User Reviews for Wellbutrin (Page 2)

Learn more about Wellbutrin.

Major Depressive Disorder 30 reviews 46 medications

7.6
Depression 284 reviews 79 medications

7.5
Summary of Wellbutrin reviews 314 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Wellbutrin

For Depression "I have had episodes of depression throughout my life. I have been on ssri meds off and on. They never seemed to help and side effects were horrible, Tired lack of energy sexual side effects increased anxiety. After my son was born I experienced the worst depression anxiety. After over 3yrs. I finally went to seek help and refused to take ssri meds. They first put me on buspar for anxiety which is a great alternative to other addictive meds. Then they added 150 mg. Welbutrin once in the morning. The first day I felt like I actually woke up for the first time in 3 years, had energy but after a week felt like it wore off too quick. I am being upped to 300my xl and hoping I'll get better results. Still best med I've ever tried!"

JanetLM April 9, 2016

For Depression "I have struggled with depression and anxiety for some time, now. I was initially worried that the stimulating effects would exacerbate my anxiety, and it did--but only temporarily. Wellbutrin XL 300mg has been the ONLY antidepressant that has worked. I take it in combination with Effexor XR 75mg. I was taken off Wellbutrin in an attempt to switch to Effexor only, but it became quickly apparent that Wellbutrin controlled most of the depressive symptoms. I stopped it for 2 months--both of which were awful. Within a week of resuming Wellbutrin, my depression began to lift. I still have bad days, of course, but the effects of Wellbutrin make me more energized and ready to take on the world."

anonymous1245 April 7, 2016

For Depression "My daughter suffered from depression and anxiety and had tried SSRIs. We thought this might help give her more energy and feel better since it affects dopamine. However, over the summer her anxiety got worse. At college her anxiety got even worse. She became paranoid and even started hearing voices. She ate very little and slept very little. She stopped going to classes and had suicidal thoughts. She called me and said she felt constantly "jittery," so I told her to get off the drug. Basically, it increased her energy and made her mood much worse. I don't recommend this for someone who suffers from anxiety since it affects norepinephrine - the fight or flight response."

Feeling Tired (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

For Depression "I started on wellbutrin about 8 months ago for clinical depression, and while it hasn't been a miracle cure, things could deffinitly be worse. It really has been a gentler medication in terms of side effects. The only medication I tried before this was lexapro, and geez was that rough (sexual side effects, extreme lethargy, brain fog, memory loss, weight gain etc). I switched to wellbutrin as an alternative, and experienced mellow side effects while adjusting (lethargy, drowsiness) which only lasted for about 3 weeks. Cons: Significant rebound depression if I miss a dose, insomnia if taken at night (it's a stimulant), occasional bouts of depression (it hasn't been a complete fix). Sometimes I'll get really bad brain fog if I mistime dose."

hmmmcan'tthinkofagoodnickname March 30, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I really did not intend to review wellbutrin...just curious what other people said...but so much "neg" I felt I had to speak. I've been on it for 29 YEARS! I had been seriously depressed for a few months..my therapist was a moron for waiting three months to send me to a Psych! I was told it would take at least 2 weeks to be really effective...for me it was day 17. I woke up and when I first looked in the mirror(gut check time) I didn't say to myself "wow I feel better" I said "omg is this what normal people feel like when they wake up in the morning?" For all practical purposes that was like my actual birthday...the day I became a fully functioning human. I'm lucky, it works and it keeps working."

Davidagain March 27, 2016

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on this medication for about 2 weeks now. I had some bad side-effects to the point where I had to stop taking this medication. I rate it a five because I feel like it had the potential to be a good medication - regardless of the side-effects I experienced."

Nvoug (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

For Depression "I was diagnosed with B.E.D, P.T.S.D, and Depression. My doctor put me on this medication about a week ago and I feel so much better! I have tried a lot of other anti-depressants and none of them have ever worked for me. They would make me sleep more (and usually I sleep like 14-16 hours a day anyway) and just feel emotionally numb. I am currently sleeping 8 hours a night and waking up feeling energized. It has also helped with the B.E.D. Yesterday was my first day not having the issues I usually have with food. I seen some comments that say the person felt good for a while and then in wore off. I am currently on 150MG and on Monday I will increase to 300MG. I will comment again when I have been on it for a few months :)"

Isuelde March 12, 2016

For Depression "I have been diagnosed with GAD, SAD, and depression. Before Wellbutrin I had only tried SSRI's like cymbalta and lexapro; they were TERRIBLE. I have gone untreated before trying those meds and they did nothing for my depression, just made me feel emotionally numb. The first 3 months on wellbutrin were terrible too, huge panic attacks all the time and my anxiety worsened. Now, this is my 6th month and I can proudly say that it is working!!! Compared to my pre-medicated self, I have more energy and am actually able to follow through with activities I wouldn't have thought of doing before. Most importantly, I'm finally not depressed!!! It took away that really tough barrier depression had on me that prevented me from enjoying my life."

Alittlenutty (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2016

For Depression "Did not help me. Made me feel extremely tired to the point I was falling asleep while driving and during class (which wasn't like me, because I'm also on Vyvanse (A stimulant)) Went off it quickly."

marbelt (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

For Depression "At first it seemed to help a lot. My depression lightened up, I felt motivated to do daily things. Cook clean and hobbies I like. But then I felt suicidal thoughts ran rampant and it was scary. I knew that u had to stop taking this medication so I did."

Elephantasis (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2016

For Depression "It helped me feel better, lose a bit of weight and stop smoking much better for me than SSRIs"

ceve1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2016

For Depression "I started yesterday was lil nervous but took my first pill at 3 pm about 1 hr. Later I was soooo tired I past out woke up at 5pm. My husband just got home from work usually dinner is ready he understands what I'm dealing with so he said rest omg I fell asleep till 7pm had the strangest dream & I decided to take it tonight trying to get a feel for best time to take it, right now I feel like I'm walking threw strobe light tunnel almost feel like I don't know what the hell in doing, not hungry at all just feel zombie out but this is new to me"

Nikki-ram79 (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

For Depression "I asked my doctor if we could try something different as I was on Effexor and the sexual side effects were kind of rough on a newlywed. He prescribed Wellbutrin. Not only did I rapidly taper off Effexor, but the Wellbutrin send me into a manic state where all I did was clean, yell, and cry. I had panic attacks all the time. Wellbutrin will definitely not help with anxiety."

Bmal February 15, 2016

For Depression "Any benefit that this drug may have offered me for depression was overshadowed by the side effects, particularly intractable insomnia. I became more depressed from the lack of quality or regular sleep. Discontinued it after 10 weeks and still not sleeping normally one week later. Wish I had never touched Wellbutrin."

Tex1289 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

For Depression "My main depression symptoms were fatigue, lethargy and memory problems among others. And wellbutrin was a life changer for me. It really helps me. I also experienced some side effects. First were mild, short headaches. I learned that sufficient hydration solves these. Next was severe insomnia. When taking only Wellbutrin, I can get 5 to max 6 h of sleep per night. I have tried some calming supplement and they helped. Last side effect is systemic joint discomfort and pain. I'm trying to help this with turmeric now. I also had a negative experience with Wellbutrin interaction to Passion flower (Passiflora Incarnata). I was trying to help my insomnia with passion flower extract and became depressive again as I was before the Wellbutrin."

Rob69ert (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed Wellbutrin by my doctor when I told her that I was having a very difficult time getting out of bed and wanting to be productive one month ago. My doc prescribed me Wellbutrin 150 xl, which has as an added bonus made me completely stop smoking and even become repulsed by cigarettes. No negative side effects. Wellbutrin has reduced my urge to drink alcohol by 90%, and when I do drink, I feel intoxicated after only 2 or 3 drinks. I have been exercising five days a week and eating well to assist in mood elevation. I have more motivation and energy now than a month ago. I am impressed with this medication."

pwnvixen007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "It made me anxious for the first six weeks although I really appreciated the boost in energy. I got a 30 days prescription for Xanax during that time, that really worked. (And that's about as long as you should ever take Xanax, btw). Anyway, I was back to my previous self in 6-8 weeks -- kind of a miracle. Only side effects occasional light headed-ness. Every doctor I have talked to about Wellbutrin loves it. I do too."

Mike_in _CA January 23, 2016

For Depression "I went on Wellbutrin some time ago so I don't remember the dose. I had tried at least 4 SSRI's and didn't get much relief from my depression, mostly a lessening of morbid thoughts. The problem was that all of them without exception made me very drowsy. So my shrink suggested Wellbutrin. I was on it for about 3 months. At first it seemed to make me much better, certainly no drowsiness, but after awhile I got quite depressed again. Finally I stopped and to my amazement the very next day I felt substantially better! I knew my depression wasn't cured but I knew for sure that Wellbutrin had made me worse."

