User Reviews for Effexor XR

Vulvodynia

1 review 9 medications
Summary of Effexor XR reviews 7.3 526 reviews

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Stay away from Effexor Xr at all costs. It is absolute awful to come off of and it stops working after a while. This drug should be banned!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2018

For Anxiety "I have taken sertraline before on and off but when I get better I stop the medicine. First time 50 mg and then 100 mg . I have been depressed 5 times but now I been taking sertraline since January and it doesn't work. My doctor recommended me to switch to Effexor 75 mg capsules . Please wish me luck. I’m a mother of 2 and I need to function."

GY May 18, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "On Effexor for 2 years, weaned off to a half dose for a week which was ok, then a quarter dose which again was ok. When I got down to zero, I was very dizzy, which also made me nauseated because I'm prone to motion sickness. Also had diarrhea. Took immodium for the diarrhea, no biggie. IF YOU ARE DIZZY, take OTC Dramamine or Bonine, the motion sickness medicines. They are the same as prescription anti-vertigo meds. You will probably still feel off for a week, but you will be functional. I had a low grade headache the whole time, and "brain zaps". Dramamine seemed to make those less severe also, down to just annoying."

Amy T. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2018

For Depression "I’ve been on this for 15yrs Started weaning off about 6wks ago - very gradually. I am now only a few days into none at all and my life is falling apart. I am bedridden b'cos I’m So dizzy & lightheaded. I cry constantly. I have diarrhoea. And the worst symptom is when I do finally fall asleep I have these awful dark nightmares, stories of which I can’t even repeat here. I feel like I’ve been possessed by demons. Not good at all! I’m a mental mess! Feeling hopeless. But under no circumstances will I go back in this drug. Any medication that causes these bizarre & severe side effects during weaning is a no no I’m my opinion ! Pls tell me these side affects will go away!"

Kd2071 (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Got sick on day 1 and rash just started 50 mg of trazadone don't remember falling asleep. I just called dr to see if I can cut it in half. I feel like I'm in daze. How long does trazadone take to work in weeks or days?"

Robin (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I was dx with Panic Disorder after some life changing traumatic events. The panic was daily and crippling. It happened often, everyday for no rhythm or reason. With Effexor , 37.5mg worked great for a couple month's. Flash foward now 8 months later, I'm on 150mg now experiencing no anxiety BUT instead, depression, excessive weight gain, horrible night sweats, lack of motivation and feeling withdrawn. I used to be a very outgoing person but now all I do work, eat and sleep. I'm currently seeking other alternatives to get off this medication. Just isn't working out for me. Wish me luck."

Anonymous May 5, 2018

For Anxiety "I tried Effexor XR 75mg twice per day some time ago, in 2016 - but didn't like it so stopped after a couple of weeks or so. I don't recall any side effects. Lately I have just been having bad thoughts, sleeplessness and anxiety including vertigo and dream like states to almost passing out as well as attacks of sudden depression. I started again on 75mg once per day, and I feel much more level and like I can deal with things. Still finding my place on it, getting my concentration and focus back, hopefully before my next assignment is due ... sigh, but I am having a positive outcome thus far."

JR (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

For Panic Disorder "This medication completely changed my life. I had severe PSTD triggered by motor vehicles due to multiple car accidents when I was younger. I also had extreme panic attacks triggered by every day stressors. I had tried many different medications, mainly Lexapro, up until I was 19 and nothing ever worked for me. Then 6 months after starting to take Effexor I was able to get my first job, after a year I was able to get my license and get my first car, and soon after that I was able to get my own apartment. Its been a year and a half now, and I have never been so happy in my life. It seems as though every day I get happier and happier. I really am so grateful that my PCP prescribed this medication for me."

Haley (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 25, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I went from Dr. to Dr. for several years, but refused to take anything long term (afraid of getting "hooked"). Finally, after about six years of suffering and down to 129lbs, I went to see a Psychiatrist. He put me on Paxil. It seemed to help a bit, but the anxiety always broke through. Finally, around 2001, my primary care physician put me on Effexor 75mg. I had an initial side-effect, but I just pushed through it. I am glad I did! I went from constant anxiety and barely able to eat, to rarely, if ever, having anxiety and finally able to eat! In the years since (2018 now), The dose has been raised a couple times, and once in a while I will have a setback. However, Effexor (I use the XR generic version) holds my very sensitive fight and flight reaction in check. I strongly recommend this medication. It may not work for everyone, but it made my life liveable again!"

