User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Hot Flashes 1 reviews 19 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 16 reviews 5 medications

6.9
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 551 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Insomnia: "My doctor prescribed mirtazapine 15 mg. every night at bedtime to replace the Ambien 10 mg. due to all the hoopla about combining Ambien with opioid medications. So far the mirtazapine has NOT been effective in giving me a full night of uninterrupted sleep like Ambien did. Also I have to weird/bizarre dreams since taking the mirtazapine. When I talked with my doctor about it, she prescribed another sleep aid that has a copay of $156.00!! So I will have to settle for what the mirtazapine offers as I had to choose between Ambien and my narcotic pain medication for my chronic back pain. Sigh..."

gigijlooyahoo September 24, 2016

For Anxiety: "I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attack disorder. I take 30mg, the recommended therapeutic dose. This medicine does not serve well as a long form treatment for anxiety in my opinion. It only produces a calming effect for a short lived period of time after taking it at night. Upon waking in the morning, my anxiety is always back to normal and has had zero effect in subduing anxiety symptoms or panic attacks. I worry it has an effect on my blood sugar because I often get symptoms of irritability, lightheadedness, and a fast heart rate. I wake up several times in the night extremely thirsty which is starting to make me worried. I think there's a reason this has to be prescribed off-label for anxiety...it's not shown to be effective."

MeepMeep92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2016

For Anxiety: "Effective for manic anxiety in my case.Started well-But 12 months in:Put on 3 stone in weight/from size 12 to 18/Developed large pot belly associated with this drug & look 6 months pregnant/Chronic flatulence/Exhausted after a drugged 12 hour sleep each night so cannot work/Really bad memory loss/No libido whatsoever/The general slothness of not having the energy or impetus to do anything. The hunger this drug creates is insatiable: a sudden hollow pit in your stomach that needs to be filled instantly-I have never experienced anything like it, even throughout pregnancy. I you're ok living life not giving a damn about anything, this is for you,it does spin you out to nothingness. If you want a recovery-refuse this drug & seek an alternative"

Nicky Mango (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 22, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been taking the medication for about 1month and it is helping me to over come my anxiety and depression as well as my insomnia . I may be having a side affect as to being hungry all day and after eating several meals still hungry . Craving all sweets and all foods witch i dont like to eat but is very affective on my disorders and i would like a higher dosage of maybe 20 milagrams a tablet ."

J.A.P September 17, 2016

For Depression: "I was previously on 45mg, it worked for about a week then it stopped working, I was as depressed as I've ever been. I'm currently on 15th alongside Venlafaxine 300mg, and the 2 medications together work wonders for my depression. So I'd recommend Mirtazapine alongside another medication. It helps me sleep well. Unfortunately I've put on a lot of weight with it."

K1ttyc4t (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "I'm writing this review hoping that I can help someone in the future who is in the same situation as I was. I had chronic nausea for 6 months after a stomach bug and went from doctor to doctor until I was diagnosed with post-infectious functional dyspepsia by a really good gastroenterologist. I was immediately put on mirtazapine, starting on 7,5mg at bedtime and then increasing to 15mg after 3 weeks. This drug worked wonders and I recovered my appetite within the first week, and I was virtually free of nausea after less than a month. Side effects were a lot of sleepiness at first (it went away in a few weeks), some constipation and loss of libido."

uri5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've been on 15mg of Mirtazapine for about 8 years. I was put on this medicine for insomnia. It works perfectly 99% of the time as long as I take it about 1.5 before after eating. If I eat anything later, it doesn't work. It has not increased my appetite, however when I was first put on it, I was on 45mg, which did make me hungry. I have a 3.5 year old who goes to preschool at 8, but gets up around 5. I go to bed at 7. I stop eating at 4, take my meds at 5:30, and by 7 I fall asleep pretty quickly. If I eat after 4, the medicine will not put me to sleep. I have to take Ambien."

jasonx80 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2016

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "After a year of taking this, I have trouble speaking at all, severe sedation and constant irritability. Also a dangerous lack of care about my personal affairs and suicidal ideation. I'm called 'stable', when really I'm frozen in depression. I will never trust a psychiatrist again."

