User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

"Back in Feb I had first started not sleeping well and by the end of that month major depression was in full effect. I tried numerous atypical antidepressants only getting major side effects. I was not inclined to use an SSRI since side effects seem to outweigh some of the positives they offer. Reluctant to give up on medication all together I was still not sleeping major battle with anxiety and insomnia. I decided to try Wellbutrin 150mg XL. Let me clearly explain the first 2 weeks were rough. No sleep think I slept 3 days or so. After the 3rd week I started to see more positive motivation and energy to get through the day. The energy is balanced now and the depressed thoughts and anxiety are in control. I'm just going to week 4... Onward"

Lostinamaze July 15, 2016

"Well after trying Paxil (worked really well but bad sexual side effects) for a couple years, then celexa worked but not as well as Paxil still sexual side effects recently on Prozac worked for depression however sexual side effects made me just not want to even bother. Got a script for Wellbutrin Xl 150mg brand name as I asked for non generic out of pocket cost 11.27 with insurance. Will report back and see how I do. Day one tomorrow. I put a rating of 5 just because of the unknown. Will rate when in full swing."

Macphisto July 12, 2016

"Over years have tried several antidepressants.....in my younger years Prozac, zoloft, Paxil, horrible side effects! Now that I am in my fifties I have been dealing with depression? Menopausal related,stress ,life.....tried natural Sam e and some others with no results but only side effects....Finally started Wellbutin and finally feeling black cloud lifting with No weird side effects....Hopefully continue and feel like my old self again:)"

Alicefay (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2016

"After the failure of 2 bupropion generics & the discontinued manufacturing of the one generic I *could* tolerate, I finally got on the one form of the name-brand Wellbutrin my insurance would cover. It made all the difference in the world. I feel better. My severe mood swings decreased as well as my angry outbursts. I don't mind the 3 pills a day (my generics had been SR); I actually prefer it as it seems the nighttime dose makes it easier to get up in the morning. I am dealing with some constipation, but I have MS and that is a side effect of many of my medications as well as my condition. I was happy and starting to get back on my feet again. BUT....Now they aren't going to make it any more. I have confirmation from GSK. So now what?"

MS Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

"I've been on Wellbutrin for about four weeks to ease my social anxiety issues. I have never taken anti-depressants before so I had no idea what to expect. I'm glad the first week is over because it was very euphoric, which I did not enjoy. I had to take a nap around 4:00 p.m. the first day. The second week was not euphoric at all and I feel back to my old self again. Gratitude all around."

HoloceneSoldier (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

"I was given this medication at a low dose because I am in end stage copd. I have been experiencing auditory hallucinations and also very strange dreams and was not told about this by my doctor or pharmacist. I looked at the information given to me by the pharmacist and these adverse reactions were buried in little print at the very bottom. I feel that these side effects should be known right away. I thought I was losing my mind. I am going to stop taking this drug and if anyone asks me about it I will tell them to be very careful."

Legacy albatross (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2016

"I'm in my mid 30's and took wellburtrin for the last 6 weeks for depression & ADD. I was shaky since the beginning (although not as bad as I was in the beginning), the entire time I'd feel my legs would give out. I was always sleepy & lazy with a why bother attitude for everything. My mind would still wander but it would be blank. I started forgetting things I've always known like my zip code. It started affecting me at work. I called my doctor who said my symptoms weren't from the wellbutrin but the other meds I'm on. I stopped taking the wellbutrin yesterday, I already have more energy, I'm noticeably less shaky (my boss noticed), I'm more focused. I feel better than I have in a long time. Don't take wellbutrin it'll just mess you up."

