User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

"I am on 45mg Mirtazapine for PTSD and major depression, it has helped me a lot. I'm sort of at a plateau at the moment, I've been very down and hard to stop myself from getting suicidal again. I've had a lot of side effects like dizziness, fatigue, weight gain even though I don't eat a lot, nausea etc. I tried to go down a dose but got really bad (suicidal) so doc put me back up and said I have to stay on it. I hasn't helped with my nightmares​, which are making me so exhausted. But in a bubble Mirtazapine is keeping me alive so it's obviously working."

Flopzy July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Instant side effects, all extreme. Lightheadedness,dry mouth; to the point it made not just my inner mouth dry, but my throat. Irritable isn't even the correct word. I was extremely angry, mad, and hostile for reason. That I can't even explain. My perception of depth was horrible. It took me 3 times just to pick something up off my counter. Every time I leaned to grab It, It seemed as if the object was further away.Definitely do NOT DRIVE!! I thought there was no way I would be able to have all of these side effects right away, and I was wrong. I went to the store to grab slushy for my children. When I came back outside to get into the Car; I realized that I Was directly parked over the dividing line for 2 parked vehicles. HATED this med"

Anonymous April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"5 days after starting on Mirtazipine I felt as if my brain had shrunk in my skull and was surrounded in an ice cold fog and felt like I was in a black & white horror film. The doctor didn't believe me when I reported this and said I would not notice a change for 14 days and to expect to feel worse before I felt better, so I took them for 2 & 1/2 months in which I plummeted into the worst mental & physical state . I stopped taking them after I began to see 'ghosts' and put on a short course of Quetiapine."

jockney (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Remeron 45mg.approx 2 years. Gained about 20 lbs, my son passed and I ate comfort food,thought I could get it off fast.I did lose the weight,now my cholesterol is very high and ALL the statins does NOT mesh with (Remeron) I either have a rash or itch.I am going to get my Dr. to decrease it and or stop it gradually and get my cholesterol down then maybe start back on it.When my son passed I ate Edwards pies, the whole thing in a day and or ice cream daily,(the whole box) The PTSD comes on every once in a while,or I have a really bad nightmare.The thought of a heart attack is not worth it. Had PTSD,since I was 11 years old and had so many diagnosis thrown at me that did NOT fit, I know its PTSD,NOW! Remeron helps me!"

Cameo Tx (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I first started taking Remeron it was for my PTSD and Depression (no help for anxiety). At 15mg it makes you the most drowsy and sometimes made me slightly nauseous- my psychiatrist told me most people have to up their dosage to feel relief of PTSD and to actually feel less tired, so I was slowly prescribed higher dosages and it provided a smooth transition for my body. I am currently on 45mg and I sleep great, with very vivid dreams, but I do not wake up drowsy nor do I have a change in appetite, and the best part is that I have a majority of my PTSD and Depression controlled! ( in the uk they go to 60+ mg of remeron but the U.S. is limited to prescribing 45mg! )"

Torii April 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have ptsd, depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety :/ first night taking 7.5mg of mirtazapine and I'm very nervous since I had a very bad experience with seroquil. Just hope it doesn't do the same as seroquil did. My dr said that this medicine is nothing like it so hopefully I'll be ok. I've been tiny my whole life, when I got on seroquil it made me go from 115 to 160 pounds within a few months so that made me happy and it helped me sleep but what it did that I HATED was that it brought on constant anxiety attacks that I couldn't really control and raised my heart rate to 180 one time because of the attack. Seroquil was literally the exact definition of hell :( hopefully mirtazapine helps me, cuz I'm a huge hypochondriac lol need advice"

Amber Dillow (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was Rx'd Remeron for PTSD physical issues. After years of treatment for vertigo 'imbalance ' and 'globular' sensation my doctor prescribed me many medications. This one finally worked! Although I gained 35 pounds because it increases your appetite. I'm so happy to not have vertigo or any other symptoms. We will see I how I do off it. I've been off it for 2 months now with no side effects at all:)"

TW7445 February 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with PTSD at first I was on 15mg of valium a day ( this kept me calm and clued on) , then my doctor put me on 15mg of Mirtazapine . I found it turned me into a moody, brain dead zombie the next day, even if I had it at 6pm at night I wouldn't be out of bed until at least 12pm the next day and I would still be tired. I ended up putting on heaps of weight, having worse mood swings and trouble falling alseep when I was on Mirtazapine. I have PTSD but I am NOT depressed, I tried to explain this to my Doctor but she didn't pay much attention, im wondering if that may have something to do with the way my body reacted. Personally I prefer 15 mg of valium, I'm calm and can still function 100%"

