User Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Mirtazapine has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 43 ratings for the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. 53% of those users who reviewed Mirtazapine reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Mirtazapine

Bbb10000 June 14, 2021

“Started mirtazapine on March 8 th, was taking amitriptyline 25mg but it messed with my heart so had to switch. I was started on 15mg mirtazapine, after 4-6 weeks I still felt awful so increased to 30mg, same thing so increased to 45mg. The adjustment period was rougher than other antidepressants I've been on. On 45mg my mood is totally stable. I don't feel anxious which is amazing. A lot of my symptoms have been reduced. I still experience triggers, but I'm not sure any pill would remove that. I can function again, nothing but good things to say about mirtazapine! ​I was so anxious prior that I couldn't eat, mirtazapine completely changed that, has really helped my body image. I've tried SO many SSRI's + the side effects were terrible, with mirtazapine I can still cry which is really important for me, I have no sexual disfunction. If you're struggling to adjust please keep going! When I was adjusting I'd come here + read good reviews to get me through. Worth it x”

Issyboo · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2021

“This caused side effects of racing heartbeat and dizziness, I threw them into the bin - they are vile”

Hetty May 4, 2021

“I have been on mirtazapine 30mg for about a year now for PTSD at first the doctor prescribed me 15mg which made me really sleepy and then he increased me to 30mg which helped my nightmares. I also take 3.5mg risperidone twice a day as well as 375mg venlafaxine which is working well for me. I also have autism.”

Toni · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2019

“I've been taking sertraline for about a year now (50mg>100mg>50mg) and this is only my first day into taking 15mg mirtazapine. The side effects of sertraline made it so I was always physically tired and yet found it incredibly hard to sleep, staying up until 5/6 am and having terrible nightmares (that seemed more often than before), then waking up between 12-3 naturally. I had my first mirtazapine tablet last night and slept like a baby from 2/3 am (when I took it) to 10:30 am NO NIGHTMARES! And no alarms. I did fall back asleep around 2pm until 6pm and I'm very drowsy but it's all mental tiredness. My body feels like I could go for a run. I'll give another review in a month but I think this medication could be very promising. Good luck to whoever is reading this, hope you are coping better soon.”

Umami al-Boolin April 13, 2020

“I've been on mirtazipine 30mg for 5 months now and it's definitely the only medication I've tried that seems to be effective. I have complex post traumatic stress disorder and it has helped me quite a lot with that. My anxiety has been reduced significantly and I no longer feel depressed. At the beginning, I did have difficulty waking up in the morning and staying awake due to the grogginess I felt but now, I don't have this problem at all and I even find myself waking up at 6-7 in the morning naturally. The only downside to this medication is the fact that it'll make you so, so hungry to the point that it can become quite painful. All you want to eat is chocolate, sweets, ice cream, biscuits and etc and the cravings are quite difficult to deal with. This does gradually decrease over time and it does become easier to manage. You can definitely combat these side effects if you find them becoming an issue.”

D July 11, 2019

“This medication mirtazapine has been life saving for me. I started it in March of this year and it’s definitely helped my anxiety, PTSD symptoms and I sleep so much better on it. If you haven’t had luck with typical anti-depressants I definitely recommend this.”

Exmil · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2020

“Started on 15mg dose of mirtazapine then 30mg and now 45mg daily. Has helped with falling asleep, not helped with the poor disturbing sleep yet. Mood more stable, still feel negative and look to blame myself, but others have remarked I look well. Am by no means a fan of tablets, but for me this one has helped me focus on me more than any other. Like most of you I am happiest in an environment I can control, but so far this medication has helped me focus on things whilst in said environment. Hope you all keep safe”

Blondie · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2020

“I am on dose of 15 mg mirtazapine for PTSD and so far so good. I was previously prescribed escitalopram and sertraline and they were awful from the start. With Mirtazapine I've not had the extreme anxiety I had with the previous antidepressants, I've also not had the stomach problems either. I'm feeling chilled and sleep has been better. It is still early days but I'm optimistic. It won't work for everyone, so stay in contact with your Doctor.”

Greg · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

“A very abusive childhood left a form of PTSD and a resultant depression which has persisted throughout my 60 years. I have tried anti depressants a couple of times over the years but the negatives have out weighed the positives and I've always stopped taking them. I regularly wake with a feeling anxiousness and mirtazapine has definitely helped my sleep. I do have some blurry vision with it and do sometimes feel irritable. I only take half of a 15mg tablet which is enough and reduces side effects. Overall, it's the best thing I've tried. I just wish they would make them in smaller doses to be able to experiment with finding the absolute lowest level that helps.”

Dystopia · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2018

“Appalling medication! Health professionals wouldn’t take my side effects seriously! The moment I started taking Mirtazapine, I became agitated, aggressive, jumpy at the slightest sound or movement and really suicidal. I also couldn’t stop eating - like literally felt hungry CONSTANTLY! The medication made me so aggressive that I was nearly sectioned under the Mental Health Act. Health professionals told me that I was making it up to excuse my behaviours. My son was permanently removed from my care and I was misdiagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. Mirtazapine has completely ruined my life.”

