User Reviews for Effexor XR

Vulvodynia

1 review 9 medications
Summary of Effexor XR reviews 7.3 549 reviews

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Depression "This medicine was GREAT while you took it but I was unfortunately very forgetful and if I missed a dose at all I’d be horrifically depressed. I switched back to another medicine (SSRI) because if by chance I missed a dose it wouldn’t ruin my life. If you’re pretty good at taking medicine this might be a great option but stay clear if you’re forgetful."

Am (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I switched to this from Prozac after trying many different SSRIs. Some didn't do anything, some helped quite a bit. Effexor XR being an SNRI made a world of difference compared to Prozac. At first I did get some mild headaches and was a little jittery, but once I got used to it after a few weeks the side-effects abated. Just stick with it and don't let the side-effects at first deter you."

Breezy (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

For Depression "It saved my life!! I've been on 150mg XR for 20 plus years and I can not find words to adequately describe the benefits of this medication. It's been so long, I really don't remember if I suffered any ill side effects when I first started or not. I will say that I had the bright idea several years ago to stop taking it.. cause I thought it may help me loose weight. WITHDRAWAL WAS HORRENDOUS and I decided weight gain or not, I was taking it. Quit eating like a pig, started walking, kept taking Effexor, lost my extra weight and wasn't depressed. I highly recommend this - try it. The pros far out weigh the cons in my book."

MEL (taken for 10 years or more) August 2, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Miracle Drug! I advise everyone to STICK to it through the first week. For me personally, the first week was AWFUL. Honestly terrible. I was nauseous, disorientated, had short term memory loss - I felt high/disconnected to reality the first couple of days. After one week I woke up and was completely fine. I felt like my old normal self (without anxiety/depression). Now I fell very happy, motivated, calm and most importantly STABLE! No more mood swings, irritability; as soon as something dark creeps into my mind, I can dismiss it in a moment. I've been on Venlafaxine XR for two months (150mg now) and I feel fantastic. I'm so glad I gave it a go. Although it was my last resort, it was my best resort. I used to be a professional athlete, been vegan for a while, I would meditate, do yoga and non of that would help AT ALL with my condition. Now, these actions are starting to pay off with the help of this drug. Lots of love to everyone going through hard times, hope my review helps you <3"

lindsieloo August 1, 2018

For Postpartum Depression "Been taken this mediation bout 3 months start on 75mg now on 150mg I'm very stressed my depression is not under control I'm worse in fact I've no energy I'm always sleepy, I've started to shake and have hot sweats. I don't think this for me"

Daisey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2018

For Depression "Effexor is a terrible drug. Choose a different antidepressant or anxiety drug. When you stop taking this drug it will be a terrible experience even if you go off slowly. It will take a long time to feel good. PLEASE don't take this."

NYNYgirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2018

For Depression "I've been taking effexor for two years, without much results until recently. I admitted myself to a psychiatric unit for my depression, where they raised my dosage from 75mg to 225mg. It's been a few weeks, and I've noticed my mood has greatly improved. I have more energy and motivation, and am no longer crushed by overwhelming sadness. I wouldn't call this a miracle drug, but for me, it definitely makes life more liveable."

Alex July 22, 2018

For Depression "I had suffered for years with anxiety/depression back in the 80's and 90's, back then there was very little medication to help. In the late 90s my doctor put me on Prozac which helped profoundly until it stopped working after 10 years. Then Effexor XR was introduced, this medication was a godsend and I still take it daily for the last 18 yrs, now I'm able to concentrate when I read and enjoy a happy and fulfilled life!"

Isabel (taken for 10 years or more) July 21, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Probably jumping the gun on here, but what the heck. I had to wait over an hour at my hot mess of a pharmacy to fill this...but I think it was worth it. God Bless my insurance- this is not cheap! I lucked out because my psych. initiated a follow up with me today, and could not be in better timing. I had to go see a OB/GYN appt. later that day, and I get flashbacks b/c I was raped at 7 yrs/old. (Add in my other meds + Klonopin), but everything went so smoothly, and I heard this can help anxiety+depression in the longrun. (37.5 mg Effexor XR Added to Wellbutrin 300 XR) Not gonna lie, I do have a headache and stomach felt a bit off, rather low key now..but I also had a bad sleep. But I was able to stay clean from alcohol today when I would normally be hitting the bottle to numb my trauma. Only 1st day, but I see some good prospects in adding this Rx to my current schedule/regimen."

