User Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Effexor XR

K · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 19, 2020

“I knew my IBS was directly affected by my anxiety and depression, so I went to a doctor to be put on meds to help with that. Effexor worked wonders! I was able to put back on the 40lbs. I had lost from being sick ALL the time. And zero panic attacks. It's not as good at helping my depression, but it is noticeably better still. The only issue I have with it is that it absolutely WRECKS my stomach if I miss even a single dose, so I have to be really careful about that. But I mean, it's made my life so much more liveable that I consider that a small issue.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2020

“On effexor for 2 weeks anxiety has increased when I take it. Hoping it will kick in soon Not many side effects.”

Sara Jane · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2020

“Effexor is helping me calm down and it’s helping my relationship with my boyfriend. I got put on it for my agitation, irritability , anxiety, social anxiety. I no longer am snappy and argumentative. I know people say it’s hard to withdraw off but it’s saving my life and I plan to stay on it for a long time. Thumbs up”

Maxxi · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2020

“Put on lots of weight on this tablet Apart from that it’s pretty good”

aimeejuniper February 25, 2020

“I'm a 27 y/o female, good health but have GAD and MDD. I began taking Effexor XR when I began having panic attacks while driving. I began with 37.5mg for 4 weeks, then upped to 75mg after that. After 3 months, I began to sweat in my sleep despite not feeling overheated. I began to suffer from sexual dysfunction, lost my libido and had difficulty reaching an orgasm (neither had been an issue previously). My appetite increased and I gained 25lbs in 1 year. I also noticed I felt very "flat" emotionally. I wrote this because I feel like positive reviews are lacking. Effexor absolutely improved my anxiety. The side effects were unpleasant but not severe. Stopping this medication suddenly can cause withdrawal symptoms, so when I switched to a new one, I slowly tapered off it by opening the capsule and counting the granules, reducing them by about 4 per day. I did not suffer from any "brain zaps" or any withdrawal symptoms.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 12, 2020

“I’ve tried many different drugs for anxiety and depression, the last being Lexapro which did nothing to help me. Gave Effexor a try and I’ve noticed a big difference. I’m able to go out in public more without getting anxious, I rarely get depressed, and my mood has improved tremendously. No side effects. Just be careful to take it every single day and don’t miss a dose; my nurse practitioner said people feel terrible if they do”

Marq · Taken for 10 years or more January 2, 2020

“I have been on it for over 20 years now. It works very well. The only issue I have is it's not a cure.”

Lazapro · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2019

“This medication Effexor was a life saver for me. I took prozac 20 Mg. It worked for a week or 2 and then I had to raise the dosage, until I got to 60 mg. My depression was treated but my anxiety was not. I kept having anxiety attacks every now and then. It depends on what form of anxiety u have. Prozac helped with not panicking in stressful situations but did not help with my fear thoughts. With norepinephrine things drastically changed. Though, when I raised from 37.5 to 75 mg my anxiety raised waaaay up. If u want to start at 75 mg make sure u take half and the other half at least after 4 hours until u build up tolerance. Hope it helps u too!!!”

Laurenressel12 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 13, 2019

“Effexor has been a life saver for me! I tried Zoloft first because that’s what worked for a lot of my friends. Zoloft made me very sick so I was switched to Effexor XR and I feel amazing!!’ I had been living my life after having kids, but sick to my stomach 24/7 and having majorly anxiety attacks. I’d have to leave work but no more. I still get anxious here and there but am able to cope with it now! Effexor isn’t for everyone but it worked and still works for me. The only thing I can say is a down side to it is I don’t always sleep as well as I did before starting it but life could be worse.”

