User Reviews for Zoloft

Zoloft Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"Triggered Depersonalization, blank mind and anhedonia which I didn't have prior Zoloft At first I felt good, even too good which I can now consider as hypermania (lack of need to sleep, running around the house, insisting that I'm an art piece) 2 weeks later not feeling my self, as if my head is filled with cotton, the world appeares different and I can't feel anything towards my GF, I wish I have never touched this full apathy inducer of a pill. Later on I found that I have a short/short version of the "Seratonin transporter gene" AKA SLC6A4 or 5-HTTLPR, which is known to cause more side effects with SSRIs and SNRIs, beware."

KiloMan (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

"I want everyone to know if you are on medication for depression and anxiety you must find which medication works best for you. Paxil made me very shaky and Cymbalta was a complete nightmare. I’m currently on Zoloft. Been on it for many years . My doctor calls it a maintenance drug. Zoloft works very well for me . No side effects. If you feel you need to be on medication, that life is a struggle mentally, and you have a doctor who understands you and you trust please try a medication BUT do not stay on a medication that does not work . Work with your doctor and try a different one . It’s a long horrible journey finding the right one but once you find it you will know . Seek counseling when things get rough . Talk to others who are going through the same thing. I take 100mg of Zoloft with a fish oil supplement and vitamin D. You must eat right and take care of yourself if you want your medication to work best for you. And no alcohol . It may make you feel horrible the next day ."

Owen (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 8, 2018

"Lifelong depression sufferer. First 3 days felt like valium, floaty and nice but symptoms were largely unaffected. Next fortnight was harrowing with vastly increased anxiety and insomnia, mind roaring the entire time. After that things chilled out a bit and life has gotten progressively easier since. First good day came at end of week 4. Now in week 7 and it's as if depression is a thing of the past, any fog thoughts are controllable and no longer dominate my outlook. Should also mention weird taste that the stuck around for the first few weeks, has either gone now or I've got used to it. Sexual desire dropped off for a while but has returned, orgasm is definitely less intense though. Weighing up pros and cons I'm functioning better than for a long time and am seeing aspects of myself that were unthinkable just 2 months ago. I'd happily stay on it forever at this point."

Sertralinewarriors (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2018

"Did nothing"

nothing41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2018

"Setraline has done absolutely nothing to help my depression, it brought on anhedonia which made me feel really down and just deeply sad. Waited 3 weeks and made me feel way worse, this is the 2nd SSRI I have used. I luckily respond very well to bupropion XL 300mg and it saved me from the complete hell I was in due to the SSRI. I don’t truly believe serotonin is the key to happiness, especially because I responded a hell of a lot better to Wellbutrin which is a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor. All I can do is hope the new medication of ketamine nasal spray will do something good for most people who are suffering."

james1738 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2018

"Saw no affect"

Needaxanax December 10, 2017

"I’ve suffered from serious depression since I was about 11 but always refused treatment because I’m against any kind drugs and I was afraid I would lose myself and become a zombie instead and I didn’t want that. But now in my 30’s now and feeling very suicidal, waking up anxious everyday, heart racing non stop, always crying and not being able to do anything really without being panicky and ridiculously self conscious, relationship failing because of my head, I was at the end. Started on 25mg of zoloft and from first day no crying. No depression or anxiety, no reactive emotions anymore. From first day. Didn’t think it would work from first day but it has and I’m blown away I didn’t start this sooner. Side effect( very tired though ) definitely worth it."

Saltgirl22 October 10, 2017

"I am 73 years old and have been on Zoloft (generic version) since 1990 when I began seeing a Rheumatologist for Rheumatic Fever. My depression was caused by childhood sexual abuse which my mind had locked away until this time of illness. I was also very angry and contemplated suicide. I could not share my story because of shame and the stigma. She saw I was sad and depressed and wrote a script for Zoloft which I have been on it ever since. Started with 50mgs and now taking 100mgs. She saved my life and my sanity. I did go to counselling years later and was able to verbalize my feelings and forgive. I am thankful for having Rheumatic Fever which led me to this sweet doctor. No side effects that I know of."

great-grannie of one (taken for 10 years or more) October 8, 2017

"I've been from 50 mg to 200 mg. I think less is more as less side effects and you can deal with issues more aggressively. Tip: less is more see if 25 mg or 50 mg will work"

Robyn3 (taken for 10 years or more) September 14, 2017

"The first day I tried Zoloft, I sat and looked out the window all day, watching it snow. All I could think of was how pretty it was. But it also made my heart beat VERY hard. I could feel my blood pounding through my head and neck harder than I'd ever felt before. My doctor had me try smaller doses, but even at 25mg the same thing happened. So no Zoloft for me. Which is a shame, since it really did show promise."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

"My story is a positive one and meant to give others hope that they can reclaim their lives and live a normal, happy, healthy one! Dec,2016 I became sick, overloaded, crying constantly & fearful. Dr. gave me Zoloft & Xanax, was terrified to take either, but started xanax once a day at .12mg and it eased anxiety soon went to .25 2x a day. Finally took Zoloft 25mg. Side effects were horrible! Upped to 37.5 after 2 months,2 months later 50.Wish I had listened and taken 50 mg First. My family forced me to stick with it, tho side effects were unbearable.Then One day ,4 weeks into the 50mg dose I felt like my old self. I was excited about life! Happy again. After a week I quit Xanax. I'm Working again &l oving life! Seek therapy! You can do it!"

Cara802 August 22, 2017

"I was skeptical about anti-depressants for a long time and decided to take them only as a last resort. I've been on 200mg of Zoloft for about 6 months now and the results are fantastic. I've had a tremendous improvement in mood, energy, and all around motivation to get up in the morning. I have also had zero side effects. Unless something changes I will continue to take this medication and recommend it to others as well."

