User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Postpartum Depression 11 reviews 7 medications

6.7
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 405 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Panic Disorder "I have been taking Effexor for three years now and I've had good luck with it. I take 150 mg per day. I have panic disorder and depression and Effexor has been a godsend. I haven't had a panic attack since I started it 3 years ago. The only downside is if you miss a dose you really feel it."

Verniece (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "This med was given to me to replace lexapro and klonipin I took the med as directed and had the worst week of my life. The vivid dreams caused me to believe my sister and friends we're sneaking around trying to take my house or shooting me and burning it down it was so real to me. The tremors were uncontrollable I didn't know what day it was, I was living a nightmare. I'm 55 with two adult children I couldn't drive walk work it made me a zombie. I wouldn't give this med to my worst enemy. Every side effect I had"

Veniceboy January 13, 2017

For Anxiety "If you want to live life on a drug, this worked! But beware for when you come off! Best bet is to supplement naturally. Your body is lacking something that you can get in a better-for-you form. Withdrawal symptoms are terrible!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 12, 2017

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Been on this Generic XR capsule 150 mg.just 4 days and have nausea, shakiness, blurry vision, insomnia, crying spells. This is awful and getting off this right away! Was on just before I started taking this was just 2 tablets, twice a day 75mg. No problems of side effects. Just wasn't working much anymore. There is a difference on side effects!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

For Depression "I used Effexor XR for depression and anxiety for almost two (2) years. Effexor has terrible anxiety and nausea first several days. I started 37.5 with .5 Clonazepam in the morning and before night, then upped to 75mg. Clonazepam was removed once my sleep was restored. Great Drug gave me life and energy. Side effects lowered erection, sex drive and orgasm. Kept me going well, gave much more energy comparing to Lexapro. Getting off after 2 years was not a problem. I was slowly reducing dose each 2-3 weeks."

Osg January 6, 2017

For Anxiety "On Effexor for 14 years. 150 milligrams daily of the IR not the XR so I was taking 75mg 2 times per day. In retrospect, the medicine worked for me for about a year and the other 13 were just maintenance years. I also found since titrating from 150mg down to 9.75 mg that I feel human again. Effexor solved zero problems for me and it simply numbed me to feeling strong emotion. I also dropped 36 pounds since coming off of this medicine and feel a heck of a lot better. I have been titrating since July of 2015 and my last titration to zero will be in 2 weeks. As stated before, this stuff doesn't solve problems, it just numbs human emotion. Me, like many other folks need to learn how to accept our emotions. The answer isn't always a drug"

Eagles16 (taken for 10 years or more) January 5, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "If my comment helps anyone not to take this drug Effexor then I will have helped many people. I have been on and off Effexor for 10 years I'm currently off Effexor I weaned myself over 6 months. I have not read any where and I have done a lot of research that anyone has written if they have successfully stayed of this drug for more than 12 months. So hear I am to tell you it's been 9 months and once the side effect of the brain buzzes nauseous aching bones itchiness have gone away Life does begin to feel better I caught myself laughing and not feeling it was fake and crying at Tv shows Effexor gives you a fake feeling of happiness/sadness but after being on it for to long you just feel numb I believe this is why people end up wanting to come off it cause you have no emotion that and the amount of weight you will gain. 9 months and I'm probably back to where I began in needing this medication but I am trying everything I possibly can to stay of it This includes: Free hypnosis apps Free mediation apps Self help quotes Vitamin b12 Iron tablets The biggest one is when I mentally feel myself thinking negative I tell myself to stop and think of my daughters smiling face I'm not cured I'm far from it but I will never take this drug again I was worse with it than without it If I help one person not to take this drug the I will be a better person good luck"

Mulloz (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2017

For Anxiety "I have been taking Effexor on and off for the past 10 years. There is no better medicine for my anxiety than Effexor. The trick with Effexor XR is that you need to know exactly how to take it and not to take more than what you really need. I am now on a steady 37.5mg (minimum dose) and it works just fine. My doctor tells me that that low dose is hardly therapeutic but it works just fine for me. Of course I need to practice many anxiety relief techniques, especially the ones that help get you back to sleep, but overall, Effexor XR at 37.5 mg each morning takes the severe edge off my condition, I do the rest. It's a good mix."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 3, 2017

For Anxiety "I've suffered from severe panic disorder since I was 10. I am 45 now. I was on 200mg of Zoloft for 18 years. It took away my anxiety, but also took away any motivation. I was a zombie for all of those years and slept all the time. My new Dr. suggested switching to Effexor. I was afraid that it wouldn't work and my panic would come back. I was so wrong. After a week on 37.5 mg, my energy was back and anxiety still gone. I'm on 75mg. I can't believe I stayed on Zoloft so long! I can think and do things again! I don't sleep all the time. Everyone reacts differently. If this med doesn't work for you, I'm sure there is one that will. Wish I would've switched sooner. No side effects at all!"

