User Reviews for Wellbutrin

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

"Amazing, it has absolutely changed my life, from the first day I started it. My smoking has decreased drastically. I am highly motivated to do everything I need to do in a day. I am thinking clear, I haven't had a single nap since taking it! A life changing pill for me!!"

Sarah padilla September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Best antidepressant I've ever taken bar none. I have been taking Wellbutrin for over 10 years and even though I've had the dosage adjusted over time, it has worked wonders. The reasons I like it is no weight gain, doesn't zap my energy, and helps me complete tasks. The only down side I have found is that it will keep me awake at night if I take it after 10am. I do take the generic version."

Nellie12345 (taken for 10 years or more) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had major depression twice in my life. Each time I took wellbutrin in conjunction with talk therapy in order to feel well. I think the side effects you may feel may depend upon your own chemical makeup as I had no noticeable side effects at all and made complete recoveries. It's always said that any side effects will subside but if they're major ( ie intense stomach pain trying to take paxill ) you should switch to another medication. There are so many available you need not suffer. I can tell you from my experience that as hard as it might be you have to work at feeling better and never forget despite how you feel you will continually improve and will feel well. Write that down and look at it everyday so hope never fades."

Try Harder September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Bipolar 2 & was on Wellbutrin for about 7 years. It dug me out of a deep depression in the beginning. It caused A LOT of anxiety but I didn't want to get off of it so Lexapro was added to my regiment. Lexapro helped with some of the anxiety caused by Wellbutrin but I'm pretty sure now that Wellbutrin has made me more susceptible to manic episodes. Recently, I started seeing a new psychiatrist & I was ready for a change. He convinced me to finally get off wellbutrin & I have never felt better. I feel so much more relaxed. I'm currently on Lamictal, Vyvanse, & Lexapro. I'm sure wellbutrin works well for others but it wasn't a great fit for BP for me personally. It dug me out of a big hole at one time so it works well with depression. Doesn't hurt to try it."

BP Chick August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I finally decided to deal with my inability to focus and concentrate on important daily activities. Although never medically diagnosed with any disorder I would describe myself as having ADD and it's led to not being able to stick with anything for extended because I would get bored, or easily distracted by other opportunities, or simply unable to complete anything fully. So you can imagine how all this would impact relationships, work, and just life in general. So far, it's been great. I now feel motivated to complete activities. I am more focused and able to suppress distractions and prioritize better. I think it's a good medication. May not work for all as I imagine each person is different. But it's definitely working for me."

TEEb (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has saved my life! I have struggled with methamphetamine addiction for about 4 years now. The hardest part about quitting was the extreme depression and suicidal thoughts. They always caused me to relapse. My physician prescribed wellbutrin and it has worked like a miracle. I have been clean for over half a year and feel like I have my old life back! My relationships are healing and my family feels like they have their son/brother back. I am back in college and passing my classes! I don't attribute all that to the drug. Counseling and AA were extremely helpful but I know it was Wellbutrin that got me through the horrible depression to the other side. Only upfront side effects I had were jitteriness and dry mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My depressive thoughts and ideation increased a lot within 2 weeks of starting. I called my Dr and tapered the dosage and they ordered extra small doses so my body would not be shocked. If you feel like you are having increased depression daily after starting this medication please contact your medical team and ask to taper off."

Vanilla mermaid (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started today lets see if it works. I have taken several different depression medicines since 2007. So I will rate this drug weekly."

Tinaos June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I switched to Wellbutrin after a year of Zoloft mostly due to weight gain (I'd gained about 20 lbs. in a year). I started taking Wellbutrin 2x a day with a plan to eventually increase to extended release but the meds kept me up all night. I got maybe 4 hours of sleep a night even with Zzzquil. My sleep was extremely restless and I woke up about every hour. I called my doctor and asked if I could switch to the extended release version but she said it would probably be the same situation. I did like how the meds made me feel. Very little depression and I felt super energized and productive. Honestly I was almost too wired; I was very jittery and almost a bit manic."

cisuggs (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wellbutrin is absolutely miraculous for me. The last nine months of my life, through which I’ve been taking Wellbutrin, were the best. I used to have dysthymia, apart from occasional episodes of major depressive disorder, and Wellbutrin put an end to both. The only side effect I noticed is a rise in my blood pressure (hence 9/10 instead of 10/10), which I’m not entirely sure I should attribute to the drug. But I’m young and my blood pressure used to be very low, so I am fine with that. I plan on continuing to take Wellbutrin, until someone stops me!"

Meg555 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love this medicine when I'm awake but it gives me the most lucid crazy dreams at night. When I wake up and try to go back to sleep my mind is crazy , thinking crazy scenarios. I wish I could take it for depression and smoking but the night time effect aren't worth it. So disappointed."

Anonymous May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Wellbutrin SR prescribed off label for major depressive disorder for about 3 years now. Initially I had the same kind of side effects that are common such as headache, some anxiety and difficulty sleeping. The side effects diminished and pretty much went away after about a month, and I take my second dose at midday so that it doesn't impact my sleep. Overall, this medication has made a huge difference to my quality of life, and has stopped me experiencing cripplingly low moods and huge rapid mood swings and it continues to work as well now as it did at the start of treatment. It has also helped me to focus and concentrate on a task in a way that I found hard before. My main concern has been the impact on short term memory."

Mousedad (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took it for 6 months, it didn't help me with my depression at all and gave me even sadder thoughts"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wanted to put up my experience with Wellbutrin, because some people may have the same issues that I had with the drug. In the onset of taking Wellbutrin, I had, each time, slight to severe anxiety and almost worsening of symptoms, in proportion to how hefty of a dosage I started off with. Long story short, I'm never getting off of it again, BUT if someone is trying to get on wellbutrin and is having awful anxiety and no sleep or appetite like I did.... you might ask your doctor if you can take a small dosage and taper up. I literally started with 18.5mg and I still had a few symptoms from that, but I could also feel improvement at the same time. I increased by 18.5 more each 3-7 days. I'm not on 300's and knock on wood, my life is back."

beautiustree May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Seems to be helping after the sudden loss of my son."

Discodana (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 150 mg of the generic of Wellbutrin for the past month. I can't believe how amazing I feel! After dealing with depression for the past 4-5 years I finally feel like myself again. I was diagnosed with PMDD and mild depression but tried to deal both of these with Prozac and hormone birth control. After three months of Prozac I quit. It made me tired and took away my libido. It didn't help my depression at all. I've tried three different birth controls (I'm 46...it wasn't for birth control, just to try to help my hormone levels.) Nothing helped my depression. Finally my Dr. prescribed Wellbutin. I filled it but didn't take it for 8 months because I was afraid of the of the side effects. Now I could just kick myself!"

Caro70 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was feeling very depressed this winter. A combination of SAD and life. I was irritable, unmotivated, unsociable, negative and sad. I could hardly recognize myself. I was nervous to try an anti depressant as I'd heard weight gain an loss of sex drive were often side affects. That would've depressed me more! But my doctor said that Wellbutrin was often referred to as the skinny sexy pill. Now that made it sound a whole lot better. I know it seems hard to believe, but day three I felt like a weight had lifted...not sure if it can work that fast but I was able to jump out of bed and feel motivated. My appetite has decreased, I'm happy, my libido is still as good as ever and I have experienced 0 side effects Luv it!"

Happyagain:-) March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I've been on Wellbutrin for about 6 weeks now. At first everything was great. I felt good, slept well and seemed content. That is until a couple weeks ago. I noticed that things I used to just brush off have really started to bother me. I am crying a lot and the latest has been nausea and acid stomach. I hardly want to eat. I can't think of anything else but the medication that is causing all of this to happen. I'm calling the dr tomorrow to get off this and go back to what I was on before. The reason I switched is because weight gain. Sure Wellbutrin has caused me to lose some weight, but that's because I can hardly eat! I'm glad it's working for some. Just not me. "

Not fun (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi there I wanted to share with the ones that have dry mouth with this I also did if you go to walmart and go to the toothpaste isle find the tooth paste I believe it was called dry mouth in a blue package I used it once and it helped my dry mouth same day and other was able to use my regular toothpaste for a couple weeks before having to brush again with dry mouth tooth paste air wanted to share this because the dry mouth is what almost caused me to stop taking welbutrin but it works so great for me I wanted to try everything possible first:) really hope this helps also if you don't have insurance good rx will decrease the cost tremendously :)"

Momma3boys5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Unfortunately this medication did not work out well for me at all. I was on 150mg of Wellbutrin a generic SR version. In the first week I took the medicine first thing in the morning as directed (for me that's about 7a.m.), and the rest of the day I had intense/severe headaches. Mind you, I already take medication daily for migraines because I'm a chronic sufferer, and my migraine medication was being blown out of the water! I felt like I had several ice picks in my head. The other issue I noticed immediately was that I was having an extremely difficult time sleeping and if I did fall asleep I'd have very vivid and awful nightmares. Other apparently issues were having memory loss and abnormal behavior. Not for me!!!"

MyExperience101 (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wellbutrin worked very effectively in treating my depression. It lifted me out of a major depression I had been in for years. However, I am facing an issue because while Wellbutrin is great for treating my depression, the side effects are terrible. I am having excessive sweating all the time and extreme dry mouth. The dry mouth is causing bad breath and cavities. I am doing everything I can to combat the dry mouth and sweating with no avail. I was told the side effects will diminish over time but it has been over a year and the side effects aren't any better. Does anyone know of effective ways to combat the side effects?"

Anonymous February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trying to get this medication from my Pharmacy because it works so well but I'm not able to because it cost $1,900 and I'm so sick and tired of getting the runaround"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm gaining weight anyone else experiencing this?"

Maltisue February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This has become my miracle medicine. Some days I wonder if it's too good to be true!! I've battled depression and anxiety on and off for years. My doctors over the years kept giving me different SSRIs and those made me like a zombie barely able to get out of bed. With a toddler that's just not an option! I've been on it for about 6 weeks now and let me tell you the benefits: I'm HAPPY - like I have a desire to move and do things as opposed to sitting on the couch after work not wanting to do a thing until bedtime. It's almost like I'm on speed. I'm SO productive at work and home. I'm sleeping better - I was worried it would keep me awake but nope. Sex drive thru the roof. I've lost 10 lbs so far from suppressed appetite and working out!"

Sara987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication really blows. It is like I'm not even on anything. If anything it makes me or irritated/jumpy. I am taking 150mg 2x a day. I switched to this from Celexa, because Celexa was making me extremely forgetful, but other than that Celexa was actually working. I have anxiety and depression and this stuff does absolutely nothing. I'm going to my doctor Monday to switch to something else."

AmberLynnxX (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017