User Reviews for Xanax XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Panic Disorder
8.9

Summary of Xanax XR reviews 8.8 32 reviews

Reviews for Xanax XR

desert1 May 26, 2020

For Panic Disorder "Started Xanax XR 1mg about 10 years ago. I took it on and off for GAD. Then increased to 1mg plus 0.5mg if needed. Due to extended release my Dr kept telling me that it is not an addictive drug. Rubbish. Also tapering off is a problem because you can only do 0.5 mg at a time. So now after cancer and death in the family I had to stay on it for anxiety. New doctor (Psych) after 10 plus years. First word out of his mouth: I don't like prescribing Xanax XR that much. Great. Plus appointment are with telemedicine which stinks. The drug works but definitely dependence and tolerance. Any feedback would be nice"

Better · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 3, 2020

For Panic Disorder "Been on so many med Paxil buspirone Zoloft ‘ lexapro welbroten and five others with such bad side affects. Was taking Xanax er 0.5 in the morning then another in the afternoon still a little anxiety with no side effects. I called the new doctor being I moved to and she don’t want me on Xanax. I am not a Guinea pig ! So if I have to will travel to see my old doctor if I have to"

kyle637 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 7, 2019

For Panic Disorder "I use alprazolam ER. Have been on some form of benzo for panic issues 20-30 years. Xanax worked best. Problem was with it's relief time, # of hours it would work before needing to take another. I think the main issue was with my system's ability to notice the absence of fear because the medication would give me comfort by inebriation, feeling intoxicated. Which is fine for some people, but my system began needing more. Stopping would magnify my fear, bring on withdrawal, make life beyond miserable. I was given Xanax ER and my fear almost disappeared without intoxicating me; wish I could describe it more precise. All I know is I do not feel like my fear is being replaced by 2-3 pints of lager. It is gone almost always without having to increase medication. Pretty amazing for someone who has medication issues."

DEEDEE September 28, 2019

For Panic Disorder "I was on 0.5 mg (1/2 mg) 2x daily of regular Xanax for 15 years for panic attacks & anxiety disorder. It worked wonderfully and I had a very good quality of life with it. Suddenly last month, my psychiatrist of 20 years decided he no longer likes to prescribe regular xanax anymore. Well I had a very bad anxiety relapse when he prescribed me Xanax Extended Release 1 mg one time per day instead. It was horrible!! It felt like I didn't even take my xanax and I had waves of normalcy mixed with horrendous rolling anxiety & intermittent panic attacks daily, & nightly. What I didn't know was that it was only giving me .25 mg at a time 4 times per day. Well I was used to the 1/2 of a mg 2 times per day which was much stronger. People with anxiety or panic disorder notice every subtle detail and bodily change, so I started panicking when I felt like they weren't working. My anticipatory anxiety shot through the roof and I felt panicked for the past month. It has been a roller coaster ride!"

Mike · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 15, 2019

For Panic Disorder "I absolutely love this generic alternative to regular Xanax because I can attest to previously having urges and cravings to take more when I was on regular than I ever do for Xanax XR. SOO thankful for this drug, one of those XR formulations actually turned out to be useful in deterring abuse and misuse. I would recommend this 10x overs than any other benzodiazepines currently available on the market for anxiety. This drug has changed my life and it doesn't negatively impact it, nor do I find myself running out early. I actually have more than needed at time my medication was due for refill."

Handsomeguy · Taken for 10 years or more April 6, 2019

For Panic Disorder "I took Xanax for over thirty years and it worked great for my anxiety and depression . I had one problem with it I took another med that I should've used and there was extreme side effects. I asked for Xanax IR and the Dr. wouldn't prescript it, but after trying different meds failed, I was put on the XR and I am doing well after two months. I was just filled another Rx for XR and I am glad it works for about eight to twelve hours. I take two 3mg twice a day and I wouldn't switch for any other med on the market. As another person posted I forget to take the second dose."

sf100 · Taken for 10 years or more March 25, 2019

For Panic Disorder "I have been on Xanax XR (Extended Release) with IR (immediate realeas) as needed for about 15 years. Xanax XR seems like a different drug than IR because I don't notice that I've taken it, but it dramatically reduces the frequency of panic attacks. I started Depakote ER about 3 years ago and cut my daily XR dose from 2mg to 1mg because of sedation (the 2 drugs affect the same receptors). By themselves, XR and Depakote aren't strong enough for my social anxiety, for which I take additional IR and Propranolol. If I take enough IR to manage social stress, it affects my ability to recall basic information until it's out of my system. Still, Xanax XR and IR make it possible to function reasonably well."

Anthony · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 20, 2018

For Anxiety "This is the only medication that has ever worked for my anxiety attacks, however it does build a dependency in the body but at this point it’s the only thing that continues to work."

Big Easy · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 6, 2018

For Panic Disorder "When big pharma came out with XR my life has really changed, I'm no longer anticipating my next dose as a matter of a fact I've have forgotten to take my dose and be fine just waited until the next dose was required. I recommend anyone on regular Xanex to ask their doctor to change them to XR just to see if it's easier and less worrisome about the next dose"

rory224 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I’ve been taking Xanax XR for 6 months and it’s changed my life."

LineLife · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I was taking Xanax XR 1mg for Panic Disorder. I was having them so bad and couldn’t do my job, lost my job, lost my family and had to completely start over. The Xanax helped my panic attacks about 93% and I just had to tough out the rest. I took the medication for 2 months with a beta blocker. I had to take a DOT (Department of Transportation) drug urine test so I dropped the medication like a hat. Completely stopped taking it!! Oh my you talking about miserable!!!!! Not only was my anxiety so much worse, I was having constant panic attacks, extreme chest pains, couldn’t breathe, feeling lightheaded and muscles twitching. It was awful. After four days of it, I took a 1mg XR Xanax last night and I feel so much better. It truly helps with Panic Disorder. I take it exactly like the doctor says. No more or no less."

Jdschmid1189 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I think Xanax Xr is helpful for panic disorder and anxiety in general, but it doesn’t last a full 24 hours. It also helps with social anxiety. It is a little pricey without insurance, but if you can find some decent deals out there."

Collin11 April 7, 2018

For Panic Disorder "“I’m a proud United States Veteran, unfortunately I suffer from several mental illnesses due to service related issues. Panic disorder with agoraphobia being the worse and most debilitating one for me. I have been on almost ever SSRI, SNRI, MAOI, TCA’s, Beta blockers and antipsychotics. With nothing working but benzodiazepines! I have been on Klonopin, Valium, Ativan and Xanax They all work well but Xanax ER out of the Benzo family works best in my opinion. I was recently put on Xanax XR instead of Xanax IR and it works amazing for me! last through out the whole day nice and steady and I’m not even thinking about a next dose. Words cant describe how much it has changed my life in this past month. I take 1mg twice a day!"

Makaela January 23, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I would not be able to function on a daily basis"

Michael008 July 13, 2017

For Panic Disorder "I take 0.5mg every morning for almost the past 5 years. I use this in conjunction with Lexapro and Trazodone. After being a long time sufferer of anxiety, which then resulted into depression, I finally sought help. My doc prescribed the Xanax XR and it worked immediately, within days I felt good again. I was told that the Lexapro took about 6 weeks to work, which it did and I feel even felt better. Taking the Lexapro I think has helped me not to increase the dosage of the XR, which has helped me with my maintenance. The Trazodone ensures my full night of sleep. Although I don't like having to take all these meds, my life has improved significantly."

Gastroparesis Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2017

For Panic Disorder "I used to take Klonopin 1 mg once or twice a day as needed, but it would stress me out because I was always trying to figure out if my anxiety was bad enough to need it (I have OCD and general anxiety disorder) so a lot of times I really should have taken it I didn't, which resulted in way more anxiety for me. My psychiatrist changed me to Xanax XR 1 mg to take each morning to help me with that, which worked better, but didn't feel quite strong enough. So after that month, she increased it to Xanax XR 2 mgs each morning instead, and it's been wonderful. I'm much less anxious, and I used to be so anxious constantly that life was just miserable for me."

happypills8 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2017

For Panic Disorder "I take it at night in order to sleep because of a bad insomnia side effect from a MAOI. But now, if I miss just one night of the med, I wake up with paralyzing anxiety - chest tightness and heart palpitations. This drug does its job most of the time but it creates physical and psychological dependency and an AM hangover. I am looking to wean off of this soon once my new psychiatrist introduces other med changes. I see other users below saying they cut them in half - my psychiatrist said that is dangerous because of the XR properties. That is why the XR pills are not scored. I repeat - regular use of this med creates dependency."

