User Reviews for Wellbutrin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Depression
7.4

Major Depressive Disorder
7.3

Summary of Wellbutrin reviews 7.3 395 reviews

Reviews for Wellbutrin

For Depression "Every time my wife is prescribed this med she becomes aggressive and ignores facts. She stops interacting with me and seeks distance. This poison is ruining a 40 year marriage and destroying our family. When she stops taking it she slowly returns to her normally self but her Dr. convinces her she needs it and the cycle starts all over again. Bad drug for some."

Loving husband (taken for 10 years or more) November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Was put on this after I went to the psych ward for suicidal thoughts and general depression. Before this I was on Prozac for 3 weeks, stopped taking it due to increased anxiety and extreme binge eating that I never had before. After that my doc switched me to 20 mg Celexa. Took that on and off for over a year... it helped slightly with anxiety but quickly became as effective as taking sugar pills. I started on the generic SR, 2 a day and with that I had slight ringing in the ears, some random panicky feelings. But my mood had improved tremendously, plus my sex drive went way up after just 1 day! My appetite control is great. On 300 mg XL generic now and side effects are subsiding. Had worries about seizures but that's rare. 0.3% incidence."

Alexandrea Martelli (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "The first few days while taking Wellbutrin,which is not really recommended for anxiety but doc recommended giving it a try, were not too bad. Around week 2 I began to notice I was miserable, angry all the time, and just not feeling like myself! I am usually a happy person that laughs alot and enjoys making others laugh! Wellbutrin changed all that! I was now a bitter and angry person that found fault with everything! I wasn't sleeping well, had slight headaches everyday and my head felt cloudy and foggy all the time! I wasn't able to concentrate which made it difficult for me to function properly at work. I was no longer the happy,silly person I used to be! This drug totally changed my personality!"

Sqyrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "It seemed to work for me okay. Then suddenly my already thin hair started falling out by the handful."

RLMWA (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I couldn't tell much of a difference, but I didn't take it consistently."

SnowyDeux (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been taking wellbutrin 150 SR twice a day for 3 months now, I started with 150mg the first month and 300mg from the second month. It hasn't really helped me with depression like Prozac and Lexapro did. I told my doctor that I didn't want to gain weight like I did on those drugs so he prescribed me bupropion. I have more energy, I've lost weight, but the depression is still there."

Manol1234 November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I felt better on a lower dose of this drug. Once the "minimum effective dose" was reached, I felt really jittery and panicky. Once I did my gene testing, I saw that for Wellbutrin, if I take it at all, a lower dose is required."

roger_d_1989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on this med three seperate times over a few years on and off not a side effect that I took notice off? I am on 150mg and in Aust. Its called Zyban and for quitting smoking. I am on it as a help for bi-polar depression that just won’t leave me. The chemist told me that I could quit cold turkey that’s its make up is different to other anti-depressants and I did. I would not recommend that to anyone without their own medical advice. I had no effects. I went off Zyban as it just got to a stage where I didn’t notice benefits, but the specialist keeps convincing me to go back on it. That it is doing some good. And no side effects that I can tell. I’m on lithium, Ritalin, deralin and Zyban just stopped seroquel."

Koalamaiden (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was prescribed this drug treatment in the 1997-2000 years and it caused me to end up in the ER due to spontaneous unthinkable suicide attempt by taking an overdose dose of Amblify (15 tabs!) and as soon as I swallowed it I asked myself “what did I just do?!?!? Then I didn’t know what was going to happen!?! My friend called an ambulance and I ended up in ER !?!? When Doctor asked me why I did it-“ I told him that I didn’t know?!? I had no “ thoughts of suicide and I had no idea what I was doing and that I was not going to be a danger to myself because of that!?! I had to go to Outpatient Therapy for several weeks!"

NJersey (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "28 woman 140 lbs--150mg XL taken once in the morning. Before this I was getting near suicidal, couldn't get out of bed and hated myself for that. Sought a therapist who recommended besides therapy I should take something like Wellbutrin. My psych was irritated b/c I previously told her I didn't want Celexa (it never did anything even after months) but agreed to prescribe Wellbutrin. After a day or two when it kicked in, it was like NIGHT and DAY. Like a cloud had been lifted and I could see again, get out bed again. Don't get me wrong, I'm still sad about the state of the world and my life. But it's not crippling anymore; I can "get over it." I'm glad to keep experiencing. It seemed better year 1 than 2 but that might be the relief/other factors."

A Novice (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Although the medication worked well for the first few weeks, I began to notice my aggression becoming more pronounced and I got irritated much easier than normal. After two months, my doctor increased the dosage, even though I told her how I was feeling and acting. I decided to try it anyways to see if things got any better and got an answer within two days of the increase..... NO!! It made me extremely mean, short tempered, very aggressive, and extremely judgemental of others, all of which were NOT normal behaviors for me. I get the same results with Adderall for my adult ADHD and have decided to never touch either of these medications again..... EVER! It may work well for others, but is not for me."

CajunLady41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Sharing my experience on this medication because of how afraid I was to take it, in hopes that I can help someone in a similar situation. I have had diagnosed depression and anxiety for years and have tried all different medications to no avail until Lexapro which has helped the most with my depression, but never really touched my anxiety. The problem is that lately the Lexapro seemed to not be working as well despite dosage increases months back, and I had absolutely ZERO sex-drive, which was really affecting my relationship. I just started Wellbutrin (XR) and it has already proved life-changing in just a little over a WEEK. I feel SO much better. Way more motivation, energy & it's helped my anxiety which was unexpected! Good luck!"

