User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

"Started post-break-up. Happy now, don't credit meds, but still take WB & never want to stop (unlike Clonaz. & Desipr.) bc other reasons to take. Lost weight, gained energy, desire to be social. Now only anxiety and IBS; the WB counters some sexual side effects of other meds. NOT a morning person, but 450 SR(12hr) right b4 sleep (RIGHT b4 or insomnia)=hop out of bed at alarm. If I take 450 in morning, easy to resist food. Wish I could have both, but splitting dosage or taking XL(24hr) doesn't work. 167lbs 6yrs ago @start, down to125. 3yrs of 130lbs but built-up tolerance, so then 150lbs 2yrs ago. Took @night for months, then back to morning & now 1yr 135lbs. 450mg is max. New dr: split time night & mrng. But that would defeat 1/2 its purpose"

LosingWeight=Antidepressant (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 24, 2016

"I've had depression and anxiety with panics since 2013 and been through many medications that didn't work and finally I get Wellbutrin 150mg lexapro 20 mg and it's amazing I feel back to myself years ago!!! Here it is 2016 when I get the right deal."

Stg76864 September 19, 2016

"I smoked for 48 years. It helped me quit now I'm going to use it for my depression ."

Papal (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2016

"I have little side effects like a headache, but that is due to no appetite from this medication. Ever since I have been on it I feel wonderful again like I used to be. All I would sit around and cry and think I was useless but now that is gone all together. I'm on 200mg and who knows I could have it increased if all goes well. Since I have been on this medication I have lost 14 lbs. I have no appetite so I have to force myself to eat which isn't till like 4 pm. I'm so glad I'm losing weight and not gaining. Who knows it could be a combination with my Lisinopril. I guess everyone is different but give it a try or ask your doctor if you can take it for weight loss, my doctor put me on it for weight loss and depression...Very very happy"

Cyndie endurance (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2016

"I've been on the drug for months, but I noticed the effects of it almost immediately. For the first time I can concentrate for long periods of time, and my motivation has never been better (although it's not always drastic). It has really messed with my appetite by making me not want to eat and getting full really quick, but I feel great and have lost a lot of weight! It hasn't changed my depressive thoughts, but I have way fewer break downs and my mood drops are not nearly as extreme. I love this drug."

Anonymous September 16, 2016

"I was started on WB xl 150mg 8week ago The first couple of weeks I had nausea fogginess and had trouble sleeping this started to taper off at about the four week mark. Last week my doctor increased it to 300mg and I have foggy/dizziness and since I've been on it I've had some abdominal discomfort. Is this normal and will it go away and do you get the side effects again when it has been increased?"

Message September 12, 2016

"So my journey has been two years with depression/anxiety. Had two bouts prior.... the first coming out of nowhere around age 40. The two times I went on a Paxil and in 30 days I was normal. You can only imagine my disbelief when this third bout trying Lexapro, Effexor and Paxil lead to horrible fatigue within a week of each. I just couldn't tolerate the fatigue and there was no relief. Incredible. Went on 100 mg of Wellbutrin despite it increasing my anxiety... requiring Lorazepam. For past year I couldn't tolerate more than 100 mg of W. w/o terrible fatigue. A year later I just got up to 150 mg without fatigue... no relief of depression yet. Also in therapy. Wellbutrin is better than nothing I guess. Not sure what's next."

Fiftiesman (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2016

"I am on day 3 of wellbutrin. I have a special 70mg doseage as in Europe not easily available. I did day 1 and day 2 on 35mg. I just slept all the time and thankfully was the weekend so off work. I felt so great though apart from being zombie. Was hungry alot too. Day 3 - I've taken 35mg morning now my second 35mg at evening. Am wondering will the sleepiness go away? I've tried loads of SSRI'S and SRNI's and just sleep all the time on all of them. Very frustrating as I know lots of people who are on anti depressants and they don't have the zombie affect and it really improves the quality of their lives. Am probably going to have to come off anti depressants as no quality of life with the zombie affect. Any advice be appreciated. :("

SpaceCowGal August 21, 2016

"I've been battling depression for quite a while now. It all started after a cancer diagnosis. I'm currently a survivor but feel extremely depressed after my long time boyfriend left me. I feel extremely lonely without him and couldn't cope with life. I would think about suicide day and night so I realized I needed help and decided to take Wellbutrin. Good thing is that it gave me lots of energy and was able to focus better but the downside was that I couldn't sleep. I'm looking for another medication now."

