User Reviews for Effexor XR

Vulvodynia

1 review 9 medications
Summary of Effexor XR reviews 7.3 588 reviews

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Anxiety "I came to be on this drug in January 2018. I suffered from panic attacks and GAD. I felt horrible, I lost all my motivation and I was scared being crazy. I started with Effexor XR 37.5 mg for a week. Then I switch to 75 mg XR. The first month was the worst. Dizziness, akathisia, more panic attacks, sleepiness, my nerves were cracking. After 3 weeks all the side effects were gone and I started to feel better. Every day a little better. Now I am a new person! My husband is happier than me! Psychotherapy improved the effect of the drug. I really suggest to complement the drug treatment with psychotherapy. What I suggest is to resist quitting in the first month...it's always darkest before the dawn!"

sara90 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2019

For Panic Disorder "I was put on this medication, almost instantly I noticed a difference. I started at 75 mgs, within two weeks I was up to 150mg. Now I am up to 200mg. I’m also on Adderall for ADHD, both medications do wonders for me. Before Effexor I was at my lowest with my anxiety and panic. Effexor has made me feel like me again."

Hehaw (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2019

For Anxiety "5 years ago I got panic attacks. Thought I was dying! This created non stop anxiety insomnia etc. Couldn’t even function after this I was a wreck at 37 years old. This medication got me back into life. In about 3 weeks I was back on my feet. I bought a house and moved in with my girlfriend. I was on this medication 75mg a day for one year. Off for another year. Back on for the next. Then off again for a year. Today I have anxiety keeping me up for last few nights. I am starting on this medication again! Without this medication I would have not had a great last 5 years! Also currently I am starting to meditate as science shows it will physically change your brain! Wish everyone the best. Please remind yourselves it will get better!"

James bennett (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2019

For Anxiety "My panic attacks started in 2012 , I started taking Zoloft 50mg which was working well until 2018 when my panic attacks came back, and the worse was that my hands started shaking which I think can be side effects of Zoloft, since June 2018 my psychiatrist prescribed me Effexor XR, started 37.5 mg for 1 week and then 75mg and increased it to 112.5mg since August 2018. I am very happy, and I feel that it is working. Side effects were little nausea (If I take it with food it is much less ), sometimes I have headaches and in summer I was sweating a lot and some times I feel tachycardia. I believe tolerating the side effects are much easier than having panic attacks. The only problem that I have is may hands are still shaking specially when I am doing delicate things,"

Suzo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I see so many reviews here from people that gave up this medication after one day, five days, seven days. Guys, this medicine can take up to a MONTH to work. In the meantime, you might experience side effects like increased anxiety. Stick with it. It works for me - It might not for you, but please try it out properly (ie. for at least a month) before you knock it."

Gaute (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have major depressive disorder, panic disorder, and ASD. It didn’t do anything for my anxiety, it did minimal for my depression, but it did drastically decrease my irritably which is good. The reason I can only give Effexor XR a 1 though is because of the HORRIBLE withdrawal symptoms I had coming off of it. And no, I was not abusing it, I was taking it as prescribed. I have been on other drugs such as Adderall and Xanax, which are known to cause bad withdrawal symptoms, but neither of those drugs caused a withdrawal anywhere near as severe as Effexor XR did to me."

Otsutsuki (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2019

For Depression "I took my first and last effexor pill. I've been up for 24+hours and that's not me at all. I've had a severe headache as well as blurred vision. My doctor will know about this."

Lowman (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2018

For Anxiety "I am a 39 yr old female I took effexor XR @ 75 mg a day for the first and last time last night. I was prescribed this medicine for anxiety and panic attacks . I took the medicine about 8:30 by 9 I felt very weird and anxious I went to sleep and woke up for work in a horrible state. I felt like I was coming off hard drugs. I was and still am shakey and having a hard time just walking around and functioning. I went to work and can't believe I drove they sent me straight home and followed me to make sure I made it safe. This medicine is way to intense for me it's 6 pm the next day and I still am struggling to get back to normal so I can work tomorrow. This medicine isn't for everyone."

