User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Postpartum Depression 12 reviews 7 medications

6.7
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 417 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Postpartum Depression "At 3 months post partum I started experiencing slight symptoms of PPD. I handled it and worked myself through it, thought I had it under control until I found myself uncontrollably crying, panic attacks, insomnia, excessive anger, lots of feelings of self worthlessness. My Dr first proscribed me Zoloft at 5 months post partum, for 3 weeks I had no luck. She then switched me to Effexor xr 37.5mg, as they say, the "light bulb" came back on after 2 weeks. I have had very bad anxiety since I was 14, I am now currently taking Effexor xr 75mg daily and am at 7 months post partum. Depression, the horrible self feelings I experienced were not anything I have ever felt with prior to this experience. Effexor changed my life!"

I just wasn't me for a while (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I started off with 75mg and have stayed on it ever since because I found no reason to change it. The first day I could feel this medication working, it was a little much at first but nothing I couldn't handle. But I soon noticed that it took all my emotions away and made me dull to everything going on around me and in my life. Most don't like that but I really do, I feel as if I have no cares in the world at all. Nothing goes through my head at all, its like magic. It takes me a little bit to actually get my brain going and operating but thats fine with me. Sleep and sex drive has gone down but I still get the sleep need and if I need to preform I can. I just don't have the desire to want sex. Its changed my life in such good ways."

KingGrilz February 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I never write reviews but I figured I had to share how truly life-changing Effexor has been for me. I've suffered with GAD and Major Depressive Disorder for quite some time. I was on and off of Prozac for about five years. When it stopped working, I began taking Effexor XR 37.5mg. I started feeling better, more calm, less anxious. Last year, someone I had dated for years and had recently broken up with passed away tragically. I was a disaster. My dosage was increased to 75mg, then 150mg, and now 225mg. Honestly - I don't know how I would have made it to where I am today without this medication. It has controlled my anxiety, my panic attacks and my depression. I still have bad days, I'm still in mourning, but I finally feel normal."

FreeAtLast55 February 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "Effexor changed my life. I was suffering from bad depression for over two years due to something that happened in my life. I couldn't get the thoughts out of my mind. So daily, I would feel sad and depressed. I started with Wellbutrin, which I liked for depression and energy, but it made my anxiety which I also have worse. Anyways back to Effexor. The first 2 weeks taking effexor were kinda horrible. I felt weird, tired, and I was thinking of stopping this medication. But I stuck with it. I have to say I feel normal again, and my depression is gone. Even if I think of my past, I don't get sad anymore. So thank you Effexor"

Loveurlife February 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Hi, I've been on Effexor for 2 weeks now. I feel a lot less anxious and generally happier. I've noticed some side effects, which I was expecting. So I thought I'd share my experience. Sweaty hands, blurred vision, nightmares, stomach ache / head ache, loss of appetite, weight loss, trouble sleeping, major increase of the the effects of alcohol. Those are just some of them."

firsttimeeffexor February 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Panic Disorder "I took Effexor for about 2 years for my panic disorder and it was a huge mistake! Effexor caused me to have violent out burst which I never had before the medicine, increased aniexty and suicidal thoughts.I thought I was doing good on the Effexor but everyone around me saw a complete change in me and it was bad. Almost 1 month ago I was sick for 3 days and was unable to keep my Effexor down from being sick so without knowing withdrawal began which included manic behavior, crying spells, nausea, brain zaps and a suicide attempt that landed me in a mental hospital and while there detoxed from the Effexor and put on new medicine. I know Effexor has worked for a lot of people but I wanted to share my story so people will research before starting"

Jacquelyne February 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I am ready to start this ! I'm nervous of the side effects but so tired of crying all the time for small reasons ? I work 11-7a don't know when to start this ? Mornings or nights ? I hope it helps me ? 37.5 for one month then up to 75 mg a day ! Any suggestions will help"

Cathyjerome February 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Before anyone agrees to taking Effexor (venlafaxine), please look at the withdrawl symptoms. The symptoms and experience has been likened to heroin or opiate addiction withdrawl. Please do your research and regardless of what your doctor tells you, THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES! I hope this helps someone."

