User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Hot Flashes 1 reviews 19 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 19 reviews 5 medications

6.3
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 690 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Depression: "The drug did well for me to decrease anxiety and increase my appetite. I had lost a lot of weight because the anxiety kept me from eating. However, I got terrible leg muscle spasms at night and was unable to sleep at all some nights and only partial nights on the nights I did sleep. Lack of sleep created its own problems. When I went off it for a day the muscle spasms decreased but the anxiety returned."

anonymous0113 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Was prescribed for anxiet. I don't get anxiety daily but certain situations cause horrible anxiety and panic so doctor thought this might keep me calmer overall to avoid moments of panic. Started on 7.5mg for 6 days. First few days on that felt like I was on a low dose of diazepam. Then felt nothing. Increased to 15mg for three weeks. Noticed I still felt anxious in same situations. Upped to 22.5. Anxiety felt worse. Went back down to 15mg and tapering off it. No withdrawal symptoms lowering dose. Currently on 7.5mg at 5 weeks of being on this. I sleep deeply on it but have very vivid dreams. I've experienced sleep paralysis one night which was scary. Some other horrible dreams too occasionally. Have had increased appetite."

Btcctb (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I take 15 mg of Mirtazapine 1 hour before going to bed and difficulty falling asleep is gone. Difficulty staying asleep is gone, and deep, refreshing sleep increase. I have felt no side-effects, its great for allergies too. So my rhinitis is in remission. Daytime mood is great. All in all this is the best drug for chronic insomnia/idiopathic insomnia. I have tried eszopiclone, zolpidem, diazem, alprazolam, trazodone, escitalopram, doxepin and Mirtazapine is the best of them. Best antidepressant ever and best hypnotic ever."

PraiseAdonai July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "I've been taking Remeron for a little over a month now. Since taking it I do sleep better however I have been having very strange unusual dreams that I wouldn't regularly dream about. My dreams are more vivid and life like although I know it's not real. Also the day after taking the medication I can't seem to fully wake up - like I never feel fully rested."

Mander Rae July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION!!! I have lost at least 50% of my hair! This is horrible. I've had no other changes but this medication."

jasminemeany July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Had tried Escitalopram, Doxepin and almost everything else before I was prescribed Mirtazapine. Within a week to two I felt like myself again, my anhedonia disappeared and I started taking interests in things again. work and interest in hobbies has returned and I am sleeping better than ever with nary a feeling of drowsiness in the am. For depression or insomnia this is the pill to take."

Carrib (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have heard mixed things about this drug, different people having very mixed experiences. From my personal experience it really wasn't the right drug for me. I have suffered from major depressive disorder, anxiety and panic disorder for 3-5 years (I'm 18) and it didn't seem to help as much as sertraline/Zoloft did. And not to mention how mind numbingly tired I have felt, I was told the sedation would go away but for me it stayed. Also strangely my insomnia got worse when my doctor thought it would help? So I guess if you already suffer with insomnia it might not be for you either, but it's worth a go I guess. If you're not on a high dose it's reasonably easy to quit, easier to stop than Zoloft I'd say. Thanks for reading and good luck!"

hollyh678 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "god sent for anxiety"

Anonymous July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have battled anxiety, worrying, can't shut my mind off insomnia for several years. I usually take .75 mg of Xanax at night to relax me & help me sleep but I am starting to require more and that bothers me. Last yr, my nurse practitioner started me on Remeron 15 mg but told me to take half and see how that goes. She says I can take it with a little bit of Xanax but I may want to take them within an hour of each other, not at the same time. Wow does this help for sleep and I only take less than half a tablet, just under 7.5 mg, sometimes a quarter of a tablet. I am sleeping better that's for sure and my mood has improved but I have noticed I crave carbs big time and I've put on some weight this past year.. well known side effect!"

Kaz411 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "This med, at 15 mg, causes sleepiness within an hour. After 6 weeks I actually lost 1 kilo in weight, so weight gain isn't inevitable."

Slppp July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Since beginning meds all I want to do is sleep, eat, and pee! Abdominal pain is the worse part after one week. More depressed and sad than before. This is the first new antidepressant medication after a 3 week drug holiday because Lexapro and Effexor didn't help either. Am I doomed to dealing with feeling depressed and anxious without meds?"

Gaw (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: " I have Persistent Depressive Disorder. This meds effects are apparent rapidly within 1 week. It's side-effects are all positive. no stomach problems. no insomnia. allergies are taken care of. for dysthymia this is the best medicine ever."

CCCarson45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I finally wound up on Remeron about 15 years ago (circa 2002), after going through many SSRI antidepressants. All of the SSRI's I have tried have caused sexual side effects that I don't want to tolerate (delayed ejaculation). Remeron does not do this, in fact it seems to make it very easy to achieve orgasm. The only downside to Mirtazapine is that it increases your appetite and you have to fight the urge to eat too many carbs. It controls my anxiety, depression and OCD excellently."

