User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
6.3

Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 7.2 869 reviews

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Insomnia: "Did nothing for my insomnia. First night on it I felt relaxed but drugged, however I still could not fall asleep for hours. Still the same the following four nights so I threw the rest away, they also gave me a bad mood. The "Z" drugs like Zolpidem or Zopiclone work much better for me for insomnia. With those I can be asleep in 20 mins not hours!"

Gaz1985 (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For Depression: "Mirtazepine is excellent for depression, it has really lifted me out of a dark place. Also great for insomnia..sleep regular and like a baby from now on. I'd given up on other anti depressants due to the side effects- mainly the sweating and increase in anxiety when starting off and was trying to battle my depression solo. However this experience was no sweating and little increase in anxiety. Doesn't do much if you suffer from anxiety thus drug mainly helps depression. Does give me the munchies so watch your calorie intake"

Paul June 21, 2018

For Insomnia: "Dr prescribed 4mg a night 6 weeks ago for insomnia and nausea because I felt zopiclone and Ativan were not helping me sleep through the night. Yes the first week was filled with nightmares. My pharmacist told me to stick to it for one week and glad I did. I feel like my old self. Nausea is gone and my memory is even better. I was told the lower the dose the more it helps as a sleep aid and not as much as an antidepressant. Only problem is that I like my wine and more than 2 glasses and I’m out. I have gained some weight and have to watch it."

Evie (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2018

For Insomnia: "Mirtazapine has helped me immensely through my Cannabis Withdrawals, hot flashes, insomnia and depression all gone, even at a low dose of 7.5mg per night. I don't think people need to take such high doses as I have read online."

Ceedee (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "For the first week everything ran smoothly, I fell asleep within an hour of taking the medication and I had some vivid dreams (which I didn't mind, they were quite amusing). Then the second week came and I had suicidal thoughts, I stuck with it though because I though hey maybe it will get easier and I am notorious for not trying anti-depressants for long enough. After a while I noticed I was gaining weight, and after about 5kgs in a month I can't take it anymore. Weight was already an issue and I am restricting and bingeing constantly so I can never get a moment where I am not thinking about food. Overall taking this is doing nothing for me and I feel it is ok if you can deal with the weight issue."

c (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "I went from a size 4 to a size 10 in a matter of weeks. I couldn't wear my wedding rings or my clothes. It was totally water retention. One of my colleagues noticed how puffy I looked. So I confronted my doctor. "What is making me look l like a Macy's Thanksgiving parade balloon?" He looked sheepish and said, "That would be the Remeron." I demanded to be taken off the drug, and I could literally feel myself losing the water weight. Never again."

Missy June 17, 2018

For Depression: "I've been on 15 mg Mirtazapine each night for over two weeks now and just wanted to make a report here. In particular, I want to tell users to not necessarily worry about weight gain - I'm quite overweight and was worried about this, but for some reason I no longer feel hungry on Mirtazapine and am eating heaps LESS than usual - which is good for me, as I have started to lose weight at last. Am sleeping a bit better, panic attacks totally stopped, mood is just beginning to feel better (early days at the moment). I have had no bad side effects, and normally I can't take anti-depressants because of the side effects (migraines, feeling weird etc). So I am very happy with this medication and I'm hoping that given another week or two it will help with my depression."

limosa (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Insomnia: "Best drug ever for chronic insomnia. Also great for depression, anxiety, allergies, pain, stomach issues, and has no side-effect except increasing appetite slightly, just after taking it only. So after taking it don't binge eat and just go to sleep within 2 hours."

Darson (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 12, 2018

For Anxiety: "I take remeron, cymbalta, and concerta. With this combination, I went from staying in my room for 10 years and now have a full time job. Remeron saved my life"

Fox (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "Skip dose if you've had alcohol, or you may end up crawling on the floor, sick, no joke. The drug has a 30-hour half life so it's not a problem to skip a dose if you plan on drinking."

