User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Anxiety

"I was prescribed this for onset of anxiety and possible hormonal mood swings. I was not told by my doctor how it would make me feel or how hard coming off of it would be. I took one 37.5 mg capsule and was horrified that I was given this. I woke up at 2am with an anxiety attack for about the first hour. It then went into being wired, nauseous, shakey, weak, chills and sweating. 11 years ago I quit using meth and this was awful that I felt like I was on it again. I laid in bed the entire day, wide awake and ill. I never took another dose! And even one pill took at least another full day to leave my system. My nervous system is obviously sensitive and I could not handle this medication at all."

Took once and never again!!! (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Effexor XR (generic version) about 3 weeks ago. I will admit, the bottle sat on my counter for a week before I took my first one, because the negative reviews terrified me. I finally took one and I am so glad I did! I have been on practically every anxiety/ depression med there is and had kind of lost hope with them working. I have also tried several different natural methods and they helped a little bit, but not nearly enough. I struggle mainly with anxiety and have for about 15 years now. By day 3, I had already noticed a difference. It's been 3 weeks & not only is my anxiety significantly better, I no longer have swollen joints or numbness in my hands & feet, I'm so much happier & way less stressed. Life changing!!"

momof4minions August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Effexor has been a Godsend for me. I went through every med out there to control my depression and anxiety attacks. I have been on it now for 11 years, and it's still working just fine. I'm not saying every day is roses and rainbows, but, if I can have 6 out of 7 days positive, it's a far cry better than 7 out of 7 horrible."

MudBug (taken for 10 years or more) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only take Effexor if you want to be on it for life. The withdrawal lasted 3 months for me. I think my body and mind are permanently damaged from this drug. It helped anxiety by numbing me but at the same time, made me more depressed at times."

AB92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication strongly relieved my depression/anxiety. After having a horrible experience with sertraline, I was wary of trying a new drug. However, this drug has been a lifesaver and I'm so glad I continued to try medication. It made me functional and able to enjoy life again (--: I did experience some side effects for the first two months, including: lack of appetite, weight loss, sleep disturbances, and difficulty achieving orgasm. These effects faded though, and now the only time I experience anything negative is if I miss a dose. Do NOT try this medication if you cannot adhere to a strict regimen. The withdrawal symptoms after missing a dose are unpleasant. That said, don't be afraid of this drug! Take it as directed and it works."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First off, I want to say I never take the time to write reviews however I do end up myself reading everyone else's so I hope this helps someone! I'm 22 Female, and for about 4 years suffered from anxiety. First it started off as panic anxiety then with failure of trying medications Prozac, Zoloft, and lexapro, my head was just so much worse. I could feel the chemical imbalance I began getting daily depression and anxiety to the point I'd worry 24/7. It ruined relationships & made me seem crazy. I finally got on Effexor last month. CHANGED MY LIFE. I feel NORMAL again. Happy, no anxiety, energetic. Only side effects were yawning, vivid dreams, & at first jaw pain. I highly suggest this with panic/daily anxiety/depression mix! My fears are gone"

THISCHANGEDMYLIFEFORTHEBETTER July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I recommend it for those who struggle with fears panic attacks social anxiety. It's really helpful after 1 month u will find it very helpful- it changed my life."

wisso (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on effexor 37.5 mg for 2 years. Worked wonders! I slowly weaned myself off it 6 months ago with minimal side effects. My anxiety has crept up on me again so I have decided to go back on it. I'm on a low dose but it works for me."

Sofieeeeee July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This changed my life. For 20 years I have been prescribed so many things and they all seemed to make me feel crazy. After having my son it got worse and I never wanted to leave the house. I have tried exercise, natural therapies, everything but I swear the chemicals are just not right in my head. I always felt lost, like every small thing mattered too much. I started on 75mg before sitting on 150mg for a year and a half. I have been so much happier and chilled out. Not worrying all the time. I have sleep apnea too so I am not sure if it's made my sleep worse as it's already pretty bad. My mind never stops. I felt myself losing control of my life lately due to huge stress at work and small kids. 225mg has evened me out and feel good :)"

NikNak7 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this pill once at 37.5mg to start my regimen. I got serotonin syndrome and was hospitalized. Steer clear from this medicine."

Tari567 April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It was efficient to have no anxiety. Except 2 weeks before my final exams, I"froze" = I had anxiety attacks. The big side effect was that it was extremely difficult to reach an orgasm / ejaculation + I lost more than 50 % of sex pleasure. Not good for couple life. Also I sweat A LOT during the night + big traumatizing nightmares if you forget your pills + I think I did sleep apnea + sleep paralysis. All those things at 75 mg. An other bad effect was that I became over confident / maniac. Also better to use Effexor than generics. The real brand seemed better for me"

kentum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am taking 150 mg. I began at 75 with little effects. At 150..honestly I feel more anxious, yet medicated. I have been taking Effexor for 6 months.I believe it does more for my depression, than for anxiety. My appetite is about the same. I seem to wake up irritated, and have to take Seroquel at night to sleep. I am going to give it a few more months, then will talk to my doctor about changing it, or adding something for anxiety."