Dale in Atlanta (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I think it's gonna help me just got on it yesterday with 1mg xanax "

Texaschic98 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I was on this medication for approximately 8 weeks. I felt it did a great job with helping to sleep @ night but I felt more and more anxious and not able to sit still for long. It did help a bit with anxiety attacks but overall I would say this drug was mostly beneficial for sleeping at night."

Allisgood123 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I found this drug increases appetite rapidly and is very sedating, I do not feel it has worked for depression or anxiety, I am on the maximum dose and take it alongside another anti depressant. I have taken for approx 12 months, I am now reducing with the aim of stopping due to the weight gain and lack of real benefit."

RknR July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I am on 45mg Mirtazapine for PTSD and major depression, it has helped me a lot. I'm sort of at a plateau at the moment, I've been very down and hard to stop myself from getting suicidal again. I've had a lot of side effects like dizziness, fatigue, weight gain even though I don't eat a lot, nausea etc. I tried to go down a dose but got really bad (suicidal) so doc put me back up and said I have to stay on it. I hasn't helped with my nightmares​, which are making me so exhausted. But in a bubble Mirtazapine is keeping me alive so it's obviously working."

Flopzy July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "My GP prescribed this drug to me to help me sleep as I have Borderline personality disorder and OCD. I was to take 1 tablet a couple hours before bedtime; I done just that. Within an hour, I started to feel slightly paralyzed and severely slow like a sloth. By two hours I wasn't able to properly hold a sentence without slurring. I went to bed and felt like I fell asleep instantly. The next morning on the School run I was completely unable to get up. My child stayed home and watched tv next to me whilst I slept until 12pm. I awoke feeling severely slow and like I had severe depression. The effects lasted until the next morning. Anyhow I took half a tablet a week later and the same effects were there but not as severe. PLEASE BE CAREFUL."

Viper15 July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This medication made me soo tired. I would wake up at normal time, eat and then sleep. This process just kept repeating. I couldn't function and had to stop after 1 week. The effect wore off after a day."

Mr S (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Bye bye insomnia. The good outweighs the bad for me at least. After having anxiety attacks after going so long without sleep, I am finally at peace. I am sleeping not much long after taking 7.5 mgs of Mirtazapin. The lucid dreams are a plus. I have woke up crying from nightmares (family member just passed) I am back to sleep within 10-20 minutes. These cravings suck I'm going to try to fight [some] urges. I came up with-drinking sixteen ounces of water before each time I stuff my face, and staying in motion. 3 pounds gained this month. The worst part in my opinion is getting up to start my day. I feel exhausted, craving more sleep. I push through that even if that means starting my day off slowly. I'M SLEEPING AGAIN!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Remeron at 30mg prescribed during Geodon treatment for my Supposed bipolar disorder . Geodon induced insomnia for the first time in my 43 years. Therefore the Remeron was given. I stopped Geodon when finally figuring out it's effects. Continued to take Remeron. Weight gain, hand swelling and narrow angle closure is what happened to me. I am tapering off. There can be withdrawal symptoms in some."

Tc343 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I see a lot of negative reviews on here of people who have only just started the medication.. all I can say is that you need to actually be on it for more than 2 weeks to even begin to be able to judge it. I've been on mirtazapine 45mg for about 8 months and I find it to be great an enhancing energy, motivation, creativity and social behaviour. There is no depression anymore whatsoever. The only negative thing is perhaps I am a bit emotionally blunted, but that is a fair trade off."

Ron1234 June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I went on this for depression. I was excited about it because I was also very, very underweight and my Dr said it would help me gain weight and get healthy and happy again. Took it and it was like I'd been tranquilized. I felt myself passing out and could barely get my laptop off of my lap and on to the floor in the time it took to fall asleep. I felt like I was hammered. I was all giggly and tired. Fell asleep and slept for many hours. Had to stop it after less than a week because I couldn't wake up. Had no concept of time. For the next week after I stopped it vision was hazy and I was dizzy and felt very high. Never again! Very scary experience. Sure helps with sleep though!"

Couldn't function (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Prescribed in tandem with Effexor for suicidal depression. Useful initially for sleep and anxiety reduction, but no noticeable effect on depression. Side effects hard to tolerate: significant weight gain (15 pounds in 6 weeks); excessive sedation during daytime; sore, dry eyes; stomach pains; bladder pains and trouble urinating; coordination problems. Overall, feel "toxic". Could deal with this if drug was effective, but I'm tapering off it asap. Would not wish to discourage anyone who might benefit from taking this medication, but side effect profile is not fun."

Cicerone (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have taken Remeron for over 6 years at 30mg before bedtime to treat life long suicidal depression and debilitating social anxiety. In the first few days of taking it I can say it was like a switch put to normal. It knocks me out within 1/2 hour of taking it and it is not possible to wake me into a coherent and alert state for at least 5 hours, that isn't an issue for me and the family is used to it now also. The hours of guaranteed sleep is an added bonus. I have my life back, I no longer have social anxiety & I can deal in very high pressure situations perfectly fine. I have noticed a worsening short term memory issues but given my line of work I can't say it has relationship to the med, & I will not go off med to find out."

Allswell45 June 21, 2017