User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
6.3

Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 7.2 919 reviews

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Depression: "I'm more than 4 months on this medication and it improved my mental health very well. I suffer from Treatment-resistant depression and I've tried about 6 different antidepressants. Only one (except for Mirtazapine) that was efficient to me was Venlafaxine which I took for about 3 years. But after a time it's effects diminished. I slowly decreased the dose of Venl. to 75mg and added 15mg Mirtazapine, so I'm taking both now. Within few days my state has quickly improved and the only side effects I felt was increased sleepiness and appetite. I slept about 9 hours per day but during the day I wasn't sleepier more than usual. Sleeping improvement was quite advantage for me because I had suffered from insomnia before. I'm young and I do sport a lot so I managed not to gain any weight on this medication. Other benefit of this drug for me is that it's a strong antihistamine so it improved also my allergy. After a time I increased the dose to 30mg and then I was less sleepy."

S September 14, 2018

For Anxiety: "I'm a bipolar with coexisting anxiety. I mean crippling anxiety. Remeron has been a godsend. Of course I'm on a cocktail of 5 different psych drugs so can't chalk it 100 percent to remeron however if I miss it at night I am completely unable to function the next day. If I miss the others no big deal as long as I don't miss several in a row. It is my cornerstone so to speak I hope and pray it doesn't poop out on me.... there's my condensed story. I have had practically 0 weight gain and do not crave carbs like most but I don't have a stomach so feeding is scheduled. It is very very important to take it exactly the same time each night and go to bed. This knocks me out within 10 minutes and sleep soundly for at least 6 hours."

Coyotejuice (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2018

For Anxiety: "I've been on Avanza for 10 months, first prescribed 120mg at night as I began treatment in a Rehab. I can say it really has helped me, from having panic attacks and severe social anxiety. I was then taking 30mg and then gradually coming down to 15mg. I've stopped eating again and anxiety and depression have increased. Anxiety around getting back into work and starting a new relationship has sent me downhill. Only negative effect I had while on a high dose was wanting to sleep during the day, now I can't take a nap if I wanted to. I did have increased appetite and weight gain on higher dose which is fine, I'm extremely insecure about my looks so I try to exercise as much as I can with weights. So I'd much prefer to eat too much than nothing fueling my body."

Mike (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 14, 2018

For Insomnia: "This doesn’t work at all"

Doeaa September 12, 2018

For Insomnia: "Best drug ever. Works well even in 30mg which is depression dosage and should be more activating than the 3.75-7.5mg used for insomnia. I sleep 10 hours minimum, even 11-12 hours is not uncommon. Maybe even too effective?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018

For Insomnia: "Initially went to my Dr with insomnia and depression, having battled it my whole life and avoiding the drug route. I've been on 15mg for two weeks and increased to 30 for about two months Now. When I take it at night I do feel drowsy and get horrendous hunger and once asleep I'm flat out and can't wake up. All in all, it hasn't helped, the only way it helps depression is by making me so hungry that I feel better by eating, and so groggy that amongst my manic mind all I'm thinking about is more food or bed."

Alex (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018

For Insomnia: "I have been using mirtazapine 15mg over 2 years for sleep...usually get 5 hours of sleep and wake up but go back to sleep for another 3 hours...no side affects at all..."

Scare (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 9, 2018

For Anxiety: "Hi guys im currently on 30mg mirtazapine as I have depression and anxiety issues with autism. These tablets knock me to sleep with in 30 mins thats why I take them at night. I have been on them for 2 months as I was suffering with suicidal thoughts after taking mirtazapine the thoughts have stopped and I have been much more stable"

Just jordy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2018

For Depression: "I have been on Mirtazapine 15mg for about 2 weeks now and I have to admit that I have felt very different in this time. The plus side to this drug is that it really does control your sleep which is great for me. As well as this, during my low points I would be completely put off of food: mirtazapine has increased my appetite massively which is a big bonus as I am dramatically underweight. This drug has made me feel drowsy in the mornings and cloudy thoughts at times but so far it seems to be working. I absolutely would not recommend drinking whilst taking this drug as I had a recent bad experience where I had lost control over my arms legs, vision etc. As far as my work productivity, this drug has been wonders and I am feeling more confident, more relaxed and levelled. I still have low moments but they are more controlled, rather that than uncontrollable depressive states. I would rate it higher but I have to see the full effects of mirtazapine."