Andrea D. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 25, 2019

“I started taking Effexor 75mg for my anxiety at 22yrs old when lexapro and Prozac were no longer working for me. I immediately felt relief after I started taking it. I am very bad at taking it at the same time everyday/remembering to take it every single day and have experienced some of the most horrendous withdrawal symptoms. I start to notice it about 6-7 hours after a missed dose. I’ll start to feel off balance, headache, fatigue, flu-like feeling, vomiting, etc. This drug is amazing if you remember to take it but it is definitely something you need to be on long-term. Highly addictive & horrible withdrawal symptoms.”

Jay T · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2019

“DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG I have had very bad anxiety for about 2 years now and I have been given venlafaxine one time to see if it helps. It was the worse experience ever I took 1 capsule and experienced problems for 2 maybe more weeks. I had the worst anxiety ever the scariest dreams and my vision on life was completely different I felt sick for about 3 days my vision was blurred and I barely remember anything. It's been about 9 months since then and I still think about the horrific time I had”

Peter · Taken for 10 years or more October 26, 2019

“Been on the drug effexre for 19 years. Not one relapse. A life saver for me”

SLilly · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 20, 2019

“Effexor was a life saver for me Back in 2010. I had tried a couple of ADs for anxiety and depression with poor results. 150 mg Effexor and 300 mg Seroquel Prolong finally did the trick for me. I had 8 wonderful years and slowly reduced my dosage. Was on 50 mg Effexor for a year and 50-150 mg Seroquel. Finally quit Effexor in the spring of 2018. Started getting stressed a couple of months later - under a lot of pressure at work- so I decided to start Effexor again. This time all hell broke loose. I immediately had horrible side effects on 37,5 mg. Titrated to 225 mg but good effects of Effexor never kicked in. After 11 months with no positive effects I cross-tapered to Cymbalta. 5 months later no success. Feel much worse than before reinstating Effexor. Losing hope.”

Rhonda October 16, 2019

“This stuff is bad. On Effexor I could not think, could not eat, could not sleep, over stimulated and felt like I was having a 24 hour panic attack, and its highly addictive! More big pharmaceutical pushing highly addictive garbage.”

KAP · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2019

“Doctor wanted to take me off Xanax and try Effexor. It was the XR 37.5 dose. I took one dose and that was the worst experience I ever had--just about landed in the emergency room. Awful headache, severe dizziness and nausea, I tried walking to the bathroom and I didn't know where my feet were landing and my heart was racing. Thank goodness I only took one dose if this. Obviously everyone cannot tolerate it. Xanax it is for me (.5 mg once or twice daily). Never ever had any side effects from that.”

JJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2019

“Female (45) taking Effexor for about 6 months. I used to be on Celexa but my anxiety was getting worse. I didn't have any problems getting used to Effexor like others have. After having been on it for 6 months, I'm back to having severe anxiety, so I'm being switched to something else. Weaning off hasn't given me the same problems other people have. I'm not working right now, though--if I was working I'd probably notice the withdrawal symptoms much more than I do. I've noticed sweating, feeling dehydrated, and an achy feeling all over.”

Believer · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 3, 2019

“Effexor has been great. I had been on 25-50 mg of zoloft for panic attacks and high anxiety and it had worked for a few years but then after I went off for 4 months and started getting them again, when I got back on it I got the worst morning panic with nausea, vomiting and IBS for three months. I didn't want to switch but it was getting so bad I'd have anxiety for most of the work day and was afraid I might have to miss work. It was a good thing my cubicle was right next to the bathroom during that time! Finally I told my pcp I was ready to try something else and she prescribed this Effexor ER. She told me to stop the zoloft and start 37.5 MG of ER venlafexine. It was night and day. No more panic attacks and no more morning nausea and vomiting and anxiety and IBS. It's been over a year and I still like it. I took it in the morning at first but switched it gradually to night because I sleep better that way.”

