User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Wellbutrin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"Wellbutrin almost killed me and I now have Grand Mal Seizures and have been diagnosed with Epilepsy that I will have for the rest of my life. I seriously think this drug should be pulled from the shelves. I know 2 people who tried to commit suicide while taking this medication. Wellbutrin has ruined my life and I would never suggest this medication to anyone."

Platinum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2018

"I've been on multiple SSRI's and was convinced that antidepressants just didn't work. My doctor insisted that I try something else, because my anxiety was dictating every aspect of my life. I'm so glad that she did. After about 2 weeks on Wellbutrin, I began to realize that I felt really happy for the first time in over 2 decades. The only side-effect I've really had is occasional mild irritability. It lasts for about a half hour and happens once every week or two. Though as I've been on the medication longer, the side effects are less severe. I know this medication isn't for everyone, but whatever was wrong with me, Wellbutrin fixed it. If you're struggling with anxiety or depression, be honest with your doctor. If your medication isn't helping you, tell your doctor. If your doctor won't help you, find a new doctor. You can do this, and you deserve to be happy."

Topsy June 29, 2018

"Wellbutrin helped me quit smoking after 35yrs of 1 pack a day!! It also was significant with reducing my major depressive disorder. Excellent medication!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2018

"I was prescribed wellbutrin after being hospitalized in April of 2017. When I got there, that's the first medicine they gave me to try. The only difference I noticed was that I was having more trouble sleeping than I normally had without the medicine. I had no faith in this working for me because they told me they wanted me to stop smoking as I was 17 at the time (I turned 18 in May, it's the end of March 2018 right now, I'm almost 19 atm) and wellbutrin makes smoking taste horrible, so it's definitely effective for smoking cessation. As far as depression, I'd say it helped for a little while but soon I needed a higher dosage and then after a little bit, my suicidal thoughts were back so I quit taking them. Overall, it wasn't very effective in my case."

crystalmethothelioma (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2018

"I have been on this medication for less than a month and I am staying angry and my blood pressure has gone up and it doesn't seem to come down. I was on citalopram but wanted to see if I could use Wellbutrin to lose some weight but I will deal with the weight in exchange for a calm mind and getting along with everybody. I can't get back to the Dr. fast enough."

karon (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

"Wellbutrin is an excellent medication. I take 1/2 of a 75 mg tablet in the morning after breakfast and at 14:00. I also take 10 mg of Lexapro at 16:00. Lexapro, on its own, was providing me relief from my major depression and occasional panic attacks. However, there were some days when I felt that it was not helping. Additionally, I often felt very lethargic by the afternoon and had occasional brain fog. My psychiatrist suggesting that I complement Lexapro with Wellbutrin explaining that it is an SSRI with mild stimulating effects and does not carry the risk of weight gain. I am a slim man, so weight gain is easily noticeable for me. The combination of Lexapro and Wellbutrin has been wonderful! My depression and panic attacks are very much under control; however, there are a few manifestations throughout the year during hectic periods. I have energy throughout the day, and I am very much happier with the quality of my well-being and life."

AM (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2018

"Been on wellbutrin 450mg no weight gain and busPIRone 60mg, I've been taking it about 6+ years. The doc want me to take another depression and anxiety pill, plus welbutrin & busPIRone. I've tried other meds & gained weight. So is there anything out there? Had a weight problem other pills, after gaining 10lbs in 2 weeks, I thrown them away, Won't make me gain weight. Please let me know."

bbblondie_1965y (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 7, 2018

"I've only been taking it a week. I went up to 300 mg on the fourth day to help me quit smoking but I will also continue the medicine for my depression. So far, after the first day of taking this medication I've noticed I will not sleep more then 9 hours which, I could easily sleep 12 hours. When I smoke a cigarette after the first day, first couple days 1-6 so far, I do not feel any effects of the cigarette its like, I'm just filling up my lungs with smoke and not being ''rewarded'' mentally... but the craving was still slightly there. I also see people saying this medication is making them angry ... I don't know, I roll my eyes at that but everyones different."

