User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Hot Flashes 1 reviews 19 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 16 reviews 5 medications

6.9
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 617 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Hey everyone on mirtazapine! I've been on cymbalta, Effexor , trintellix and Prozac . Prozac was good but remeron/mirtazapine works better for anxiety by far! I started suffering from anxiety when I was 12 and remeron/ mirtazapine has given me "wings to fly" I can drive relaxed and I don't ruminate over things and make myself sick with worry so in turn my depression eases up because I'm not consumed with dread. The only downside is I feel hungry ALL the time but I use willpower . For snacking, I cut up celery and carrots and drink cold green tea instead of eating anything and everything because if you're not watchful , I guarantee you'll put on a lot of weight. I basically had to get use to being hungry. All the best"

Sarah-Jayne (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Insomnia: "I was given 30mg. To help with my insomnia. ..and after hallucinating and heart palpitating all night...I was so zombied out all day long I can't function properly. ..I'm gonna lose my job, over this medication...I have to discontinue. I feel detached from my mind and body, my Dr.said lowering the dose will cause more sedation...any advice???"

Groggy fog (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I had a increase in suicidal thought. Mood became dark and dangerous. Self harm could no longer be controlled. Burning sensation in mouth. Avoid for sake of your health."

Sneeze February 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "I have been on mirtazapine 30mg now for 3 months now. I have BPD and Aspergers. I have depression anxiety and OCD. I have tried all antidepressants you can think of and all gave me increased sweating and insomnia and stuffy nose. My psychiatrist even tried antipsychotics and mood meds all had really bad side effects including massive weight gain. He put me on mirtazapine and I slept really well no side effects whatsoever. It does cause increased appetite but I take 2 phenergan 50mg with it which is an OTC antihistamine and that stops the increased appetite cause the main side effect of phenergan is decreased appetite. I'm from UK and I know you can't get it in the US. But I'm sure u can buy it online. Hope this review helps"

Shaun8326 February 11, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "Mirtazapine is a miracle, but you have to take a SMALL dose, meaning about 7.5 mg to 15 mg, no more than that. Larger doses cause too much adrenaline release, so if you gave up on Mirt before, try it again with a pill splitter at a very small dose, just before bedtime. It will help you sleep, and it has virtually the opposite side effects of SSRIs, meaning no sexual side effects, and no anxiety increase (only decrease). I take it for debilitating anxiety just as I described."

Eric2222017 February 9, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "An update after ca. 1 month on Mirtazapine: Now on 22.5 mg mirt (evening) and still 200 mg of Sertraline (morning). The mirt worked very well to start with, but after 2 weeks my anxiety has come back with a vengeance, and the body screams for benzos (but not getting any). Stopped with diazepam one month ago, so it may still be withdrawal effects? My thoughts about the past and future fuel anxiety and then the anxiety fuels the thoughts and there you go... Ringing in my ears and the same melody playing in my head over and over again, palpations and feeling miserable. Any advice? Not a miracle drug after all?"

FlyingD (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "Hated it. Was prescribed 30 mg. Slept 14 hrs a day, restless leg syndrome, gained 40 lbs, moody and irritable constantly and anxiety ridden. Finally tired of this horrible drug, I researched a replacement. There isn't one. It's in a class of its own. Desperate, I cut my pills all in half and let me tell you! 1 week later, I'm the old me again, I feel energized after 8 hrs of sleep, no middle of the night candy cravings and I'm finally able to talk to others without wishing they'd shut the hell up! I feel like remeron took 2 years of my life from me."

Jessecarl February 7, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Insomnia: "Pros: I can sleep through the night & my appetite has come back Cons: All I want to eat are sweets & I eat more than normal I was prescribed mirtazapine by my psychiatrist because I was waking up every three hours during the night. I was never getting any true, restful sleep. Now, I sleep through the night with NO nightmares. Another reason he prescribed it to me is to gain some weight. I've always been skinny but I have battled with anorexia in the past. Recently, due to lack of appetite, I lost 5 pounds. I was already 120 pounds so I didn't have much to lose to begin with. I got my appetite back and I feel like a bottomless pit. I want sweets more than anything. I feel like I eat so much more than I did before I started this medication."

Matilda W. February 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Insomnia: "Need to know why it gives me a headache"

Stupid ass (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Insomnia: "I have been on Effexor XR for years to treat depression and klonopin for anxiety but didn't sleep at night. Dr added Remeron to the mix. I took it for almost a month. Tho it did help me sleep, caused severe hangover next day and zombie like all day. Stopped taking it. Dr convinced me to try again. I did, ended up with sudden onset hypertension and tachycardia. Passed out, had to be taken to emergency care. Blood pressure dropped rapidly as did my heart rate. This is known as blood pressure lability. Can never take this med again. Still suffering affects, pounding headache, vision issues and can't get my blood pressure stabilized. Terrible for me! Never again!"

