User Reviews for Zoloft to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Zoloft has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 106 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 54% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Zoloft Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft

Snakeye · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2020

“Greetings! I have been on 13 antidepressants in the last ten years for my MDD and GAD. Some worked better than others, but most pooped out after a relatively short time. Others gave me dreadful side-effects like akathisia. I am seeing my third psychiatrist and he has suggested Zoloft. I have very little hope of it working. I begin my regiment on Friday so that I have the weekend as a slight buffer before work on Monday. Positive thoughts and prayers are appreciated. I will follow up this "review" in a few months whether successful or not. I am a married father of four and I just want to be a better husband to my wife and a better father to my children. Most of my friends and colleagues would be surprised if they knew the depth of my mental illness. I hope that all that are reading this find peace and healing.”

Anonymous October 3, 2018

“I suffer from major depression & several cases of depression from having unresolved grief. Zoloft helped me a lot, before I got on medicine I was fighting demons & having death thoughts & a lot of thoughts that wasn’t normal. Depression is real if you don’t get help you could end up committing suicide or living a life that is not healthy. Ultimately this medication Zoloft helped me. Depression is a disease that never goes away - u have to live & fight through it everyday for the rest of your life & confront it. NEVER GIVE UP. SOMEONE LOVES YOU & NEEDS YOU TO KEEP FIGHTING. IT'S NOT JUST YOUR BATTLE ITS ALL OF OURS!!!!”

vanchica · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

“I started having suicidal thoughts very suddenly and out of the blue, accompanied by unstoppable crying. When I saw my doctor, she asked about other symptoms like irritability, weight gain and difficulty meeting goals, doing the basics like keeping the house clean and personal care. ALL of these were issues for me, accruing over a year or longer. I didn't know I had depression, or that I'd had it before. Every crappy thing about my life was related to symptoms of depression. This medication Zoloft took about 8 weeks to work and has been LIFE CHANGING. I've been happy, not cranky, I've started losing weight, tidying up, decorating my home, calling friends again. Thank you to the doctors and researchers responsible, the thoughts have stopped and life is better than ever before.”

Chris · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 18, 2021

“I have been taking sertraline/zoloft for about 3 years now. Started off at 50mg simultaneously with individual therapy then increased it to 100mg. It took about 3 or 4 weeks to begin its effects. I will never forget the day I felt the change and it was like night and day! Rumination, social anxiety, obsessive thoughts, depressive symptoms have all lightened since starting zoloft, thankfully. Better quality of life overall. Do not discontinue abruptly - that will be dangerous! Side effects for me are decreased libido, weight gain. I hope you can find a therapist and medication that helps you, hang in there and don't give up!”

shelly · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 16, 2020

“I started zoloft in order to treat my depression and it’s worked amazingly. Before I started taking zoloft I was having constant suicidal thoughts and urges, I was starving myself, self harming, and would have horrible breakdowns almost daily where I would cry for hours at a time. Zoloft didn’t cure my depression completely, but it greatly reduced my most severe symptoms. After a few weeks I realized that the constant inner dialogue telling me to kill myself had stopped, I had no more self harm urges, and I wasn’t having breakdowns every day. On Zoloft I feel like I can experience a normal healthy range of emotions. I still get sad but not to the point where I want to kill or injure myself. I’m currently 2.5 years clean from self harm, I’m eating normally and maintaining a healthy weight, and I feel like I can actually enjoy being alive!”

Lex February 8, 2020

“Zoloft saved my life for over 30 years. This SSRI enabled me to not only graduate College but then obtain my Master's in English. Zoloft gave me the energy, the clarity, and the motivation to continue my life. Last May, Pfizer Pharmaceuticals completely CHANGED the molecular formula, pertaining solely to the 50 mg tablets. I knew something was awry the second I opened the new bottle and viewed the COLOR. My lifesaving pale blue medication of over 30 years was now a Bright Aqua Blue. Of course the Pharmacist informed me it was the same medication. Of course I already knew it wouldn't be. Never have I been so sick. I have ultimately returned to the weak pathetic hopeless person of 30 years ago. I lost everything including my teaching job. This new Zoloft has me out of my mind. I'm ready to commit myself. No one is to write back that the Zoloft is the SAME. It's sickening to see how Pfizer's new medication has completely DESTROYED my LIFE. Yes, I have tried Generics. WORSE.”