TrySomethingElse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I believe this medication saved my life. I did feel extremely sleepy at first while my dosage was being raised but that went away quickly. I have a new feeling of wanting to get up and do things that wasn't there before. I also feel a sense of calm and peacefulness. The only side effects so far that were troublesome is constipation and sometimes it's hard to concentrate if someone is speaking."

Ceriidwen January 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started taking Effexor about 3 days ago. So far, it's been pretty crazy. I'm sweaty all of the time, nauseous yet starving, and cannot stay asleep for the life of me. However, it is really helping with my anxiety. I suffer from dermatilioma, which causes me to pick my skin. I have noticed that I've been picking A LOT LESS in just 3 days! My scabs are clearing up, and I'm not "catching" myself picking nearly as often. I also feel calm and relaxed. The side effects seriously suck though. As I type this, my phone is about to slip out of my hands from sweat. I'm a 95 lb 21 year old and I don't think I've ever sweated so much in my life. It's also been making dizzy. It's worth it to me though. If it will help me stop picking, I'll do anything."

Meg95 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Panic Disorder "The good: tried after 3 years of agoraphobia and relying on diazepam to do even go down the road. 7 months later I'm at university, living a normal life, going to job interviews, socialising with friends, and I'm going abroad (for the first time in 6 years!) next week. Venlafaxine saved my life. The bad: you have to take it twice a day which is annoying if you're a disorganised student like me! Also if I forget to take a tablet by even a few hours, ZZZZAP! the brain zaps are so intense it feels like my head is being pounded by a fibrillater, plus dizziness, etc etc. Other notable side affects for me are excessive night sweats, and dry mouth. The good outweighs the bad 100% though... I love venlafaxine for how much it's helped me."

Holasophia (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I had a nervous breakdown when I was 38, I literally felt as if I was going out of my mind. I had gotten pregnant when I was 21 and had terminated the pregnancy. I had a few years of depression with no meds . I left my Husband and two children and went and stayed with my Sister. She promptly took me to a Psychiatrist that put me on Effexor Xr 75 mg twice a day. He also gave me Xanax to help me with the breakdown. Effexor and my Dr. saved my life. I have been on Effexor for 22 years. I sometimes feel the depression coming back and I now still have lots of Anxiety. but I take my Xanax and it helps. I have switched to Prozac, Brintellix, Lexapro . None of them work. I always go back to Effexor. I pray daily that God will heal me ."

Coookie January 20, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Panic Disorder "I have been taking Effexor for three years now and I've had good luck with it. I take 150 mg per day. I have panic disorder and depression and Effexor has been a godsend. I haven't had a panic attack since I started it 3 years ago. The only downside is if you miss a dose you really feel it."

Verniece (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder "This med was given to me to replace lexapro and klonipin I took the med as directed and had the worst week of my life. The vivid dreams caused me to believe my sister and friends we're sneaking around trying to take my house or shooting me and burning it down it was so real to me. The tremors were uncontrollable I didn't know what day it was, I was living a nightmare. I'm 55 with two adult children I couldn't drive walk work it made me a zombie. I wouldn't give this med to my worst enemy. Every side effect I had"

Veniceboy January 13, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "If you want to live life on a drug, this worked! But beware for when you come off! Best bet is to supplement naturally. Your body is lacking something that you can get in a better-for-you form. Withdrawal symptoms are terrible!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 12, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Been on this Generic XR capsule 150 mg.just 4 days and have nausea, shakiness, blurry vision, insomnia, crying spells. This is awful and getting off this right away! Was on just before I started taking this was just 2 tablets, twice a day 75mg. No problems of side effects. Just wasn't working much anymore. There is a difference on side effects!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I used Effexor XR for depression and anxiety for almost two (2) years. Effexor has terrible anxiety and nausea first several days. I started 37.5 with .5 Clonazepam in the morning and before night, then upped to 75mg. Clonazepam was removed once my sleep was restored. Great Drug gave me life and energy. Side effects lowered erection, sex drive and orgasm. Kept me going well, gave much more energy comparing to Lexapro. Getting off after 2 years was not a problem. I was slowly reducing dose each 2-3 weeks."