Zeppelin (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Okay, if you're reading this and scared to try this because of negative reviews of people who have taken it like twice do not be swayed. I have taken effexor for over 3 years now and I genuinely don't think I could live without it. I used to stay up ALL night because of unending panic attacks, and barely slept for months. I tried ambien and stayed up through that (traumatic let me tell you). My psychiatrist put me on this after a HORRIBLE time with prozac and it calms me so much. I can sleep now and I no longer feel like the world is trying to kill me. Side note I also take wellbutrin XL 150 during the day. It also has helped so much with my depression."

buckeyegirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was diagnosed with GAD, MDD, Panic Disorder and Social Anxiety. Before being diagnosed, I was very nervous about taking any antidepressants. However, Effexor was amazing for me, overall. Almost all anxiety and depression vanished. The only negative for me (and it’s a big one) was that I lost my libido, it was very hard to maintain an erection and orgasms became next to impossible. Trying a different medication now."

Ry390 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2018

For Depression "Effexor ER has been wonderful for me. I’ve been on it for 15 years and has helped me a lot, esp with my social phobia and depression. My psychiatrist initially put me on it after a hospitalization in 2005 I’m 300mg on day. It’s not perfect, I still struggle with depression but I’m much better than I was before the effexor."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) October 27, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was on generic for Prestiq 50mg for post menopause hot flashes, anxiety and depression. Lost my Insurance so changed to Effexor XR 75. No side affects and actually works better than Prestiq. I'm glad because its a lot cheaper."

CjGeorgia (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2018

For Depression "Let’s just start by saying, these pills were the worst!!! I could only take them for 7 days Before I started them I had small amount of anxiety after 3rd day on them I had a full blown anxiety attacks, I tried them at night at first but found out about 11 hrs in that’s when the attacks started so I tried in morning huge mistake. I was angry, freaking out, anxiety all day Felt like I was crawling out of my skin I’ve read some of these reviews glad they worked for the few My advice do not take them ask dr for something else they were my worst nightmare"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I’ve been on Effexor XR for for about 7 months now. At first it made me feel off (I’ve been sober for 6 years so I haven’t taken more than an ibuprofen). It made me super tired, a little nervous, I wouldn’t be hungry and I yawned constantly, but all that improved within a week or so. I was on cloud 9 for a while and felt clear, happy and somewhat euphoric. Then my depression came back hard. I was on 75mg for the first couple months and now 112.5mg. My night sweats are pretty bad, my rage hasn’t improved (I also have bpd, ptsd and anxiety disorder), I’ve been constipated this whole time and I just don’t think it’s helping me anymore. Missing a dose feels like detoxing from street drugs. Effexor worked great at first and I never thought I’d switch, but I’m starting Prozac and titrations off. It hasn’t been too bad so far."

KarissaExplainz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medicine made me wanna live again! The first days are tough, but then comes heaven after some days!"

DisturbedBoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I'm writing about switching on Effexor from another medication. Started zoloft 6 years ago for terrible daily panic attacks. I started on a low dose. Alternated between 25 and 50 MG of zoloft and had some times when I wasn't on it. It always worked until the last time. When I restarted it last year after being off for a year I got really sick with worse panic attacks than ever before. I tried on 25g but couldn't keep anything down. After a while I finally got up the courage to ask for help. My doctor switched me to effexor XR 37.5 MG. The doctor had me stop the zoloft one day and start effexor XR the next. I noticed a difference instantly. No more morning panic, or waking up with my mind racing and night sweats. All my symptoms were gone. Still on the effexor XR 37.5 MG and no anxiety or panic. Occasionally my heart races for a second but otherwise no symptoms or side effects. I am so happy to have a medication that really helps."

JenniV (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

"Prescribed effexor XR. started with 37.5mg, increased 75mg 2wks ago. diagnosed with cPTSD, Panic in '10. 1st Celexa, caused rash, Zoloft made me volatile. Then with Effexor I feel much better, no palpitations, less fear, anxiety, & anger, and haven't punched anyone, so that's good, I only WANT to sometimes. Thoughts are not keeping me hostage so much, while awake, nightmares like before. I can say hello to classmates. Sometimes have increased appetite. I do have increased overall energy- helps with getting out of bed with a more positive attitude, going for exercise without much fear, tho lack libido - that part of my body feels numb (booo) but ok. I feel better overall. I sweat a LOT more when sleeping, exercising, def more thirsty. I increased water intake. After 4yrs EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy), 5yrs CBT, & mindful lifestyle, grateful to find Effexor helping in ways I need. I felt exhausted for so long, now I feel alive. No need to work so hard to seem OK. I feel HOPE. I hope my little story helps be a light in the darkness for someone."

