User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Postpartum Depression 12 reviews 7 medications

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 38 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 439 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Depression "I have been tapering off Effexor for the past few weeks. I was originally prescribed 150 mg per day and the dose was too much for me. I was brought down to 112.5 and stayed on that dose for almost 2 years. My mood was greatly improved and my anxiety nearly non-existent. The downside was that I was ALWAYS tired and taking naps constantly -- most of my weekends were spent sleeping. I'd drink a few cups of coffee in the morning and I could barely keep my eyes open. I became a napper and would nap for 2-4 hours at a shot. I became extremely lazy and gained about 25 pounds due to a complete lack of energy. The side effects of missing a dose were extreme nausea and horrible headaches."

HollisKate (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "This drug is heaven. I feel no side effects whatsoever. Just 37.5mg a day keeps my depression symptoms at bay. The only minor complaint is a lower sex drive, but that is a given side-effect with antidepressants in general."

Dancer563 June 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I only took this medication for a short period of time I loved it when I was on it. Increased happiness and just overall life was better until one day as I was driving to work, I lost my peripheral vision in one eye. Luckily it came back...but it is one of the potential side effects that is not listed as it has only happened in a small amount of people. Something like 1-4% of people that take it. I need to try one of the other SNRI's. I am currently on sertraline for PPD, PTSD, and anxiety. And it's working, but not like the Effexor did."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I just started taking Effexor xr a little over a month ago. I was extremely tired the whole month (nothing would help that either, I took a 5 hour energy and fell asleep right after) and last night was my first night where I felt like myself for the first time in a few years. I am hopeful that this lasts and the exhaustion goes away. I have a cough but it's only really bad at night and have a small cough in the morning. My cycle seems a little off, I had spotting and then nothing so I'm not sure what is happening with that but I read that's a possible side effect as well."

SeaMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "This changed my life. For 20 years I have been prescribed so many things and they all seemed to make me feel crazy. After having my son it got worse and I never wanted to leave the house. I have tried exercise, natural therapies, everything but I swear the chemicals are just not right in my head. I always felt lost, like every small thing mattered too much. I started on 75mg before sitting on 150mg for a year and a half. I have been so much happier and chilled out. Not worrying all the time. I have sleep apnea too so I am not sure if it's made my sleep worse as it's already pretty bad. My mind never stops. I felt myself losing control of my life lately due to huge stress at work and small kids. 225mg has evened me out and feel good :)"

NikNak7 June 2, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I take 300 mg effexor am and 15 mg mirtazapine pm just before I go to sleep. This combination has worked very well for me and the only side effect I really have is a bit of dry mouth but that's probably exacerbated by smoking. For me, they counteract each others side effects at these dosages cause at 225mg effexor and 30mg mirtazapine I had an insatiable appetite at night time!"

Paul619 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I've been taking 75mg for a little over a month, I've seen a positive difference for sure! There are so many bad reviews on the drug and it made me worry but being on it has really changed my life in ways. My depression is so much better, I don't take as many naps as I used to, my headaches are a little better, and it's even helped me with irritable bowel syndrome. It's still hard to focus sometimes, but not bad. I don't have many side effects on 75mg -- I have crazy dreams sometimes but it's not bad! And I think I might be a bit more hungry. Although, if I miss a dose by a few hours I will definitely feel it. I start to get a migraine and have to take the med right away. This really worked for me and I hope it could help someone else!"

Bay0315 May 18, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I was prescribed 37.5 mg of Effexor (raised to 75 mg after a week) after going off Zoloft, for depression, GAD, and Panic Disorder. I took it for about 2 months and it was horrible. I had terrible insomnia and when I managed to sleep, I had night terrors that resulted in me waking up multiple times in the middle of the night sweating through my sheets. My depression became so much worse, suicidal thoughts/self-harm ideation more rampant, and I had panic attacks at least every second day, sometimes more than once a day. I had a public nervous breakdown before I finally went off it and was prescribed Escitalopram instead. The difference was like night and day. Effexor is definitely not for everyone."