Anonymous June 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking 15mg Mirtazapine for anxiety and PTSD before bed for two months. At first it helped with the anxiety and nightmares I was having. Within 30 minutes of taking it I was out. It was very difficult to get out of bed in the morning. The morning drowsy side effects only lasted about two weeks for me but then I started having twitches in my eyelids. I had never had a seizure before but have had 3 petit mal seizures since. After my third and extremely violent seizure I stoped use and have not used since. Seizures have also stoped along with the twitching in my face. If you you start to have and twitching in your face or eyelids I recomend consulting your dr. By the time I did it was almost too late. I also experienced memory loss."

Chadwick85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking 15 mg of mirtapazine and 10 mg of zolpidem about 2 hrs before bedtime for over 6 years. I rarely have the vivid nightmares and generally get about 6 hours of good sleep followed by an hour or two of drowsiness. Before I was on this regimen, I was lucky to have 3 hours of sleep, so I am pretty happy with it."

oldfart2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 21, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on a few different medications, which all made me really drowsy and had little effect with anxiety symptoms, if anything was more paranoid as couldn't function properly, however now on 15mg mirtazapine taken around 8pm before bed, it has worked the best! I'm actually out of bed daily not feeling hopelessness and eased my anxiety ten fold..! I feel alive again.not hyper but normal, for the first time in long time. (10years) only side effect I've found is my appetites increased, but am monitoring it. If I had known that medication worked so well I would of asked for a review years ago."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mirtazapine is a great medication. It was my first antidepressant. I would say it's very mild compare to other antidepressants. The only problem was that I was eating too much, waking up at night to eat chocolate and I put on weight a lot! I think that I had restless legs syndrome too. Apart from that I was happy, no sexual dysfunction, great sleep. But after couple months I had panic attacks again. My body got used to it and my doctor increased the dose, even that couldn't help. I was on the highest dose...So I had to change my medication."

Anna1238 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made quite a difference quite fast to hypervigliance and anxiety symptoms. I am no longer as scared as I was sitting in my own house at night. It's no miracle, no medicine will ever take away the memories but this definitely improves functioning."

coxysmelons93 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine made me sleep so well and like others found it hard to get out of bed. When I did get up I was in a surreal state of mind very zombie like, pupils so full, looked like I was high. That was on 1/2 so I tried 1/4. The effects did lessen but I still felt weird."

Darlyn56 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 45 mg of mirtazapine for about 2 years. I stated taking it after I nearly got killed after a light truck hit me. I find it helps me out so much. All I do is focus on physical rehabilitation. I'm in a wheelchair at the moment but I will one day walk again. Maybe next year or in 10. Patience is a virtue. I stated off on 30 mg but my Doctor increased the dose. She could tell I was getting a bit low and my thoughts were dominating my personality. Of course she made the correct call. I find mirtazapine perfect for me. "

Mr Coolio (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 17, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Celexa then Zoloft for post traumatic stress disorder and they left me feeling like I was in the bottom of a well looking up. Mirtazapine makes me feel human again."

Anonymous December 13, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Sleep well, eat well. It gave me the energy to do the things I used to do. I love it so far and my husband has noticed a great difference in attitude, for the better. I get pleasure from things today. I had lost faith in Doctors to help me. I feel Alive Again, not high just Normal!"

Anonymous December 11, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on mirtazapine for almost 2 months now at 15mg for anxiety and PSTD. I take it before I go to bed because it does make me very drowsy. I get a good nights sleep with some crazy dreams but not anything bad. It has helped my depression well and I don't get as anxious when going certain places. Although, I do take half a pill for certain situations if I have to during the day. My appetite did increase greatly which was a benefit for me. Especially before bed, I can kill some donuts but I have been able to control it better now over some time. All in all it has worked well for me and I recommend it for others with the hope they experience the benefits I have. "

Anonymous November 12, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I haven't noticed any effect other than weird and vivid dreams, along with a reluctance to get out of bed in the morning. I started a couple of weeks ago with a low does of half a 15mg tab at night."

Anonymous October 20, 2011