Joey (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have taken this med for over 2 years. I've been suffering from insomnia, anxiety, and depression my whole life. I found that nothing that could help. Every night I tossed and turned, waking up every 2 hours. The first night I took this, like magic, I slept a whole night without waking up. And every night since then it has worked. However, BEWARE, it will make you binge eat. You have NO control over it. Studies say weight gain from this med only affects like 15% of people. Use look at the reviews on here and across the internet–it's more like 90%. I've always been skinny and I put on 14 pounds within a month of starting it. I quit for a week, which made me extremely depressed and unable to sleep, but I immediately lost all the weight. But I was so depressed, it hurt, so I got back on it. That's why I give this a 7, it's a conundrum, it helps so much with insomnia/depression/anxiety but it makes you FAT. Don't try this med unless you've tried ALL other SSRI's and sleep meds."

medtaker92 September 7, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I've taken a half dozen other anti-depressants and this is the only one that stabalized my thoughts/actions. Prior to taking this I would easily fall into an uncontrollable rage, trash my entire house, then feel guilty for trashing my house. I couldn't go out in public, and would get in fights all the time. I used to smoke marijuana before bed, because it stops me from dreaming. The mitrazapine does the same thing without the dope side effects. I'm taking 30mg/night. I should warn you, the adjustment period to this drug was hard, so make sure you are somewhere safe until you feel your mood stabilize, which might take a week. On day 3 of taking this drug my symptoms were worse. On the morning of day 4 I felt like a changed person and haven't had a single thought of suicide/self harm since. If you take your pill at night and nap during the day, I will warn you that you're going to have nightmares during your nap, because I don't think the pill has that long of a half life."

Bushman Jack September 6, 2018

For Insomnia: "I have had to deal with MS for more than 25 years. When I have a flare I have severe insomnia. Years back I was given seroquel for the insomnia I had gotten off of it but had to use it again for a flare with bad insomnia again. It didn't work as well. Then I developed depression from a change in MS drugs and just the disease itself. Doc put me on mirtazapine and I've only used 7 mg the past 4 nights. It worked amazingly well. Slept 8 plus hours straight each night and didn't use seroquel at all!!"

Chris (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

For Depression: "This medicine made me completely lose my personality, gain 30 pounds and feel awful. But the icing on the cake comes when you are ready to come off of it. Absolute nightmare. Anxiety, sweating, vomiting, and this was after a very very slow taper.....like six months. Got down to a few crumbs every 3 days. Felt fine for a week then it hit. Abdominal pain, joint pain, unbelievable sweating and shaking....and NO sleep. Absolutely NONE. So this “wonderful” drug that’s helping so many? There’s a catch. A big one. This drug is awful. When you decide to come off PLEASE do your research. There are many things you can do to help the discontinuation. Just research “stopping Mirtazapine “. Good Luck!!"

BakersAuntBee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2018

For Insomnia: "It made me sleepy very quickly but it also made my body very restless. I would doze a bit then my body would start to flail around. I kicked, HARD, tossed & turned violently and family members said I was yelling. All the while I was in a heavy fog. I could feel it but not actually do anything about it. If I could have fully woken I think I could have walked to calm down the intense need to move but as I was only partially awake, all I could do was lie there and pray for it to run its course. The next day I felt like I'd been in a physical fight. I've taken this twice, assuming after the first time I'd done something wrong or it was a fluke. The second time was worse. I literally kicked my ten year old out of bed and to the floor. I remember parts of it but not all. It was like restless to the extreme while being mildly sedated. It was a horrible experience and I will not try again. The only other drug I'm on is lemotragine."

Wanttosleep (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I was referred on to this medication due to my depression and insomnia, it left a horrible taste in my mouth all day. For sleep, it did help me sleep however I experienced the feeling other people on here have described as foggy feeling all day, forgetfulness and just a ‘zoned’ out feeling. The big thing for me I felt with this medication was the dark thoughts, I’m an ex self harmer .. I felt awful, thoughts of deep negativity and wanting to hurt myself. So for me, I’ve stopped this medication in under a month of taking it. However, every individual is different and will have their own experience. But for me it was a no go."

Echo (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2018

For Insomnia: "This drug works well for insomnia, however I don't get some people on here who say they sleep 15 or 20 hours on this drug. It doesn't affect me that badly. I get around 6 to 7 hours sleep on this drug and whilst it does give some residual drowsiness upon wakening a hot shower and coffee should sorts me out."