Stephanie · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2020

“It's only been about 4 nights that I have been on mirtazapine . I have PTSD from childhood abuse and a sudden rash of deaths in the family. Had frequent, incredibly vivid nightmares that left me in a state of terror upon waking up in the last few years. The last 4 nights have been incredible. I fall asleep relatively quickly (under an hour) and sleep solidly. I have had only 1 nightmare and even in the nightmare I wasn't afraid.”

Do little December 24, 2020

“Trigger warning - bad experiences in life ahead I’ve been on mirtazapine for about a year now and I can say it’s certainly helped. I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder, borderline personality disorder, depression and generalised anxiety. At the most, mirtazapine has helped me feel calm and more stable as well as helping me sleep at night. Even though it helps you sleep it can can be a real pain with getting up in the morning but to me the pro’s outweigh the cons. I had put on a bit of weight whilst being on mirtazapine but being stable is completely worth it. I started on 15mg and had a couple of traumatic things happen in my life which lead the doctor to higher my dosage to 30mg which is working wonderfully. It’s a massive help to assist me in coping with everyday life but drugs affect everyone differently. It’s definitely worth a go but please remember things may get a tad worse over the 2-4 week period of when you first start taking it.”

Anonymous December 11, 2011

“Sleep well, eat well. It gave me the energy to do the things I used to do. I love it so far and my husband has noticed a great difference in attitude, for the better. I get pleasure from things today. I had lost faith in Doctors to help me. I feel Alive Again, not high just Normal!”

Anonymous November 12, 2011

“I have been on mirtazapine for almost 2 months now at 15mg for anxiety and PSTD. I take it before I go to bed because it does make me very drowsy. I get a good nights sleep with some crazy dreams but not anything bad. It has helped my depression well and I don't get as anxious when going certain places. Although, I do take half a pill for certain situations if I have to during the day. My appetite did increase greatly which was a benefit for me. Especially before bed, I can kill some donuts but I have been able to control it better now over some time. All in all it has worked well for me and I recommend it for others with the hope they experience the benefits I have. ”

Vinnie · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2019

“I am 3 weeks in taking 15mg of mirtazapine for PTSD. I am starting to feel a zombie like affect (dragging, drained and feeling paranoid and somewhat confused). The mirtazapine has helped some of my PTSD symptoms such as sleep and anxiety, with only 3 weeks in I know it is still early so I will be patient. The zombie feeling just concerns me because I’m a creative person and my creative juices aren’t flowing. Yesterday I was outside and everything didn’t feel real, like I was in a dream state. This is just some odd stuff but I’m hopeful!”

coxysmelons93 · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2015

“Made quite a difference quite fast to hypervigliance and anxiety symptoms. I am no longer as scared as I was sitting in my own house at night. It's no miracle, no medicine will ever take away the memories but this definitely improves functioning.”

Mr Coolio · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 17, 2012

“I have been taking 45 mg of mirtazapine for about 2 years. I stated taking it after I nearly got killed after a light truck hit me. I find it helps me out so much. All I do is focus on physical rehabilitation. I'm in a wheelchair at the moment but I will one day walk again. Maybe next year or in 10. Patience is a virtue. I stated off on 30 mg but my Doctor increased the dose. She could tell I was getting a bit low and my thoughts were dominating my personality. Of course she made the correct call. I find mirtazapine perfect for me. ”

J Ferrari · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 12, 2019

“I was diagnosed with severe PTSD a year and a half ago. Started on mirtazapine 15 mg which stopped my tremors, helped me get my appetite back and initially helped me sleep. Because I had additional complications of multiple benign tumours in my womb which were misdiagnosed as a stomach ulcer, I was prescribed lansoprosole and ranitidine together which gave me anorexia. My dose of mirtazapine was upped to 30g to combat the stress of this, but I feel like the other meds made it less effective. In the end, the lowest dose of mirtazapine 7.5g before bed was the most effective to helped me sleep, reset my body clock, regulated my appetite and generally made me feel better. It was also the dosage with the least brain fog. It takes some time to get used to as it dulls your emotions a little bit but I couldn't have recovered without it.”

Torii April 12, 2016

“When I first started taking Remeron it was for my PTSD and Depression (no help for anxiety). At 15mg it makes you the most drowsy and sometimes made me slightly nauseous- my psychiatrist told me most people have to up their dosage to feel relief of PTSD and to actually feel less tired, so I was slowly prescribed higher dosages and it provided a smooth transition for my body. I am currently on 45mg and I sleep great, with very vivid dreams, but I do not wake up drowsy nor do I have a change in appetite, and the best part is that I have a majority of my PTSD and Depression controlled! ( in the uk they go to 60+ mg of remeron but the U.S. is limited to prescribing 45mg! )”

Lee · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2019

“I've been on a lot of drugs and mirtazapine 3.75mg is the best sleep I've had in years. I feel like a new person after severe sleep deprivation. I no longer felt the need for Ambien XR, trazadone, or buspirone after taking this. I now take 30mg prazosin, 3.75mg mirtazapine, and 75mg effexor and sleep like a baby, feel refreshed for the first time in years”

jockney · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2017

“5 days after starting on Mirtazipine I felt as if my brain had shrunk in my skull and was surrounded in an ice cold fog and felt like I was in a black & white horror film. The doctor didn't believe me when I reported this and said I would not notice a change for 14 days and to expect to feel worse before I felt better, so I took them for 2 & 1/2 months in which I plummeted into the worst mental & physical state . I stopped taking them after I began to see 'ghosts' and put on a short course of Quetiapine.”

It works October 12, 2017

“I wrote on here Sept.13th and since then I gave gone back to doctor and she listened. She raised my dosage from 30mg to 45mg and I am feeling better again. It has given me my drive back again. Previously I have had no interested in many things including my health. Before being on this medicine I did not care about anything. Doctors would ask me questions and I would just answer but not care. Now I give them more information. I can't believe the difference this medicine has made. If nothing works for you try this and give it a couple of months to make a big difference. It is hard to wait so long but well worth it. I know everyone has different chemistry and for some it will not work. I hope you are as lucky as I am to have found it. It really works!”

Anna1238 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 30, 2015

“Mirtazapine is a great medication. It was my first antidepressant. I would say it's very mild compare to other antidepressants. The only problem was that I was eating too much, waking up at night to eat chocolate and I put on weight a lot! I think that I had restless legs syndrome too. Apart from that I was happy, no sexual dysfunction, great sleep. But after couple months I had panic attacks again. My body got used to it and my doctor increased the dose, even that couldn't help. I was on the highest dose...So I had to change my medication.”

Me · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2019

“Along with PTSD, I suffer depression but I got the mirtazapine for regulating my sleep. In this aspect, it has worked very well. The first night I took it, I slept walked & had very vivid dreams. Since then, I’ve just had really lucid/vivid dreams that seem to last whole timelines. I find them fun regardless of how it goes. I wake up feeling well rested. As it has just become spring, I’m not sure if the headaches & mild body discomfort are related to the medication or just weather changes and pollen. Nothing unmanageable.”

Bazzzzzzzz! · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2018

“I was given Sertraline initially and this made my condition worse. It wiped out my libido which caused me to feel even more hopeless. Couldn't sleep, sweats etc. But then mirtazapine in a 15mg dose changed things overnight. Fantastic sleeps with wonderful dreams. Oh and I got my mojo back! Yes I've put on weight but that's most probably due to my avoiding the gym. Although I have to say that food ... tastes and textures ... is so very appealing now.”

Chadwick85 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2015

“I was taking 15mg Mirtazapine for anxiety and PTSD before bed for two months. At first it helped with the anxiety and nightmares I was having. Within 30 minutes of taking it I was out. It was very difficult to get out of bed in the morning. The morning drowsy side effects only lasted about two weeks for me but then I started having twitches in my eyelids. I had never had a seizure before but have had 3 petit mal seizures since. After my third and extremely violent seizure I stoped use and have not used since. Seizures have also stoped along with the twitching in my face. If you you start to have and twitching in your face or eyelids I recomend consulting your dr. By the time I did it was almost too late. I also experienced memory loss.”

Anonymous June 2, 2015

“I was diagnosed with PTSD at first I was on 15mg of valium a day ( this kept me calm and clued on) , then my doctor put me on 15mg of Mirtazapine . I found it turned me into a moody, brain dead zombie the next day, even if I had it at 6pm at night I wouldn't be out of bed until at least 12pm the next day and I would still be tired. I ended up putting on heaps of weight, having worse mood swings and trouble falling alseep when I was on Mirtazapine. I have PTSD but I am NOT depressed, I tried to explain this to my Doctor but she didn't pay much attention, im wondering if that may have something to do with the way my body reacted. Personally I prefer 15 mg of valium, I'm calm and can still function 100%”

Bushman Jack September 6, 2018

“I've taken a half dozen other anti-depressants and this is the only one that stabalized my thoughts/actions. Prior to taking this I would easily fall into an uncontrollable rage, trash my entire house, then feel guilty for trashing my house. I couldn't go out in public, and would get in fights all the time. I used to smoke marijuana before bed, because it stops me from dreaming. The mitrazapine does the same thing without the dope side effects. I'm taking 30mg/night. I should warn you, the adjustment period to this drug was hard, so make sure you are somewhere safe until you feel your mood stabilize, which might take a week. On day 3 of taking this drug my symptoms were worse. On the morning of day 4 I felt like a changed person and haven't had a single thought of suicide/self harm since. If you take your pill at night and nap during the day, I will warn you that you're going to have nightmares during your nap, because I don't think the pill has that long of a half life.”

Learn more about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder