User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"I was prescribed this drug treatment in the 1997-2000 years and it caused me to end up in the ER due to spontaneous unthinkable suicide attempt by taking an overdose dose of Amblify (15 tabs!) and as soon as I swallowed it I asked myself “what did I just do?!?!? Then I didn’t know what was going to happen!?! My friend called an ambulance and I ended up in ER !?!? When Doctor asked me why I did it-“ I told him that I didn’t know?!? I had no “ thoughts of suicide and I had no idea what I was doing and that I was not going to be a danger to myself because of that!?! I had to go to Outpatient Therapy for several weeks!"

NJersey (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Welbutrin ruined my life. I went from 220 lbs. down to barely 100. I cannot eat. I am literally rotting away. It enlarged my prostate and now I feel like I'm carrying around a grapefruit. It also increased my libido to the point of being completely frustrating."

StevenB2374 August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is for Anxiety/major depressive disorder and BPD. The side effects suck. Since I've been on Wellbutrin I've had severe dizzy spells and severe insomnia where I stay up all night and get 2-5 hours of sleep in the morning, on good days. My appetite is suppression is not as extreme as other medications I've been on but I have lost 5 pounds on it. I like eating so I don't like that. I had my first self harm episode and it had been over a year and it was over something insignificant that happens all the time. It gave me depression. I personally haven't experienced a good thing about this med but I'm giving it another month or two to work. I'm hopeful."

Gwenithhearts July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Wellbutrin 2xday after Celexa stopped working after being on it 5 years. Within a few days of taking the Wellbutrin my anxiety was back and depression was worse. Had trouble staying asleep because my mind was constantly racing. Definitely did not work for me."

JC23 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Wellbutrin for about three months now. It was prescribed to me by a psychiatrist due to depression and anxiety, low cognitive function and bad working memory. Wellbutrin started working on me around week 8. Mood lifted immensely, better executive function, lower anxiety, became much more goal oriented. Stopped delaying and procastinating everything, became interested in my hobbies again, felt clear headed, more energetic and general mental well being. Struggle with working memory a bit, still."

RhettV July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with depression and panic disorder in 2013. The first medication I was prescribed was Zoloft, which turned me into a zombie. My doctor then switched me to Effexor, which had way too many side effects from mood and all the way to affecting my vision. I was then switched to Lexapro, which was great and masking the depression but made me gain 30+ pounds in less than a year and literally have zero motivation. 3 months ago, my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and it's made the biggest difference in my life. In the first couple of weeks my anxiety was a lot worse but that went away entirely and I haven't had any other side effects. My energy is back and I genuinely look forward to the next day."

JX June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take this drug to help combat Major Depression (had for 1.5 years). I have also tried Paxil (made me crazier), Prozac (did nothing for me) and Effexor (worked well but the sexual side effects were worse than the depression). I started Wellbutrin at 150mg and slowly increased to 300mg by after completely titrating off Effexor, had to increase to 450 because MD came back. SO, here is the deal - at first this drug feels awful (realize that most anti's are like this in the beginning). I had to stick with it for at least a month and the extreme anxiety has always normalized. But OMG - this is the first drug that motivates me to get out of bed and face each day. for me it helps to balance my down mood & 'urge to isolate' and sabotage my day."

StickwithIt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tabitha57.... What brand of 150 SR did you take... Mylan, sandoz or Brand name Wellbutrin?"

Rinmoe (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started on this med low and slow as I am sensitive to medicine. Had to increase up and no relief. Increased 3 times and still no relief. Did not do much for me but give it a chance. I took it for over six months. Many others report excellent results with it"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Wellbutrin (150mg) during an extreme depressive episode. It helped even me out a lot, though it didn't address all of my symptoms. I increased the dose to 300mg but had to drop back down because I was having trouble sleeping. This is the only side effect I've experienced while on this medication. I've been on it for a year and a half now and overall it has helped a lot. I'm still depressed but I'm no where near as bad as before taking Wellbutrin. I'm looking into adding an SSRI or something as an adjunct therapy to try to make things even better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been prescribed several anti-depressants throughout the years, many being SSRI's and they've had little to no effect, or even the opposite effect but this medication works so well I can't even believe it. I'm so happy I was prescribed this medication for depression. I have been on it for 3 years now and my life is changed dramatically. I suffer from major depressive disorder and SAD."

raven_is December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine has improved my depression dramatically. I feel calm, am able to focus and get things done, but not with the manic rush of another medicine I used to take. Hopefully will help me lose weight over time."

