User Reviews for Effexor XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Effexor XR.

Postpartum Depression

Vulvodynia

1 review 9 medications
Summary of Effexor XR reviews 7.0 483 reviews

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Depression "If your not prescribed enough it makes your anxiety go through the roof"

JujjuJu December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been taking 75mg once per day, for 15 yrs. Has always worked well for me with no side effects but I would like to get off of it because........15 yrs! Do I still need it? But if I miss one dose, brain shocks like crazy. This is scary to me that it can do that. It makes me very nervous about even considering weaning off of it."

Dragonpen007 December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on Effexor for 9 weeks now and I have to say it is working like a charm!! I have not experienced any side effects other than a dry month and am a little slower to achieve an orgasm (the desire is still there however). I am soooo glad I decided to take Effexor!! I had been dealing with horrible anxiety for about a year and would constantly think about it throughout the day. I was effecting simple tasks and crippling me. I feel like my old self again! Not over thinking every damn thing! I had an allergic reaction to Zoloft so I was very afraid to start a new med. So glad I did!"

Sheri D December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been taking effexor XR for almost a year now! I suffered from post partum depression! I'm about to be 28 and had only taken an anti depressant back when I was 16 for less than a year. Negatives when starting effexor for me were insomnia and loss of appetite ! My doc prescribed me a low dose sleep aid and after 4 months of taking effexor I no longer needed the sleep aide! I'm currently on 75MGs and I'm productive, happy most days, and no more panic attacks that are unmanageable. I even gained my weight back !! This medication isn't for everyone but it worked for me! Negatives I still experience every now and then are rapid heart beat, hard to concentrate on one thing, and sometimes too much energy but can be levelled out with exercise!"

Stay at home mom December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I feel it's important to share because as a mom I was on line in the middle of the night searching for answers for my daughter. She is 13 and has anxiety. At 4 she had night terrors and then would pass out with any pain. She started to be difficult to take to school in 4th grade due to the fear of throwing up. She was put on Lexapro after my great hesitation as she was so young. It helped a little. When 7th grade hit her body was 2 seconds from fight or flight. Frequent panic attacks were long and exhausting. Long story short she had genetic testing done and Effexor was on her list of Med's that should work. She is like night and day after around four weeks. Its about finding the right med for you. Genetic testing is a start."

Jellybean04 November 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I’ve been dealing with a lot lately that is out of my control and have admittedly been depressed most of my life (I am 29 years old). A breakup reeked havoc on my mental health and I consulted a psychiatrist. Was prescribed generic 37.5mg for 2 weeks then was instructed to double dose. First pill took around 11am yesterday, by 2pm I was nauseous, dry heaving, had incredibly bad diarrhea, double vision, back pain, and was becoming very lethargic. My jaw was clenched most of the day and I was grinding my teeth all night. I didn’t sleep well, woke up pacicking and having racing thoughts. Doctor said to quit taking it. One pill was enough. Never again."

NeverAgainEffexor November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I took it for 2 weeks. Started 75mg first week and went up to 150mg the second. Several days after I increased the dosage, I lost all sex potency and sex drive completely. I'm a 25 year old man and I was not able to orgasm at all. After I stopped I have VERY SEVERE withdrawal symptoms. I had to lose work for several days and was very close to being sent to a hospital. At NO POINT did my doctor warn me of any of these symptoms. It's very important to understand that this drug is that this drug CAN cause permanent damage and that it is highly addictive even after a short time. I'd rather take a bullet to my head than take this pill ever again."

tjw14 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Have taken 75 mg for about 2 years. Usually helpful but when I forget to take it at night the next day I am sobbing and I am today. This morning I took a double dose, hoping to cut short the crying sessions. I understand that Effexor ER has a short half life. Does this mean it catches up? I have had to take antipressants since age 27. I’m now 67. Guess now my dx is called MDD. I’ve tried to get off meds but the depression always returns. My brother thinks one can just get over it. But I realize it is inherited brain chemistry for my situation so the meds will always be necessary. Approaching holidays add to the challenge."

