User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Postpartum Depression 11 reviews 7 medications

6.9
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 368 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Depression "I was on Effexor XR for almost 4 months for major depression and anxiety. It caused stomach upset which got worse with every increase in dosage.( I also suffer with IBS so it was hard to tell for a while if it was the Effexor or not.)The worst part however, was yet to come. I started spotting the 3rd month I was on it and by the 4th month on 150mg, I was bleeding as if I had my period every single day. My psychiatrist is tapering me off it and at 75mg now, I have less stomach pain and no bleeding. We will try Zoloft next."

Nika776 September 23, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been taking Venlafaxine 75mg for about 9 months now. It has helped tremendously with my anxiety, unfortunately I've gained 50lbs on this med. I can't keep on this bc of the huge weight gain, but I wish I could. I haven't had any other side effects."

Anxiety Help (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was diagnosed with GAD with symptoms including general fatigue, anxiety, panic and insomnia. Started off at 35mg but now on 150mg in morning and 75mg at night which seems to be keeping me pretty stable. However the withdrawal is horrendous. If I miss a couple of doses I get brain zaps, I can hear my eyeballs moving in my head, very anxious and panic. It works but this is some seriously messed up stuff...I can see I may have to be on this forever wheras I gave up prozac cold turkey with no problems at all."

Betty007 September 18, 2016

For Depression "Male, 6'2", 150lb. I take 75mg of Effexor XR in the AM and 15mg of Remeron in the PM for suicidal depression and generalized anxiety. Some days I take higher doses of 112.5mg and 30mg. The combination has worked wonders for my condition. I started on Remeron initially and titrated to 45mg/day, but did not feel it was working for my depression, although it did help with sleep and appetite. I tried gabapentin for a while and was able to quit Remeron entirely for some time (wanted to give my receptors a break). Gabapentin was great for anxiety but made me more suicidal. I quit gabapentin and went back on just 15mg of Remeron, this time also adding the Effexor. I have been very happy with the results. It seems to be the first medication that really works for me. I had significant side effects when starting Effexor, but they subsided completely after about a week- feeling high much like MDMA, and I had diarrhea and some insomnia. When I increased from 37.5 to 75 mg, the only con I noticed was lower energy level (and some yawning). I started drinking some coffee to help with that. This is a very serious medication to be taking, as I know it can be very hard to withdraw from; however, I am committed to sticking with it. Eventually may increase my dose up to 150mg. Effexor makes me feel very mellow. I am less concerned about what people think of me. I am quite confident with the ladies. My sex life has been better than ever on this med combination. I have wondered if my sense of humor is dulled, however. I am also somewhat lazy, but this may change when I go up to a higher dose. Risk-taking behaviors should be watched when increasing the dose, as I broke my ankle playing sports. Overall, I give this medication 9/10 and am very happy that I got the script. I recommend taking it with Remeron to better manage the nighttime, and to counteract the side effects. They have a wonderful synergy. My only concern is that they may eventually stop working, and I may eventually have to stop taking them and suffer the infamous withdrawals."

Roger33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2016

For Anxiety "Started effexor after citalopram stopped working for anxiety and depression, been taking it for 3 years, was up to 150mg, tapered down to 37.5mg, slowly over 6 months, mainly because of weight gain, and feeling more calm, No problems in reducing, but am reluctant to go lower in case of a relapse, has anyone lost weight after reducing the dose, or do you have to come off completely ? I rate effexor, except for weight gain, and sweating, the only med that has made me function normally,"

lily 1 September 11, 2016

For Depression "Adding just 37.5mg of Effexor to my 15mg of Remeron had quite an impressive effect for my depression and anxiety. I titrated to 75mg and have stuck with that for several months with great results. This is the first medication that I feel has truly worked for me. (In the past, I've taken bupropion, hydroxyzine, propranolol, gabapentin). The combination with mirtazapine makes for almost a perfect synergy. I feel that I have achieved true therapy and healing since I started taking "california rocket fuel"."

Duckyjwalker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2016

For Anxiety "No pill is for everyone, but this medication honestly changed my life. I am 23 and have been on it since I was 17. Before it, I was miserable, couldn't focus, and constantly wanted to die. I struggle with GAD and Depression, and this medication has honestly been the only thing to make it bearable. My life feels manageable, and I know I can conquer anything. I interact with people in a way that represents who I really am, not in a way that reflects my anxieties and insecurities. I almost didn't finish high school before Effexor and I now have a BA in Political Science and am heading off to law school. Like I said, this medication isn't for everyone, but it honestly changed my life and I will forever be grateful."