Morgan12345 August 17, 2016

"I enjoy reading everyone's stories as I search for an answer to my depression and anxiety issues. I think it is important that you state the dose (regular, SR, or XL) and mg you are taking as it makes a difference. I am assuming we are all talking generic as well. My MD psychiatrist will only prescribe the SR and says the XL "is garbage," I was interested in the Xl because of the convenience of taking one a day. My brother, who is year younger and hardwired like me, swears by the 300 XL and says it helps him tremendously. I was trying to sell that to my MD but he was not buying it. Anyways, I have been taking 2 x 150 SR daily and I feel more energized, level headed, with less binge eating. No luck on Celexa, Paxil and Effexor.."

DaddyO/3boyz August 12, 2016

"After 6 days on this pill my family noticed a calmer me. I haven't experience any anxiety episodes but I have noticed I'm a bit foggy and forgetful. I'm sure it's going to take a while before my body gets used to the medication. For the most part I feel like it's doing a positive impact in my life. Also having a harder time to fall asleep hopefully that changes soon."

Marie R. July 31, 2016

"I took bupropion for about two weeks and I didnt like the side effects. I cant sleep and with kids its a big no!. Its been about 2 weeks since I stopped and I wish I didnt. I get anxiety attacks I want to cry!! And dizziness. I will visit my dr soon."

Anonymous July 23, 2016

"Back in Feb I had first started not sleeping well and by the end of that month major depression was in full effect. I tried numerous atypical antidepressants only getting major side effects. I was not inclined to use an SSRI since side effects seem to outweigh some of the positives they offer. Reluctant to give up on medication all together I was still not sleeping major battle with anxiety and insomnia. I decided to try Wellbutrin 150mg XL. Let me clearly explain the first 2 weeks were rough. No sleep think I slept 3 days or so. After the 3rd week I started to see more positive motivation and energy to get through the day. The energy is balanced now and the depressed thoughts and anxiety are in control. I'm just going to week 4... Onward"

Lostinamaze July 15, 2016

"Well after trying Paxil (worked really well but bad sexual side effects) for a couple years, then celexa worked but not as well as Paxil still sexual side effects recently on Prozac worked for depression however sexual side effects made me just not want to even bother. Got a script for Wellbutrin Xl 150mg brand name as I asked for non generic out of pocket cost 11.27 with insurance. Will report back and see how I do. Day one tomorrow. I put a rating of 5 just because of the unknown. Will rate when in full swing."

Macphisto July 12, 2016

"Over years have tried several antidepressants.....in my younger years Prozac, zoloft, Paxil, horrible side effects! Now that I am in my fifties I have been dealing with depression? Menopausal related,stress ,life.....tried natural Sam e and some others with no results but only side effects....Finally started Wellbutin and finally feeling black cloud lifting with No weird side effects....Hopefully continue and feel like my old self again:)"

Alicefay (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2016

"After the failure of 2 bupropion generics & the discontinued manufacturing of the one generic I *could* tolerate, I finally got on the one form of the name-brand Wellbutrin my insurance would cover. It made all the difference in the world. I feel better. My severe mood swings decreased as well as my angry outbursts. I don't mind the 3 pills a day (my generics had been SR); I actually prefer it as it seems the nighttime dose makes it easier to get up in the morning. I am dealing with some constipation, but I have MS and that is a side effect of many of my medications as well as my condition. I was happy and starting to get back on my feet again. BUT....Now they aren't going to make it any more. I have confirmation from GSK. So now what?"

MS Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

"I've been on Wellbutrin for about four weeks to ease my social anxiety issues. I have never taken anti-depressants before so I had no idea what to expect. I'm glad the first week is over because it was very euphoric, which I did not enjoy. I had to take a nap around 4:00 p.m. the first day. The second week was not euphoric at all and I feel back to my old self again. Gratitude all around."