Aj · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 6, 2020

“Hello, I would like to share my honest review with zoloft. I was depressed, anxious and had tremendous amounts of social anxiety since my childhood. I had no history of substance abuse, I was in foreign land, and at the age of 23 I was diagnosed with BPD. I was in therapy too but it didn't help much, finally my psych doc prescribed with 150 mg zoloft with a starting dose of 50mg. First 2 days were a nightmare and later on I stuck with doc's advise and gradually upped my dose till 150mg. I started to love myself a lot after 75mg, people around me started to notice a difference and I'm a lot happier. It has been now 6 years on zoloft. But I cut off my dosage to 75mg. I'm married and blessed with a kid. Cons-Highly lethargic, weight gain was 20 pounds and in just 3 months went bald.”

GypsyBella · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2020

“I first tried Lexapro for major depression that came out of nowhere and rendered me useless for 6 weeks. The Lexapro was awful and gave me massive panic attacks and unable to get out of bed because I felt so ill. I then switched to Zoloft and it has saved my life. Within two weeks my mood has lifted significantly and I feel so relieved of my terrible depression. I started very slowly as I was worried about having the same response as with the Lexapro. I would recommend anyone do it this way if you want to ease in with minimal side effects. I started with 12.5mg for three days, then 25mg for another 3, then 37.5mg and now 50mg. Side effects were minimal but it did make me drowsy for awhile. My anxiety and crying increased slightly at the start and then gradually I found myself singing a little tune or being more lighthearted with my kids. And now I feel 500 times better than I did two weeks ago. It thankfully has worked very fast for me.”

LMGale · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 5, 2014

“I'm very surprised at what this medication has done for me. I have been prescribed an SSRI multiple times but never took one because I was convinced my feelings of guilt and anxiety were appropriate reactions to my failures in life. I have lived a bohemian life chasing contentment and self respect. In a new relationship and questioned by my partner about my inconsolable sense of unhappiness, I realized I needed to try something other than running away so in a last ditch move, signed up for a depression study that has given me 6 mos of Zoloft medication. I have clarity now I haven't experienced in a decade, it is wonderful and sobering because I realize now how serious chemical depression is. Don't self medicate, it's OK to get help!”

C July 23, 2019

“To those struggling: please try to stick it out! This is my second time on zoloft - I was on it about 5 years ago and had my depression well-controlled until a recent job loss and move triggered another incident. I dealt with horrible side effects for over three weeks - feeling trapped in bed in the morning with anxiety, incredible nausea, brain fog, the works. I’m only on 25mg (when I was on it before I started on 50 but switched to 25 as 50 made me very sleepy), but the side effects were still a lot to deal with. I’m happy to report that I’ve started to feel normal again this week, and that aside from a bit of morning anxiety, the side effects are gone. While there is no guarantee this drug will work for you, if you are experiencing uncertainty because you are in the throes of med adjustment, there may be relief on the other end. I found forcing myself to work out was really helpful. Anyway, the success stories on this site helped me keep going - maybe they will help you, too!!”

SoAmazing! · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2014

“I was chronically depressed and had many psychiatrists diagnose me with severe depression, which I had experienced unfaillingly for 5 years. I could identify no cause for my depression, which made it even harder for me since I didn't know what was causing me to become extremely suicidal. I had 4-hour lasting sobbing spells (even when I had otherwise great events happening at that time). I felt gloomy, lonesome, uncared for, and depressed. Now I feel content and at ease for the first time in 5 years. I no longer become sad unless I have a reason to- which for me is phenomenal. If good things happen, I feel happy and not sad. I can function better in my work, family life, and simple daily activities like driving or even grocery shopping.”

Hailey L July 2, 2014

“I lost my mom at the age of 20, I am now 24 and been on Zoloft 150 MG for the past 3 years, I can't believe the difference this medication has made. Zoloft gave me my life back, no longer have panic attacks, constant crying, and crazy thoughts! I would recommend this medication to anyone who suffers from depression! Thank you Zoloft!”

Cliff · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 22, 2020

“I was on Zoloft for about 3 years up until a couple years ago when I lost my insurance and was unable to see any doctors ! I have to say that while I was taking it my depression and anxiety were pretty much held in check ! It worked really well for me and I'm definitely going to ask my current doctor to put me back on it because I haven't felt as well since ! I'm currently taking Zyprexa and it's no where near as good ! Just sayin ! Good Luck to Everyone”

Jacob · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2020

“I began taking sertraline 2 months ago for depression and social anxiety and I’ve enjoyed its effects so far. The first couple of days on it I had digestive issues and I would say the main side effect I have now is hunger and dry mouth along with really vivid and strange dreams. I started out at 50mg and it definitely helped with my depression but I knew the dosage needed to be upped and I just recently started taking 100mg and it’s working really well I feel like I’m finally able to do something with myself and I’m finally able to focus and have a clear mind for once. Overall I’m thankful for sertraline!”

Cookie · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2019

“I have Major depressive disorder, social anxiety and post traumatic stress. Within the first month of taking Zoloft my depression symptoms had decreased by about 70%. I started at 50 mg a day. After the first month It began to lose its effectiveness so my dr upped my dosage to 200 mg. It's helped me a lot, with my mood, my sadness and overall feeling of worthlessness. The side effects I've experienced are lack of sex drive and vaginal dryness. I did however find an herbal supplement that has been very effective.”

thx4sharron · Taken for 10 years or more November 2, 2014

“I had major depression from the time I started menstruating. It would cycle with my cycle. It caused paranoia, and fear of being seen outside my home. It feared going to my mail box, yet, at times I would sign up to do things like be an Avon Lady! I felt crazy. In my mid 30's, divorced, alcoholic, my doctor prescribed Prozac. It didn't seem to help me. Later in recovery but still profoundly depressed, she put me on Zoloft and the result was instantaneous. I felt like a window to my life had been opened. I wasn't afraid. I looked forward to getting out of bed. I found things I liked to do. I have a healthy relationship, a good job, a life. I have been given my life back. Now, I am 16 years sober. Thank you Zoloft.”

LovingMyTwins · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2014

“I've been on Zoloft for 2 months. I've have massive depression after I had my twins. I had suicidal thoughts and thoughts of just letting go.I went to the doctor for help and he prescribed me Zoloft 25mg but the 25mg wasn't working. So I took 50mg and it is awesome. I feel myself again like I was 18. No worries in the world. Just felling like life was life again. Thanks to Zoloft I got my life back.”

Drummergirl16 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2019

“I was not eager to start an antidepressant, but I truly did not have anything else to try. I asked lots of questions about antidepressants, and my psychiatrist took the time to answer all of my questions. She was patient and took plenty of time to hear and answer my questions. After going home, sleeping on it, and looking up other peoples experiences online, I decided the benefits outweighs the risks. I started on the lowest dosage of Zoloft (25mg), but had to incrementally increase the dosage over the course of six months to get the dosage quite right. I’ve now been on Zoloft (150mg daily) for over two years and it works really well for major depressive disorder, I finally feel normal, even though I really didn’t know what “normal” felt like before. I no longer think of suicide every day, and I am better able to manage tough days and tough emotions. I had relatively few side effects. Really the only one I get is drowsiness, but it helps to take it in the afternoon instead of in the morning.”