Pekemom (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was given this medicine for anxiety and depression, after a month of taking the 37.5mg this medicine has increased my symptoms of anxiety and depression substantially. Also since I have started taking this medication I have developed some new symptoms such as mania and hallucinations. The pains attacks associated with this medicine are horrifying as well. The most disturbing thing about the drug, to me, is the extremely lifelike and vivid dreams that make you believe you've been up all night but in reality you've been asleep, this makes waking up very difficult because it's hard to tell if you're awake or not. This is an extremely powerful drug, I would discuss other options with your doctor before trying Effexor XR"

Jrhill4463 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on 75mg of venlafaxine for 6 or 7 years. It is good for me. Before Effexor, my emotions felt like being hit by a truck. After Effexor, it gives me a moment to THINK about things, rather than just disintegrating into a puddle on the floor. I still have feelings, but they're not as overwhelming and I don't feel like I HAVE to react to them. Side effects: sweating and tiredness. I take a lot of naps! Missing a dose: About an hour or two after my time to take my pill, if I forget to, I'd get tingly and dizzy. Withdrawal: I recently tried to stop taking Effexor cold turkey. I lasted 6 days. Intense anger, bursting into tears, a static feeling in my head, like a TV set on no channel, and a tingly feeling in my lips."

AfternoonMocha (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I first used Effexor XR 75 mg at the start of 2016 to treat depression/ anxiety. Side effects were things such as dry mouth, frequent urination, problems sleeping at night. After 2 weeks these reduced greatly and after a further 2 weeks my mood improved greatly and my anxiety reduced. My ongoing side effects were strange (not unpleasant) dreams and sometimes night sweats - neck and chest. I tapered off to 37.5 and then stopped October 2016. The withdrawals - head zaps in the main - lasted about a week and were not too bad. I stopped because I felt so much better. During mid 2017 I went down hill again and was back at the GP's sobbing my heart out and at home being a complete pain to my wife. I started 75mg again 4 weeks ago. Much better!"

SRH1957 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "At 75mg I did ok but was still depressed. If I miss a dose I get crying spells the next day (I take all my meds, 4, at night) at 150mg I started hearing things, unable to focus, and unable to hold urine - yes I learned that its a side effect. So am down to 75mg and am scared to change it but have expressed interest to my doctor. She added lithium and its helping (I also take tegretol and abilify) so overall, just do your own research before taking anything. Once you are on something you should NOT quit cold turkey."

JustMe83 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I suffered from depression and anxiety all through university. Effexor helped me finish my degree and I couldn't be happier. Everyone can react differently, just pay attention to your body."

Monst (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Worked quickly (or it was in my head), lots of yawning, by week 4 very drowsy in the morning on my 90 minute drive to work so started taking it after I got to work which is better for society in general. Sometimes restless sleep. Having said that, I had a lot negative thoughts about my life that I don't notice or dwell on now so I am really good with these minor side effects. I'm much happier, less irritable and family recognized it easily. I'm genuinely happy with it and thankfully no nasty side effects (thus far)."

Your Nickname October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been battling with major depression/anxiety since I was 12. I’ve been admitted in a mental institution twice. I’m now 18 yrs old, I’ve literally been on every med you can name. I was put on a type of B/P med to calm me down. It has, but I’ve still been so utterly depressed I can’t even function correctly. I saw my doctor yesterday and he put me on Effexor 37.5mg once a day. I took it around 4:00 pm (I couldn’t wait, things have to get better) and now here I am lying on the couch at 5:09am, I’ve been up since 11, with a little bit of nausea. Cannot go back to sleep..BUT I already feel better.. the heaviness and sad dwelling feeling is gone. It hasn’t even been 24 hours and I can breathe again.. Taking it in the morning instead."