Osg January 6, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "On Effexor for 14 years. 150 milligrams daily of the IR not the XR so I was taking 75mg 2 times per day. In retrospect, the medicine worked for me for about a year and the other 13 were just maintenance years. I also found since titrating from 150mg down to 9.75 mg that I feel human again. Effexor solved zero problems for me and it simply numbed me to feeling strong emotion. I also dropped 36 pounds since coming off of this medicine and feel a heck of a lot better. I have been titrating since July of 2015 and my last titration to zero will be in 2 weeks. As stated before, this stuff doesn't solve problems, it just numbs human emotion. Me, like many other folks need to learn how to accept our emotions. The answer isn't always a drug"

Eagles16 (taken for 10 years or more) January 5, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "If my comment helps anyone not to take this drug Effexor then I will have helped many people. I have been on and off Effexor for 10 years I'm currently off Effexor I weaned myself over 6 months. I have not read any where and I have done a lot of research that anyone has written if they have successfully stayed of this drug for more than 12 months. So hear I am to tell you it's been 9 months and once the side effect of the brain buzzes nauseous aching bones itchiness have gone away Life does begin to feel better I caught myself laughing and not feeling it was fake and crying at Tv shows Effexor gives you a fake feeling of happiness/sadness but after being on it for to long you just feel numb I believe this is why people end up wanting to come off it cause you have no emotion that and the amount of weight you will gain. 9 months and I'm probably back to where I began in needing this medication but I am trying everything I possibly can to stay of it This includes: Free hypnosis apps Free mediation apps Self help quotes Vitamin b12 Iron tablets The biggest one is when I mentally feel myself thinking negative I tell myself to stop and think of my daughters smiling face I'm not cured I'm far from it but I will never take this drug again I was worse with it than without it If I help one person not to take this drug the I will be a better person good luck"

Mulloz (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I have been taking Effexor on and off for the past 10 years. There is no better medicine for my anxiety than Effexor. The trick with Effexor XR is that you need to know exactly how to take it and not to take more than what you really need. I am now on a steady 37.5mg (minimum dose) and it works just fine. My doctor tells me that that low dose is hardly therapeutic but it works just fine for me. Of course I need to practice many anxiety relief techniques, especially the ones that help get you back to sleep, but overall, Effexor XR at 37.5 mg each morning takes the severe edge off my condition, I do the rest. It's a good mix."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 3, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I've suffered from severe panic disorder since I was 10. I am 45 now. I was on 200mg of Zoloft for 18 years. It took away my anxiety, but also took away any motivation. I was a zombie for all of those years and slept all the time. My new Dr. suggested switching to Effexor. I was afraid that it wouldn't work and my panic would come back. I was so wrong. After a week on 37.5 mg, my energy was back and anxiety still gone. I'm on 75mg. I can't believe I stayed on Zoloft so long! I can think and do things again! I don't sleep all the time. Everyone reacts differently. If this med doesn't work for you, I'm sure there is one that will. Wish I would've switched sooner. No side effects at all!"

What's anxiety? (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Was on this med for 5 years. Worked fine but not great. Stopped the panic attacks and gave me relief of every day nervousness that I was experiencing. Took months for the side effects to diminish when I first started taking it. What did not leave - insomnia, night sweats, lack of sex drive and poor orgasms (or no orgasms at all)."

B123456 December 27, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I tried Effexor for 4 weeks and it really made my life a living hell. I got more and more and more anxiety and after 4 weeks, I just couldn't take it further because of the side effects. But the worst part was the week after I stopped taking effexor. It was an insane depression. I"

NorwegianMan (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "I have had terrible anxiety driven depression my entire life. Effexor is an amazing medication. I waited until I was in my late 30's to do something about my anxiety/depression because of the stigma and fear of taking anything that might make me go crazy (the anxiety talking). I was a fool to wait so long. None of my fears materialized. As soon as I started the medication I began to feel better and better. I was also prescribed Kolozopin to act as a bridge to get through the anxiety until everything began to work and fall into place. Do NOTe wait hoping things will pass! I was convinced I was the worst case scenario and I got better. Just do it and get treated"

RichGB55 December 15, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety "Just an FYI. Not all anxiety medications work for everyone. This one works amazingly for me but works horribly for a good friend of mine. She took a test to determine what medication was best for her and was able to find the best match. If you are on a medication that isn't working don't give up hope, ask to do the test and try something until you find one that works for you. If your doctor isn't accommodating look for another one. Cheers."

feeling Way better December 7, 2016