Karen Weiser (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "I have a love/hate relationship with mirtazapine. Positives: When I first started it, it just about saved my life and lifted me from deep depression to mild/moderate depression. It also helped anxiety. It sure does its job putting you to sleep - which I really needed. I get a good 9 hours sleep EVERY night, which is amazing. Somehow it seems like It's the only drug I can tolerate even at higher dosages. Also at higher dosages, it starts to be more activating than sedating. Higher dosages also makes you a bit less hungry than smaller dosages. Negatives: Weight gain!!! I gained 8 kg in less than 3 months. Makes you sleepy. Not effective enough. It doesn't Seem to help me coping with stress at all. I'm bipolar, and it has not made me hypomanic"

Danishgirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "Started on 15mg felt sedation for a week and grogginess the next day only for a week then felt totally fine doctor upped my dose to 30mg as I felt 15mg wasn't enough only been taking the 30mg for 3 days now hopefully it helps I get a really good nights sleep instead of watching to a read a book an but that helps me a lot to all asleep. My depression starts on a night time and I have little anxiety. I've noticed increased appetite and find myself eating sweets and chocolate have put a good few pounds on in 2 months of taking this med will hopefully get my weight down through exercise and healthy eating."

Chad23 January 28, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "It started out with an abortion- with respect to whatever your opinion may be on that matter, I had my carefully thought out reasons. My boyfriend and I were very literally starving due to lack of money and food. The baby was taking in any nutrients I was getting- I wasn't going to survive the pregnancy. It was an extremely difficult decision and I struggled with it heavily. After the abortion, I continued to lose weight-I am 5ft and weighed 80lbs the nausea continued for another 6 months and I was having regular panick attacks due to the anxiety caused by the abortion. I have been on Mirtazapine for a month now, and the nausea and over all anxiety is nearly eliminated, and I am back to a healthy weight. This drug saved my quality of life."

Little stuff January 27, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I have been on mirtazapine for about three weeks now as I have GAD, it has worked fine until recently, the last few nights, I was thinking about increasing it to 30mg see if that helps, but doctor mentioned that it works better when taking 15mg ? Any advice would be great thanks in advance"

Fmac1973 January 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "Doesn't work went from 15 - 30mg been on them a month, not sleeping at night still have low mood!"

JakebArturio January 24, 2017

For Anxiety: "The worst"

Hooj (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "Very Dry Mouth Strange dreams. Ringing ears ."

Mr Imagine January 22, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Insomnia: "Took not even a full 15 mg tab one night for sleep issues..never again. Slept OK but lost entire following day through groggy dizzy bad humoured mood ..absolutely terrible the rest are in the bin .."

Dicce (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I have been on Mirtazipine 30 mgs for several years for anxiety and to help me sleep recently as I suddenly had severe palpatations a new docter prescribed me Sertaline 50 mgs this was terrible it made me even more anxious and I felt really unwell. I am now back on Mirtazapine and beginning to feel well once again never again will I switch to another drug I now have this drug on my repeat prescription list and highly recommend it"

Birdqueen (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "My depression improved immensely on 15mg dose per day taken at night I have to add my GP increased this dose to 30mg after 7 days which has been found to be too much so I'm now back onto 15mg which I'm really pleased with as my life was pure hell without this drug"

palo/pera/eddi (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "It hit me hard. Insomnia. Bad dreams. Dilated pupils. Brain fog and headache. Freaky hungry but I countered with Tumeric Golden Tea to up my insulin resistance. I took 2 days. I was Tripppping..."

Sun Moon & Stars (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "Update to Original post.... I was taking my Mirtazapine 45mg in the morning, because I didn't feel the sedation at night. However, after talking with my husband, we agreed that taking it at night as prescribed will give me the best results. I started 2 nights ago with my evening dose. I took it earlier in the evening around 7p. By 11:00p I began to get sleepy. Not a KNOCKED OUT type of sleepy, but a good sleepy. Since then, I have gotten a full nights sleep and I wake refreshed. I then take my Welburtin 300 XL and I am ready for the day. I haven't notice a lot of daytime sleepiness either. That may be due to the WB. I really feel like this combo is going to do wonders for me."

Dolly6472 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I started taking Mirtazapine 15mg 5 weeks ago as I was in a very bad place with Pure obsessive Disorder and GAD. It has been really helpful in controlling my Generlised Anxiety and has allowed me to enjoy my Christmas and New year and life again. It hasn't really helped with my pure obsessional thoughts directly but has really helped lower my anxiety which does trigger my pure obsessional thoughts so indirectly I suppose it has made them more controllable. I've had no weight gain and weight has remained the same through out. The only side effects were sleepiness and drowsiness in 1st week. If you are worried about gaining weight on this drug then I suggest weighing yourself before and during taking it. I would definitely recommend it"

Fretbuzz119 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "Is a tricky drug but cons out weigh pros I experienced weight gain good if under weight not good for someone already appetite like me took a month to experience antidepressant and anti anxiety properties also helped with sleep but had bad effect on intellectual ability and totally ruined sex drive and actually made me more anxious in mornings and caused head aches when I tried to stop taking so would not recommend why do doctor s push the SSRI s all the time when Valium far more effective for sleep and anxiety problems this and St Johns and comprehensive supplements and improved diet and active lifestyle s far better choice"

lifelove (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "I take Wellbutrin XL 300mg every morning for my depression. Feeling like I needed a lil something more, my Dr. put me on Miratapine 30mg daily. I had no side effects with this combo. And I know that many ppl on 30 mg say that 30 mg knocks them out. It wasn't that way for me. I had no problems waking and starting my day. After 3 weeks... I still didn't feel any difference. My Dr upped my rx to 45 mg a day. I had been taking my WB in the AM and Mirt at night. When we increased the Mirt, I found it harder to fall asleep. and waking up thru out the night. Since, Mirt is known for the sleepiness at lower levels. I split my rx and took 7.5mg at night and the rest in the AM along with my WB. This combo now is working really nice for me."

Dolly6472 January 5, 2017