User Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Wellbutrin has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 107 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 54% of those users who reviewed Wellbutrin reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Wellbutrin Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Wellbutrin

dprsdNanxty April 21, 2021

“I’ve suffered from pretty severe major depressive disorder & anxiety since I can remember, diagnosed since I was 18 (now 25). Tried prozac, zoloft, effexor, lexapro, & none really helped me escape the deep hurt I felt 24/7. About 16 months ago I started taking this drug, building up to 300mgXL over a 2 week timespan. That was a pretty horrific time if I’m being honest - manic, crawling out of my own skin, couldn’t sleep at all. But then my doctor added 100mg of serequel at night for my sleep. Over the next 3 months I felt myself lift out of the darkness a little. She also added an anti-anxiety (klonopin). Wellbutrin didn’t solve my depression, but it definitely did help save my life. If you’re just trying it out for the first time, try to get past the bad side effects in the beginning if you can, It’s been worth it for me anyways. Long term side effects have been anxiety, reduced appetite, memory loss, restlessness, nausea & some confusion/disorientation.”

Sta · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2021

“I started taking this medication both for my depression as well as for weight loss. I also take Paxil. For the positives, I have noticed increased motivation, increased libido, and decreased appetite. I haven't lost much weight yet but I have PCOS so I know that's going to take time. As for side effects, I sometimes experience drowsiness within an hour or two of each SR dose. I also notice that I become very cold sensitive and need to bundle up to stay warm, but this goes away as each dose wears off. I have occasional premature heartbeats and they seem to be happening more often on Wellbutrin. I've also noticed my dreams are more vivid.”

Snorewind · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2021

“I have my life back. I'm with 300 mg Wellbutrin and 20 mg Prozac. Highly , Recommended ...love you all”

alive13 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 20, 2021

“Like others on this site, I have tried so many antidepressants. SSRIs take away any sexual feeling for me, and I tend to put on weight and not have the best self image with them. Buproprion is the only medication that really allows me to FEEL my feelings, and talk more easily in social settings. After your adjust (some insomnia for a few weeks) it actually helped me to sleep better. It took me a few times of trying this medication to really get it to work for me. It helped with my anxiety rather than making it worse, but depression was my biggest problem, hopelessness, fatigue etc. This medication makes jokes funny, trees prettier and makes me feel emotionally stronger. Remember that it takes courage and patience to get help and to stick with it until it works. God bless.”

Andi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 31, 2020

“GIVE THIS MEDICATION WELLBUTRIN A FIGHTING CHANCE I almost quit a month in, but I am SO glad I didn’t and toughed out the negative side effects. When I started I felt dazed and sedated, but wired and jittery at the same time. My insomnia was horrible. Other side effects I experienced included tinnitus, horrible anxiety, hand tremors, heart palpitations, and a really short temper. I desired nothing, but had the energy to do everything - weird combo. OKAY, now for the GOOD, and things I think people should know before giving up this medication - the side effects last a LONG time (two and a half months for me), but they DO all go away. I was now able to get up early to workout, got into cooking, lost weight, and felt hopeful about life. Sex also got WAY better now that I could stop living in my head, which was a huge plus. For the first time in a long time I can really say I feel happy. So give it time!”

F/21 June 14, 2020

“This drug Wellbutrin has been life changing for me. After trying SSRIs and SNRIs that didn’t work, it did the trick. Yes, it sucks at first; the side effects are horrible but you have to give it time. And on these meds at first, I got the head zaps, anxiety like I had never felt before, heart palpitations, lack of appetite and weight loss, headaches, nausea, severe insomnia- the whole nine yards. But after about 5 months on 300 mg, I turned a corner and feel better than ever. I can focus, I’m not tired but can sleep if I need to, my anxiety largely went away, I’m happy and can orgasm too. All the side effects pretty much subsided, save for the appetite one... I still don’t have to eat if I don’t want to but I’m not repulsed by the idea of food anymore. So seriously, it isn’t a conventional drug and it’s bad initially but PLEASE stick with it. Don’t expect it to work overnight... these things take time. I promise you will get results. You got this. Hang in there!”