PauldJ January 7, 2016

For Depression "I'm desperate. My husband has suffered from severe depression for over a year. He went thru it in 2008 also. He got better then by treating it naturally and treating for candida. When it started this time I suggested a anti depressant. He had tried several before with bad experiences every time. This time he first was put on effexor.. Increased suicidal thoughts. Then they went to cymbalta.. Even worse. Have tried different natural options for months And at times see improvement. He is afraid of anymore prescriptions. I keep coming back to welbutrin and wondering if it would help him get his life back. I'm afraid I'm going to lose him."

Faith291- January 5, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was on 150 MG efexor for nearly a year and continued suffering with depression and anxiety. It affected my libido to the point that I couldn't stand being touched by my husband. I've been on wellbutrin for nearly three weeks and it's been a miracle for me. My energy level is up, I can focus again, and my libido has increased. The only negative I have had is it doesn't help my anxiety."

coming together December 31, 2015

For Depression "I started taking this a week ago I think, I never wanted to use meds but I'm in the middle of a major depressive episode that began around mid-late October. I'm a single mom of a 4 year old. I feel like she takes more care of me then I can her sometimes and that makes me feel awful. I decided to ask my for my doctor to do something because I figured nothing could feel worse. Day 1 I had a lot of energy, days 2-4 I was very anxious and irrate over nothing. That has now passed but I still don't feel better, not really. I don't feel overwhelmed with the feeling of wanting to die, so I guess that's good but I still feel it. I'm not suicidal though, I have been in years. I just don't want to move out of my bed clean the house or do anything really."

00010 December 23, 2015

For Depression "Hi, I'm 18 years old.. I started taking Wellbutrin 3 months ago when my Psychiatrist put me on. I looked up reviews up in here, and recommended I should be prescribed. Anyway, the first couple months are horrible but don't give up! 1 month ago all my problems with Prozac were alleviated my focus was 10X better (I also have ADHD so my grades skyrocketed)! And my depression died..yes DIED, I laugh so much now people at my school ask me why I laugh so much it's refreshing actually. Anyway... Prozac gave me severe loss of libido (on a serious note) I'm 18 so it bothered me horribly that I had a low sex drive on Prozac after months on end of taking Prozac my libido became ED.... And I lived a fairly healthy life trust me. Wellbutrin fixed my problems"

ADHD advocate December 22, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been off and on of this medication for about 8 years. I originally started it to help me quit smoking (which worked wonders for me, I was able to quit) and later was put back on it for seasonal depression disorder. It helps me a lot with depression, especially as it worsens in the winter. Side effects I experience is increased anxiety, heart palpitations, increased heart rate. I've been on 300 mg (150mg twice a day) before and my anxiety was horrible. If you're on a higher dose and suffer with anxiety you may want to try a lower dose. I currently take 150 mg a day and it's very helpful. It gives you that spark of motivation you need in the mornings."

Courageousdad07 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2015

For Depression "2 months ago, all I wanted to do was lay in bed all day & to be constantly distracted. I was always tired & Very irritable. I needed energy drinks to feel %u02BBawake%u02BB. I had constant thoughts of suicide and always over ate. Now after 6 weeks on the generic wellbutrin, I feel like a totally different person. I have energy to last me all day, I am much happier and I actually want to socialize with people. I laugh more & never cry. I am so happy this worked... I had a rough life and couldn't stop feeling like suicide was my only way out... This medicine is the best thing that ever happened to me."

Tired, Overweight and Depressd (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2015

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I originally started out on solely Prozac for depression. I noticed a moderate amount of difference and because of my lack of focus (after a few months of adjusting to Prozac), my psychiatrist gave me the option of combining Prozac with Wellbutrin. The first time around it really wrecked havoc on my GI and I found out that is extremely rare. I took a couple months off of the Wellbutrin and went back to Prozac alone. About 9-10 months ago, I started back on the duo and I have had zero problems since. No side effects and I have actually noticed quite a significant difference when taking it before bed. I wake up extremely energized. I have never been on Wellbutrin alone, but I can safely say this combination has been fantastic in the AM/PM."

Puree_Heist (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2015