User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Hot Flashes 1 reviews 19 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 16 reviews 5 medications

6.9
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 597 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Anxiety: "I was dismissed from work 6 months ago despite delivering very good results. It was a shock and sent me into depression and anxiety including a stay at the psychiatric ward. At most I was treated with 30 mg stesolid (diazepam) in addition to increasing doses of sertraline (zoloft). The sertraline has helped lift the depression and also anxiety while still on stesolid. But my anxiety became almost unbearable when I started withdrawing from stesolid. My doctor recommended mirtazapine, but I left it unused after having seen many bad reviews. I finally gave it a try 3 days ago. It has worked very well for me; 3rd day off stesolid and today there is almost no anxiety! Some interesting dreams and a bit increased apetite but so far so good!"

FlyingD (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

For Depression: "Update to Original post.... I was taking my Mirtazapine 45mg in the morning, because I didn't feel the sedation at night. However, after talking with my husband, we agreed that taking it at night as prescribed will give me the best results. I started 2 nights ago with my evening dose. I took it earlier in the evening around 7p. By 11:00p I began to get sleepy. Not a KNOCKED OUT type of sleepy, but a good sleepy. Since then, I have gotten a full nights sleep and I wake refreshed. I then take my Welburtin 300 XL and I am ready for the day. I haven't notice a lot of daytime sleepiness either. That may be due to the WB. I really feel like this combo is going to do wonders for me."

Dolly6472 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

For Anxiety: "I started taking Mirtazapine 15mg 5 weeks ago as I was in a very bad place with Pure obsessive Disorder and GAD. It has been really helpful in controlling my Generlised Anxiety and has allowed me to enjoy my Christmas and New year and life again. It hasn't really helped with my pure obsessional thoughts directly but has really helped lower my anxiety which does trigger my pure obsessional thoughts so indirectly I suppose it has made them more controllable. I've had no weight gain and weight has remained the same through out. The only side effects were sleepiness and drowsiness in 1st week. If you are worried about gaining weight on this drug then I suggest weighing yourself before and during taking it. I would definitely recommend it"

Fretbuzz119 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

For Anxiety: "Is a tricky drug but cons out weigh pros I experienced weight gain good if under weight not good for someone already appetite like me took a month to experience antidepressant and anti anxiety properties also helped with sleep but had bad effect on intellectual ability and totally ruined sex drive and actually made me more anxious in mornings and caused head aches when I tried to stop taking so would not recommend why do doctor s push the SSRI s all the time when Valium far more effective for sleep and anxiety problems this and St Johns and comprehensive supplements and improved diet and active lifestyle s far better choice"

lifelove (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2017

For Depression: "I take Wellbutrin XL 300mg every morning for my depression. Feeling like I needed a lil something more, my Dr. put me on Miratapine 30mg daily. I had no side effects with this combo. And I know that many ppl on 30 mg say that 30 mg knocks them out. It wasn't that way for me. I had no problems waking and starting my day. After 3 weeks... I still didn't feel any difference. My Dr upped my rx to 45 mg a day. I had been taking my WB in the AM and Mirt at night. When we increased the Mirt, I found it harder to fall asleep. and waking up thru out the night. Since, Mirt is known for the sleepiness at lower levels. I split my rx and took 7.5mg at night and the rest in the AM along with my WB. This combo now is working really nice for me."

Dolly6472 January 5, 2017

For Insomnia: "I didn't have much luck with this one. The first night I took 15 mg I slept through the night. After that, I could fall asleep for an hour or two but then would be up for 3 or so hours. The increase in appetite was a plus for me."

Mahuls (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

For Anxiety: "Very effective very minor side affects"

Phil125 January 2, 2017

For Anxiety: "Was juggling a family, 30hr p/t job & unive full time, whilst dealing with immediate relatives that were either ill or dying. Needless to say I hit rock bottom, was underweight & felt like I was walking the 'Green Mile'!! I can only describe the feeling as if my body was running on 'flight' mode. Clearly the extra adrenaline was needed as I was being pulled from pillar to post with deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. It got too much. No appetite, constant weight of despair on my chest, insomnia and endless worry. After a week of taking Mirt, the anxieties disappeared as did the despair. Felt normal but not in a drugged up way. Was able to sleep/wake well and focus."

U.K. Lady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2016

For Depression: "Hi, I have been on mirtazaphine for 4 months and found it to be quite good. It mostly helps me get a good sleep and has helped with my depression and anxiety. I have only been on 15 mg's and find that sufficient. Only side effect was weight gain, which has stabilized now with some exercise and control over what I eat. I have read a lot of the comments on here and it is helpful. It also appears a lot of people have had it tough, as have I. I think mirtazapine (or any other medication) is just part of the road to recovery or long term management of an illness or sympton. Wish everyone the best."

CrusinDave December 29, 2016

For Depression: "Male, 28, 150 lbs. I've taken mirtazapine for about a year, 30 and now 45 mg/day. I also take 150mg of Effexor. The combination has worked wonders for me. Mirtazapine is so unique among the antidepressants. More sedating than the others, but a tolerance develops over time so that this groggy side-effect becomes more tolerable. My favorite thing about mirtazapine is the elaborate dreams I have, especially when taken with effexor. It regulates a lot of my life, including appetite, sleep, and sexual function (all positively). One odd thing is, these medications seem to blur the line between the dream world and reality. They also have the power to change a person, and are somewhat addictive when used long-term. Be careful."

Bad Influence December 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have GAD. Mirtazapin made me sleep like a kid, and made my anxiety low and I felt more safe."

Zerotonin December 28, 2016

For Insomnia: "Extremely effective at curing my insomnia. I struggled to sleep, probably due to anxiety related to my job/future for over a year. It took over 2 hours to sleep, and even then sometimes I couldn't. I was continually getting under 5 hours of sleep, and sometimes only 2 a night. It really cost me big time! If you are suffering from a similar case, give the drug a try. My appetite increased a lot, so I am expecting weight gain."

ajsim December 28, 2016

For Insomnia: "I started mirtazapine a little over a month ago. I played with the dose at anywhere from 7.5 to 15 mg and settled on 3/4 of the 15 mg or about 11 mg as my sweet spot for getting anywhere from 7 to 8.5 hours a sleep a night. I have not gained weight on it and have had no side effects except for feeling a little groggy the first half hour after waking. I was able to successfully taper off Lunesta, which I had been taking for about six months after a bout with severe insomnia, with the Mirtazapine, and I prefer the more natural Mirtazapine sleep over the Lunesta. It also works every night without fail. Great drug for insomnia!"

nolongersleepless (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2016

For Anxiety: "Before taking this medicine, I had severe anxiety/depression. I was constantly nauseous to the point where I quit eating and got down to 90lbs and was having panic attacks nonstop. I couldn't sleep. I just felt like I wanted to die because I didn't want to live my life like that anymore. I was so scared to try taking antidepressants for the first time because I've read so many bad things. But I finally did it and I've been on 15mg mirtazapine for about a month and a half now and I can't remember the last time I had a panic attack, I don't want to die anymore, I sleep through the night, and I can eat again! I do still have some general anxiety but this medication has saved my life!! I actually feel like myself again and am able to function"

Briii December 20, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have been using Mirtazapine for over 10 years, I started with a does of 15mg which worked wonderful with insomnia, however during the time of first using it I was suffering from anxiety, and my doctor up the dose to 30mg which I was on for a few years, until anxiety became worse, which he up the dose to 45mg which I found was to strong as I noticed that dizziness started to happen, so I halfed the dose of 45mg and it all settled down. The dose was a little low, so I went back to 30mg and have been on this dose for the last 6 years. I do not get side effects from this medication of weight gain, or dizziness and even photo sensitive, I have been on it for quite some time and do not plan on getting off it as it works wonderful."

Brightspark (taken for 10 years or more) December 18, 2016

For Anxiety: "Been on sertraline for anxiety however my limbs have had a constant ache so doc changed me to mirtazapine 15mg . I took half a tablet b4 bedtime last night & slept well but woke up totally zombified. ....I am a carer so can't function feeling like this so wont be taking anymore!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

For Insomnia: "I tried it for one night it made me feel drugged- relaxed but drugged but unable to sleep. The next day I felt off all day, complete body soreness. I was a complete grump. I was on a short fuse that day. I felt drugged the whole day, I have been take Ambien CR for about four years now and it is the only sleep medication that works for me. Mirtazapine I had a really bad reaction it isn't for me."

Beckie1989 December 8, 2016

For Insomnia: "Just been prescribed these as I have just had a manic episode with anxiety and insomnia. At first I was frightened to take them and had the prescription sitting for two weeks, the gp said getting some sleep will help with recovery. These definitely knock you out at 15mg. This is the third night and I feel rested although drugged throughout the day, having some amazing dreams.All my body feels calm and just relaxed which is an absolute godsend after the last few weeks. There is no way I could drive so I will have to contact the doc as I won't be able to take these when I go back to work. I developed a bad reaction to sertraline which I had taken for a couple of years, alongside lamotrigine and quetiapine for bipolar. I would recommend these."

Clairabelle December 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "Initially prescribed 15mg after 2 weeks and no improvement dosage upped to 30mg per day with the option to take an additional 15mg for anxiety. Week 1 well to be fair i really didn't know if I was awake or asleep - it was like an out of body experience. I was unable to function whatsoever. Week 2 dropped myself to 2 tablets to try and regain some function and normality this helped for around 1 week. That was when everything then started moodiness anxiety lThese pills have turned my world upside down and now I am an irrational nasty fearfull and genrally unwell person. I'm going to the gp tomorrow to stop these as they are terrible for me."

Kandix123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've been on it for 8 months after dentist told me I was grinding teeth at night. Post lymphoma cancer patient so its been a rough few years. Am on 15mg tabs Its been fine but after 4 months notice its getting harder to lose weight. Not sure if its my age, 59, or partly the medication. My worry is getting off it. I tend to go colder turkey and have noticed I don't sleep well when I stop. And have vivid dreams for a while. I do sleep better when on it, but it does change the feeling of connection with things around me. Only slight but noticeable. I find it a bit worrying to be reliant on a pill and am seeing its going to take a while to get off it. Although not addictive I can see it can be emotionally addictive."

Plymatic December 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "Diagnosed with depression, S.A.D. and anxiety, all because of my sleep, or lack of. Felt like a zombie everyday and would wake up on average 40 times a night, falling asleep for no longer then an hour then anxious all night and angry knowing I was wide awake. Prescribed mirtazapine 15mg one tablet before bed. It has worked wonders for me, I'm able to go to sleep for about 3 or 4 hours then when i do wake up in not wide awake or angry and can go back to sleep. Granted I only sleep for 20 mins at a time afterwards but I'm calm. It has been 3 months on and im still going OK. Id like to get off them soon so fingers crossed!"

Chris Cap December 4, 2016

For Insomnia: "I suffered a neurotoxic reaction to another drug, metronidazole; it caused lesions for form on my brain. This led to neuropsychiatric symptoms, including severe anxiety, major depression, suicidal thoughts (just a month before, I was happy), and horrible insomnia. I was given mirtazapine and it greatly helped, especially the insomnia. I had barely slept for eight days--even Ambien couldn't knock me out after the first night (I'd never taken a sleeping pill in my life and even Ambien couldn't help). Mirtazapine was a life-saver, literally. Metronidazole had overstimulated my central nervous system and mirtazapine helped to calm it down. It took longer to treat the other symptoms, but they, too, resolved."

RienJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2016

For Insomnia: "I started taking this when I was coming off Valium. I was getting 3 hours of sleep and waking in cold sweats. I added mirtazapine and I started getting a full 8 hours. Small doses of this work better for sleep than larger doses. Prescribed 7.5 mg but found my "sweet spot" at about 5mg after chiseling off a little bit of the pill. This is excellent for sleep. Some people can get great sleep on 3.75 mg. The higher doses are used more as an antidepressant. If you are suffering from insomnia I would definitely give this a try."

Geddy Lifeson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2016

For Anxiety: "I started taking Mirtazapine almost a month ago and its been a wonder drug for me. Needed something for crippling anxiety + panic attacks, depression, chronic insomnia, sleep paralysis,night terrors, self medication with alcohol just to sleep and quell anxiety. Prescribed 15 mg at bed-time. Took 1/4 (3.75 mg) a night for 4 nights, then 1/2 (7.5 mgs) for two nights and then on to 15 mgs. Now I sleep (but can wake up if needed), zero anxiety, no increase in appetite. I've even lost a bit of weight do to no longer drinking alcohol - a small miracle in itself and my libido has returned. I had a terrible reaction to Prozac years ago - anorexia, self harm, mania, no libido, alcohol cravings, intrusive thoughts. So glad my doctor gave me Mirt."

Aussie Chick (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2016

For Depression: "After trying a mixture of anti-depressants, I was put on Mirtazapine at 35mg, this strength seemed to exasperate my symptoms, making me feel almost crazy, the doctor upped the dose to 45mg and this seemed to be the perfect formula for my body. After 2 or so years I've decided to wean myself off them with the doctors help, back on a 35mg dose and finding myself struggling, feel exactly as I did when I was on 35mg three years ago. I think Mirtazapine can help, it just depends whether your body is compatible with it and even if it is, fine tuning the right strength is imperative."

D Grey (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2016