User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Postpartum Depression 12 reviews 7 medications

6.8
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 425 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "At first I read all the reviews positive and negative and was like oh hell no!!! I would leave work early, wouldn't wan to leave the house or even go to the store. So my DR started me on 37.5 mg XR a few months ago. Only side effect was felt sick to my stomach but that went away after a while. I know people are different but WOW has it changed my life and thinking. I felt like an old me again, not worrying like a nervous nelly about things not in my head thinking about the what ifs, was staying at work and going to stores and people around me noticed the change in me. I was more up beat and less nervous. Now today I started the 75mg XR because my DR said let make you feel even more better. Hopefully this works if not I'll just go back down to 37.5mg"

Fitzy11 April 16, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "The positive: it has an almost immediate effect, from Day One there's a lift in mood. Effexor XR Also gives a feeling of energy, both mental and physical. I've also noticed a significant decrease in my social anxiety, I can talk to anyone without feeling nervous - this 'extra' effect began, again, on Day One. The negative: slight feelings of nausea with a definite decrease in appetite. I don't really enjoy my meals as much while on Effexor. I've also noticed a form of a insominia since starting - early awakenings and not being able to get back to sleep."

Billy Bones (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "It was efficient to have no anxiety. Except 2 weeks before my final exams, I"froze" = I had anxiety attacks. The big side effect was that it was extremely difficult to reach an orgasm / ejaculation + I lost more than 50 % of sex pleasure. Not good for couple life. Also I sweat A LOT during the night + big traumatizing nightmares if you forget your pills + I think I did sleep apnea + sleep paralysis. All those things at 75 mg. An other bad effect was that I became over confident / maniac. Also better to use Effexor than generics. The real brand seemed better for me"

kentum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I am taking 150 mg. I began at 75 with little effects. At 150..honestly I feel more anxious, yet medicated. I have been taking Effexor for 6 months.I believe it does more for my depression, than for anxiety. My appetite is about the same. I seem to wake up irritated, and have to take Seroquel at night to sleep. I am going to give it a few more months, then will talk to my doctor about changing it, or adding something for anxiety."

Byrdy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I've been on Effexor for about 2 years. It's changed my life completely. Before I went to rehab and before I was on it, I couldn't get out of bed for days at a time. It gives me energy and motivation! However, the withdrawal symptoms are horrific. If I miss a dose, I get severe headaches. I feel like there are fireworks going off in my head. Last year, I had to go the ER because I couldn't breathe or stop shaking after 3 weeks of cutting it cold turkey (due to an insurance error). This is definitely not the drug for people who regularly miss doses or have problems with addiction pills. It's not for everyone, but works great for me."

jaydemarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I'm taking 75 mg Effexor XR and my life is changing for the better. I no longer feel stress when I'm around people. Socializing is not such an ordeal anymore. My social anxiety started when I was 12. Wish Effexor was around back then. Hope Effexor helps everyone. First 10 days are not easy: anxiety , teeth clenching , nausea and diarrhea.. hang in there and give it time to work."

Shari lee March 11, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "Average-- not satisfied -- symptoms continue"

appy 53 March 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am sure Effexor has helped many people over the years. I was one of the first patients to take Prozac I was given ever increasing doses as my depression increased. At first, I was HEALED! I wound up in hospital with psychotic break, due to SSRI's. Effexor was given to me a few years later ( Doctors still did not correlate medication as possible issue ) and again I got more depressed. At this point I was taking a bi-polar med Lithium. The Dr. abruptly stopped Effexor from a high dose., and I do not remember the next month. I was on the payphone in a psych- ward talking to my Mom and came back. The nurses said I do not want to know what happened. I take my meds everyday, at the same time, see my Dr. every 3 months, and am well."