AnPan (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Does anyone have a cough With taking Effexor XR? This has helped me a lot. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac and Effexor was the best. Feel more normal and have taken it since 2008. It does cause constipation. I tried going off of it once and I was back on it within 3 days. It was horrible. Does anyone have neck pain with it or maybe it's something else going on for me."

Digger49 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started Effexor XR in Nov 2016. The first week (37.5 mg) was a bit of a roller coaster for me in terms of emotions. Every day around noon I would start to feel a bit panicky and get hot/cold flashes. After about 5 days the mood swings stopped. I had a brief period where I could feel there was a difference, and then it "crashed". I upped the dose, and the same pattern repeated every 3-4 weeks, where the meds would become effective, crash, increase the dose, and repeat. After roughly 6 months of this, I have finally made it to a dosage that didn't crash (187.5 mg). I am SO grateful for this - the benefits were well worth the wait. Doing things/talking to people no longer makes me feel completely exhausted. Have patience with this drug."

Rii May 15, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Was prescribed Effexor XR 75mg in 2015 for depression. I was on it for 7 months. It helped at first, but not in a healthy way. It kinda just kept me calm and numb to my surroundings. It was almost like some type of fake permanent trance that helped me to not be able to focus for more than a couple seconds on issues. Just a constant blur, I had absolutely no feelings. Whether it be love or hate.....I had nothing. I didn't care about anything, nothing seemed to bother me. Then I started to have memory loss along with brain zaps every night before bed. I quit cold turkey because I knew I had to save myself. I now suffer with sleep paralysis and occasional brain zaps, two years later. I believe they are 2 lifetime side effects caused by this drug."

G_Mal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Lifted me out of a deep, dark depression at 450 mg/day combined with Remeron 45 mg/day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I took this pill once at 37.5mg to start my regimen. I got serotonin syndrome and was hospitalized. Steer clear from this medicine."

Tari567 April 30, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am currently on 150 mg of effexor XR. It isn't the greatest but I noticed that I don't have random crying spells anymore and my depression eased a bit."

DaynaS (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "At first I read all the reviews positive and negative and was like oh hell no!!! I would leave work early, wouldn't wan to leave the house or even go to the store. So my DR started me on 37.5 mg XR a few months ago. Only side effect was felt sick to my stomach but that went away after a while. I know people are different but WOW has it changed my life and thinking. I felt like an old me again, not worrying like a nervous nelly about things not in my head thinking about the what ifs, was staying at work and going to stores and people around me noticed the change in me. I was more up beat and less nervous. Now today I started the 75mg XR because my DR said let make you feel even more better. Hopefully this works if not I'll just go back down to 37.5mg"

Fitzy11 April 16, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "The positive: it has an almost immediate effect, from Day One there's a lift in mood. Effexor XR Also gives a feeling of energy, both mental and physical. I've also noticed a significant decrease in my social anxiety, I can talk to anyone without feeling nervous - this 'extra' effect began, again, on Day One. The negative: slight feelings of nausea with a definite decrease in appetite. I don't really enjoy my meals as much while on Effexor. I've also noticed a form of a insominia since starting - early awakenings and not being able to get back to sleep."

Billy Bones (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "It was efficient to have no anxiety. Except 2 weeks before my final exams, I"froze" = I had anxiety attacks. The big side effect was that it was extremely difficult to reach an orgasm / ejaculation + I lost more than 50 % of sex pleasure. Not good for couple life. Also I sweat A LOT during the night + big traumatizing nightmares if you forget your pills + I think I did sleep apnea + sleep paralysis. All those things at 75 mg. An other bad effect was that I became over confident / maniac. Also better to use Effexor than generics. The real brand seemed better for me"

kentum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I am taking 150 mg. I began at 75 with little effects. At 150..honestly I feel more anxious, yet medicated. I have been taking Effexor for 6 months.I believe it does more for my depression, than for anxiety. My appetite is about the same. I seem to wake up irritated, and have to take Seroquel at night to sleep. I am going to give it a few more months, then will talk to my doctor about changing it, or adding something for anxiety."

Byrdy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I've been on Effexor for about 2 years. It's changed my life completely. Before I went to rehab and before I was on it, I couldn't get out of bed for days at a time. It gives me energy and motivation! However, the withdrawal symptoms are horrific. If I miss a dose, I get severe headaches. I feel like there are fireworks going off in my head. Last year, I had to go the ER because I couldn't breathe or stop shaking after 3 weeks of cutting it cold turkey (due to an insurance error). This is definitely not the drug for people who regularly miss doses or have problems with addiction pills. It's not for everyone, but works great for me."

jaydemarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I'm taking 75 mg Effexor XR and my life is changing for the better. I no longer feel stress when I'm around people. Socializing is not such an ordeal anymore. My social anxiety started when I was 12. Wish Effexor was around back then. Hope Effexor helps everyone. First 10 days are not easy: anxiety , teeth clenching , nausea and diarrhea.. hang in there and give it time to work."

Shari lee March 11, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "Average-- not satisfied -- symptoms continue"

appy 53 March 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am sure Effexor has helped many people over the years. I was one of the first patients to take Prozac I was given ever increasing doses as my depression increased. At first, I was HEALED! I wound up in hospital with psychotic break, due to SSRI's. Effexor was given to me a few years later ( Doctors still did not correlate medication as possible issue ) and again I got more depressed. At this point I was taking a bi-polar med Lithium. The Dr. abruptly stopped Effexor from a high dose., and I do not remember the next month. I was on the payphone in a psych- ward talking to my Mom and came back. The nurses said I do not want to know what happened. I take my meds everyday, at the same time, see my Dr. every 3 months, and am well."

Experimental One (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Postpartum Depression "At 3 months post partum I started experiencing slight symptoms of PPD. I handled it and worked myself through it, thought I had it under control until I found myself uncontrollably crying, panic attacks, insomnia, excessive anger, lots of feelings of self worthlessness. My Dr first proscribed me Zoloft at 5 months post partum, for 3 weeks I had no luck. She then switched me to Effexor xr 37.5mg, as they say, the "light bulb" came back on after 2 weeks. I have had very bad anxiety since I was 14, I am now currently taking Effexor xr 75mg daily and am at 7 months post partum. Depression, the horrible self feelings I experienced were not anything I have ever felt with prior to this experience. Effexor changed my life!"

I just wasn't me for a while (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I started off with 75mg and have stayed on it ever since because I found no reason to change it. The first day I could feel this medication working, it was a little much at first but nothing I couldn't handle. But I soon noticed that it took all my emotions away and made me dull to everything going on around me and in my life. Most don't like that but I really do, I feel as if I have no cares in the world at all. Nothing goes through my head at all, its like magic. It takes me a little bit to actually get my brain going and operating but thats fine with me. Sleep and sex drive has gone down but I still get the sleep need and if I need to preform I can. I just don't have the desire to want sex. Its changed my life in such good ways."

KingGrilz February 12, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I never write reviews but I figured I had to share how truly life-changing Effexor has been for me. I've suffered with GAD and Major Depressive Disorder for quite some time. I was on and off of Prozac for about five years. When it stopped working, I began taking Effexor XR 37.5mg. I started feeling better, more calm, less anxious. Last year, someone I had dated for years and had recently broken up with passed away tragically. I was a disaster. My dosage was increased to 75mg, then 150mg, and now 225mg. Honestly - I don't know how I would have made it to where I am today without this medication. It has controlled my anxiety, my panic attacks and my depression. I still have bad days, I'm still in mourning, but I finally feel normal."

FreeAtLast55 February 10, 2017