User Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Effexor XR

"Helped me from the first time I took it."

Dan (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2019

"Effexor was awesome for my anxiety and panic, but being a male , I had a very hard time in the bedroom. Could not finish. Unfortunately I had to go back to Pristiq for this reason. I've been on Pristiq for a long time and it's works quite good, when you compare it to Effexor XR, the Pristiq just doesn't feel as good as . But it is a lot milder in its side effects in the bedroom. Anyway I read that a lot of people are having a horrendous time getting off Effexor. My doctor advised me to straight swap Effexor 75mg for 50mg Pristiq next day and it worked great. I felt a bit sick in the stomach for a day, but that was it. Just allow yourself a day or two free days, just to be on the safe side. I've also done the same for 150mg Effexor to 100mg Pristiq. I've always tolerated Pristiq quite well. That's also how my doctor advised me to transition from Pristiq to Effexor as well. Just straight swap next day, also worked fine. Hope this helps."

Billy (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2019

"I have been on Effexor XR 75mg for the past 4 months now for social anxiety/GAD. A sense of calm and relaxation has come over me. I have days where nothing seems to phase me and I couldn't care less attitude. For me this is a good thing as I use to worry constantly about small, stupid things. I think this is called "emotional blunting"I also seem to look people in the eye and maybe give them a smile. This drug takes awhile to kick in so I would suggest maybe sticking with it. I also take Mirtazapine 15mg at night,"

EIRE DOD (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2019

"After starting Effexor (went up to 200mg) for my anxiety/panic attacks I felt great. No more anxiety or panic attacks at all and it was amazing. After having suffered soo much I thought the side effects were worth it at first. Then I gained 15 pounds. If I didn’t take it exactly at the same time every day I would get dizziness and headaches and often had headaches even if I properly took it. I had constipation so I had to take meds for that. Then after a while the stomach pains started and only got worst until I had to start taking meds for that too. So after 8 years I felt it wasn’t working as well as before for the anxiety and I was fed up of the side effects so I decided to change meds. Getting off of it was hard (lots of side effects) and had to be done VERY slowly (took months). Now been off it for 4 years and my stomach is still destroyed (heartburn & reflux) and I still need to take meds for my stomach!"

Blueanx (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2019

"I owe a great thank you to Effexor. My cons are vivid dreaming and minor sleep difficulties. But the pros for myself, outweigh the bad. For the first time in 10+ years my anxious thoughts and sweats are almost nonexistent. I enjoy the taste of food again. And I feel like I have more purpose, I don’t walk around with the “I’m just here, useless” cloud over me. I will continue to fight to feel right, Effexor has definitely gave me my footing."

STEEL (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2019

"Stopped after first capsule. I had Nausea, headache, dizzy, disoriented, rise in blood pressure to 170/93, blurred vision, extreme fatigue, difficulty breathing, tightness in chest, caused onset of IBS. I couldn’t get out of bed for 36 hours."

jim7005 (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2019

"I have taken this drug for almost 10 years. Dosage has varied from 37.5mg to 225mg. It is very effective for my depression and anxiety. Right now 75mg is working well. You need to taper slooooowly off this med. Continue getting your regular dose, open the capsule and remove 2-3 beads at a time, each week. It might take a year or more, but you won’t feel the physical withdrawals (much). This method has helped me find the right dose for me, for now. Taper down very, very, very slowly."

Sher (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 6, 2019

"Was on 150mg for the past 3 years. I tried to get off them earlier last year to no avail for the withdrawals from this drug seem to be incredibly dangerous and life halting. For 2 months now I have been going down in dosage from 75mg to 37.50mg and now 0 mg. Throbbing shocks in my head, convulsions, bad stomach pains, nausea, mentally destroyed - random crying and rage from anything that catches my emotional attention (dropping a pencil etc). I do not recommend this drug. It may have helped me get through some hard times but in my honest opinion I feel this should be illegal. I have had to take time off from work for I cannot function appropriately."

Jeremy (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2019

"Suffered from anxiety from a kid. Didn't get diagnosed until I was in my 30's. Was on Celexa for a couple years but found that it never really kept the episodes away. Doctor decided a switch to Effexor might help. The electrical shocks and the way it made my nerves feel was something else for a good 1 month or two before is started to calm down. Always feel on edge with this drug at 75 mg. Don't miss a dose or go to long between the 24 hours or you'll notice weird head episodes. I found taking it before bed was he best way for me. At one point doctor thought it might help going up to 150 but that sent me to hospital with serotonin syndrome, lasted 2 days. After 3 years I started having shaking and dizziness symptoms similar to someone with MS or Parkinsons along with other neurological issues. Noticing the symptoms are worse close to the time of needing to take the next dose. Looking to get off the medication this year."

Levi (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2019

"I came to be on this drug in January 2018. I suffered from panic attacks and GAD. I felt horrible, I lost all my motivation and I was scared being crazy. I started with Effexor XR 37.5 mg for a week. Then I switch to 75 mg XR. The first month was the worst. Dizziness, akathisia, more panic attacks, sleepiness, my nerves were cracking. After 3 weeks all the side effects were gone and I started to feel better. Every day a little better. Now I am a new person! My husband is happier than me! Psychotherapy improved the effect of the drug. I really suggest to complement the drug treatment with psychotherapy. What I suggest is to resist quitting in the first month...it's always darkest before the dawn!"

sara90 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2019

"5 years ago I got panic attacks. Thought I was dying! This created non stop anxiety insomnia etc. Couldn’t even function after this I was a wreck at 37 years old. This medication got me back into life. In about 3 weeks I was back on my feet. I bought a house and moved in with my girlfriend. I was on this medication 75mg a day for one year. Off for another year. Back on for the next. Then off again for a year. Today I have anxiety keeping me up for last few nights. I am starting on this medication again! Without this medication I would have not had a great last 5 years! Also currently I am starting to meditate as science shows it will physically change your brain! Wish everyone the best. Please remind yourselves it will get better!"

James bennett (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2019

"My panic attacks started in 2012 , I started taking Zoloft 50mg which was working well until 2018 when my panic attacks came back, and the worse was that my hands started shaking which I think can be side effects of Zoloft, since June 2018 my psychiatrist prescribed me Effexor XR, started 37.5 mg for 1 week and then 75mg and increased it to 112.5mg since August 2018. I am very happy, and I feel that it is working. Side effects were little nausea (If I take it with food it is much less ), sometimes I have headaches and in summer I was sweating a lot and some times I feel tachycardia. I believe tolerating the side effects are much easier than having panic attacks. The only problem that I have is may hands are still shaking specially when I am doing delicate things,"

Suzo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2019

"I am a 39 yr old female I took effexor XR @ 75 mg a day for the first and last time last night. I was prescribed this medicine for anxiety and panic attacks . I took the medicine about 8:30 by 9 I felt very weird and anxious I went to sleep and woke up for work in a horrible state. I felt like I was coming off hard drugs. I was and still am shakey and having a hard time just walking around and functioning. I went to work and can't believe I drove they sent me straight home and followed me to make sure I made it safe. This medicine is way to intense for me it's 6 pm the next day and I still am struggling to get back to normal so I can work tomorrow. This medicine isn't for everyone."

Zeppelin (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2018

"I was taking Celexa for anxiety and when that stopped working effectively after three years my doctor put my on Effexor. I cannot express enough how much I disliked this drug. I took it at a high dose for a while and decided to cut the dose in half because I just felt “numb”. And then I crashed. I felt so many emotions in one day, I felt like a different person. All of my personal relationships were failing because I was just pushing people away. I’ve never felt depression before and I constantly felt alone in the dark with no light in sight. I honestly had no care in the world if I lived or died. So I stopped all together. I would rather feel my old anxiety than any of the negative emotions I felt on Effexor. By day three with no meds I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. I’m now at a week clean and I’m starting to feel like me again. I will never touch this medication again."

Tori September 27, 2018

"I been on this medicine for two days due to peri menopause which is causing me to have blackout panic attacks. Dr started me on 75mg once a day. The second (no joke) I took this medication I was having a panic attack. It had almost an instant effect. The first day I was a bit dizzy and had diarrhea. Woke up in the middle of the night having hot flashes. But no anxiety what so ever. Second day I took it at the exact same time. Not one single side effect. This drug is a life saver and changer. I also have ADHD and been on Adderal XR 15mg for 18 years. I was worried about how these two pills would work together. All I can say is WOW!! Effexor XR and Adderal Xr together couldn't be a better combo. I'm a completely new person. I wake up and take my Adderall and then about dinner time I take Effexor. I am now calm, have no more agitation and anxiety due to the Effexor, plus I can stay focused and alert all day due to my Adderall. I couldn't feel better. These two medications work hand and hand."

Nicole4477 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

"My doctor prescribed this for ongoing Anxiety, and it was HORRIBLE!! I took one 37.5mg dose at around 9:30 pm. At 2:30 am I was jolted awake from a bad dream. I never have any trouble sleeping before but I suddenly had an overwhelming feeling that I needed to get up and go somewhere. I paced around my house not understanding why I couldn't stop moving. My heart was pounding and my body felt electrified. I had this cold sensation that felt like ice water in my veins but I was sweating profusely. My mind was racing but I felt confused over what was happening. I finally woke my husband up, and he had to sit up with me for over an hour until the worst of it passed. The next morning I had nausea and felt like I had the flu, shaking and chilled. This was probably the worst I've felt in my life and although I've never done meth I imagine it feels somewhat similar to how I felt. Please beware when trying this medication for the first time!"

CA Mom of 4 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

"Did not do much for chronic anxiety or depression, only really felt effects when forgot to take a dose. Very drastic withdrawal was felt."

Oneocinna (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2018

"Effexor is the best thing ever. I suffer depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia. I've been on other medicines and never felt as good as I do now. Now life isn't always a bed if roses, but I can deal with things way better than I used to then I'm happy. People need to realize it takes time to get in your system to work and for about 3 weeks you may feel effects. But don't give up."

LOR (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2018

"I am a 31 year old female and work as a lawyer. Effexor is the first medication I tried. I took it for 7 years and it worked great. I decided to stop a few years ago, because I thought it was affecting my libido. The reality is that I was just in a bad relationship and I wasn’t attracted to the man I was with. Anyhow, I tried all sorts of medications afterwards including Buspirone, Zoloft and Pristiq. I am now back to Effexor, the only medication that ever worked with my anxiety. It is just day 1, but all I can say is that for 7 years, it worked magic. Most of my anxiety symptoms were gone. When off Effexor, anxiety slowly came back and manifested itself in the sneakiest ways.... it just takes over your life to a point where you can’t funtion anymore. I was at a point where I literally couldn’t function. Now I have hope. Finally I can go back to normal and enjoy life. I have a wonderful family, boyfriend and a challenging & interesting job."

NoName June 15, 2018

"I am a long time general anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic sufferer. I went on effexor XR since celexa stopped working for me. I love it. I feel better, I feel more motivated. I've lost 25lbs because I am out now out walking and just living my life with no worry or anxiety anymore. I still have a little but nothing like it was. My husband says I am so different for the better. We are so happy since I took it. My husband saids laughingly thank you effexor. lmao. I have to agree. It works for me."

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2018

"Hello everyone. Ok I posted May 19 and this is my update. So I stopped sertraline and started taking Effexor 75 mg capsules. The Doctor advise to stop sertraline slowly so the first week I took Effexor 75 mg and half of sertraline which is 50 mg. The second week I took Effexor 75 mg and setraline 25 mg. And now just Effexor . And now just 75 mg of Effexor (venlafaxine ) . I feel so much better . My anxiety has almost stopped and I remind my self to take deep breaths . I'm sleeping better and I’m pushing my self lot more. I refuse to sleep during the day and all that is helping me. I’m posting this because I know how it feels to feel helpless. So everyone keep pushing through this. Keep your head up, keep praying and keep positive. Love you all and good luck!!!!"

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

"I have taken depression medicine few times in my life. I was on sertraline 50mg the first times and then it had to be 100 mg. This last time I took it like 4 months and it never kicked in, my doctor prescribed me Effexor 75mg capsules . This is my second day on them I feel little different I have a feeling they will work. "

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2018

"I have taken sertraline before on and off but when I get better I stop the medicine. First time 50 mg and then 100 mg . I have been depressed 5 times but now I been taking sertraline since January and it doesn't work. My doctor recommended me to switch to Effexor 75 mg capsules . Please wish me luck. I’m a mother of 2 and I need to function."

GY May 18, 2018

"I tried Effexor XR 75mg twice per day some time ago, in 2016 - but didn't like it so stopped after a couple of weeks or so. I don't recall any side effects. Lately I have just been having bad thoughts, sleeplessness and anxiety including vertigo and dream like states to almost passing out as well as attacks of sudden depression. I started again on 75mg once per day, and I feel much more level and like I can deal with things. Still finding my place on it, getting my concentration and focus back, hopefully before my next assignment is due ... sigh, but I am having a positive outcome thus far."

JR (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

"Gave me hypoglycemia upon wakening and panic attacks...at the lowest dosage of 37.5 mg when added on to Lexapro. Never again."

Dantheman93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018