User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Insomnia 105 reviews 110 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 16 reviews 5 medications

6.9
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 527 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I have been taking Remeron 45mg.approx 2 years. Gained about 20 lbs, my son passed and I ate comfort food,thought I could get it off fast.I did lose the weight,now my cholesterol is very high and ALL the statins does NOT mesh with (Remeron) I either have a rash or itch.I am going to get my Dr. to decrease it and or stop it gradually and get my cholesterol down then maybe start back on it.When my son passed I ate Edwards pies, the whole thing in a day and or ice cream daily,(the whole box) The PTSD comes on every once in a while,or I have a really bad nightmare.The thought of a heart attack is not worth it. Had PTSD,since I was 11 years old and had so many diagnosis thrown at me that did NOT fit, I know its PTSD,NOW! Remeron helps me!"

Cameo Tx (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2016

For Depression: "I'm going into my 3rd month on this medication.what can I say it helped with my anti depression but the weight gain is a joke!!! I'm 30 years old.always sat about 52 kilos and now weight 61 kilos. I'm in my 1st week of my 3rd month. I feel worse then before as iv gained so much weight in such a short time.iv had to go out and by all new clothes which makes me sad that iv gotten that big. Now the sleeping I sleep I always sleep and find it so hard to wake up.this is horrible and I suggest going down all other avenues be for taking this drug."

breeza July 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was prescirbed 15mg at night so scared to take this after what i had read so i started on just a quarter of a tablet and thank god i did this tiny piece of tablet nearly had me passing out what would a whole one do?"

oldgraymare (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2016

For Depression: "Miracle drug for me. I had a very bad reaction to SSRIs (hospitalised for some days) and amitriptyline (couldn't stop sleeping) before my GP suggested we try mirtazapine for my mood and migraine management. I started on 15mg. My migraines were unchanged (now managed by topimarate), but my mood has improved a thousandfold - while formerly I was very much reclusive, self-loathing, and suicidal, I can now leave my flat and socialise! My college grades are back up to standard, and I've found myself generally enjoying life. Overall a huge improvement - still a way to go, but having just upped my dose to 30mg the future seems bright. Side effects are minimal - I sleep much better now. Avoid alcohol though, it doesn't mix too well with the pills."

A. Nonny Mouse (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "This medicine changed my life.. It made me feel well and travel freely without any anxiety stmptoms or panic attacks.. It was amazing for me.. Until suddenly i started to notice that am gaining weight. I was 53 kilograms.. And after taking remeron for three months am 78 kilograms. It made me feel hungry.. Cravings sweets, pastas, pizzaz... What ever i eat and how much will still keep me hungry.. Now it is depressing me because i gained weight and this changed how i use to look And sizes Am now on my fourth month of this medicine.. 30 mg.. And my anxiety and panic attacks are 30% back. My dr. Recomended to increase the dose to 45mg.. But i refused. Cbt is doing well.. But am depressed about this medicine.. Tried many others but got allergy"

Hamood als July 11, 2016

For Depression: "I've had a lot of success with this drug. I was always distracted, unmotivated, anxious, and down. Remeron gave me clarity of mind, healthy appetite, nice sleep through the night ( and great,vivid dreams). My only negative comment is when you mix this drug with the wrong thing, you feel like you are going to die. If you're relatively healthy, not on many other drugs, don't do any drugs or drink a lot it's a very helpful and basically side effect free. But one time i was an idiot and drank quite a bit and took it as usual, before bed. I was on the ground crawling to my bed- i felt awful. I also tried to quit smoking with a nicoderm patch and i woke up feeling so dizzy, shaking and light headed- very scary."

JayLH1992 July 10, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Started 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine on June 3rd for anxiety and depression. My episode started in the begging of May and I was having good days and bad days. After starting the mirtazapine, I still feel general sadness and not myself. I had moments of clarity but just wasn't feeling enough affect. After three weeks, I upped my dose to 15 mg. I immediately felt better and like my old self. I was so excited but that only last for a week. The last two days the depression/sadness has crept back in along with the worrying. I called the doc to see about upping my dosage to 30mg. She wants me to give it another week and then go back and talk about upping the dosage or trying a different med. I can't do SSRI's. they sent me off the deep edge."

JWinsy July 6, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've had a very strange experience with this medication. I've been suffering from chronic insomnia for a couple of years now - I've been prescribed every sleeping aid under the sun. Having had bad experiences with most tablets - Zopiclone (evil stuff - always feel irritable and miserable after taking it), Trazadone (spaced out, constipated with a really dry mouth!), antihistamines (don't work at all), Zolpidem (fall asleep for 2 hours, wake up and can't go back to sleep) Anyway, you get the picture! When I take Mirtazapine (7.5mg) I fall asleep roughly 30 mins later and sleep for a solid 9 hours! Sounds good....however, the next day I feel SO weird...detached from reality to the point where I can't function on any level :-("

Lozenger_85 July 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "Im not surev about this medication, I have hade good days and horrible ones. I think this has made my anxietie way worse. The withdrawl symptoms are horrible, i will never take this again."

keegs3324 July 1, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was so scared to try these tablets. But I must say mood wise I'm feeling fab.They do help you sleep better and have vivid dreams but ive not had any scary ones! and they do make you feel like you don't want to wake up but you soon get out of it once your running around doing things. I looked them up on the net and saw nothing but scare stories. I started on 15mg and was terrified due to what id read. But they was fab! then I went to 30mg as people can start going downhill again on 15mg its completely normal. Then I went to 45mg and they sent me loopy (high serotonin levels) but after 3 days back to 30mg I was fine. I still get panic attacks but pills wont fix that problem. self help and cbt therapy fixes that apparently."

justhayley (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

For Depression: "I started taking this medicine due to a bad boutique of depression. The only side effects that I have had are very strange dreams (which isn't a bad thing there all funny dreams no bad ones) and also finding it hard to wake up in a morning due to sleeping like a log. This usually lasts around 30 mins and I have to literally force myself out of bed which is hard some days. On the plus side after around 30mins I feel refreshed and better than I have for a long long time and I would rate the treatment a success. One thing to note if you drink more than a few pints of beer it will not be the treatment for you as it does not mix well with alcohol"

Secret knight (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've been taking it for depression/anxiety for about seven years now. The 1st time I took it I got a horrible restless feeling an hour after taking it..it was really horrible, pretty unbearable but after the second day I was fine. It is an excellent sleep aid, it knocks you out into a deep sleep with really vivid and usually pleasant dreams..getting out of bed afterwards is the only hard part! It leaves you pretty groggy and sedated for the start of the day. Everybody else is rushing around work getting stuff done and my brain is operating on half speed. For that reason I'm thinking of tapering off it. I also have a sense of apathy..everything is 'ok'..even when it's not..take it to get yourself better but get off it when you can"

jobobby1 June 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "This medication has been brilliant for anxiety, insomnia and getting my appetite back. However, if you read the side effects of mirtazapine, it does indicate that weight gain is one of the main side effects of this medication regardless of how little you eat. READ IT! If you eat twice as much as usual you will become very overweight. Mirtazapine has really helped my depression, anxiety, insomnia and lack of appetite. I have put on 2 stone in 5 months on 15 mgs a day and that's without 'pigging out' I have decided to taper off by taking 15 mgs every other day for a couple of weeks then down to 15mgs 1 in3 days and see how it goes. I have started to notice a difference already I'm not mad enough to stop it completely its helped me so much"

Anonymous June 26, 2016

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This is a wonder drug for my Depression. However, the only drawback is to me it is physically addicting."

Foxtrotz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

For Depression: "I had really severe depression for years and different anti-depressants weren't helping. The doctor decided to try me on 45mg of mirtazapine and although the transition period was difficult, I've never had a bad day since. Cannot rate this medication higher for how much it has helped me."

Jean bean June 17, 2016

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "At first, I took Remeron and I was knocked out for a full day. I was underweight and had panic anxiety. This really helped me. After the first day my body seemed to adjust to Remeron and by the 3rd day, I didn't have any tired feeling at all. It definitely helped me with sleep. I am now on 30 x 2 tabs a day and have been on this for years. I am actually afraid to get off of it. It has helped me through very difficult times."

bumarel June 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "I suffer from Sever Psychotic Depression I've been taking mirtazapine for up to 6 to 7 months. it worked well at the start but after a month it was like stuffing medication inside me and nothing helping. just yesterday I got 30mg and it helped a lot, maybe they help at the start but I'm scared I will get addicted . I have gained 3 stones because of the medication . I cant stop eating and after eating a big meal I'm still hungry, I feel lazy most of the time, Quetiapine is a failure, it will only help to fall asleep 30 mins or an hour after taking it, but the next morning i feel worse hallucinations and illusions i will request you to see how it goes for the first moth , if theres any cure then great if not the please tell a Psychiatris"

zahraa-ali1997 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2016

For Insomnia: "I find a few crumbs of mirtzapine a great aid to sleep. I can get about 10 doses out of a 30mg tablet. I tend to use it at weekend as it sometimes leaves me a little drowsy the next day. I was originally prescribed 30 mg daily for depression but found that way too heavy. Now it's just occasional use if I've not been sleeping too well. But super small doses are effective for sleep and you can avoid the side effects."