Kool Person (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2018

For Panic Disorder "This drug caused the most horrifying experience of my life. 7:30 pm I took one 37.5 mg pill. 11:30 was horrible. I was vomiting and diarrhea. Pupils were dilated. Wasn't sure if I was real or where I was or what was happening. Phoned mom and an ambulance and taken to the hospital. After tests done was sent to the wait area and became tired because I had 1 mg of Ativan. After 6 hours went home to sleep. Then the real nightmare begin. Woke up at noon to complete hallucinations. Didn't know what was real and I was actually hallucinating this time. There were colors everywhere. Like a drug trip and been on those before but this was not the same. This was much more intense. Pupils were dilated so much couldn't see the color of my eyes. Sweating profusely and was getting chills over my entire body. Got to bottom of apartment when I collapsed and I could barely see. Was able to dial 911 on my phone before I could barely see anything at all. Found on concrete outside and taken to hospital."

Piggies5 July 13, 2018

For Depression "I suffered from a serious depression after a traumatic experience. I've always been a bit of a melancholic and I believed that I really know what depression is. But no, believe me, I had some horrible experiences and thoughts I didn't know I'm able to feel. After seeing the psychiatrist forthe first time, I started taking Laxapro which worked really bad for me. I stopped the treatment, get back to the black hole and start again. This time was Venlafaxine and changed everything. I was able to work with myself again. I have my clear mind, my job and life back. Of course, nothing is perfect. Miss one dose and you'll feel like dying. But, let's be honest, there is a small cost comparing with the experiences thar really kills you."

Giorgio Bambinovich (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was given Effexor XR in 2013 for generalised anxiety disorder. I was stable on 75mg for about 4 years when I decided to wean off it because of weight gain & the feeling that it wasn’t effective anymore in 2017. I weaned off using a Prozac bridge but relapsed 4 months later after a death in the family. I was restarted on Effexor XR and after 2 weeks started to feel better & had 2 good weeks. Out of the blue I stopped sleeping, started having panic attacks, paranoia & dark thoughts, I have never experienced anything like it. I sought out a psychiatrist & psychologist for help as my GP didn’t know what to do. I’ve been started on a Tricyclical antidepressant & am slowly weaning off the Effexor. My message is that everyone reacts differently to medication, carefully watch your reactions to a new medication & please seek help if you need it. Thankfully I did & my kids still have a Mum."

Mumof2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 29, 2018

For Anxiety "Effexor is the best thing ever. I suffer depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia. I've been on other medicines and never felt as good as I do now. Now life isn't always a bed if roses, but I can deal with things way better than I used to then I'm happy. People need to realize it takes time to get in your system to work and for about 3 weeks you may feel effects. But don't give up."

LOR (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2018

For Depression "I had tried just about every SSRI known to man (and women) and also several mood stabilizers but they offered very little relief and it was often fleeting. After the birth of my daughter I was agoraphobic and suicidal. My psychiatrist put me on Effexor XR and Remeron. I am on a 300mg and haven't had a major depressive episode in 4 years. The withdrawal effects are terrible but only if I forget to take it. It also helps with my fibromyalgia pain and narcolepsy symptoms."

AnneBivalent (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 25, 2018

For Depression "Effexor worked in the same way surviving a traumatic event makes you appreciate life. The first two weeks I experienced the worst horrible side effects. Vertigo, (almost fell while walking) , and a range of emotions from anger to numbness, than it worked. I felt ok for awhile until I missed a dose. Then the withdrawal symptoms hit me like I was a crack addict. I had to wean off slowly the vertigo was so severe. After that I felt like I survived and learn how to use natural coping techniques. I didn't want to take anything else."