What's anxiety? (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2016

For Anxiety "Was on this med for 5 years. Worked fine but not great. Stopped the panic attacks and gave me relief of every day nervousness that I was experiencing. Took months for the side effects to diminish when I first started taking it. What did not leave - insomnia, night sweats, lack of sex drive and poor orgasms (or no orgasms at all)."

B123456 December 27, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I tried Effexor for 4 weeks and it really made my life a living hell. I got more and more and more anxiety and after 4 weeks, I just couldn't take it further because of the side effects. But the worst part was the week after I stopped taking effexor. It was an insane depression. I"

NorwegianMan (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016

For Anxiety "I have had terrible anxiety driven depression my entire life. Effexor is an amazing medication. I waited until I was in my late 30's to do something about my anxiety/depression because of the stigma and fear of taking anything that might make me go crazy (the anxiety talking). I was a fool to wait so long. None of my fears materialized. As soon as I started the medication I began to feel better and better. I was also prescribed Kolozopin to act as a bridge to get through the anxiety until everything began to work and fall into place. Do NOTe wait hoping things will pass! I was convinced I was the worst case scenario and I got better. Just do it and get treated"

RichGB55 December 15, 2016

For Anxiety "Just an FYI. Not all anxiety medications work for everyone. This one works amazingly for me but works horribly for a good friend of mine. She took a test to determine what medication was best for her and was able to find the best match. If you are on a medication that isn't working don't give up hope, ask to do the test and try something until you find one that works for you. If your doctor isn't accommodating look for another one. Cheers."

feeling Way better December 7, 2016

For Anxiety "I have been taking Effexor XR for about 12 years now. I have spent my life fighting debilitating anxiety and depression. I would have panic attacks, horrible downward spiraling thoughts, extreme negativity, physical symptoms such as shaking, and could even lose touch with reality in severe episodes of depression. No amount of behavioral therapy and monitoring of a diet, exercise, or treatment plan would make a dent in my anxiety. Within weeks of taking Effexor XR, I finally had a chance to understand what it is like to live without terrible anxiety. I haven't really experienced any negative side effects, except perhaps hot flashes and night sweats. Life is finally manageable. I am thankful for every day I have, now, thanks to Effexor."

Nanci G December 3, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Never knew how powerful this drug is until I tried to replace it with Cymbalta. Within 2 days of switching, my anxiety was sky high and my depression was so severe that I literally was suicidal. Went back on it and these symptoms subsided quickly. By no means this is the perfect drug but it seems to be a bit better than others. I wish it would control anxiety better. I have to take lorazepam to control anxiety fully."

sadrin (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

For Anxiety "I have major depression....was taking Prozac 40 mg a day and it just stopped working for me. I have started Effexor XR 150 mg twice a day with some sleeping pills at night....In such a short amount of time I feel so much better! Life changing better! Depression is horrible and all consuming and pray that every person trying to get help does....and at least for me I have found stimulants of any kind are not good....because the crash or comedown is more than I can handle with my underlying depression."

Invu4uraqt December 1, 2016

For Anxiety "I highly suggest people not try this medication. I was only on it for 8 weeks and had horrible memory problems that I am still working through. This medication has caused me to be out of work for going on 7 months now. The doctors keep telling me it not this medication, but I know it is since this is the only anxiety med I took that caused memory problems. The prescribing doctor made no mention of memory loss as a side effect. I am on a special diet now to stimulate my memory, along with going to therapy to get my memory back. Scariest time of my life. I feel like a zombie right now."