Byrdy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Average-- not satisfied -- symptoms continue"

appy 53 March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I've been on Effexor for 2 weeks now. I feel a lot less anxious and generally happier. I've noticed some side effects, which I was expecting. So I thought I'd share my experience. Sweaty hands, blurred vision, nightmares, stomach ache / head ache, loss of appetite, weight loss, trouble sleeping, major increase of the the effects of alcohol. Those are just some of them."

firsttimeeffexor February 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before anyone agrees to taking Effexor (venlafaxine), please look at the withdrawl symptoms. The symptoms and experience has been likened to heroin or opiate addiction withdrawl. Please do your research and regardless of what your doctor tells you, THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES! I hope this helps someone."

TrySomethingElse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I believe this medication saved my life. I did feel extremely sleepy at first while my dosage was being raised but that went away quickly. I have a new feeling of wanting to get up and do things that wasn't there before. I also feel a sense of calm and peacefulness. The only side effects so far that were troublesome is constipation and sometimes it's hard to concentrate if someone is speaking."

Ceriidwen January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a nervous breakdown when I was 38, I literally felt as if I was going out of my mind. I had gotten pregnant when I was 21 and had terminated the pregnancy. I had a few years of depression with no meds . I left my Husband and two children and went and stayed with my Sister. She promptly took me to a Psychiatrist that put me on Effexor Xr 75 mg twice a day. He also gave me Xanax to help me with the breakdown. Effexor and my Dr. saved my life. I have been on Effexor for 22 years. I sometimes feel the depression coming back and I now still have lots of Anxiety. but I take my Xanax and it helps. I have switched to Prozac, Brintellix, Lexapro . None of them work. I always go back to Effexor. I pray daily that God will heal me ."

Coookie January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If you want to live life on a drug, this worked! But beware for when you come off! Best bet is to supplement naturally. Your body is lacking something that you can get in a better-for-you form. Withdrawal symptoms are terrible!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On Effexor for 14 years. 150 milligrams daily of the IR not the XR so I was taking 75mg 2 times per day. In retrospect, the medicine worked for me for about a year and the other 13 were just maintenance years. I also found since titrating from 150mg down to 9.75 mg that I feel human again. Effexor solved zero problems for me and it simply numbed me to feeling strong emotion. I also dropped 36 pounds since coming off of this medicine and feel a heck of a lot better. I have been titrating since July of 2015 and my last titration to zero will be in 2 weeks. As stated before, this stuff doesn't solve problems, it just numbs human emotion. Me, like many other folks need to learn how to accept our emotions. The answer isn't always a drug"

Eagles16 (taken for 10 years or more) January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Effexor on and off for the past 10 years. There is no better medicine for my anxiety than Effexor. The trick with Effexor XR is that you need to know exactly how to take it and not to take more than what you really need. I am now on a steady 37.5mg (minimum dose) and it works just fine. My doctor tells me that that low dose is hardly therapeutic but it works just fine for me. Of course I need to practice many anxiety relief techniques, especially the ones that help get you back to sleep, but overall, Effexor XR at 37.5 mg each morning takes the severe edge off my condition, I do the rest. It's a good mix."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered from severe panic disorder since I was 10. I am 45 now. I was on 200mg of Zoloft for 18 years. It took away my anxiety, but also took away any motivation. I was a zombie for all of those years and slept all the time. My new Dr. suggested switching to Effexor. I was afraid that it wouldn't work and my panic would come back. I was so wrong. After a week on 37.5 mg, my energy was back and anxiety still gone. I'm on 75mg. I can't believe I stayed on Zoloft so long! I can think and do things again! I don't sleep all the time. Everyone reacts differently. If this med doesn't work for you, I'm sure there is one that will. Wish I would've switched sooner. No side effects at all!"

What's anxiety? (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on this med for 5 years. Worked fine but not great. Stopped the panic attacks and gave me relief of every day nervousness that I was experiencing. Took months for the side effects to diminish when I first started taking it. What did not leave - insomnia, night sweats, lack of sex drive and poor orgasms (or no orgasms at all)."

B123456 December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had terrible anxiety driven depression my entire life. Effexor is an amazing medication. I waited until I was in my late 30's to do something about my anxiety/depression because of the stigma and fear of taking anything that might make me go crazy (the anxiety talking). I was a fool to wait so long. None of my fears materialized. As soon as I started the medication I began to feel better and better. I was also prescribed Kolozopin to act as a bridge to get through the anxiety until everything began to work and fall into place. Do NOTe wait hoping things will pass! I was convinced I was the worst case scenario and I got better. Just do it and get treated"

RichGB55 December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just an FYI. Not all anxiety medications work for everyone. This one works amazingly for me but works horribly for a good friend of mine. She took a test to determine what medication was best for her and was able to find the best match. If you are on a medication that isn't working don't give up hope, ask to do the test and try something until you find one that works for you. If your doctor isn't accommodating look for another one. Cheers."

feeling Way better December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Effexor XR for about 12 years now. I have spent my life fighting debilitating anxiety and depression. I would have panic attacks, horrible downward spiraling thoughts, extreme negativity, physical symptoms such as shaking, and could even lose touch with reality in severe episodes of depression. No amount of behavioral therapy and monitoring of a diet, exercise, or treatment plan would make a dent in my anxiety. Within weeks of taking Effexor XR, I finally had a chance to understand what it is like to live without terrible anxiety. I haven't really experienced any negative side effects, except perhaps hot flashes and night sweats. Life is finally manageable. I am thankful for every day I have, now, thanks to Effexor."

Nanci G December 3, 2016