User Reviews for Wellbutrin (Page 4)

Wellbutrin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin to treat Depression

"DO NOT MISS A DOSE IF YOU TAKE THIS MEDICATION! I literally forgot to take one pill this afternoon of my Wellbutrin and now I feel absolutely MISERABLE. I have been crying for the past four hours nonstop, feel so much grief and self hatred, and am having suicidal thoughts. I've never been this bad before and I attribute it to missing one pill. I'm really scared of how missing just one pill has so much of an effect on me."

Lauren23232323 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

"I'm suffering friom depression and anxiety. It's been a week that I'm on welbutrin 150 xl , I feel a difference. I feel I'm more sociable and happier. More energy, lost my appetite and it seems I'm losing weight. Which is a good part of the drug."

Nb2003 November 20, 2016

"I tried for 2 yrs after a major life change to get my life back. All the snri's and ssri's gave me the worst side effects and I became more depressed dizzy migraines and suicidal. This wasnt me and every doctor wrote me off as being a bad patient. I was ready to throw in the towel and tried a low dose of wellbutrin and OMG. 2 months later I was completely myself and 6 mos later im medication free. Dont give up keep trying. I thought my life was over and was a difficult patient. Dont let message boards or doctors rule your life. If something isnt working dont stay on it!"

JIC (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2016

"I started on Lexapro which worked at first for me, then a month later made me feel like a zombie because I was so drowsy so my doctor started me on 200mg of Wellbutrin a day. The first few days were fine and then after about a week the crazy suicidal thoughts started. Then came the mood swings and short fuze. After 2 weeks of this medication I couldnt stand anyone around me or even myself. I didnt want to be talked to or even looked at I felt depressed, life wasn't worth anything. So, my doctor changed me to Prozac 20mg and so far seems to be a good fit."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

"I think I've been suffering from seasonal disorder for most of my adult life. I live in Alaska, the sun comes and goes. It's been 2weeks on WB, and I'm not sure what to think. My anxiety and depression are next to nothing, but I feel like I'm missing something in my brain, if that makes sense. I'm pretty much just doing a routine everyday, but without anger. The wife likes the improvement in my mood, as do the kids. So I'll probably keep taking it to make them happy."

AKFather (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2016

"I am an 18 year old female. I started taking Wellbutrin about 7 months ago for depression/anxiety. Honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference. I think it has helped me control my emotions a bit more though/feel more stable. I've just started my first year of college and I've had a rough time but I think the WB helps keep my meltdowns to a minimum (sort of). I was hoping to lose a bit of weight but I didn't really notice any loss of appetite. I've DEFINITELY noticed that if forget to take it for a day I feel absolutely miserable. Even if I take it a bit off schedule I feel sad for a day. Also, if I drink a bit too much, my hangover is AWFUL and I feel very sad the next day. Keep the drinking to a minimum or don't."

Liz1000 October 30, 2016

"Age 48 and have struggled with depression for years. I have no other MH disorder and had no luck with antidepressants. Prozac increased suicidal ideation and with Zoloft I felt occasional "zapping" in my brain (I have no other way to describe it, but it's happened to others). Finally decided to try Wellbutrin 150 mg QD. I'm mad at myself for not trying it sooner! Now, depressive episodes are very infrequent and last less than 30 minutes. The low is very manageable, however at times when I should be sad, it's like I can't be. I also have tons of energy, when in the past I'd struggle to get out of bed. Unfortunately I haven't had any weight loss. The down side is that I am experiencing some insomnia, but I'd rather that than the alternative."

Monica B October 25, 2016

"Most Antdepressant(AD) medications have been ineffective for me. My primary concern is anxiety with depression being also a concern. Wellbutrin in my experience has been one of the few which isn't aweful. It's honestly no miracle worker and I'm not sure AD's are the way to go. That said if your going to take an AD wellbutrin is well worth trying. I presently take 150mg but 300mg was most effective. Pros: Helpful on sexual side of things, weight-loss, helps a lot with feeling happier. Cons: Little or no effect on anxiety, slight weird feeling (I noted I should be sad yet I'm not. I guess that's it doing it's job.), can cause insomnia (be careful what time you take), not available on PBS (In Aus)."