DWC April 21, 2018

For Depression "I have taken Effexor XR for almost 5 years. I was diagnosed with severe PTSD, depression, and anxiety. I take 150mg in the morning. I don’t forget to take it because if I don’t take it in the morning I start having withdrawal symptoms by 4pm. My lips get numb and vertigo starts. The longer I wait the worst it gets. I really had to discipline myself to take it routinely because forgetting enough times is hell so generally I never miss a dose. However a few times a year it happens and I remember. Overall it’s the first drug I’ve stayed on because if I forget it reminds me with the withdrawal symptoms. Generally I feel very happy and able to deal with life. I’ve put my life back together after my trauma and feel empowered. I’ve set some great future goals and a timeline. There is nothing I can’t work at."

Sharky6789 April 19, 2018

For Depression "Fantastic medication. At 75 mg, it brought me out of an intractable major depressive episode and reduced the anxiety that had been eviscerating me for months. I went up to 150 mg - which did make me hypomanic and caused rapid-cycling, but I wouldn't have known I had Bipolar II otherwise. Currently using in conjunction with Lamictal and seeing great results. I am calm, have motivation, sleep well, and have hope for the future. Side effects: Night sweats and slightly fragmented sleep when raising dose; abated after 3-4 days. Ongoing constipation - extra fiber helps. Make sure to take on time; I have panic attacks the next day if I'm 6+ hours late. It's a bear to lower your dose, but taking out a grain at a time from the capsule takes care of the bad effects ;) Highly effective medication if it works with your unique physiology! I'm a physically healthy 24-year-old female."

Potato (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 13, 2018

For Depression "Great medicine, no real side effects. Took about 10 days to 2 weeks to kick in. Used it for roughly 18 months than tapered off. Have, luckily been “depression free” for a number of years now but, if it started flaring up again I would be back to my Doctor in a New York minute to re-up the prescription for Effexor XR. Made me feel like a human being again."

The Pumpkin (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 12, 2018

For Anxiety "Gave me hypoglycemia upon wakening and panic attacks...at the lowest dosage of 37.5 mg when added on to Lexapro. Never again."

Dantheman93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

For Anxiety "I have been on and off this medication for years - it has been the one that has worked best for me always. I will start to feel I need more and try something else, but I always come back to Effexor XR. I take 37.5 mg. I have NEVER had a zap or cried when going off the medication or forgetting a dose, although I am on a low dose. It is what makes me feel the closest to normal of all the medications I have tried. I do have to say that Paxil was the first med I ever tried and it totally removed all anxiety, which was what I needed at that time, but I put on 40 lbs with it and have struggled with that weight ever since. I have come to understand that we all need a wee bit of anxiety in our lives or else what would be the catalyst to get out of bed or work out or be a better person. But when the anxiety becomes unhealthy some of us we need the help that only a medication can give us."

Gergerbear (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2018

For Anxiety "People should say if they are male or female. It works differently on them. I think it works better for male"

Lisa March 30, 2018

For Anxiety "Had panic attacks for 21 years and eventually put on Effexor. What a relief would not give these up for all the tea in China fantastic"

Carmo (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2018

For Depression "I’ve been on Effexor for 5 months, and I’ve gone from off the charts depressed and anxious to happy and productive. I tried an anxiolytic briefly the first week I started the Effexor but didn’t like it, so quit, but I’ve found that my negative internal narrative has improved drastically on the Effexor which has helped my anxiety significantly as well. My family and friends have noticed a huge difference in my mood and energy level. I was increased to 112.5mg daily over the winter for relapse in some depressive symptoms and just decreased to 75mg daily - having some side effects of sleep interruption with the dose titration but otherwise so far so good. My sleep was always interrupted titrating up as well, which always improved with time. My only complaint is that my sex drive decreased for a while upon starting the drug, and even though I now have it back, it’s still more difficult to orgasm. This side effect is improving over time as well, but it’s an annoyance for sure."