X (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

For Depression "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder with depression and anxiety in 2001 at the age of 34...it took a couple of years for my psychiatrist to find the right combination of drug therapy that would work for me.....I take 40mg of prozac daily all year...seasonally in the fall and winter effexor xr is added to stabelize my depression..starting with 37.5mg and titrated up to 75mg twice a day until spring gets close and like all creatures I am ready to enjoy the sunshine again and it is titrated back down over 3 weeks and stopped ...this has worked very well for me along with a low dose of xanax bid prn..."

trippsnannie November 26, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started to take this med one week ago for my gad. Im feeling a bit "lighter" in the head but i also have a bit more anxiety and i feel dizzy. I've read that this is totally normal, and i have been an benzo addict so i had EXTREME anxiety when i was in rehab getting off that stuff. Now my life is looking brighter, and I have a lot of faith in this med. Just went from 37mg to 75mg once a day. I'm looking forward to share my experience here in one month :)"

NorwegianMan (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

For Depression "I was one Effexor for almost 4 weeks to treat dissociation/derealization that was caused from too high of dosages of Zoloft and Celexa. I went from 12.5mg twice a day to 37.5mg twice a day over 3 weeks. I had horrible headaches and blurry vision the entire time. By the third week, the dissociation was MOSTLY gone, but then I was having random panic episodes where I thought I was losing my mind and just didn't want to live anymore. The psychiatrist thought the extended release would ease that symptom, and it made it worse. I went from not wanting to live with dissociation, to not wanting to live at all. I've been tapering off over the past few days, and I was awaken at 5am this morning with HORRIBLE anxiety and suicidal thoughts, and my husband tried calming me down but I barely felt like I knew or recognized him. Both my psychologist and the head of psychiatry at Mayo Clinic agreed I need to stop taking it immediately (take 1/2 of 25mg if I experience "brain zaps" or any horrible side effects) but this medication is NOT for me, and they're thinking no SSRI or SSNI chemically reacts well with me after trying 3 and having worse side effects than what I was taking it for. I haven't been out to eat with my husband in 4 months. Everything in the world now looks different, and I still have anxiety and blurry vision, and as this medication leaves my system in the next few days, I pray my mind will get back to the way it was 4 months ago. Thank you and I hope everyone going through anything horrible with Effexor finds relief soon."

KE1991 (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

For Panic Disorder "Had panic attacks and social anxiety starting in adolescence. Powered through until postpartum depression after my second child and began having severe mood swings, irritability and panic attacks (dizzy spells, heart racing, fainting, chest pain) even when I wasn't feeling stress. Started Effexor on 37.5mg and had almost immediate success (within a week). Felt a little hyper and would feel like I was getting a low jolt of electricity through my legs, but otherwise fine. Gained a bit of weight but I think that's only because I was finally able to eat without stomach pain. Increased to 70mg after two months when panic attacks began again, love this drug! Finally have a normal life."

jaydeebee November 10, 2016

For Depression "I experienced increasing blood pressure with increasing dosage, an immediate and drastic decreased libido compared with being on Zoloft, weight gain increased with increasing dosage, and worst of all was almost dying when I decreased the dose. I had dizzy spells with shortness of breath after weaning from 225mg down to 150mg despite gradual dose reduction. Once I got to approximately 187.5mg over the course of two weeks I read recommendations to cut 37.5mg at a time and went to 150mg. I experienced near syncope multiple times, heart rhythm abnormalities with pulse varying at rest from 67 to 105, and shortness of breath. pulse oximeter indicated drop to 85% sats and no pulse."

Frayed (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Started on Zydus Pharm generic Venlafaxine ER 37.5 mg for 1 week, then on to 75mg. Been about 6 weeks on medication. First 3 days I felt amazing, immediate relief of anxiety. After that the side effects were very difficult. Everything in me told me this was not the right medication for me, constant mood swings, anxiety, insomnia. I stuck through after reading positive reviews hoping when side effects cleared up, it would work well for me based on first few days experience. Side effects disappeared suddenly right on the 3 week mark, and medication really started to work. After reading reviews on generic vs. brand name, switched to name brand. Name brand definitely feels cleaner and more effective. Generic side effects went away immediately."

Anxiety Review (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2016

For Depression "Effexor XR saved my life! I had severe clinical depression for one year, and my doctor tried 8 different antidepressants on me, all to no avail. I sought the help of a psychopharmacologist in Palo Alto, Ca. He met with me for 90 minutes, did an evaluation, and prescribed Effexor XR for me. He stairstepped me up to 300mg/day within 12 days, and within 2 weeks I felt like my old self again. It felt miraculous. I may be on it for the rest of my life, but I don't mind one bit. I am enjoying life again!"

Fognurse November 6, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "My doctor put me on 37.5 mg regular (generic brand) for about 2 weeks and I was so tired and still depressed. So she upped my dosage to 75 mg XR. And after 2 days my anxiety was out of control and depressed so I had be watched 24/7. So I finally got off it after I switched backed to 37.5 before going cold turkey. I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms. Good luck to anyone on this medication."

Lindsaay (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016