Mid30sgal (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this medication for about 2 weeks now.. I got prescribed it in the hospital after a fallout. I tried prozac while in high school and had no luck with it. Then was prescribed Zoloft a few months ago and obviously didn't work.. considering landing myself in the hospital. Now trying Wellbutrin. Even though I have just started it I'd say that I do see some positive effects in it. I have more motivation and trying to do better for myself. But, I do have some side effects including really bad headaches, ringing in ears, insomnia, dizziness at times with nausea. I also have noticed taking Excedrin to suppress the headaches doesn't help, but make my anxiety increase. Don't take a dose late either as that just increases mood swing"

Cmarie1 December 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was started on Wellbutrin 150mg for one month. Made me sleep and eat less but did nothing for my depression so my doctor increased it to 300mg. Within 3 to 4 days of the increase, I was having panic attacks and couldn't stop crying. Depression kicked into overdrive immediately."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Wellbutrin for a year and a half. If you do not respond to SSRIs (like me) I would definitely recommend giving Wellbutrin/Bupropion a go. At the end of the fourth week on 150mg, just before I was about to tell my doctor it was another dud - I very suddenly felt clear and not like a slug human. I would say it's such a strong feeling that you will know if it works and the day it starts. I had a horrible time falling asleep, lost my appetite, but felt super ecstatic! Maybe it's because for the first time in 8 years (I am 26) I felt what it's like to not see doing the most simplest of tasks as a stressful chore. I could have cried! I've lost a bit over ten pounds since being on it. Currently I am on the highest dose which is 600"

Revere November 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After trying Zoloft and Lexapro with no success my doctor recommended Wellbutrin. Starting with 10mg daily. I've been taking this medication for 4 weeks now and my depression has not improved and my anxiety has worsened. The only positive review I can give is that I've lost 5 lbs since starting. Today my Dr. advised I should try a different medication rather than increase the dosage because of my anxiety."

ACS080292 September 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on 100 mg of bupropion Sr twice a day. Some days I'm balanced, some days I'm full of so much energy and today zombie state. Pros? The "voices" in my head berating me every second of the day is silent. I am starting to see less hallucinations. My sex drive is up and paranoia down. Cons? Vivid dreams. Like vivid to the point of not being able to differentiate reality. Also, you always sleep late and wake up early. But you trade one major problem for a manageable one so I can deal with this. It's only been a month. Perhaps it gets better. Who knows. I am worried it may trigger another psychotic episode...may have to talk to Doctor."

Sam l h September 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 150mg of Wellbutrin after I had attempted suicide twice. It really didn't help me. For a while I kind of just felt empty and it didn't really help my mood. To be honest, it made me worse. My anxiety was at its worse and I was still self harming and thinking about suicide. This was definitely not for me."

Edgemeister36 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has been a godsend for me. I've been on some other antidepressants, namely Cymbalta and Buspar but I couldn't quite get my head out of the funk. Now, with Wellbutrin I feel like I'm awake and enjoying life again!"

Dan9447 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking Wellbutrin 300XL for a while now. Previously used a SSRI which had little to no effect in that I would contemplate suicide nearly daily and had zero interest in life in general. Now I actually want to do things again, I am enjoying life and I have more energy. I can't say enough how well this drug has worked for me. Only side effect I've experienced is decreased appetite and I've lost a few pounds, which for me is a good thing."

Anonymous July 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Wellbutrin 75mg x 2 a day for a week. I have CFS and MDD, SAD, as well as mild OSA. My sleep doctor suggested Wellbutrin because of its stimulating effects after I asked about Provigil or Nuvigil for my extreme fatigue and depression. The first four days I felt like I drank 20 cups of coffee. Jittery, gnashing my teeth, tensed up muscles, hard time sleeping, while still depressed. Not a good combination. After four days the stimulant effect suddenly went away and was replaced by the worst sleepiness I've ever felt. An hour after taking the pills I practically fall asleep. Drowsy and sleepy all day to the point of not being able to function at my job. Not sure if I can continue Wellbutrin for much longer."

Iwantanewdrug (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was at age 50 severely depressed about my future because I had screwed my life up so bad. I was so full of fear and anxiety as well. I started addressing things in my life one at a time, and one of those things was finding a good psychologist. I chose to get on Wellbutrin, 300 day and like others felt it working by day two. Within three months it settled in and completely changed my life. I'm happy to wake up, I enjoy work, I take care of myself, people respond to me better. In not worried about the future. I like me again. It's been a miracle drug for me - all positive, no negative."

Namaste100 May 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered depression and PTSD for a long time. I ate ativan like tictacs and tried many other anti-depressants (prozac, escitlaopram, etc. all of which had very negative effects on me and which I discontinued after trial periods). Last year was a significant year for me with huge outside stressors adding pressure. Long story short, doc put me on wellbutrin. I didn't notice anything at first, but I noticed after a couple weeks the black dog was going away and then I gradually became emotionally flatter and could go weeks without crying. Great stuff. I will be on it for life. Con: As another poster stated; bad and scary quick rebound depression when you quit (ran out and was away so could not renew scrip)."

AliveBecause (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I really did not intend to review wellbutrin...just curious what other people said...but so much "neg" I felt I had to speak. I've been on it for 29 YEARS! I had been seriously depressed for a few months..my therapist was a moron for waiting three months to send me to a Psych! I was told it would take at least 2 weeks to be really effective...for me it was day 17. I woke up and when I first looked in the mirror(gut check time) I didn't say to myself "wow I feel better" I said "omg is this what normal people feel like when they wake up in the morning?" For all practical purposes that was like my actual birthday...the day I became a fully functioning human. I'm lucky, it works and it keeps working."

Davidagain March 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 150 MG efexor for nearly a year and continued suffering with depression and anxiety. It affected my libido to the point that I couldn't stand being touched by my husband. I've been on wellbutrin for nearly three weeks and it's been a miracle for me. My energy level is up, I can focus again, and my libido has increased. The only negative I have had is it doesn't help my anxiety."

coming together December 31, 2015