User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Mirtazapine has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 1,500 ratings on Drugs.com. 55% of those users who reviewed Mirtazapine reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Insomnia  Off-label 7.1
Hot Flashes  Off-label 5.0
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 6.8 1,500 reviews

Reviews for Mirtazapine

Becky March 4, 2021

For Anxiety: “I was prescribed 15mg mirtazapine to take at bedtime due to anxiety and trouble sleeping at night. Within half hour I almost passed out from it, I had dizziness, nausea, my hearing was muffled and I lost peripheral vision. I managed to make it upstairs to bed but then passed out for 13 hours. The next day I felt "floaty" and really happy, I didn't take a dose the following night because I was going to have a glass of wine for my birthday celebrations (I wound up having two, this is not a lot for me and again I didn't take another dose) the following day (36 hours after my 15mg dose of mirtazapine, I couldn't stay awake, my dad had to pick me up to take me to his house as I didn't feel able to drive and was worried about not staying awake. Its been almost a week since taking that one 15mg dose and I still feel odd, light-headed and dizzy some days and I'm sleeping up to 14 hours some nights ( I was barely sleeping all year prior to this). My doctor has advised me not to take anymore”

Els March 4, 2021

For Depression: “Effective for me, but noticeable side effects - the first couple weeks of taking it I was constantly drowsy. Improved after increasing the dose from 15mg to 30mg though. Continued to need way more sleep and found it pretty much impossible to wake up in the mornings plus a general feeling of slowness/spaciness but worth IMO as the antidepressant effects are powerful and fast working. Definitely better than SSRIS in my case. Also increased my appetite and gave me a massive sweet tooth but not really a problem as I had been struggling with a lack of appetite/low BMIbeforehand. Just started tapering off now and the difference to my sleep and concentration is so noticeable, but I would happily go back on this drug whenever necessary. Worth it if you can hack the side effects imo.”

HT March 3, 2021

For Anxiety: “I have been on Mirtazapine for a few years. my experience had been positive overall. Initially I was very under weight due to depression, couldn’t sleep and found other tablets that weren’t sedatives made my anxiety worse. I had the normal side effects of the tablets of feeling worse at the start but the sedative side really helped me to rest, as sleep is so important. I did have very strange dreams but these passed for me. I did put on weight however I am a very active person so feel I’ve kept a lot of the weight gain at bay, for others I know the weight gain can be a big thing. I get some water retention in my face from these. I was on 15mg every night and now am on this every other night. I’m looking at dropping this to 7.5 mg every other day to try and slowly come off (quite sad about it as I’ll miss the good sleep) my experience overall on these has been positive.”

Blue · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 3, 2021

For Anxiety: “I was prescribed mirtazapine while going through an unimaginable crisis, I was in constant panic, couldn't sleep or eat. Mirtazapine has been a great for me, I am much calmer, can sleep and eat. I've been on it for nearly two years now, only 7.5 mg, I'm not sure if I could ever come off it though as I worry that I won't be able to sleep again. I have probably gained nearly a stone in weight but that's not a problem for me as I've always been thin. Hope this helps others.”

callmedee March 2, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I started with mirtazapine 15mg. The first night, I got HEAVILY hungry and drowsy. Best appetite and sleep I had had in months. I also started having more happy days than sad days but it got to a point where I was putting on more weight than I was comfortable with. Anyway, my depression came back full force (Mostly due to college stress), so my dose got increased to 30mg. I have more control over the drowsiness and the hunger now but I feel numb. I don't find myself crying or genuinely laughing from my belly. I feel so apathetic and barely human but I'd prefer that to my days of severe depression when I wanted to end my life. I don't actively want to die anymore but I could care less about life, make sense? In summary, 15mg Mirtazapine briefly worked but wasn't strong enough to last. 30mg Mirtazapine took away my sadness and replaced it with apathy, which for me, is a step forward I guess”

User March 1, 2021

For Depression: “Mirtazapine really helped with the depression and anxiety. Especially the anxiety, which reduced significantly within the first week. I never had a problem with sleep but it defiantly helps you fall asleep, although I did feel groggy in the morning but this did get more manageable after the first few weeks (more coffee) The dreams were great, no nightmares, just very vivid. The only negative side effect I experienced is the weight gain. I put on over a stone within the first 4 months and couldn’t seem to shift it. My appetite increased considerably for sweet food which I didn’t eat much of beforehand. After 6 months, I reduced over time from 15 to 7.5 and then stopped talking the drug due to the weight gain. The withdraw symptoms have been ok, harder to fall asleep at night but I do sleep well when I finally drift off. Slightly nauseous during the day and appetite seems to have gone back to normal. Overall I would recommend if you don’t mind gaining weight.”