HoloceneSoldier (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

"I was given this medication at a low dose because I am in end stage copd. I have been experiencing auditory hallucinations and also very strange dreams and was not told about this by my doctor or pharmacist. I looked at the information given to me by the pharmacist and these adverse reactions were buried in little print at the very bottom. I feel that these side effects should be known right away. I thought I was losing my mind. I am going to stop taking this drug and if anyone asks me about it I will tell them to be very careful."

Legacy albatross (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2016

"I'm in my mid 30's and took wellburtrin for the last 6 weeks for depression & ADD. I was shaky since the beginning (although not as bad as I was in the beginning), the entire time I'd feel my legs would give out. I was always sleepy & lazy with a why bother attitude for everything. My mind would still wander but it would be blank. I started forgetting things I've always known like my zip code. It started affecting me at work. I called my doctor who said my symptoms weren't from the wellbutrin but the other meds I'm on. I stopped taking the wellbutrin yesterday, I already have more energy, I'm noticeably less shaky (my boss noticed), I'm more focused. I feel better than I have in a long time. Don't take wellbutrin it'll just mess you up."

Theredhead (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2016

"Shortly after my 20th birthday, I developed what I later found out was major depression. After starting counseling, I reluctantly started taking Wellbutrin and within a few days was a noticeably different person than I had been the past 6 months. I began to act like my old self again, gaining confidence, and for the most part being free from all of my depression episodes that had occurred daily. The biggest side effects that I experienced were weight loss/loss of appetite and trouble falling asleep at night, but after about two weeks those both went away. I've now been taking 300mg daily for about six weeks and feel great! I'd encourage you to give this medication a try, because it can potentially really change your life."

eliza1995 June 3, 2016

"Depression/anxiety. Tried various SSRIs, which gave me terrible night sweats and edginess. Wellbutrin gave me back my appetite for life. I wanted/was motivated to get uo, get out and do things rather than sit around. Also, because you can't/shouldn't drink while taking it, I secondarily lost weight and felt healthier - mentally and physically. Can't think of any negative side effects - takes a week or two to adjust/calibrate when starting."

SDH1974 May 14, 2016

"I got prescribed this because I was having major anxiety and felt like I was going to pass out. This is barely my second day on it and I don't know how I feel about this drug yet I feel a tad weird and feel off and feels like it helps with my anxiety kind of for a while but then I'll get major anxiety again. What should I do? What drug works best for anxiety/panic disorders. It sucks."

RogerLuk May 2, 2016

"Probably saved my life. This is the first antidepressant I tried as I was scared of some of the nasty side effects of the SSRIs (sexual, weight gain, tiredness). I was on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg for 1-2 months and then have been on 300mg XL for 3 months now. Getting on it was a little strange, as I had some side effects of anxiety at first, but actually have not had a panic attack since starting. Just know that it doesn't really help with anxiety/ocd symptoms (but I've been going to therapy for that). Really made me motivated to get work done (never been the case for me) without that craziness feeling from Adderall. Very consistently good mood and makes me want to be alive. Also increased sex drive + motivation for exercise is a plus."

hsoj1324 April 24, 2016

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on 150XL and feel horrible. Its almost like I'm tripping on LSD. Foggy head, angry, cranky and very irritable. Heart palpitations and it makes me very lethargic. Dr recommended taking it at night and its a tiny bit better. I want to stick with it to see if it gets me to a better emotional state but don't know if I can last. How long before I start feeling better?"

scary lady (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"I have been on Wellbutrin 150mg for 3 days now, doc said to up the dose to 300 mg after my first week, it has been hell to say the least. I have had terrible migraines, a very 'slumpled/sluggish' feeling, and I can't sleep!!! If anything, I feel worse! I just want this terrible phase to be over! *one thing positive I will add is that it has helped me with my weight tremendously - I have lost 10 pounds in 10 days. Loosing about a pound a day on this medication."

Jay Marie (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016