McFly2020 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2017

For Panic Disorder "Switched from xanax 2mg 1/2 to one tab 2x daily (AN for anxiety, PTSD, panic disorder) to Xanax xr 1mg twice daily with .5 xanax once daily AN for panic. The only thing Xanax Xr did was give me waves of relief, along with waves of anxiety also. Went through my xanax script quicker as it helped greatly compared to XR & needed less. Alprazolam is meant for short acting Anxiety relief. XR is marketing scheme, cost 26$ comp. to 0$ for xanax(w/ ins) Clonazepam,or Diazepam is much more suited for longer acting benzos that help with anxiety. Xanax XR makes it more difficult to stop using & get addicted much easier,than safely taking your regular xanax, as can break em apart, if you feel you need less one day, one week, you can wean yourself easier"

Notsure134566 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2017

For Anxiety "Im not sure if its doing anything. No side effects. O.5 mg 2x daily."

capgeo1947 January 4, 2017

For Anxiety "I am impressed, after 31 years on IR xanax and alprazalom 1mg. 3 times a day and all the highs and lows about a year an a half ago I started to taper off. I would break a piece off of each one or sometimes split one in half. Seriously addicted and missing a dose would be brutal,I wanted off of these. It took a year to get to 1/2 mg 3 times a day and I felt the same but was leary of going lower. My Doctor prescibed me 1mg xr that I take at 9am and 1/2 mg ir to take as needed. Needless to say I was shocked that they last so long. I used to take my last dose at 1am and I don't even feel like I need it now. I don't want to wake in the middle of the night so I have for the past 3 nights I took 1/4mg and I think someday I'll be off completely."

Bob from St. Louis · Taken for 10 years or more May 10, 2016

For Anxiety "I was prescribed regular Xanax in the early 90's for anxiety and it changed my life - for the better. I was more productive than ever, my relationships got back to where they should be, and I was finally sleeping well. As time went on, my tolerance increased and I suffered significant peaks and valleys between doses throughout the day. Xanax XR was complete game changer for me - a completely different medication. I take it in the morning and feel great all day long and I sleep well. I still take the regular Xanax on occasion if my anxiety flares. The XR version is far better but much more expensive. The $120/mo is nothing when it comes to quality of life. ."

brett84c · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2016

For Anxiety "Tried this for a few days to help with anxiety instead of my usual Klonopin, at bedtime. Do not just switch to another benzo without transitioning. Had bad nightmares all night and was a wreak the following days. Might be good for some people, and maybe more for daytime anxiety but definitely didn't help my sleep (even when taking a higher dose than I normally do of Klonopin). On a side note, don't rely on benzos long-term (> 1 month). You will quickly dig yourself a hole as tolerance inevitably builds and your sleep and mental state will be worse than when you started. Been on benzos for > 2 years and I'm slowly reducing mine and it sucks pretty bad. Get on something safer and non-tolerance building. The sooner the better."

Tripoli March 21, 2016

For Anxiety "Still use a regular Xanax at times when things get bad but the XR is amazing for those times where I can't afford the drowsiness. XR is just a nice steady dose to take the edge off and no side effects. Would recommend."

Jeff Generalized Anxiety · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2016

For Anxiety "Instead of the ups and downs of short-acting Ativan (1mg X 5 times a day).....Xanax XR seems to take the edge off so I can enjoy life without the hamster wheel and tooth clenching, etc...."

Calmer Person · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 3, 2016

For Panic Disorder "Xanax XR (2mg every morning) has controlled my anxiety and panic attacks since 2008. One of the SSRIs I tried worked (Zoloft), but the side effects were unacceptable. The XR does not have those side effects and keeps working at a constant dose, though I occasionally need .5mg Xanax PRN. Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy and Mindfulness Meditation have helped, too, but they are not enough."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)