User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

"I had experienced a very traumatic event and was prescribed this medication wellbutrin at 150mg for three day then 300mg everyday but at separate times. Within a week I could feel a strange feeling like I couldn't stop thinking about just what I was seeing and how miserable I felt. A few days later I hit the lowest point in life. Soon afterward I was experiencing some suicidal thoughts. Had to take a benzo to relax and it went away. Never taking that again. I was on it only 2 weeks."

Wellbutrin user January 22, 2017

"I am a 57 year old breast cancer survivor who has been in excellent shape, trim and happily married. After menopause, I developed insomnia, weight gain and depression. Can no longer take estrogen due to breast cancer, which made me feel tired all the time. Thyroid medicine helped but not enough--No energy and lost interest in doing things. My doctor insisted I try SSRIs such as Lexapro and Zoloft, but had bad side effects. I tried many supplements--not much help. I tried Bupropion HCL SR 150 mg. It worked right away. I take early morning and have energy all day. I did not have side effects (lost 2 pounds! and insomnia if taken after 10 am). Changed my life! Been on it 4 months."

Tabitha 57 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2017

"Started taking it and I slept well at night and awoke early around 5 to start my day happily. But come 8 am and I am drowsy and needed to take already two hrs nap. Awake and resume My day with not much difficulties. Than st 2 pm again I needed a nap? So how was I gonna make it to work and my appointments too ? I went cold turkey. Felt much better after that. Only to crash again. I did try other anti depressants including pristique. But I suffered with insomnia with these meds. I know I need to start again but so confused if I should resume welbutrin"

Neemi (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2017

"I've been depressed for quite some years now on and off. I've had my highs and my lows .I decided to talk to my doctor to try out anti depressants even though I was so scared and skeptical .My doctor prescribed me with setraline 50 mg I noticed my energy level increased to a certain extent but after a couple months I noticed no change at all I was just at a 5 out of 10 not going up or down so I decided to change my meds. He then prescribed me bupropion xl 150 mg. The first 3 days were amazing I had an incredible amount of energy . I felt the most normal I hadin a whole year . Soon after , the 6th day came and i felt horrible. Vomiting , headaches, confusion.. & night sweats.. etc"

Sammydee January 5, 2017

"Started Wellbutrin XL at 150 mg once a day to treat depression and anxiety, although was more concerned about depression. The first week I was on it I was absolutely miserable. I did not sleep or eat at all and was crying constantly and I think it definitely worsened my depression. However, I called my doctor and had my dose lowered to 75 mg and not extended release and I immediately felt better. I have been on that dosage for about 6 months now and I feel amazing. I am able to control my emotions so much better and I rarely have meltdowns ( I used to have a complete meltdown anytime anything negative happened to me). I definitely plan on staying on wellbutrin. Would just recommend you make sure you are on the right dose"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2017

"I've been taking Bupropion 1 pill 150mg once a day for anxiety and depression for a month and it hasn't really been working. I feel the same way. The first day I felt that it limited my brain somehow, but that was all. And I find myself not being able to sleep at all at night ever since I started taking it. I've been sleeping 2-3 hours. Maybe I should take a higher dose or change medication."

Angel8888 January 4, 2017

"Now on day 3 of 150mg Wellbutrin. I feel jittery, out of it, like my brain is cement and won't move when I turn my head, I can hardly concentrate for a conversation, I drop things, I have trouble thinking straight. I drove my car the first day but should not have. I will continue hoping that these horrible side effects go away"

Tantantro December 29, 2016

"I've been on Wellbutrin now for 7 months. Started off at 150 mg and in 4 weeks increased it to 300 mg because if I took the 150 mg in the morning ( 7am) by ( 5 pm) I crashed and started feeling hopeless and useless. Before taking Wellbutrin I must admit I was very depressed. Always looking for change and felt useless and hopeless about life, I went up and down from being angry some days then happy some days, then sad other days. (Emotional wreck) lol. I wasn't my sociable self. I would go to work, go to school, then go home. Friends would call to hang out and I would sadly decline. From my experience of being on Wellbutrin it has helped me a great deal. I feel normal now and more sociable. Just to add it also helps with my ADD. :)"

