User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Major Depressive Disorder 28 reviews 46 medications

7.6
Depression 280 reviews 78 medications

7.5
Summary of Wellbutrin reviews 308 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Wellbutrin

For Depression "I took bupropion for about two weeks and I didnt like the side effects. I cant sleep and with kids its a big no!. Its been about 2 weeks since I stopped and I wish I didnt. I get anxiety attacks I want to cry!! And dizziness. I will visit my dr soon."

Anonymous July 23, 2016

For Depression "Back in Feb I had first started not sleeping well and by the end of that month major depression was in full effect. I tried numerous atypical antidepressants only getting major side effects. I was not inclined to use an SSRI since side effects seem to outweigh some of the positives they offer. Reluctant to give up on medication all together I was still not sleeping major battle with anxiety and insomnia. I decided to try Wellbutrin 150mg XL. Let me clearly explain the first 2 weeks were rough. No sleep think I slept 3 days or so. After the 3rd week I started to see more positive motivation and energy to get through the day. The energy is balanced now and the depressed thoughts and anxiety are in control. I'm just going to week 4... Onward"

Lostinamaze July 15, 2016

For Depression "Well after trying Paxil (worked really well but bad sexual side effects) for a couple years, then celexa worked but not as well as Paxil still sexual side effects recently on Prozac worked for depression however sexual side effects made me just not want to even bother. Got a script for Wellbutrin Xl 150mg brand name as I asked for non generic out of pocket cost 11.27 with insurance. Will report back and see how I do. Day one tomorrow. I put a rating of 5 just because of the unknown. Will rate when in full swing."

Macphisto July 12, 2016

For Depression "Over years have tried several antidepressants.....in my younger years Prozac, zoloft, Paxil, horrible side effects! Now that I am in my fifties I have been dealing with depression? Menopausal related,stress ,life.....tried natural Sam e and some others with no results but only side effects....Finally started Wellbutin and finally feeling black cloud lifting with No weird side effects....Hopefully continue and feel like my old self again:)"

Alicefay (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2016

For Depression "After the failure of 2 bupropion generics & the discontinued manufacturing of the one generic I *could* tolerate, I finally got on the one form of the name-brand Wellbutrin my insurance would cover. It made all the difference in the world. I feel better. My severe mood swings decreased as well as my angry outbursts. I don't mind the 3 pills a day (my generics had been SR); I actually prefer it as it seems the nighttime dose makes it easier to get up in the morning. I am dealing with some constipation, but I have MS and that is a side effect of many of my medications as well as my condition. I was happy and starting to get back on my feet again. BUT....Now they aren't going to make it any more. I have confirmation from GSK. So now what?"

MS Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Taking Wellbutrin 300XL for a while now. Previously used a SSRI which had little to no effect in that I would contemplate suicide nearly daily and had zero interest in life in general. Now I actually want to do things again, I am enjoying life and I have more energy. I can't say enough how well this drug has worked for me. Only side effect I've experienced is decreased appetite and I've lost a few pounds, which for me is a good thing."

Anonymous July 6, 2016

For Depression "I've been on Wellbutrin for about four weeks to ease my social anxiety issues. I have never taken anti-depressants before so I had no idea what to expect. I'm glad the first week is over because it was very euphoric, which I did not enjoy. I had to take a nap around 4:00 p.m. the first day. The second week was not euphoric at all and I feel back to my old self again. Gratitude all around."

HoloceneSoldier (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on Wellbutrin 75mg x 2 a day for a week. I have CFS and MDD, SAD, as well as mild OSA. My sleep doctor suggested Wellbutrin because of its stimulating effects after I asked about Provigil or Nuvigil for my extreme fatigue and depression. The first four days I felt like I drank 20 cups of coffee. Jittery, gnashing my teeth, tensed up muscles, hard time sleeping, while still depressed. Not a good combination. After four days the stimulant effect suddenly went away and was replaced by the worst sleepiness I've ever felt. An hour after taking the pills I practically fall asleep. Drowsy and sleepy all day to the point of not being able to function at my job. Not sure if I can continue Wellbutrin for much longer."

Iwantanewdrug (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2016

For Depression "I was given this medication at a low dose because I am in end stage copd. I have been experiencing auditory hallucinations and also very strange dreams and was not told about this by my doctor or pharmacist. I looked at the information given to me by the pharmacist and these adverse reactions were buried in little print at the very bottom. I feel that these side effects should be known right away. I thought I was losing my mind. I am going to stop taking this drug and if anyone asks me about it I will tell them to be very careful."