Anxious/Depressed woman (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Amazing, it has absolutely changed my life, from the first day I started it. My smoking has decreased drastically. I am highly motivated to do everything I need to do in a day. I am thinking clear, I haven't had a single nap since taking it! A life changing pill for me!!"

Sarah padilla September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Best antidepressant I've ever taken bar none. I have been taking Wellbutrin for over 10 years and even though I've had the dosage adjusted over time, it has worked wonders. The reasons I like it is no weight gain, doesn't zap my energy, and helps me complete tasks. The only down side I have found is that it will keep me awake at night if I take it after 10am. I do take the generic version."

Nellie12345 (taken for 10 years or more) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've had major depression twice in my life. Each time I took wellbutrin in conjunction with talk therapy in order to feel well. I think the side effects you may feel may depend upon your own chemical makeup as I had no noticeable side effects at all and made complete recoveries. It's always said that any side effects will subside but if they're major ( ie intense stomach pain trying to take paxill ) you should switch to another medication. There are so many available you need not suffer. I can tell you from my experience that as hard as it might be you have to work at feeling better and never forget despite how you feel you will continually improve and will feel well. Write that down and look at it everyday so hope never fades."

Try Harder September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have Bipolar 2 & was on Wellbutrin for about 7 years. It dug me out of a deep depression in the beginning. It caused A LOT of anxiety but I didn't want to get off of it so Lexapro was added to my regiment. Lexapro helped with some of the anxiety caused by Wellbutrin but I'm pretty sure now that Wellbutrin has made me more susceptible to manic episodes. Recently, I started seeing a new psychiatrist & I was ready for a change. He convinced me to finally get off wellbutrin & I have never felt better. I feel so much more relaxed. I'm currently on Lamictal, Vyvanse, & Lexapro. I'm sure wellbutrin works well for others but it wasn't a great fit for BP for me personally. It dug me out of a big hole at one time so it works well with depression. Doesn't hurt to try it."

BP Chick August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I finally decided to deal with my inability to focus and concentrate on important daily activities. Although never medically diagnosed with any disorder I would describe myself as having ADD and it's led to not being able to stick with anything for extended because I would get bored, or easily distracted by other opportunities, or simply unable to complete anything fully. So you can imagine how all this would impact relationships, work, and just life in general. So far, it's been great. I now feel motivated to complete activities. I am more focused and able to suppress distractions and prioritize better. I think it's a good medication. May not work for all as I imagine each person is different. But it's definitely working for me."

TEEb (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Welbutrin ruined my life. I went from 220 lbs. down to barely 100. I cannot eat. I am literally rotting away. It enlarged my prostate and now I feel like I'm carrying around a grapefruit. It also increased my libido to the point of being completely frustrating."

StevenB2374 August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "This is for Anxiety/major depressive disorder and BPD. The side effects suck. Since I've been on Wellbutrin I've had severe dizzy spells and severe insomnia where I stay up all night and get 2-5 hours of sleep in the morning, on good days. My appetite is suppression is not as extreme as other medications I've been on but I have lost 5 pounds on it. I like eating so I don't like that. I had my first self harm episode and it had been over a year and it was over something insignificant that happens all the time. It gave me depression. I personally haven't experienced a good thing about this med but I'm giving it another month or two to work. I'm hopeful."

Gwenithhearts July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was prescribed Wellbutrin 2xday after Celexa stopped working after being on it 5 years. Within a few days of taking the Wellbutrin my anxiety was back and depression was worse. Had trouble staying asleep because my mind was constantly racing. Definitely did not work for me."

JC23 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on Wellbutrin for about three months now. It was prescribed to me by a psychiatrist due to depression and anxiety, low cognitive function and bad working memory. Wellbutrin started working on me around week 8. Mood lifted immensely, better executive function, lower anxiety, became much more goal oriented. Stopped delaying and procastinating everything, became interested in my hobbies again, felt clear headed, more energetic and general mental well being. Struggle with working memory a bit, still."

RhettV July 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This drug has saved my life! I have struggled with methamphetamine addiction for about 4 years now. The hardest part about quitting was the extreme depression and suicidal thoughts. They always caused me to relapse. My physician prescribed wellbutrin and it has worked like a miracle. I have been clean for over half a year and feel like I have my old life back! My relationships are healing and my family feels like they have their son/brother back. I am back in college and passing my classes! I don't attribute all that to the drug. Counseling and AA were extremely helpful but I know it was Wellbutrin that got me through the horrible depression to the other side. Only upfront side effects I had were jitteriness and dry mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "My depressive thoughts and ideation increased a lot within 2 weeks of starting. I called my Dr and tapered the dosage and they ordered extra small doses so my body would not be shocked. If you feel like you are having increased depression daily after starting this medication please contact your medical team and ask to taper off."

Vanilla mermaid (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was diagnosed with depression and panic disorder in 2013. The first medication I was prescribed was Zoloft, which turned me into a zombie. My doctor then switched me to Effexor, which had way too many side effects from mood and all the way to affecting my vision. I was then switched to Lexapro, which was great and masking the depression but made me gain 30+ pounds in less than a year and literally have zero motivation. 3 months ago, my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and it's made the biggest difference in my life. In the first couple of weeks my anxiety was a lot worse but that went away entirely and I haven't had any other side effects. My energy is back and I genuinely look forward to the next day."

JX June 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Started today lets see if it works. I have taken several different depression medicines since 2007. So I will rate this drug weekly."

Tinaos June 17, 2017