Ash10105 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2016

"Started post-break-up. Happy now, don't credit meds, but still take WB & never want to stop (unlike Clonaz. & Desipr.) bc other reasons to take. Lost weight, gained energy, desire to be social. Now only anxiety and IBS; the WB counters some sexual side effects of other meds. NOT a morning person, but 450 SR(12hr) right b4 sleep (RIGHT b4 or insomnia)=hop out of bed at alarm. If I take 450 in morning, easy to resist food. Wish I could have both, but splitting dosage or taking XL(24hr) doesn't work. 167lbs 6yrs ago @start, down to125. 3yrs of 130lbs but built-up tolerance, so then 150lbs 2yrs ago. Took @night for months, then back to morning & now 1yr 135lbs. 450mg is max. New dr: split time night & mrng. But that would defeat 1/2 its purpose"

LosingWeight=Antidepressant (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 24, 2016

"I've had depression and anxiety with panics since 2013 and been through many medications that didn't work and finally I get Wellbutrin 150mg lexapro 20 mg and it's amazing I feel back to myself years ago!!! Here it is 2016 when I get the right deal."

Stg76864 September 19, 2016

"I smoked for 48 years. It helped me quit now I'm going to use it for my depression ."

Papal (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2016

"I have little side effects like a headache, but that is due to no appetite from this medication. Ever since I have been on it I feel wonderful again like I used to be. All I would sit around and cry and think I was useless but now that is gone all together. I'm on 200mg and who knows I could have it increased if all goes well. Since I have been on this medication I have lost 14 lbs. I have no appetite so I have to force myself to eat which isn't till like 4 pm. I'm so glad I'm losing weight and not gaining. Who knows it could be a combination with my Lisinopril. I guess everyone is different but give it a try or ask your doctor if you can take it for weight loss, my doctor put me on it for weight loss and depression...Very very happy"

Cyndie endurance (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2016

"I've been on the drug for months, but I noticed the effects of it almost immediately. For the first time I can concentrate for long periods of time, and my motivation has never been better (although it's not always drastic). It has really messed with my appetite by making me not want to eat and getting full really quick, but I feel great and have lost a lot of weight! It hasn't changed my depressive thoughts, but I have way fewer break downs and my mood drops are not nearly as extreme. I love this drug."

Anonymous September 16, 2016

"I was started on WB xl 150mg 8week ago The first couple of weeks I had nausea fogginess and had trouble sleeping this started to taper off at about the four week mark. Last week my doctor increased it to 300mg and I have foggy/dizziness and since I've been on it I've had some abdominal discomfort. Is this normal and will it go away and do you get the side effects again when it has been increased?"

Message September 12, 2016

"So my journey has been two years with depression/anxiety. Had two bouts prior.... the first coming out of nowhere around age 40. The two times I went on a Paxil and in 30 days I was normal. You can only imagine my disbelief when this third bout trying Lexapro, Effexor and Paxil lead to horrible fatigue within a week of each. I just couldn't tolerate the fatigue and there was no relief. Incredible. Went on 100 mg of Wellbutrin despite it increasing my anxiety... requiring Lorazepam. For past year I couldn't tolerate more than 100 mg of W. w/o terrible fatigue. A year later I just got up to 150 mg without fatigue... no relief of depression yet. Also in therapy. Wellbutrin is better than nothing I guess. Not sure what's next."

Fiftiesman (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2016

"I am on day 3 of wellbutrin. I have a special 70mg doseage as in Europe not easily available. I did day 1 and day 2 on 35mg. I just slept all the time and thankfully was the weekend so off work. I felt so great though apart from being zombie. Was hungry alot too. Day 3 - I've taken 35mg morning now my second 35mg at evening. Am wondering will the sleepiness go away? I've tried loads of SSRI'S and SRNI's and just sleep all the time on all of them. Very frustrating as I know lots of people who are on anti depressants and they don't have the zombie affect and it really improves the quality of their lives. Am probably going to have to come off anti depressants as no quality of life with the zombie affect. Any advice be appreciated. :("

SpaceCowGal August 21, 2016

"I've been battling depression for quite a while now. It all started after a cancer diagnosis. I'm currently a survivor but feel extremely depressed after my long time boyfriend left me. I feel extremely lonely without him and couldn't cope with life. I would think about suicide day and night so I realized I needed help and decided to take Wellbutrin. Good thing is that it gave me lots of energy and was able to focus better but the downside was that I couldn't sleep. I'm looking for another medication now."