Legacy albatross (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2016

For Depression "I'm in my mid 30's and took wellburtrin for the last 6 weeks for depression & ADD. I was shaky since the beginning (although not as bad as I was in the beginning), the entire time I'd feel my legs would give out. I was always sleepy & lazy with a why bother attitude for everything. My mind would still wander but it would be blank. I started forgetting things I've always known like my zip code. It started affecting me at work. I called my doctor who said my symptoms weren't from the wellbutrin but the other meds I'm on. I stopped taking the wellbutrin yesterday, I already have more energy, I'm noticeably less shaky (my boss noticed), I'm more focused. I feel better than I have in a long time. Don't take wellbutrin it'll just mess you up."

Theredhead (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2016

For Depression "Shortly after my 20th birthday, I developed what I later found out was major depression. After starting counseling, I reluctantly started taking Wellbutrin and within a few days was a noticeably different person than I had been the past 6 months. I began to act like my old self again, gaining confidence, and for the most part being free from all of my depression episodes that had occurred daily. The biggest side effects that I experienced were weight loss/loss of appetite and trouble falling asleep at night, but after about two weeks those both went away. I've now been taking 300mg daily for about six weeks and feel great! I'd encourage you to give this medication a try, because it can potentially really change your life."

eliza1995 June 3, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was at age 50 severely depressed about my future because I had screwed my life up so bad. I was so full of fear and anxiety as well. I started addressing things in my life one at a time, and one of those things was finding a good psychologist. I chose to get on Wellbutrin, 300 day and like others felt it working by day two. Within three months it settled in and completely changed my life. I'm happy to wake up, I enjoy work, I take care of myself, people respond to me better. In not worried about the future. I like me again. It's been a miracle drug for me - all positive, no negative."

Namaste100 May 20, 2016

For Depression "Depression/anxiety. Tried various SSRIs, which gave me terrible night sweats and edginess. Wellbutrin gave me back my appetite for life. I wanted/was motivated to get uo, get out and do things rather than sit around. Also, because you can't/shouldn't drink while taking it, I secondarily lost weight and felt healthier - mentally and physically. Can't think of any negative side effects - takes a week or two to adjust/calibrate when starting."

SDH1974 May 14, 2016

For Depression "I got prescribed this because I was having major anxiety and felt like I was going to pass out. This is barely my second day on it and I don't know how I feel about this drug yet I feel a tad weird and feel off and feels like it helps with my anxiety kind of for a while but then I'll get major anxiety again. What should I do? What drug works best for anxiety/panic disorders. It sucks."

RogerLuk May 2, 2016

For Depression "Probably saved my life. This is the first antidepressant I tried as I was scared of some of the nasty side effects of the SSRIs (sexual, weight gain, tiredness). I was on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg for 1-2 months and then have been on 300mg XL for 3 months now. Getting on it was a little strange, as I had some side effects of anxiety at first, but actually have not had a panic attack since starting. Just know that it doesn't really help with anxiety/ocd symptoms (but I've been going to therapy for that). Really made me motivated to get work done (never been the case for me) without that craziness feeling from Adderall. Very consistently good mood and makes me want to be alive. Also increased sex drive + motivation for exercise is a plus."

hsoj1324 April 24, 2016

For Depression "I have been on 150XL and feel horrible. Its almost like I'm tripping on LSD. Foggy head, angry, cranky and very irritable. Heart palpitations and it makes me very lethargic. Dr recommended taking it at night and its a tiny bit better. I want to stick with it to see if it gets me to a better emotional state but don't know if I can last. How long before I start feeling better?"

scary lady (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have suffered depression and PTSD for a long time. I ate ativan like tictacs and tried many other anti-depressants (prozac, escitlaopram, etc. all of which had very negative effects on me and which I discontinued after trial periods). Last year was a significant year for me with huge outside stressors adding pressure. Long story short, doc put me on wellbutrin. I didn't notice anything at first, but I noticed after a couple weeks the black dog was going away and then I gradually became emotionally flatter and could go weeks without crying. Great stuff. I will be on it for life. Con: As another poster stated; bad and scary quick rebound depression when you quit (ran out and was away so could not renew scrip)."