Dead to the World (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 12, 2016

For Insomnia: "Ive been in recovery from opiods for 14 months( which my dr prescribed for chronic hip bursitis. worse thing ever), anyways,I take 15mg of remeron and sleep like a rock. I take it 1 hr before bed, and I don't wake up once in the night. I used to toss and turn from pain every 1hour and woke up exhausted. Now I sleep straight through and my anxiety is gone. I never considered myself a depressed person, but I can say my mood is even better. If you cant sleep, I would def recommend this!"

yesss September 9, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been on the medication about a month I take 30mg at night along with 20mg of Paxil. They seem to work great together I have no anxiety attacks anymore I fall right asleep within 10 min of taking them the only problem I have seen so far is that it's extremely difficult to stay awake during the day and I am ALWAYS hungry. I can eat several meals a day and all I think about all day is food I have gained 20 lbs in one month of taking this medication."

Megeraid (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2016

For Depression: "Mirtazipine worked extremely well for me. Quite the miracle drug. It starts working straight away so you know if it is right for you in a short period of time rather than waiting weeks/months only to find it hasn't worked. I got a great nights sleep after first dose, depressive and suicidal episodes greatly reduced in frequency. Side effects are sedation, increased appetite and constipation. It is very safe in overdose and any other serious side effects than those listed above only occur in less than 0.01% cases. Great medication, highly recommend. PS: I had different reactions to two different generics, Medreich worked great, Actavis didn't work. You can get the branded version "Zispin soltabs" cheaply; they are on the NHS BNF formulary."

tomtom4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

For Anxiety: "How long has it taken for the full effects of mirtazapine to take place and set in?"

Normsfern August 31, 2016

For Insomnia: "It does not work for me for insomnia."

Bilgewater (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2016

For Depression: "The packaging is obscene. I break fingernails and crush tablets. Please, please make it easier to open!!!"

`Clem August 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "I am 23. I went on Mirt after trying Zoloft and a few other anti-depressants in the past. I was having extreme health anxiety and nocturnal panic attacks; basically anxiety that completely took over my life. Compared to the side effects Zoloft game me Mirtazapine was amazing at first. It was like an instant calming effect after taking it. I stopped having the nocturnal panic attacks... However; I have hypersomnia and went from panic to oversleeping and bad dreams. Sadly, it was just too much for me. If you have insomnia I bet this med would be perfect for you... It was great for my anxiety. Unfortunately had to switch. Give it a try though! I loved it besides the sleep issue."

rknrbn (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

For Insomnia: "I started this medication (7.5 mg) to treat insomnia that my psychiatrist thought was due to underlying anxiety disorder. Like others, I felt very dopey and groggy out the first 4-5 days. Have now been on the medication for 2 weeks and this has abated, but still with lower energy level during daytime. I have found that a Claritin-D in the AM reverses this feeling as well as reversing the increased appetite. Insomnia is improved - still a few days with difficulty falling asleep, but once I'm asleep I'm out until my alarm goes off."

Jason81 August 22, 2016

For Depression: "I've taken many different anti depressants for anxiety, depression, insomnia and agoraphobia for a number of things really. I'm taking 30mg and I've been taking it around 4 months now, for the first two months my mood had improved but I slept around 15 hours a night but after having around 6 months of about 1-2 hours sleep a night it was welcome to me. And also I ate everything which my loved ones enjoyed as my anxiety was so bad I hardly ate. But now I've reached the point where they seem to have stopped working for me, I've become really anxious again and stressed out over anything and my moods are the worst!! I am really disappointed as they worked so well for so long, so hoping to try something else soon :("

livvy20 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2016

For Depression: "Been on this medication for 3-4 months for depression and insomnia. Does not help me get to sleep at all I'm up for hours thing to fall asleep every night no matter what dose I'm on (started at 15 now at 45) I can't wake up most mornings have to drag myself out of bed. Hasn't really helped the depression just made me have even less energy to do anything productive, I eat so much then feel so upset about my body due to the appetite change. I get really weird and vivid dreams - sometimes really bad night mares that I can't tell if they are real or not. Changed my personality, even at my deepest depression points I would still be funny and try and lighten up every situation now I'm irritable, can't talk to anyone, angry just can't socialise"

Boobv August 15, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have fairly severe anxiety and depression, as well as some insomnia. I've only been on this medication for a few days. I have tried Lexapro, Buspirone, Zoloft, Gabapentin, Trazadone, and Topamax. I was on Lexapro for about three years and it worked wonders. All of the others either had little to no effect or had terrible side effects. I am now coming off Zoloft and starting Remeron (mirtazipine) combined with Effexor Xr. Although I have not been on it long enough for it to improve my mood, I have noticed that it makes me feel almost zombie like. It helps me sleep, but I have to force myself out of bed and I am constantly tired throughout the day. I am going to give it some time and see how it goes."

