User Reviews for Zoloft

Major Depressive Disorder
6.9

Summary of Zoloft reviews 7.4 1,192 reviews

Reviews for Zoloft

For Depression "I have been taking this med from September 2018, and lately I just feel anxious and have no energy to do anything. I feel scared all the time and overwhelmed."

Nana (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 18, 2019

For Depression "I have taken a few antidepressants just looking for perfect fit. DO NOT TAKE ZOLOFT my side effects were so severe I have been out of work for 2 weeks. Prozac was probably the best. My experience was so bad that I now take 0 meds because of the ill effects. I can give you pointers on natural remedies."

Summer (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2019

For Postpartum Depression "I wanted to share my experience with pospartum depression for those that are new to zoloft. I was diagnosed with postpartum anxiety depression 6 weeks after my baby was born. I was under severe stress since my baby was born at 7 months hence that’s where the postpartum hit me. It was the scariest thing I have ever felt in my life. I thought I had lost myself, I just didn’t feel like me anymore and the anxiety was beyond horrible. I had anxiety 24/7 couldn’t eat, sleep, was an emotional wreck! I started Zoloft and that only intensified my symptoms for the first 3 weeks then I slowly began to feel like me again not 100% me but it felt like I was getting there. My anxiety slowly began to lessen as well. I had to go up on my dose and the side effects came back for about 5 days then they began to subside and 8 weeks later I was me again!!! I started on 25mg then bumped up to 50mg and have been on 50mg for a few months now. There’s light at the end of the tunnel!!"

Tori March 12, 2019

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Barely effective, TERRIBLE withdrawal period even with slow weaning, irreversible motor symptoms post-withdawal (akathesia)"

Twitchy (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2019

For Depression "I have taken Zoloft for about 22 years. When the generic came out, Sertraline I was over joyed. At times did not have insurance, had to pay for Zoloft out of pocket. Very expressive. So when Sertraline came out on the market I switched right over. 3 months later my bubble burst. I felt like I wasn't taking anything. I felt very depressed. Had to go back to brand name and have been on it since. Please do not let anyone tell you it is the same medication. I have had arguments with Doctors and pharmacy workers. They insist its the same. If Sertraline was the same as Zoloft it should have worked the same. I tried it again, with the same results. The Doctor said to me we just have to adjust the dose. I told him where to go."

Mermaid (taken for 10 years or more) March 9, 2019

For Panic Disorder "Zoloft is a miracle worker. I am 20 years old, and I have had extreme panic attacks/anxiety for 3 years and never took any medication for it. It finally got to a point where I couldn’t even go to the bathroom without freaking out thinking I was going to pass out or die. I finally went to my OBGYN and she prescribed me Zoloft. My family and all the reviews scared me out of taking it and finally one day I had enough. I took it 8 months after I was prescribed and it changed my life. I had ZERO side effects and after 2 weeks I was wondering if it was even working. About 3 weeks into taking it I realized I just went to the bathroom without freaking out and I just drove home without a panic attack! It was the best feeling in the world. I take 25 mg every morning and life feels back to normal like I was when I was 16. I feel like I can do anything. If you are hesitant about taking Zoloft DON'T BE! Try it. I wish I would have taken it sooner. This stuff is a life saver."

Best EVER March 7, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I used to cry uncontrollably, be extremely irritable, uncomfortable in my body, lethargic, so depressed I couldn't get out of bed, have suicidal ideation, etc. Now with Zoloft I have NONE of those symptoms anymore. My relationships are no longer being torn apart. I don't feel embarrassed by illogical mood swings or uncontrollable blabbering. I don't cry myself to sleep. I feel happy, optimistic, peaceful and completely BALANCED. Zoloft had given me my life back. I had to stop taking it for 2 months due to a different health issue. ALL of my symptoms returned. I was basically losing my mind for two months. A couple of weeks back on Zoloft and I was again calm, happy, peaceful. I don't have any noticeable side effects. I started at 25mg for the first 5 months (still got quite lethargic and depressed) and now I am on 50mg and I'm like all those women running through fields in white dresses in tampon commercials. Who knew, it isn't the tampons making them so happy...it's the Zoloft!"

Andrea March 1, 2019

For Panic Disorder "Took it for around 6 months for anxiety. Caused lots of intrusive thoughts. Pushed through to see if they would go away, but no luck. Was very off and on with Zoloft. Took 100mg daily. Sleep and headaches were also bad. I’ve tried nearly all SSRIs"

Anxious February 23, 2019

"Hi Dears, First of all I wanna wish u all the best in your life, stay blessed all. Let me share my experience with zolft, I have been on it 50mg for the last 2 years, really the drug has made my life easier. It had started working properly after 6 months of use. The story is give the Zoloft time to work..."