lafemme (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

For Depression "Been on Effexor 150 mg for 16 YEARS. Can't remember any side effects that weren't tolerable. I haven't had one problem in 16 years of taking it. I have had three clinical depression episode (about ten years apart) so I have to stay on an antidepressant for the rest of my life. I like to say....I'm a "quart low" on serotonin. Effexor has kept the level up. Happy patient!!"

Effexor Queen (taken for 10 years or more) October 17, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was given this drug when I was 24 years old to help combat my generalized anxiety. This is the worst drug. The first five nights I took it I would wake up each night at about 3 or 4 a.m. The first night I sat up and put my feet over the side of the bed and everything around me was dancing or moving in some way shape or form. I thought this must be what some kind of bad Acid Trip feels like. Then suddenly a wash of nausea came over me and I ran to the bathroom and collapse to my knees. As much as I felt like I wanted to puke I could not. I proceeded to get up and splash some water on my face from the sink and turned the lights on. When looking at my face in the mirror I could see my eyes were dilating and undulating.The next morning I felt like someone had injected the most amount of caffeine available straight into my veins. Finally when this effect wore off I crashed and fell asleep for 4 hours. Like I said these were regular occurrences for about the first 5 days."

M3gzz October 17, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Prior to taking Effexor, I was had daily panic attacks, suffered from agoraphobia, and would cry for hours at night without any reason (I was a mess). 35mg Effexor put me completely back to normal-- no more anxiety, but plenty of happiness and typical emotions. I would go as far as saying it cured me. However, the side effects are brutal. First 2 months were daily dry mouth, dizziness, "brain zaps", and constipation so bad it put me in the hospital. If I miss a day, the dizziness hits hard until I take the next pill. Overall, I think it is still worth the trouble because I'm mentally healthier than ever before."

Bio_Chick (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2018

For Depression "Worst medication ever! it made me throw up non-stop in the first dose, my heart started beating so fast, I almost end up in the hospital."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I started on Effexor four weeks ago at 37.5mg for a week and was advised to increase to 75mg. My initial side effects for the first three days were excessive fatigue, I think I slept for two days straight. I also had nausea and sweating. After four days the side effects stopped except the nausea still continues. My overall mental health is a lot better. I am calmer, less stressed, and able to concentrate better. I have also lost 6kg since starting the medication. So far I'm happy on it, the nausea is slowly subsiding but is still there."

Laura (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2018

For Depression "Horrible drug. My wife encouraged me to stay on it for 7 days (wanted to quit after 4 days). For 7 days felt like I was in the throes of a monster panic attack. Probably slept a total of 15 hours all week."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2018

For Panic Disorder "Been on this drug previously for about half of a year and it didn't work. I became manic and had thoughts of suicide after I was increased to 225mg. That first time I was introduced with a starting dose of 37.5mg for a week and then upped to 75mg and had no side effects at start. My new doctor wanted me to try it again almost 10 years later after we tried Celexa and had no change. The doctor was out of town and another doctor prescribed a starting dose of 75mg and instructions to up to 150mg in a week. Four days after starting I started having tremors, dizziness, insomnia and nausea. 7th day I started the 150mg and started vomiting and tremors were way worse. Went back to the 75mg the next day and asked doc for a new med, he said to stick it out because the doctor who prescribed started too high. I realized I was stupid to be on it again in the first place. I quit them."

Bren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2018

For Depression "Worst med I've ever taken! I only took it for 5 days as the side effects were so bad there was no way I was going to even try and continue to see if they stopped. My body would twitch and convulse. Anytime I tried to rest or sleep I became so restless I had to get up and walk or move. Normal side effects too- dry mouth, extra edginess and anxiety....it was bad. Stay away from this one! Even two weeks later my body still twitches on its own. One time it woke me up because of how strong my legs and arms were moving."

Dgirlrun (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...