User Reviews for Zoloft

Major Depressive Disorder
6.9

Summary of Zoloft reviews 7.4 1,111 reviews

Reviews for Zoloft

For Panic Disorder "Started this drug for anxiety, stress and panic attacks. Within 4 hours of my first pill (25mg) I felt dizzy, shaky, nervous, tired, and scared. I continued to take for the next 4 weeks and symptoms did not improve, only worsened. I developed intrusive thoughts and was scared to be alone. I was sleeping over 10 hours a night and could hardly get through the day. My vision was blurry. I didn’t feel like myself, I felt crazy and began snapping at those around me. Mood swings. Almost quit my job. The whole lot. I’m tapering down right now and thankfully starting to feel like myself again. Would not try it again in the future, will take a more natural approach. I have taken other SSRIs and never had this bad of a reaction to them. I couldn’t bother giving it another 2 weeks to see if I would get better."

Lex (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I've been taking Zoloft 200mg every day for about 1.5 years now. I was lucky because I've never had any real side effects from it and I jumped up 50 mg at a time pretty quickly. It took at least 2 months for me to notice any changes in my unstable mood. Recently unfortunately it feels as though Zoloft has lost it's effectiveness and I'm feeling pretty awful again. I don't feel depressed, I just feel unbelievable anxiety, paranoia, stress, rage, disconnection from reality, etc. which is why I was taking it, although the stuff is like water for me, it barely does anything, although initially it helped take the edge off a little bit. Everyone's different so you'll react differently, there's no way of knowing unless you try it."

CMan27 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2018

For Depression "I wanted to share my experience to give people hope. Four months ago, I started having debilitating panic attacks almost daily, which then turned into a constant anxiety, not wanting to leave the house or do anything anymore, insomnia and the deepest depression I have ever known. I tried whatever I could to rid myself of it... meditation, therapy, self help books, diet, supplements. I had been very anti medication for myself. The first 3 days on Zoloft weren’t easy. I had insomnia, was shaky and felt agitated, zoning out and crying and crying. I am on day 4 now and I woke up this morning with the clearest mind. I haven’t felt like this in as long as I can remember. I feel so positive. I know it’s only early days but this gives me enormous hope. I am increasing my dose and pushing through any side effects. Don’t suffer endlessly as I have."

Anon June 13, 2018

For Depression "I had a difficult time on this medication. I was given 25mg for depression and anxiety. I have bipolar disorder but due to perimeno my depression and anxiety have become extremely horrible. I am sensitive to medication and took only half (12.5mg) of a pill to start. Within 30 minutes I was so amped up I could not stop talking or sit still. I had a headache, electric feeling through my whole body, dizziness, muscle cramps and sweating. About four hours in, after trying to eat, I got hives and really itchy. When I went to bed I stayed somewhere between awake and sleeping mixed with anxiety and nightmares. The next day I felt sore and exhausted and fuzzy headed. I will say I was not depressed or suicidal but obviously I had a bad reaction. I won’t be taking another one which is a shame. It took me a month to try it due to being afraid of taking an antidepressant because of possible side effects. Hopefully this med can help someone else."

yveseclipse (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "One of the worst drug to give any one. The side effects are out of control. The fact that a medicine that has been approved to treat PTSD that can make you harm yourself is beyond me. Took for 3 months before the active duty navy doctors finally changed the medicine. Not only did it make everything worse (not able to sleep, depression, and feeling of hopelessness among others). On a weekly basis my spouse was concerned for my well being. Requiring her to call the ambulance about 1 to 2 times a month. After being taken off the medicine I was able to get away from the awful feelings. A new up to date study needs to be done because I am not the only one that has had this effects."

Joe navy May 30, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Triggered Depersonalization, blank mind and anhedonia which I didn't have prior Zoloft At first I felt good, even too good which I can now consider as hypermania (lack of need to sleep, running around the house, insisting that I'm an art piece) 2 weeks later not feeling my self, as if my head is filled with cotton, the world appeares different and I can't feel anything towards my GF, I wish I have never touched this full apathy inducer of a pill. Later on I found that I have a short/short version of the "Seratonin transporter gene" AKA SLC6A4 or 5-HTTLPR, which is known to cause more side effects with SSRIs and SNRIs, beware."

