User Reviews for Effexor XR

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Anxiety

"I was taking Celexa for anxiety and when that stopped working effectively after three years my doctor put my on Effexor. I cannot express enough how much I disliked this drug. I took it at a high dose for a while and decided to cut the dose in half because I just felt “numb”. And then I crashed. I felt so many emotions in one day, I felt like a different person. All of my personal relationships were failing because I was just pushing people away. I’ve never felt depression before and I constantly felt alone in the dark with no light in sight. I honestly had no care in the world if I lived or died. So I stopped all together. I would rather feel my old anxiety than any of the negative emotions I felt on Effexor. By day three with no meds I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. I’m now at a week clean and I’m starting to feel like me again. I will never touch this medication again."

Tori September 27, 2018

"I been on this medicine for two days due to peri menopause which is causing me to have blackout panic attacks. Dr started me on 75mg once a day. The second (no joke) I took this medication I was having a panic attack. It had almost an instant effect. The first day I was a bit dizzy and had diarrhea. Woke up in the middle of the night having hot flashes. But no anxiety what so ever. Second day I took it at the exact same time. Not one single side effect. This drug is a life saver and changer. I also have ADHD and been on Adderal XR 15mg for 18 years. I was worried about how these two pills would work together. All I can say is WOW!! Effexor XR and Adderal Xr together couldn't be a better combo. I'm a completely new person. I wake up and take my Adderall and then about dinner time I take Effexor. I am now calm, have no more agitation and anxiety due to the Effexor, plus I can stay focused and alert all day due to my Adderall. I couldn't feel better. These two medications work hand and hand."

Nicole4477 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

"My doctor prescribed this for ongoing Anxiety, and it was HORRIBLE!! I took one 37.5mg dose at around 9:30 pm. At 2:30 am I was jolted awake from a bad dream. I never have any trouble sleeping before but I suddenly had an overwhelming feeling that I needed to get up and go somewhere. I paced around my house not understanding why I couldn't stop moving. My heart was pounding and my body felt electrified. I had this cold sensation that felt like ice water in my veins but I was sweating profusely. My mind was racing but I felt confused over what was happening. I finally woke my husband up, and he had to sit up with me for over an hour until the worst of it passed. The next morning I had nausea and felt like I had the flu, shaking and chilled. This was probably the worst I've felt in my life and although I've never done meth I imagine it feels somewhat similar to how I felt. Please beware when trying this medication for the first time!"

CA Mom of 4 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

"Did not do much for chronic anxiety or depression, only really felt effects when forgot to take a dose. Very drastic withdrawal was felt."

Oneocinna (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2018

"Effexor is the best thing ever. I suffer depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia. I've been on other medicines and never felt as good as I do now. Now life isn't always a bed if roses, but I can deal with things way better than I used to then I'm happy. People need to realize it takes time to get in your system to work and for about 3 weeks you may feel effects. But don't give up."

LOR (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2018

"I am a 31 year old female and work as a lawyer. Effexor is the first medication I tried. I took it for 7 years and it worked great. I decided to stop a few years ago, because I thought it was affecting my libido. The reality is that I was just in a bad relationship and I wasn’t attracted to the man I was with. Anyhow, I tried all sorts of medications afterwards including Buspirone, Zoloft and Pristiq. I am now back to Effexor, the only medication that ever worked with my anxiety. It is just day 1, but all I can say is that for 7 years, it worked magic. Most of my anxiety symptoms were gone. When off Effexor, anxiety slowly came back and manifested itself in the sneakiest ways.... it just takes over your life to a point where you can’t funtion anymore. I was at a point where I literally couldn’t function. Now I have hope. Finally I can go back to normal and enjoy life. I have a wonderful family, boyfriend and a challenging & interesting job."

NoName June 15, 2018

"I am a long time general anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic sufferer. I went on effexor XR since celexa stopped working for me. I love it. I feel better, I feel more motivated. I've lost 25lbs because I am out now out walking and just living my life with no worry or anxiety anymore. I still have a little but nothing like it was. My husband says I am so different for the better. We are so happy since I took it. My husband saids laughingly thank you effexor. lmao. I have to agree. It works for me."

