User Reviews for Mirtazapine

6.7

Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 7.0 1,128 reviews

Reviews for Mirtazapine

Elle · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 12, 2019

For Depression: "This drug mirtazapine made my husband sleep all day and be apathetic. He wouldn’t get out of bed. He was on it for a few years. Initially it seemed good but he put a lot of weight on and got speeding tickets and started gambling without telling me. Eventually he weaned off it over 3 months but them a few months later became extremely anxious and suicidal and insomniac. He is now back on it with sertraline 50mg but he has cut back to just 3.75 and it seems to be enough to be enough to take the edge off the sertraline and help him sleep. Wish he never started on it. He has Parkinson’s now and I can’t help wondering if these drugs and the antibiotics they had him on for roseacea helped to bring on his condition. He is in his 50s. If you aren’t on it already try Hardy’s daily essential nutrients before trying antidepressants as you may just be deficient in b vitamins and minerals."

Istic · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2019

For Insomnia: "Left me having involuntary jerking motion in arms, hands, legs, uncontrollable almost seizure like (Dystonia?)"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2019

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "I was started on 7.5 mg of Remeron when I was having anxiety and panic attacks. Within a few days, I started feeling significantly better. A few months later, and I have had only a few minor episodes of panic. It has greatly improved my life with no major side effects."

Jordan · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2019

For Depression: "I’ve been on mirtazapine just under a week now @ 15mg for depression. The nightmares I’m having seem to be getting worse. I don’t feel they help me sleep either. My worst nightmare was this morning when I thought I was having a seizure and about to die. I woke up not knowing whether I did have a seizure or it was a dream because it was SO intense. I do feel better and the groggy feeling the day after taking them has gone. I guess I just got to ride out the side affects? Anyone else have real bad dreams?"

Kaye August 10, 2019

For Anxiety: "Horrible! Gives me extreme heart palpitations and chest pains. I have been in a constant panic attack for a week and just went to the hospital today. My anxiety was bad before mirtazapine, but its unbearable on it.. My visions shaky, my arms and my legs fall asleep, I'm zombified until hours after I wake up and then its panic attack mode. FDA has issues several warnings for this drug. I do NOT reccomended!"

B · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

For Anxiety: "Mirtazapine drug is amazing. Used to wake up every morning shaking, fists clenched, very fearful and anxious. This completely subsided after 2 weeks of taking 7.5 mg of mirtazapine at night. Also taking 100mg Desvenlafaxine in the morning but I am considering dropping it and just taking mirtazapine. My appetite has increased a lot which is partly due to the easing of the anxiety. I have picked up 2kgs but am training 4 times per week to compensate. It doesn’t help with sleep to the extent that trazodone does, but by tackling the underlying anxiety I am now able to sleep with only 7.5mg of mirtazapine. (Initially I was taking both trazodone and mirtazapine at night to sleep.) Also seeing a therapist that specializes in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) which deals with distress tolerance. The combination therapy, exercise and mirtazapine is undeniable. I have been on every conceivable anti-depressant and none have been as effective as mirtazapine for my anxiety (and resulting depression)"

Him · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2019

For Insomnia: "I was on this at 15mg at night for insomnia. Knocked me out but woke after 4-5 hours and although I felt really tired still could not get back off to sleep!! I got taken off this and put onto sertraline. I tried it for 16 days and it didn't agree with me one bit so now back on remoron. Just took 7.5mg to see if this works better for me as I've read on here that less is better for sleep!! Fingers crossed. I just hope everyone gets over there insomnia soon. Nothing worse!! I've tried all sorts them Z sleeping pills had same affect knocked me out but not for as long as I wanted!!"

Shaza · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 7, 2019

For Anxiety: "I’ve been on mirtazapine 15mg for almost 2 years for anxiety linked to menopause (and relationship worries) and have been taking it nightly to help mainly with sleep. Excellent for sleep as I was struggling massively before starting this, although I do tend to feel bit tired during the day particularly at weekends. I’m a teacher, so tiredness during the week days is usually negated by the demands of my job!! As I’m naturally thin haven’t noticed much in the way of weight gain apart from normal middle age tummy increases. I think that this is a great medication for use to support sleep issues and has got rid of the awful tummy butterflies I used to experience. I recently decided to reduce down to 7.5mg but anxiety began to creep in again so went back to 15mg. If I have to take it long term so be it as it’s worth it. One negative is dreadful dry mouth first thing in morning as well as bad taste but soon disappears."