Tiffamber August 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've been taking these for about 6 months on 15mg. I actually have zero to no side effects apart from the occasional morning drowsiness but nothing to the extent that I felt in the first two weeks. I also have had minimal weight gain. I'm really petite so I quite worried about that side effect. I've only put on about 3 kilos which if anything has made me look a lot healthier. I did lose about 1 kilo by cutting out red meat, potato, white bread etc. I did get cravings when I was first on it but that subsided. All I can say is that it's worth waiting it out with this drug. It brings you to a really calm place where you can beat the anxiety. It doesn't "cure" anxiety but with CBT exercise I have never been in a better place."

Anonymoussssssss August 12, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've been prescribed mirtazapine for the last 12 months now. It certainly helps me sleep and I can sleep for 12 hours easily.. Only criticism I have is the grogginess and drowsiness the next morning. That lasts for around an hour. For some reason I crave junk food whilst I'm taking it. So I can see why people can gain weight. I gained a stone, but being disciplined and exercising has changed that. I can't say I feel any different taking it re depression, however it is very effective for insomnia."

Jasminedee (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2016

For Depression: "I am on sertraline 100mg and 30mg of mirtazapine. As soon as I started taking it it helped immediately- it really helped with my depression but I now need to sleep around 11 hours a night - and as a result I am now registered as disabled with my university. I don't so much mind the additional sleep - people understand. However the weight gain is harsh.... I have been on it about a year and I have put on about a stone. I now ( when I'm at home) eat very healthily and the weight has started to go- but now I have been on holiday for 2 weeks and I have definitely put weight back on. But for me it is so effective with my depression - when I have sufficient sleep- I will just have to learn to deal with it and change my diet while I'm on this!"

PhDStudentAnon August 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "I took this drug for 10 months and have been off it for 1 year, whilst on the drug I became vacant over my life. gained weight suffered with numerous ailments to many to list from flue like symptoms to a altered heart rhythm, increased anxiety, When coming off the drug on a slow taper I suffered suicide ideation, low blood pressure, blood sugar problems and damaged endocrine system, It blocks certain neurotransmitters in the brain to work so when you stop taking it, they do not perform correctly, ie digestion and thyroid problems, blocking histamine transmitters leaving your body open to food allergies . A lot of these problems are not easy to rectify and I still have them. why give 10 out of 10. If your still taking it, beware!"

my storey July 30, 2016

For Depression: "I have been sick full of anxiety and remnants of my psychosis(thinking negatively about myself alot)and this medication has saved my life. I have experienced no side effects so far, it even barely makes me tired. I take it at night before i go to bed, also i started on a low dosage (7,5) then 15, and finally now 30 mg. Since it was increased to 30 everything has changed for the better. I went from functioning on a I am functioning at the highest level of my life(and this is just the beginning, it will continue to improve until around 2 weeks because the official therapeutic dose is 30 mg.)"

Alexnow398punk (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I have been taking Remeron 45mg.approx 2 years. Gained about 20 lbs, my son passed and I ate comfort food,thought I could get it off fast.I did lose the weight,now my cholesterol is very high and ALL the statins does NOT mesh with (Remeron) I either have a rash or itch.I am going to get my Dr. to decrease it and or stop it gradually and get my cholesterol down then maybe start back on it.When my son passed I ate Edwards pies, the whole thing in a day and or ice cream daily,(the whole box) The PTSD comes on every once in a while,or I have a really bad nightmare.The thought of a heart attack is not worth it. Had PTSD,since I was 11 years old and had so many diagnosis thrown at me that did NOT fit, I know its PTSD,NOW! Remeron helps me!"

Cameo Tx (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2016