Dani (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2018

For Anxiety "I am a 31 year old female and work as a lawyer. Effexor is the first medication I tried. I took it for 7 years and it worked great. I decided to stop a few years ago, because I thought it was affecting my libido. The reality is that I was just in a bad relationship and I wasn’t attracted to the man I was with. Anyhow, I tried all sorts of medications afterwards including Buspirone, Zoloft and Pristiq. I am now back to Effexor, the only medication that ever worked with my anxiety. It is just day 1, but all I can say is that for 7 years, it worked magic. Most of my anxiety symptoms were gone. When off Effexor, anxiety slowly came back and manifested itself in the sneakiest ways.... it just takes over your life to a point where you can’t funtion anymore. I was at a point where I literally couldn’t function. Now I have hope. Finally I can go back to normal and enjoy life. I have a wonderful family, boyfriend and a challenging & interesting job."

NoName June 15, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Just started Effexor Xr 36.5 mg I am hoping for a good results"

Suzyq (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

For Depression "This was and is the most horrible medication that I’ve ever experienced before. It works well for a lot of people, however I wasn’t one of them. I felt intense pending doom, increased rapid thoughts, thoughts of self harm, perplexed and dissociation, everyone around me seemed awkward to me. I felt like in a dark hole, a tunnel of never ending sadness and a no-way out feeling. If your a Christian like me I would say maybe a similar of “mental hell” it was awful."

Anonymous June 14, 2018

For Anxiety "I am a long time general anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic sufferer. I went on effexor XR since celexa stopped working for me. I love it. I feel better, I feel more motivated. I've lost 25lbs because I am out now out walking and just living my life with no worry or anxiety anymore. I still have a little but nothing like it was. My husband says I am so different for the better. We are so happy since I took it. My husband saids laughingly thank you effexor. lmao. I have to agree. It works for me."

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2018

For Anxiety "Hello everyone. Ok I posted May 19 and this is my update. So I stopped sertraline and started taking Effexor 75 mg capsules. The Doctor advise to stop sertraline slowly so the first week I took Effexor 75 mg and half of sertraline which is 50 mg. The second week I took Effexor 75 mg and setraline 25 mg. And now just Effexor . And now just 75 mg of Effexor (venlafaxine ) . I feel so much better . My anxiety has almost stopped and I remind my self to take deep breaths . I'm sleeping better and I’m pushing my self lot more. I refuse to sleep during the day and all that is helping me. I’m posting this because I know how it feels to feel helpless. So everyone keep pushing through this. Keep your head up, keep praying and keep positive. Love you all and good luck!!!!"

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm on the Effexor 50mg dose. You can get a bead form or a tablet form. Well when I'm on the bead form it acts like I haven't taken it at all - I get dizzy, feel sick, often vomit but when I'm on the tablet form I'm fine."

becca (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2018

For Depression "It was effective, but not in a way anyone would want. For the very first time in my life I would go through episodes where I experienced absolute terror, and although I had been experiencing deep depression after losing several people close to me in a short time, I had never before contemplated harming myself. After less than a week on this medication, I was disassociated from everyone around me, largely unaware of anyone/anything outside "my bubble", and had turned totally inward, to the point of not seeing the changes. I was in such a dark place. Luckily, when the thought flashed through my mind that "I sure will miss my Girls" followed by a second lucid thought hit...WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING>>>??!! Two days after stopping the med all was back to the comparatively blissful normal depression, which has proven to be MUCH more effectively dealt with through some counselling, a regiment of exercise & outdoor activities, & an intensive hobby."

Sunseeker (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Stay away from Effexor Xr at all costs. It is absolute awful to come off of and it stops working after a while. This drug should be banned!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2018

For Anxiety "I have taken depression medicine few times in my life. I was on sertraline 50mg the first times and then it had to be 100 mg. This last time I took it like 4 months and it never kicked in, my doctor prescribed me Effexor 75mg capsules . This is my second day on them I feel little different I have a feeling they will work. "

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2018

For Anxiety "I have taken sertraline before on and off but when I get better I stop the medicine. First time 50 mg and then 100 mg . I have been depressed 5 times but now I been taking sertraline since January and it doesn't work. My doctor recommended me to switch to Effexor 75 mg capsules . Please wish me luck. I’m a mother of 2 and I need to function."

GY May 18, 2018