User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
6.3

Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 7.1 1,029 reviews

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was diagnosed with severe PTSD a year and a half ago. Started on mirtazapine 15 mg which stopped my tremors, helped me get my appetite back and initially helped me sleep. Because I had additional complications of multiple benign tumours in my womb which were misdiagnosed as a stomach ulcer, I was prescribed lansoprosole and ranitidine together which gave me anorexia. My dose of mirtazapine was upped to 30g to combat the stress of this, but I feel like the other meds made it less effective. In the end, the lowest dose of mirtazapine 7.5g before bed was the most effective to helped me sleep, reset my body clock, regulated my appetite and generally made me feel better. It was also the dosage with the least brain fog. It takes some time to get used to as it dulls your emotions a little bit but I couldn't have recovered without it."

J Ferrari (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2019

For Insomnia: "After 4 years of trying everything conventionally prescribed for chronic insomnia with zero help really wore on me, now prescribed Mirtazapine which works like a charm for me at 15mg. I personally have no side effects and I get right out of bed in the morning. Wonder drug for me."

John (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2019

For Anxiety: "this medication mirtazapine ruined my life. Yes it helped my anxiety and insomnia at first, very well in fact. It does make me binge eat every night, which has led to me becoming prediabetic. While effective at first, it has since pooped out and I’m left a now diabetic, apathetic, emotionless zombie. I feel nothing. No emotions, no love for other people, no passion for anything. I’ve been on it for 8 years, with the dose oscillating between 75mg and 45mg. Dropping the dose below 45mg leads to crippling depression, anxiety, and withdrawal symptoms. Tread with caution and keep the doses low. You’ve been warned."

Anonymous May 8, 2019

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "So I’ve been taking mirtazapine a while after being hospitalized for anxiety and depression and it helps knock me out to sleep good and stop waking up in the middle of the night. It makes you sleep a lot and it’s hard for me to want to get up to go to classes. It makes me feel really tired throughout the day but it does help with anxiety and depression. I’m overweight and I’m kinda scared it will make me gain even more. It makes me more hungry all the time."

Anonymous May 8, 2019

For Insomnia: "So I finally took mirtazapine last night (15mg) I have been addicted to zopiclone sleeping tablets previously and was taking sertraline, now off both the zopiclone and sertraline and I take the mirtazapine and I can report much better sleep, probably got 7-8 hours, some strange dreams but I’d rather that than no sleep at all. It’s now half 1 in the afternoon feeling drowsy still and really hungry, weighing things up I would much rather feel like this than before when I was having panic attacks and not sleeping, hopefully these side effects stop soon and then I will be really impressed :)"

DJ (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2019

For Anxiety: "I'm on day 7 now of 15mg Mirtazapine for anxiety and panic disorder which led to agoraphobia, then depression. I was house bound for 2 months! I could only leave the house to see the Dr. by self medicating with alcohol. I wasn't eating only a tiny snack in the evening, and was scared of coming on to these tablets. Well what can I say - I left the house yesterday. My appetite is back, and I am sleeping and having dreams again, that was after 6 days on the Mirtazapine . I feel more positive now and will continue to use, all I can say is everybody is different but do stick with these, and give them a try. "

Forsey (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2019

For Depression: "For me, Mirtazapine was life changing, I don't feel super low anymore, my depression episodes are gone, I eat and sleep normally, I have stop cutting myself, I don't even think about suicide anymore. Before starting the treatment I felt sad and low 95% of the time, barely ate, had bad insomnia, cut the living hell out of myself, and thought about suicide at least 10-15 times a day. I am taking 30mg before I go to sleep and it knocks me out 20 minutes after taking it. Amazing and life changing"

Fixer (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2019

For Depression: "First, you will gain weight no matter what you do, major sweet and carb cravings. I was prescribed after failed attempts at two SSRIs, this was for insomnia, anxiety, depression and adjustment disorder after my dad died . This drug was amazing for about 10 days, (I even remember the first night I took it I got this tingly sensation all over my body but in a good way) then its efficacy went downhill from there. While it’s been effective for anxiety and for eventually falling asleep (I take 15mg)…it’s had little to no effect on my depression. I tried going up to 30mg after a month and it just made me agitated. It makes me feel very emotionally flat. Almost like a rock…I feel blah ALL THE TIME. I go to work and all I can think about is sweets and eating. It’s as if my life goal went from trying to beat depression and anxiety to trying find the best desserts. This is not good by any means. I’m trying to ween myself off by staying on 7.5mg until I go back to the Doctor."

Mirtazy May 6, 2019

For Depression: "I was prescribed initially 15 mg, then 30mg for depression and anxiety which were a result, lets say, due difficult life circumstances. I can say it is definitely helpful, however you have to pay a certain price for improvement. What I experienced at the beginning: huge appetite, being sleepy and withdrawn, problems with attention and concentration (which seems quite obvious), also dry mouth and feeling constantly thirsty. However, later monstrous appetite became quite normal, I'm not that sleepy. Certain minor physical symptoms (dry mouth and increased thirst) remained. What concerns me, it is sort of confusion about myself. Sometimes I find it hard to define what I'm feeling or how I am (physically). I would like to stop taking this medication but I need doctor's advice first."

Lilly33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2019

For Insomnia: "I've been on mirtazapine for about a month, the doc gave it to me for my chronic insomnia. I'm up to 30mg, but I'm not sleeping as well any more and feeling annoyed all the time, I've never slept as long as some here have, but it did let me sleep all night until about 5am. I'm going back to a 15mg dose as I slept better on that dose. Has anyone else experienced a constant sore throat and coughing on this?"

Muggins (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2019

For Anxiety: "I would never recommend this medication to anyone unless you have insomnia/underweight problems. On mirtazpine 40mg for more than 6 months. I felt like a zombie all during the day. I took it at night to help with insomnia because it will knock you out faster than a punch from Mike Tyson. I was recommend this med from my psychiatrist for depression and my high level of GAD and social anxiety. It made me more worse than better even with Xanax. BEWARE this medication will make you gain weight even if you workout and have a strict healthy diet. I am a male who started at 135lb pounds, after 6 plus months my weight was 200 pounds...Got off of these and am now an Viibryd and it has worked wonders. 0 stars."

Bhawk22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2019

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "Started taking Remeron 3 months ago. I have severe anxiety and insomnia which in turn caused depression. I became dependent on Ativan after being hospitalized. I took the Remeron while weaning off the Ativan. I never thought my body would recover. I suffered through the withdrawals and while wanting for the Remeron to kick in. It helped me sleep starting the first night. Ever since I’ve been sleeping average of 9 hours a night which I desperately needed. For my anxiety and depression it was a gradual effect and took almost two months to work. I’m glad I stuck with it. Don’t get discouraged when starting this med. It takes time to work. I’m happy to say I’m no longer dependent on Ativan. I only take as needed which is rare. Remeron has helped me wean off the Ativan as well as being able to function daily without constantly being on the edge."

Tiem (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have bipolar and anxiety disorders. My anxiety has increased over the last 2 years and is now so bad that I have a hard time leaving my home or even making a phone call. I sleep once every 24 - 72 hours or so, usually for 3 - 10 hours each time. My psychiatrist prescribed 15 mg mirtazapine for my anxiety and insomnia. I took it for 4 weeks without any improvement. He then bumped the dosage up to 30 mg. Again, there was no improvement over the next 5 weeks. But I became ravenous. Food was the first thing I thought about when I woke up, and no matter how much I ate or how full I got, I had this constant and overwhelming desire to eat more. I have had issues with controlling my weight my entire life, but I have never experienced such a horrible and persistent compulsion to eat like this. I gained at least 18 pounds in less than 5 weeks, and considering it did nothing to help with my anxiety or sleep, I stopped taking it."

Laura C18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2019

For Depression: "I have been taking Mirtazapine 15mg on top of Lexapro 20mg. I've been on Lexapro for many years. It helps my depression but not my anxiety. After taking this I cannot believe the difference. It has knocked my bad anxiety on the head. I feel much calmer than I did before. I could not function without feeling like I was in a car accident every 5 minutes. I'd have constant heart racing, thumping in my chest and throat. Now, the anxiety has calmed right down to a normal level. I have waited a long time for this medication. I'm so happy its working."

YupYup (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2019

For Depression: "This drug has been nothing but a wonder for me. Woke up suicidal from being on nortriptyline and also the added bonus of domestic abuse happening to me. Couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, was being controlled through my lack of sleep and I was being kept in a state of mental distress. Mirtazipine helped me get my sleep which was the most important as I knew once I slept, the depression would then go in time. I couldn't sing it's praise enough for the three things I needed, sleeping, eating and hardly overthinking at all. I was 10 stone 7 and now I'm a happy and healthy 13 stone. Back to training though I think before I become blubber haha! The few downsides I have experienced though are jumbled speech now and then. Sometimes in a morning I can be groggy for a while but I'd rather that feeling than my mind racing and never being able to silence the negative chatter. Only on 15mg, hope to be on these for a while."