Theredhead (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2016

"Shortly after my 20th birthday, I developed what I later found out was major depression. After starting counseling, I reluctantly started taking Wellbutrin and within a few days was a noticeably different person than I had been the past 6 months. I began to act like my old self again, gaining confidence, and for the most part being free from all of my depression episodes that had occurred daily. The biggest side effects that I experienced were weight loss/loss of appetite and trouble falling asleep at night, but after about two weeks those both went away. I've now been taking 300mg daily for about six weeks and feel great! I'd encourage you to give this medication a try, because it can potentially really change your life."

eliza1995 June 3, 2016

"Depression/anxiety. Tried various SSRIs, which gave me terrible night sweats and edginess. Wellbutrin gave me back my appetite for life. I wanted/was motivated to get uo, get out and do things rather than sit around. Also, because you can't/shouldn't drink while taking it, I secondarily lost weight and felt healthier - mentally and physically. Can't think of any negative side effects - takes a week or two to adjust/calibrate when starting."

SDH1974 May 14, 2016

"I got prescribed this because I was having major anxiety and felt like I was going to pass out. This is barely my second day on it and I don't know how I feel about this drug yet I feel a tad weird and feel off and feels like it helps with my anxiety kind of for a while but then I'll get major anxiety again. What should I do? What drug works best for anxiety/panic disorders. It sucks."

RogerLuk May 2, 2016

"Probably saved my life. This is the first antidepressant I tried as I was scared of some of the nasty side effects of the SSRIs (sexual, weight gain, tiredness). I was on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg for 1-2 months and then have been on 300mg XL for 3 months now. Getting on it was a little strange, as I had some side effects of anxiety at first, but actually have not had a panic attack since starting. Just know that it doesn't really help with anxiety/ocd symptoms (but I've been going to therapy for that). Really made me motivated to get work done (never been the case for me) without that craziness feeling from Adderall. Very consistently good mood and makes me want to be alive. Also increased sex drive + motivation for exercise is a plus."

hsoj1324 April 24, 2016

"I have been on 150XL and feel horrible. Its almost like I'm tripping on LSD. Foggy head, angry, cranky and very irritable. Heart palpitations and it makes me very lethargic. Dr recommended taking it at night and its a tiny bit better. I want to stick with it to see if it gets me to a better emotional state but don't know if I can last. How long before I start feeling better?"

scary lady (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"I have been on Wellbutrin 150mg for 3 days now, doc said to up the dose to 300 mg after my first week, it has been hell to say the least. I have had terrible migraines, a very 'slumpled/sluggish' feeling, and I can't sleep!!! If anything, I feel worse! I just want this terrible phase to be over! *one thing positive I will add is that it has helped me with my weight tremendously - I have lost 10 pounds in 10 days. Loosing about a pound a day on this medication."

Jay Marie (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

"I have had depression for over two years and have tried three other antidepressants with little to no success before using Wellbutrin. I have taken Wellbutrin for several months and it is the only antidepressant I've used that has given me no side effects and a signficantly improved mood. I still don't feel as driven and passionate about things as I once was, but at least I have some of my motivation and energy back, which is an improvement from none whatsoever. It's no cure, but I have gradually been feeling so much more emotionally stable since starting this medication."

Star658 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2016

"I have had episodes of depression throughout my life. I have been on ssri meds off and on. They never seemed to help and side effects were horrible, Tired lack of energy sexual side effects increased anxiety. After my son was born I experienced the worst depression anxiety. After over 3yrs. I finally went to seek help and refused to take ssri meds. They first put me on buspar for anxiety which is a great alternative to other addictive meds. Then they added 150 mg. Welbutrin once in the morning. The first day I felt like I actually woke up for the first time in 3 years, had energy but after a week felt like it wore off too quick. I am being upped to 300my xl and hoping I'll get better results. Still best med I've ever tried!"

