What does extended release (ER) mean?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Apr 21, 2019.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Extended-release means the pill is formulated so that the drug is released slowly over time.
This has the advantage of taking pills less often. It also means that there may be fewer side-effects as the levels of the of drug in the body are more consistent in extended- release formulations.
Related Medical Questions
- Ativan vs Xanax - What is the difference?
- Klonopin vs Xanax - How are they different?
- How long does Xanax last for and stay in your system?
- Alprazolam Information for Consumers
- Alprazolam Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Alprazolam (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Alprazolam (153 questions, 489 members)