Khan (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 14, 2019

For Depression "Wouldn’t recommend this at all. It seemed like the first few days I didn’t really notice much except I would wake up in the mornings feeing slightly nauseous. Then about a month or so in I started getting tremors in my upper body and I could sense them coming on a few hours before waking up every single morning and I try so hard to just sleep through them. Then eventually I’ll toss and turn and no matter what position I sleep in it hurts my body. Then I’ll wake up to horrible pain in my back, neck and shoulders. This stuff is the worst. I wouldn’t take it ever again and I’m only on 25mg so I’m hoping to get off really soon!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2019

For Depression "Started with 50mg for 4 months but felt like it wasn't doing anything. Tried upping the side by another 25mg or 50mg and that is where the trouble began. Gastrointestinal discomfort to the point of not being able to chew solid foods. Paranoia which kept me house ridden. This went on for 2 long months before I finally tapered off. SSRIs are just not for me. Tried most of them with the same result."

Pocariboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2019

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Zoloft was prescribed to manage my generalized anxiety disorder. I took 50 mg per day for four years. I feel it worked well. I've also been to talk therapy to work on these issues so I'm not forever dependent on medication. It was my plan to wean myself at some point. I forgot my medication for a week long vacation recently. I guess you could say I was thrown into an involuntary cold turkey withdrawal. Within a couple days, I experienced overwhelming nausea. It has been 17 days since I took Zoloft and the nausea is still pretty strong. Aside from the nausea, I have experienced a low grade headache and brain fog. Had I known the withdrawal symptoms were challenging, I might have strongly reconsidered this medication. I used to take Clonazepam on as as needed basis for anxiety and did not experience any withdrawal symptoms. I hope these nausea symptoms improve soon. I rate this medications effectiveness for me at a 9 but rate it as a 1 for withdrawal."

LVD1263 January 30, 2019

For Panic Disorder "After two breakdowns I started having severe panic attacks and stopped leaving the house altogether. After 6 months of this awfulness I was prescribed Zoloft and I’ve been on Zoloft for over 15 years. I am taking 100mg per day and up to 200mg during a stressful event. Zoloft has been the only drug that keeps me balanced and gives me the ability to function and hold down a full time job for the past 10 years. But this wasn’t my only treatment and what has made me stay well is being engaged with my psychiatrist weekly for 3 years and now only when I need him."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 25, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "Took this drug for 2 years at 100 mg, to treat general anxiety, major depression, and PTSD. It was a lifesaver. I went from not being able to leave the house to being a normal functioning human. However, I had horrible side effects the entire time. I had severe hair loss, I was never hungry- I lost 15 pounds taking this. I was sweaty all the time despite being calm instead of anxious. Could not tolerate any alcohol. Had a lot of headaches. Ground my teeth at night. Could not orgasm EVER. Was also in therapy the entire time I took this- with the goal of getting off of it once I was able to deal with things on my own from therapy. Took a 3 month taper and lots of benadryl to help me sleep but I got off it and haven't taken any meds in 5 years. You have to weigh the pros and cons. It was a bridge to get my mental health where I needed it to be on my own. Would only ever take it again if I was SEVERELY depressed and for much shorter length of time because the withdrawal "brain zaps" sucked."

thedude January 16, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I spent a lot of time reading this forum while I was waiting for my medication to work, and I promised myself that I would share my experience once it worked. So here's my story: I was a victim of sextortion 4 years ago. After denying/questioning it for at least a year, I have finally admitted to myself that I have Post Traumatic Stress from this. I would experience intrusive thoughts/memories of the event, every day, all day. I felt depressed for the majority of the day, my anxiety got worse, I didn't think I'd ever get better. I was prescribed Zoloft back in December. I started out with 25mg, and worked my way up to 100mg, which happens to be the effective dose for me. Since being on the medication, I haven't been experiencing the intrusive thoughts/memories nearly as much, and when I do have memories, I don't feel so much shame. My moods have drastically improved overall. I can finally say "I'm fine" and mean it! About a month ago, I never would've thought it to be possible."

Anonymous January 16, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have pros and cons with Zoloft, I suffer from MDD, panic disorder and bipolar. I noticed my anxiety moments are not that intense as they used to be and I don’t dwell on my thoughts as much which is a plus, I don’t feel my anxiety deep in my gut like I used to. Some cons are my sex drive is almost completely gone, I usually don’t even like to be touched I rather be left alone. My agitation is almost always at an all time high, I also really have no motivation to get out and do things I rather be inside hiding away. I necessarily don’t feel happy or sad I just feel “blah” As of right now I’m on 100mg, I just don’t feel like it’s helping me the way I’m wanting it to. At this point I’m really wanting to wean off. I don’t feel “happy” I feel like I’m just here and it’s the worst feeling ever."

