User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Insomnia 107 reviews 110 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 16 reviews 5 medications

6.9
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 535 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Insomnia: "I started this medication (7.5 mg) to treat insomnia that my psychiatrist thought was due to underlying anxiety disorder. Like others, I felt very dopey and groggy out the first 4-5 days. Have now been on the medication for 2 weeks and this has abated, but still with lower energy level during daytime. I have found that a Claritin-D in the AM reverses this feeling as well as reversing the increased appetite. Insomnia is improved - still a few days with difficulty falling asleep, but once I'm asleep I'm out until my alarm goes off."

Jason81 August 22, 2016

For Depression: "I've taken many different anti depressants for anxiety, depression, insomnia and agoraphobia for a number of things really. I'm taking 30mg and I've been taking it around 4 months now, for the first two months my mood had improved but I slept around 15 hours a night but after having around 6 months of about 1-2 hours sleep a night it was welcome to me. And also I ate everything which my loved ones enjoyed as my anxiety was so bad I hardly ate. But now I've reached the point where they seem to have stopped working for me, I've become really anxious again and stressed out over anything and my moods are the worst!! I am really disappointed as they worked so well for so long, so hoping to try something else soon :("

livvy20 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have fairly severe anxiety and depression, as well as some insomnia. I've only been on this medication for a few days. I have tried Lexapro, Buspirone, Zoloft, Gabapentin, Trazadone, and Topamax. I was on Lexapro for about three years and it worked wonders. All of the others either had little to no effect or had terrible side effects. I am now coming off Zoloft and starting Remeron (mirtazipine) combined with Effexor Xr. Although I have not been on it long enough for it to improve my mood, I have noticed that it makes me feel almost zombie like. It helps me sleep, but I have to force myself out of bed and I am constantly tired throughout the day. I am going to give it some time and see how it goes."

Tiffamber August 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've been taking these for about 6 months on 15mg. I actually have zero to no side effects apart from the occasional morning drowsiness but nothing to the extent that I felt in the first two weeks. I also have had minimal weight gain. I'm really petite so I quite worried about that side effect. I've only put on about 3 kilos which if anything has made me look a lot healthier. I did lose about 1 kilo by cutting out red meat, potato, white bread etc. I did get cravings when I was first on it but that subsided. All I can say is that it's worth waiting it out with this drug. It brings you to a really calm place where you can beat the anxiety. It doesn't "cure" anxiety but with CBT exercise I have never been in a better place."

Anonymoussssssss August 12, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've been prescribed mirtazapine for the last 12 months now. It certainly helps me sleep and I can sleep for 12 hours easily.. Only criticism I have is the grogginess and drowsiness the next morning. That lasts for around an hour. For some reason I crave junk food whilst I'm taking it. So I can see why people can gain weight. I gained a stone, but being disciplined and exercising has changed that. I can't say I feel any different taking it re depression, however it is very effective for insomnia."

Jasminedee (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2016

For Depression: "I am on sertraline 100mg and 30mg of mirtazapine. As soon as I started taking it it helped immediately- it really helped with my depression but I now need to sleep around 11 hours a night - and as a result I am now registered as disabled with my university. I don't so much mind the additional sleep - people understand. However the weight gain is harsh.... I have been on it about a year and I have put on about a stone. I now ( when I'm at home) eat very healthily and the weight has started to go- but now I have been on holiday for 2 weeks and I have definitely put weight back on. But for me it is so effective with my depression - when I have sufficient sleep- I will just have to learn to deal with it and change my diet while I'm on this!"

PhDStudentAnon August 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "I took this drug for 10 months and have been off it for 1 year, whilst on the drug I became vacant over my life. gained weight suffered with numerous ailments to many to list from flue like symptoms to a altered heart rhythm, increased anxiety, When coming off the drug on a slow taper I suffered suicide ideation, low blood pressure, blood sugar problems and damaged endocrine system, It blocks certain neurotransmitters in the brain to work so when you stop taking it, they do not perform correctly, ie digestion and thyroid problems, blocking histamine transmitters leaving your body open to food allergies . A lot of these problems are not easy to rectify and I still have them. why give 10 out of 10. If your still taking it, beware!"

my storey July 30, 2016

For Depression: "I have been sick full of anxiety and remnants of my psychosis(thinking negatively about myself alot)and this medication has saved my life. I have experienced no side effects so far, it even barely makes me tired. I take it at night before i go to bed, also i started on a low dosage (7,5) then 15, and finally now 30 mg. Since it was increased to 30 everything has changed for the better. I went from functioning on a I am functioning at the highest level of my life(and this is just the beginning, it will continue to improve until around 2 weeks because the official therapeutic dose is 30 mg.)"