GG September 25, 2019

“I’ve been on Zoloft for almost a year, at the beginning I was on 50mg and it helped for a while no weird side affects. After a few weeks though I noticed it wasn’t helping so much so I got upped to 100mg. I have been on and off of it for about 4 months, but when I have taken it I do notice it does help me. I saw some reviews talking about the terrible side affects and that sucks, but not every medication is for everyone. Zoloft has honestly helped me when I correctly take it. Hope all my fellow buddies find the correct meds and keep ur heads up.<3”

Jen July 19, 2018

“I tried everything over the past year to cure myself. I researched vitamins, supplements, holistic remedies, tried yoga, meditation. Everything. Nothing would help. I got to a point where I just couldn't take it anymore. My days were running together, and I knew I needed help. I went and saw a psychiatrist. She prescribed me this drug. Even after receiving it, I still waited another week out of hesitation. But, I wasn't eating. My sleeping habits were horrible. All I wanted to do was lay in bed, and cry. I started taking 25mg for a week. The first day I felt nauseous and was on and off the toilet. Maybe a mild headache. The second day - No side effects. I literally had one bad day and that was it. I felt so much better even after a few days. I am now one month on this and I am SO GRATEFUL that I just decided to do it. I feel like my old self again. I finally have an appetite again, I am sleeping great, and I don't feel anti social. So happy to have my life back.”

Lrivera1902 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2020

“My psychiatrist added zoloft to my adderall and wellbutrin xl. It took 2 months for the zoloft to take full effect. I started the zoloft the last week of November and took till the middle of January for the full effect. In the beginning I felt exhausted when I took it. I waited it out patiently. It's amazing when zoloft kicked in with my wellbutrin xl and adderall. I feel calmer, happier and more in control of my life and emotions. I think before I act and my thoughts are so much clearer. It is great. I am bipolar 2 with Adhd. These medications may not work for everyone but from my experience, I feel more in control of myself and my emotions.”

pineapple1986 January 6, 2021

“I was prescribed Zoloft and Klonopin twice in the past both for depression and anxiety-related issues. The first time it took about 5 months to recover, 3 the second time. I stayed on Zoloft first time 7 months, second time 12 months. During Covid, after being 3 years free of antidepressants and depression, I found myself falling back. This time the main concern was insomnia. Zoloft and Klonopin helped me to restore healthy sleeping patterns. It took a few months. I also went on a low sugar diet, worked out, went to therapy, meditated, did breathing exercises, found support, followed CBTI. Today I am depression-free. I generally sleep fine. I am on 75mg! I am off of benzos as Zoloft took full effect in month 4. If you have been on any medication for more than 8 weeks and do not feel better or feel worse, talk to your prescriber. Again, Zoloft can be helpful to someone at 25 mg to others at 150mg. You have to play around and give it time.”

great-grannie of one · Taken for 10 years or more October 8, 2017

“I am 73 years old and have been on Zoloft (generic version) since 1990 when I began seeing a Rheumatologist for Rheumatic Fever. My depression was caused by childhood sexual abuse which my mind had locked away until this time of illness. I was also very angry and contemplated suicide. I could not share my story because of shame and the stigma. She saw I was sad and depressed and wrote a script for Zoloft which I have been on it ever since. Started with 50mgs and now taking 100mgs. She saved my life and my sanity. I did go to counselling years later and was able to verbalize my feelings and forgive. I am thankful for having Rheumatic Fever which led me to this sweet doctor. No side effects that I know of.”

legakris May 29, 2014

“For me, this medication did not work on a lower dose of 50 mg, 100 mg, or even 150 mg. My depression got better once I was increased to 200 mg, which is the therapeutic limit, but this may be because my depression was incredibly severe -extremely suicidal, and not functioning at all. However, after taking this medication for a little over a year, I have come to the realization that it no longer is working for me, and I am experiencing what my psychiatrist calls a "poop out," which is apparently something most SSRIs can do. I would recommend Zoloft (Sertraline) to anyone who has depression. It has honestly been the best medication for me, but for now, I need to try something new.”

Christian Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

“Been on 25 mg of Zoloft for four weeks, upped it to 50mg. Felt like I was on an amphetamine. Tried 37.5mg, and I still feel revved up in my brain. Can’t handle this drug. Some people don’t always respond well, even though the psych nurse tells me Zoloft does not create this reaction. I say everybody is different in brain chemistry.”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder