User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Wellbutrin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

"I have been on Wellbutrin immediate release for over 20 years. It has been a lifesaver for me. The second day I took it, I thought this is what it feels like to be normal. Yes, I had to adjust to side effects but it was worth it to me as it changed my life. Zoloft was added for side effects, and here I am 20 years later -- functioning and happy with a few exceptions. Why is the original name brand no longer available? None of the generics have worked as well. Insurance keeps changing the manufacturers I can use so its always a new experiment. Not good. Where is the original? How and why did this happen?"

Dora (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2018

"This medicine saved my life. I have been on 300 mg for a few months now and I feel like me again! A couple years ago my son was diagnosed with cancer, he beat it, but the fight left me as an empty shell. I didn’t even realize how bad I was struggling just to make it through the day. When I first started Wellbutrin, I thought I had made a mistake, but my husband and I agreed that it would be best to give it a chance. After about 4-5 weeks, everything suddenly seemed better. I have energy, I’m sleeping well, I wake up early and feel rested, my libido is back, and I lost about 10lbs of the weight I put on while my son was sick. I am not just feeling better, I am genuinely enjoying my life. I’m happy, my husband is happy, and life is good. I’m so glad I stuck with it."

Justme (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2018

"Helps during depression. However, makes one irritable and somewhat irrational."

Plmulhol (taken for 10 years or more) July 25, 2018

"I went on this medication for some low motivation. Within a few days, I had more energy and felt like I had a lot more motivation. It took me a VERY long time to adjust. Honestly, I was on it for 3 months and I'm not sure I ever did adjust. I got the shakes, twitched a lot (while awake and in my sleep), and constantly felt full of nervous energy. I had trouble sleeping, and couldn't reach orgasm (I'm a woman). I know this drug is used to treat sexual side effects of SSRI's, but that's what it did to me. It actually made me more depressed to be on this medication. I also got awful brain fog where I'd forget what I was saying in the middle of a conversation. I felt like an idiot! Everyone is different, and I know people who have benefitted from Wellbutrin. This is just my experience. I went off of it and already feel much better."

Me1111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2018

"I have had depression for as long as I can remember. My depression tends to be more physical: tired, trouble staying asleep, physically exhausted, and no interest in doing anything physical (e.g., I was an avid runner and weight lifter before). Wellbutrin XL 150mg has completely helped me in every way possible. I’ve been taking it for over a 2 yrs and I have more energy than ever. Although I still have depressive and anxiety cognitive patterns, Wellbutrin can has helped me with my depression and increased my quality of like significantly."

GermanS (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 16, 2018

"I've been on 300mg doses of a Bupropion (Wellbutrin) off and on for a few years now mostly because I'm undisciplined and would get out of the habit of taking them. What I have noticed is that initially when starting to take the meds, the first week or two I feel GREAT; energized, focused, motivated, happy. After a few weeks and meds have fully built up in my system (Wellbutrin is a slow build medication, so don't expect full effect until about 2 weeks in), I start to feel tired, unmotivated, hard to focus and remember complex skill sets I am not actively using, pushes my sex drive to a negative, almost addictive state. I too have very vivid and extensive dreams during the first week and then it tappers away, no weight change and general sex drive is unaffected until a few weeks in when it seems to get compulsive, but I think that's another issue with me in general that it happens to prey upon."

HazyHead July 6, 2018

"I’m female, 62 and have been on 150mg/day for over two years; I quit smoking after 40 years and quit taking this - that was a mistake!! I’ve always had some depression but didn’t take anything for it (except that I tried sertaline for a few months though.) Anyway once I got off of it I started smoking again for a month, then threw them down and got back on the Wellbutrin; that was 16 months ago. The only side effects I’ve noticed is that my cholesterol levels are going up but I am trying to control that by my diet. I don’t like taking pills but this one is the only one I take besides vitamins. It helped me quit smoking, (when Chantix made me nauseous) so two thumbs up!!"

