User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Hot Flashes 1 reviews 19 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 18 reviews 5 medications

6.3
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 658 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Insomnia: "After being on Ambien for years, at least years, for sleep, I decided I hated the mental fog. My doctor prescribed Remeron. After several months of weight gain, I decided I had to lose the weight. I'm 6'5" and I went from 310 LBs to 360 LBs in a matter of three months. Crazy, I know! What I couldn't figure out was why I had an insatiable hunger. How bad was it? Usually, when I go out for wings, I order a ten piece. If I share an appetizer, I only eat 4; take 6 home for the next day. A few weeks ago, even after sharing an appetizer, I ate all ten wings, and when I got home I ate my wife's leftovers! So I ran out of Remeron and didn't get it refilled. After four days of being off it, my appetite is normal. Awful RX!!!"

Chris from Georgia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Starting a new college last year I became very depressed, strongly related to a sudden onset of chronic insomnia since I couldn't sleep in my new bed at school. I took mirtazapine to alleviate both conditions. It definitely helped my insomnia initially, but then its sedating effects wore off within weeks. It probably made me less depressed because I didn't have as much insomnia, but it also certainly made me emotionally numb and extremely groggy for the past few months. I regret taking it for more than a couple weeks. This should be a SHORT term drug for insomnia, not a long term drug for depression. Tapering off after only 4 months on 30mg has been very difficult; 3 months later I'm now on 2mg and getting off it in a week. SHORT TERM ONLY"

CAL_STUDENT (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I think this drug (15mg) significantly helped me with my insomnia initially. But I don't think it did anything for me beyond the first couple of weeks, as my insomnia began to rebound. I think this is a good SHORT-term drug; I would resist the temptation to take it for longer periods for the treatment of insomnia, since most of its sedation effects wear off within weeks (as with all sedatives)."

CAL_STUDENT (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "This drug did help me sleep, but it did not put a dent in my anxiety one bit. In fact, I had a major panic attack while I was on the drug earlier this year, which I rarely have."

CAL_STUDENT May 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "My neurologist prescribed Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia.Initially, I took 7.5 mg two hours before bed I have developed a huge tolerance over time, so after 7 months I must take 45 mg to achieve the same effect. As far as its effectiveness is concerned, it has made me sleep like a baby. Despite same strange and vivid dreams which I find rather exciting than disturbing by the way, I have not experienced any severe side effects yet. Anyone experiencing weight gain due to the treatment MUST run to prevent obesity. Thats what I did to compensate for my increased appetite. I am still in good shape."

Al Bundy1988 May 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I was diagnosed with border line bipolar and server depression I was put on mirtzapaine along with propanole and an alcohol tablet called campral to clearly help with my alcohol addiction. I found the mirtazapaine worked for me in terms of depression anxiety and panic attacks at that point in time because I was a alcohol dependent so i needed the medication i was on for weight gain, I put at least 1.5kg per weeks for bout 4 months I reached an average weight of 64kgs. That was more than enough me as new my weight gain was from excessive eating due to the mirtazapaine. I gave it up for a year and lost a lot of weight got back to 52kg im now back on it after a year have gained 6kgs in 4 weeks. Time to find something else to help me sleep."

DJERD871013 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been anxious, paranoid and depressed since puberty (10 years). Doctors have tried SSRIs, SNRIs, and benzos, but nothing seemed to be working. The doctor wrote a script for Remeron. I was skeptical at first, and the initial side effects scared me (slurred speech, drowsiness, blurred vision), however I kept with it and I feel so much better. It is relieving being able to live without thinking I am about to get fired, or if I am getting fat (which is ridiculous. I actually have an eating disorder and I am clinically underweight). My neurotic paranoia seems to be somewhat cornered and I no longer depend on alcohol to keep me under control. I have only been on the drug for a week at 15mg. Hopefully this journey is almost over."

arnold layne (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "This medication has been a miracle for me. My anxiety has improved tenfold and it's not near as bad as it was. Most meds have side effects but the improvement in my life outweighs any of them. Although I don't feel any side real effects, I do know my appetite has increased which is good for me and I just try to eat healthy & keep away from junky food. Overall I feel so much better and sleep better too. I felt a little sleepy in the evenings when I first began taking it but this has gone away now and I don't notice anything. I'm feeling so much better."

