User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Postpartum Depression 11 reviews 7 medications

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 27 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 344 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Depression "Didn't find it a whole lot different from SSRIs other than a couple weeks of jitters. Starts off with a contented, floaty feeling and then after a month subsides to having a minor, yet meaningful effect in helping me recover from recurrent depressive episodes. It helps, but only marginally. The withdrawal effects I've experienced going cold turkey off it numerous times are strange. A couple months of severe flu-like symptoms and I'll cry very easily over anything even remotely sad. Also causes me to start rapid-cycling between euphoria, mixed and extreme depression. Also lasts a couple months. Going off of it abruptly is quite terrifying. I recommend titrating off it."

Kyle BC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've started taking Effexor XR recently at the lowest dose 37.5mg and the first day you get very nauseous even if you do eat beforehand, I felt so foggy. After a few days the side effects subsided so I upped my dosage to 75mg and the same thing happened. So I'd recommend when starting this medication you also have an anti nausea medication with it otherwise you'll have a few crappy days. This medication has benefited me the most out of all the others I tried because it brought back my focus."

major depression (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2016

For Anxiety "I started taking velaflaxine (Effexor) about 2 1/2 weeks ago I started on half of a 75 mg pill and now have moved up to a full pill. At first you experience some side effects like loss of appetite, fast heart beat, hot flashes and a little numbness down below. But everyone is different and everyone reacts differently. After almost three weeks of taking it I already feel relief. My anxiety is getting better and better, and I sleep so much better at night cause I can actually relax for once! I'm looking forward to seeing how much better I feel after two months of taking it. If you are willing to pressure through the rough side effects then the benefits are so worth it!"

Cmv2550 July 19, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on Effexor xr for 2 weeks and it's great. I had been on Zoloft before and it pooped out on me so my doc switched me to Effexor xr and after 2 days I started feeling good again. I take 37.5 mg per day. I come back to write here because I wanna give back to this forum and give hope for anybody that suffer from this like me. keep to try the med that suit for you. best wish!"

Asian July 8, 2016

For Panic Disorder "Prior to starting this medication I couldn't drive in the car by myself anymore, I could barely go into the convenient store by myself without having a panic attack. After searching for a doctor that could help me I landed the best psychiatrist who prescribed me Effexor. I started with a low dose and was also taken Ativan as a crutch to get through until the Effexor worked. Before starting this I swore that I would never regain control of my life. Effexor change my life and saved me from the helplessness that I felt. I am now off the Ativan and have not needed any sense stopping it. There is freedom beyond panic and anxiety. This may not work for everybody but it worked for me."

No longer hopeless (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2016

For Depression "Effexor XR really has been working wonders on my life. It has relieved me of a lot of my depression while still giving me my energy, unlike SSRIs. If weight gain is a problem for you and you have depression, definitely try an SNRI first. As you may or may not know, Wellbutrin is another antidepressant that is supposed to encourage weight loss while relieving depression. It affects norepinephrine and dopamine. I tried Wellbutrin awhile ago, and failed miserably on it due to the anxiety it brought on. Therefore, I was hesitant at first because I heard that Effexor XR affects norepinephrine as well. However, it has been completely the opposite. I have gone from constantly laying in bed all day long to wanting to get up and exercise."

Vin992211 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

For Depression "I wouldn't recommend this medication to my worst enemy. Although it seemed to work in a mild sense for my anxiety, when I missed even one dose, I paid dire consequences. I would wake up the next day dizzy, unable to see straight, started experiencing migraines, and would sweat day and night. I wish that my healthcare provider would have warned me of the detoxes before I accepted this treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

For Anxiety "Brilliant"