Jellbean June 11, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I tried this after Citalopram quit on me after about 5 years. What an awful drug for me. It did little for my anxiety and OCD. Some OCD symptoms actually worsened and weaning off it caused extreme anxiety to the point of panic attacks. I'm finally off it after the final rude downshift and am trying Zoloft with good redults so far. Good riddance to bad rubbish."

Colour Voice 1000 June 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "I had been experiencing post partum anxiety and severe insomnia for a few weeks. After having tried almost every natural alternative out there, I was becoming increasingly desperate. Reading of the experiences of other mums in my situation and what worked for them, I decided to mention this medication to my new doctor and thankfully, he agreed to give it a try (SSRIs had never worked for me in the past and had made my anxiety 10X worse). The 15mgs I take nightly have been a godsend. Despite the slight wooziness after the initial dose, I now sleep so well & can throughly enjoy my waking life with my baby again! Highly recommended to other mums with these same symptoms."

Liz Incarnate (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2016

For Depression: "My doctor prescribed Mirtazapine to me after seeing him for depression, anxiety and sleeping problems since he through it would tackle all 3 problems with one prescription. I started with 15mg, then went to 30mg cause it wasn't enough and then to 45mg because 30 stopped working. 45mg and 30mg started giving me extreme anxiety and heart palpitations. I spent 3 months on Mirtazapine and it was only good for the first month (which is reversed compared to others). Im on Cipralex (Lexapro/escitalopram) for a week now and when I stopped the mirt., last night, my palpitations went away. I now see clearly that mirt. caused my anxiety to sky rocket and my heart to race uncontrollably. My pulse was about 96-100bpm daily, even at resting heart rate."

bec190 June 7, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed Remeron at 7.5 mg for persistent insomnia. I have had episodic insomnia for years - usually of comparatively brief duration (3 mos) and occurring following a major life change ( I.e. Death of parents, job loss, etc.). A short course of Zopiclone did the trick in those cases, but this time things were different. Over the course of many months my sleep quality and duration changed significantly. Despite a good sleep hygiene practice, I was taking 2+ hours to get to sleep; awakening 2-3 times/nite; and getting less than 4 hours sleep. Remeron began working for me from the first night and has improved in effectiveness over time. I take it 1 hour before bed; fall asleep in 30 mins or so; stay asleep all night; awaken naturally"

Shazzeryyc (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Seemed to help the depression but the tiredness left me unable to function. I was on this for a year and was unemployed for most of it, this meant it didn't matter than I found it impossible to wake up before lunch time. No matter how early I took the pill (6pm) I would be sound asleep 20 minutes later and could easily sleep 15-16 hours on these. I recently got a job and could not wake up enough to function at work. I had to stop taking them and now I can easily wake at 7am and last the entire day at work. I would consider these more of a sedative than an antidepressant."

Emmy3983094i June 3, 2016

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "I have taken 15 mg Remeron for about 5 days so far and it already is a miracle pill for me. I am slightly underweight and had constant anxiety, but so far this medication has vastly improved my appetite and I just feel relaxed, but not in an drugged feeling way. I actually enjoy food and am no longer as picky of an eater as I was before, which is awesome. It also helps with sleep, as it certainly has a sedative effect after you take it. I was really groggy and tired the first day after I took it, but have been fine and energized everyday since. I know every medication affects people differently, but if you are depressed and not worried about weight gain, give this a shot."

-D- May 25, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Started on 15mg 1 week ago now. My very first impressions were awful- I was so tired and groggy, as well as ravenously hungry. I am not sure why I was given this drug; I specifically said I do not have trouble sleeping, in fact, I sleep too much when I am low and I am overweight to boot. Now I have a great excuse to retreat to bed because I am tired a lot of the time and when I am not tired my brain feels foggy and my short term memory is fuzzy. I do physically demanding work that I can't keep up with well at the moment. As for my mood, I am definitely more irritable and no less low so far but I will give this another week and see what happens."

Twitch123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2016