Friarhemhappy May 10, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Makes you feel really sleepy and tired in the morning"

Sav96 (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I take 75mg every night with Lunesta, I have no side effects does increase appetite but I learned to control the bad eating habits at night. I enjoy getting a full nights rest."

Double AA May 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I was put on 15mg of Mirtazapine about a month ago and it was the best decision ever. I've been very depressed and underweight (unintentionally due to stress and high metabolism) almost all my life. I went to my doctor at the end of my rope, having been off any type of anti-depressants, anti-anxiety etc for 5 years - I told him that all the pervious SSRIs and SNRIs I'd been on hadn't worked because they made me both suicidal and lose more weight (I generally have a BMI of 15-17 max). He recommended this and if it weren't for me giving medicinal treatment one more shot, I wouldn't be sleeping, eating or in the process of finally getting my degree and my own place! The only downside was that in the first 2 weeks I had some dry mouth/tiredness."

Megatron22 May 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Mirtazapine is initially sedating, this gradually reduces over about a month. The sedation rapidly reduces anxiety and improves sleep. After the first month the sedative effect wears off and you may feel the drug has stopped working, it has not! The longer term antidepressant/anxiety benefits take several months to reach maximum benefit. After 3 months most side effects disappear. My biggest side effect is increased appetite, I compensate by exercising more as I love to eat! I started on 15mg dose and increased this to 30mg after a month. Overall 6 months on my anxiety is 80% better than before."

Mohc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Instant side effects, all extreme. Lightheadedness,dry mouth; to the point it made not just my inner mouth dry, but my throat. Irritable isn't even the correct word. I was extremely angry, mad, and hostile for reason. That I can't even explain. My perception of depth was horrible. It took me 3 times just to pick something up off my counter. Every time I leaned to grab It, It seemed as if the object was further away.Definitely do NOT DRIVE!! I thought there was no way I would be able to have all of these side effects right away, and I was wrong. I went to the store to grab slushy for my children. When I came back outside to get into the Car; I realized that I Was directly parked over the dividing line for 2 parked vehicles. HATED this med"

Anonymous April 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have only been on this for about a month at 15mg. While daily suicidal thoughts are gone, I am emotionally dead. While I don't have feelings of doom and gloom...I also have no happy emotions. I feel nothing. I literally can't figure out what to do during the day, because nothing interests me or even makes me a little happy. I'm not sad...but feeling nothing is just as bad to me. Husband keeps asking if I'm ok, a discussion about the kids today and he said "it seems like you don't care." I do..but I can't feel any of it. It's really bothering me. And I have read people say to wait it out...I'm just not sure I can. Having an adverse reaction to Prozac and trying to commit suicide on it, I get very nervous about meds. Calling dr tomorrow"

Tams2017 April 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Yeah it helps with sleep and depression but in the end I WAS MORE DEPRESSED THAN EVER. gained 30 pounds in 2 1/2 months!!!! Unbelievable. I was always hungry and never felt full. I was wondering why I was gaining weight NON STOP til I finally looked it up a couple weeks ago and found out that this medicine is also used to treat ANOREXIA. if you're okay with gaining weight uncontrollably then go for it!!!"

Angelrae99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Was prescribed this for depressive and anxiety symptoms relating to BPD (borderline personality disorder) And for SAD (social anxiety disorder). Started on 15mg for one month then 45mg. Few months in and so far no effect at all on any symptoms."

Speed292 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have been taking 15mg a night of mirtazapine for about a month. I did have some of the well known side effects at first. I had an insatiable hunger, and was extremely groggy in the morning. However, for me, these went away after about a week and half. I am now able to eat normally, and wake up feeling refreshed, and not groggy. I also workout 5-6 times a week. I'm not sure if that helps the symptoms or not, but it obviously slowed the weight gain as this medicine is prone to cause because of the increased appetite. It has absolutely helped with sleep, and with my depression."