NurseJenny (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

For Depression "Was put on Effexor after hallucinating on Prozac. What a relief. It worked for a good 14-15 Years, till it turns on you. Just starts out as a migraine or a click in your knee, then the shoulder, and then the unsteadiness and loss of coordination. Then the brain zaps that keep you from relaxing. The Doctors would not say "It's the Med." So I called the FDA. Hey, I am waking with brain Zaps, and blood on my pillow from a bloody nose. I also am too weak to get up, have muscle spasms, have slurred speech and am confused. FDA.. Call your Doctor.. Called. Doctor... "Cant be the Efforex XR. " rubbish! Went to Pharmacy, asked the Pharmacist who said get off this one.. "Effexor XR" This is the cause of your problems."

Ah Poop (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2018

For Panic Disorder "Helped me immensely for my Panic Disorder for over 10 years! No side effects except when increasing or decreasing. One time I was put on too much and had very bad side effects, but once they got the dosage correct everything was fine. I've use this along with clonazapam, with excellent results for over 10 years!!"

Deb from Philly March 7, 2018

For Anxiety "I developed severe IBS-D and OCD anxiety symptoms building into agoraphobia, which became progressively worse, to include suicidal thoughts and led to a legitimate nervous breakdown. My doctor prescribed Effexor supplemented for a short time with Clonazepam to get through this period and I was able to within a few weeks. An overlooked effect of this drug is that my stomach issues improved CONSIDERABLY (75mg), while Zoloft had made it worse. I highly recommend this for anyone with IBS-D or OCD type anxiety symptoms. It is very difficult to wean off of, but I am now pregnant and have come down to 37.5mg by going down 12mg every 2 weeks with minimal side effects. A perinatal specialist recommended I not completely go off, just wean down. Though the baby has not been born yet, I had a comprehensive ultrasound done to check for birth defects and everything looks very healthy. Good luck and I hope this helps!"

Kris March 5, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I had anxiety for 20 years and didn't really know the reason for it. I moulded my miserable life around my anxiety demands and tried my best to change things but all gone vain. It was one good day that I saw neuro surgeon about another issue who prescribed me effexor alongnwith other medicines. While I was searching the uses and dosages of the medicines the word "Social Anxiety Disorder", for the first time, came in my knowledge. I was amazed that all symptoms and behavioral pattern that were described in this context were almost identical with my situation. I am on effexor for six months and things are altogether changed. My relations with family, workplace, friends are quickly restored. I am very happy and really enjoying my life now. The side effects are far less important then the major damages that the disorder itself creates. Effexor works like magic spell and within days it change the life and lifestyle."

Salam Esapzo March 3, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "This is the best medication I have been given. It gave me my life back"

Sarah (taken for 10 years or more) March 3, 2018

For Anxiety "I have been on this drug for 2 weeks and am already in love with it. I feel like it’s balancing out something in my brain that has been broken a long time. I feel like if I’m not constantly struggling and fighting to lose weight the pounds just pile on. When I stop exercising while sick I gain everything back. I also have depression and anxiety. Most pills make me feel like a zombie. So since starting this drug I have lost almost ten pounds in 2 weeks. And I haven’t even tried! I am less hungry, like if I’m not hungry food doesn’t even look good. I was on vacation for one of the weeks I’ve been on Effexor and didn’t eat the healthiest, but did eat less. I haven’t exercised either, except for a few days here and there. I know it takes longer to see the real effects of the drug, but I’m already less anxious and the weight is just falling off. No bad side effects except a little constipation and a slight head ache the first week."

Rose March 1, 2018

For Depression "Had no effect at all"

SuzzyQ (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking lamotragine but find it ineffective for depression. I was misdiagnosed as bipolar. I am considering taking venlaflazine again which worked to treat the depression for 12 years. I am a little wary though, realising now that all medications have bad side effects that at the time we tolerate. The down sides of venlaflaxine were irritability and unable to really relax. Tooth grinding, I lost and cracked 2 teeth and an inability to think or talk about my problems, armoured and ignoring them. Is it better to live calmly with some depression than none?"

PPOd (taken for 10 years or more) February 22, 2018