Whodini (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2018

For Anxiety: "I am taking mirtazapine 15mg for acute anxiety since February. I was on Citalopram before that but got insomnia, then I went on sertraline but side effects were worse and I got more anxiety. So along came Mirtazepine, first I thought it was a wonderful meditation I slept like a log and worry free for 6 weeks. But anxiety returned so my dose was upped to 30mg. Plus 40mg propranolol 3 times a day. I couldn’t sleep and things seemed a whole lot worse. So then I was upped to 45mg I was simply not able to “ do life “ so yesterday after 60 hours without sleep I was told to go back to just 15mg Mirtazepine and was given 14 Zopiclone and told to take 1 at night to get my sleep back in check. I am so confused, for 6 weeks I was brilliant no symptoms sleeping and eating now I don’t know what to think? Had anyone else experiencing similar, don’t really want to try yet another anti anxiety medication. Thanks Mini"

Mini June 7, 2018

For Anxiety: "Was previously on citalopram which hindered my sleep messed with digestion and made me gain weight on also found sleeping a problem. Was initially scared of trying mirtazepine because heard of weight gain so doctor put me on low dose. Started falling asleep easier metabolism speeded up and now losing the weight I put on with citalopram. Up to now I'm finding mirtazapine brilliant"

Kimbo (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

For Depression: "Hi guys, I have been taking Mitrazapine for over 5 years and it been great for me. The problem I have is I have always purchased the Terry White (I'm in Australia) branded mitrazapine 30mg, but I went in the other day to refill my script and straight away I noticed that it was a different brand (but still 30mg mitrazapine) I asked the chemist if I could please have their branded product and she insisted that it was the same. I now have not slept for two nights and feel very edgy. Am I mad or is it possible that there is such a different effectiveness or feeling from different brands?"

Ben N (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 5, 2018

For Anxiety: "Hi Taking 15mg a day for two weeks now. Initially felt very drowsy in the morning and not with it for the best part of the day. After 5 days, it has eased. Full ache in back of head. Drained of all enthusiasm, which is not me. Is this the medicine stabilising itself or my own stress and worry? Anyone else's views will be welcomed. Thanks."

Anon (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

For Hot Flashes: "I have taken mirtazapine since 2006, both to reduce my severe face flushing (rosacea) as well as to help with depression and anxiety. It works very well for all of those 3 for me. I noticed an improvement within weeks and I love how it took away the deepest depths of my depression, without numbing me or altering my personality. My anxiety is also significantly reduced and I no longer flush and burn all the time (I'd say it helps reduce about 50% of them). I also sleep like a log on it, typically 8 to 9 hours straight, with very pleasant and lively dreams. It took a good few months however to get over the side effects of drowsiness, tiredness, itchy legs, even some 'brain zaps' in the beginning. The only side effect I notice is increased appetite, never feeling full, always being hungry and despite sticking to the same amount of calories as before; weight gain. I know that is the biggest fear of many people. But the quality of life this med gave me outweigh (lol) to the downsides."

Natushka (taken for 10 years or more) June 5, 2018

For Depression: "Hey all, I was prescribed Mitrazapine when I was sectioned for trying to end my life (unfortunately). At first I hated it! I woke up feeling like a zombie, but after about 3 weeks I was so calm and didn’t feel spaced out, if anything more active! The only reason I’ve stopped taking this is because I work in a hospital and have night shifts on occasions (oh it makes you sleep lol)"

Dan (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I took this because I was severely suicidal and depressed due to seasonal MDD. I started it because my mother was worried and I though If I went on medication it would let her relax a little. It helped me sleep and completely erased my suicidal thoughts and urges. I got a restful full night’s sleep every night. At the start the downsides were an inability to focus, feeling extremely tired during the day and having my suicidal thoughts and urges increase drastically. These only lasted like a few days then everything was okay again. The only side effect that didn’t go away was weight gain, but I’d rather be heavier and alive than skinny and dead. I only went off of it because my depression is seasonal so I don’t need it at this time of year, but I will definitely start again in the fall."

Seasonal Sadness (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Insomnia: "Mirtazepine is the best treatment for chronic, idiopathic insomnia and concomitant depression. If you suffer from depression, insomnia and anxiety, forget everything else. Take mirtazapine 1 hr b4 bed and sleep like a baby."