Morgan12345 August 17, 2016

"I enjoy reading everyone's stories as I search for an answer to my depression and anxiety issues. I think it is important that you state the dose (regular, SR, or XL) and mg you are taking as it makes a difference. I am assuming we are all talking generic as well. My MD psychiatrist will only prescribe the SR and says the XL "is garbage," I was interested in the Xl because of the convenience of taking one a day. My brother, who is year younger and hardwired like me, swears by the 300 XL and says it helps him tremendously. I was trying to sell that to my MD but he was not buying it. Anyways, I have been taking 2 x 150 SR daily and I feel more energized, level headed, with less binge eating. No luck on Celexa, Paxil and Effexor.."

DaddyO/3boyz August 12, 2016

"After 6 days on this pill my family noticed a calmer me. I haven't experience any anxiety episodes but I have noticed I'm a bit foggy and forgetful. I'm sure it's going to take a while before my body gets used to the medication. For the most part I feel like it's doing a positive impact in my life. Also having a harder time to fall asleep hopefully that changes soon."

Marie R. July 31, 2016

"I took bupropion for about two weeks and I didnt like the side effects. I cant sleep and with kids its a big no!. Its been about 2 weeks since I stopped and I wish I didnt. I get anxiety attacks I want to cry!! And dizziness. I will visit my dr soon."

Anonymous July 23, 2016

"Back in Feb I had first started not sleeping well and by the end of that month major depression was in full effect. I tried numerous atypical antidepressants only getting major side effects. I was not inclined to use an SSRI since side effects seem to outweigh some of the positives they offer. Reluctant to give up on medication all together I was still not sleeping major battle with anxiety and insomnia. I decided to try Wellbutrin 150mg XL. Let me clearly explain the first 2 weeks were rough. No sleep think I slept 3 days or so. After the 3rd week I started to see more positive motivation and energy to get through the day. The energy is balanced now and the depressed thoughts and anxiety are in control. I'm just going to week 4... Onward"

Lostinamaze July 15, 2016

"Well after trying Paxil (worked really well but bad sexual side effects) for a couple years, then celexa worked but not as well as Paxil still sexual side effects recently on Prozac worked for depression however sexual side effects made me just not want to even bother. Got a script for Wellbutrin Xl 150mg brand name as I asked for non generic out of pocket cost 11.27 with insurance. Will report back and see how I do. Day one tomorrow. I put a rating of 5 just because of the unknown. Will rate when in full swing."

Macphisto July 12, 2016

"Over years have tried several antidepressants.....in my younger years Prozac, zoloft, Paxil, horrible side effects! Now that I am in my fifties I have been dealing with depression? Menopausal related,stress ,life.....tried natural Sam e and some others with no results but only side effects....Finally started Wellbutin and finally feeling black cloud lifting with No weird side effects....Hopefully continue and feel like my old self again:)"

Alicefay (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2016

"After the failure of 2 bupropion generics & the discontinued manufacturing of the one generic I *could* tolerate, I finally got on the one form of the name-brand Wellbutrin my insurance would cover. It made all the difference in the world. I feel better. My severe mood swings decreased as well as my angry outbursts. I don't mind the 3 pills a day (my generics had been SR); I actually prefer it as it seems the nighttime dose makes it easier to get up in the morning. I am dealing with some constipation, but I have MS and that is a side effect of many of my medications as well as my condition. I was happy and starting to get back on my feet again. BUT....Now they aren't going to make it any more. I have confirmation from GSK. So now what?"

MS Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

"I've been on Wellbutrin for about four weeks to ease my social anxiety issues. I have never taken anti-depressants before so I had no idea what to expect. I'm glad the first week is over because it was very euphoric, which I did not enjoy. I had to take a nap around 4:00 p.m. the first day. The second week was not euphoric at all and I feel back to my old self again. Gratitude all around."

HoloceneSoldier (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016