Experimental One (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Postpartum Depression "At 3 months post partum I started experiencing slight symptoms of PPD. I handled it and worked myself through it, thought I had it under control until I found myself uncontrollably crying, panic attacks, insomnia, excessive anger, lots of feelings of self worthlessness. My Dr first proscribed me Zoloft at 5 months post partum, for 3 weeks I had no luck. She then switched me to Effexor xr 37.5mg, as they say, the "light bulb" came back on after 2 weeks. I have had very bad anxiety since I was 14, I am now currently taking Effexor xr 75mg daily and am at 7 months post partum. Depression, the horrible self feelings I experienced were not anything I have ever felt with prior to this experience. Effexor changed my life!"

I just wasn't me for a while (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I started off with 75mg and have stayed on it ever since because I found no reason to change it. The first day I could feel this medication working, it was a little much at first but nothing I couldn't handle. But I soon noticed that it took all my emotions away and made me dull to everything going on around me and in my life. Most don't like that but I really do, I feel as if I have no cares in the world at all. Nothing goes through my head at all, its like magic. It takes me a little bit to actually get my brain going and operating but thats fine with me. Sleep and sex drive has gone down but I still get the sleep need and if I need to preform I can. I just don't have the desire to want sex. Its changed my life in such good ways."

KingGrilz February 12, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I never write reviews but I figured I had to share how truly life-changing Effexor has been for me. I've suffered with GAD and Major Depressive Disorder for quite some time. I was on and off of Prozac for about five years. When it stopped working, I began taking Effexor XR 37.5mg. I started feeling better, more calm, less anxious. Last year, someone I had dated for years and had recently broken up with passed away tragically. I was a disaster. My dosage was increased to 75mg, then 150mg, and now 225mg. Honestly - I don't know how I would have made it to where I am today without this medication. It has controlled my anxiety, my panic attacks and my depression. I still have bad days, I'm still in mourning, but I finally feel normal."

FreeAtLast55 February 10, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Effexor changed my life. I was suffering from bad depression for over two years due to something that happened in my life. I couldn't get the thoughts out of my mind. So daily, I would feel sad and depressed. I started with Wellbutrin, which I liked for depression and energy, but it made my anxiety which I also have worse. Anyways back to Effexor. The first 2 weeks taking effexor were kinda horrible. I felt weird, tired, and I was thinking of stopping this medication. But I stuck with it. I have to say I feel normal again, and my depression is gone. Even if I think of my past, I don't get sad anymore. So thank you Effexor"

Loveurlife February 9, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "Hi, I've been on Effexor for 2 weeks now. I feel a lot less anxious and generally happier. I've noticed some side effects, which I was expecting. So I thought I'd share my experience. Sweaty hands, blurred vision, nightmares, stomach ache / head ache, loss of appetite, weight loss, trouble sleeping, major increase of the the effects of alcohol. Those are just some of them."

firsttimeeffexor February 8, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder "I took Effexor for about 2 years for my panic disorder and it was a huge mistake! Effexor caused me to have violent out burst which I never had before the medicine, increased aniexty and suicidal thoughts.I thought I was doing good on the Effexor but everyone around me saw a complete change in me and it was bad. Almost 1 month ago I was sick for 3 days and was unable to keep my Effexor down from being sick so without knowing withdrawal began which included manic behavior, crying spells, nausea, brain zaps and a suicide attempt that landed me in a mental hospital and while there detoxed from the Effexor and put on new medicine. I know Effexor has worked for a lot of people but I wanted to share my story so people will research before starting"

Jacquelyne February 6, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I am ready to start this ! I'm nervous of the side effects but so tired of crying all the time for small reasons ? I work 11-7a don't know when to start this ? Mornings or nights ? I hope it helps me ? 37.5 for one month then up to 75 mg a day ! Any suggestions will help"

Cathyjerome February 2, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "Before anyone agrees to taking Effexor (venlafaxine), please look at the withdrawl symptoms. The symptoms and experience has been likened to heroin or opiate addiction withdrawl. Please do your research and regardless of what your doctor tells you, THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES! I hope this helps someone."