KiloMan (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

For Depression "I’ve been taking Zoloft for around 3 weeks now, first day was fine no side effects or anything. Everything hit me on the second day with nausea, migraine, dizziness, loss of sleep and my mood being lower than ever before. I started taking it for my severe anxiety and depression but since getting side effects my anxiety has been worse because I’m scared of feeling sick when I’m not at home. After 2 weeks of taking 25mg my doctor told me to increase to 50mg. It’s been 4 days on the 50mg and I’m still having side effects. I’ve had to miss nearly 3 weeks of school because I feel so sick and I can barely get out of my house, which is a big problem because I’m in high school and my exams are coming up in a couple of weeks, but I’ve missed so much school. Hopefully going back to my doctor soon to see if there is anything I can do, this medicine will work differently for everyone though."

Madi j May 15, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I used Zoloft 100mg for extreme anxiety that involved panic attacks and depression. The side effects that occurred for me were feelings of tiredness and mild nausea. This medication worked for about 2 months. I had an improved mood and less anxiety. After that 2 months this medication stopped working completely. It caused anxiety, mood swings, and really dark thoughts associated with the depressive episodes of the mood swings. I am not trying to say that you or a loved one shouldn’t try Zoloft. This is how it reacted with me but it doesn’t mean that it would do the same to you or a loved one. Just be watchful for any adverse signs. The withdrawal symptoms are slightly uncomfortable. I personally tend to not get severe side effects from starting or stopping a medication. I currently have withdrawals symptoms that involve off and on headaches throughout the day and brain/body zaps. I stopped taking Zoloft about a week ago. Withdrawal symptoms for me were noticeable after about 4 days."

Photographylover (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I started Zoloft about four weeks ago. The first couple weeks my anxiety was sky high. I thought I would have to go back on Paxil, which I have been taking for years. My doctor thought Zoloft would be more weight neutral and would help with my weight problem. About the third week my anxiety suddenly went away and has stayed that way so far. While taking Paxil, I also took lorazepam four times a day for anxiety. I now am cutting down on the lorazepam and I’m hoping I may be able to wean myself off it and just take it, if necessary, on an as-needed basis. Zoloft has really been a game changer for me and I am so glad I started it. This is a great medication, as far as I’m concerned."

Terrylsquier (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

For Depression "I was put on 50mg per day in 2015-16. It made me extremely wired and anxious at first but then improved my depression although with regular insomnia. I have been on 25mg per day during 2017-18 and this is a far better dose, I feel normal/happy/functional and usually sleep well. On occasional days when I am fatigued and have a "brain shutdown" due to low serotonin (sometimes stress, sometimes hormonal) I am allowed to take an extra 25mg which brings me back to functional within 30-60 min after taking. If you are struggling with the overstimulation and jitters on 50mg I recommend trying 25mg as it makes a massive difference for me. I also do slow yin yoga relaxing poses with deep breathing twice a day for 15-30 min."

Rachel (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2018

For Postpartum Depression "I’ve always been an anxious person but it really spiralled out of control after the birth of my 2nd child. About 5 months post partum I decided I need to get help. I was diagnosed with post partum anxiety/dep. The only anxiety med that was considered safe while breastfeeding was Zoloft. I started at 25mg & now on 50mg. I’ll preface my experience with the effectiveness of this drug by saying its a hard drug to get onto, but STICK WITH IT! It really helped after about 4-6 wks. The first 2 wks were hell due to the horrendous nausea, insomnia, & severe bouts of panic/anxious feelings - for awhile it felt worse than what I was initially experiencing and I felt like quitting altogether. All of this seemed to disappear after about 2 wks. After about 6 weeks I felt much better. This drug is truly a miracle (I’d been on Paxil yrs before & didn’t help nearly as much as zoloft has). Thank you for giving me my life back! If you can get through the first few wks this drug can really help."

Stargazer14 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2018

For Depression "I was on Zoloft for a year. I believe that it helped me get past the rough parts I was struggling with and gain control of my life, but I do like to warn people about stopping cold turkey because I had to go to a hospital because of the side effects. I was having racing thoughts and focusing on things for those ideas I had. I decided to stop because I started to feel like I didn't care about the things I was most passionate about. All I know is I didn't feel like me. I'm not hating on this drug because it did help me when I needed it to but it did scare me when I quit like I did. I hope you the best and talk about it with a doctor. Thanks. Much luck to ya. Heidi C."