Broken · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2021

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: “Personality changes; anger, anger, anger. Destroyed relationship. Docs didn't care as long as physiological effects were OK. They don't care if you destroy your relationships due to the vicious psychological effects. If you love someone do not take this drug. You will become mean spirited and uncaring.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2021

For Insomnia: “Really great medication. At the beginning the side effects were a little bit tough but after like 3 weeks my body got used to it and now I have been doing good on the smallest dosage(7.5). The only thing that caused me is slight weight gain even tho I am a really active person that enjoys working out.”

JStep · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 28, 2021

For Insomnia: “I suffered 3 months of mind-numbing insomnia, due to a great deal of stress in my life. Most of the time I didn't sleep at all, but if I did, it was 1-2 hours at the most. I was prescribed 50 mg of Sertraline for anxiety, along with 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine to take at night. I can't tell you what a life-saver it has been for me! I sleep better than I have in years! I had lost 30-40 pounds due to the stress, depression and insomnia, and did gain it all back plus an extra 10 pounds. I also had a hysterectomy during this time, so I don't know if the weight gain was from the surgery, the sertraline or the mirtazapine, or a combination. I put off trying the Mirtazapine for sleep because I am scared of taking drugs, but finally relented. My advice to you is, try it. You won't know until you do. It may work for you, it may not. I know in my case, it was just what I needed!”

jspru February 28, 2021

For Insomnia: “My dr prescribed me this drug to help me 'sleep better' but I think he also believes that I have anxiety (I don't completely agree) and he is low key trying to treat me for that too. Anyways, I took half of a 7.5mg pill and in about 40 min it hit me hard and I had a strong urge to sleep. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out like a light. I slept soundly all night, but it was extremely hard to wake up in the morning. I slept 14 hrs in total! I was lightheaded and groggy the next day and about 3 hours after waking up I felt exhausted and slept for another hour. Next 3 hours I was awake and trying to work but found it impossible to concentrate or get anything done. Feeling sleepy again. Overall I was surprised how powerful this drug is even at such a small dosage. It certainly helped with my insomnia but I don't think it's worth the cost in how I felt the next day.”

Han · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I’ve been dealing with chronic depression my whole life with terrible anxiety. Tried all kinds of anti-depressants over the years and this drug is a GOD SENT. I’ve never liked most antidepressants due to the negative effects on sex drive and this hasn’t messed with my sex life one bit. Made me extremely groggy/sluggish with crazy hunger at first but after a month or two of taking it all bad side effects went away. Doesn’t make me feel like an emotionless zombie like most other antidepressants. Went from having panic attacks every day to one every two weeks MAYBE. I’m the happiest I’ve been in years. Only been taking it for about 4/5 months as well.”

Moetheiguana · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2021

For Anxiety: “Mirtazapine has completely eliminated my chronic anxiety. I have PTSD and panic disorder with agoraphobia. The mirtazapine has given me the chance to live life without carrying around all of the toxic anxiety I have been suffering from for decades. I'm so glad that my doctor recommended this drug.”

John · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2021

For Depression: “I was prescribed this for my anxiety and it helps but I just still feel depressed”

Dg768 · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2021

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: “If you have insomnia and lack of hunger this drug may be a God send for you. Unfortunately it was a terrible experience for me. Literally made me sleep 11+ hours, made me super groggy and tired the entire day. The drowsiness and tiredness made my daily activities and work so hard to do.”

Milovan · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2021

For Insomnia: “So I got this prescribed past Sunday only for 8 days, first night I slept only 2.5 hours and I woke up and didn't fall asleep again till 6am and woke up at 8 am and had such a weird dreams. Second day I took 15 mg before sleep and it knocked me out in 30 min, I got 4 hours of sleep, third night I skipped it I needed to rest so I took valium 15mg. I slept like baby, and tonight I took mirtazapine 15mg at 12:30 and now is 2:22 I still didn't fall asleep. I literally beg my doctor for valium because only that makes me sleep well and I don't know why, ambiem also never worked good for me.”

