User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Anxiety

"I suffer from GAD and I have to say this medication has changed my life.. I am much happier and handle situations better. I only take 37.5 one per day usually in the morning and that works for me. The only side effects was insomnia In the beginning but now I feel calm and relaxed and I have great nights sleep. I wake up energized and wanting to start my day. This medication with therapy has done wonders. Ignore the negative and try for yourself . Reading reviews I was so scared to start this medication but I thank God I gave it a try."

Tip89 (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

"So, I was a 18 years old perfectly healthy and in good shape, but I was severely depressed and with some emotional issues. So I went to therapy (good decision) but she told that I was supposed to take something for my mood, so I started effexor, and have almost no side effects from it but also didn't really improved my mood, so I went to the highest dosage since I didn't had side effects, and after 8 months on it i just went cold turkey(i know) and basically i had over 100 side effects ever since its been over a year and i still have side effects, i could not sleep for days, i went hypomaniac, and MUCH more to this day i feel pain and numbness in my body and severe coordination and cognitive problems nothing seems to get better."

Fernandorna September 22, 2016

"Started effexor after citalopram stopped working for anxiety and depression, been taking it for 3 years, was up to 150mg, tapered down to 37.5mg, slowly over 6 months, mainly because of weight gain, and feeling more calm, No problems in reducing, but am reluctant to go lower in case of a relapse, has anyone lost weight after reducing the dose, or do you have to come off completely ? I rate effexor, except for weight gain, and sweating, the only med that has made me function normally,"

lily 1 September 11, 2016

"No pill is for everyone, but this medication honestly changed my life. I am 23 and have been on it since I was 17. Before it, I was miserable, couldn't focus, and constantly wanted to die. I struggle with GAD and Depression, and this medication has honestly been the only thing to make it bearable. My life feels manageable, and I know I can conquer anything. I interact with people in a way that represents who I really am, not in a way that reflects my anxieties and insecurities. I almost didn't finish high school before Effexor and I now have a BA in Political Science and am heading off to law school. Like I said, this medication isn't for everyone, but it honestly changed my life and I will forever be grateful."

EmilyMichelle September 11, 2016

"Do not take this medication! There is NO other medication for depression/anxiety that has withdrawal symptoms that put you in excruciating pain! You become a person without feelings, almost hard hearted on this medication! Please please have your Dr. try other meds first! I am so angry that I trusted my psychiatrist! I feel betrayed! Thank God I have my general Doctor who is spending more time with me to help me get off of this medication!"

unhappy4effexor September 8, 2016

"I told myself I'd come back and write a review if I liked Effexor, because people tend to only write reviews if they don't like it, and that's scary for someone who is trying to figure out whether to try it or not. This was the first medication I've tried to treat my chronic GAD. Before Effexor, I was living in a state of constant panic and anxiety. It was really awful, and I felt like I couldn't continue much longer without completely breaking down. I'm now 3 months in, and it has helped so much. I am still myself and I have anxious thoughts, but there is no longer that sense of panic and overwhelming fear. I feel like I did pre-anxiety and its wonderful. Everyone reacts differently, but have hope! Medication can work!"

Jon Sullivan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2016

"Stay away from sharp objects!! 2 months on 37.5MG Effexor - feels like my attention is limited to a single train of thought. I can't do more than one thing at once without risking personal injury. Clumsily shredded myself bloody more than ever in my life while on this med. Doors and fridge cut my feet open because I literally cannot pay attention to the fridge door if I'm looking at the contents of fridge or don't see screen door closing on me while carrying something in from outside. Haven't been cooking much but the one time I tried I burned green beans in the pan. It makes me sleep 16h/day. If I get up before 2pm I can't trust myself to drive. 2 close calls were enough. Social anxiety is worse than before. Only 37.5 MG!! Need a change"

gottashare4u (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

"I was put on 150 mg daily of Effexor after having a mental breakdown brought on by stress and severe insomnia. I did not find the medication helped at all other then to cause weight gain. Worst of all, I experienced horrific withdrawal symptoms coming off it. I started to wean off it in May, reducing the dose to 75mg/day. I halved it to 37.5mg a month ago and my Dr said I would be good to stop it after two weeks. Within 24 hours of taking my last pill I experienced dizziness, nausea, insomnia, and brain zaps. I could barely function. Turns out the 'half-life' of Effexor is one of the shortest out there. I had to take a short 2 week course of 10 mg Prozac (much longer short life) to come off Effexor. Horrible!!"