Alexnow398punk (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I have been taking Remeron 45mg.approx 2 years. Gained about 20 lbs, my son passed and I ate comfort food,thought I could get it off fast.I did lose the weight,now my cholesterol is very high and ALL the statins does NOT mesh with (Remeron) I either have a rash or itch.I am going to get my Dr. to decrease it and or stop it gradually and get my cholesterol down then maybe start back on it.When my son passed I ate Edwards pies, the whole thing in a day and or ice cream daily,(the whole box) The PTSD comes on every once in a while,or I have a really bad nightmare.The thought of a heart attack is not worth it. Had PTSD,since I was 11 years old and had so many diagnosis thrown at me that did NOT fit, I know its PTSD,NOW! Remeron helps me!"

Cameo Tx (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2016

For Depression: "I'm going into my 3rd month on this medication.what can I say it helped with my anti depression but the weight gain is a joke!!! I'm 30 years old.always sat about 52 kilos and now weight 61 kilos. I'm in my 1st week of my 3rd month. I feel worse then before as iv gained so much weight in such a short time.iv had to go out and by all new clothes which makes me sad that iv gotten that big. Now the sleeping I sleep I always sleep and find it so hard to wake up.this is horrible and I suggest going down all other avenues be for taking this drug."

breeza July 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was prescirbed 15mg at night so scared to take this after what i had read so i started on just a quarter of a tablet and thank god i did this tiny piece of tablet nearly had me passing out what would a whole one do?"

oldgraymare (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2016

For Depression: "Miracle drug for me. I had a very bad reaction to SSRIs (hospitalised for some days) and amitriptyline (couldn't stop sleeping) before my GP suggested we try mirtazapine for my mood and migraine management. I started on 15mg. My migraines were unchanged (now managed by topimarate), but my mood has improved a thousandfold - while formerly I was very much reclusive, self-loathing, and suicidal, I can now leave my flat and socialise! My college grades are back up to standard, and I've found myself generally enjoying life. Overall a huge improvement - still a way to go, but having just upped my dose to 30mg the future seems bright. Side effects are minimal - I sleep much better now. Avoid alcohol though, it doesn't mix too well with the pills."

A. Nonny Mouse (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "This medicine changed my life.. It made me feel well and travel freely without any anxiety stmptoms or panic attacks.. It was amazing for me.. Until suddenly i started to notice that am gaining weight. I was 53 kilograms.. And after taking remeron for three months am 78 kilograms. It made me feel hungry.. Cravings sweets, pastas, pizzaz... What ever i eat and how much will still keep me hungry.. Now it is depressing me because i gained weight and this changed how i use to look And sizes Am now on my fourth month of this medicine.. 30 mg.. And my anxiety and panic attacks are 30% back. My dr. Recomended to increase the dose to 45mg.. But i refused. Cbt is doing well.. But am depressed about this medicine.. Tried many others but got allergy"

Hamood als July 11, 2016

For Depression: "I've had a lot of success with this drug. I was always distracted, unmotivated, anxious, and down. Remeron gave me clarity of mind, healthy appetite, nice sleep through the night ( and great,vivid dreams). My only negative comment is when you mix this drug with the wrong thing, you feel like you are going to die. If you're relatively healthy, not on many other drugs, don't do any drugs or drink a lot it's a very helpful and basically side effect free. But one time i was an idiot and drank quite a bit and took it as usual, before bed. I was on the ground crawling to my bed- i felt awful. I also tried to quit smoking with a nicoderm patch and i woke up feeling so dizzy, shaking and light headed- very scary."

JayLH1992 July 10, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Started 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine on June 3rd for anxiety and depression. My episode started in the begging of May and I was having good days and bad days. After starting the mirtazapine, I still feel general sadness and not myself. I had moments of clarity but just wasn't feeling enough affect. After three weeks, I upped my dose to 15 mg. I immediately felt better and like my old self. I was so excited but that only last for a week. The last two days the depression/sadness has crept back in along with the worrying. I called the doc to see about upping my dosage to 30mg. She wants me to give it another week and then go back and talk about upping the dosage or trying a different med. I can't do SSRI's. they sent me off the deep edge."

JWinsy July 6, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've had a very strange experience with this medication. I've been suffering from chronic insomnia for a couple of years now - I've been prescribed every sleeping aid under the sun. Having had bad experiences with most tablets - Zopiclone (evil stuff - always feel irritable and miserable after taking it), Trazadone (spaced out, constipated with a really dry mouth!), antihistamines (don't work at all), Zolpidem (fall asleep for 2 hours, wake up and can't go back to sleep) Anyway, you get the picture! When I take Mirtazapine (7.5mg) I fall asleep roughly 30 mins later and sleep for a solid 9 hours! Sounds good....however, the next day I feel SO weird...detached from reality to the point where I can't function on any level :-("

Lozenger_85 July 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "Im not surev about this medication, I have hade good days and horrible ones. I think this has made my anxietie way worse. The withdrawl symptoms are horrible, i will never take this again."

keegs3324 July 1, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was so scared to try these tablets. But I must say mood wise I'm feeling fab.They do help you sleep better and have vivid dreams but ive not had any scary ones! and they do make you feel like you don't want to wake up but you soon get out of it once your running around doing things. I looked them up on the net and saw nothing but scare stories. I started on 15mg and was terrified due to what id read. But they was fab! then I went to 30mg as people can start going downhill again on 15mg its completely normal. Then I went to 45mg and they sent me loopy (high serotonin levels) but after 3 days back to 30mg I was fine. I still get panic attacks but pills wont fix that problem. self help and cbt therapy fixes that apparently."

justhayley (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

For Depression: "I started taking this medicine due to a bad boutique of depression. The only side effects that I have had are very strange dreams (which isn't a bad thing there all funny dreams no bad ones) and also finding it hard to wake up in a morning due to sleeping like a log. This usually lasts around 30 mins and I have to literally force myself out of bed which is hard some days. On the plus side after around 30mins I feel refreshed and better than I have for a long long time and I would rate the treatment a success. One thing to note if you drink more than a few pints of beer it will not be the treatment for you as it does not mix well with alcohol"

Secret knight (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've been taking it for depression/anxiety for about seven years now. The 1st time I took it I got a horrible restless feeling an hour after taking it..it was really horrible, pretty unbearable but after the second day I was fine. It is an excellent sleep aid, it knocks you out into a deep sleep with really vivid and usually pleasant dreams..getting out of bed afterwards is the only hard part! It leaves you pretty groggy and sedated for the start of the day. Everybody else is rushing around work getting stuff done and my brain is operating on half speed. For that reason I'm thinking of tapering off it. I also have a sense of apathy..everything is 'ok'..even when it's not..take it to get yourself better but get off it when you can"

jobobby1 June 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "This medication has been brilliant for anxiety, insomnia and getting my appetite back. However, if you read the side effects of mirtazapine, it does indicate that weight gain is one of the main side effects of this medication regardless of how little you eat. READ IT! If you eat twice as much as usual you will become very overweight. Mirtazapine has really helped my depression, anxiety, insomnia and lack of appetite. I have put on 2 stone in 5 months on 15 mgs a day and that's without 'pigging out' I have decided to taper off by taking 15 mgs every other day for a couple of weeks then down to 15mgs 1 in3 days and see how it goes. I have started to notice a difference already I'm not mad enough to stop it completely its helped me so much"

Anonymous June 26, 2016

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This is a wonder drug for my Depression. However, the only drawback is to me it is physically addicting."

Foxtrotz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

For Depression: "I had really severe depression for years and different anti-depressants weren't helping. The doctor decided to try me on 45mg of mirtazapine and although the transition period was difficult, I've never had a bad day since. Cannot rate this medication higher for how much it has helped me."

Jean bean June 17, 2016

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "At first, I took Remeron and I was knocked out for a full day. I was underweight and had panic anxiety. This really helped me. After the first day my body seemed to adjust to Remeron and by the 3rd day, I didn't have any tired feeling at all. It definitely helped me with sleep. I am now on 30 x 2 tabs a day and have been on this for years. I am actually afraid to get off of it. It has helped me through very difficult times."

bumarel June 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "I suffer from Sever Psychotic Depression I've been taking mirtazapine for up to 6 to 7 months. it worked well at the start but after a month it was like stuffing medication inside me and nothing helping. just yesterday I got 30mg and it helped a lot, maybe they help at the start but I'm scared I will get addicted . I have gained 3 stones because of the medication . I cant stop eating and after eating a big meal I'm still hungry, I feel lazy most of the time, Quetiapine is a failure, it will only help to fall asleep 30 mins or an hour after taking it, but the next morning i feel worse hallucinations and illusions i will request you to see how it goes for the first moth , if theres any cure then great if not the please tell a Psychiatris"

zahraa-ali1997 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2016