User Reviews for Zoloft

7.1

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Zoloft reviews 7.4 1,180 reviews

Reviews for Zoloft

For Major Depressive Disorder "Took this drug for 2 years at 100 mg, to treat general anxiety, major depression, and PTSD. It was a lifesaver. I went from not being able to leave the house to being a normal functioning human. However, I had horrible side effects the entire time. I had severe hair loss, I was never hungry- I lost 15 pounds taking this. I was sweaty all the time despite being calm instead of anxious. Could not tolerate any alcohol. Had a lot of headaches. Ground my teeth at night. Could not orgasm EVER. Was also in therapy the entire time I took this- with the goal of getting off of it once I was able to deal with things on my own from therapy. Took a 3 month taper and lots of benadryl to help me sleep but I got off it and haven't taken any meds in 5 years. You have to weigh the pros and cons. It was a bridge to get my mental health where I needed it to be on my own. Would only ever take it again if I was SEVERELY depressed and for much shorter length of time because the withdrawal "brain zaps" sucked."

thedude January 16, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I spent a lot of time reading this forum while I was waiting for my medication to work, and I promised myself that I would share my experience once it worked. So here's my story: I was a victim of sextortion 4 years ago. After denying/questioning it for at least a year, I have finally admitted to myself that I have Post Traumatic Stress from this. I would experience intrusive thoughts/memories of the event, every day, all day. I felt depressed for the majority of the day, my anxiety got worse, I didn't think I'd ever get better. I was prescribed Zoloft back in December. I started out with 25mg, and worked my way up to 100mg, which happens to be the effective dose for me. Since being on the medication, I haven't been experiencing the intrusive thoughts/memories nearly as much, and when I do have memories, I don't feel so much shame. My moods have drastically improved overall. I can finally say "I'm fine" and mean it! About a month ago, I never would've thought it to be possible."

Anonymous January 16, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have pros and cons with Zoloft, I suffer from MDD, panic disorder and bipolar. I noticed my anxiety moments are not that intense as they used to be and I don’t dwell on my thoughts as much which is a plus, I don’t feel my anxiety deep in my gut like I used to. Some cons are my sex drive is almost completely gone, I usually don’t even like to be touched I rather be left alone. My agitation is almost always at an all time high, I also really have no motivation to get out and do things I rather be inside hiding away. I necessarily don’t feel happy or sad I just feel “blah” As of right now I’m on 100mg, I just don’t feel like it’s helping me the way I’m wanting it to. At this point I’m really wanting to wean off. I don’t feel “happy” I feel like I’m just here and it’s the worst feeling ever."

Dee (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "This is the best antidepressant I’ve been on. I wouldn’t consider it a miracle drug, but it did make me feel happier and a little less anxious than normal. The best thing about Zoloft was that it GREATLY decreased my anger and irritability. My diagnosis’s are Major Depressive Disorder, Panic Disorder w/ Agoraphobia, and ASD. Due to being in a bad situation, I was taken off of Zoloft about 5 years ago. In the almost 2 years that I took it, I would still feel down occasionally but I never came close to being re-admitted to the psychiatric hospital. Will probably look into getting back on it soon."

Otsutsuki (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2019

For Depression "I started taking Zoloft yesterday and after reading hundreds of reviews, I have to share my own experience. Don't listen to all of the negative reviews and give this drug a shot. No matter what you try, there is a chance it won't work and there will be side effects. Your best bet to getting better is to just TRY and give it time to see if it works for you. Last night I took my first pill and was waiting for the worst to happen after reading about the side effects. But all of a sudden, my bed became comfortable. Food had flavor. I started to smile and actually felt like talking to one of my friends. I willingly took a shower and I felt like singing and dancing. I felt completely sober and like myself... just without any of my depression or anxiety. I am facing some of the side effects, but that glimpse of what my life would be like without depression/anxiety gave me so much hope for this drug."

Boo January 8, 2019

For Panic Disorder "I started 25mg of Zoloft last night. About 3am I woke up nauseous, so I took a zofran. Not even a minute later I was EXTREMELY nauseous. On top of that my throat felt like I was trying to swallow cotton and I had a heart rate of 115. Trembling and shaking I felt like I was going to die. Once it subsided I realized I either had an awful reaction or my first full blown panic attack. Either way I won't be taking another pill and will be praying for it to get out of my system quick."

Feelingawful (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2019

For Panic Disorder "Years ago when I was in college I had a major panic attack due to not knowing my path after school. After that I had chronic everyday anxiety that was debilitating. I couldn’t get out of my house, didn’t want to do anything and was totally miserable. After months of suffering I talked with my doc and she prescribed me Zoloft it was a blessing started me off at 25 mg then up to 50mg where I stayed was good for a year then went off due to feeling better. I went 3 years off of them and just last month had an event that triggered a panic attack which again just like years ago put on a onset of chronic anxiety so I was recently put back on them because I remember how amazingly they worked for me. My doc started me on 25 mg again I’m on day 6 now and it’s been rough I knew it’d be rough I’m handling it just fine worst part is not being able to sleep well and the increased anxiety sucks but I’m sticking through it tomorrow I’ll be upping to 50 mg in hopes I can be back to work Monday."

Maxwell January 3, 2019

For Social Anxiety Disorder "It works!!!!! First month it's going be terrible but don't give up!!! Stay strong because in 6-8 weeks you will feel sooo much better. I kept giving up and one day I said let me stay strong and I did it! In 4 weeks I took 50mg daily and then 100g then I noticed the difference and started to feel like myself again! :)"

Pink (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Was prescribed Zoloft after many stomach issues that caused Anxiety. Dr's seem to want to put everyone on an SSRI that have a million side effects. Zoloft gave me horrible stomach pain that just became unbearable. It seemed to make me happy right away but the stomach pain lasted 8-9 hours a day and got worse each day. I gave it a 5 because it seemed to be doing something if it wasn't for the pain....God bless the people it helps"

blue-sky (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2018

For Depression "I've been taking zoloft for almost 5 years, but I also tried prozac before this and it didn't work. The main thing about zoloft is that it makes me feel a bit numb emotionally sometimes. I don't laugh as much as I used to or at things that should be funny. I'm generally happy overall, but it does get annoying sometimes"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 14, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "Wish I had started this years ago! I was terrified to start medication, it was the last resort after trying natural ways to deal w/ PMDD for years. Every month, I'd have serious depression/ anxiety/ uncontrollable crying spells/ want to leave my family the 4 days prior to period. As soon as my cycle started, I was completely normal. I thought it was just me, until I started tracking and was diagnosed with PMDD. I resisted using medication thinking I could handle symptoms on my own. Mistake. I started taking zoloft ONLY during my luteal phase and the very first month had relief! Since taking, my PMDD symptoms have almost completely subsided. I have not noticed any negative side effects. I was worried about diminished sex drive, but found that my sex drive has increased during the luteal phase since I'm not suffering from the effects of PMDD."

M.M. December 13, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "While Zoloft did alleviate some OCD symptoms, it made me very hypomanic. It was not fun-- my thoughts were racing so badly and I said very inappropriate things at work. This drug will probably not do that to everyone, but even without me having bipolar, I had this reaction that I don't get with other drugs. It's not a bad drug for most-- just a warning that it may happen to others, bipolar or not!"

kellymcnamara1994 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I really had a great experience with Zoloft. When I first started the medication, I was on cloud 9. I felt happier than I had in years. My anxiety improved dramatically. Sadly, as time went on (years into taking it), my body stop responding as well. My Dr raised my dosage - as high as 150mg. At that dosage, I felt like a zombie. I was tired all the time, so I had to stop taking it. Still the best SSRI I have tried..."

Pat F (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I took Zoloft for approximately five months. It helped a lot with my anxiety, particularly as it pertained to driving ( I have had panic attacks when driving on the interstate). However, I gained 10 pounds and did not change my eating or exercise habits. I cannot tolerate weight gain--then I really would be depressed! My doctor said to half the dose (from 50 mg to 25) for a week and then I could stop. This worked fine for me and I only experienced a headache and fuzzy feeling the first day off. I am not going to try another drug of this type unless necessary. I am going to try other ways of dealing with anxiety. I know that is not always an option and my anxiety is pretty much circumstantial. I hope the weight comes off, as many have said it hangs on!"

Mary B (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I'm suffering from pure 'Obsessive' harm OCD and it is really exhausted I went to psychiatric and prescribed me zoloft. First it was nightmare all day suffering and anxious and worst of it mood swings that ugly side effects then 2 month later it begin to show activity .... now after 1 year it make a good job but I'm still having mood swing"

survival (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "This medication worked very well for my social anxiety, the main reason I was taking it. Started taking it in Nov. 2015 when I was 17. As the years went maybe in late 18/ 19 years old I believe that I have changed and developed with life changes and all that which has effected how my brain works. During this time the dose I was taking increased. The highest dose I took before I no longer want to take it was 150 mg. Though it still helped with the social aspect of my life I now struggle harder with the depression side also other things and that makes it, for me, seem pointless to keep taking it as my social anxiety doesn't seem to be my main issue anymore. Things happen and everyone is constantly changing so I think it was affective when it was needed. -11/08/2018"

DazzlingBird (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 9, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I started this medication a week ago for anxiety and IBS. Within the first 24 hours of taking it, I was already experiencing almost all the side effects. Nausea, increased anxiety, dizziness, loss of appetite, headache, stomach pain, and drowsiness. I kept taking it because the side effects should subside after a week or two, but they were too severe to continue taking it. I lost 4 pounds in a week and I became so weak from not eating that I couldn’t function well. I stopped taking it today and my appetite is starting to come back."

dvoshn (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I have suffered for about 20 yrs with extreme social anxiety, I used to drink (way to much) just to get thru family and friend functions, to the point I would not go at all to them as I got too drunk and made a worse fool of myself .. but since my doctor prescribed Zoloft to me, although it has taken nearly a year to feel the relaxed normal feeling that most people have . I now go out and focus on the people talking, usually I’m more preoccupied with my nerves.. now I don’t even realise I’m not anxious and moving around in my seat or talking too fast hoping no one would talk to me as I would get red and stutter and embarrassed. From my experience would highly recommend it.. it does take a while ,but if you like me avoided social experiences , it’s worth the wait xx"

Lee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 2, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I am a teenage girl and I was on zoloft for almost 2 months. At first, it worked really well. I felt like a badass, like I could do anything. It really helped my anxiety and depression at first. Then, after a while, I felt like a zombie. I could feel nothing except for anger. I was so mad all the time. I became so cold and mean, I was rude to all my friends and even if I tried to stop this, the mean words would just come out."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2018

For Panic Disorder "For many years I have dealt with generalized anxiety disorder. Earlier this year I began having SEVERE panic attacks that landed me in the ER. The first week on 25mg was really hard, I had a very upset stomach, diarrhea, and increased anxiety. The side effects started to lessen after that, only to start back up all over again when I went up to 50mg. Those side effects only lasted about a week again, but I didn’t get a good nights sleep for about a month after starting 50mg. It was awful. But that has also now passed and I can truly say that I feel better than ever entering month 3. The one side effect that I think is here to stay unfortunately is the sexual side effect. However I have none to very minimal anxiety, NO panic attacks. I feel back to my normal self. This is a medication that you definitely have to ride out the storm in order to get to the positives. It helps going into it knowing that it’s going to be hard, but it’s worth the outcome!"

Shannon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "After being sexually abused, stalked, and threatened with death, torture and gang rape by my ex boyfriend, I developed PTSD. Every day felt like a waking nightmare, until I finally ended up in a hospital ER because I was suicidal. They prescribed me Zoloft, and I tried different dosages but the most effective for me has been 200mg. This drug has saved my life. I do not experience the same panic attacks and extreme anxiety/ depression and hopelessness that I did before. I highly recommend giving this a try if you have PTSD. It has worked a miracle on me."

Survivor (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2018

For Depression "I was placed on zoloft after being on citalopram for 3 years. I was on 25 mg Zoloft for about a week and bumped to 50mg for 21 days. Then bumped to 75 mg where I’ve been for 3 weeks. So about 7 weeks total. My anxiety is gone & I’m way more mellow. I had two job interviews and didn’t have any panic or meltdowns. So that’s great. I noticed I’m way more apathetic and that my libido is gone. I still have days where I’m empty feeling (even though I have tons of friends and family that I adore) and where I cry. I also feel very spacey at times. I function okay I think and I am able to take care of errands, the household, and my child. I may lower back down to 50mg if I continue to feel numb on 75 mg after 8 weeks. This medicine isn’t scary, don’t be afraid to try it. Please also remember that it takes months for it to start working and some people stop taking this medicine early before it could of begun to help."

Nicoleee (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2018

For Depression "I suffer from S.A.D., or seasonal affective disorder, depression and anxiety. All of my symptoms have increased as I've gotten older. Last year I took Lexapro, which was too numbing, affected my executive function, focus, short-term memory and libido in a bad way. This fall, I decided to be proactive and got on 50 mg of Zoloft. Completey life-changing experience! Side effects were nothing compared to Lexapro. Maybe 1 or 2 days of mild nausea, slight insomnia for the first 2 nights. Now at 5 weeks, I feel clear, happy, functional and optimistic. Libido intact. Takes a bit longer to orgasm but it's kind of amazing because it prolongs the intensity. Zoloft has truly changed my life for the better, hopefully it will continue to work-- will take it forever if possible!!! Wanted to leave this + review because there are so many negative ones out there, which don't paint an accurate picture of any drug. Negative experiences are always reported more than positive ones. :-)"

KGrrrrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I think Zoloft caused permanent brain damage and more depression than I had before. I was only on 50mg for about 3 or 4 months but started having serious memory problems like having no clue where I parked. Not even a general direction. The scariest part was that I noticed when people were talking to me things stopped registering. Like I was trying to listen but couldn't. I stopped taking it hoping this would go away but it didn't after over 2 yrs now. And now I'm left with more depression than before and serious cognitive issues. I might not be able to keep my job or function in life anymore. It did make me feel better and be more social but wasn't worth it."

Aaronavich (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I was on Celexa for 6 years for panic disorder, depression and generalized anxiety. After 6 years of being on Celexa, I was really fed up with the sexual side effects and the weight so I switched to Zoloft. I was super skeptical at first, given I was starting a new job at the time and it is never easy to change medication. I sucked up my fears and weaned off the Celexa and started the Zoloft. Unfortunately for me, I have had really bad side effects from Zoloft. My panic disorder and anxiety is through the roof... It has never been this bad before. Additionally, my heart rate is extremely accelerated and causing heart palpitations. I am mad at myself for weaning off the Celexa because it did indeed help with my panic disorder, depression and anxiety. Although I gained weight on Celexa and experienced a lot of negative sexual side effects, I am hoping to get back on it next week! I know Zoloft works for a lot of people (my roommate included) but this was not the drug for me."

Madddddds (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...