Still Not Smoking (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2018

"I was suffering from adjustment disorder mixed anxiety and depression. I’ve dealt with anxiety before— but a life transition triggered a massive downward spiral filled with panic, sleeplessness (yet still too much sleep), decreased focus, extreme apathy, no motivation, suicidal thoughts, unrealistic fears, etc. PCP suggested Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, I desperately agreed. I felt like medication was my last hope. Within 2 weeks, I felt like I was able to function (improved motivation). Within a month, my anxiety and other symptoms were under control. I experienced side effects for the first week— headache, some impulsivity. And for the first month, my sleep schedule was disturbed (I tried moving the time I took Wellbutrin... sometimes it helped, but the side effect was gone by month 2 anyway). Wellbutrin saved my life. I’ve been on Wellbutrin for 4 months now. It doesn’t fix everything of course, but it really helps me combined with healthy coping and CBT."

Kate May 26, 2018

"I was on Prozac 20 mg and because it made me feel so good, I would just stop taking them on my own accord which made me crash. I decided instead of taking them seriously and continue taking them, I would try Wellbutrin. The first two weeks were awful. I had ringing in my ears to the point where I wish I was deaf, My body was incredibly sore for no physical reason, I felt huge pressure and anxiety in my chest, I stopped working out, and didn't want to do anything but lay in bed and watch Netflix which is so not me. I am now 3-4 weeks in and I don't have much anxiety BUT I feel like I developed OCD, I can't stop cutting the tip of my tongue on my teeth and it hurts. My mouth is so dry, I can't even put on eyeliner because it's like I have Parkinsons disease. I am going to switch back to prozac today."

KADEZKO May 23, 2018

"I have been on this for about a month now. I'm taking it for depression and to quit smoking. I feel totally amazing, it's like a dark cloud was lifted off me. I'm also on a maintenance medication for using opioids. The maintenance medicine completely killed my sex drive. It almost ruined my marriage. Now adding this to my meds has reversed all side effects from the maintenance meds. It took a while to start making it better, but now I'm back to the sexy living woman I used to be. Not to mention how great I feel again. I'm me all the way around again. Thank you!!!!"

Chrystal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2018

"My second go around since 2010. I have anxiety at 60 yrs. old and wake up thinking about work of all things. Biggest issue is that I have no focus, really aggravating to stay on task at work. So far it seems to give me a bit of a jump and my senses are heightened more, like the ringing in my ears."

AKA HITMAN April 13, 2018

"I experienced most of the side effects, thankfully I didn’t have a seizure. I’ve been off a few days and still having side effects. Made my heart race, chest hurt, chest pressure, dry mouth, and forgetting everything. This medicine DID however help my depressed laziness. I had the get up and go and wanted this med to work because it gave me that. My chest still feels like a hippo is sitting on it."

NotAhappyCamper (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"Didn't do anything even at 300 mg...a complete placebo. Initial side effects of alertness and appetite suppression were nice, but wore off after a week or two and became a placebo."

Dantheman93 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2018

"On Day 3 I had a grand mal seizure and woke to the fire depart working on me, plus lost driving licence for year. Was not impressed now I have more problems"

Big daddy (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

"I want to preface this by saying that I'm sure this drug has a different effect on everyone. This is only my experience. I started it 14 days ago and had to stop this morning. This is a very powerful medication. I didn't notice the medication for 5 days and my depression suddenly became significantly worse. My short term memory has also been effected. I will forget something that I did seconds earlier. I noticed that my hearing became much more sensitive and everything became very loud. I still feel like I'm in a cloud. I understand that it will take 24 to 48 hours or more to finally get out of my system. Oh, you won't sleep either. Maybe some positive effects of the medication would have appeared if I had stayed on longer. I couldn't take it any more. I hope that your experience isn't like this and that you can get some help. Us this medication with caution."

PF (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

"First off I really don't know why my therapist insisted that I start this medication. I had some depression but this was primarily do to situations in my life NOT due to a chemical imbalance. I have never experience depression before and my family has no history of depression. When I first took this medication I had a major headache and this was my first in about three years. My therapist said this would pass and it did. I went for my regular workout and I felt a bit more sore than usual afterwards but dismissed it. I woke up in the middle of the night due to severe muscle/tendon pain and had to take Acetaminophen to get to sleep. My therapist said the pain would go away and it did. At least until my next workout. During the night I must have woken up about 5 times I was in such pain. Got off the medication and in about 2 weeks the muscle/joint pain was gone. If you are on this medication you cannot work out, even though studies show exercise helps with depression."

Anna Mouse (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2018

"I tried it many times. The first 5 times, I got that stoned feeling. I mean stoned for days. As long as I was on it, I was stoned. Finally, I tried it and it didn't make me stoned. I was grateful. Turns out that if my cortisol was already low, I didn't get stoned. Found out the hard way that it also lowers cortisol so I couldn't get off my chair for weeks and couldn't figure out why until I realized it was the wellbutrin. But, it did make me a bit happier so I will have to try something else that is similar."

loveydovey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2018

"Took it in 2005, it was awful. I thought I was gonna lose my mind. Outbursts of anger, panic attacks, sex drive through the roof (that was nice though). I had to quit. Remeron was perfect. Taking it now, it's great. I'm focused, no anxiety, I'm calm and lots of energy. What's the difference? I think in 2005 I was burned out by stress and anxiety, I needed to slow down, Remeron worked. Now I'm depressed and slow, don't wanna do anything, no energy and can't focus. Wellbutrin feels right."

WhatAboutBob (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"Closing on 21 years with Wellbutrin. My depression has always been treatable, but a high dosages. Started with Pamelor after a lifetime of depression, worked up to 100 mg and it worked well; kicked-in in about four weeks. It also lowered my blood pressure about 20 points, which made standing up problematic. I was next switched to Wellbutrin, but not enough as it turned out. The dosage prescribed worked up to 300 mg . This dose left me on edge, and I switched again after 4 months. Then to Zoloft, 150 mg. This worked well also, but the sexual side effects were manifested after 5 months and totally unacceptable. I then switched back to Wellbutrin again, to mitigate the Zoloft side effects, but worked up to 450 mg, the maximum non-clinical dosage. But there is a cost. Now I am also being treated for high blood pressure and high cholesterol, both common side effects of Wellbutrin but worth it for the mood stability."

Rico Verde February 22, 2018

"A few days after starting this meds, I had the overwhelming feeling of really dark depression"

Lunchlady67 February 21, 2018

"I've been depressed since the age of 10. Been on all the usual depression meds. Nothing has really helped. Now at age 62 I'm sick of living this way and psych asked me what I wanted to try that I hadn't already and I said Wellbutrin. I have read that it doesn't cause weight gain and maybe it would give me some energy. So I'm on day three. No side effects yet. No nothing yet. If this doesn't work I don't know what to do!"

Knitshappy February 15, 2018

"Awfull!"

likîili February 5, 2018

"Started bupropion XR 150 for depression and ADD. Took it once in the morning at 8:00 am for only two days. On the first day got very sleepy two hours after taking it, I got a mild headache and very sleepy at night, slept ok crazy dreams. Second day no headache, felt no energy but just drive to do whatever needed to be done through the day, dishes, laundry, etc. second night I began to itch. My arms, back, top of head and noticed my asthma started to flare up. So I decided to discontinue use in fear of allergic reaction. Did not want to have a major reaction or get the welts and worse rashes I’ve heard of. So far took last dose on a Thursday and today is Monday so 4 days off. No major withdrawals or signs but I just feel really good as the days go on. Did the two days knock my brain out of depression? Hopefully I can add more comments in a few days to see what happens within the next week and so forth."

LadyB2387 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

"On for 2 days @ 150mg. So far so good. No need to nap at 2:30pm. Alert and functioning as an adult. Getting a lot done now. No crazy alcohol side affects. Had 5 strong beers the other night with no ill effects. Will see how it goes. "

snerk2000 (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2018

"This drug has helped my anxiety and depression. It has also made cravings for cocaine, alcohol and marijuana obsolete. A welcomed unexpected side effect."

WindyBean (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2018