Pretty good (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "I have tried Doxepin, Escitalopram, and others. Remeron or Mirtazapine is the best for chronic insomnia with depression (my issue). It also reduces day time anxiety. I feel relaxed but sufficiently alert for mental and physical work. i think my efficiency has increased with it. So far no weight issues either (I think not all people will gain weight, probably only a small minority), stomach feels great. No dry mouth, no anticholinergic side-effects. Even my allergies are dying. Hamstring pain is also reduced, which is suffer from. and somehow one of my painful cyst has also disappeared. All in all my daytime posture is better than ever since the age of 18. I feel youthful. The only negative side-effect I feel is increased urination."

DDarson April 18, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "So, I was put on this as nothing else worked and I had hideous night sweats on the usual meds. This one seems to have taken the edge of me but I am fat as hell and that makes me depressed too! I monitor what I eat, go to the gym, but I am stuck at 13 stone and I'm usually no more than 10 :-( I'm always hungry and now seem to want to sleep for 15 hours or more. I work from home so I am lucky in that I can fall out of bed and land in a heap on the sofa and start my day.. Only trouble is that I ache a lot and want to sleep all the time. My energy is low and my desire to do anything is also very low. I feel suicidal a few times a week which is better than every minute of the day, but I still feel like a misfit in the world :-("

LouLouLayla (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I started taking this medication twelve days ago I feel very anxious sleeping has improved over the past three days. I met with friends the other night felt very self conscious agitated and uncomfortable not my normal self at all. Positive -Improved libido. My friends are very concerned as I am very bloated and my brothers were concerned about my rapid breathing. The comments were "you look terrible, bloated and just not yourself ". My appetite has increased and I am now being very careful about the amount of food I eat after all that is my responsibility. Going to the Drs tomorrow for review. Not sure if these symptoms are experienced initially and subside or not will write another review in a few weeks ."

Anonymous April 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have been on 60mg mirtazapine with 75-150mg effexor for about a year. It helped my depressive symptoms a lot at first, but over time I've had diminishing returns. Though I find it nearly impossible to be stressed or depressed on these meds, I still remained suicidal in a "philosophical" way. It reached a point where action was required, and now I am experimenting with adding lithium to the mix. I encourage those who are not responding well enough on antidepressants alone to consider adding a low dose of lithium. My suicidal ideation has been at least blunted. Good luck all."

Owl Capone (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "15mg per night cleared my depression up almost straight away. Not so reliable for the main issue (insomnia); Sometimes it works straight away an I sleep for nine hours straight and feel fine the next day. Sometimes it just puts me into a half-asleep trance in bed for a couple of hours and then I 'come to' and have to try and go to sleep all over again. Sometimes I feel incredibly sedated until the following afternoon. Sometimes I need half a zopiclone on top of this to nod off. Depression: 10/10. Insomnia: ??/10."

_Mikey1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine a night after suffering from unexplained insomnia for 9 months. At first I was reluctant to take it because of the well documented weight gain. However I finally gave in as the insomnia was making my day to day life impossible. It's worked a treat although it did take several weeks to settle down. I've now been taking it for 8 months but 3 months ago I reduced the dosage to 7.5mg per night and I'm still sleeping ok. I would like to stop taking it eventually because I have gained over a stone in weight, which I'm not happy about but if it comes to a choice between living with extra weight or living with insomnia then I'll have to just try my hardest to lose weight whilst still taking the Mirtazapine."

ibugwen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have been taking this med for almost two years. It doesn't help with the insomnia because I still wake up. I gained over 100 pounds since being on this drug because of my increased appetite. I take 45 mgs at night. No other side effects other than the first few days I took it I had really bad restless legs."

Brittanynoelle19 April 2, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I stopped zoloft 2 month ago . Now my anxiety returned with severe insomnia and bouts of depression . Was prescribed remeron. Am scared about trying it .will it help me sleep from day 1 ?"

Anonymous 12345 March 30, 2017