Worstexperianceever September 25, 2019

“I was prescribed Effexor 37.5mg ER by my Dr to help with menopause symptoms (mood swings hot flashes etc) and I have mild generalized anxiety disorder she said it would help also. I took 1 pill at 10pm. By 11pm I had the worst anxiety I've ever experienced, shaking, hot/cold flashes, nausea, diarrhea, muscle rigidity, complete loss of appetite. I tried to ride it out. By day 4 I still had the symptoms and ended up inpatient psychiatric. It's been 9 days now since I took just the 1 pill and I'm still dealing with these side effects. My anxiety is higher than I've ever felt it. I feel like I'm in constant fight or flight state. I'm having multiple panic attacks a day. I still can't eat or drink much. I've lost 12 lbs in a week. The psychiatrist at the hospital said this drug at this dose can induce an "anxiety episode" in some people. How long this episode is gonna last, no idea but I hope it goes away soon.”

JB78 · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2019

“On 150mg dose for social anxiety and depression. I take the 75mg tablets twice a day. It works better on my depression and somewhat effective for my social anxiety. Still too early to tell if it will work. Mild tiredness and trouble sleeping at night is only side effect that I notice with an occasional nausea if I don't eat small meals every 4-6 hours. The only time that I got scared was when I started Effexor and stopped the Prozac. I had a major panic attack for two days but after that it subsided. So I'm back on my Effexor. At least now I notice some improvements in my mood compared to taking Prozac which didn't work for me.”

Maddie · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2019

“Took this before bed and woke up at 3:30am nauseous, bad diarrhea, sweating, and shaking. Had no appetite all day and was dehydrated. Tried napping and heart was pounding just laying there. The next day I had a migraine up until day 3 and felt awful. Will not take again. Should be called Sideffexor.”

Ashley · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

“I started the Effexor the was prescribed by my doctor for anxiety. By the second dosage, I felt nauseous. The nausea I could handle as it wasn’t severe, but what came next was not. From my elbow to my hands were weak and tingling. I experienced a severe brain fog, I couldn’t think properly, couldn’t respond. It was so severe, that my husband had to pick me up from work. I was dizzy and lightheaded and almost fell going down a stairwell. With time it did get better, but subsequently I had a migraine. Today (next day) my arms are still weak, my cognitive abilities are, better but there is still a delay. I was told by my doctor it would be in my system for an additional 48 hours.”

Tbh · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 12, 2019

“I took it for a few weeks and couldn’t come off, possibly the first time in my life I’d experienced real panic. You need to be aware that you may well be on this drug for the rest of your life, it is so incredibly addictive. Withdrawal is the worst”

ATTORNEYSA · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

“I have been on Effexor for just over a month and I can say that I'm rather surprised. I am a 25 year old male, who has been on antidepressants for almost 12 years (unfortunately I was diagnosed with depression and a social anxiety disorder at a very young age). Prior to being prescribed Effexor - I was on zoloft for a few years. Zoloft worked, but as time went on, started to loose it's effectiveness. With Effexor I have more energy and feel that I can get through the day. I hope this medicine continues to work for anyone suffering <3”

L · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 1, 2019

“I have been on Effexor for the past six months after weening off of Zoloft, which I had been on for years and it seemed to have lost effectiveness. I’ve had a generally positive response to it- I am a female late twenties on 150 MG/day extended release. Dry mouth and decreased libido are side effects I have experienced, but they are mild and aren’t a big enough deterrent to get off the med. I definitely can notice a huge improvement in my mood overall, even though I was prescribed this for anxiety it seems to help my depressive symptoms a bit more, with the exception of the week before my period. Just don’t miss your dose for more than 3-4 hours because that’s when I start feeling weird withdrawal side effects! Didn’t get that with Zoloft”

Mj June 22, 2019

“I was absolutely hysterical, I got so anxious and depressed, I wanted to end my life. I put off taking medication for so long. I was hesitant to take effexor due to the reviews. Now that I’ve been on it for almost a month I already feel better. It changed my life, I’m not anxious and I’m able to go out and do things. I do get dry mouth, insomnia, tiredness, and my appetite decreased.”