Ray February 16, 2021

For Anxiety: “Beware unless you're a person with insomnia or very thin and need to gain weight. Stay away from this medication, because its a sedating medication, and literally after a month all the benefits of that goes away, and you just feel like a zombie or numb to all feeling. I stopped it 6 days ago, I am finally starting to feel like my old self, anxiety still there, but more manageable. This medication should not be in the same class as other antidepressants...good luck”

ichirou · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2021

For Insomnia: “Had real difficulties with sleeping, would take hours upon hours to fall asleep, with a sleep schedule of falling asleep at 7am. This hit me like a truck -- maybe I was just catching up on previous missed sleep but I would sleep for 14 hours and still feel groggy when I woke up. Switched soon after”

Terryann · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2021

For Anxiety: “I took one 15mg before bed for anxiety and insomnia went straight to sleep. I woke at 2am to going to the bathroom I struggle to walk there as I was very wobbly and disoriented. Went back to sleep. I had horrible dreams all night that woke me several times then I couldn’t wake up. When I finally woke I was in a daze all day with blurred vision and I was being clumsy and couldn’t focus on anything. I will not be taking anymore just speaking to my doctor as obviously not the right one for me”

Ray February 13, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I been on 15 mg mirtazapine just a lil over 5 months, tried the 30mg for 9 days, made me have horrible disturbing images, so went back to 15mg. I think should be only recommended for people with insomnia, and high dosage don't work on me, for 5 months I felt like zombie...and thats not fixing your anxiety or depression its just making you numb to feel it. I call that cheating, you might think its helping but in reality its just making you numb to your feelings, I realized whenever something made me panic my anxiety would go crazy so hows that possible being on a medication after 5 months. I also noticed I gained over 20 pounds...I quit cold turkey 2 days ago, I have read some good and bad stories, but I rather quit now, and try new medication that's actually for my situation...mirtazapine is a sedating medication thats why every morning you wake up feeling foggy and out of it...”

Hey · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 12, 2021

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: “So I suffer from depression and anxiety. I had a really rough spot in my life and the doctor prescribed 60mg of remeron daily. It definitely helped me sleep and to minimize depression and anxiety but I gained 60lb in 6 months. I went from 180lb to 240lb, I'm serious. I got off of it and 6 months later I'm back to a natural weight around 200lb. It's a hardcore drug in my eyes. If you are having serious issues it's worth taking but you will gain weight. Everyone gains weight on it...”

Hopeful · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

For Anxiety: “I’ve been on Mirtazapine for around three to four weeks now, started off on 15 mg then quickly went up to 30 mg as had taken that dose before. I am feeling dizzy have terrible indigestion and feeling nauseous, still have no appetite. Think I need to go down to 15 mg again as the higher dose gives me too many side effects. Have been sleeping better and anxiety levels are better, guess it’s a long haul ride sometimes. Fingers crossed.”

Leo. February 8, 2021

For Insomnia: “I’ve had bad insomnia for about a week only getting 1-2 hours of sleep here and there. I first took mirtazapine was about 3 days ago. A quarter 30mg tablet. So approximately 7.5mg. About 30 minutes later I went to bed and slept through about 9 hours. Falling asleep was peaceful. I had a type of quietude in my mind. It really just felt peaceful I’ve been having deep sleep as well. But just that the idea of sleep is really appealing to me. They don’t make you feel tired. They just make you feel at peace with everything. I’ve had these tablets for about 3 months but I’m very wary of taking any sleeping tablets. These are not sleeping tablets. But they quite that part of your mind that stops you from falling asleep naturally.”

LittleLemon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 5, 2021

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: “I suddenly lost a ton of weight and couldn’t eat. After testing it was found I had gastroparesis. I can eat almost like a normal person now, though I still have to be mindful of digestion rates. I don’t feel like I got hit by a truck when I wake up anymore. I started at 7.5, but taking 15mg for the past 6 months. I can over eat with it too, which can cause problems. It also helps me sleep. It has brought back a quality of life I didn’t think I’d have again. More people should know about remeron for Gp”

Strataz · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 4, 2021

For Insomnia: “This drug mirtazapine will help you sleep and maybe help your depression. But you will eat. After a full meal you will still be hungry. This drug will make you eat your shoes, and anything that is not nailed down. You will get up at 3 in the morning and eat a full dinner meal like 2 veg and the lot. You will end up the size of a large house. Beware.”

Tim · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

For Anxiety: “mirtazapine was given to my 16 year old for insomnia/anxiety/OCD. It caused bad dreams and irrational thoughts and low mood during day leading to outbursts/panic attack. Ordered by doctor to stop taking it.”