Heidikans April 27, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I also have social anxiety panic disorder, and something like pms. I give it a 10."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2018

For Depression "I started taking this for anxiety mostly, but also a little depression. I started out at 25mg for a week and then 50mg and 100mg and 150mg and then 200mg over a 6 month period and have been there for 5 weeks. I think the medication helps, but you have to do more to really get back to normal. The drug helps keep more serotonin in your brain from what’s already in your body. You have to do more to really increase the serotonin levels in your body and your brain. Exercising helps for sure, but I finally figured out that caffeine and alcohol weren’t helping and had to mostly eliminate consumption of those. I read where they actually deplete your serotonin. Recently the drug really helped change my thought process, which was really warped by the anxiety/depression. It’s amazing how they can really alter your perception of reality. Just started taking GABA as well because you can be deficient in that also, which causes anxiety. Also omega 3. You can try tryptophan and 5-htp too."

JC April 18, 2018

"I was on Zoloft 2 years ago and thought I no longer needed it 2 years later and anxiety and panic attacks. To be honest I forgot how horrid the side effects were. And I got them all again! Nausea, increased anxiety, headaches, no appetite, terrible indigestion and insomnia. I was losing hope 2nd time round. But I just wanted to hang in there . I had all these side effects for the first 4 FULL weeks! Finally one morning I woke up feeling like myself. I'm now on week 8 and I can function like my old self. I still have a bit of insomnia now and then. And a tad bit of anxiety. But the improvement is night and day. I'm glad I stuck it out. 4 weeks can seem like forever being so sick. But I still pushed myself to do household chores and plenty of sunshine outside to keep my brain busy. There is a light at the end of the tunnel! Good luck everyone I take 50mg after breakfast every morning"

Dee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I have been taking Zoloft for about 8 months now. I used to be so anxious and worried about everything all of the time- I had crippling social anxiety. My face would shake whenever I had to talk to large groups of people. I no longer feel like this- I feel FREE. I actually look forward to social events and talking with others! I also didn't experience any numbing of emotions or sexual issues; the only side effect I'd say I've had was an increased sensitivity to alcohol. Something to be monitored for sure! I definitely did not think the medication was working as it took a very long time to take effect- at least 2 months till I noticed a difference. But now that I have been on it for a good amount of time, I can honestly say I feel normal, finally. If you're thinking of trying this medication, I would strongly recommend it. However, be patient and don't lose hope if you don't see result right away. Its all so worth it in the end!"

Zoloft (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I want everyone to know if you are on medication for depression and anxiety you must find which medication works best for you. Paxil made me very shaky and Cymbalta was a complete nightmare. I’m currently on Zoloft. Been on it for many years . My doctor calls it a maintenance drug. Zoloft works very well for me . No side effects. If you feel you need to be on medication, that life is a struggle mentally, and you have a doctor who understands you and you trust please try a medication BUT do not stay on a medication that does not work . Work with your doctor and try a different one . It’s a long horrible journey finding the right one but once you find it you will know . Seek counseling when things get rough . Talk to others who are going through the same thing. I take 100mg of Zoloft with a fish oil supplement and vitamin D. You must eat right and take care of yourself if you want your medication to work best for you. And no alcohol . It may make you feel horrible the next day ."

Owen (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 8, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have been experiencing intrusive thoughts for almost a year now. It was mainly due to my Celexa other SSRI antidepressant wasn't working as well anymore. I have been on Celexa for over 12 years. It just didn't work for me anymore and then I found Zoloft. I suffer from mild to moderate OCD and intrusive thoughts about harming myself/anything for no reason whatsoever. When I started taking 12.5 MG of Zoloft and 30MG of Celexa (Cross tapering meds), Was on 40MG. I noticed a 70% difference in my thoughts. My head was more clear, I felt more positive. Its day 6 now and its just getting better from here. This medication was a godsend to me. Just wanted to share my experience."

