User Reviews for Wellbutrin (Page 2)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Depression
7.4

Major Depressive Disorder
7.3

Summary of Wellbutrin reviews 7.3 395 reviews

Reviews for Wellbutrin

For Depression "I switched to Wellbutrin after a year of Zoloft mostly due to weight gain (I'd gained about 20 lbs. in a year). I started taking Wellbutrin 2x a day with a plan to eventually increase to extended release but the meds kept me up all night. I got maybe 4 hours of sleep a night even with Zzzquil. My sleep was extremely restless and I woke up about every hour. I called my doctor and asked if I could switch to the extended release version but she said it would probably be the same situation. I did like how the meds made me feel. Very little depression and I felt super energized and productive. Honestly I was almost too wired; I was very jittery and almost a bit manic."

cisuggs (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Wellbutrin is absolutely miraculous for me. The last nine months of my life, through which I’ve been taking Wellbutrin, were the best. I used to have dysthymia, apart from occasional episodes of major depressive disorder, and Wellbutrin put an end to both. The only side effect I noticed is a rise in my blood pressure (hence 9/10 instead of 10/10), which I’m not entirely sure I should attribute to the drug. But I’m young and my blood pressure used to be very low, so I am fine with that. I plan on continuing to take Wellbutrin, until someone stops me!"

Meg555 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I love this medicine when I'm awake but it gives me the most lucid crazy dreams at night. When I wake up and try to go back to sleep my mind is crazy , thinking crazy scenarios. I wish I could take it for depression and smoking but the night time effect aren't worth it. So disappointed."

Anonymous May 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on Wellbutrin SR prescribed off label for major depressive disorder for about 3 years now. Initially I had the same kind of side effects that are common such as headache, some anxiety and difficulty sleeping. The side effects diminished and pretty much went away after about a month, and I take my second dose at midday so that it doesn't impact my sleep. Overall, this medication has made a huge difference to my quality of life, and has stopped me experiencing cripplingly low moods and huge rapid mood swings and it continues to work as well now as it did at the start of treatment. It has also helped me to focus and concentrate on a task in a way that I found hard before. My main concern has been the impact on short term memory."

Mousedad (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I take this drug to help combat Major Depression (had for 1.5 years). I have also tried Paxil (made me crazier), Prozac (did nothing for me) and Effexor (worked well but the sexual side effects were worse than the depression). I started Wellbutrin at 150mg and slowly increased to 300mg by after completely titrating off Effexor, had to increase to 450 because MD came back. SO, here is the deal - at first this drug feels awful (realize that most anti's are like this in the beginning). I had to stick with it for at least a month and the extreme anxiety has always normalized. But OMG - this is the first drug that motivates me to get out of bed and face each day. for me it helps to balance my down mood & 'urge to isolate' and sabotage my day."

StickwithIt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I took it for 6 months, it didn't help me with my depression at all and gave me even sadder thoughts"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I wanted to put up my experience with Wellbutrin, because some people may have the same issues that I had with the drug. In the onset of taking Wellbutrin, I had, each time, slight to severe anxiety and almost worsening of symptoms, in proportion to how hefty of a dosage I started off with. Long story short, I'm never getting off of it again, BUT if someone is trying to get on wellbutrin and is having awful anxiety and no sleep or appetite like I did.... you might ask your doctor if you can take a small dosage and taper up. I literally started with 18.5mg and I still had a few symptoms from that, but I could also feel improvement at the same time. I increased by 18.5 more each 3-7 days. I'm not on 300's and knock on wood, my life is back."

beautiustree May 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Seems to be helping after the sudden loss of my son."

Discodana (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been taking 150 mg of the generic of Wellbutrin for the past month. I can't believe how amazing I feel! After dealing with depression for the past 4-5 years I finally feel like myself again. I was diagnosed with PMDD and mild depression but tried to deal both of these with Prozac and hormone birth control. After three months of Prozac I quit. It made me tired and took away my libido. It didn't help my depression at all. I've tried three different birth controls (I'm 46...it wasn't for birth control, just to try to help my hormone levels.) Nothing helped my depression. Finally my Dr. prescribed Wellbutin. I filled it but didn't take it for 8 months because I was afraid of the of the side effects. Now I could just kick myself!"

Caro70 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was feeling very depressed this winter. A combination of SAD and life. I was irritable, unmotivated, unsociable, negative and sad. I could hardly recognize myself. I was nervous to try an anti depressant as I'd heard weight gain an loss of sex drive were often side affects. That would've depressed me more! But my doctor said that Wellbutrin was often referred to as the skinny sexy pill. Now that made it sound a whole lot better. I know it seems hard to believe, but day three I felt like a weight had lifted...not sure if it can work that fast but I was able to jump out of bed and feel motivated. My appetite has decreased, I'm happy, my libido is still as good as ever and I have experienced 0 side effects Luv it!"

Happyagain:-) March 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Hi, I've been on Wellbutrin for about 6 weeks now. At first everything was great. I felt good, slept well and seemed content. That is until a couple weeks ago. I noticed that things I used to just brush off have really started to bother me. I am crying a lot and the latest has been nausea and acid stomach. I hardly want to eat. I can't think of anything else but the medication that is causing all of this to happen. I'm calling the dr tomorrow to get off this and go back to what I was on before. The reason I switched is because weight gain. Sure Wellbutrin has caused me to lose some weight, but that's because I can hardly eat! I'm glad it's working for some. Just not me. "

Not fun (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Hi there I wanted to share with the ones that have dry mouth with this I also did if you go to walmart and go to the toothpaste isle find the tooth paste I believe it was called dry mouth in a blue package I used it once and it helped my dry mouth same day and other was able to use my regular toothpaste for a couple weeks before having to brush again with dry mouth tooth paste air wanted to share this because the dry mouth is what almost caused me to stop taking welbutrin but it works so great for me I wanted to try everything possible first:) really hope this helps also if you don't have insurance good rx will decrease the cost tremendously :)"

Momma3boys5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Unfortunately this medication did not work out well for me at all. I was on 150mg of Wellbutrin a generic SR version. In the first week I took the medicine first thing in the morning as directed (for me that's about 7a.m.), and the rest of the day I had intense/severe headaches. Mind you, I already take medication daily for migraines because I'm a chronic sufferer, and my migraine medication was being blown out of the water! I felt like I had several ice picks in my head. The other issue I noticed immediately was that I was having an extremely difficult time sleeping and if I did fall asleep I'd have very vivid and awful nightmares. Other apparently issues were having memory loss and abnormal behavior. Not for me!!!"

MyExperience101 (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Wellbutrin worked very effectively in treating my depression. It lifted me out of a major depression I had been in for years. However, I am facing an issue because while Wellbutrin is great for treating my depression, the side effects are terrible. I am having excessive sweating all the time and extreme dry mouth. The dry mouth is causing bad breath and cavities. I am doing everything I can to combat the dry mouth and sweating with no avail. I was told the side effects will diminish over time but it has been over a year and the side effects aren't any better. Does anyone know of effective ways to combat the side effects?"

Anonymous February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Trying to get this medication from my Pharmacy because it works so well but I'm not able to because it cost $1,900 and I'm so sick and tired of getting the runaround"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I'm gaining weight anyone else experiencing this?"

Maltisue February 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This has become my miracle medicine. Some days I wonder if it's too good to be true!! I've battled depression and anxiety on and off for years. My doctors over the years kept giving me different SSRIs and those made me like a zombie barely able to get out of bed. With a toddler that's just not an option! I've been on it for about 6 weeks now and let me tell you the benefits: I'm HAPPY - like I have a desire to move and do things as opposed to sitting on the couch after work not wanting to do a thing until bedtime. It's almost like I'm on speed. I'm SO productive at work and home. I'm sleeping better - I was worried it would keep me awake but nope. Sex drive thru the roof. I've lost 10 lbs so far from suppressed appetite and working out!"

Sara987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medication really blows. It is like I'm not even on anything. If anything it makes me or irritated/jumpy. I am taking 150mg 2x a day. I switched to this from Celexa, because Celexa was making me extremely forgetful, but other than that Celexa was actually working. I have anxiety and depression and this stuff does absolutely nothing. I'm going to my doctor Monday to switch to something else."

AmberLynnxX (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I had experienced a very traumatic event and was prescribed this medication wellbutrin at 150mg for three day then 300mg everyday but at separate times. Within a week I could feel a strange feeling like I couldn't stop thinking about just what I was seeing and how miserable I felt. A few days later I hit the lowest point in life. Soon afterward I was experiencing some suicidal thoughts. Had to take a benzo to relax and it went away. Never taking that again. I was on it only 2 weeks."

Wellbutrin user January 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Tabitha57.... What brand of 150 SR did you take... Mylan, sandoz or Brand name Wellbutrin?"

Rinmoe (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I am a 57 year old breast cancer survivor who has been in excellent shape, trim and happily married. After menopause, I developed insomnia, weight gain and depression. Can no longer take estrogen due to breast cancer, which made me feel tired all the time. Thyroid medicine helped but not enough--No energy and lost interest in doing things. My doctor insisted I try SSRIs such as Lexapro and Zoloft, but had bad side effects. I tried many supplements--not much help. I tried Bupropion HCL SR 150 mg. It worked right away. I take early morning and have energy all day. I did not have side effects (lost 2 pounds! and insomnia if taken after 10 am). Changed my life! Been on it 4 months."

Tabitha 57 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Started taking it and I slept well at night and awoke early around 5 to start my day happily. But come 8 am and I am drowsy and needed to take already two hrs nap. Awake and resume My day with not much difficulties. Than st 2 pm again I needed a nap? So how was I gonna make it to work and my appointments too ? I went cold turkey. Felt much better after that. Only to crash again. I did try other anti depressants including pristique. But I suffered with insomnia with these meds. I know I need to start again but so confused if I should resume welbutrin"

Neemi (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been depressed for quite some years now on and off. I've had my highs and my lows .I decided to talk to my doctor to try out anti depressants even though I was so scared and skeptical .My doctor prescribed me with setraline 50 mg I noticed my energy level increased to a certain extent but after a couple months I noticed no change at all I was just at a 5 out of 10 not going up or down so I decided to change my meds. He then prescribed me bupropion xl 150 mg. The first 3 days were amazing I had an incredible amount of energy . I felt the most normal I hadin a whole year . Soon after , the 6th day came and i felt horrible. Vomiting , headaches, confusion.. & night sweats.. etc"

Sammydee January 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Started Wellbutrin XL at 150 mg once a day to treat depression and anxiety, although was more concerned about depression. The first week I was on it I was absolutely miserable. I did not sleep or eat at all and was crying constantly and I think it definitely worsened my depression. However, I called my doctor and had my dose lowered to 75 mg and not extended release and I immediately felt better. I have been on that dosage for about 6 months now and I feel amazing. I am able to control my emotions so much better and I rarely have meltdowns ( I used to have a complete meltdown anytime anything negative happened to me). I definitely plan on staying on wellbutrin. Would just recommend you make sure you are on the right dose"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been taking Bupropion 1 pill 150mg once a day for anxiety and depression for a month and it hasn't really been working. I feel the same way. The first day I felt that it limited my brain somehow, but that was all. And I find myself not being able to sleep at all at night ever since I started taking it. I've been sleeping 2-3 hours. Maybe I should take a higher dose or change medication."

Angel8888 January 4, 2017