Loretta2016 December 17, 2016

"I went through a very rough patch and initially started on Lexapro, mostly for anxiety. It made me have no strong feelings, good or bad. I needed that for a while but got concerned about not caring about much of anything. That's when I weaned myself off of that. Not too long later I realized I still had issues that needed dealt with. My doctor suggested trying wellbutrin instead as it targets different chemicals in the brain. It has made a huge difference for me in dealing with persistent depression. For the first week or two I had night sweats and very vivid nightmares along with a loss of appetite. I've been on 150mg twice daily for about a year now and and makes me feel as close to normal as I've felt in a while."

Jennifuzzy (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2016

"I've taken it for a week now and all its caused was me and my gf to have big fights in public. I already had anger issues. Its worse now. I'll stick with it for another week or two, if it doesn't get better. I'm quitting this mess."

I've taken it for a week now (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

"I just started taking wellbutrin, before I was on Lexapro but became tolerant of it. So doctor prescribed Wellbutrin. The first time I took the medication I woke up thinking I was in another state. And now I live in florida...must a been a dream. Any way I'm not sure about wellbutrin and yes I know it takes time to tell if it's going to work. I just wish I was not so anxious and a scared feeling inside me. I don't like being alone but I dont have a GF, just friends that are to busy to stop by. But we are all around 57 58 59 and 60...so guess that figures....Has anyone had good results with welbutrin?"

robertestokley December 10, 2016

"not sure yet"

StagnDoe December 8, 2016

"I got depression and anxiety after one summer of abusing ecstasy and acid. This was 2003. For quite a while I didn't Medicate as I was still in denial. After about 2 years of suffering I started taking lexapro. It didn't do much. I began to get severe headaches. After 2 years I switched to Zoloft. Kept waiting for things to get better but they just got worse. I began to put on weight. To feel better I was binge eating junk food. I became sickly bloated, And had terrible OCD. Eventually out of desperation I switched doctors 2 yrs ago and he prescribed Wellbutrin xl. Thank god. The fog began to clear up, I felt optimistic, less anxious, lost weight. Am almost 80% better. Living a normal life. Welbutrin saved my life."

Manav (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2016

"DO NOT MISS A DOSE IF YOU TAKE THIS MEDICATION! I literally forgot to take one pill this afternoon of my Wellbutrin and now I feel absolutely MISERABLE. I have been crying for the past four hours nonstop, feel so much grief and self hatred, and am having suicidal thoughts. I've never been this bad before and I attribute it to missing one pill. I'm really scared of how missing just one pill has so much of an effect on me."

Lauren23232323 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

"I'm suffering friom depression and anxiety. It's been a week that I'm on welbutrin 150 xl , I feel a difference. I feel I'm more sociable and happier. More energy, lost my appetite and it seems I'm losing weight. Which is a good part of the drug."

Nb2003 November 20, 2016

"I tried for 2 yrs after a major life change to get my life back. All the snri's and ssri's gave me the worst side effects and I became more depressed dizzy migraines and suicidal. This wasnt me and every doctor wrote me off as being a bad patient. I was ready to throw in the towel and tried a low dose of wellbutrin and OMG. 2 months later I was completely myself and 6 mos later im medication free. Dont give up keep trying. I thought my life was over and was a difficult patient. Dont let message boards or doctors rule your life. If something isnt working dont stay on it!"

JIC (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2016

"I started on Lexapro which worked at first for me, then a month later made me feel like a zombie because I was so drowsy so my doctor started me on 200mg of Wellbutrin a day. The first few days were fine and then after about a week the crazy suicidal thoughts started. Then came the mood swings and short fuze. After 2 weeks of this medication I couldnt stand anyone around me or even myself. I didnt want to be talked to or even looked at I felt depressed, life wasn't worth anything. So, my doctor changed me to Prozac 20mg and so far seems to be a good fit."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

"I think I've been suffering from seasonal disorder for most of my adult life. I live in Alaska, the sun comes and goes. It's been 2weeks on WB, and I'm not sure what to think. My anxiety and depression are next to nothing, but I feel like I'm missing something in my brain, if that makes sense. I'm pretty much just doing a routine everyday, but without anger. The wife likes the improvement in my mood, as do the kids. So I'll probably keep taking it to make them happy."