DanaTOCD (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

For Panic Disorder "Hi all. My name is Lauren I am 21. I have taken this medicine for 6 months. Here’s my story. 7 months ago I was having severe ANXIETY, with panic attacks and some mild depression because of it. I just wanted to feel better. I read review after review because I was scared to take an ANTIDEPRESSANT, since I wasn’t depressed, and because I’m a natural person I question everything. All I can say is TRY IT. There will always be negative comments on any medication. This one saved me. I started on 25 mg it wasn’t enough. It took 6 weeks too feel 100% and week 1 my anxiety was worse (didn’t know that was possible). I hope this helps you all because I was that person searching for what if’s."

Lauren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2018

For Depression "Loved the mood on this drug...hated the side effects. Thought I was just getting older, but I had constant inexplicable headaches every single day for months. Also had excruciating back pain that ended up being my gallbladder and severe changes to my menstrual cycle. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I stopped the drug. Suddenly everything normalized. My advice: if you have weird things happening to you but they aren't listed as classic "side effects"--listen to your body!!"

Anonymous April 3, 2018

For Depression "I had been struggling with grief, PTSD and stress. I told my doctor how I feel, and that I see a therapist. I grind my teeth, generally not myself lately. I am naturally active motivated individual. I am now on Zoloft, Dr said it's to stabilize my mood. I have been taking it for about a week. Dr said it takes up to 3 weeks to kick in. So far I feel more alert, better attention and a bit insomnia and sleep cycle disturbance. It feels weird, I never took antidepressants before. I am so used doing things in stress that it feels unnatural to feel so balanced lol. It kills the edge of stress but a bit counterproductive because stress was my fuel before, but not grief. I plan to take it until I get over my issues and get off of it. I never thought I will depend on medication, but can't stand my neck pain due to stress. Now is tolerable. I will keep taking it."

Epsh March 17, 2018

For Depression "I have been taking the drug for 2 months @ 50 mg. I had increased anxiety for about 2 weeks when I first started and then all the side effects disappeared. I'm much more calm and able to deal with the enormous amount of stress I'm under with a calm, clear head. I feel like it is easier to communicate my thoughts and that I do not have as many emotional swings during the day. I highly recommend zoloft to anyone looking for something to get them through a tough time."

Happiernow (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I have been suffering from severe anxiety, major depressive disorder and PTSD for over 18 years. Anti Depressants, sometimes made the anxiety worse. I was diagnosed with PTSD in 2015 and my Psychiatrist prescribed Zoloft. Zoloft was really helping me but I gained about 15 pounds in 2 months so I stopped taking it. Fast forward to today. I finally got back on Zoloft after realizing that I NEED it. I literally have been in survival mode for years. After getting back on Zoloft I can finally function. I didn’t know what it was like to feel “normal”. The constant flashbacks, anxiety and depression are gone and when they do show up they are manageable. Zoloft has made such a difference I can’t believe I was living in the Hell I was living in for so long. As for the weight gain, I have weighed myself everyday since I started taking it and I have not gained any weight this time around. But I’ve decided it’s better to be pleasantly plump than to be paralyzed by my PTSD."

Lotus68 (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

For Depression "I was put on zoloft after seeing no success on prozac. I was on 100mgs of zoloft a day for a little over 2 months and experienced no side effects, change of mood, or really any influence at all."

grass (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "30 yr M, diagnosed 7 mths ago. Managed med/free since age 19. My OCD comes with vocal tics (howls) and severe jerking motions when I get stuck in a mental loop. Thankfully, only when I'm alone. Went back to college and now I get debilitating panic attacks. Started Zoloft 7 months ago. Began at 25mg & bumped up in 25mg increments every few months. Now at 75 mg. Experience: The mental fog was unbearable the 1st month, no working memory at all. Couldn't keep track of anything; conversations, books, exam materials, etc.. Each dosage increase results in ~3 weeks of fog. As for anxiety, it is improved for a few weeks after each fog clearing, then levels off, letting me know it's time for a dosage change. As for tics, worsened significantly in the 1st few months; tics lasting for hours as opposed to originally just a few tics per day. Improved to a few tics every few days. Hoping they'll subside once my final dosage gets figured out."

Jrd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2018