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2018

"Hello everyone. Ok I posted May 19 and this is my update. So I stopped sertraline and started taking Effexor 75 mg capsules. The Doctor advise to stop sertraline slowly so the first week I took Effexor 75 mg and half of sertraline which is 50 mg. The second week I took Effexor 75 mg and setraline 25 mg. And now just Effexor . And now just 75 mg of Effexor (venlafaxine ) . I feel so much better . My anxiety has almost stopped and I remind my self to take deep breaths . I'm sleeping better and I’m pushing my self lot more. I refuse to sleep during the day and all that is helping me. I’m posting this because I know how it feels to feel helpless. So everyone keep pushing through this. Keep your head up, keep praying and keep positive. Love you all and good luck!!!!"

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

"I have taken depression medicine few times in my life. I was on sertraline 50mg the first times and then it had to be 100 mg. This last time I took it like 4 months and it never kicked in, my doctor prescribed me Effexor 75mg capsules . This is my second day on them I feel little different I have a feeling they will work. "

Ypiscis (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2018

"I have taken sertraline before on and off but when I get better I stop the medicine. First time 50 mg and then 100 mg . I have been depressed 5 times but now I been taking sertraline since January and it doesn't work. My doctor recommended me to switch to Effexor 75 mg capsules . Please wish me luck. I’m a mother of 2 and I need to function."

GY May 18, 2018

"I tried Effexor XR 75mg twice per day some time ago, in 2016 - but didn't like it so stopped after a couple of weeks or so. I don't recall any side effects. Lately I have just been having bad thoughts, sleeplessness and anxiety including vertigo and dream like states to almost passing out as well as attacks of sudden depression. I started again on 75mg once per day, and I feel much more level and like I can deal with things. Still finding my place on it, getting my concentration and focus back, hopefully before my next assignment is due ... sigh, but I am having a positive outcome thus far."

JR (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

"Gave me hypoglycemia upon wakening and panic attacks...at the lowest dosage of 37.5 mg when added on to Lexapro. Never again."

Dantheman93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

"I have been on and off this medication for years - it has been the one that has worked best for me always. I will start to feel I need more and try something else, but I always come back to Effexor XR. I take 37.5 mg. I have NEVER had a zap or cried when going off the medication or forgetting a dose, although I am on a low dose. It is what makes me feel the closest to normal of all the medications I have tried. I do have to say that Paxil was the first med I ever tried and it totally removed all anxiety, which was what I needed at that time, but I put on 40 lbs with it and have struggled with that weight ever since. I have come to understand that we all need a wee bit of anxiety in our lives or else what would be the catalyst to get out of bed or work out or be a better person. But when the anxiety becomes unhealthy some of us we need the help that only a medication can give us."

Gergerbear (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2018

"People should say if they are male or female. It works differently on them. I think it works better for male"

Lisa March 30, 2018

"Had panic attacks for 21 years and eventually put on Effexor. What a relief would not give these up for all the tea in China fantastic"

Carmo (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2018

"I developed severe IBS-D and OCD anxiety symptoms building into agoraphobia, which became progressively worse, to include suicidal thoughts and led to a legitimate nervous breakdown. My doctor prescribed Effexor supplemented for a short time with Clonazepam to get through this period and I was able to within a few weeks. An overlooked effect of this drug is that my stomach issues improved CONSIDERABLY (75mg), while Zoloft had made it worse. I highly recommend this for anyone with IBS-D or OCD type anxiety symptoms. It is very difficult to wean off of, but I am now pregnant and have come down to 37.5mg by going down 12mg every 2 weeks with minimal side effects. A perinatal specialist recommended I not completely go off, just wean down. Though the baby has not been born yet, I had a comprehensive ultrasound done to check for birth defects and everything looks very healthy. Good luck and I hope this helps!"

Kris March 5, 2018

"I have been on this drug for 2 weeks and am already in love with it. I feel like it’s balancing out something in my brain that has been broken a long time. I feel like if I’m not constantly struggling and fighting to lose weight the pounds just pile on. When I stop exercising while sick I gain everything back. I also have depression and anxiety. Most pills make me feel like a zombie. So since starting this drug I have lost almost ten pounds in 2 weeks. And I haven’t even tried! I am less hungry, like if I’m not hungry food doesn’t even look good. I was on vacation for one of the weeks I’ve been on Effexor and didn’t eat the healthiest, but did eat less. I haven’t exercised either, except for a few days here and there. I know it takes longer to see the real effects of the drug, but I’m already less anxious and the weight is just falling off. No bad side effects except a little constipation and a slight head ache the first week."