Crimsonkingxiii (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2019

For Insomnia: "I been taking remeron for 2 years it works great for my sleep"

Barbie22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 27, 2019

For Anxiety: "Mirtazapine is alright, I am into my 3rd month, at 30mg and my anxiety has gone, and I'm not extreme lows anymore. However I'm not really feeling "happy" and it has made me experience some psychotic episodes. It's alright, maybe not the drug for some people. I will see out the course but keen to come off."

WoodBlade (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've been taking mirtazapine 30mg for about four years. It has been effective for me in managing OCD symptoms -- has enabled me to put things in perspective much better. Positive help with sleeping. Weight gain has been a challenge, but I've managed fairly well using exercise and limiting refined carbos."

jbud (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Along with PTSD, I suffer depression but I got the mirtazapine for regulating my sleep. In this aspect, it has worked very well. The first night I took it, I slept walked & had very vivid dreams. Since then, I’ve just had really lucid/vivid dreams that seem to last whole timelines. I find them fun regardless of how it goes. I wake up feeling well rested. As it has just become spring, I’m not sure if the headaches & mild body discomfort are related to the medication or just weather changes and pollen. Nothing unmanageable."

Me (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been on Mirtzapine for approximately 4 weeks, in those 4 weeks I have been able to sleep through the night for the first time in months, I've been able to eat healthy amounts, I've gained 7 pounds which makes me no longer underweight, and have just had generally more upwards moods. Although Mirt hasn't worked for my anxiety, after about 7+ medications mirtazapine is the first one to significantly help me sleep through the night and be able to get up in the morning and have a routine. I can't believe how this antidepressant makes me feel. If you are afraid of the weight gain, try it anyways. The ONLY negative things that have to do with this drug for me are that I get sweaty at night and have had a few nightmares, however they are very tolerable as i've never been actually scared of my nightmares. PLEASE try this medication, it may change your life as i've barely been on it a month and it's changed mine."

kate (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2019

For Anxiety: "Been on Mirtazapine for over a year for depression, anxiety & insomnia. It does work well on all those things but at first I had an insane appetite - I could eat a fully loaded 12 inch pizza & still feel hungry, or I would eat a large meal at McDonald's but then go back to grab a double cheeseburger, I put on almost 30 pounds in 2 months, thankfully this crazy appetite waned considerably & I have a more normal appetite now. The only issue I have is if I get fed up with taking the Mirtazapine & try to stop taking it I literally do not sleep a wink, I close my eyes but nothing happens, it's a very long night & I just lay there until the birds start singing. So I end up going back to taking it so I can get some sleep."

Matty (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "Been on mirtazapine for 2 weeks now at 15mg to help me quit smoking weed, I've been smoking a lot for 12 years. I'm not sleeping well but feel good, no more anxiety and I've been sober for 2 weeks. I tried to quit smoking weed more then once by myself but just couldn't do it - this had bee a true lifesaver for me."

Michael (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2019

For Insomnia: "I've suffered from chronic insomnia for 7 years. I've tried so many different things and nothing worked. I've tried several different SSRI'S Zoplicone Zopliderm, over the counter sleeping medications natural herbal medicines and nothing has worked. I tried 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine last night for the insomnia and fell asleep in about 30 minutes, I slept threw the entire night almost 12 hours. Probably the best slept I've had in 7 years although I do feel extremely groggy this morning and had a really hard time getting out of bed. This drug lasts a long time so I wouldn't recommend taking it if you only have less than 8 hours to get up or else you will feel like a zombie in the morning. 7.5mg was plenty for insomnia I would recommend this for someone who has not had any sleep lately it truly works better than anything I've tried."

Meganb (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2019

For Anxiety: "Been on mirtazapine for my anxiety for about 3 weeks. It worked for sleep! As I was unable to get any due to night panics (the worse thing ever) and helped me eat. Felt completely spaced out and depersonalised which has subsided a bit. My crushing depression remains, I just can’t stop overthinking so I will have a chat to my GP about this."

Jblack123 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2019

For Insomnia: " I can click on all the above conditions, minus one. I was given Mirtazapine 2 yrs ago, to help gain weight, calm my nerves, my insomnia, etc.. I'm still on the 15 mg once at bedtime. As this will knock ya out. But I'll awake 2 hrs later and be wide awake. Fine.... nevermind. Mirtazapine hasn't helped me. Knocks me out, I sleep 2 hours, then Imam like a sluggish ragdoll. I take Klonopin also Trazadone. I'm more tired and feel frustrated. Or nothing...severe depression."

DazeyJenni April 8, 2019