reviews 7 medications

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 27 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 354 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Anxiety "This may be an isolated incident, but I only took this medication for 6 weeks and had horrible memory loss. I was unaware that there is a 44% chance of memory loss with this medication. I am trying to work my way back to my old self, who used to have a photographic memory. I highly suggest if you have severe anxiety like I do, do not take this medication."

X August 29, 2016

For Anxiety "I have tried zoloft and cymbalta. All equally effective in my anxiety level but I find effexor has been the best. While I still don't have a ton of energy, I was a zombie on the other two. My libido is back to normal and I'm not hungry 24/7. Zoloft would be my second choice, except I needed to nap everyday and I was always hungry. Cymbalta was very difficult to get off of and I was also very tired. Negative effects of effexor include insomnia - i have urges where i HAVE to get up- but usually melatonin and reading, and NO electronics before bed help that (or xanax as needed.) I also sweat a lot more on it. But having more energy and more libido make it worth it. I have to take a beta blocker because I speak infront of people."

Social phobia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2016

For Depression "I started on the lowest dose about a year ago, I was use to taking my meds at night. Seeing I take 2 different meds for neuropathy, its just easier to remember to take all meds before bed. Well Effexor literally had me up for 2 days straight, so I contacted my doctor who said to start taking it in the morning. I am now on 225mg every morning, and am doing better. I do take it for depression, & anxiety which I have fought with since I was a teen. Effexor is the only one that has truly help, and I haven't giving up on."

Mjackson1981 August 23, 2016

For Anxiety "I have taken Effexor for twenty-five years. I take 75 milligrams at night. I sleep like a baby even though I am 70 and most women my age have some sleep issues. I actually was diagnosed with adult ADD and prescribed the medication for that. I also had anxiety, a hair trigger anger problem, and no social filter. My psychciatrist didn't tell me all that, just that I had ADD. I could accept meds for that. The Effexor started to work within a week and I would not be without it. I like myself a lot better today than before Effexor."

Hudit (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I just wanted to let you all know my current situation in regards to this medication. I have taken Effexor XR for 12-13 years. The overall results have been good. I just wanted to share this experience. I had a MIR for chronic abdominal pain 18 months ago. The MIR discovered a shadowing on my lungs. This shadow was caused by the Effexor XR. This shadow is what we experience while on this medication as a shortness of breath. I did furthur research and the Effexor XR does contribute to lung conditions that cause shortness of breath and difficulity in breathing while exerting yourself. I have undergone several MRI's showing different levels of this lung shadow. I am currently seeking other treatments for my depression."

Concerned Ellen August 17, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Did not help me, and I gained weight."

LolliH August 17, 2016

For Panic Disorder "MY EXPERIENCE with Effexor XR vs Prozac 1) EXR eliminates ALL PANIC ATTACKS 2) Prozac eliminates ALL OBSESSIVE THINKING 3) Prozac made me sleep like a fat cat even tho I RARELY ate, and I gained a ton of weight when I was only 106 lbs to start. 4) EXR did not cause me weight gain (or loss) however it made me very irritable and I caught myself clenching my jaw all day, however had a lot more energy than Prozac. 5) BOTH meds I used over 12 weeks to make a fair comparison. 6) I saw a bio-identical hormones therapist to see what's going on. No clear cut answers. So here is my thought. You're a normal person being a normal life with a normal energy level. You take Prozac and Wham! You're sleeping 10 hours a day............................."

SouthernSummer August 15, 2016

For Anxiety "I took this pill one day and that was all I needed to, I took it at 5:30 pm and was fine, until I wanted to sleep. I tossed and turned all night, my heart racing, I was literally so tired but my mind just would not shut down. Those things they call brain zaps are terrifying, DO NOT TAKE THIS."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

For Anxiety "So here is my experience with Effexor, I hope it helps you make an informed decision. I started taking it two months ago as a change to the Citalopram I have been on for over 5 years. I suffer from anxiety. The first three weeks, improvement in my mood, better temper control also. Week three, the insomnia kicked in and strange urges to HAVE to get up and move around. Week four, Serious shortness of breath on exertion, ringing ears, lip numbness and malaise. Turns out I was allergic to it! Doc tool me off it, immediately, then the withdraw began. OH my G*#. The worst experience of my life. Paranoia, hallucinations, panic attacks (my first ever), breathing trouble, the list goes on. If you research the withdraw, it's not worth it!"

Mil-fire guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2016

For Depression "I experienced a very low libido, very few erections, and dry orgasms."

Edward Barker (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

For Depression "Didn't find it a whole lot different from SSRIs other than a couple weeks of jitters. Starts off with a contented, floaty feeling and then after a month subsides to having a minor, yet meaningful effect in helping me recover from recurrent depressive episodes. It helps, but only marginally. The withdrawal effects I've experienced going cold turkey off it numerous times are strange. A couple months of severe flu-like symptoms and I'll cry very easily over anything even remotely sad. Also causes me to start rapid-cycling between euphoria, mixed and extreme depression. Also lasts a couple months. Going off of it abruptly is quite terrifying. I recommend titrating off it."

Kyle BC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've started taking Effexor XR recently at the lowest dose 37.5mg and the first day you get very nauseous even if you do eat beforehand, I felt so foggy. After a few days the side effects subsided so I upped my dosage to 75mg and the same thing happened. So I'd recommend when starting this medication you also have an anti nausea medication with it otherwise you'll have a few crappy days. This medication has benefited me the most out of all the others I tried because it brought back my focus."

major depression (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2016

For Anxiety "I started taking velaflaxine (Effexor) about 2 1/2 weeks ago I started on half of a 75 mg pill and now have moved up to a full pill. At first you experience some side effects like loss of appetite, fast heart beat, hot flashes and a little numbness down below. But everyone is different and everyone reacts differently. After almost three weeks of taking it I already feel relief. My anxiety is getting better and better, and I sleep so much better at night cause I can actually relax for once! I'm looking forward to seeing how much better I feel after two months of taking it. If you are willing to pressure through the rough side effects then the benefits are so worth it!"

Cmv2550 July 19, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on Effexor xr for 2 weeks and it's great. I had been on Zoloft before and it pooped out on me so my doc switched me to Effexor xr and after 2 days I started feeling good again. I take 37.5 mg per day. I come back to write here because I wanna give back to this forum and give hope for anybody that suffer from this like me. keep to try the med that suit for you. best wish!"

Asian July 8, 2016

For Panic Disorder "Prior to starting this medication I couldn't drive in the car by myself anymore, I could barely go into the convenient store by myself without having a panic attack. After searching for a doctor that could help me I landed the best psychiatrist who prescribed me Effexor. I started with a low dose and was also taken Ativan as a crutch to get through until the Effexor worked. Before starting this I swore that I would never regain control of my life. Effexor change my life and saved me from the helplessness that I felt. I am now off the Ativan and have not needed any sense stopping it. There is freedom beyond panic and anxiety. This may not work for everybody but it worked for me."

No longer hopeless (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2016

For Depression "Effexor XR really has been working wonders on my life. It has relieved me of a lot of my depression while still giving me my energy, unlike SSRIs. If weight gain is a problem for you and you have depression, definitely try an SNRI first. As you may or may not know, Wellbutrin is another antidepressant that is supposed to encourage weight loss while relieving depression. It affects norepinephrine and dopamine. I tried Wellbutrin awhile ago, and failed miserably on it due to the anxiety it brought on. Therefore, I was hesitant at first because I heard that Effexor XR affects norepinephrine as well. However, it has been completely the opposite. I have gone from constantly laying in bed all day long to wanting to get up and exercise."

Vin992211 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

For Depression "I wouldn't recommend this medication to my worst enemy. Although it seemed to work in a mild sense for my anxiety, when I missed even one dose, I paid dire consequences. I would wake up the next day dizzy, unable to see straight, started experiencing migraines, and would sweat day and night. I wish that my healthcare provider would have warned me of the detoxes before I accepted this treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

For Anxiety "Brilliant"

Missymoo 64 June 21, 2016

For Depression "Made depression worst ,was not effective even at 150 mg. I got an understanding of why people become alcoholics or drug abusers on Effexor/Venlafaxine. I would lay in bed all day waiting for life to pass by. I never had feelings of despair so severe. If I mised a dose or waited for an hour later to take Effexor I had an intense "Rush". I would pace around like on cocaine or speed. You cannot stop taking this medication. I am still trying to get off it! When I reduced my dose I had a drunk effect with nausea I just felt so awful. I consider this to be a drug that shoudnt be prescribed. Celexa and zoloft "robot drug"worked well on me for anxiety and depression but I do NOT recommend this medication. Going back to Elavil"

ladybug33 June 20, 2016

For Depression "I've been taking Effexor for about six months. within the first month I was up to 150mg. Since then I no longer have depression. I do have some moments of depression but not days/weeks. I do not have any panic attacks anymore! I'm not nearly as nervous as I was before Effexor. HOWEVER, my first week on Effexor was hell. I was extremely anxious, teeth chattering, night sweats, buzzing headache. and after months on Effexor if I miss one dose I get brain zaps. I'm also having vivid dreams. good dreams and bad ones. THIS MEDICINE TAKES TIME"

blondielocks June 18, 2016

For Depression "primary care doctor started me on effexor xr 75, increased to 150 after 1 month. I was still very depressed and went to a psychitrist, crying at the first visit. she said it was melancholic and immediately doubled the dose to 300/day. It worked very well at the high dose, which I took for 4 years. it was more effective and continued to be the whole 4 years. best of all i had tried (paxil, celexa, lexapro, wellbutrin). i seemed to be in remission, we began tapering down. went to 150 for 1 month, then 75 for 1 month then stopped. i got the foggy feeling and "brain zaps" but a temporary increase in my klonopin dose for a week and i felt fine. i should mention i went through alcohol and opiate withdrawal before, so this seemed not that bad."

ewh75 June 17, 2016

For Depression "Took first dose of 75mg before bed. Fell asleep at 1030 and slept well, actually. Woke up at 530 with eyes wide open as if i just had 10 espressos. It's now 630 and I don't have to be out of bed until 7. Can't sleep anymore. Feeling jittery with jaw clenching and teeth chattering when I open my mouth a little. Hands are sweating. I feel a little emotionally numb. Slight ringing in ears and slight headache with slight nausea. I feel peaceful but dull. Not sure if I will take again."

Lylalola84 June 1, 2016

For Depression "I have been on effexor xr for 11 years now and it works wonderfully for me. The only side effect was dry mouth and constipation. It.s not for every patient. Always contact your doctor if your symptoms worsen."

depression/free May 28, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking Effexor for 13 months now. Initially I was prescribed 75 mg while hospitalized at an inpatient psychiatric facility but that was increased to 150 mg by the time I was discharged. Never in my life have I felt this way - normal!! My crying spells, anhedonia, suicidal ideations, psychosis... it's all gone gone gone! This medication has saved my life. I am so happy to take my meds every morning."

NurseSlacky (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been taking venlafaxine 150mg xr for nearly 3 years along with an antipsychotic to treat bipolar 2. Having tried all kinds of anti depressants this is the one that's worked for me. The down side is the withdrawal symptoms should you miss a dose but these go away as soon as you take it again. Dizzy spells/feeling drunk is the only way I can describe them. It has a short half life of 7 hrs which indicates that they have these symptoms. I've had no side effects & would recommend venlafaxine over other antidepressants inc citelopram & mirtazipine."

Pollyp82 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2016