Anonymous October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was prescribed the Effexor ER for acute depression and anxiety after a death in the family and only took it for a month, but it made me sane and able to face every day as a teacher without crying randomly throughout the day. That was 2 years ago. I was prescribed it again for the same thing when my fiance passed away. I thought I was ready to stop taking it after 3 weeks but I found myself fighting back tears over small incidents like breaking a pen or a student asking me a simple question about the material. I started taking it again and it's been a life saver for me. I can still take the time to reminisce at night and grieve, although the tears seldomly come. If you aren't on it long then the withdrawal isn't bad at all. Hope this helps!:)"

AshleyLeAnna September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Wow, is all I can say. Was hospitalized for extreme depression after trying to take my own life and all I can say is that this drug change my life. It has been one year on it and I am so much happier. I have no side effects from taking this plus I have so much more energy."

Bryan Of Canada September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "After an escalating two year psychotic depression I finally sought help- I was suicidal and believed I was beyond help. Olanzapine eased the psychosis but the deep dark depression I was in was relentless. It took a year of finding the right fit, prozac and citalopram didn't help me at all. Finally I was put on Effexor at 225mg and have been on it for 3 months. It has made a massive difference in a short amount of time. Don't take as long as I did to find the right combo, I assumed these drugs were more or less the same so thought they just couldn't help me. Effexor saved the day, and with olanzapine, my life!"

BPGirl40 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Let me start by saying..... Two years ago I was prescribed 37.5mg for 7 days then was supposed to step up to 75mg......I got both prescriptions but after reading all the negative reviews I got scared, never took one pill and threw them all away. Until recently, when I needed to try and see if they work for my own peace of mind. I have generalized anxiety disorder and apparently was depressed as well but didn't realize it until I started taking it. I take 37.5mg at same time at night, just before bed. No side effects. Dr. keeps trying to up it to 75mg but 37.5mg works for me so I won't fill the 75mg script. It takes the "Edge" off. I suggest if you want to try it to start low and take it for awhile but only increase if it's not enough. Cheers!"

Manelyred (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have not rated this yet cause I have just started on Effexor XR. I am 48 years old widow. My husband and stepdaughter died 2014 suddenly. I went spinning out of control. I guess you can say I had a nervous breakdown. In the past 6 months my moods have been all over the place from crying to anger. Lashing out in anger with my boyfriend and his son. My doctor took is taking me off slowly Seraquol and Lexapro and has put me on Effexor XR. I have been on it for 3 days. I am starting to feel a little change-for the better. I will keep everyone up to date on how I feel. It is better than being a royal cow."

Hotsie (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "It was alright and helped a bit however being on one of the highest doses, missing a dosage was abysmal, one of the worst experiences ever. Try to find something else."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "It has changed my life, I've been on effexor (75mg) for almost 2 months and it's hard to realize that your life was a mess before effexor. It took away my physical pain and my anxiety, the first few weeks felt as if a veil was pulled out and then I as able to feel me again and to see everything around me on a new light, calmer light. And I realized I was not a choleric (bad-tempered or irritable) person but a pretty laid back one."

GStella September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I'm a middle aged professional that's dealt with depression and anxiety since my teen years. I've tried many different types of medications that target anxiety and depression, albeit with mixed results. My depression, stress, and anxiety levels had gotten worse within the last year (haven't been on any medications for over 10 years), so I went to see my doctor. I've been taking Effexor for about a month now and it's, by far, given me the most relief over any previous med. Stress levels have gone way down as I no longer tend to ruminate on things out of my control. It's much easier to drop the negative thinking and move on to something else. Anxiety and depression have also been greatly reduced. No major side effects for me (at 37.5)"

Golf2Relax (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Worked great for Social anxiety and anxiety, the downsides for me are loss of appetite and sexual dysfunction Had no luck ejaculating when I'm on it. Other side effects disappear around 2 weeks"

Max233 September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was prescribed this for onset of anxiety and possible hormonal mood swings. I was not told by my doctor how it would make me feel or how hard coming off of it would be. I took one 37.5 mg capsule and was horrified that I was given this. I woke up at 2am with an anxiety attack for about the first hour. It then went into being wired, nauseous, shakey, weak, chills and sweating. 11 years ago I quit using meth and this was awful that I felt like I was on it again. I laid in bed the entire day, wide awake and ill. I never took another dose! And even one pill took at least another full day to leave my system. My nervous system is obviously sensitive and I could not handle this medication at all."

Took once and never again!!! (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017