Salim April 26, 2020

“Wellbutrin was amazing to me I was on it for depression, but I stopped smoking after I used to smoke a lot a day. It gave me enormous energy and improved my depression a lot. I am thankful to the scientists who developed this drug. Don't let the negative reviews scare you. Try it and you will not regret it”

ASDFG · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 22, 2020

“This Wellbutrin is the only antidepressant I can tolerate. It seems to be one of the more stimulating ones, which I need because of my hypothyroidism. I can't handle a high dose so have stuck with 100-150mg 1x a day for over 5 years and I don't usually feel depressed. If I miss a dose I feel a little down and lethargic. I've smoked on and off for 20+ years and I can't say it helps me in that area--at least not at the dose I'm taking. I've been told I am wired differently than most (O-) and so far this is the only mostly effective antidepressant I have ever taken without side effects.”

Joy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2020

“I’m 39 female that was prescribed Wellbutrin/Bupropion without a psych evaluation and soon as I started taking it... I began having dreams and sexual desires. I continued thinking things would change but they got worse. Weeks later I began to hallucinate and even forgot where I parked my car after going shopping one day and ended up calling police and reported it stolen when it wasn’t. I also started seeing things that weren’t there and having really dark thoughts. This drug took over my life and caused me to make irrational decisions like up and moving 1200 miles across country for no apparent reason whatsoever. A situation I regret! I got a second opinion and was taken off of wellbutrin immediately and given a psych evaluation. I was given prozac and trazadone but no longer take them. I just got a puppy, I changed my diet and lifestyle and learned coping mechanisms. I will never take another pill if I can help it.”

Vice February 13, 2020

“Wellbutrin has changed my life ! I was such a terrible and irrational and very depressed person before this medication. My partner and I was always arguing at mostly the fault of my own. I had such a hard time getting out of bed and taking on the day. I would absolutely need a mid afternoon four hour nap to get me through. Wellbutrin has given me so much mental clarity. It has saved my relationship. And it’s allowed me to go through my days feeling “normal”. The only downfall is it gives me a very dry mouth which is not good for my overall oral health but I have found some toothpaste and mouthwash that help a little. It’s worth it for the clear mind.”

Birdsaregreat · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 6, 2020

“I’ve been on Wellbutrin xl with my dosage varying from 300-450. This is the best antidepressant I have every tried and I have tried many. Whenever I increase my dosage I do experience side effects for a little while. Mostly I’m more easily annoyed and fidgity. They always go away over time. This is the only medication that has been able to increase my energy levels and sex drive. I also have GAD, have had psychotic depression in the past, and panic attacks in the past. This drug doesn’t exacerbate any of those problems for me. I’m also on Seroquel though so that probably helps with my sleep. Many antidepressants have given me terrible headaches but this one does not. I get migraines a few time’s a year, same as before. If you’ve found that other antidepressants don’t work for you I highly recommend this one. Almost no side effects and definitely gives me the energy I need.”

Becker10 · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

“Hardly any side effects. Had a little nausea for the first few nights but that’s all. I’ve noticed a HUGE difference in my anxiety and depression. I’m better at work. I don’t get worked up when I’m overloaded with work. I take 150mg XL at 8:30am and there’s no weird coming down feeling at night. It’s a beautiful medication. I couldn’t stop watching TV and now I can turn it off and do dishes, laundry, take my dog on a hike. I don’t have that gut-wrenching anxiety knot in my stomach anymore.”

Mike F. January 22, 2020

“Stopped taking Suboxone for opiate addiction and Wellbutrin saved my life. Only thing I use that I should’ve looked into years ago for my depression, anxiety , and slight ADHD! Highly recommend it to opiate users coming off blockers or meds. Side effects; insomnia for first week, and dry mouth. Otherwise, I’m a big placebo guy but I noticed instant change in mood (for the better)!”

J · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2020

“Wellbutrin worked for me, was actually pretty much a lifesaver. Tried Zoloft and buspar and effexor, all didn't work too well. However this med does have side effects like increase anxiety, but apart from that I haven't experienced much else. It calms me down and makes me feel like the old me when I was a kid. Confident and happy.”

sunnyrayod · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 19, 2020

“I have suffered from MDD for the majority of my life. I struggled for 5 years and through 16 different meds till we landed on Wellbutrin. One of the selling points for me is that this particular anti-depressant is well known for not causing weight gain. And I can attest to that! On top of it not causing ANY side effects whatsoever, I started to feel better emotionally/physically within 2 weeks of being on Wellbutrin (Bupropion). I take two 150mg a day in the morning with my breakfast. I will say it did NOT help my anxiety even one single ounce, however with how much it has done for my depression, I will happily take a second medication for my anxiety. I have more energy, it gives me a huge boost in my mood, and that hasn’t changed! I haven’t had to switch or change meds and I have been on it for just over a year now. Thank goodness for this medication, seriously, a drastic difference, I finally get to be finally me!”