Missymoo 64 June 21, 2016

For Depression "Made depression worst ,was not effective even at 150 mg. I got an understanding of why people become alcoholics or drug abusers on Effexor/Venlafaxine. I would lay in bed all day waiting for life to pass by. I never had feelings of despair so severe. If I mised a dose or waited for an hour later to take Effexor I had an intense "Rush". I would pace around like on cocaine or speed. You cannot stop taking this medication. I am still trying to get off it! When I reduced my dose I had a drunk effect with nausea I just felt so awful. I consider this to be a drug that shoudnt be prescribed. Celexa and zoloft "robot drug"worked well on me for anxiety and depression but I do NOT recommend this medication. Going back to Elavil"

ladybug33 June 20, 2016

For Depression "I've been taking Effexor for about six months. within the first month I was up to 150mg. Since then I no longer have depression. I do have some moments of depression but not days/weeks. I do not have any panic attacks anymore! I'm not nearly as nervous as I was before Effexor. HOWEVER, my first week on Effexor was hell. I was extremely anxious, teeth chattering, night sweats, buzzing headache. and after months on Effexor if I miss one dose I get brain zaps. I'm also having vivid dreams. good dreams and bad ones. THIS MEDICINE TAKES TIME"

blondielocks June 18, 2016

For Depression "primary care doctor started me on effexor xr 75, increased to 150 after 1 month. I was still very depressed and went to a psychitrist, crying at the first visit. she said it was melancholic and immediately doubled the dose to 300/day. It worked very well at the high dose, which I took for 4 years. it was more effective and continued to be the whole 4 years. best of all i had tried (paxil, celexa, lexapro, wellbutrin). i seemed to be in remission, we began tapering down. went to 150 for 1 month, then 75 for 1 month then stopped. i got the foggy feeling and "brain zaps" but a temporary increase in my klonopin dose for a week and i felt fine. i should mention i went through alcohol and opiate withdrawal before, so this seemed not that bad."

ewh75 June 17, 2016

For Depression "Took first dose of 75mg before bed. Fell asleep at 1030 and slept well, actually. Woke up at 530 with eyes wide open as if i just had 10 espressos. It's now 630 and I don't have to be out of bed until 7. Can't sleep anymore. Feeling jittery with jaw clenching and teeth chattering when I open my mouth a little. Hands are sweating. I feel a little emotionally numb. Slight ringing in ears and slight headache with slight nausea. I feel peaceful but dull. Not sure if I will take again."

Lylalola84 June 1, 2016

For Depression "I have been on effexor xr for 11 years now and it works wonderfully for me. The only side effect was dry mouth and constipation. It.s not for every patient. Always contact your doctor if your symptoms worsen."

depression/free May 28, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking Effexor for 13 months now. Initially I was prescribed 75 mg while hospitalized at an inpatient psychiatric facility but that was increased to 150 mg by the time I was discharged. Never in my life have I felt this way - normal!! My crying spells, anhedonia, suicidal ideations, psychosis... it's all gone gone gone! This medication has saved my life. I am so happy to take my meds every morning."

NurseSlacky (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been taking venlafaxine 150mg xr for nearly 3 years along with an antipsychotic to treat bipolar 2. Having tried all kinds of anti depressants this is the one that's worked for me. The down side is the withdrawal symptoms should you miss a dose but these go away as soon as you take it again. Dizzy spells/feeling drunk is the only way I can describe them. It has a short half life of 7 hrs which indicates that they have these symptoms. I've had no side effects & would recommend venlafaxine over other antidepressants inc citelopram & mirtazipine."

Pollyp82 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I've been on this for 9 yrs, i take 150mg 3 times a day, i've missed sometimes up to 2 doses with no side effects. i would be dead today if it weren't for this pill, that's the god's honest truth. Only side effect I can think of is I've gained a few pounds. Love Love this medication"

BrittMiller (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 24, 2016

For Depression "I suffered depression and anxiety at a very difficult time in my life 5 years ago and have been on efexor 75mg since then... it took the edge off highly stressful situations and helped me to cope in a calm and positive way :) Life has been good since then, even though family problems have endured (thankfully to a lesser extent)... side effect of nausea was to be expected during first few weeks but after that no problems at all... effexor has been a wonder for me... :):):)"

pealove May 23, 2016

For Anxiety "I had been struggling with OCD and anxiety and rage issues for a very long time. I decided to get help after my daughter was born. I was put on a myriad of different pills until Effexor. It calmed me down, and my OCD is almost non-existent. But miss a dose and you will be sick like you've never felt before! Think of the worst flu you ever had...it's kinda like that but worse. And all the anxiety comes back in full force. It has really helped me to function, but I would never have gotten on it if I knew how bad it was to get off it. Try everything else before taking this. It will help but at what cost?"

Ndec May 18, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Diagnosis: a Chronic Clinical Depressive with a 40 year history who does not react to meds in a typical manner. After 6 months of juggling meds weekly at the clinic, finally got relief with a daily dose of 150 mg Effexor XR. Have not had Any episode of Depression since 2003. The side effects are more than tolerable as a tradeoff to be the happiest people on this planet instead of in perpetual hell."

iamerletheperle (taken for 10 years or more) May 15, 2016

For Postpartum Depression "after the birth of my second child and moving states away due to husbands job change I had HORRIBLE anxiety, what I thought was ONLY anxiety. I wouldn't leave the house for weeks on end. Finally 6 months later my husband and I agreed that I needed to seek help, being on medication was not something that I wanted, but something that I may need. At my first appointment I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. I was started in 37.5mg of Effexor and .5mg Klonopin! I'll admit! The first week ish, was hell, as it should be... For anyone to take a new medication to treat this type of issue its going to be tough. After those couple weeks I noticed a good change. Then it leveled out and I now take 75mg, this medication Is working so well!"

2ndTimeMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

For Depression "Horrific side effects and incredibly difficult to wean off of as well because of the withdrawal symptoms. When I first started taking it, I felt some relief but it didn't last very long. I'd taken Lexapro and Zoloft in the past and felt that, over time, they were no longer helpful in treating my depression which is why my doctor put me on Effexor. It took me a while to realize this medication was worsening my depression symptoms and I didn't realize it until after a botched suicide attempt. I don't recommend this medication to ANYONE for any reason. Worst of the worst as far as I'm concerned. It'll trick your brain for a little while into thinking you're improving but the depression and anxiety will come back and hit you ten times worse!"

cd87925 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

For Anxiety "Hi, my name is Jess. I've had anxiety/panic attacks and depression for over 20 years now. My anxiety was so bad I had to be homeschooled. I've taken Prozac, paxil and neither worked and had bad mood swings on paxil. My doctor suggested something newer, it was effexor. He said he has had good results with it. So I tried it, heck I would of tried anything to make my anxiety go away. I was on effexor (75mg) for 10 years and it worked for me. No side effects except being tired at first. No more anxiety/panic attacks or depression but maybe a very few short episodes. I was happy and enjoying things I was held back from for so many years. Effexor changed my life, literally. If I did miss a dose I felt tired, depressed and the "zaps.""

anxiety loves me May 9, 2016

For Anxiety "I was having bad anxiety for a couple of months. I was unable to sleep, and was pacing the floors a lot. I got on a low dose of Effexor (37.5mg), and my anxiety disappeared within a week. I did not have many side affects. I got a little sweaty the first week, and felt a little foggy. That went away quickly."

JCT62 May 7, 2016

For Anxiety "So I started Effexor XR tonight for my anxiety that I deal with and let me just say NEVER EVER AGAIN!! For two hours I felt fine, went to bed and suddenly was awaken by intense nausea so I sat up to wake my child's father(who stayed the night since we didn't know how this new med would affect me) and as soon as I sat up my stomach came up. There was no wait time. It's been five hours since I took it. And I've been up throwing up for the last 45 mins. Not taking this crap again. I would honestly rather have be dealing with a panic attack at this point rather than this I can't even blink my eyes without vomiting crap!"

Lilbit1993 May 1, 2016

For Panic Disorder "GP recommended effexor when 7 months ago when I was going through some extremely stressful life events. The seroxat I was on for GAD for the previous 17 years was no longer effective & now I had become depressed. Effexor 37.5mg worked well at first, was upped to 70mg. Benefits: Immediately made me feel less depressed (hooray - no more tears), No panic attacks at all, Able to sleep all night. Costs: Felt like a zombie, Lost my spark, Didn't feel present when talking to people (the lights were on but no-one was in), Not bothered about anything including if I upset someone; More aggressive verbally (usually very placid person), Withdrawn (usually very social person). Withdrawal if missed dose was torture. Currently tapering off it."

Nellyfant (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2016