ByGrace2016 August 31, 2016

"This may be an isolated incident, but I only took this medication for 6 weeks and had horrible memory loss. I was unaware that there is a 44% chance of memory loss with this medication. I am trying to work my way back to my old self, who used to have a photographic memory. I highly suggest if you have severe anxiety like I do, do not take this medication."

X August 29, 2016

"I have tried zoloft and cymbalta. All equally effective in my anxiety level but I find effexor has been the best. While I still don't have a ton of energy, I was a zombie on the other two. My libido is back to normal and I'm not hungry 24/7. Zoloft would be my second choice, except I needed to nap everyday and I was always hungry. Cymbalta was very difficult to get off of and I was also very tired. Negative effects of effexor include insomnia - i have urges where i HAVE to get up- but usually melatonin and reading, and NO electronics before bed help that (or xanax as needed.) I also sweat a lot more on it. But having more energy and more libido make it worth it. I have to take a beta blocker because I speak infront of people."

Social phobia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2016

"I have taken Effexor for twenty-five years. I take 75 milligrams at night. I sleep like a baby even though I am 70 and most women my age have some sleep issues. I actually was diagnosed with adult ADD and prescribed the medication for that. I also had anxiety, a hair trigger anger problem, and no social filter. My psychciatrist didn't tell me all that, just that I had ADD. I could accept meds for that. The Effexor started to work within a week and I would not be without it. I like myself a lot better today than before Effexor."

Hudit (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2016

"I took this pill one day and that was all I needed to, I took it at 5:30 pm and was fine, until I wanted to sleep. I tossed and turned all night, my heart racing, I was literally so tired but my mind just would not shut down. Those things they call brain zaps are terrifying, DO NOT TAKE THIS."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

"So here is my experience with Effexor, I hope it helps you make an informed decision. I started taking it two months ago as a change to the Citalopram I have been on for over 5 years. I suffer from anxiety. The first three weeks, improvement in my mood, better temper control also. Week three, the insomnia kicked in and strange urges to HAVE to get up and move around. Week four, Serious shortness of breath on exertion, ringing ears, lip numbness and malaise. Turns out I was allergic to it! Doc tool me off it, immediately, then the withdraw began. OH my G*#. The worst experience of my life. Paranoia, hallucinations, panic attacks (my first ever), breathing trouble, the list goes on. If you research the withdraw, it's not worth it!"

Mil-fire guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2016

"I started taking velaflaxine (Effexor) about 2 1/2 weeks ago I started on half of a 75 mg pill and now have moved up to a full pill. At first you experience some side effects like loss of appetite, fast heart beat, hot flashes and a little numbness down below. But everyone is different and everyone reacts differently. After almost three weeks of taking it I already feel relief. My anxiety is getting better and better, and I sleep so much better at night cause I can actually relax for once! I'm looking forward to seeing how much better I feel after two months of taking it. If you are willing to pressure through the rough side effects then the benefits are so worth it!"

Cmv2550 July 19, 2016

"Brilliant"

Missymoo 64 June 21, 2016

"I had been struggling with OCD and anxiety and rage issues for a very long time. I decided to get help after my daughter was born. I was put on a myriad of different pills until Effexor. It calmed me down, and my OCD is almost non-existent. But miss a dose and you will be sick like you've never felt before! Think of the worst flu you ever had...it's kinda like that but worse. And all the anxiety comes back in full force. It has really helped me to function, but I would never have gotten on it if I knew how bad it was to get off it. Try everything else before taking this. It will help but at what cost?"

Ndec May 18, 2016

"Hi, my name is Jess. I've had anxiety/panic attacks and depression for over 20 years now. My anxiety was so bad I had to be homeschooled. I've taken Prozac, paxil and neither worked and had bad mood swings on paxil. My doctor suggested something newer, it was effexor. He said he has had good results with it. So I tried it, heck I would of tried anything to make my anxiety go away. I was on effexor (75mg) for 10 years and it worked for me. No side effects except being tired at first. No more anxiety/panic attacks or depression but maybe a very few short episodes. I was happy and enjoying things I was held back from for so many years. Effexor changed my life, literally. If I did miss a dose I felt tired, depressed and the "zaps.""

anxiety loves me May 9, 2016

"I was having bad anxiety for a couple of months. I was unable to sleep, and was pacing the floors a lot. I got on a low dose of Effexor (37.5mg), and my anxiety disappeared within a week. I did not have many side affects. I got a little sweaty the first week, and felt a little foggy. That went away quickly."