Davidagain March 27, 2016

“I really did not intend to review wellbutrin...just curious what other people said...but so much "neg" I felt I had to speak. I've been on it for 29 YEARS! I had been seriously depressed for a few months..my therapist was a moron for waiting three months to send me to a Psych! I was told it would take at least 2 weeks to be really effective...for me it was day 17. I woke up and when I first looked in the mirror(gut check time) I didn't say to myself "wow I feel better" I said "omg is this what normal people feel like when they wake up in the morning?" For all practical purposes that was like my actual birthday...the day I became a fully functioning human. I'm lucky, it works and it keeps working.”

Monica · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2019

“Wellbutrin has been amazing. I have anxiety, depression, ADHD & PTSD. It was hard getting used to this one as it amped me up a lot. Take with food as early as possible. The constipation and anxiety did subside. Now I can’t believe I’ve allowed myself to be so sad when this stuff even makes air blowing on my face feel incredible. Here’s what I found - after trying everything SSRI wise, if you have bad side effects right away, it’s not the right drug. Taking this Wellbutrin, I knew right away, was totally different. I did need Xanax to be a crutch with this at first because of the anxiety...but I was also tapering off gabapentin at the time so who knows why I was that anxious. So this is how “normal” people feel w/o depression...interesting. Lucky.”

Niki9Door · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 27, 2014

“I have Major Depressive Disoder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I've taken Zoloft, Paxil, Citalopram. I'm currently taking Wellbutrin 300XL, Cipralex 25mg. Cipralex only got me out of suicidal thoughts, but Wellbutrin healed my brain. When my psychiatrist first prescribed it to me, I couldn't afford it so I didn't fill my prescription. When she found out, she gave me some samples. Within a week I got motivation. I had forgotten how it felt to want to do things. My thoughts were more cheerful. I was able to laugh and joke. My PTSD paranoia went down. I began walking, quit smoking, went back to work, traveled, and met the love of my life. It made Me me again! I'm still taking it and will for as long as my brain needs it.”

Anne · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2020

“I started Wellbutrin after taking Zoloft for about 6 months but had to stop because I gained 30 lbs in 3 months and was retaining water like crazy. Wellbutrin definitely stopped the water retention and I’ve lost about 6 pounds since starting it about a month ago. Unfortunately I have to stop taking this one too. I was hoping this would be the one— I’ve been back and forth on a lot of meds but nothing has worked. I felt severely angry and would lash out. I’ve never been that way. I am convinced this medication has caused me to have anger problems when I never had them before. Coming off the medication hasn’t been great, super emotional, tired, lots of headaches and irritability but after day 12 I’m finally feeling better.”

RhettV July 6, 2017

“I've been on Wellbutrin for about three months now. It was prescribed to me by a psychiatrist due to depression and anxiety, low cognitive function and bad working memory. Wellbutrin started working on me around week 8. Mood lifted immensely, better executive function, lower anxiety, became much more goal oriented. Stopped delaying and procastinating everything, became interested in my hobbies again, felt clear headed, more energetic and general mental well being. Struggle with working memory a bit, still.”

Topsy June 29, 2018

“I've been on multiple SSRI's and was convinced that antidepressants just didn't work. My doctor insisted that I try something else, because my anxiety was dictating every aspect of my life. I'm so glad that she did. After about 2 weeks on Wellbutrin, I began to realize that I felt really happy for the first time in over 2 decades. The only side-effect I've really had is occasional mild irritability. It lasts for about a half hour and happens once every week or two. Though as I've been on the medication longer, the side effects are less severe. I know this medication isn't for everyone, but whatever was wrong with me, Wellbutrin fixed it. If you're struggling with anxiety or depression, be honest with your doctor. If your medication isn't helping you, tell your doctor. If your doctor won't help you, find a new doctor. You can do this, and you deserve to be happy.”