AKFather (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2016

"I am an 18 year old female. I started taking Wellbutrin about 7 months ago for depression/anxiety. Honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference. I think it has helped me control my emotions a bit more though/feel more stable. I've just started my first year of college and I've had a rough time but I think the WB helps keep my meltdowns to a minimum (sort of). I was hoping to lose a bit of weight but I didn't really notice any loss of appetite. I've DEFINITELY noticed that if forget to take it for a day I feel absolutely miserable. Even if I take it a bit off schedule I feel sad for a day. Also, if I drink a bit too much, my hangover is AWFUL and I feel very sad the next day. Keep the drinking to a minimum or don't."

Liz1000 October 30, 2016

"Age 48 and have struggled with depression for years. I have no other MH disorder and had no luck with antidepressants. Prozac increased suicidal ideation and with Zoloft I felt occasional "zapping" in my brain (I have no other way to describe it, but it's happened to others). Finally decided to try Wellbutrin 150 mg QD. I'm mad at myself for not trying it sooner! Now, depressive episodes are very infrequent and last less than 30 minutes. The low is very manageable, however at times when I should be sad, it's like I can't be. I also have tons of energy, when in the past I'd struggle to get out of bed. Unfortunately I haven't had any weight loss. The down side is that I am experiencing some insomnia, but I'd rather that than the alternative."

Monica B October 25, 2016

"Most Antdepressant(AD) medications have been ineffective for me. My primary concern is anxiety with depression being also a concern. Wellbutrin in my experience has been one of the few which isn't aweful. It's honestly no miracle worker and I'm not sure AD's are the way to go. That said if your going to take an AD wellbutrin is well worth trying. I presently take 150mg but 300mg was most effective. Pros: Helpful on sexual side of things, weight-loss, helps a lot with feeling happier. Cons: Little or no effect on anxiety, slight weird feeling (I noted I should be sad yet I'm not. I guess that's it doing it's job.), can cause insomnia (be careful what time you take), not available on PBS (In Aus)."

Ash10105 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2016

"Started post-break-up. Happy now, don't credit meds, but still take WB & never want to stop (unlike Clonaz. & Desipr.) bc other reasons to take. Lost weight, gained energy, desire to be social. Now only anxiety and IBS; the WB counters some sexual side effects of other meds. NOT a morning person, but 450 SR(12hr) right b4 sleep (RIGHT b4 or insomnia)=hop out of bed at alarm. If I take 450 in morning, easy to resist food. Wish I could have both, but splitting dosage or taking XL(24hr) doesn't work. 167lbs 6yrs ago @start, down to125. 3yrs of 130lbs but built-up tolerance, so then 150lbs 2yrs ago. Took @night for months, then back to morning & now 1yr 135lbs. 450mg is max. New dr: split time night & mrng. But that would defeat 1/2 its purpose"

LosingWeight=Antidepressant (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 24, 2016

"I've had depression and anxiety with panics since 2013 and been through many medications that didn't work and finally I get Wellbutrin 150mg lexapro 20 mg and it's amazing I feel back to myself years ago!!! Here it is 2016 when I get the right deal."

Stg76864 September 19, 2016

"I smoked for 48 years. It helped me quit now I'm going to use it for my depression ."

Papal (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2016

"I have little side effects like a headache, but that is due to no appetite from this medication. Ever since I have been on it I feel wonderful again like I used to be. All I would sit around and cry and think I was useless but now that is gone all together. I'm on 200mg and who knows I could have it increased if all goes well. Since I have been on this medication I have lost 14 lbs. I have no appetite so I have to force myself to eat which isn't till like 4 pm. I'm so glad I'm losing weight and not gaining. Who knows it could be a combination with my Lisinopril. I guess everyone is different but give it a try or ask your doctor if you can take it for weight loss, my doctor put me on it for weight loss and depression...Very very happy"

Cyndie endurance (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2016