JanetLM April 9, 2016

"I have struggled with depression and anxiety for some time, now. I was initially worried that the stimulating effects would exacerbate my anxiety, and it did--but only temporarily. Wellbutrin XL 300mg has been the ONLY antidepressant that has worked. I take it in combination with Effexor XR 75mg. I was taken off Wellbutrin in an attempt to switch to Effexor only, but it became quickly apparent that Wellbutrin controlled most of the depressive symptoms. I stopped it for 2 months--both of which were awful. Within a week of resuming Wellbutrin, my depression began to lift. I still have bad days, of course, but the effects of Wellbutrin make me more energized and ready to take on the world."

anonymous1245 April 7, 2016

"My daughter suffered from depression and anxiety and had tried SSRIs. We thought this might help give her more energy and feel better since it affects dopamine. However, over the summer her anxiety got worse. At college her anxiety got even worse. She became paranoid and even started hearing voices. She ate very little and slept very little. She stopped going to classes and had suicidal thoughts. She called me and said she felt constantly "jittery," so I told her to get off the drug. Basically, it increased her energy and made her mood much worse. I don't recommend this for someone who suffers from anxiety since it affects norepinephrine - the fight or flight response."

Feeling Tired (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

"I started on wellbutrin about 8 months ago for clinical depression, and while it hasn't been a miracle cure, things could deffinitly be worse. It really has been a gentler medication in terms of side effects. The only medication I tried before this was lexapro, and geez was that rough (sexual side effects, extreme lethargy, brain fog, memory loss, weight gain etc). I switched to wellbutrin as an alternative, and experienced mellow side effects while adjusting (lethargy, drowsiness) which only lasted for about 3 weeks. Cons: Significant rebound depression if I miss a dose, insomnia if taken at night (it's a stimulant), occasional bouts of depression (it hasn't been a complete fix). Sometimes I'll get really bad brain fog if I mistime dose."

hmmmcan'tthinkofagoodnickname March 30, 2016

"I have been on this medication for about 2 weeks now. I had some bad side-effects to the point where I had to stop taking this medication. I rate it a five because I feel like it had the potential to be a good medication - regardless of the side-effects I experienced."

Nvoug (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

"I was diagnosed with B.E.D, P.T.S.D, and Depression. My doctor put me on this medication about a week ago and I feel so much better! I have tried a lot of other anti-depressants and none of them have ever worked for me. They would make me sleep more (and usually I sleep like 14-16 hours a day anyway) and just feel emotionally numb. I am currently sleeping 8 hours a night and waking up feeling energized. It has also helped with the B.E.D. Yesterday was my first day not having the issues I usually have with food. I seen some comments that say the person felt good for a while and then in wore off. I am currently on 150MG and on Monday I will increase to 300MG. I will comment again when I have been on it for a few months :)"

Isuelde March 12, 2016

"I have been diagnosed with GAD, SAD, and depression. Before Wellbutrin I had only tried SSRI's like cymbalta and lexapro; they were TERRIBLE. I have gone untreated before trying those meds and they did nothing for my depression, just made me feel emotionally numb. The first 3 months on wellbutrin were terrible too, huge panic attacks all the time and my anxiety worsened. Now, this is my 6th month and I can proudly say that it is working!!! Compared to my pre-medicated self, I have more energy and am actually able to follow through with activities I wouldn't have thought of doing before. Most importantly, I'm finally not depressed!!! It took away that really tough barrier depression had on me that prevented me from enjoying my life."

Alittlenutty (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2016

"Did not help me. Made me feel extremely tired to the point I was falling asleep while driving and during class (which wasn't like me, because I'm also on Vyvanse (A stimulant)) Went off it quickly."

marbelt (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

"At first it seemed to help a lot. My depression lightened up, I felt motivated to do daily things. Cook clean and hobbies I like. But then I felt suicidal thoughts ran rampant and it was scary. I knew that u had to stop taking this medication so I did."

Elephantasis (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2016

"It helped me feel better, lose a bit of weight and stop smoking much better for me than SSRIs"

ceve1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2016

"I started yesterday was lil nervous but took my first pill at 3 pm about 1 hr. Later I was soooo tired I past out woke up at 5pm. My husband just got home from work usually dinner is ready he understands what I'm dealing with so he said rest omg I fell asleep till 7pm had the strangest dream & I decided to take it tonight trying to get a feel for best time to take it, right now I feel like I'm walking threw strobe light tunnel almost feel like I don't know what the hell in doing, not hungry at all just feel zombie out but this is new to me"

Nikki-ram79 (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016