James Finnegansz August 9, 2017

"I was on this medication previously and after a week gave up hope and stopped taking it. Recently my anxiety became out of control as did my depression. I literally had no hope left. I felt sad, lonely, out of focus, irritable, suicidal, and hopeless. I would wake up having panic attacks and go to sleep having panic attacks. I started researching ways to off myself and came very close. I decided to finally seek help and while awaiting my referral to see a psychiatrist my doctor gave me this medication. I am taking 100 mg once a day. It took a week of the medicine to feel the full effects but I feel happy again, focused, grounded, and way less anxious. I find myself laughing more, joking, smiling and not constantly anxious."

Jaws Nicollet July 30, 2017

"It's hard to know if it's working I feel down majority of the time and the only time I'm happy is when I'm ready for bed. I've been on Zoloft for 6 months now at 100mg I just want this to kick in already. Can I take anything else to help me?"

Vyzz June 20, 2017

"I just did a week of 25mg. I haven't noticed a difference. I haven't had bad side effects either. Tomorrow I will up the dose to 50mg. I'll be posting again next week."

Nervoussssssssssssss May 31, 2017

"Week 1 and 2 was hell. Week 3 and 4 was a bit better but still hell. I could not function really and I was thinking about death with some insomnia. No appetite that I lost 15 lbs. Beginning of Week 5 I felt the transition in a few hours. I put on the pants and went outside and bought a burger. I was just OK with being and I felt a transformation. I also started Bupropin for smoking a few days ago."

Frank es (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2017

"It's nothing. This did absolutely nothing for me. I didn't even have any side-effects, it was like taking a sugar pill or a placebo."

voskhod (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2017

"I've had a lot of success with Zoloft both as an antidepressant and for generalized anxiety disorder. It has worked for me for almost 2 years now and has really kept my symptoms under control. I'm of very small weight and sensitive to medications, so 25 mg works for me reasonably well. I have had to up my dosage to 50mg during times of high stress and it has helped so much. The only side effects I have experienced were a little nausea, some apathy, and insomnia. Other than that, I have tolerated this medication very well. It helps me put things into perspective and stops me from my having such negative, anxiety ridden thinking patterns. It helps me live in the moment and takes away a lot of my worries. I would definitely recommend."

FLGAL (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 6, 2017

"Zoloft actually changed my life. It's helped me cope with every day situations in an non reactive way. My thoughts have calmed down and my anxiety is minimal. I've actually lost 15 lbs on Zoloft. I started on 50mg and now I'm up to 200mg per day. I've been on it for about a year now and I like that it doesn't numb everything or make me super emotional or tired. I'm very well balanced. I just wish I could sleep better."

Fanni (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2017

"Developed deep depression. Resisted drugs for a while. GP recommended zoloft. First four weeks were hell then it has been excellent.The best I have felt for years. In Australia so drug very cheap. $13 dollars for month"

Big Australian A March 4, 2017

"I took 75 mg for 3 weeks and it didn't really move the needle for my depression. I thought around day 3 I felt a little better, but after that it was pretty much back to being depressed as I had been before. I did feel like I was less easily angered by things, which was nice. It did not help my social anxiety very much or at all. Side effects were not too bad. A little drowsiness the first few days. Some ringing in the ears. Decreased libido the first couple of weeks. The doctor has changed me over to Cymbalta, so we'll see if that works any better. I had high hopes for Zoloft, but I guess it just didn't work for me."

TheBurritoKing (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

"Zoloft is a fantastic AD. It gave me motivation and helped me get back out there into my life. It didn't work that well for anxiety, but your mileage may vary. Even switching up as little as 50mg would bring back the "punch" if it "pooped out." Highly recommend."

Psychtraveler (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2017

"I've suffered from all four (Panic/ anxiety/depression/bad thoughts) for 7 years I've never had panic attacks like I do now, I'm finding myself on the internet searching about panic/anxiety attacks how are they cause what causes them, searching more into the answer I got then searching more in to that answer I got and so on, it's to the point I'm scared to eat because I'm scared of having something to spike an attacks, try to avoid leaving my house let along the living room, my doctor gave me zoloft 25mg and I'm so scared to take it, what if it makes me worse what if it don't work, what if something happens while I have my kids alone, can I od, will I get addicted feel like I'm going crazy"

Alyssa M February 9, 2017

"I've been under going some health issue for the past 3 months. Doctors believe it's my anxiety & depression that are the problem. I've had anxiety & depression for about 16 years & never had issues like I'm experiencing now. But to rule out depression & anxiety I decided to start taking Zoloft as the doctor recommended. I took my first dose last night 50mg. (Side note, I had been on Zoloft before when I was younger). the night I took the first dose... my head felt kind of funny, still feels a little funny. I got drowsy. A little shaky. This morning I felt sick to my stomach. My eyes were dilated & I felt wired. I'm going to cut it in half tonight & see how that goes."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2016

"Overall a very good medication. It made me very drowsy when I first started on it but this passed after a couple weeks. It did a good job of keeping me stable. I would have loved to stay on it except I ended up developing severe urinary retention that got worse as my dose increased. (By severe I mean I was unable to sleep at night because I had to get up and pee every 5 mins and almost nothing would come out) After I went off it the urinary retention gradually went away and is now completely gone. Aside from that I got no noticeable side effects from it. I would definitely recommend this med, as urinary retention is a more rare side effect and I probably only experienced it because I am known to be sensitive to meds."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016