TDS · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2019

“I had been on Prozac for a year to battle some severe depression and crying daily. It worked well for the first couple of months, but then I noticed it made me feel just "blah" and negative. I couldn't get emotional either way... angry or sad. I also didn't want to do anything and gained 25 pounds, plus horrible sexual side effects. I got sick of it finally and asked my doctor for something different. He started introduce 150mg of Wellbutrin for 2 weeks while I reduced the Prozac. The Wellbutrin started working after about a week. My mood was a lot better and had more emotions. I also feel more motivated to eat right, workout, and improve my appearance. I'm now on one 10mg Prozac in the morning and 2 separate doses of Wellbutrin (300mg total). In about a week, I'll drop Prozac and see how it goes. I've only had a slight headache sometimes and a little trouble sleeping, but overall, no side effects with Wellbutrin. Very happy so far.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 16, 2020

“I have suffered a lot from MDD and Panic Disorder. My primary doctor prescribed Wellbutrin for me, and it did absolute wonders for my depression, BUT my panic went up by tons. I had panic attacks for no reason, every single day. I was later added to another SNRI along with a decreased dose of the Wellbutrin. After that, my anxiety became much more manageable. If you suffer from anxiety as well as depression, please talk to your doctor/psychiatrist about taking Wellbutrin with another medication.”

ctroullis · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2020

“After 1 week of taking Wellbutrin I developed severe intrusive tinnitus. I have been off the drug for almost a year and it has not faded at all. While obviously this side effect doesn't happen to everyone who takes Wellbutrin, it is frighteningly common. All of the doctors I've seen since then (psychs, ENTs, etc.) weren't surprised at all when I told them my tinnitus was from Wellbutrin. It has absolutely destroyed what was left of my life. I already had depression, anxiety, and insomnia, now all of these are 100x worse plus suicidal thoughts. Again, I don't want to say "don't take this drug" because all drugs have side effects and I was one of the unlucky ones. But I would highly suggest something else as I would not wish this on my worst enemy.”

StickwithIt · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 14, 2017

“I take this drug to help combat Major Depression (had for 1.5 years). I have also tried Paxil (made me crazier), Prozac (did nothing for me) and Effexor (worked well but the sexual side effects were worse than the depression). I started Wellbutrin at 150mg and slowly increased to 300mg by after completely titrating off Effexor, had to increase to 450 because MD came back. SO, here is the deal - at first this drug feels awful (realize that most anti's are like this in the beginning). I had to stick with it for at least a month and the extreme anxiety has always normalized. But OMG - this is the first drug that motivates me to get out of bed and face each day. for me it helps to balance my down mood & 'urge to isolate' and sabotage my day.”

JX June 22, 2017

“I was diagnosed with depression and panic disorder in 2013. The first medication I was prescribed was Zoloft, which turned me into a zombie. My doctor then switched me to Effexor, which had way too many side effects from mood and all the way to affecting my vision. I was then switched to Lexapro, which was great and masking the depression but made me gain 30+ pounds in less than a year and literally have zero motivation. 3 months ago, my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and it's made the biggest difference in my life. In the first couple of weeks my anxiety was a lot worse but that went away entirely and I haven't had any other side effects. My energy is back and I genuinely look forward to the next day.”

Tacoburgermanwoman · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2019

“I started this a month ago, first it made me very hostile but after a few days I evened out, I am taking it having bulimia and anorexia alternating as well as major depressive disorder It has actually helped me control my eating and almost fully stopped the binge purge cycle. However it does have it's drawbacks, I have a fast heart rate not really fast but noticeable, less suicidal thoughts but when they do come they are stronger impulses and the urge to self harm has been lowered but I still have moments I lose control but it has definitely helped me a lot and I choose the side effects over wanting to commit suicide constantly. This has saved my life 100% for sure because before I had planned to end my life but this made me reconsider it and I want to live.”

Weiner123 September 11, 2014

“I feel great and it has been only 3 days. I have battled with Major Depressive Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder starting treatment in 2006. When I came back to States I was in 4 hospitals for months treated by the best on 7-10 different medications at different times. I had ECT etc. For me all the medications did not do a thing for me but get suicidal thoughts and gained 60 pounds. One antidepressant medicine I was on for a few years was Lexapro. I was in Aruba and wanted to die. Through much thought and discussion, I weaned off of all the antidepressants. After 8 years just last week a Doctor said I never have been on Wellbutrin and put me on it. I have for the last few months been really down and out. Immediately I feel better. Took only 8 years. And wasted time in Hospital & ECT.”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder