User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Wellbutrin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

"I experienced most of the side effects, thankfully I didn’t have a seizure. I’ve been off a few days and still having side effects. Made my heart race, chest hurt, chest pressure, dry mouth, and forgetting everything. This medicine DID however help my depressed laziness. I had the get up and go and wanted this med to work because it gave me that. My chest still feels like a hippo is sitting on it."

NotAhappyCamper (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"Didn't do anything even at 300 mg...a complete placebo. Initial side effects of alertness and appetite suppression were nice, but wore off after a week or two and became a placebo."

Dantheman93 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2018

"On Day 3 I had a grand mal seizure and woke to the fire depart working on me, plus lost driving licence for year. Was not impressed now I have more problems"

Big daddy (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

"I want to preface this by saying that I'm sure this drug has a different effect on everyone. This is only my experience. I started it 14 days ago and had to stop this morning. This is a very powerful medication. I didn't notice the medication for 5 days and my depression suddenly became significantly worse. My short term memory has also been effected. I will forget something that I did seconds earlier. I noticed that my hearing became much more sensitive and everything became very loud. I still feel like I'm in a cloud. I understand that it will take 24 to 48 hours or more to finally get out of my system. Oh, you won't sleep either. Maybe some positive effects of the medication would have appeared if I had stayed on longer. I couldn't take it any more. I hope that your experience isn't like this and that you can get some help. Us this medication with caution."

PF (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

"First off I really don't know why my therapist insisted that I start this medication. I had some depression but this was primarily do to situations in my life NOT due to a chemical imbalance. I have never experience depression before and my family has no history of depression. When I first took this medication I had a major headache and this was my first in about three years. My therapist said this would pass and it did. I went for my regular workout and I felt a bit more sore than usual afterwards but dismissed it. I woke up in the middle of the night due to severe muscle/tendon pain and had to take Acetaminophen to get to sleep. My therapist said the pain would go away and it did. At least until my next workout. During the night I must have woken up about 5 times I was in such pain. Got off the medication and in about 2 weeks the muscle/joint pain was gone. If you are on this medication you cannot work out, even though studies show exercise helps with depression."

Anna Mouse (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2018

"I tried it many times. The first 5 times, I got that stoned feeling. I mean stoned for days. As long as I was on it, I was stoned. Finally, I tried it and it didn't make me stoned. I was grateful. Turns out that if my cortisol was already low, I didn't get stoned. Found out the hard way that it also lowers cortisol so I couldn't get off my chair for weeks and couldn't figure out why until I realized it was the wellbutrin. But, it did make me a bit happier so I will have to try something else that is similar."

loveydovey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2018

"Took it in 2005, it was awful. I thought I was gonna lose my mind. Outbursts of anger, panic attacks, sex drive through the roof (that was nice though). I had to quit. Remeron was perfect. Taking it now, it's great. I'm focused, no anxiety, I'm calm and lots of energy. What's the difference? I think in 2005 I was burned out by stress and anxiety, I needed to slow down, Remeron worked. Now I'm depressed and slow, don't wanna do anything, no energy and can't focus. Wellbutrin feels right."

WhatAboutBob (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"Closing on 21 years with Wellbutrin. My depression has always been treatable, but a high dosages. Started with Pamelor after a lifetime of depression, worked up to 100 mg and it worked well; kicked-in in about four weeks. It also lowered my blood pressure about 20 points, which made standing up problematic. I was next switched to Wellbutrin, but not enough as it turned out. The dosage prescribed worked up to 300 mg . This dose left me on edge, and I switched again after 4 months. Then to Zoloft, 150 mg. This worked well also, but the sexual side effects were manifested after 5 months and totally unacceptable. I then switched back to Wellbutrin again, to mitigate the Zoloft side effects, but worked up to 450 mg, the maximum non-clinical dosage. But there is a cost. Now I am also being treated for high blood pressure and high cholesterol, both common side effects of Wellbutrin but worth it for the mood stability."

Rico Verde February 22, 2018

"A few days after starting this meds, I had the overwhelming feeling of really dark depression"

Lunchlady67 February 21, 2018

"I've been depressed since the age of 10. Been on all the usual depression meds. Nothing has really helped. Now at age 62 I'm sick of living this way and psych asked me what I wanted to try that I hadn't already and I said Wellbutrin. I have read that it doesn't cause weight gain and maybe it would give me some energy. So I'm on day three. No side effects yet. No nothing yet. If this doesn't work I don't know what to do!"

Knitshappy February 15, 2018

"Awfull!"

likîili February 5, 2018

"Started bupropion XR 150 for depression and ADD. Took it once in the morning at 8:00 am for only two days. On the first day got very sleepy two hours after taking it, I got a mild headache and very sleepy at night, slept ok crazy dreams. Second day no headache, felt no energy but just drive to do whatever needed to be done through the day, dishes, laundry, etc. second night I began to itch. My arms, back, top of head and noticed my asthma started to flare up. So I decided to discontinue use in fear of allergic reaction. Did not want to have a major reaction or get the welts and worse rashes I’ve heard of. So far took last dose on a Thursday and today is Monday so 4 days off. No major withdrawals or signs but I just feel really good as the days go on. Did the two days knock my brain out of depression? Hopefully I can add more comments in a few days to see what happens within the next week and so forth."

LadyB2387 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

"On for 2 days @ 150mg. So far so good. No need to nap at 2:30pm. Alert and functioning as an adult. Getting a lot done now. No crazy alcohol side affects. Had 5 strong beers the other night with no ill effects. Will see how it goes. "

snerk2000 (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2018

"This drug has helped my anxiety and depression. It has also made cravings for cocaine, alcohol and marijuana obsolete. A welcomed unexpected side effect."

WindyBean (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2018

"Don't look at the rating, I just started taking this medicine. I have horrible side effects (increased gender dysphoria, depression, extreme anxiety and panic attacks, etc). I know they will go away, but it's my first strong antidepressant. Please talk to your doctor about the side effects and how to deal with them. Also I would highly recommend talking to a therapist before getting on this."

Wincenty January 20, 2018

"I recently started 150 mg of Wellbutran for depression after a successful treatment using nardill (MAOI). Nardill was working for a year or so then nothing. After being off of nardill my doctor who I know for over 30 years asked if want to try Wellbutran again and I agreed. I am on my first day. I also take dextroamphetamine for adhd I hope to get good effect from the Wellbutran."

Rallysport13 January 13, 2018

"This meds really change my life. I've always suffer from a mild depression associated with high anxiety. For years I had been on ADHD Medicine (Ritalin, Vyvanse, Adderall, Concerta, Dexetrine) I have tried them all. When I started wellbutrin, 2 months ago I really felt my anxiety drop in a matter of weeks. I did not need to take my ADHD treatment since wellbutrin help me staying focus. I would definitely recommend for people my mild depression and trouble focusing."

MaxUSA (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2018

"If you suffer from anxiety, racing uncontrollable thoughts, high anxious states and basically need a med to calm you down and get your thoughts under control, I would really talk to my doctor before starting this med. It is very clear that this is a energy producing medication, so for those of us with anxiety - that can be really bad. A common listed side-effect is "Anxiety" & "Anxiousness". Everyone is different, and will have different results to some extent. This is primarily a med for depression - NOT anxiety. So again, be clear to your doctor if you have anxiety with your depression that other choices may be better."

InAndOut (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2018

"I've been taking Celexa , gabapentin and Wellbutrin for the last 2 years. Diagnosed with type 2 bipolar, ADD and dyselexia . I've tried different drugs over the years and the above combination worked fairly well. Then 2 weeks ago I ran out of Wellbutin and lopressor. So between the 2 it was hard to get a reading on my mental health. Restarted Wellbutrin after 10 days without still waiting on lopressor. The thing I've noticed is a complete lack of interest in anything. Which I'm guessing is what causes some people to feel suicidal. Not feeling that way now, however I know the feeling."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 25, 2017

"I have been on multiple SSRIS, SNRIS, even Buspar & ativan. Wellbutrin is AMAZING for depression & lack of concentration. Takes a bit of time to notice effects, but hang in there it’s worth it! I have so much energy due to Wellbutrin SR. No complaints unlike many of the other antidepressants I have been prescribed. Highly recommend Wellbutrin to anyone who has had no luck with others antidepressants."

Annie_92x December 22, 2017

"It's helping to regulate my appetite, i.e decrease it which was increased severely from Seroquel and Zoloft.I have SO much energy and better able to cope with anxiety and down moods. I am currently still up a 4:35am doing work and smiling, took one around 11 pm after a very stressful home situation"

quillla (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2017

"This drug does work, I have never been on anything else. My mood swings are gone, as well as curb my sadness. Lost weight, a good thing, lost half my hair, no kidding, a bad thing. Now I'm torn between thin hair and happy, or hair back and depressed."

Jets4me (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 15, 2017

"I am a 21 year old female. I have struggled with depression, anxiety, addiction (food, substances). These issues came to fruition when I went into my first year of college. I left HS as an honor student & went into college failing classes and unable stay on track. I had lots of self pity, mood swings, and slept all the time. I took sertraline for years, but it didn't give me that motivation I needed. It reduced my anxiety but really didn't help the depression. I started Bupropion XL and things have changed immensely. I'm doing well in nursing school, and I feel much steadier. I have my bad days, but they aren't controlling my life anymore. I do get anxious, but the pros outweigh the cons for me. I also can't drink much (which a good thing)"

Jaden Marie December 14, 2017

"Every time my wife is prescribed this med she becomes aggressive and ignores facts. She stops interacting with me and seeks distance. This poison is ruining a 40 year marriage and destroying our family. When she stops taking it she slowly returns to her normally self but her Dr. convinces her she needs it and the cycle starts all over again. Bad drug for some."

Loving husband (taken for 10 years or more) November 29, 2017

"The first few days while taking Wellbutrin,which is not really recommended for anxiety but doc recommended giving it a try, were not too bad. Around week 2 I began to notice I was miserable, angry all the time, and just not feeling like myself! I am usually a happy person that laughs alot and enjoys making others laugh! Wellbutrin changed all that! I was now a bitter and angry person that found fault with everything! I wasn't sleeping well, had slight headaches everyday and my head felt cloudy and foggy all the time! I wasn't able to concentrate which made it difficult for me to function properly at work. I was no longer the happy,silly person I used to be! This drug totally changed my personality!"

Sqyrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2017