TrySomethingElse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I believe this medication saved my life. I did feel extremely sleepy at first while my dosage was being raised but that went away quickly. I have a new feeling of wanting to get up and do things that wasn't there before. I also feel a sense of calm and peacefulness. The only side effects so far that were troublesome is constipation and sometimes it's hard to concentrate if someone is speaking."

Ceriidwen January 26, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started taking Effexor about 3 days ago. So far, it's been pretty crazy. I'm sweaty all of the time, nauseous yet starving, and cannot stay asleep for the life of me. However, it is really helping with my anxiety. I suffer from dermatilioma, which causes me to pick my skin. I have noticed that I've been picking A LOT LESS in just 3 days! My scabs are clearing up, and I'm not "catching" myself picking nearly as often. I also feel calm and relaxed. The side effects seriously suck though. As I type this, my phone is about to slip out of my hands from sweat. I'm a 95 lb 21 year old and I don't think I've ever sweated so much in my life. It's also been making dizzy. It's worth it to me though. If it will help me stop picking, I'll do anything."

Meg95 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder "The good: tried after 3 years of agoraphobia and relying on diazepam to do even go down the road. 7 months later I'm at university, living a normal life, going to job interviews, socialising with friends, and I'm going abroad (for the first time in 6 years!) next week. Venlafaxine saved my life. The bad: you have to take it twice a day which is annoying if you're a disorganised student like me! Also if I forget to take a tablet by even a few hours, ZZZZAP! the brain zaps are so intense it feels like my head is being pounded by a fibrillater, plus dizziness, etc etc. Other notable side affects for me are excessive night sweats, and dry mouth. The good outweighs the bad 100% though... I love venlafaxine for how much it's helped me."

Holasophia (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I had a nervous breakdown when I was 38, I literally felt as if I was going out of my mind. I had gotten pregnant when I was 21 and had terminated the pregnancy. I had a few years of depression with no meds . I left my Husband and two children and went and stayed with my Sister. She promptly took me to a Psychiatrist that put me on Effexor Xr 75 mg twice a day. He also gave me Xanax to help me with the breakdown. Effexor and my Dr. saved my life. I have been on Effexor for 22 years. I sometimes feel the depression coming back and I now still have lots of Anxiety. but I take my Xanax and it helps. I have switched to Prozac, Brintellix, Lexapro . None of them work. I always go back to Effexor. I pray daily that God will heal me ."

Coookie January 20, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder "I have been taking Effexor for three years now and I've had good luck with it. I take 150 mg per day. I have panic disorder and depression and Effexor has been a godsend. I haven't had a panic attack since I started it 3 years ago. The only downside is if you miss a dose you really feel it."

Verniece (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "This med was given to me to replace lexapro and klonipin I took the med as directed and had the worst week of my life. The vivid dreams caused me to believe my sister and friends we're sneaking around trying to take my house or shooting me and burning it down it was so real to me. The tremors were uncontrollable I didn't know what day it was, I was living a nightmare. I'm 55 with two adult children I couldn't drive walk work it made me a zombie. I wouldn't give this med to my worst enemy. Every side effect I had"

Veniceboy January 13, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "If you want to live life on a drug, this worked! But beware for when you come off! Best bet is to supplement naturally. Your body is lacking something that you can get in a better-for-you form. Withdrawal symptoms are terrible!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 12, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Been on this Generic XR capsule 150 mg.just 4 days and have nausea, shakiness, blurry vision, insomnia, crying spells. This is awful and getting off this right away! Was on just before I started taking this was just 2 tablets, twice a day 75mg. No problems of side effects. Just wasn't working much anymore. There is a difference on side effects!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I used Effexor XR for depression and anxiety for almost two (2) years. Effexor has terrible anxiety and nausea first several days. I started 37.5 with .5 Clonazepam in the morning and before night, then upped to 75mg. Clonazepam was removed once my sleep was restored. Great Drug gave me life and energy. Side effects lowered erection, sex drive and orgasm. Kept me going well, gave much more energy comparing to Lexapro. Getting off after 2 years was not a problem. I was slowly reducing dose each 2-3 weeks."

Osg January 6, 2017