AliveBecause (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2016

For Depression "I have been on Wellbutrin 150mg for 3 days now, doc said to up the dose to 300 mg after my first week, it has been hell to say the least. I have had terrible migraines, a very 'slumpled/sluggish' feeling, and I can't sleep!!! If anything, I feel worse! I just want this terrible phase to be over! *one thing positive I will add is that it has helped me with my weight tremendously - I have lost 10 pounds in 10 days. Loosing about a pound a day on this medication."

Jay Marie (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

For Depression "I have had depression for over two years and have tried three other antidepressants with little to no success before using Wellbutrin. I have taken Wellbutrin for several months and it is the only antidepressant I've used that has given me no side effects and a signficantly improved mood. I still don't feel as driven and passionate about things as I once was, but at least I have some of my motivation and energy back, which is an improvement from none whatsoever. It's no cure, but I have gradually been feeling so much more emotionally stable since starting this medication."

Star658 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2016

For Depression "I have had episodes of depression throughout my life. I have been on ssri meds off and on. They never seemed to help and side effects were horrible, Tired lack of energy sexual side effects increased anxiety. After my son was born I experienced the worst depression anxiety. After over 3yrs. I finally went to seek help and refused to take ssri meds. They first put me on buspar for anxiety which is a great alternative to other addictive meds. Then they added 150 mg. Welbutrin once in the morning. The first day I felt like I actually woke up for the first time in 3 years, had energy but after a week felt like it wore off too quick. I am being upped to 300my xl and hoping I'll get better results. Still best med I've ever tried!"

JanetLM April 9, 2016

For Depression "I have struggled with depression and anxiety for some time, now. I was initially worried that the stimulating effects would exacerbate my anxiety, and it did--but only temporarily. Wellbutrin XL 300mg has been the ONLY antidepressant that has worked. I take it in combination with Effexor XR 75mg. I was taken off Wellbutrin in an attempt to switch to Effexor only, but it became quickly apparent that Wellbutrin controlled most of the depressive symptoms. I stopped it for 2 months--both of which were awful. Within a week of resuming Wellbutrin, my depression began to lift. I still have bad days, of course, but the effects of Wellbutrin make me more energized and ready to take on the world."

anonymous1245 April 7, 2016

For Depression "My daughter suffered from depression and anxiety and had tried SSRIs. We thought this might help give her more energy and feel better since it affects dopamine. However, over the summer her anxiety got worse. At college her anxiety got even worse. She became paranoid and even started hearing voices. She ate very little and slept very little. She stopped going to classes and had suicidal thoughts. She called me and said she felt constantly "jittery," so I told her to get off the drug. Basically, it increased her energy and made her mood much worse. I don't recommend this for someone who suffers from anxiety since it affects norepinephrine - the fight or flight response."

Feeling Tired (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

For Depression "I started on wellbutrin about 8 months ago for clinical depression, and while it hasn't been a miracle cure, things could deffinitly be worse. It really has been a gentler medication in terms of side effects. The only medication I tried before this was lexapro, and geez was that rough (sexual side effects, extreme lethargy, brain fog, memory loss, weight gain etc). I switched to wellbutrin as an alternative, and experienced mellow side effects while adjusting (lethargy, drowsiness) which only lasted for about 3 weeks. Cons: Significant rebound depression if I miss a dose, insomnia if taken at night (it's a stimulant), occasional bouts of depression (it hasn't been a complete fix). Sometimes I'll get really bad brain fog if I mistime dose."

hmmmcan'tthinkofagoodnickname March 30, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I really did not intend to review wellbutrin...just curious what other people said...but so much "neg" I felt I had to speak. I've been on it for 29 YEARS! I had been seriously depressed for a few months..my therapist was a moron for waiting three months to send me to a Psych! I was told it would take at least 2 weeks to be really effective...for me it was day 17. I woke up and when I first looked in the mirror(gut check time) I didn't say to myself "wow I feel better" I said "omg is this what normal people feel like when they wake up in the morning?" For all practical purposes that was like my actual birthday...the day I became a fully functioning human. I'm lucky, it works and it keeps working."

Davidagain March 27, 2016

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on this medication for about 2 weeks now. I had some bad side-effects to the point where I had to stop taking this medication. I rate it a five because I feel like it had the potential to be a good medication - regardless of the side-effects I experienced."

Nvoug (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016