EmilyMichelle September 11, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Effexor has finally made me feel like myself again... Can't remember the last time I was me, it's been at least 7 or 8 years. Tried Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Zoloft with no relief and bad side effects. Celexa worked so-so. Effexor has given me my motivation and happiness back. Only side effects for me are night sweats and slight headache/dizziness if I forget a dose...worth it in my opinion to be me again! Don't forget counselling/ therapy too... Didn't feel the most helpful most days (I cried every time I went) but I can tell my maladaptive thought patterns have changed."

Zilla! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 9, 2016

For Anxiety "Do not take this medication! There is NO other medication for depression/anxiety that has withdrawal symptoms that put you in excruciating pain! You become a person without feelings, almost hard hearted on this medication! Please please have your Dr. try other meds first! I am so angry that I trusted my psychiatrist! I feel betrayed! Thank God I have my general Doctor who is spending more time with me to help me get off of this medication!"

unhappy4effexor September 8, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been taking Effexor XR 37.5 mgs for 8 days & the worse SEs are horrible fatigue & sweats. The 1st day I was light-headed but that went away. I skipped today to see if I got withdrawal symptoms & I did. Tomorrow I will go back on it. If the chronic fatigue continues I will have to figure which med to try next. For my depression to subside I would probably need a higher dosage but I don't think I could handle the SEs. I know for some people it works well at 150 mgs but I could never tolerate that dose."

wannabbetter September 6, 2016

For Anxiety "I told myself I'd come back and write a review if I liked Effexor, because people tend to only write reviews if they don't like it, and that's scary for someone who is trying to figure out whether to try it or not. This was the first medication I've tried to treat my chronic GAD. Before Effexor, I was living in a state of constant panic and anxiety. It was really awful, and I felt like I couldn't continue much longer without completely breaking down. I'm now 3 months in, and it has helped so much. I am still myself and I have anxious thoughts, but there is no longer that sense of panic and overwhelming fear. I feel like I did pre-anxiety and its wonderful. Everyone reacts differently, but have hope! Medication can work!"

Jon Sullivan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2016

For Anxiety "Stay away from sharp objects!! 2 months on 37.5MG Effexor - feels like my attention is limited to a single train of thought. I can't do more than one thing at once without risking personal injury. Clumsily shredded myself bloody more than ever in my life while on this med. Doors and fridge cut my feet open because I literally cannot pay attention to the fridge door if I'm looking at the contents of fridge or don't see screen door closing on me while carrying something in from outside. Haven't been cooking much but the one time I tried I burned green beans in the pan. It makes me sleep 16h/day. If I get up before 2pm I can't trust myself to drive. 2 close calls were enough. Social anxiety is worse than before. Only 37.5 MG!! Need a change"

gottashare4u (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

For Depression "I have been on Effexor for over 5 years now and I cannot imagine life without it. I was crying all the time for no reason....my dr. Put me on 75 mg a day and it made me extremely anxious. He then upped it to 150 mg per day and I have no side effects and function great! The only side effect I have noticed is: if I forget to take it I start to feel dizzy after a few hours and by night am crying."

Bonfire Blast September 1, 2016

For Anxiety "I was put on 150 mg daily of Effexor after having a mental breakdown brought on by stress and severe insomnia. I did not find the medication helped at all other then to cause weight gain. Worst of all, I experienced horrific withdrawal symptoms coming off it. I started to wean off it in May, reducing the dose to 75mg/day. I halved it to 37.5mg a month ago and my Dr said I would be good to stop it after two weeks. Within 24 hours of taking my last pill I experienced dizziness, nausea, insomnia, and brain zaps. I could barely function. Turns out the 'half-life' of Effexor is one of the shortest out there. I had to take a short 2 week course of 10 mg Prozac (much longer short life) to come off Effexor. Horrible!!"

ByGrace2016 August 31, 2016

For Anxiety "This may be an isolated incident, but I only took this medication for 6 weeks and had horrible memory loss. I was unaware that there is a 44% chance of memory loss with this medication. I am trying to work my way back to my old self, who used to have a photographic memory. I highly suggest if you have severe anxiety like I do, do not take this medication."

X August 29, 2016

For Anxiety "I have tried zoloft and cymbalta. All equally effective in my anxiety level but I find effexor has been the best. While I still don't have a ton of energy, I was a zombie on the other two. My libido is back to normal and I'm not hungry 24/7. Zoloft would be my second choice, except I needed to nap everyday and I was always hungry. Cymbalta was very difficult to get off of and I was also very tired. Negative effects of effexor include insomnia - i have urges where i HAVE to get up- but usually melatonin and reading, and NO electronics before bed help that (or xanax as needed.) I also sweat a lot more on it. But having more energy and more libido make it worth it. I have to take a beta blocker because I speak infront of people."

Social phobia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2016

For Depression "I started on the lowest dose about a year ago, I was use to taking my meds at night. Seeing I take 2 different meds for neuropathy, its just easier to remember to take all meds before bed. Well Effexor literally had me up for 2 days straight, so I contacted my doctor who said to start taking it in the morning. I am now on 225mg every morning, and am doing better. I do take it for depression, & anxiety which I have fought with since I was a teen. Effexor is the only one that has truly help, and I haven't giving up on."

Mjackson1981 August 23, 2016

For Anxiety "I have taken Effexor for twenty-five years. I take 75 milligrams at night. I sleep like a baby even though I am 70 and most women my age have some sleep issues. I actually was diagnosed with adult ADD and prescribed the medication for that. I also had anxiety, a hair trigger anger problem, and no social filter. My psychciatrist didn't tell me all that, just that I had ADD. I could accept meds for that. The Effexor started to work within a week and I would not be without it. I like myself a lot better today than before Effexor."

Hudit (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I just wanted to let you all know my current situation in regards to this medication. I have taken Effexor XR for 12-13 years. The overall results have been good. I just wanted to share this experience. I had a MIR for chronic abdominal pain 18 months ago. The MIR discovered a shadowing on my lungs. This shadow was caused by the Effexor XR. This shadow is what we experience while on this medication as a shortness of breath. I did furthur research and the Effexor XR does contribute to lung conditions that cause shortness of breath and difficulity in breathing while exerting yourself. I have undergone several MRI's showing different levels of this lung shadow. I am currently seeking other treatments for my depression."

Concerned Ellen August 17, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Did not help me, and I gained weight."

LolliH August 17, 2016

For Panic Disorder "MY EXPERIENCE with Effexor XR vs Prozac 1) EXR eliminates ALL PANIC ATTACKS 2) Prozac eliminates ALL OBSESSIVE THINKING 3) Prozac made me sleep like a fat cat even tho I RARELY ate, and I gained a ton of weight when I was only 106 lbs to start. 4) EXR did not cause me weight gain (or loss) however it made me very irritable and I caught myself clenching my jaw all day, however had a lot more energy than Prozac. 5) BOTH meds I used over 12 weeks to make a fair comparison. 6) I saw a bio-identical hormones therapist to see what's going on. No clear cut answers. So here is my thought. You're a normal person being a normal life with a normal energy level. You take Prozac and Wham! You're sleeping 10 hours a day............................."

SouthernSummer August 15, 2016

For Anxiety "I took this pill one day and that was all I needed to, I took it at 5:30 pm and was fine, until I wanted to sleep. I tossed and turned all night, my heart racing, I was literally so tired but my mind just would not shut down. Those things they call brain zaps are terrifying, DO NOT TAKE THIS."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

For Anxiety "So here is my experience with Effexor, I hope it helps you make an informed decision. I started taking it two months ago as a change to the Citalopram I have been on for over 5 years. I suffer from anxiety. The first three weeks, improvement in my mood, better temper control also. Week three, the insomnia kicked in and strange urges to HAVE to get up and move around. Week four, Serious shortness of breath on exertion, ringing ears, lip numbness and malaise. Turns out I was allergic to it! Doc tool me off it, immediately, then the withdraw began. OH my G*#. The worst experience of my life. Paranoia, hallucinations, panic attacks (my first ever), breathing trouble, the list goes on. If you research the withdraw, it's not worth it!"

Mil-fire guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2016

For Depression "I experienced a very low libido, very few erections, and dry orgasms."

Edward Barker (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

For Depression "Didn't find it a whole lot different from SSRIs other than a couple weeks of jitters. Starts off with a contented, floaty feeling and then after a month subsides to having a minor, yet meaningful effect in helping me recover from recurrent depressive episodes. It helps, but only marginally. The withdrawal effects I've experienced going cold turkey off it numerous times are strange. A couple months of severe flu-like symptoms and I'll cry very easily over anything even remotely sad. Also causes me to start rapid-cycling between euphoria, mixed and extreme depression. Also lasts a couple months. Going off of it abruptly is quite terrifying. I recommend titrating off it."

Kyle BC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016