Dave (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2018

For Anxiety: "Hello Fellow sufferers, I have been on Mirtizipine 15mg now for two weeks and it enables me to get a good nights sleep. I was getting terrible perpetual panic with butterflies in my stomach and jelly legs completely unable to function, unable to drive, confined to the house.This Mirtazipine 15mg immediately gave me a lovely nights sleep. Over Easter I did not sleep for six days and six nights and was in a very desperate state with my wife struggling to cope with looking after me. Severe anxiety is a terrible condition and it is essential that you give these anti depressant medications time to work. To become fully effective you should give it 6 to 8 weeks and in some cases longer than that. I am also prescribed Citalapram 40mg each morning and I am improving. Get morning butterflies in my stomach but the Jelly legs have gone. Appetite is also better. You need a lot of close support from family and friends but stay with your medication at least three months min. I live in the UK"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2018

For Depression: "I have been taking mirtazapine past 1 year. From the beginning it was working perfectly for me. I could sleep 12 hours , anxiety had disappeared and depression as well. I have been on 30 mg. But past two months I felt like Mirtazapine had stopped working for depression so I went to see my GP and he put me on 45 mg a day in two divided doses. I can't see any difference so I am going to visit psychiatrist tomorrow. I am so unhappy It has stopped working for me. I tried several SSRI before but It wasn't working that good as Mirtazapine. I am afraid of trying any other drugs because there is many side effect but I feel very depressed."

mishka May 20, 2018

For Insomnia: "I used to be prescribed Seroquel XR to help with mood swings and insomnia. I was a zombie all day, everyday. My doctor switched me to Remeron 30mg after I refused the Seroquel prescription. Remeron has made it possible to sleep all night and put on some needed weight. It has also helped with my depression and anxiety. I couldn't rate it a full 10 because every now and then it leaves me with a groggy feeling in the morning."

Bryce (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2018

For Insomnia: "I couldn't sleep at all for weeks and was prescribed rameron. The pill saved me from having to be on a bunch of pills because it does more than just help insomnia. I did have nightmares and gained a little weight but lost it when I went vegan. 45 mg and two years later and I feel like this pill actually made me calmer and able to cure my insomnia and the nightmares eventually went away completely. Plus it helped my mood by making me not depressed and I am glad I don't need four pills. If you have a problem gaining weight it can help you I was way too skinny without it."

Anon (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 14, 2018

For Depression: "I am writing because I highly value reviews. Please add the dose you take on this site for whatever med - it is really important. Everyone is different. Here is my input after 2x on this med @15 mg. It zonked me out at first which was awesome for sleep but that went away after 3-4 weeks. Depression has turned into "eh who cares" apathy with a hopeful smile, so little improvement. I am in a terrible home situation though, so I know the hard work is not via a pill. Also, it sucks but read reviews: almost all people gain weight. I weigh myself daily and it's insane, like a 1/2 lb a day gained. I will buy a water pill and see if it's retention. For sleep this can work like a (non-addictive) charm though."

Ecga (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2018

For Depression: "After suffering from anxiety, sleep problems and depression for a prolonged period, my GP prescribed me Mirtazapine 15mg initially and then onto 30mg for the past 2 years. I can say that as soon as the dosage was upped to 30mg I found sleeping issues were gone fairly quickly. However, I don't feel as though the issues with anxiety and depression have been helped any from taking the pills. I still feel extremely anxious at times, so much so that I feel afraid to attempt things. And as far as the depression and mood control are concerned. I still feel angry a lot of the times, mostly internalized and kept to myself. Or I can be sat watching TV and find myself welling-up and crying at everything. So needless to say I am not feeling the benefits that others have. I do have the weight gained issues others have mentioned and have gained almost 4 stone over the time I have been on them."

Sheydee (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2018

For Insomnia: "Great medicine! I was initially prescribed this for insomnia but almost instantly felt a difference in my mood and creativity. I have GI but it doesn’t aggravate those issues, and I still have my sex drive! I’m sleeping through the night and while it does take a few minutes to get myself together in the morning, I haven’t had any issues when oversleeping."

Venus434 (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018