Dee (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "This is the best antidepressant I’ve been on. I wouldn’t consider it a miracle drug, but it did make me feel happier and a little less anxious than normal. The best thing about Zoloft was that it GREATLY decreased my anger and irritability. My diagnosis’s are Major Depressive Disorder, Panic Disorder w/ Agoraphobia, and ASD. Due to being in a bad situation, I was taken off of Zoloft about 5 years ago. In the almost 2 years that I took it, I would still feel down occasionally but I never came close to being re-admitted to the psychiatric hospital. Will probably look into getting back on it soon."

Otsutsuki (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2019

For Depression "I started taking Zoloft yesterday and after reading hundreds of reviews, I have to share my own experience. Don't listen to all of the negative reviews and give this drug a shot. No matter what you try, there is a chance it won't work and there will be side effects. Your best bet to getting better is to just TRY and give it time to see if it works for you. Last night I took my first pill and was waiting for the worst to happen after reading about the side effects. But all of a sudden, my bed became comfortable. Food had flavor. I started to smile and actually felt like talking to one of my friends. I willingly took a shower and I felt like singing and dancing. I felt completely sober and like myself... just without any of my depression or anxiety. I am facing some of the side effects, but that glimpse of what my life would be like without depression/anxiety gave me so much hope for this drug."

Boo January 8, 2019

For Panic Disorder "I started 25mg of Zoloft last night. About 3am I woke up nauseous, so I took a zofran. Not even a minute later I was EXTREMELY nauseous. On top of that my throat felt like I was trying to swallow cotton and I had a heart rate of 115. Trembling and shaking I felt like I was going to die. Once it subsided I realized I either had an awful reaction or my first full blown panic attack. Either way I won't be taking another pill and will be praying for it to get out of my system quick."

Feelingawful (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2019

For Panic Disorder "Years ago when I was in college I had a major panic attack due to not knowing my path after school. After that I had chronic everyday anxiety that was debilitating. I couldn’t get out of my house, didn’t want to do anything and was totally miserable. After months of suffering I talked with my doc and she prescribed me Zoloft it was a blessing started me off at 25 mg then up to 50mg where I stayed was good for a year then went off due to feeling better. I went 3 years off of them and just last month had an event that triggered a panic attack which again just like years ago put on a onset of chronic anxiety so I was recently put back on them because I remember how amazingly they worked for me. My doc started me on 25 mg again I’m on day 6 now and it’s been rough I knew it’d be rough I’m handling it just fine worst part is not being able to sleep well and the increased anxiety sucks but I’m sticking through it tomorrow I’ll be upping to 50 mg in hopes I can be back to work Monday."

Maxwell January 3, 2019

For Social Anxiety Disorder "It works!!!!! First month it's going be terrible but don't give up!!! Stay strong because in 6-8 weeks you will feel sooo much better. I kept giving up and one day I said let me stay strong and I did it! In 4 weeks I took 50mg daily and then 100g then I noticed the difference and started to feel like myself again! :)"

Pink (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Was prescribed Zoloft after many stomach issues that caused Anxiety. Dr's seem to want to put everyone on an SSRI that have a million side effects. Zoloft gave me horrible stomach pain that just became unbearable. It seemed to make me happy right away but the stomach pain lasted 8-9 hours a day and got worse each day. I gave it a 5 because it seemed to be doing something if it wasn't for the pain....God bless the people it helps"

blue-sky (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2018

For Depression "I've been taking zoloft for almost 5 years, but I also tried prozac before this and it didn't work. The main thing about zoloft is that it makes me feel a bit numb emotionally sometimes. I don't laugh as much as I used to or at things that should be funny. I'm generally happy overall, but it does get annoying sometimes"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 14, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "Wish I had started this years ago! I was terrified to start medication, it was the last resort after trying natural ways to deal w/ PMDD for years. Every month, I'd have serious depression/ anxiety/ uncontrollable crying spells/ want to leave my family the 4 days prior to period. As soon as my cycle started, I was completely normal. I thought it was just me, until I started tracking and was diagnosed with PMDD. I resisted using medication thinking I could handle symptoms on my own. Mistake. I started taking zoloft ONLY during my luteal phase and the very first month had relief! Since taking, my PMDD symptoms have almost completely subsided. I have not noticed any negative side effects. I was worried about diminished sex drive, but found that my sex drive has increased during the luteal phase since I'm not suffering from the effects of PMDD."

M.M. December 13, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "While Zoloft did alleviate some OCD symptoms, it made me very hypomanic. It was not fun-- my thoughts were racing so badly and I said very inappropriate things at work. This drug will probably not do that to everyone, but even without me having bipolar, I had this reaction that I don't get with other drugs. It's not a bad drug for most-- just a warning that it may happen to others, bipolar or not!"

kellymcnamara1994 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2018