JCT62 May 7, 2016

"So I started Effexor XR tonight for my anxiety that I deal with and let me just say NEVER EVER AGAIN!! For two hours I felt fine, went to bed and suddenly was awaken by intense nausea so I sat up to wake my child's father(who stayed the night since we didn't know how this new med would affect me) and as soon as I sat up my stomach came up. There was no wait time. It's been five hours since I took it. And I've been up throwing up for the last 45 mins. Not taking this crap again. I would honestly rather have be dealing with a panic attack at this point rather than this I can't even blink my eyes without vomiting crap!"

Lilbit1993 May 1, 2016

"In my 25 years of being put on various medications, this is--by far--the best. I suffered from anxiety and PTSD, which (of course) would lead to depression. I'd contend with crying spells and outbursts of anger. The first few days of taking 75 mg/day, I did have some side effects (such as racing thoughts, sleeplessness, etc.), but my body adjusted quickly. I now wake up every day feeling more hopeful, and with ZERO crying spells. I am still ME, and never feel like a zombie. I am still aware of my surroundings and what annoys me, yes, but my RECOVERY from processing those things is much faster, and I bounce right back. In other words, my perspective of things is normalized, and my days aren't ruined. Wonderful stuff!"

cartoonist13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

"I tried Effexor XR after most of the SSRIs I recently tried gave me diarrhea for more than just the initial adjustment period. I tend to be more on the anxious side of life and the SSRIs seemed to treat that better than Effexor, but I cant be in the bathroom all day. 75mg/day works well for me currently. I was on 150mg for a year which worked well, but then suddenly my anxiety and obsessive thinking was coming back.The doc upped dose to 225 and I got way worse, so we lowered it and boom. way better. "less is more" worked for me this time. Effexor XR also has less side effects for me regarding fatigue, hunger, weight gain and sexual side effects. as a woman this is a huge perk. mental health- the struggle is real! Good luck!"

allison_G (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016

"My experience was a waking nightmare... I was started on a low dose to treat anxiety.. It didn't help at all. My DR kept slowly increasing my dose while I suffered from extreme anxiety with no relief.. I had weight gain, night sweats, oddly long menstrual cycles, cramps, the urge to drink alcohol. I went to another Dr that said the dose needed to be at least 225 to treat anxiety I was on 125 so he increased dosage. This made the side effects much worse and the weight gain. I didn't care about anything, I wasn't myself. I decided after 20 lb gain to stop and got tapered off. I became extremely ill it was like having the flu everyday for weeks. I've been completely off a few weeks now I have headaches still and extreme anger like rage."

Should be illegal (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2016

"I don't normally review anything but this time I thought I thought I should especially considering most people only tell you the negative experiences of a drug. I really didn't know my anxiety was bad until now. I know I had bad "nerves" is what I call it and I'm normally on edge and get paranoid about almost everything especially my relationships. I got so used to being anxious that it became normal to the point that I forgot what the other side felt like. Strange but true statement. Effexor has allowed me to handle just about anything thrown at me. Yes I get a little anxious but over all I'm ok. I did have bad gas and a headache but it got better totally worth a try."

Candy_cane April 1, 2016

"In response to Natalie- why didn't your doctor wean you off this medication? By just cutting your dose by half-if that's what he/she did here, no wonder you're experiencing such horrific side effects - speak up! My daughter just started taking this for panic disorder brought about by MIf the RX only comes in capsule form at those two doses- then there needs to be advocacy to change this so there is a way to wean off this med! So many people report negative side effects- withdrawal shouldn't be torture and you might need to find a more compassionate doctor- it astonishes me the lack of empathy some professionals have- considering their career choice- if they can't be compassionate, they should stay AWAY from patients and stick to reearch!"

Jadia (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"I have very bad anxiety, moderate panic attacks, and horrible night terrors. I just couldn't take it anymore. This was the first medication I tried. It has helped me so much, I can't even explain it to you. Yes, I still have anxiety but it is mild now. I almost never have nightmares anymore. As soon as I miss a dose, I get light headed, dizzy, and feel like crap. Has very bad withdrawls. I have almost no side efffects. This medicine has been great for me. Been on it almost a year. I am at 150mg."

BugsBunny89 March 15, 2016