madge4562 August 7, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I wish I had seen these reviews before starting mirtazapine. I have been trying many different antidepressants for years. Some seem to work for a while and then stop, so I try another prescription or change the combination. I have always struggled with my weight but in 2017, I got down to a pretty good weight through diet and hard exercise. I have continued working out 6 days a week but have been getting more and more depressed because my eating was out of control. I craved carbs and couldn’t stop myself. It never dawned on me that mirtazapine might be the culprit until my visit with my psychiatrist last week. I told him I had gained 40 pounds since March of 2018. He looked and saw I had started taking 30 mg of mirtazapine in March of 2018. I stopped it on Aug 1 and by Aug 3, all cravings stopped! No more binge eating. I’ve lost 4 pounds in a week. To anyone who is prone to overeating: beware of this drug."

Bruce · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2019

For Insomnia: "Mirtazapine is an effective drug for insomnia but I have a hard time waking up because of it. I wake up after 7 or 8 hours but if I shut my eyes for what feels like a split second I'm sleeping again for another couple of hours. I shouldn't moan really as I'd rather sleep than have the horrible insomnia that I had. Good sleep is essential for mental & physical well being."

Katya · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

For Depression: "It was prescribed as I've had insomnia and severe depression. Took it yesterday and felt floaty but my eyesight went strange (I don't wear glasses) I couldn't see things clearly for a couple of hours. I was pleased that I got to sleep so well though and I woke up easily this morning. Trying to get ready this morning though was awful my face and eyes were swollen and my skin was grey. I looked in the mirror this afternoon and my stomach was enormous like I'd gained 10kg overnight without eating. These are going in the bin."

The Slicer · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 7, 2019

For Insomnia: "This drug has been a life saver for me, I tried Ambien, Sonata, Trazadone etc. for 15 years but came across Mirtazapine prescribed by my PCP. He gave me the 30mg tablets and not knowing any better I took a whole tablet my first night at Walt Disney World, I missed the next day asleep!!! I've used Mirtazapine for 10 years now using only 3.75mg at night and it still works for me!!! I take the 15mg tablets and cut them into 1/4 to get my dosage. The greatest thing about Mirtazapine for me at this small dose is it will still allow me to go back to sleep even after I get up 3-4 times at night to urinate. In the past once I was awake it was 2-3 hours before I went back to sleep and was miserable the next day and as I said this has seriously been a miracle sleep drug for me at the low dosage."

Toon lad · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

For Anxiety: "I've been on mirtazapine for about 6 weeks as suffer from insomnia and health anxiety. It's been really good for my sleeping but do get the odd day of feeling wiped out but don't mind that as I'm actually getting sleep"

Joey · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "I’ve taken this for 10 weeks and unfortunately with little to no improvement. I took 7.5mg for 7 weeks because I couldn’t increase due to side effects. Primarily nausea which is something I am already dealing with and why I was prescribed this medicine in the first place. Also dizziness and grogginess but those weren’t too bad. I increased to 15mg weeks 7-10 and am now starting to taper because side effects continued to increase without relief and so I can try a new Rx. I took this not for depression or anxiety but for upper gastrointestinal issues; bloating, belching, reflux, fullness, nausea etc. As I mentioned, I felt most of this got worse and experienced depression like I never have in my life. None if this as a knock to the medicine, just goes to show that you really need to find the right one for you and maybe when taking off-label can cause additional side effects."

Anonymous August 5, 2019

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "Don't take this unless you wanna feel tired/drunk all the next day. On the plus side I don't feel depressed, but this state isn't any better."

Clareyy · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2019

For Anxiety: "Started taking these on Tuesday evening it’s now Saturday. Started feeling hungry already which is good for me. Had minimal side effects, constipation and nausea but took Stemetil to combat the nausea. How long do the side effects last for."

merp August 3, 2019

For Anxiety: "I'm 22 and I've been on 15mg mirtazapine for some weeks now. I've always been anti medication, however, anxiety and depression is ruining my life. I can't say it's working just yet as I've had a couple of panic attacks since being on it and still don't really feel less anxious or depressed. I've read it knocks people right out but, for me I'm having very broken sleep because of the dreams. I'm used to having terrible nightmares and vivid/lucid dreaming, but these dreams are something else. Extremely vivid and a lot of the time I dream that I wake up, so when I really do wake up I'm completely confused and it feels like I'm not in reality whatsoever. I am more irritable and lethargic every morning, I put it down to the confusion from the night of insane dreams. Hunger is very real and extremely annoying side effect as I can safely say I've put on a considerable amount of weight in just a few weeks. Besides the dreams, hunger, irritability there are no other negative side effects for me."

Laurab · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2019

For Insomnia: "I had anxiety and insomnia for years. I have tried every over the counter drug possible. They all work for awhile, but then don't. I had tried Xanax, that worked, but I would only take that once or twice a week...if that. Dr was concerned with addiction issues, and wanted me to try mirtazapine. 7.5mg. it works great. I am not depressed, and have never had an issue with that. The only side affect I've experienced is feeling groggy in the morning for about an hour, and sometimes it hits me again in the afternoon. No weight gain, no dream or suicidal thoughts. This drug works wonderfully. I may consider the every other day method to see if that helps relieve the grogginess."

Yaboii · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2019

For Anxiety: "So for starters, I've been on mirtazapine for about a month and gained 5-10 pounds since I've started. So trying to stay away from junk food and sugar before bed is tough, pretty much got the munchies lol. But I've been taking 15mg mirtazapine at 6pm and valerian root+melatonin at 10pm to be asleep by 11:30pm. I have bad anxiety and Insomnia but personally my depression is on again, off again type deal and I find mirtazapine helps me more for anxiety and Insomnia vs helping me with my rollercoaster depression ride. And not gonna lie, I do get some interesting/gnarly dreams but I think it's the Valerian root that's causing it. or could very well be the mirtazapine. I'm able to remember these dream the following day since I've been taking the Mirtazapine so definitely some sort of correlation. Anyways that's my 2 cents worth. do what you will with it. ✌"

Debbo August 1, 2019

For Anxiety: "Hi. I started Mirtazapine when insomnia and fear came together keeping me up at night. I have a history of approx 6 years plus of terrible OCD. This medicine helped me sleep the first 3 nights at 15mg, but no more. My GP added zopiclone 7.5mg half tab nightly which works. Mirtazapine makes me want to binge eat straight after taking It, so bedtime is good to avoid eating. Has helped pretty well with anxiety and fear but not OCD - the words remain. This pill is better than sertraline for me and worked quicker, within days for the worst anxiety. I am thinking of upping to 30mg as I am a bit slow and OCD may improve? This medicine was fine from the first dose, just a bit of tiredness, no weird feeling, sertraline and fluoxetine made me feel odd for weeks before they began to work, but not this pill, immediately fine, I just felt more like "me". recommended."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2019

For Depression: "Been OK on 30mg Went up to 45mg and I started having really dark thoughts and panic attacks"

123456789 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 31, 2019

For Depression: "The postives: Improved my sleeping issues instantly and did calm my anxiety. The negatives: 1 stone weight gain in 3 month's, numbed emotions, constant insular moods, didn't enjoy anything, caused zombie state at times which impaired cognitive performance and led to carelessness. As a result changed meds after 6 months - mood has improved significantly although sleep is deteriorating which is a concern."

Bruce · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 30, 2019

For Anxiety: "This drug helped me out of benzo withdrawal but sadly it stopped working after a year."

Earlybird · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

For Insomnia: "A life changer! This drug is brilliant for insomnia, and no after effects at all. 15 mgs works a treat. Happy to stay on this forever."

Annie boo · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have been taking mirtazipine for three months now, started on the 7.5mg then increasing to 15mg and now I'm taking 22.05mg. I was a wreck and hospitalised with anxiety symptoms when I started mirtazapine. They saved my life. I have gained weight but that was needed as I had lost too much due to nervous stomach. I still have wobbly days on and off and the odd panic attack. But seriously not like as I did before using this drug. I couldn't take prozac citalopram or sertraline. But this drug as been amazing. I'd rather have a bit of weight on me than suffer the anxiety. I'm thinking of upping to 30mg as recommended optimal treatment for anxiety. Please don't be afraid to try this drug if others have failed you. I wish my GP had prescribed this one first it might have saved me months of bed ridden anxiety. Good luck everyone x"