JayC27 January 5, 2018

"I want to start by saying that drugs have different effects on everyone so not every experience is the same. This medication has changed my life. After trying 7 different anti-depressants, then stopping, then trying again I have finally found one that works. One of my biggest problems was an inability to focus on anything and I am finally clear-minded and able to focus. I still have some problems with mood regulation but it is SO much better than before. I had some pretty bad side effects getting on Wellbutrin (but did with every drug I tried) -- extreme dizziness, nausea, vomiting and bad headaches. Side effects wore off after a week but I still get bad headaches with this med (worth it). Definitely a drug to discuss with your doctor."

Ellie111 January 4, 2018

"Was put on this after I went to the psych ward for suicidal thoughts and general depression. Before this I was on Prozac for 3 weeks, stopped taking it due to increased anxiety and extreme binge eating that I never had before. After that my doc switched me to 20 mg Celexa. Took that on and off for over a year... it helped slightly with anxiety but quickly became as effective as taking sugar pills. I started on the generic SR, 2 a day and with that I had slight ringing in the ears, some random panicky feelings. But my mood had improved tremendously, plus my sex drive went way up after just 1 day! My appetite control is great. On 300 mg XL generic now and side effects are subsiding. Had worries about seizures but that's rare. 0.3% incidence."

Alexandrea Martelli (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

"I have been on this med three seperate times over a few years on and off not a side effect that I took notice off? I am on 150mg and in Aust. Its called Zyban and for quitting smoking. I am on it as a help for bi-polar depression that just won’t leave me. The chemist told me that I could quit cold turkey that’s its make up is different to other anti-depressants and I did. I would not recommend that to anyone without their own medical advice. I had no effects. I went off Zyban as it just got to a stage where I didn’t notice benefits, but the specialist keeps convincing me to go back on it. That it is doing some good. And no side effects that I can tell. I’m on lithium, Ritalin, deralin and Zyban just stopped seroquel."

Koalamaiden (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2017

"I was prescribed this drug treatment in the 1997-2000 years and it caused me to end up in the ER due to spontaneous unthinkable suicide attempt by taking an overdose dose of Amblify (15 tabs!) and as soon as I swallowed it I asked myself “what did I just do?!?!? Then I didn’t know what was going to happen!?! My friend called an ambulance and I ended up in ER !?!? When Doctor asked me why I did it-“ I told him that I didn’t know?!? I had no “ thoughts of suicide and I had no idea what I was doing and that I was not going to be a danger to myself because of that!?! I had to go to Outpatient Therapy for several weeks!"

NJersey (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2017

"Welbutrin ruined my life. I went from 220 lbs. down to barely 100. I cannot eat. I am literally rotting away. It enlarged my prostate and now I feel like I'm carrying around a grapefruit. It also increased my libido to the point of being completely frustrating."

StevenB2374 August 10, 2017

"This is for Anxiety/major depressive disorder and BPD. The side effects suck. Since I've been on Wellbutrin I've had severe dizzy spells and severe insomnia where I stay up all night and get 2-5 hours of sleep in the morning, on good days. My appetite is suppression is not as extreme as other medications I've been on but I have lost 5 pounds on it. I like eating so I don't like that. I had my first self harm episode and it had been over a year and it was over something insignificant that happens all the time. It gave me depression. I personally haven't experienced a good thing about this med but I'm giving it another month or two to work. I'm hopeful."

Gwenithhearts July 30, 2017

"I was prescribed Wellbutrin 2xday after Celexa stopped working after being on it 5 years. Within a few days of taking the Wellbutrin my anxiety was back and depression was worse. Had trouble staying asleep because my mind was constantly racing. Definitely did not work for me."

JC23 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

"I've been on Wellbutrin for about three months now. It was prescribed to me by a psychiatrist due to depression and anxiety, low cognitive function and bad working memory. Wellbutrin started working on me around week 8. Mood lifted immensely, better executive function, lower anxiety, became much more goal oriented. Stopped delaying and procastinating everything, became interested in my hobbies again, felt clear headed, more energetic and general mental well being. Struggle with working memory a bit, still."

RhettV July 6, 2017

"I was diagnosed with depression and panic disorder in 2013. The first medication I was prescribed was Zoloft, which turned me into a zombie. My doctor then switched me to Effexor, which had way too many side effects from mood and all the way to affecting my vision. I was then switched to Lexapro, which was great and masking the depression but made me gain 30+ pounds in less than a year and literally have zero motivation. 3 months ago, my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and it's made the biggest difference in my life. In the first couple of weeks my anxiety was a lot worse but that went away entirely and I haven't had any other side effects. My energy is back and I genuinely look forward to the next day."

JX June 22, 2017

"I take this drug to help combat Major Depression (had for 1.5 years). I have also tried Paxil (made me crazier), Prozac (did nothing for me) and Effexor (worked well but the sexual side effects were worse than the depression). I started Wellbutrin at 150mg and slowly increased to 300mg by after completely titrating off Effexor, had to increase to 450 because MD came back. SO, here is the deal - at first this drug feels awful (realize that most anti's are like this in the beginning). I had to stick with it for at least a month and the extreme anxiety has always normalized. But OMG - this is the first drug that motivates me to get out of bed and face each day. for me it helps to balance my down mood & 'urge to isolate' and sabotage my day."

StickwithIt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2017

"Tabitha57.... What brand of 150 SR did you take... Mylan, sandoz or Brand name Wellbutrin?"

Rinmoe (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2017

"Started on this med low and slow as I am sensitive to medicine. Had to increase up and no relief. Increased 3 times and still no relief. Did not do much for me but give it a chance. I took it for over six months. Many others report excellent results with it"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2016

"I started taking Wellbutrin (150mg) during an extreme depressive episode. It helped even me out a lot, though it didn't address all of my symptoms. I increased the dose to 300mg but had to drop back down because I was having trouble sleeping. This is the only side effect I've experienced while on this medication. I've been on it for a year and a half now and overall it has helped a lot. I'm still depressed but I'm no where near as bad as before taking Wellbutrin. I'm looking into adding an SSRI or something as an adjunct therapy to try to make things even better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2016

"I've been prescribed several anti-depressants throughout the years, many being SSRI's and they've had little to no effect, or even the opposite effect but this medication works so well I can't even believe it. I'm so happy I was prescribed this medication for depression. I have been on it for 3 years now and my life is changed dramatically. I suffer from major depressive disorder and SAD."

raven_is December 17, 2016

"This medicine has improved my depression dramatically. I feel calm, am able to focus and get things done, but not with the manic rush of another medicine I used to take. Hopefully will help me lose weight over time."

Mid30sgal (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

"I have been taking this medication for about 2 weeks now.. I got prescribed it in the hospital after a fallout. I tried prozac while in high school and had no luck with it. Then was prescribed Zoloft a few months ago and obviously didn't work.. considering landing myself in the hospital. Now trying Wellbutrin. Even though I have just started it I'd say that I do see some positive effects in it. I have more motivation and trying to do better for myself. But, I do have some side effects including really bad headaches, ringing in ears, insomnia, dizziness at times with nausea. I also have noticed taking Excedrin to suppress the headaches doesn't help, but make my anxiety increase. Don't take a dose late either as that just increases mood swing"

Cmarie1 December 3, 2016

"Was started on Wellbutrin 150mg for one month. Made me sleep and eat less but did nothing for my depression so my doctor increased it to 300mg. Within 3 to 4 days of the increase, I was having panic attacks and couldn't stop crying. Depression kicked into overdrive immediately."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2016