StephenR (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2018

For Anxiety: "Worst hell I ever experienced. Worked ok at first for sleep then the side effects got worse. Started making me feel more agitated, depressed, trashed my immune system, respiratory issues, horrid body pain in muscles and joints, made me more allergic to foods, bad eye sight, horrific nightmares, suicidal thoughts, skin sensitivities, akathesia, fogged head. Worst withdrawals shaking, diarrhea, vertigo, sweating, passing out feelings, vomiting, severe panic attacks, akathesia, terror, derealization, sensitivities to lights, sounds, smells, worse depression, agitation, anxiety off the charts, hard to eat because you want to vomit and food just sits in your stomach if you can eat, hard to walk some days at all. Itching and rashes, painful headaches, burning skin, neuropathy. Lost half my hair and skin like sandpaper. I was a beautiful woman before this drug. I have no idea if I will ever be the same. BEWARE this drug can change on a dime and destroy you!"

Burnedbymirt (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 25, 2018

For Insomnia: "This is one of the most powerful sedatives available. 7.5 mg is a good starting dose and only increase it to 15mg if you need to."

Kiv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 21, 2018

For Insomnia: "When I first took Remeron, I was knocked out cold for about 18 hours, which was insane! I almost quit, but decided to give it a real chance, and I am very glad I did. After a couple of weeks, the initial negative impact diminished, and my sleep settled on about 8 to 9 hours per night. My sleep was restful, and the next day I was sometimes slightly groggy, but I was that way anyway due to the insomnia. Ten years later, I am still taking it, and I sleep about 7 to 8 hours on average. If I wake up, I fall right back to sleep. Since my worst depression is in the middle of the night, it keeps my mood stable. If I forget to take it, I almost inevitably wake up at 2 or 3 am. I am slim, and after some initial weight gain, I lost the weight and have not gained it back. (I am 51 years old, 5'7" and 123 lbs). Only the dissolvable tablets work for me. I take 30 mg tablets right before bed. I would recommend that you give it a good trial period (one month) before giving up."

Birdie777 (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2018

For Depression: "STAY AWAY, Withdrawing is a complete nightmare_. I've been on 30mg mirtazapine for 4 years now, and my greatest wish is to withdraw from it. It's making me feel like a zombie. I've tried a few times only to fail. The withdrawal is the worst experience one can have. Basically total panic lying on floor sucked into a black hole of misery. I was off of it for 6 months and I still felt terrible withdrawal and had to go back on it. Please take this into consideration before starting this drug."

mossy12 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Huh. I’m feeling like crud on Remeron. My psychiatrist has me taking 90 mg at night. 75 mg of efexor. And 750 mg of gabapentin. She prescribed it for PTSD, anxiety and depression. I have crazy dreams and I guess I sleep walk according to my housemates. It’s hard to wake up and run my business. My issues sucked, but this is worse."

Katydid August 18, 2018

For Depression: "This tablet does nothing what's the best way to come off weed"

Wadow (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2018

Remeron (mirtazapine) for : "My 94 yr old mother was given this drug in the hospital. I was told it was to increase her appetite. It had a devastating effect on her. She went into a coma (I saw that one side effect was Severe Sedation) for almost a whole day! It made her confused and it did more damage than good because she could not wake up to take her meds or eat or drink! I feel the Dr should have told me the side effects before giving her this drug. She was up and walking just a few days before and was hospitalized for atrial fibrillation. I do not recommend it!!!"

die4shoes August 16, 2018

For Depression: "I am currently prescribed 15 mg of Mirtazapine to help myself to ween off alcohol. Since being prescribed the medication for two weeks now it has helped in reducing my cravings for alcohol during the week. It may not be for everyone, but I have found it very helpful and sleep patterns are returning to normal. I hope you have found this helpful"

Whodunnit (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

For Insomnia: "I have been on mirtazapine for about 2 months now; I started taking this drug when my Seroquel started to become ineffective. It worked, well. However, I began to have BAD mood swings. My girlfriend advised me to stop because of the way I have been acting. Indeed, I feel as though it almost made me depressed in a way. Also, two words: WEIGHT GAIN. I have been relatively skinny my whole life and can get away with eating anything...until I started taking this med. I usually only eat 2 decently sized meals a day and I'll be set for the entire day. My goodness, not with mirtazapine. It gave me a MONSTER appetite where I literally could not resist food. I gained about 25-30lbs in the two month span of taking this medication. If you take this, I highly advise you to buy a bathroom scale if you don't already have one. I am now back on Seroquel and its just as if I started taking it all over again as my tolerance to it has gone away. Now, my mood is much better and my appetite well controlled."

WWbedamned (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes