User Reviews for Effexor XR

Vulvodynia

1 review 9 medications
Summary of Effexor XR reviews 7.3 568 reviews

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Depression "Horrible drug. My wife encouraged me to stay on it for 7 days (wanted to quit after 4 days). For 7 days felt like I was in the throes of a monster panic attack. Probably slept a total of 15 hours all week."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2018

For Panic Disorder "Been on this drug previously for about half of a year and it didn't work. I became manic and had thoughts of suicide after I was increased to 225mg. That first time I was introduced with a starting dose of 37.5mg for a week and then upped to 75mg and had no side effects at start. My new doctor wanted me to try it again almost 10 years later after we tried Celexa and had no change. The doctor was out of town and another doctor prescribed a starting dose of 75mg and instructions to up to 150mg in a week. Four days after starting I started having tremors, dizziness, insomnia and nausea. 7th day I started the 150mg and started vomiting and tremors were way worse. Went back to the 75mg the next day and asked doc for a new med, he said to stick it out because the doctor who prescribed started too high. I realized I was stupid to be on it again in the first place. I quit them."

Bren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2018

For Depression "Worst med I've ever taken! I only took it for 5 days as the side effects were so bad there was no way I was going to even try and continue to see if they stopped. My body would twitch and convulse. Anytime I tried to rest or sleep I became so restless I had to get up and walk or move. Normal side effects too- dry mouth, extra edginess and anxiety....it was bad. Stay away from this one! Even two weeks later my body still twitches on its own. One time it woke me up because of how strong my legs and arms were moving."

Dgirlrun (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Anxiety "I was taking Celexa for anxiety and when that stopped working effectively after three years my doctor put my on Effexor. I cannot express enough how much I disliked this drug. I took it at a high dose for a while and decided to cut the dose in half because I just felt “numb”. And then I crashed. I felt so many emotions in one day, I felt like a different person. All of my personal relationships were failing because I was just pushing people away. I’ve never felt depression before and I constantly felt alone in the dark with no light in sight. I honestly had no care in the world if I lived or died. So I stopped all together. I would rather feel my old anxiety than any of the negative emotions I felt on Effexor. By day three with no meds I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. I’m now at a week clean and I’m starting to feel like me again. I will never touch this medication again."

Tori September 27, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I was on citalopram and propranolol after a breakdown as I couldn't go out for 6 months. Totally given up on myself. Citalopram helped although I gained weight but I was always tired everything was an effort. Another few breakdowns and couldn't walk over a bridge. I asked doc to change. He gave me venlaflaxine 37.5mg right away felt better. My doc has wanted me to go up higher dosage but a must say am so happy got a new job going on holidays and just happy happy. I split the pill half morning half about one in the afternoon and I'll stick to that dose but if I need to go higher I will cause a will never want to feel like lifes over again. I've so much energy now and always looking to the future. x"

Fatburd (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2018

For Depression "I've been taking Effexor for 12 days now, my doctor told me to take it at night because it may cause drowsiness, but I have had the opposite effect. At night I can't sleep, and I'm very fidgety and anxious. I know this is a side effect, I'm not 100% sure if it's caused by the drug but I never had this issue before. I may start taking it in the morning if it persists. All in all, I feel okay though through the day. Although I missed a dose yesterday and had to take it almost 20 hours later and I felt instantly a feeling of dread and sadness wash over me. As if I had been holding it in unknowingly for 4 days."

Anonymous September 21, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I was afraid to start this medication thanks to all the negative reviews. I think people only come on here to complain so I thought I would come to say I am very happy with this medication I've been on it for over a year and my life has changed so much. I lost all the weight I gained on celexa and also am more involved in life. I look forward to things now. Yeah if you forgot your dose you feel it. But seriously if I wasn't taking this I'd be still having panic and feeling crappy. I'm not worried about withdrawal. Live your life. I got mine back."

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My doctor diagnosed me with Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and prescribed me venlafaxine (specifically Effexor XR). I found it strange, but it kinda "worked". I feel much less anxious and depressed; on the other hand, I felt neither more concentrated nor focused on tasks."

CompleteUnknown (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2018

For Depression "This drug got me through an extreme time in my life. I was on it over 2 years and wanted to wean down. The withdrawal was sooo terrible that I was ill. Light headed dizzy nauseous could not function. Just switched to paxil and I'm hopeful. I don't want to be forever medicated."

Kk (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 18, 2018

For Depression "Son was taking Effexor (150mg) for depression). Things looked promising for about 2 weeks. Then his aggression went through the roof. He started punching himself in the face and gave himself a black eye. He had never done anything like this before (or since). We ultimately had to hospitalize him when he quit cold turkey. Coming off of it was terrible too (he pretty much did not eat that week) but after a couple of weeks he was back to his old (depressed) self. I know it may work for others but it really did not work for him."

midwestern dad (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2018

For Anxiety "I been on this medicine for two days due to peri menopause which is causing me to have blackout panic attacks. Dr started me on 75mg once a day. The second (no joke) I took this medication I was having a panic attack. It had almost an instant effect. The first day I was a bit dizzy and had diarrhea. Woke up in the middle of the night having hot flashes. But no anxiety what so ever. Second day I took it at the exact same time. Not one single side effect. This drug is a life saver and changer. I also have ADHD and been on Adderal XR 15mg for 18 years. I was worried about how these two pills would work together. All I can say is WOW!! Effexor XR and Adderal Xr together couldn't be a better combo. I'm a completely new person. I wake up and take my Adderall and then about dinner time I take Effexor. I am now calm, have no more agitation and anxiety due to the Effexor, plus I can stay focused and alert all day due to my Adderall. I couldn't feel better. These two medications work hand and hand."

Nicole4477 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "It helped a little bit with my depression but the response was not enough. My doctor added other antidepressants and a mood stabilizer but the efficacy remained at the same level. My first days on it were not easy, and I noticed a significant weight again right on the next day. It was crazy to see how much weight gain you can have on antidepressants SO QUICKLY. After 6 months, my body fat went from 4% to 18%."

gcarvalhomaciel September 11, 2018

For Anxiety "My doctor prescribed this for ongoing Anxiety, and it was HORRIBLE!! I took one 37.5mg dose at around 9:30 pm. At 2:30 am I was jolted awake from a bad dream. I never have any trouble sleeping before but I suddenly had an overwhelming feeling that I needed to get up and go somewhere. I paced around my house not understanding why I couldn't stop moving. My heart was pounding and my body felt electrified. I had this cold sensation that felt like ice water in my veins but I was sweating profusely. My mind was racing but I felt confused over what was happening. I finally woke my husband up, and he had to sit up with me for over an hour until the worst of it passed. The next morning I had nausea and felt like I had the flu, shaking and chilled. This was probably the worst I've felt in my life and although I've never done meth I imagine it feels somewhat similar to how I felt. Please beware when trying this medication for the first time!"

CA Mom of 4 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

For Anxiety "Did not do much for chronic anxiety or depression, only really felt effects when forgot to take a dose. Very drastic withdrawal was felt."

Oneocinna (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2018

For Depression "This medication has been life changing for me. My depression has vanished and my moods have stabilised . I'm a lot more pleasant person to live with, and happy to stay on this drug for the rest of my life if need be. I do have some unpleasant side effects, but happy to put up with them if it gets rid of my suicidal thoughts."

jj (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "This has worked really well for me. I'd recommend it but I think with any of these type of drugs, everybody is different. There's some trial and error involved. Took about 2 years and a trip to a psyche ward before I found the right medication. I take this, busiprone, and remeron and it works for me. My only advice is if you take effexor, don't ever run out of it. I went 5 days without it and it's a pretty freaky withdrawal."

Some guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2018

For Depression "I was basically a zombie for over a year. I could not stand to be awake, I lost my job and couldn’t handle my college courses at school. I couldn’t leave my room most days and wanted to die most of the time because of it. Getting off the drug was a long hard road because I was on such a high dose too. I would never wish upon anyone what I went through."

Anon (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2018

For Depression "Yeah Effexor is all great and all until you want to come off of it then the withdrawals literally feel like you’re dying. I have been slowly coming off of it for a couple of months and everyday is a struggle because the withdrawals are so severe. This shocked me because I was only on this stuff for like 8 months. If you went on it just expect to stay on it for life because getting off of it is pure torture!!!"

... (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 21, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "STAY AWAY! RUN! For the years I was on this I was told by this new psychiatrist that I had schizophrenia, when my other psychiatrist had diagnosed me with major depression which is what I have. I was just going through a lot but effexor made me hear voices, and gave me the worst side effects. I couldn't even walk and I was so scared it was the most traumatic experience in my life. I am still trying to get back to normal I feel very disconnected."

Eyeball August 17, 2018

For Depression "This medicine was GREAT while you took it but I was unfortunately very forgetful and if I missed a dose at all I’d be horrifically depressed. I switched back to another medicine (SSRI) because if by chance I missed a dose it wouldn’t ruin my life. If you’re pretty good at taking medicine this might be a great option but stay clear if you’re forgetful."

Am (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I switched to this from Prozac after trying many different SSRIs. Some didn't do anything, some helped quite a bit. Effexor XR being an SNRI made a world of difference compared to Prozac. At first I did get some mild headaches and was a little jittery, but once I got used to it after a few weeks the side-effects abated. Just stick with it and don't let the side-effects at first deter you."

Breezy (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

For Depression "It saved my life!! I've been on 150mg XR for 20 plus years and I can not find words to adequately describe the benefits of this medication. It's been so long, I really don't remember if I suffered any ill side effects when I first started or not. I will say that I had the bright idea several years ago to stop taking it.. cause I thought it may help me loose weight. WITHDRAWAL WAS HORRENDOUS and I decided weight gain or not, I was taking it. Quit eating like a pig, started walking, kept taking Effexor, lost my extra weight and wasn't depressed. I highly recommend this - try it. The pros far out weigh the cons in my book."

MEL (taken for 10 years or more) August 2, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Miracle Drug! I advise everyone to STICK to it through the first week. For me personally, the first week was AWFUL. Honestly terrible. I was nauseous, disorientated, had short term memory loss - I felt high/disconnected to reality the first couple of days. After one week I woke up and was completely fine. I felt like my old normal self (without anxiety/depression). Now I fell very happy, motivated, calm and most importantly STABLE! No more mood swings, irritability; as soon as something dark creeps into my mind, I can dismiss it in a moment. I've been on Venlafaxine XR for two months (150mg now) and I feel fantastic. I'm so glad I gave it a go. Although it was my last resort, it was my best resort. I used to be a professional athlete, been vegan for a while, I would meditate, do yoga and non of that would help AT ALL with my condition. Now, these actions are starting to pay off with the help of this drug. Lots of love to everyone going through hard times, hope my review helps you <3"

lindsieloo August 1, 2018

For Postpartum Depression "Been taken this mediation bout 3 months start on 75mg now on 150mg I'm very stressed my depression is not under control I'm worse in fact I've no energy I'm always sleepy, I've started to shake and have hot sweats. I don't think this for me"

Daisey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2018

For Depression "Effexor is a terrible drug. Choose a different antidepressant or anxiety drug. When you stop taking this drug it will be a terrible experience even if you go off slowly. It will take a long time to feel good. PLEASE don't take this."

NYNYgirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...