Rose March 1, 2018

"I took one dose Effexor and stopped because it’s bringing me to my knees and can’t sleep for a day now"

Ibrahimi January 26, 2018

"I'll just rate this middle. It helped with my mood and anxiety some but at some point I started getting side effects my psych said happen to people in withdrawal - but I was taking the dose I was prescribed everyday, which was 150mg after being 75mg. It started getting really hard to get up and I always felt like I was beaten by a bag of oranges everywhere every night at some point upon waking. I'd want to wake up and even try to roll onto the floor but opening up my eyes and getting up were just... hard.I can't remember exactly what it was like but I truly did want to wake up. I would also just feel confused about simple things and had to really try to think to tell if I was sleepy at times or had low blood sugar since I have issues with *low* sugar levels"

nicknamerd001 January 3, 2018

"I have been on Effexor for 3 years, it was a god send. My life was at its darkest and had many sad events happening at the same time, death of my mother, mother in law and beloved dog within a year. I was transferred from my job, and felt a great amount of anxiety and stress. Feeling of fear and dread on a daily basis, and feeling like I was having a heart attack many different times including at a family Christmas dinner. I was a 54 year old male, father of two that could not be weak, I was counted on by many loved ones, but felt like there was nothing I could do. So I met with my doctor, she was very open to what I was feeling and asked me what I thought was happening. I told her my symptoms and what I needed to do. Putting me on Effexor"

Lower/slower December 7, 2017

"I feel it's important to share because as a mom I was on line in the middle of the night searching for answers for my daughter. She is 13 and has anxiety. At 4 she had night terrors and then would pass out with any pain. She started to be difficult to take to school in 4th grade due to the fear of throwing up. She was put on Lexapro after my great hesitation as she was so young. It helped a little. When 7th grade hit her body was 2 seconds from fight or flight. Frequent panic attacks were long and exhausting. Long story short she had genetic testing done and Effexor was on her list of Med's that should work. She is like night and day after around four weeks. Its about finding the right med for you. Genetic testing is a start."

Jellybean04 November 30, 2017

"I suffered from depression and anxiety all through university. Effexor helped me finish my degree and I couldn't be happier. Everyone can react differently, just pay attention to your body."

Monst (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2017

"I was prescribed the Effexor ER for acute depression and anxiety after a death in the family and only took it for a month, but it made me sane and able to face every day as a teacher without crying randomly throughout the day. That was 2 years ago. I was prescribed it again for the same thing when my fiance passed away. I thought I was ready to stop taking it after 3 weeks but I found myself fighting back tears over small incidents like breaking a pen or a student asking me a simple question about the material. I started taking it again and it's been a life saver for me. I can still take the time to reminisce at night and grieve, although the tears seldomly come. If you aren't on it long then the withdrawal isn't bad at all. Hope this helps!:)"

AshleyLeAnna September 29, 2017

"I was prescribed this for onset of anxiety and possible hormonal mood swings. I was not told by my doctor how it would make me feel or how hard coming off of it would be. I took one 37.5 mg capsule and was horrified that I was given this. I woke up at 2am with an anxiety attack for about the first hour. It then went into being wired, nauseous, shakey, weak, chills and sweating. 11 years ago I quit using meth and this was awful that I felt like I was on it again. I laid in bed the entire day, wide awake and ill. I never took another dose! And even one pill took at least another full day to leave my system. My nervous system is obviously sensitive and I could not handle this medication at all."

Took once and never again!!! (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

"I started Effexor XR (generic version) about 3 weeks ago. I will admit, the bottle sat on my counter for a week before I took my first one, because the negative reviews terrified me. I finally took one and I am so glad I did! I have been on practically every anxiety/ depression med there is and had kind of lost hope with them working. I have also tried several different natural methods and they helped a little bit, but not nearly enough. I struggle mainly with anxiety and have for about 15 years now. By day 3, I had already noticed a difference. It's been 3 weeks & not only is my anxiety significantly better, I no longer have swollen joints or numbness in my hands & feet, I'm so much happier & way less stressed. Life changing!!"

momof4minions August 22, 2017